The Union Forever: A TL

Next update should be ready by tomorrow. Thanks for y'all's patience and help with the maps!

Sounds great! BTW, when do you deploy? Or has it been cancelled?

Also, I just noticed that pearsonwright's been banned. It seems he was a sockpuppet, of whom I don't know. Too bad. He did some great stuff for TTL.

Last edited:
Sound great! BTW, when do you deploy? Or has it been cancelled?

Also, I just noticed that pearsonwright's been banned. It seems he was a sockpuppet, of whom I don't know. Too bad. He did some great stuff for TTL.

I deploy in two weeks.

Very sad to hear about pearsonwright. His contributions were are big reason for me restarting this TL before I deploy. He was working on a series of electoral maps for the TL which I would still love to receive.

Sound great! BTW, when do you deploy? Or has it been cancelled?

FUCK! He was masteraccount?! You've got to be kidding me.:eek::mad::confused:

He was actually contributing to a lot of things! RAGE!

1951: Domestic Developments
Here is the much overdue update. This might be the last one I do before leaving for Afghanistan. Thanks for all the support and the resent help with the maps. Cheers.

Domestic Developments

Panama joins the Union

attachment.php

Flag of the State of Panama

Having spent nearly 37 years as a territory, Panama joined the Union on February 6, 1951 become the nation’s 55th state. Since the capture of the Panamanian canal during the Great War and the subsequent purchase of most of the Panamanian isthmus by the Roosevelt administration in 1914, Panama has seen rapid economic development and American immigration. As such, by 1951 Panama had become one of the most diverse states in the Union defined by a unique mixture of Hispanic, French, and American cultures. It is widely believed that President Conner’s push for Panamanian statehood in early 1951 was due in large part to ease concerns about the nascent League of American Republics’ headquarters being in an American territory. The debate over America’s other Central American canal was also resolved when the Nicaraguan Canal Zone was merged with the new State of Panama ending 58 years of territorial rule. While some rightwing elements in the Republic of Nicaragua rioted over the formal admission of the Nicaraguan Canal Zone it by and large brought closure to issue that had been festering for decades.

The 16th Amendment

Having been passed by Congress the previous year, the 16th Amendment to the constitution was ratified on May 18, 1951. Known as the “lame duck” amendment, it shortened the time between the election of a new president as his assumption of office from March 4th to January 15th. While there had been several similar proposals in the past it wasn’t until the election of President Leroy Conner in 1948 that the necessity of such an amendment became clear. A day after Conner’s election, Bolivia and Peru had invaded Chile fully realizing that they had a full four months before the incoming administration could formulate a response. The amendment also designated an earlier date for the convening of Congress and clarified what would happen if the president died before taking office.

(Full text below)

Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 15th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 5th day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.
Section 2. The Congress shall assemble at least once in every year, and such meeting shall begin at noon on the 5th day of January, unless they shall by law appoint a different day.
Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.
Section 4. The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the House of Representatives may choose a President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them, and for the case of the death of any of the persons from whom the Senate may choose a Vice President whenever the right of choice shall have devolved upon them.

Last edited:
That was a nice update. I especially like the Panamanian flag, with the 'star on land between seas', but I can't help but think that the blue should be extended to the edges.

And another thing - if I finished that map, would you be inclined to write the corresponding update before leaving?

That was a nice update. I especially like the Panamanian flag, with the 'star on land between seas', but I can't help but think that the blue should be extended to the edges.

And another thing - if I finished that map, would you be inclined to write the corresponding update before leaving?

Glad you liked it.

Which map are you refering to?

Excellent chapter! Good luck in the 'Stan, buddy!

Looking forward to your return.

While some rightwing elements in the Republic of Nicaragua rioted over the formal admission of the Nicaraguan Canal Zone it by and large brought closure to issue that had been festering for decades.

Nicaragua should be given free use of the Canal.

You made a request for an updated German flag a little while back - I couldn't quite figure out which variant of the Prussian arms you'd worked from, so I put in the one that seemed to match best, the 1701-1750 arms. If you'd prefer another, PM me.

Request-GermanywithPrussianCoA.png

You made a request for an updated German flag a little while back - I couldn't quite figure out which variant of the Prussian arms you'd worked from, so I put in the one that seemed to match best, the 1701-1750 arms. If you'd prefer another, PM me.

Ah shit, I completely forgot about that request. :eek:

Thanks for filling in.

Request-GermanywithPrussianCoA.png

That looks much better. Let me do some research and see which eagle we should use. Thanks.