The Union Forever: A TL

First female supreme court justice is bit earlier than in OTL, right? Anyway, has there been already female secretary on American government?

Yes, the first female cabinet secretary was Secretary of the Interior Blanche Stabenow of Indiana appointed by President Daniel Warburton in 1937.

Yeungling sounds Chinese to me.

You should try it, if you like beer. It's great. A great example of how 'all American beer sucks' is patently false.

No, the other way around.

I don't drink any alcohol.

Oh, I read that wrong. I blame my phone.

Mac, you're a saint. This almost makes up for TTL's lack of Spoetzl Brewery.

Amen to that! Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to get it west of the Mississippi River :(. All points east, however, and it's really easy to get (especially from Connecticut to Georgia).

I can find it all over the place here in Columbia, MO.

Nope, German. It's what David Gottlob Jüngling anglized his name to.

Still Yeung Ling could work. . .

Really?! I've yet to see it in Texas or Louisiana! Well, looks like I'm going on a Missouri-bound roadtrip in my future :D. I suppose being next to the Mississippi means it's more readily available than in the Southwest.

I will buy you a beer. There is a bar here that has it on tap most of the time.

Anyway, great update, Mac.

I took a look at the Yuengling distributors on their website (http://www.yuengling.com/distributors) , the only states that aren't on the Atlantic seaboard with Yuengling distributors are Ohio and Tennessee, which means the closest distributor to Texas is either Pensacola or Memphis. Also check out the beer finder at http://www.yuengling.com/distributors2/ , (and I checked, nothing within 100 miles of Dallas.

Well, Schlitz is an inherently funny word, so it makes up for it (and yes, I thought long and hard about what I could add to the alcohol debate, and that was the best I got).

You're on, I'll be sure to PM you when I'm fixin' to go :D. Missouri, of all places, man that's awesome.

Oh no argument here about the funny name, it just doesn't taste any better to me than PBR or Natty Ice :p.

I wouldn't know about that. Like Beedok, I don't drink alcohol (though in my case it may have something to do with being underage).

I'm sorry to hear that. Take it from a beer snob like yours truly, those beers are like nasty bread-water. Should you ever get around to trying quality beers, try Yuengling, Shiner Bock, Newcastle, Guinness or smaller craft beers. Those are absolutely delicious :D.

In the states I'm under aged.

Wow! Leave it to beer to generate the most discussion we have had on an update in a while. And yes, I think we are all happy that ITTL you can walk into any bar, petrol station, or grocery and order a Yuengling. Except for Mississippi of course, that state is still dry ITTL.

Last edited:
What exactly were the Japanese doing to the people of Hainan?

Well considering their tender ministrations of occupied territory OTL, and their prejudice against the Chinese, I would hazard a guess at nothing good.

Then again perhaps the Japanese are slightly different ITTL and are gentler masters, but from the sounds of things its not likely.

In the years following the Sino-Japanese War, Japan has done its best to cement its rule over Hainan through a mix of oppression and forced assimilation. Nearly half of the 2.5 million Chinese have already left and been replaced by Japanese colonists. For the Chinese that do remain they are treated as second class citizens with their economic and political heavily curtailed.

Yuengling ITTL? Exxxcellent. :D

I just got back from PA. It was nice being able to ask for a "Lager" at a bar and only get the question "Draft or bottle?"

The way the owner sticks it to the union sucks, but it's the bestselling American-owned beer in the OTL US for a reason.

Last edited:
1968: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

aswan-dam-built-at-the-first-cataract-of-the-nile-river.jpg

Aswan High Dam
1968​

In February, the 8th Winter Olympic Games are held in the Canadian city of Tobermory, Vesperia.[1]

The spring of 1968 would witness the deaths of George V of Great Britain and Friedrich IV of Germany, both of whom passed away within weeks of each other. Having reigned for 15 and 27 years respectively, they were succeeded by their eldest sons who were crowned Edward VIII and Friedrich Wilhelm V.

In Russia, the volatile July Duma elections saw impressive gains made by various soyuznyy/союзный or “confederate” parties who favored more autonomy for their ethnic group or region from the central government in St. Petersburg. While, the conservative coalition headed by the Motherland Party retained control of the government, many Russians were tiring of their over two decades in power.

After six years of inconclusive fighting, representatives of the Dutch government and Slamet Wahyu’s pro-independence Indonesian Congress Party (ICP) met in the Swiss city of Geneva in September to negotiate an end to the war. While the ICP had made some gains on Java and Sumatra, disagreement of the fate of Indonesia’s eastern islands prohibited a settlement from being reached. As such, negations and the war would drag on into 1969, as both sides tried desperately to gain the upper hand. In the Netherlands, public opinion was turning against the war despite an increase of aid from Germany.

On October 3, after months of fighting with Constitutionalist forces, the military backed government of Brazilian President Geraldo Gaspar collapsed culminating with a weeklong street battle in the capital in what became known as the Battle of Rio de Janeiro. Ronaldo Araugo returned from exile and was reinstated as president. Gaspar along with several of his generals however managed to escape and were granted asylum in neighboring Venezuela. In the weeks following his return to power, Araugo oversaw the arrest of dozens of coup supporters and Brazil’s return to the League of American Republics where he received a standing ovation. Despite the Constitutionalists triumph, Brazil remained traumatized and divided over the events of the past few years. As such Araugo called for a constitutional convention to meet in April of the following year in order to “heal the national wounds”.

After nine years of construction the Aswan High Dam across the Nile River is officially declared complete in November greatly reduced the flooding and droughts that had plagued Egypt for millennium. Considered an engineering marvel, the massive project was only made possible by sizable loans of money and expertise by the British government. Many viewed the United Kingdom’s generosity as a practical move to keep the Egyptian government happy over Britain’s continuous administration of the Suez Canal.

In early December, war finally erupted between the Kingdom of Siam and the Empire of Vietnam. Referred to as the Laotian War, the death of Laotian King Samane II was the spark that ignited hostiles as both nations wished to place their own candidate on the throne. Many feared that the war would expanded drawing in other Asian nations.
[1] OTL’s Calgary, Alberta

Last edited:
So the war just drags on in Indonesia. What is the current death toll for each side and where do they stand in terms of strategic goals for winning the war? Also what is the opinion in the US on the war?

Hmm, more autonomy for non-Russians in the Russian empire in the future? Will any groups resort to violence to gain independence from Russia :eek: ? (I'm thinking Poland...)

Good to see Brazil rejoin the LAR after their brief hiatus :D:D:D

War in Asia...how will major powers (Britain, Japan, Russia, India, China, US) react?

Last edited:
Good to see another update

Double deaths? I think this new Edward VIII will reign over the Commonwealth during interesting times.

No surprise in the Duma election. However, the Motherland Party would be wise to at least give a sop to the confederate parties. A little autonomy could prevent violent independence movements in the future.

It's really getting bad for the Dutch in Indonesia. I think the rebels have the upper hand in this one, unlike in India during the previous decade.

Wow, the coup didn't last a year. How odd.

I wonder who Japan will support in the Laotian War.

Damn SE Asia is heating up :eek: This will probably lead to a larger war somewhere down the line if India jumps into the fray!

Glad to see the British Empire acting as a plus in Africa :D

Also, what are the effects of the Sultan of Arabia declaring himself Caliph? I can imagine there are some big social and political repercussions amongst the Sunni world.

So the war just drags on in Indonesia. What is the current death toll for each side and where do they stand in terms of strategic goals for winning the war? Also what is the opinion in the US on the war?

Hmm, more autonomy for non-Russians in the Russian empire in the future? Will any groups resort to violence to gain independence from Russia :eek: ? (I'm thinking Poland...)

Good to see Brazil rejoin the LAR after their brief hiatus :D:D:D

War in Asia...how will major powers (Britain, Japan, Russia, India, China, US) react?

I'll post the body count at the end of the war. The U.S. supports Indonesian independence but is worried about their close relations with Japan. As for the Laotion war, Britian and China are pro-Siam while Japan supports Vietnam.

Damn SE Asia is heating up :eek: This will probably lead to a larger war somewhere down the line if India jumps into the fray!

Glad to see the British Empire acting as a plus in Africa :D

Also, what are the effects of the Sultan of Arabia declaring himself Caliph? I can imagine there are some big social and political repercussions amongst the Sunni world.

I'll have to cover that more later, but at the time it was a very big deal with two rival caliphs one in Istanbul and one in Arabia. When the Ottoman Empire finally collapsed however most simply switched over to Arabia. Still having a Caliph if only in name only has been a key factor in stopping the rise of radical Islam ITTL.

I'll have to cover that more later, but at the time it was a very big deal with two rival caliphs one in Istanbul and one in Arabia. When the Ottoman Empire finally collapsed however most simply switched over to Arabia. Still having a Caliph if only in name only has been a key factor in stopping the rise of radical Islam ITTL.

Ah I look forward to it :D The lack of radical Islam is also refreshing!

Given the delay in decolonization, I think German Cameroon and Portuguese Angola would have very larger settler populations, and could be candidates for direct integration into Germany and Portugal respectively.

I think race-relations have advanced a bit too quickly in South Africa. I don't think that universal suffrage would be possible yet (keep in mind, many English South-Africans were just as racist as their Afrikaner counterparts). I do think suffrage could be granted to educated blacks in South Africa, but I think universal suffrage is a step too far.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but were Indians granted complete franchise in Kenya? If they were, there is a good chance that Indians would make up a large portion (perhaps a majority) of Kenya's population. Given the conflict in the subcontinent, I could see Kenya as an attractive place for Indian immigration.

Valid points Reagent. We will have to agree to disagree on South Africa. I wasn't tracking that their were so many Indians in East Africa. I will cover that region in a later update. Cheers!

I really enjoyed the last two updates. Nice to see a female Supreme Court justice.

I think I asked this earlier, but will war between Japan and the US ever happen? Whatever the case the current regime in Japan may have to fall some time or another.

On a similar note, let's hope the war in Indonesia ends soon, and that a compromise that pleases both sides is reached. With the Laotian War, south east Asia seems an even more hectic region than ever.

Nice to see minorities in Russia eventually getting more rights, and to see Brazil back in the LAR. The Aswan High Dam and the Rugby game back in the states were cool too.

I really enjoyed the last two updates. Nice to see a female Supreme Court justice.

I think I asked this earlier, but will war between Japan and the US ever happen? Whatever the case the current regime in Japan may have to fall some time or another.

On a similar note, let's hope the war in Indonesia ends soon, and that a compromise that pleases both sides is reached. With the Laotian War, south east Asia seems an even more hectic region than ever.

Nice to see minorities in Russia eventually getting more rights, and to see Brazil back in the LAR. The Aswan High Dam and the Rugby game back in the states were cool too.

Glad you liked the updates. Cheers!