The Union Forever: A TL

Glad you liked the updates. Cheers!

Thanks. I'm glad to be commenting more frequently than I have been in the last few months (I cached up on a few chapters some weeks back, and hopefully I wont fall that behind in the story again. :cool:).

What about the war between Japan and the US?

Without a 2nd 'great war' to really deter wars all around, I suppose it's possible, but Japan's large economy and ability to project power all around East Asia will likely mean diplomatic channels are used. Hopefully, anyway.

Possible WW2

Likely a war with Japan would be a 2nd great war given the size and military might of the two countries involved. Also in such a war it most likely becomes a "let's all get the Japs" affair :p as every major European country piles on. (Does any European country have good relations with Japan?) Japan's allies might join in only to be destroyed along with Japan, as I don't think even they would be able to stand up to US, British Commonwealth, Germany, Russia, China, and possibly France and Italy.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation. Probably won't happen but it would certainly be interesting.

Likely a war with Japan would be a 2nd great war given the size and military might of the two countries involved. Also in such a war it most likely becomes a "let's all get the Japs" affair :p as every major European country piles on. (Does any European country have good relations with Japan?) Japan's allies might join in only to be destroyed along with Japan, as I don't think even they would be able to stand up to US, British Commonwealth, Germany, Russia, China, and possibly France and Italy.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation. Probably won't happen but it would certainly be interesting.

I agree it probably wont happen. Plus I'm pretty sure Mac already said there woundlt be a WW2 analog in this world. Interesting idea though.

If there is a war over Japan, it'll probably be between them and the US. Just my two cents.

What about the war between Japan and the US?

He's probably keeping that under wraps ;) Though he has hinted at another war sometime in the future. Possibly in the 20th century, possibly in the 21st. I for one am hoping the TL continues until at least 2020.

Though for my two cents on any possible US/Japan war, I think it would be a primarily naval war with some island storming, no occupation of Japan itself. Japan is just too powerful and doesn't appear as fanatically militaristic TTL to make a 'fight to the death' style conflict practical.

He's probably keeping that under wraps ;) Though he has hinted at another war sometime in the future. Possibly in the 20th century, possibly in the 21st. I for one am hoping the TL continues until at least 2020.

Though for my two cents on any possible US/Japan war, I think it would be a primarily naval war with some island storming, no occupation of Japan itself. Japan is just too powerful and doesn't appear as fanatically militaristic TTL to make a 'fight to the death' style conflict practical.

He sure seems to be, and as its his world, he can if he wants to. It makes the speculation much more worthwhile I guess. :)

2020's might be a bit too far, though I hope this story is continued at least into the present day.

I agree with your consensus for a future Japan-US war.

Without a 2nd 'great war' to really deter wars all around, I suppose it's possible, but Japan's large economy and ability to project power all around East Asia will likely mean diplomatic channels are used. Hopefully, anyway.

I agree it probably wont happen. Plus I'm pretty sure Mac already said there woundlt be a WW2 analog in this world. Interesting idea though.

If there is a war over Japan, it'll probably be between them and the US. Just my two cents.

He sure seems to be, and as its his world, he can if he wants to. It makes the speculation much more worthwhile I guess. :)

2020's might be a bit too far, though I hope this story is continued at least into the present day.

I agree with your consensus for a future Japan-US war.

I hope he continues the timeline to the logical conclusion of all timelines: 1984 superstates. :p

Great to see all the speculation. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Germany has fairly good relations with Japan, but their recent moves against the Dutch have strained things a bit. France and Italy aren't friendly with Japan but don't really have any competing interests either.

Germany has fairly good relations with Japan, but their recent moves against the Dutch have strained things a bit. France and Italy aren't friendly with Japan but don't really have any competing interests either.

Yeah, looking back at it, Germany and its allies (apart from the Dutch in Indonesia) and the Turin Pact have no real conflicts of interest in Asia. The Turin pact probably isn't happy about Japan's military government, but don't care that much as Japan is on the other side of the world and doesn't affect them much.

Japan's real enemies are going to be Britain, because of all its colonies in the area; Russia because of Manchuria; China because the Chinese and Japanese just always seem to hate each other; and the U.S. because of the many pacific territories they have near Japan.

Picturing it on a map helps. Anyone near Japan doesn't like them (with a few exceptions), but those further away don't have as much of a problem.

1968: Domestic Development

Domestic Developments
In June, the alternate-history western Sacred Honor premiered eventually becoming the highest grossing movie of the decade. Set in a fractured America a few decades after the “Great Depression” of the 1890s, Sacred Honor follows a rag tag group of fighter pilots as they try to help reestablish the United States government in the American West.[1] Critics hailed the movie’s artful blending of genres and innovative use of special effects although some found the film’s patriotic tone heavy handed.

In September, the United States conducted the first successful flyby of the planet Mars with the probe Trailblazer 3. While providing the first close up photographs of the Martian surface, the cratered environment and lack of substantial atmosphere did much to diminish the centuries old hope of finding life on Mars.

In the early months of1968 it looked more than certain that Frank MacArthur would be relegated to a single term as president with a sluggish economy at home, the LAR in turmoil over Brazil, and Germany beating America to create the first atomic bomb. The Democrats nominated distinguished congressman Warren Maddox of Vermont and former governor of New Mexico Terrance Barnes who derided MacArthur’s “hands on management” as a recipe for economic stagnation and foreign policy chaos. Undeterred, MacArthur and Vice President Gavin threw themselves into the electoral race crisscrossing the country trying to convince voters to stay the course with their economic reforms and support for democracy in Latin America. As November neared, it became clear that the economy had finally recovered from the Latin American Banking Crisis with unemployment falling below 6% for the first time in five years. However, it is generally believed that it was the triumph of the LAR backed Constitutionalists in the Brazilian Civil War that tipped the campaign in the Republicans favor. By the end of election night, MacArthur was reelected with a slim popular majority and 346 electoral votes. Congress remained unchanged with the Democrats controlling the House and Republicans the Senate.
attachment.php

[1] Sacred Honor could be described as a mix of certain elements of OTL’s Crimson Skies and The Postman.

Last edited:
So Sacred Honor is a world where the U.S. collapsed in the "Great Depression" and fragmented into all these different countries?

Republicans were really saved at the last second there. If the Constitutionalists hadn't won for another month...

In terms of space exploration, there seems to be a four-way space race with U.S., Germany, Russia, and Britain. Has any country made plans of going to the moon, or with the lack of a cold war is that not a priority? It would be interesting to see what is going on with each countries space program and if any others have a possibility of starting one (maybe Japan?).

Very cool alternate history flick! I'm glad to see it's being considered a serious genre here :D

Also Japan seems to have a tough time in Asia, but they also have a few significant advantages. The first of course is that they seem to be a very competent military power. The second is that all their potential enemies in the region (excluding the US) have one reason or another to not want to upset the status quo, Russia and China have no immense liking for one another, Britain has no desire to see Russia expand her influence in Asia, and the US has to keep a really tight leash on her Chinese ally so they don't do anything silly.

All in all, Japan could expand for quite a while before she really runs into any significant opposition from any one state. Provided she doesn't decide to just invade mainland China of course, then she really has screwed the pooch as that would probably cause an American intervention, which Russia might support in order to carve up more Chinese territory.

So far though the international community can probably exert significant pressure on them from doing anything that silly.

I freaking loved the Alternate History western as well. :D:cool: I wonder what the rest of the world looks like in the Sacred Honor world? Does the Great War ever happen?

I'm also glad that President MacArthur was reelected. :D I expect great things from the rest of his term.

So Sacred Honor is a world where the U.S. collapsed in the "Great Depression" and fragmented into all these different countries?

Republicans were really saved at the last second there. If the Constitutionalists hadn't won for another month...

In terms of space exploration, there seems to be a four-way space race with U.S., Germany, Russia, and Britain. Has any country made plans of going to the moon, or with the lack of a cold war is that not a priority? It would be interesting to see what is going on with each countries space program and if any others have a possibility of starting one (maybe Japan?).

Yep, the Constitutionalists victory was a God send for the Republicans. Good observation on the space race. Yes, multiple nations are currently debating starting a lunar program.