The Union Forever: A TL

I of course have not seen Sacred Honor, but from what it sounds like, the writers probably focused solely on the US (or what's left of it) and didn't bother too much about the rest of the world, only including information if it pertained to the story. It would be really cool it were made it into a series, or at least set some other movies in the same world.

I would imagine that the popularity of Sacred Honor would spark sequels and spin-offs.

1969: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

Flag of the Sudanese Republic​

On March 1, after decades of British rule, the Sudan was granted independence in yet another example of Britain’s Liberal government disengaging from the less profitable areas of its Empire. In Khartoum, Zubair Mayardit and Rashid Lagu were sworn in respectively as the first President and Prime Minister of the Sudanese Republic. Britain’s conditions for allowing Sudan self-rule were relatively light, demanding only that the new government keep the rail line to Cairo open to Commonwealth traffic and allow naval basing rights at the new nation’s chief port of Suakin on the Red Sea.

Throughout 1969, the Laotian War continued to rage in Southeast Asia. Vietnamese offensives to capture Khanthabouli and Xieng Khoun were both repulsed by Siamese forces. A planned counterattack by Siam into Vietnamese territory was only stopped when Vietnam’s ally Norodom Vam the dictator of the State of Kampuchea entered the war against Siam in July. Even with Kampuchea joining the fight, Siam continued to hold the upper hand thanks in part to military aid from Great Britain and China. Foreign reaction to the conflict in Southeast Asia was generally pro-Siamese with the noticeable exception of Japan who favored their Vietnamese and Kapuchean allies providing considerable military assistance by way of munitions and supplies.

On July 22, the Erol Adem Macar Bridge was opened becoming the first bridge to span the Bosporus since the construction of a pontoon bridge by Persian Emperor Xerxes I in 480 B.C. Named after the Turkish Republic’s first president, the 1,566 meter bridge was deemed an engineering wonder and symbolic of Turkey’s growing ties to Europe.

On August 3, German Chancellor Florian Kruger announced the creation of the Máni-Programm with the aim of “putting a German on the moon within the next decade.” Not to be outdone, President Frank MacArthur would commit America to a lunar mission, known as the Artemis Initiative, a few weeks later stating that his country was “more than up to the challenge”.

After more than seven years of fighting, the war in the Dutch East Indies came to an abrupt end with the signing of the Treaty of Geneva in September. The catalyst for peace occurred a few months earlier when news of a massacre of no less than 724 civilians by Dutch soldiers in the city of Lahat forced the collapse of Prime Minister Manfred Sevriens’s government leading to the rise of a new ruling collation under the anti-imperialist Christian-Progressive Party. At the negotiations in Geneva it was agreed that the Netherlands would end its centuries of colonialism in the region and cede authority to an interim government following elections in December. As expected, the Indonesian Congress Party (ICP) swept the elections with Slamet Wahyu hastily inaugurated as the nation’s first president on New Year’s Day 1970. While the estimates on casualties for the conflict vary widely, most western sources place the fatalities at 9,349 deaths for the Dutch and around 110,000 Indonesians killed including civilians.

Last edited:
More and more "Third World countries" getting their act together, it seems (what with Sudan getting their independence); hopefully they'll end up in a better spot than OTL's Sudan.

The Laotian War seems to be spooling up unfortunately. At least Siam seems to be holding their own up till now, perhaps they need a foreign backer of their own? (;)).

The Bosporus Bridge is pretty cool, but more importantly; THE MOON RACE HAS BEGUN! Only this time, it's the Germans we gotta take on instead of the Russians...unless other countries decide to join in and make it a free-for-all. C'mon, let's get to the Moon first! :D

More and more "Third World countries" getting their act together, it seems (what with Sudan getting their independence); hopefully they'll end up in a better spot than OTL's Sudan.

The Laotian War seems to be spooling up unfortunately. At least Siam seems to be holding their own up till now, perhaps they need a foreign backer of their own? (;)).

The Bosporus Bridge is pretty cool, but more importantly; THE MOON RACE HAS BEGUN! Only this time, it's the Germans we gotta take on instead of the Russians...unless other countries decide to join in and make it a free-for-all. C'mon, let's get to the Moon first! :D

I want a Commonwealth Jack on the moon first! :D

I second this motion ;)

Also, I'm glad to see the 'Third World' getting more of a fair trade here. Maybe not as advanced as they could be, but far less of the post colonial crap they had to put up with in OTL. Nice change that, though I'm certain there will be some success stories and some...not so successful ones. Turkey is coming along nicely I'm happy to see.

SE Asia seems to be heating up for sure, definitely going to a point of contention amongst the Great Powers with Japan supporting anti-colonial movements and pandering to its militarist allies. Now if they form an alliance with anti-colonial India...well things will get much more interesting as the Chinese say.

Also, we're almost into the 1970s woot!!! :D:D:D:D

Hopefully Sudan has much better luck in TTL.

And war in South-East Asia is escalating. Probably China enters to war soon. It probably want still Hainan back.

And Moon race has begun. But win Germans this too?

Once again, another great update. :cool: I agree, it's nice to see third world nations have it better in this world. Some might still have it hard, but its still good that so many others have it better than OTL.

Nice to see Indonesia independent. The Dutch were really getting bogged down, and by this point there wasn't much they could gain. As for the war in Indochina, I'm rooting for Siam. I guess that's because they'll keep fascist Japan at bay.

Glad to see the Moon race begin. I have a feeling Germany might win, but I do hope that most of the major power blocs do make it.

Last edited:

I second this motion ;)

I third it. ITTL, UK can into space.;)

Sudan, independent. Why wasn't there an effort to make Sudan a Commonwealth nation? I guess Sudan wasn't worth putting HM on their currency, I guess. :p

This war in Siam is getting ugly. I can't help but think America is going to be dragged into this, by the end of the day.

The Germans taking the lead again? I like MacArthur, but he can't let this keep happening. This isn't going to help him or his party in the midterms with the perception that the US is merely playing catch-up with the Kaiser.

The war in Indonesia is over. Good for the Indonesians (and the Japanese). We'll see how Indonesia plays out in an increasingly unstable Asia.

I third it. ITTL, UK can into space.;)

Sudan, independent. Why wasn't there an effort to make Sudan a Commonwealth nation? I guess Sudan wasn't worth putting HM on their currency, I guess. :p

This war in Siam is getting ugly. I can't help but think America is going to be dragged into this, by the end of the day.

The Germans taking the lead again? I like MacArthur, but he can't let this keep happening. This isn't going to help him or his party in the midterms with the perception that the US is merely playing catch-up with the Kaiser.

The war in Indonesia is over. Good for the Indonesians (and the Japanese). We'll see how Indonesia plays out in an increasingly unstable Asia.

The reason there wasn't a big push to make Sudan a Commonwealth nation is that it was increasingly expensive to administer the territory and there was little native support for retaining Edward VIII as the head of state. With that being said, Sudan still remains heavily tied to Britain, with British commercial interests well protected.

Just out of curiosity why Sudan and not any other African colony? or is this the beginning of a rapid decolonization for most if not all British colonies in Africa?

Good to see the war end in Indonesia. But 724 civilians killed :eek: ?!?! What happened to provoke that? I'm glad the dutch have enough humanity to get rid of a government that does that.

Laotian War is heating up. What is Laos position on the war? Is it being fought in their territory or just between Siam and Vietnam (and now Kampuchea). What do the Laotian people think of the war?

Germans are raising the bar in the Space Race. Had any other nation even planned to send people to the moon?

Oh and someone will need to update the 1970 map for these recent changes.

Good to see the war end in Indonesia. But 724 civilians killed :eek: ?!?! What happened to provoke that? I'm glad the dutch have enough humanity to get rid of a government that does that.

Sometimes war just get people doing terrible things. Have you heard about My Lai? Hopefully Dutch soldiers get harsh punishment about war crimes.

I just had a thought:

Given that the Bonaparte's remain in power, could we see Napoleon III's plan to partition Algeria go through? This would create a European coastal area, and a "royaume arabe" in the interior, with a military district in the Sahara.

I believe you are mistaken. The Bonaparte's lost power after the Great War.

Just out of curiosity why Sudan and not any other African colony? or is this the beginning of a rapid decolonization for most if not all British colonies in Africa?

Laotian War is heating up. What is Laos position on the war? Is it being fought in their territory or just between Siam and Vietnam (and now Kampuchea). What do the Laotian people think of the war?

Germans are raising the bar in the Space Race. Had any other nation even planned to send people to the moon?

Oh and someone will need to update the 1970 map for these recent changes.

Good questions, I will answer them later.

I will post the updated maps in a bit.

Map looks great! A thought: will South Africa ever annex that British colony that is part of OTL Namibia?

Can't wait for 1970s updates :)

Can't wait for the next update. In the mean time, heres an more detailed version of the 1970 map posted above, which I actually made before that was posted :)p).

TUF1970.png