The Union Forever: A TL

Here is a map of Europe and Africa and the Near East in 1950

TUF  1950 Eurafrica Map.png

What is situation of Vatican? Would it be part of Italy or would there be some indepent Papal State? That might be quiet big effects for Catholic Church.

What is situation of Vatican? Would it be part of Italy or would there be some indepent Papal State? That might be quiet big effects for Catholic Church.

I was thinking the same thing, since the Lateran Treaty would be butterflied.

Though since Italy is a Republic, that may complicate matters...

Maybe the Vatican still manages to get what it got OTL, or maybe even the Leoine city, since I suspect The Catholic religion will still have a huge influence in Italy, even if its a Republic

Last edited:
Yes Please! As I have stated earlier, Africa in this TL is a mess and a definitive map would be a much needed addition. I like the look of what pearsonwright has created but let’s make a few changes.

1) I think Italian Africa's borders should be more like those seen below unless you had a good reason for those salients of French territory.

2) Belgium, Spain, and Portugal's African territories' borders should be slightly altered from OTL to reflect butterflies. Shown below are some possible examples.

3) What do y'all think about me adding a small African enclave for Russia that they got after the end of the Great War? and/or one for Sweden or some other neutral country that they would have established in the late 19th Century? If yes where could it be?

4) Does anybody care to take a stab at what South Africa mostly likely looks like at this point in the TL? I’m talking both territorially and politically. All the TL has said about it is that the Boers were defeated like OTL and that it eventually gained Dominion status. Is there any good reason why it should end up different than OTL? I did alter the borders somewhat since Namibia was never colonized by Germany ao some of its territory probably would go to South Africa. Also should Lesotho and Swaziland be independent like in OTL?

Thanks for the feedback!

Africa ALT Map.png

I'm not sure about Portuguese Mozambique cutting across that valley to connect their territory through Malawi. It looks simpler on a political map, but if I remember correctly, the reason for that little 'panhandle' is because the Portuguese went up that river into the continent and consolidated territory there; the Great Rift Valley complicates things.

Yes Please! As I have stated earlier, Africa in this TL is a mess and a definitive map would be a much needed addition. I like the look of what pearsonwright has created but let’s make a few changes.

1) I think Italian Africa's borders should be more like those seen below unless you had a good reason for those salients of French territory.

2) Belgium, Spain, and Portugal's African territories' borders should be slightly altered from OTL to reflect butterflies. Shown below are some possible examples.

3) What do y'all think about me adding a small African enclave for Russia that they got after the end of the Great War? and/or one for Sweden or some other neutral country that they would have established in the late 19th Century? If yes where could it be?

4) Does anybody care to take a stab at what South Africa mostly likely looks like at this point in the TL? I’m talking both territorially and politically. All the TL has said about it is that the Boers were defeated like OTL and that it eventually gained Dominion status. Is there any good reason why it should end up different than OTL? I did alter the borders somewhat since Namibia was never colonized by Germany ao some of its territory probably would go to South Africa. Also should Lesotho and Swaziland be independent like in OTL?

Thanks for the feedback!
1) I disagree with Italy, from what I can tell from early maps, Tunisia-Tripoli was held in condominium between France and the Ottomans, and the rest of the desert was solely French. I don't think Italy has an express need to change the existing boundaries, when It will only cause more problems occupying, and Fezzan is the only valuable part of the Italian Sahara anyway
2)In the map I added, I had some ideas on that
3)Russia would go for more Ottoman Territory I would think, rather than a random chunk of French Africa
4)For South Africa, I think they would like OTL try to increase their White Population so they can stay hold of power, so there might be some apartheid as well. As for Nambia, I cut it in two at Walvis Bay, so that the Majority of white settlers are with South Africa, and the rest of Nambia would be native dominated. I also had the South Rhodesian's accept to be part of South Africa (they decided not to in OTL, but perhaps South Africa's greater participation in the Great War allows for Britain to support the idea. Leothso and Swazliland should be left Independent for now, but I could see South Africa annexing them, once they feel more "demographically sound"

TUF  1950 Eurafrica Map.png

Yeah I can't see Sweden showing up to the bargaining table without some effort to show for it and getting anything.

I think its possible Sweden could have got a tiny part of the Gold Coast before the Great War, but not after

Also, after a discussion I had on the topic of greater settlement of whites in Africa (on another thread), I think Spain would be able to hold onto Spanish Sahara, and Germany might be able to hold onto Cameroon, and Portugal Angola

Last edited:
I think its possible Sweden could have got a tiny part of the Gold Coast before the Great War, but not after

Also, after a discussion I had on the topic of greater settlement of whites in Africa (on another thread), I think Spain would be able to hold onto Spanish Sahara, and Germany might be able to hold onto Cameroon, and Portugal Angola

You mean the former Danish Gold Coast? ;)
That's almost ironic.