The Union Forever: A TL

Perhaps Social Democrat Party and Conservative Party. These faction were quiet popular in OTL Prussia on 1860's and soon after unification of Germany.

Here is a map of Europe and Africa and the Near East in 1950
Sorry for reacting to older post. started to read yesterday and now I am on page 90. I have a question. Why is Hungary after lost war keeping Ruthenians territories? Shouldn't they be annexed by Russia?

Last edited:
Sorry for reacting to older post. started to read yesterday and now I am on page 90. I have a question. Why is Hungary after lost war keeping Ruthenians territories? Shouldn't they be annexed by Russia?

Kacko, I hope you are enjoying the TL. I believe on the more current maps the Ruthenian territories were annexed by Russia along with the rest of Galicia. If not can someone fix the map? Cheers!

Hungarian Border.png

Last edited:
Kacko, I hope you are enjoying the TL. I believe on the more current maps the Ruthenian territories were annexed by Russia along with the rest of Galicia. If not can someone fix the map? Cheers!
Thanks. Enjoyed. Done now. Actually, Didn't went to sleep before I finished.

Hmm. Makes me wonder if the Polish independence movement might become a problem for Germany as we move into the '50s and '60s.

A question for you the readers. What do you think the political future of Ireland should be? Currently the Catholic portions of the island are in the self-governing Dominion of Ireland while the protestant north is a part of the United Kingdom. Should Catholic Ireland remain as it is, declare itself a republic, or something else?

A question for you the readers. What do you think the political future of Ireland should be? Currently the Catholic portions of the island are in the self-governing Dominion of Ireland while the protestant north is a part of the United Kingdom. Should Catholic Ireland remain as it is, declare itself a republic, or something else?

Well, it all really depends on how the island's history has played out, I think. IOTL the treaty with Britain led to a brief yet bloody civil war, and political life became polarised along the lines of pro-treaty versus anti-treaty forces. The pro-treaty forces, what became the Fine Gael party, was more right-wing (the movement initially had fascist overtones) but also less scrupulous in its stance on compromise with the Crown, whereas the anti-treaty forces (the Fianna Fàil and the Sinn Fein) were more radical, often had a republican bent and wanted to unify the island under a single republican government. Since it seems like the Irish got a better settlement ITTL, I could imagine that this would stymie the republicans somewhat compared to OTL. We might see a more traditional left-right spectrum emerging in Ireland - without the Civil War divisions dominating Irish politics, economics would probably be the main dividing line. We see this a bit IOTL, with Labour being a leftist Fine Gael offshoot, and Fianna Fàil being a more conservative and pro-clerical faction of Sinn Fein that broke off and grew to become Ireland's majority party for a long time (these parties tend to cooperate along the Civil War dividers, though).

1955: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

Flag of the State of China​

In the months following the deposition of President Dewei Chou, General Zhang Kun consolidated his hold over the country. On February 6th, Zhang announced the formation of the State of China along with his new title of “Leader of the People”. With the Chinese Army fanning out across the country to maintain order, Zhang wisely beseeched Europe and the Americas for shipments of foodstuffs before China’s famine worsened. Many Western nations were less than thrilled by Zhang’s coup against the elected government but most realized that he was the new political reality in China. With foreign aid pouring in, Leader Zhang began the onerous task of repairing the considerable damage left from the late war with Japan. While most in China appreciated the stabilizing of conditions following the disastrous war many liberals at home and abroad viewed Zhang as a rank opportunist for seizing power during the post war chaos.

Prague, the capital of the Kingdom of Bohemia, was selected to host the 1955 World’s Fair. Many visitors commented that the small country, and by extension the fair, seemed as much German as Czech from the bilingual signage to Hohenzollern King Conrad II. Regardless, the exhibition did showcase the impressive advancements Bohemia had made since the devastation of the Great War. Some foreign highlights of the fair included a ballet performance from the Russian Empire, camel rides courtesy the Kingdom of Mesopotamia, and a demonstration of an early video cassette recorder by the United States.

In the 1955 German Elections the ruling Social Democratic Party was replaced by a center-right coalition government of the German Conservative Party and the Christian Democrats. Florian Krueger, the new Conservative Chancellor, was an unwavering supporter of the monarchy and made repeated references to the Emperor as the “bulwark of the German people”. Krueger pressed for a more assertive German foreign policy and a robust military as seen by the construction of massive airbase for the Imperial Air Force on the outskirts of Friedrichburg in German Cameroon.[1] In economic matter’s Kruger favored keeping Germany as the hub of European commerce and began measures that he hoped would lead to the creation of a continental customs union.

1955 would prove to be the bloodiest year of the war in India for those fighting for the crown. Despite the increase in casualties, British and Loyalist forces scored some impressive victories over the rebels including killing Shivraj Yadav the leader of the UFLI during a raid on the city of Jaipur. Though turning him into a martyr for independence, Yadav’s death along with other reversals caused the Indian resistance to begin fracturing. The UFLI continued to be the dominant movement but other organizations, usually based along ethnic or religious lines, splintered off and began waging their own campaigns against the British and occasionally each other.

British troops on patrol in Bengal
November, 1955​

[1] OTL’s Douala

Last edited:
Ouch, India's still quite the ulcer for the British I see :(. Here's hoping the conflict wraps up soon*.

Is Zhang supposed to be a Mao stand-in, or just another tinpot "strongman" as we usually see in failed republics?

Given Germany's ever-expanding influence (something to be wary of in the future, perhaps?), how would you say Bohemia's cultural and political leanings are? Are they like OTL's Czech Republic, or closer to Germany than OTL?

*Regarding the picture in use, it looks like the Brits are issued some fairly swag gear; does this mean they have Special Forces/Deep Recce units now, a la the SAS?

Well, it all really depends on how the island's history has played out, I think. IOTL the treaty with Britain led to a brief yet bloody civil war, and political life became polarised along the lines of pro-treaty versus anti-treaty forces. The pro-treaty forces, what became the Fine Gael party, was more right-wing (the movement initially had fascist overtones) but also less scrupulous in its stance on compromise with the Crown, whereas the anti-treaty forces (the Fianna Fàil and the Sinn Fein) were more radical, often had a republican bent and wanted to unify the island under a single republican government. Since it seems like the Irish got a better settlement ITTL, I could imagine that this would stymie the republicans somewhat compared to OTL. We might see a more traditional left-right spectrum emerging in Ireland - without the Civil War divisions dominating Irish politics, economics would probably be the main dividing line. We see this a bit IOTL, with Labour being a leftist Fine Gael offshoot, and Fianna Fàil being a more conservative and pro-clerical faction of Sinn Fein that broke off and grew to become Ireland's majority party for a long time (these parties tend to cooperate along the Civil War dividers, though).

Interesting points, so overall you think Ireland is more likely to remain a Dominion than turn into Republic or is it up in the air?

Interesting developments. How long did the SPD rule in Germany? Has a welfare state of some kind been formed in Germany?

The Social Democrats, have ruled on and off again in Prussia, and Germany since the 19th Century. Their chief rival are the Conservatives. There is a level of welfare state in Germany but not as much as OTL. Overall Germany is a much more conservative place that OTL's current Germany.

Interesting points, so overall you think Ireland is more likely to remain a Dominion than turn into Republic or is it up in the air?

I think so, yes. There'd just be less impetus to further the political change ITTL, since the division is actually mostly along the religious divider.

The Social Democrats, have ruled on and off again in Prussia, and Germany since the 19th Century. Their chief rival are the Conservatives. There is a level of welfare state in Germany but not as much as OTL. Overall Germany is a much more conservative place that OTL's current Germany.

Makes sense, what with this being the Kaiserreich. Is the NLP still an important force? IOTL they were the biggest party in the Reichstag from unification until the SPD took over that position in the 1900s.