Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 1
  • Summer of 1512

Edmund knelt down on his knees in prayer, alongside his sister Mary and his mother Queen Elizabeth. All three of them were praying for the rapid recovery of their king Henry VII, the man who won at Bosworth Field and who inaugurated the Tudor dynasty. But even though they tried to deny it, they all knew that the end was near for him. Their mother feared losing her husband while Mary and Edmund were afraid of losing their father, even though they all knew that death was a natural part of life and nobody was supposed to live forever. Why did God not grant father long life like Methuselah?

Mary’s and Edmund’s older brother, Henry, the Prince of Wales, was at the moment at Greenwich Palace with his betrothed, while both Mary and Edmund remained at Eltham Palace. Edmund was still twelve years old despite being a prince and senior peer of the realm, so Eltham Palace would be his home until he reached his majority. As for Mary, their father was busy trying to find matches for her since she was marriageable, but the process had stalled since his health took a permanent turn for the worse after Christmastide. As such, Henry had to take on more duties in their father’s place while their mother did their best to keep the court lively.

“Are you all right, Ned?” Elizabeth asked her youngest son with concern. “You have been whispering to yourself too quickly.”

Edmund looked at his mother with apprehension. “I… I…”

“It is all right, Ned. You can tell me,” Elizabeth reassured her son.

“I am scared, mother,” Edmund admitted.

“Because your father will die?” Elizabeth knew already.

“I do not want him to die.” Even though he was not close to his father and even Henry personally, Edmund would never wish harm on them both.

“I know.” Elizabeth patted her son’s head. “But if it is his time, then we must accept it. We cannot defy what God has already decided for us.”

“But why do we pray then, if that is true?” Mary asked.

“If God will not make our king better, then we must pray for his soul once he departs to heaven, just as we did for Lady Margaret.”

Edmund was honestly frightened of his grandmother, the woman who played a role in the Tudors’ rise to power. Even though she was warm to him, there was something about her that made him feel distant. It was only one year since her death and everyone suspected that her dying was what drove the king to melancholy.

“And once he dies, Ned, do you know your duty?” Elizabeth asked her youngest son.

Edmund knew that his brother and his betrothed were soon to be doing their duty, as their marriage was to take place soon and hopefully to be followed by many sons. As Edmund was currently second-in-line to the English throne, he would have to marry and produce heirs of his own. Most importantly, he would have to support his older brother who would become the next king, just like he did when Arthur died.

“I do, mother,” Edmund nodded solemnly.

“Very good.” Elizabeth kissed the top of his head. “And you, Mary, do you also know your duty?”

“I do, mother,” Mary also affirmed.

After they finished their prayers, Elizabeth took her two youngest children on a walk through the gardens of Eltham Palace in an effort to divert their attention from the gloominess that was soon to overcome them all.

Edmund remembered when Lady Margaret died and there was a grand funeral procession in London, and he remembered being overwhelmed by the whole set of circumstances, especially when the courtiers referred to him through a variety of addresses such as “Your Grace,” “Lord Somerset,” or “Your Highness.” Already, some families like the Cliffords, the Greys, and his Courtenay cousins were trying to approach him in an effort to marry him to one of their daughters, but his mother thankfully told them all to leave him alone as they were in mourning and he was too young to make such a decision. Henry also told them to get away from his brother, which surprised Edmund since they were not close. Still, I have him to thank for getting those lords away from approaching me with their daughters.

However, their walk through the gardens was cut short when they were approached by Thomas Ruthall, Secretary of State and Bishop of Durham, along with members of the royal yeomanry. “Your Graces,” Thomas Ruthall bowed his head to the three members of the king’s family.

“Your Eminence,” Queen Elizabeth answered.

“I have come here to bring you all to Richmond Palace, on behalf of the king and the Prince of Wales.”

Elizabeth stiffened. “It is time, is it not?”

“I am afraid it is, my queen.”

Both Mary and Edmund knew what they were talking about. Preparing themselves, they and their mother gathered their servants and other members of their household before they rode to Richmond Palace. Edmund could only await what was to come after their father’s death, for it would be a new world with him gone, for better and worse.

Upon their arrival, they saw Henry and his betrothed Eleanor already awaiting them. Henry kissed the cheeks of his mother and his sister while Eleanor embraced her soon-to-be mother-in-law and sister-in-law. Edmund was stunned when Henry pulled him into a hug. “Dear Ned, it is so good to see you,” he said.

Edmund slowly returned the hug. “It is good to see you too, Your Highness.”

Henry sighed heavily. “Please, call me Harry. I am your brother after all.”

“Harry.” Edmund was quick to comply.

Henry saw that his young brother was still hesitant, but he was not going to push him. Eleanor came to Edmund and hugged him also. “Hello, Ned.”

Edmund was confused, as he was also not close to Eleanor despite them being close in age. “Hello… Your Highness.”

Eleanor pinched his cheek. “How many times did I tell you that you can call me Ellie? We are to be family soon.” She still retained her Flemish brogue.

“Please excuse my son,” Elizabeth stepped in. “This is all very overwhelming for him and it must be hard for him.”

Eleanor smiled respectfully. “Of course, Your Grace.”

Henry bobbed his head in understanding. “We have already said our goodbyes. He will want to see you all next, mother.”

“Of course.”

Edmund waited outside as his mother and Mary had their last words with his father. Edmund’s hands were trembling, but he managed to largely control it to the point where no one would be able to notice. Edmund was a prince after all.

“Your Grace.” William Warham, his father’s Lord Chancellor and Archbishop of Canterbury, stepped out of the room along with his mother and Mary. “The king will see you now.”

“Your Eminence,” Edmund addressed him while he hugged his mother and sister again. If only Margaret was here. In the place of his sister and brother-in-law in Scotland, the Scottish ambassador to the English court was also in attendance.

Edmund was led into his father’s bedchamber, where he was attended by his personal physician and other courtiers were there also. He was utterly shocked at how his father looked, as the able king that he grew up knowing was replaced by a sickly old man who was struggling onto the last seconds of his life.

“Come closer, Edmund. My eyesight is failing me.” Henry VII gestured to his youngest son and he turned to look upon him. “Even though I can barely see you, I can sense that you will become a great man.”

“Please, Your Grace. I do not need to be one, for you are a great man already.”

“Spare me that nonsense, boy. Even a blind man can see that I am not long for this world,” the dying king strongly answered. “But enough about me. Tell me about yourself, and your days at Eltham Palace.”

Edmund talked about his days training with weaponry, the art of fighting, being taught many languages, dancing, and other aspects that made up the education of a humanist. “I also spend much time studying with Anthony Browne, Edward North, and John Gates.”

“Your friends, I trust?” the king asked with interest.

“Yes, my king.”

“Please, for God’s sake, call me father. I would rather our last hours be as father and son, not as king and subject.”

“Yes… father.” Edmund had some difficulty saying that. “And yes, they are my friends.”

“Good. You will need friends, those you can trust, when you do your duties to Harry. You will be his strong right arm when the crown of England is placed atop his head.”

“I am aware of what I must do, father.”

“Are you?” the king questioned. “The crown is heavy on the head and while Harry will have to carry the burden by himself, he will need you, now more than ever. I can already sense the vultures just waiting to pick off the remains of our family.”

“Father, how can you say that? England is secure, our family is secure.”

“Not yet,” his father shook his head. “Only after Harry marries Princess Eleanor and has children, and you have your own children, can our family remain secure on the throne. You must prepare yourself, should Harry suffer an early departure from this life.”

“No, no,” Edmund answered quickly. “He is healthy, he is energetic. He will live a long life.”

“Never assume the best of things, Ned,” the king told him. “Arthur was healthy, and he was taken from us. Always be prepared, should you have to take the crown.”

Edmund was afraid to be king, but he could not say no to his father’s wishes. “I shall do as you wish, father.”

“Swear it, boy!” he raised his voice.

Edmund was startled, but he calmed down again. “I swear, father.”

“Good.” The king squeezed Edmund’s hand. “By this time tomorrow, Harry will be king. Do what God has called you to do.”

After Edmund was dismissed from his father’s bedchambers for the last time, he was taken to his rooms in Richmond Palace. He could not sleep, for it was a long night for him. All he could do was pace around his chamber, anxious for what the morning would bring. And he must have lost track of time, for morning came and he was still awake.

The door opened and in came his mother, who was just as sleepless as he was. “Ned, have not been sleeping?”

“I could not, mother.”

She nodded in understanding. “Ned… your father is dead.” Edmund closed his eyes and lowered his head in sadness, but Elizabeth walked to him and knelt down. “Come on. Let me take you to Harry, or His Grace now.”

Joined by Mary, they arrived at the presence chamber, which now had Harry seated. As one, Elizabeth, Mary, and Edmund knelt down. “Your Grace,” they said together.

Henry stood up. “Rise, please.” He kissed his mother’s and sister’s cheek once more and hugged Edmund tightly. “Ned.”

“My king,” Ned expelled thoughts of calling him by his childhood name.

“What will you do now, Ned? Go back to Eltham Palace?” Edmund could not answer right away, which Henry noticed. “It is all right, brother. You can answer by the end of the week.”

Edmund nodded gratefully. “Thank you, my king.”

Henry patted his brother’s head. “We shall speak again soon, Ned. But please, call me Harry when no one else is around.”

Edmund smiled. He thus had to prepare himself for a new world, where he was no longer just the third son of Henry VII of England. He was now Prince Edmund Tudor, Duke of Somerset and Earl of Ulster and brother of the new king.

After looking over a previous thread in which I covered Edmund Tudor, I revised it accordingly with the following changes:
    -Edmund Tudor is now Duke of Somerset and Earl of Ulster
    -Elizabeth of York is still alive
    -Henry VII lived for three more years, since his wife surviving means that his health and personality did not take a huge negative turn
    -Catherine of Aragon went back to Spain after the families (mostly Elizabeth of York) manage to reach an agreement over the dowry, while Elizabeth pays for her former daughter-in-law's household in the meantime. Henry then had his son betrothed to Eleanor of Austria, and they will marry soon

I am planning for this to be multi-chapter thread, but any comments are welcome :)

Last edited:
    Tudor Rose over Britannia family tree (1512)
  • Henry VII of England (1457-1512), married to Elizabeth of York (1466- )
    Arthur Tudor (1486-1502), married to Catherine of Aragon (1485- )​
    Margaret Tudor (1489- ), married to James IV of Scotland (1476- )​
    Henry VIII of England (1491- ), betrothed to Eleanor of Austria (1498 -)​
    Elizabeth Tudor (1492-1495), died young​
    Mary Tudor (1496- )​
    Edmund Tudor, Duke of Somerset (1499- )​

Last edited:
    Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 2 (Coronation)
  • Dressers fit Henry in ceremonial robes, while both Edmund and Lord Shrewsbury sit watching. The Lord Chamberlain, Charles Somerset otherwise known as Lord Herbert was there also, at attention. Lord Herbert was also family, as he was the illegitimate son of the last one who had his title, but Edmund was ensure of what to make of him at the moment.

“Are you comfortable, Your Grace?” Edmund had to remain formal, but the feelings of warmth were coming natural to them both.

Henry adjusted his garments, and it was clear that he wasn’t comfortable. “It is a big day, Lord Somerset. I still have to get used to being king.”

Lord Shrewsbury stepped in. “You need only follow the Archbishop’s lead. A coronation is one such event at which the King need be little more than present. And awake, I suppose, Your Grace.”

Edmund stared at Lord Shrewsbury. “Awake, my lord? Do you mean to say that my brother, your king, will fall asleep on a very important day for him?”

“I apologize if I meant any offense, Your Grace. I was merely stating that this day might consume many hours but, like any other, it will end. Your brother the king is an honorable man. He will not be alone in your endeavors. I can assure both of Your Graces of this. He shall have me beside you at every turn and I will not be the only one.”

Edmund smiled, relieved. “Thank you for the kind words, my lord. Do not forget about myself, for the king will have his brother by his side at all times.”

Henry turned around and patted Edmund’s shoulder. “Be careful, my lord. I might have use for you much sooner than expected.”

It was daytime at Westminster Abbey. Henry walked barefoot in ceremonial procession through a crowd of noble onlookers. Edmund, Lord Shrewsbury, Henry’s friend Charles Brandon, and the Duke of Norfolk accompany him. The Archbishop lead the way. Edmund could see that Henry was vulnerable, despite his ability to hide it. The crowd watches the body of men with quiet reserve. Henry may have inherited the kingdom, but like Henry, Edmund felt that today as though the kingdom owns him.

The abbey is huge and full of the peers and nobility as well as members of the gentry, watching the new king of England assume his new position. Guided by the bishops, Henry got on all fours on the chancel, disrobed, wearing only breeches. The Archbishop stood over him, massaging oils into his arms, back and shoulders. Edmund was uncomfortable seeing Henry submitting to the arcane and unsettling ceremony that made him bare. The bishops bear witness, while the crowd watches on in silence. They were all whispering blessings in Latin that Edmund could not make out despite him knowing the language. The only reason that he knew that were done was when the Archbishop said, “Amen.”

Later, Henry was clothed in full regal attire and sat on St. Edward’s throne by the altar. The Archbishop turns around and addresses the large crowd.

“Will you, my lords and ladies, at this time give your wills and assents to this consecration whereunto the people shall say with a great voice, yea, yea, yea, so be it, King Henry, King Henry, King Henry!”

The crowd followed suit. “King Henry! King Henry! King Henry!” Meanwhile, the crown of Saint Edward is placed upon Henry’s head. In procession, he is kissed by each of the bishops as he stares out at his inscrutable subjects. He is then approached by his mother, his sister Mary, and Edmund, who each give their public gesture of fealty to him.

As Edmund followed his brother out of the abbey, he was surprised that the crowds were cheering for him. With the ducal crown on his head, he kept his back straight and gave the crowds a large smile. He was the heir apparent to the throne and his health made people feel assured that the Tudor dynasty was secure. No one wanted to return to the days of civil war, when the House of Plantagenet killed each other off and their father was only able to secure the throne after winning at Bosworth and dealing with uprisings led by Yorkist pretenders.
    Harry will do his duty to Eleanor and I must do mine, Edmund thought.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bernardo de Mesa witnessed the celebratory feasts that came after the coronation. Officials from kingdoms such as Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, and France sent gifts to the new king as well as the king’s sister in Scotland, who was currently pregnant with another child. As for himself, he gave his gift on behalf of Ferdinand of Aragon and proceeded to dance with the good ladies of the English court. He then watched the court unfold from above, needing a breather from all of the ceremonial aspects.

This was not his first time in England. He served as the secretary to his predecessor when they finally came to an agreement over the unpaid amount of the dowry from the marriage of the previous Prince of Wales and Catherine of Aragon, in which Queen Elizabeth essentially allowed the family in Spain to not pay the other part of the dowry and England would pay for Catherine of Aragon’s household until she returned home. From the last time that he had heard, Catherine of Aragon had a happy life in Spain, a far cry from her difficulties as the widow of the dead Prince of Wales.

“Master de Mesa.” Bernardo was surprised that Lord Abergavenny approached him. Even though he was not a senior peer of England, he had royal blood in his veins, being a descendant of Edmund of Langley, Duke of York through his daughter Constance, Countess of Gloucester and by extension was a descendant of Edward III. The man was also had powerful connections after he declared his loyalty to the Tudors, achieving merit against the Cornish rebels, although he suffered a fine of one hundred thousand pounds for keeping an illegal private army, a fine that was still not reversed.

“Lord Abergavenny. What can I do for you?”

“What do you think of the new king?”

Bernardo knew that he had to choose his words carefully, especially given how much trouble Lord Abergavenny had got himself in with the Tudor kings. “He seems promising, and the line is secure, for Princess Eleanor will soon marry him and he has his younger brother to help him stay on the throne.”

“But would you not think that his claim to the throne is tenuous still? He might be the son of Elizabeth of York, but his father’s claim came from a bastard line.”

Bernardo had the good sense to walk away. “My lord,” he tried to excuse himself.

“His father was a greedy man who only did not become more so because of the queen.”

“And what is that to me?” Bernardo asked poignantly. “From what I understand, the previous king outlawed private armies and you were caught. And if you are really curious, the royal master that I serve has no reason to act against the new king as the previous issue that has affected relations between our kingdoms have been resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.”

“I am merely approaching you on behalf of some people who are disaffected by the rule of the current family on the throne.”

“And who would you back instead?” Bernardo crossed his arms. “The de la Poles, what is left of them? Or any other family in England with Plantagenet blood in them? You have seen what happened to Lambert Simnel, Perkin Warbeck, and their followers, and especially the departed Earl of Warwick. Do you really think that those thoughts will serve you well, especially given what happened to all those with Yorkist leanings who were unwise to act on them?”

Lord Abergavenny narrowed his eyes. “Was your royal master not denied a chance to tie his kingdom to England permanently?”

Bernardo scoffed. “You see, there is no benefit of me warning you, but I will not say what was discussed. Only this time, however. The next time, I will have to inform your king and let us see how much more damage you can take. And to answer your question, everyone was satisfied.”

Bernardo left without saying another word. He knew that there would always be those with aspirations on the throne, but he never thought that someone would be that brazen enough to actually approach him.

Bernardo de Mesa was sure that the Tudor line was secure, as England had a king and an heir at present. Even though Catherine of Aragon was back in Spain, any alliance between the families involved would be fulfilled anyway with the final ceremony between King Henry and Eleanor of Austria. But the only issue remaining was the Duke of Somerset. Even though he was the second son, he was certainly an attractive prospect as should the current king die without issue, the duke and his children would wear the crown of England.

I will have to get recommendations from the other families allied to my master, when the time comes for him to marry.

The coronation was short and to the point. And Bernardo de Mesa did serve as ambassador to England, first for Aragon and then for the Holy Roman Empire.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 3
  • Spring 1513

“The war in Italy is not going to France’s favor, Your Grace.” Henry walked with Lord Essex, who also shared his first name. Lord Essex was also captain of the royal guard, so his opinions on the current war on the continent were valued. “Their position has deteriorated, and it seems that the French have bitten more than what they could possibly chew out of Italy.”

“What do you suggest that I do, Lord Essex?” Henry asked. “Would you recommend that I invade France with an army?”

“An invasion might be possible, Your Grace, if you can get the Holy Roman Empire to support you. After all, the alliance with the emperor is valid even through you are still betrothed to Princess Eleanor.”

“But you have second thoughts, my lord?”

“Well, it has been years since we were able to land on French soil and the only reason the late king was persuaded to turn back was because of French gold.”

“And if I may, Your Grace.” William Warham interjected. Henry retained him as the Lord Chancellor. “A war with France would be expensive and take a significant portion of the treasury your father had managed to accumulate. We must be careful, especially since we are yet to celebrate one year of your reign.”

Henry appreciated that his councilors were advising caution, but he was young and he grew up idolizing the stories of kings such as the Hammer of Scots, Edward III, and Henry V. His own father got glory on the battlefield and he wanted to participate in an actual war, not the kind that could be found in tourneys.

“What say you, Lord Somerset?” Henry asked his brother. He was relieved when Edmund decided to remain at court and was content to have mother continue to take charge of his education. He was soon to be fourteen years of age, but Henry greatly appreciated his young brother’s company. He also knew that he had much to do if he wanted to make his brother feel at ease, for he did not spend much time with him while he had to prepare himself to take on the responsibilities of kingship once Arthur died.

“Your Grace, I feel that as a boy, my thoughts on war would not be… ones that I would take seriously.”

“Nonsense.” Henry patted his brother’s back. “You are at an age where boys like you are about to take part in their first tournament. You are still training well in the art of combat, I trust?”

“As well as I can, my king.”

“Good. Then you must have some thoughts on whether a war with France is advisable.” Edmund was hesitating, especially since the eyes of William Warham and Lord Essex were upon him, but Henry grasped his shoulder. “You are talking to me, brother. I want to hear what you have to say.”

Edmund swallowed. “Well, in the schoolroom, I was taught about the war in France and the years after Henry V won at Agincourt. While I was studying, I came across a battle called Verneuil.”

“Ah,” Henry recognized. “The battle in which the Duke of Bedford crushed the Scottish army in France. A victory on the scales of Agincourt, a great one.”

“But… the Duke of Bedford ran out of money to run the war in France, even though he was a great general. That is what was taught.”

“Hmmm.” Henry knew that was also true. The Duke of Bedford was indeed a talented commander and leader of men, but he was restricted by how much coin he could use to pay for the campaigns. “And so, because of the Duke of Bedford, you would not advise a war against France?”

“Well, perhaps if you want to fight, we can look elsewhere,” Edmund suggested.

“And where, my Lord Somerset, would you recommend we turn our attention?”

“What about Ireland?” Edmund asked. “Your Grace might call yourself Lord of Ireland, but why do we control so little of that island?”

Henry was struck. He did not think about Ireland at the moment, but his brother did bring forth a good point that England only controlled a small portion of that island. “Indeed, we do not.”

Lord Essex jumped in. “Your Grace, I would wholeheartedly support any venture into Ireland. It might not be as glorious as a war against France, but we will be able to grant young men the chance to fight and make names for themselves. We would also do so at the lowest possible risk against our troops, since the Irish lords could hardly be counted as fighting force against English arms.”

William Warham also interceded. “I concur with Lord Essex, Your Grace. It is indeed time that we assert full and complete control over Ireland. For those that support your rule, we can empower them. For those that continue to resist you, my king, we can take away their titles and their lands, all of which can be brought into the royal exchequer. I also have connections with William Rokeby, the Archbishop of Dublin. Perhaps together, we can come up with a solution to have the Irish church also support stronger English control over Irish lands.”

Henry rubbed his chin. A general subjugation of Ireland might not be as glorious as Lord Essex described, but it did present a chance to test his mettle in war. He then turned to Edmund. “If I were to accede to this, perhaps we can start with Edmund’s earldom. After all, I have confirmed him in his title as Earl of Ulster. It is only proper that his lands are fully brought under his control.”

“But of course, Your Grace.”

Henry nodded. “Make the preparations, my lords.” After seeing the two men leave, he grabbed Edmund’s shoulders. “Well, look at you. Already, you have brought forth a great idea.”

“You asked, Harry. I only gave my answer.”

“And a good one. But do you also want to participate?”

“If I can.”

Henry scratched his brother’s ear. “Of course that you would. But I told you that I would have use for you soon. As taking Ireland was your idea, will you take responsibility for it?”

Edmund nodded eagerly. “Yes, Harry.”

Henry smiled. “I am not going to make you the one in charge, as you are still young and my heir before I have my sons, your nephews. But you will observe everything going on, starting from tomorrow.”

“I will do my best, Harry. I am eager to strengthen our family.”

“And you think a war in France would not do that?”

“If you want a war with France, Harry, we are going to need a little more money, and Ireland can give that.”

Henry was impressed that he was already having a good sense on how government worked. “Of course.” They both walked back to the palace, as they would be busy making preparations for the Irish campaign.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 4 (Ireland)
  • 1515, Ireland

Lord Clifford could tell that his opponent, “King O’Connor” of Faly, had refused to listen to military advice and on the morning ordered his troops down from their mountain camp to give battle to the royal army although his intelligence stated much of his cavalry was engaged in domestic issues in his capital of Daingean. Lord Clifford could only shake his head at what amounted to the characteristic disunity among the Irish peoples.

Lord Clifford could also see that “King O’Connor”'s inexperience was further exposed by how he drew up his troops for battle. He placed a small advance guard in front his army and positioned the rest of his troops in a huge solid mass, which meant that it would be very difficult to maneuver and very few units could actually engage the enemy, being stuck within the ranks of their own men. Lord Clifford, meanwhile, who had been fighting for the Tudors ever since King Henry VII won at Bosworth and was his main man in northern England, and whose father had died for the Lancastrian cause at Towton, drew up his men in small flexible units, all of which were able to support one another and to move around on the battlefield.

The battle started when Lord Clifford sent an infantry detachment to meet the Irish advance party. The two sides exchanged arrow volleys at close range and then fought hand to hand with pikes, swords, and axes. However, Lord Clifford steadily reinforced his infantry and eventually drove the Irishmen back into the front of their formation. Because of the deployment method “King O’Connor” adopted, it hemmed in the front ranks of the royal army, who were trapped behind their own panicked skirmishers and the pursuing infantry of the English. Seeing his chance, Lord Clifford sent more infantry to attack the flanks of the Irish formation, trapping the whole force between his men and the mountain, the initial position of advantage they had descended from to engage Lord Clifford's troops.

Slowly, but surely, the fate of the O’Connor army resembled that of the Roman army that Hannibal destroyed at Cannae over thousand years ago. Although they outnumbered their enemies, they were pinned in a dense uncoordinated mass, unable to defend themselves against the troops who had surrounded them. Increasingly, they were a mob of terrified individuals rather than a disciplined military unit. They were also very short of good weapons and arrows, which meant that the English army could pour volleys into this dense mass without the enemy offering an effective response, cutting down their quarry from a distance.

At that point, all was lost, and the Faly leaders and horsemen fled the battlefield, pursued by the English cavalry. Nevertheless, the doomed O’Connor footmen fought doggedly until they were slaughtered. Two-thirds of Lord Clifford’s Irish opponents were dead and were found on the battlefield itself rather than along the line of pursuit, which stands as stark testament to the determination of the O’Connor troops knowing Lord Clifford's reputation as the main enforcer in northern England.

Lord Clifford toured the battlefield, pleased at his success. He was eager to once more be of service to the Tudors, particularly with the new king. He was not on good terms with the late king and he wished to do one more act of service in war before he would retired back to the north. He might have seen sixty-one years on Earth, but he was not going to allow age to hold him back, not while his son and heir was about to spend all of his hard-earned fortune after he died.

Although he was skeptical of the king’s plan to conquer all of Ireland, Lord Clifford realized that he stood to gain much. He might saw his son and heir as the means for his family to marry into the high aristocracy, but he saw his younger son Thomas as the more pliable and the one who inherited his careful spending habits. Therefore, he took Thomas with him to Ireland and there, they were in charge of the left wing of the royal advance on the Irish midlands. And now, Lord Clifford expected great rewards and honors to be laid onto him for defeating a major Gaelic force.

While they made camp, Lord Clifford received Sir James FitzGerald of Leixlip, second son of the late Earl of Kildare. Unlike the current Earl of Kildare, who was more soft-spoken and polite in his manners, Sir James was very much his father’s son in that he was hot-tempered, open, and preferring plain speech. That was something that Lord Clifford would always admire, for he preferred to not waste time with pretty words.

“Sir James,” Lord Clifford addressed him.

“My lord,” the FitzGerald son dipped his head in respect. “I have come on behalf of the king in congratulating you on this great victory. He has generously offered you and your men to keep all of the spoils of the battle while asking for any Irish prisoners of note to be turned over to him.”

“That I shall do, Sir James, if those are his commands.”

“Also, the king wants you to take your forces and move northwards to link up with his troops and Dromahair. He plans to subjugate the Ó Ruairc king before he moves southwards.”

“Understood, Sir James. Tell the king that I shall do as he wishes.”

“He also wants your son, Sir Thomas, to appear at Dublin Castle to assist the Duke of Norfolk in organizing the advance into the Connaught region. The O’Brian kings of Thomond and the de Bermingham family have failed to give their submissions to the king and thus, we must respond to the obstinance with a force of arms.”

“But I need Sir Thomas with me, Sir James.”

“It is the king’s orders. I am sure that you can do well without your son for a few weeks.”

Lord Clifford nodded his assent. “Of course. I shall tell my son.”

The head of the Clifford family was not blind as to why the king was pursuing the conquest of Ireland. Everyone at court knew that the Tudor brothers, both the king and the Duke of Somerset, had ambitions and all of that involved the sword. However, they also knew that they were untested and needed money to finance whatever campaigns that they had in the mind and the best place to get both experience and money was in Ireland. Or the parts of the island not under firm English control.

By this point, King Henry VIII had been married to Queen Eleanor for one year and she was with child, with everyone hoping for a boy. The Duke of Somerset had reached sixteen years of age and was close to reaching his majority, of which many gave high praises to his looks, athleticism, and sound education. Although the duke was soon to be further down the line of succession, he was still a good marriage prospect and Lord Clifford himself pondered on the idea of marrying one of his daughters or granddaughters to him, which was blocked by the Dowager Queen Elizabeth.

Considering that this whole Irish venture was the duke’s idea, Lord Clifford wondered if the duke was on to something, as there was much benefit to controlling of Ireland and many nobles such as the Duke of Buckingham, Duke of Norfolk, and several other earls and barons were focusing their energies into staking as much Irish land as possible. With Ireland all under English control, the next natural steps would be either Scotland or France.

As of this moment, the reign of Henry VIII was looking bright and promising, with the Irish venture providing dividends.

*inspired by the Battle of Scarrifholis (1650)

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 5 (Ireland)
  • Fall of 1515

“I promise to be faithful and loyal to Henry VIII, King of England and Lord of Ireland, to never again bear arms against him or his... heirs. So, help me God.” Henry watched as the last of the lords of Connaught, formerly kings, had knelt down to him. In front of him was Malachi O’Kelly, formerly the king of Uí Maine before he made the wise choice of submitting to him without a fight. Of course, he had to have someone interpret from Gaelic to English, a tongue that Henry was surprised still existed.

“Lord Kelly, I welcome your renewed fealty, and accept your submission.” Henry nodded and bid the former king to stand up. As thanks to him for not fighting, Henry decided to show mercy and made the former king as Baron Kelly of Tiaquin, with a grant of five hundred acres. There were too many kings and lords in Ireland and Henry understood that killing them all and replacing them would do more damage than anticipated. That was when he had to take the advice of some of his advisors, who told him to readjust his strategy.

“Is that all?” Henry asked the Duke of Norfolk, who was still the Deputy of the Lordship of Ireland.

“Yes, sire,” the duke answered.

“Good.” Henry stood up. “My lords of Ireland, today you have each pledged fealty to me as your rightful overlord and king. Any lands confiscated during this campaign will now be returned to you.”

“If only if this happened when we landed and not after.” Henry heard Lord Dorset whisper.

“I hope you see the futility of your many decades years of opposition to your divinely-appointed lord, and that all of you accept responsibility for the bloodshed that could have been avoided.” Henry then had the two most influential lords of Connaught step forward. “Lord Aidan O’Flaherty, Lord Richard Burke, come forward.” Henry was made aware of their background by the Earl of Kildare. “I understand that both your families have a strong claim on the crown of Connaught. However, as I am the Lord of Ireland, I will suffer no other kings in my realm. Therefore, England will continue to govern your region and receive its due in taxes, while both of you will be empowered as new lords under my reign.” Henry also showed mercy by making both the Lords O’Flaherty and Burke barons while also taking away their ability to raise private armies. “You will both answer to my brother the Duke of Somerset, who I have appointed as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.”

“You honor me, my king,” Edmund bowed his head.

“While I will appoint Lord Worcester as the head of a new council of administration for the province of Connaught. You both will be proud to serve under him, and you will take that opportunity, if you are wise, to heal the differences between you. Now, my lord, offer your hands.” Henry saw the two rivals shake your hands, but very reluctantly given the decades of bad blood between their families. He had to warn Charles Somerset, who he now made as the Earl of Worcester, to keep an eye on those two since he at least understood that clan warfare in Ireland could become bloody and thus undermine everything that he was trying to accomplish. Henry clapped his hands. Now let us be what we once were... friends! Music! Drink! Feast!”

The new Irish barons and the English commanders broke into feasting over the new peace that was to settle over in Connaught, with the next step to be securing the rest of Munster.

“Cormac MacDermot, stop!” Henry saw the Archbishop of Tuam, who had followed the orders of the Dublin archbishop in submitting to English authority, trying to restrain a Gaelic Irishman, noble by his posture.

“Your Grace!” the Irishman tried to go past the archbishop.

“Your Eminence, let him through.” Henry knew that something was amiss and knowing that he was protected, he decided to see this new Irish lord.

“Pardon me, sire,” Lord Shrewsbury stepped in. Even though he was wealthy due to his English estates, he had interests in Ireland. “There is one last petitioner. Cormac MacDermot.

“MacDermot?” Henry tensed, as he was familiar with a Tadhg MacDermot who was killed after leading a force on a suicide charge and men raised by Lord Derby were engaged in fighting rebels in MacDermot’s lands.

“Your Grace,” Cormac MacDermot got on his knees. “I am the son of Tadhg MacDermot, former King of Moylurg and Keeper of Balymote Castle, who was killed in battle just outside of the town of Boyle.”

“Your father was a treacherous rebel,” Henry corrected him. “Someone who wore a false crown.”

“Our lands were seized and gifted to John Bourchier, Earl of Bath.”

“Traitors forfeit their lands,” Henry stated.

“That land, sire, is my birthright,” MacDermot begged.

“You heard my brother,” the Duke of Somerset joined in. “Get out.”

“You have balls, I'll give you that. Get out of here, before I have them removed.” Henry turned to Lord Shrewsbury. “I never want to hear the name MacDermot again. Make that an official decree.”

Before MacDermot could respond, the archbishop of Tuam held him back. “I know this young man. I baptized him. Pardon me, sire, for his insolence.” He whispered loudly to him. “Go! Do not push your luck today!”

MacDermot was getting angrier. “He can't do that! He slandered my name.”

The archbishop was successful in taking the MacDermot prince, or former prince, away from the tent. “That's how you pass a camel through the eye of a needle,” the Duke of Norfolk remarked.

Lord Clifford approached Henry. “We are ready, Your Grace.”

Henry nodded and gestured to Edmund and his commanders. “Good. Come! Ned, let us see the fruits of our labor.” He then called out to the guests while leading them out of the tent. “Friends, join us. We have a spectacle.”

Trumpets sounded while a drum beat and the many banners of England waved in the wind. The main English force had moved on Roscommon Castle, the seat of the O’Connor dynasty, another of the petty kings of Ireland. They put the castle under siege while Henry decided to build a dozen cannon after studying how the French utilized their artillery in Italy. After a month, twelve cannons were built and all of them were aimed at the walls of Roscommon Castle.

“Has there not been enough humiliation?” Lord O’Rourke whispered to Lord Burke, making sure that Henry could not hear them.

“King O’Connor tried to surrender three days ago. Henry refused to accept,” Lord Burke stated.

“He wants to be certain that we get the message.” Lord O’Flaherty added.

Henry checked that the cannons were ready and loaded. Upon having the cannoneers await his signal, he turned around to the party of Irish lords.

“Everyone needs to understand that this surrender is final. Also, we spent one month and over five hundred pounds to build them, so I do not want to waste it.” Edmund laughed, as did the Duke of Norfolk and Lord Shrewsbury. My lords and ladies, I give you the future of warfare, the hammers of Ireland.” Waving his hand, twelve cannons fired upon Roscommon Castle, all of them smashing into walls that were not strengthened since the 1300s. Everyone cheered after seeing large cracks and even pieces of the walls fall off. A choir then sang a solemn hymn.

“Now you can accept the surrender,” Henry nodded to Lord Clifford.

“Yes, sire.” Lord Clifford moved to follow orders.

“Congratulations, my lords. Today, you're on the winning side.” Henry took another moment to look upon Edmund. He was sixteen years old, and he was developing well as a man, his thinness gradually replaced by lean muscle due to heavy sporting and good food and wine. He also had long red hair and fierce blue eyes, but he was a little uncomfortable at Edmund being slightly taller than him. Not that it mattered much, for Henry was about to celebrate the birth of his first child, a son. “Will you be all right, when you have to take over my duties in Ireland?”

“This is what I was training for, Your Grace. It will be a waste if I did not apply myself.”

“Of course, Ned,” Henry squeezed his brother’s shoulder. “Come, let us feast together. Tonight, we dine in the halls of Roscommon.”

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 6
  • Elizabeth of York held the baby gently in her arms, smiling at how precious her grandchild was. To everyone’s relief, Queen Eleanor gave birth to a son, a healthy boy. Bells rung throughout London and all of the courtiers, both gentlemen and ladies, gave their congratulations to the Dowager Queen and to Queen Eleanor. Her husband the king and her brother-in-law the Duke of Somerset were still in Ireland, both of them having overseen the complete subjugation of the Connaught region in western Ireland and were now leading their armies to the Munster region of southwest Ireland. However, both the ambassador from Spain and the Holy Roman Empire and other kingdoms such as France and Denmark gave their congratulations and Sir Charles Brandon, one of her son’s closest friends and who had kept close to him, had arrived to tell them both that the king and the duke were on their way back to London.

“What shall we name him?” Elizabeth asked her daughter-in-law. “It has to be a strong name.”

“Could we not wait until Harry comes back?” Eleanor was still tired. “I am sure that he wants to be involved in naming his son as well.”

“Well, you must have some idea on what his name should be.”

Eleanor rubbed her temples. “I have studied a lot of my husband’s family, going all the way to the Lancaster branch of the Plantagenets. There are several of those named John, Thomas, Henry, and Edward. However, I also looked through the names of the Tudor line and noticed some were named Owen, including Harry’s great-grandsire, and the late king’s uncle Jasper.”

“It will not be good if the future king of England has a name that is too Welsh, even though the Tudors did spawn strong men like dear Jasper.” Elizabeth remembered Jasper Tudor well and her husband mourned very much when he died. “Also, even though my grandson has York blood in him, we cannot use Richard for obvious reasons and certainly not George.”

Eleanor nodded, as she was also familiar with the dark history behind the House of York during the civil war in England. “Perhaps we can agree on something like Edward or Henry for now until Harry comes back.”

Elizabeth nodded. “Agreed. Those are simple names, but very reflective of the legacy my husband and son want to leave behind.”

“Is that why he spent so much time in Ireland? To secure a legacy for himself?” Eleanor inquired.

“Not just Harry. Ned wants to take part in it also. He is a growing man after all.”

“I can understand the both of them wanting to subjugate Ireland, as the King of England is also the Lord of Ireland by papal decree. But the both of them want to engage in a war with France eventually. I keep thinking that they are fighting this war in Ireland in order to gain money and lands to distribute because they both know that a French war would be expensive.”

Elizabeth was pleased at how sharp her daughter-in-law was. “But not just that. If they needed more money, they could have just assembled Parliament and raised a new tax. I think the both of them know that they are inexperienced in war and this is their way of becoming accustomed to battle without risking their forces to superior French arms.”

Eleanor clicked her tongue. “I can understand why they are preparing for war, as my relatives are also fighting the Valois. However, I keep hearing some terrible things being inflicted upon the Irish people. Villages burned, castles torn down, towns put to the sword.” Eleanor shook her head. “I guess we cannot stop men acting like men.”

Elizabeth chuckled humorlessly. “Very true.” She then handed the baby back to Eleanor’s arms. “But enough of that. Hold your son, for he will not be so precious forever.”

They waited two days for Henry and Edmund to come, but after arriving at Greenwich Palace, it was a celebratory occasion. Henry kissed Eleanor deeply while holding his son gently. They agreed upon naming their son Edward after Henry’s grandfather and there was so much joy in celebrating the new king’s heir.

“Bless you, child. In the name of God, the Virgin Mary, and St. George. He's a sweet prince.” Henry kissed his son’s head.

“Yes, he is,” Elizabeth agreed. “A strong Tudor prince, the first of many.”

“Indeed.” Henry looked at Eleanor and kissed her again. “You might have been pretty before, but how could you become more beautiful now?”

“God’s blessing, Harry,” Eleanor answered. Henry could only smile at that.

Later, at Westminster Abbey, little Edward was christened by William Warham. “In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost I baptize thee Edward. May God bless and keep you all the days of your life, And give you abundantly his grace. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.”

“Amen,” everyone made the sign of the cross.

“God, of his almighty and infinite grace, give and grant good life and long to the right high, right excellent, and noble Prince Edward, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester, most dear and entirely beloved son to our most dread and gracious lord on Earth, King Henry the Eighth,” Warham finished.

Among the godparents for little Edward were Edmund and Margaret in Scotland, as well as Mary in Denmark as well as her husband Danish king. Their respective representatives sent their congratulations on behalf of their sovereigns, as many were pleased that the stability that defined the England started by Henry VII would continue.

Edmund sat down as he went over the papers handed to him by the Duke of Norfolk. As the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Edmund to acquaint himself with the state of affairs for running the country. However, as he was still unfamiliar on how to properly administer high-level government functions, he had to simply look over the papers and allow the Duke to run Ireland until he reached his majority within a few years.

“We should outlaw the use of Gaelic or any other variation of that barbaric tongue to further the assimilation of the Irish people into England,” the Duke suggested. “And we should also take away the privileges previously enjoyed by the Irish lords. No private armies, no ability to exercise the rule of law in their own lands, and they all most submit to the control of an English garrison in every village, town, and county.”

“Do not forget. They are to be subject to large fines for their many centuries disobeying English authority,” Edmund added. “Say… one hundred pounds for every year that they did not report to Dublin Castle.”

“Either that, or they forfeit their lands and titles, which could be put in the royal exchequer. In fact, we can put more fines for additional disobedience, which can be from an additional one hundred pound to even a thousand for every offense.”

Edmund smiled. “Should we not also do an official land survey, like what William the Conqueror did when he recorded every acre and every barony in England?”

The Duke nodded in approval. “We can measure each landholding held by especially the rebellious Irish lords and subject them to more fines and land removals. And might I also recommend a road system throughout the island, so as to make it easier to move troops and supplies?”

“The Irish lords will have to shoulder the cost, so as to prove their loyalty to the English crown.”

“Very good thinking. And pray tell me, Your Grace, do you look forward to enjoying your new lands in Ulster?”

“Of course, Lord Norfolk. But from what I can understand, I have to deal with the O’Neills and the O’Connells, both of them being Lords of Tyrconnell and Tyrone respectively. I am sure that they will not take their new subservient status lying down.”

“They will have to. After all, how can they face the might of English arms the second time?”

Edmund looked through more papers. “How about we also give some incentive for the Irish lords to be loyal? For one hundred men they can raise in their lands, we will make them barons. Five hundred, viscounts. One thousand, they become earls. Two thousand, marquesses. But any dukedoms will have to personally given by the king.”

“Giving titles is a tricky business and it has to approved by your brother.”

“I am sure that he will be open to setting up a new foundation of loyal subjects in the new lands of Ireland. From what I can estimate, the Crown just gained an additional £100,000 a year in expanded estates. Imagine how much more the treasury can get.”

Edmund could only imagine what they could with more funds available in the treasury. However, they realized that they were thinking ahead of themselves, for English troops still had to secure Munster.

“Your Grace, do you think that you will be able to participate in any of the campaigns left in Ireland?”

“I hope so, Lord Norfolk. After all, I will be spending a lot of time in Ireland and I have yet to scratch the surface of the Gaelic culture, including the very nature of their clan structure. It is quite similar to what the Scots have in their Highlands region, from what I read.” Edmund wondered if that was the reason why the Hammer of the Scots ultimately failed in subjugating the country and defeating the Scots even though his armies triumphed in many battles with William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. As long as the Highlands provided a source of rebellion, they could still resist and ultimately, it was Highlanders who provided the core of the army that triumphed under the command of Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn.

“We have to do something to break the power of the clans. They would subvert the authority of the crown and of the new landed gentry that we will implement. I just cannot believe we were able to take over most of Ireland in a few years.”

“That is only because we were able to do so after actually giving our full attention. However, I do not think that our work in Ireland is done.”

“Just like in Wales, it will more than a few years and winning more than a few battles,” the Duke of Norfolk answered. “That is why we have to invest much in breaking local authority and centralizing that of the crown. That means building castles, building roads, and establishing a permanent presence in each major population center.”

Edmund bobbed his head. “And we also have to regularize the tax collection. We cannot use livestock or grain as taxes. We have to encourage coin usage.”

“That will be easier said than done. Coins were not used before we came and they will have to get used to paying in silver and gold coins. That means empowering the tax collectors from Dublin Castle and promising retribution for those that try to evade paying taxes.”

“Should we not also encourage obedience among the Irish lords, besides giving titles? Perhaps we should also call for a Parliament, like in the old days?”

The Duke of Norfolk considered that. “A Parliament of Ireland would definitely ensure that the Irish lords are kept in line. As a parliament is endorsed by the crown, that will significantly increase royal authority in Ireland.”

“Indeed. Should we not call for a general parliament sometime in the next year, so as to legitimize our authority?”

“And for those that do not attend, they will be fined or charged with treason?” Edmund smiled. “I like how your mind works, Prince Edmund. But honestly, it is remarkable that you have these ideas in your head. It would bode England well to have someone already attuned to governance despite no formal training yet.”

“I have been trained by able men, Lord Norfolk. I am merely applying their lessons.”

“Very good. We are going to need that mind of yours, especially when you reach your majority.”

Edmund could tell that his relationship with the Howards was going to be very productive, for he looked forward to their conversations in the future.

I had Mary Tudor marry the king of Denmark, as it will be unlikely that she will marry the king of France in this timeline. I also decided on Edward for the name of the future king of England. (corrected from Portugal)

Last edited:
    Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 7
  • Winter 1515

Henry was glad that Edmund was currently occupied with dancing with the good ladies at court at the moment. He was very pleased that his young brother had become a good dancer just like himself and turned out to be very good at it, but today, he had more pressing business to attend to and he could not have Edmund interfere. What was being discussed at the moment would determine his future. Most importantly, it would spell either good fortune or ruin for the family, as well as England.

At the moment, Henry, his mother of fifty years, his wife Queen Eleanor, his Lord Chancellor William Warham, his new Lord Privy Seal Thomas Ruthall, and Sir Richard Wingfield, Lord Deputy of Calais, sat across the French ambassador and a representative of a very well-connected family in France, the Counts of Auvergne. His mother, Sir Richard, and Henry all spoke French, which was enough to avoid any misunderstandings. There was snowfall outside, and Henry made sure that the hearth was kept warm while everyone present wore heavy furs.

Henry began the discussion by speaking directly to Louis de La Trémoille, who was the cousin of the Counts of Auvergne through their mutual descent from Georges de La Trémoille. “Thank you very much for coming all this way here, my lord,” he began in French. “I am sure that the journey was not an easy one.”

“Not at all, Your Majesty,” the French lord answered. “I come behalf of my cousins Anne and Madeleine de La Tour.”

“And I have the full power of the French crown behind me during these discussions, Your Majesty.” The French ambassador pulled out a letter which William Warham took, and it had the seal of King Francis on it. “His Majesty King Francis has allowed me much discretion.”

“That is good to hear, my lord,” Queen Eleanor joined in while speaking impeccable French. “I do hope that an agreement can be reached today and that we can celebrate with the feasts that will happen soon.”

“Indeed, Your Grace.”

“So, let us get to business. What does the good Madeleine de La Tour bring when she marries my son the Duke of Somerset?” Elizabeth asked.

“My cousin brings the county of Boulogne with her as well as extensive properties throughout the counties of Auvergne, Clermont, Berry, Castres, and Louraguais. All of which bring a total dowry of more than sixty thousand of your English pounds, and a yearly income of more than seven thousand. King Francis is also prepared to add to her dowry substantial gold plates and jewels, as they are distant relatives.”

Henry gulped. That value was beyond what he had expected and would certainly bring great comfort on his brother.

“While the monetary benefits to this union are obvious, my lord,” Queen Eleanor said. “Men are taken with beauty. Does she have that?”

“Of course, Queen Eleanor,” the French lord smiled widely. “Her beauty is without limit, with fair skin, brown hair, and strong eyes. She also has been educated as befitting of a lady of her station, but unfortunately, her grasp of English is not very good.”

“Well, that will have to be fixed, if she wants to be successful wife and Duchess of Somerset,” Elizabeth said.

“What does France expect from England, if this marriage is to proceed?” Sir Richard asked.

“As France is still engaged in the war in Italy and there has been peace between our nations, King Francis has expressed his wishes that the marriage will continue that peace. He was also wished that a gathering between King Henry and King Francis take place, as it will be a joyous occasion between our two great nations.”

Henry exchanged looks with Elizabeth, Eleanor, Warham, Ruthall, and Sir Richard. “A gathering? Do you mean like a festival?”

“Yes, King Henry,” the French ambassador nodded. “It is to signal to all of Europe that the peace that has defined our bonds will persist and that the wedding between the Duke of Somerset and Madeleine de La Tour will be the symbol of that peace.”

Henry did like the sound of that. After all, he had heard that King Francis was just like him in many ways and wanted to see if the King of France could match him in what he could do.

“Any other terms, my lord?” Queen Eleanor was not too happy that the union was happening, as her relatives were fighting France and her adopted country were still occupied with the Irish campaign, but she had deep affections for her brother-in-law and wished him happiness.

“As Madeleine’s sister Anne is currently married to the Duke of Albany in Scotland, King Francis has also expressed that the closer ties between the Duke of Somerset and the premier lord of Scotland will result in continued peace between England and Scotland.”

“Ah.” Henry finally understood why King Francis allowed this marriage to take place. It was true that the northern border was largely peaceful besides the occasional border clash and that there was no trouble between his sister Margaret and brother-in-law King James IV, but Henry had to keep watch should the Scots do anything such as renewing their Auld Alliance with France. By having the sister of the Duke of Albany’s wife married to Edmund, King Francis just connected the three nations together.

“I am sure that a continued tranquility with Scotland and Meg will benefit all of us.” Elizabeth saw Henry’s hesitation and silently told him to not jeopardize the negotiations.

“And should this marriage take place, will my brother also have safe conduct to review his wife’s lands?” Henry asked.

“Of course. It will be granted and signed by King Francis himself.”

Henry glanced at his wife, mother, two councilors, and Sir Richard once more. After seeing that they were not holding reservations, he bobbed his head. “Then under these terms, we accept the marriage contract.”

Later that night, Eleanor and Elizabeth brough Edmund to Henry’s presence chamber, where he was waiting with the portrait of Madeleine de La Tour, currently covered. “I assume that the both of them told you of the news, Ned.”

“They did. They said that I was going to be married.”

Henry smiled and hugged him. “But what is wrong? You do not seem very happy.”

Edmund chuckled lightly. “I thought I had more time, Harry. More time to have fun, play, learn.”

Elizabeth patted her youngest son’s head. “You will not marry her right away, Ned, but the contract has been signed. And you cannot deny that this marriage has many benefits, all of which you will enjoy.”

“And I hear she is pretty, even though she might be French,” Eleanor added.

Henry could see that he was still unsure. “Listen, Ned. I might have a son now, but we are going to need more Tudor heirs. And I want to know what it is like to be an uncle, while mother would like more grandchildren. Would you deny us both that chance?”

Edmund sighed before he shook his head. “No, of course not.” He noticed the covered portrait. “Is that her?”

“Yes.” Henry walked eagerly to the portrait and pulled off the cover. As the French lord had described, she had fair skin, brown hair, strong eyes, and a defined neck as well as having a slim body. Her nose and lips fit well and there was nothing out of place. Henry was amused at how Edmund kept staring at it, taken with his betrothed. He put his arm around Edmund’s neck. “It seems that Ned’s heart has now been taken,” he jested.

Edmund chuckled. “Well, it is a good flattery. I have yet to meet her.”

“You will meet her soon, Ned. Very soon,” Eleanor was also happy for her brother-in-law.

The Duke of Buckingham drank his wine heavily as the court heard the news of Prince Edmund’s betrothal to a wealthy French noblewoman who was closely connected to King Francis. He had considered offering his daughter to the youngest son of the Tudor family, but now his hopes for a royal match were dashed.

All the while, the Duke of Norfolk looked on with disgust. He might have had his own ambitions for his family, but he was more careful about it and certainly practiced more discretion. “Perhaps you have had enough, Your Grace.”

“Leave me alone, Norfolk. I now have to endure being on the sidelines much longer.”

“I would hardly call your status on the sidelines.”

“Just like my father with Richard III and myself during the first Tudor king, I have to endure the humiliation of submitting myself to a ruler whose only claim to the throne came a from a bastard through his mother’s line.”

The Duke of Norfolk shook his head. “You know, it is not really in my interest to warn you, but you really have to be careful with that kind of talk. King Henry has a son and a younger brother to secure the crown on his head. The Tudor line will live on.”

“And I should listen to you, because you are spending much time with the runt of the Tudor litter?”

The Duke of Norfolk exhaled. “Very rarely do I see potential in young men, but you would do well in not taking Prince Edmund lightly. He has ideas, all of which can change the face of England. I plan to be there with him.”

The Duke of Buckingham got up in a huff. “You have made your bed, Norfolk, but I do hope that you see the truth in my words.”

Norfolk saw Buckingham walk away to his apartments in his drunken state and groaned. He was taken aback to the de La Poles and anyone else having designs on the throne and all of them ended up dead. He was surely not going to follow them and instead increase his family’s power underneath the throne.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 8
  • New Years, 1516

“Happy New Years, Ned,” Anthony Browne presented Edmund with his gift, which was a bow used by Turkish archers on horseback.

“Thank you, Browne.” Edmund eagerly accepted the exotic bow. “What a great gift. I shall use it well.”

“Happy New Years, Ned.” Edward North stepped forward and gave his gift, which was a jewel-studded dagger from the lands of Persia. Edward’s stepfather was Sir Ralph Warren, as his birthfather Roger North died seven years prior, but both were merchants with wide connections, and they were afforded the occasional luxuries that could not be found anywhere within Europe.

“Beautiful.” Edmund marveled. “Tell Sir Ralph that he is welcome to dine at court and I shall have the pleasure to host him.”

“He will like that very much, Ned.” Even though Edward North was five years younger than Edmund and both of his father figures were essentially “new men,” he liked Edward and thought of him as the younger brother that he wanted.

“Happy New Years, Ned.” John Gates came forward and brought him a ring. “My father got that as part of the spoils of war in Munster and thought that you would like it.”

John’s father, Sir Geoffrey Gates, came from a more acceptable background to court, as they hailed from Essex gentry. Sir Geoffrey was granted the honor of being a knight banneret and currently commanded a company of one hundred Essex men in the County Clare within Munster, where he was also given a grant of three hundred acres by Henry himself for bravery.

Edmund smiled as he put the ring on his fifth finger on his right hand. “Tell your father that I said thanks and that I shall wear this ring as a reminder of my friend’s father’s bravery.” John was the same age as Edward and like him, Edmund treated John like a little brother.

Last was Anthony Denny, who Edmund welcomed as part of his circle of friends. Anthony Denny was near the same age as himself and Anthony Browne. As both of them shared the same name, the both of them agreed to call each other by their last names. Denny’s father was a Baron of the Exchequer, which was not a glamorous position within the legal profession, but he did live well enough to be at court.

“Happy New Years, Ned.” Denny gave Edmund a bracelet made of gold. “My father recently solved a matter to everyone’s satisfaction and one of them gave them this as a sign of his thanks. As we cannot keep gold in the house in case someone tries to steal it, what better person than a prince?”

That was one of the reasons why Edmund decided to befriend him. Browne, John, and Edward were pleasant company enough, but Denny was very honest and not afraid to show his true feelings. In a court of sycophants, Edmund found that refreshing, and he needed more friends like him.

“Well, Denny, I shall keep it safe then.” Edmund put on the bracelet.

“What do you think, Ned, now that you are about to be married?” Browne asked.

“I do not know, honestly.”

“From what I heard, this French lady is rich and quite beautiful,” Edward added.

“I have seen the portrait, but I am not due to marry for two more years. By then, I will have reached eighteen years and she will be nineteen.”

“Why do they delay the marriage?” Denny inquired.

“She is… using this time to sort out her inheritance with French authorities and her sister Anne, who is married to the Scottish Duke of Albany.”

“Is that a fact?” John was surprised. Even though he was still a boy, he had some familiarity with international politics.

“Yes. Who would have thought that my brother-in-law was the highest peer of the lands north of here?” Edmund noted dryly.

“It might not be that bad. We have peace with the Scots and having the Duke of Albany as your blood can help keep it should there be tension,” Browne stated.

“I am not so sure about that. The Scots can be quite tricky to deal with at times.” Edmund had read the letters sent by his sister in Scotland regarding the Scottish court.

“If I remember correctly, the Duke of Albany does not have children with your betrothed’s sister.”

Edmund looked at Denny curiously. “How did you know that?”

“You are my friend, Ned, and I decided to look around regarding your new wife’s family. The Duke of Albany does not have children and it has been over ten years since their marriage, meaning that should she die and the Duke of Albany dies, all of her titles will go to your new French lady and therefore to you.”

Now that Edmund had thought about it, the lands that came with Anne’s dowry to the Duke of Albany would be a nice addition to the wealth awaiting him already. “Whatever the instance, Denny, I am not going to wish ill on the Duke no matter what I will gain and my personal feelings towards him.”

“You have not met him, but I understand,” Denny nodded.

“Will we be invited to your wedding?” Edward asked.

“Of course, Eddy.” Edmund grinned. “All of you will. I will make sure to have you seated as close to my family as possible.”

Just then, the doors of his apartments opened and in came Henry, Eleanor, and his baby nephew, along with his own friends Charles Brandon, Thomas Knivet, and William Compton. Immediately, Edward North, John Gates, Anthony Browne, and Anthony Denny bowed deeply to the king and queen while Brandon, Knivert, and Compton snickered at the boys. Eleanor shot them a look and they all stopped instantly.

“Looks like Ned here is enjoying New Years.” Henry hugged his brother tightly. “Thank you for the gift, brother.”

“Of course, Your Grace.” Edmund had given him a watch made by a German craftsman named Peter Henlein in the city of Nuremberg and he commissioned the watch to be made out of gold.

“And I very much loved my watch, Ned.” Eleanor waved hers around in front of the others.

Edmund eyed baby Edward. “How is my nephew, my queen?”

“Very strong and spirited, like his father. Would you like to hold him?” After seeing Edmund nod eagerly, she carefully handed the Duke of Cornwall into his arms.

Edmund could see that he had inherited the red hair and fierce eyes that so defined the Tudors. Red cheeked, the baby was moving around with his arms and legs, and Edmund did not notice his friends gathering around and looking upon the future king of England with awe. After taking in his nephew, he handed the baby back to Eleanor.

“So, how is our Prince Edmund dealing with the news that he is about to be married?” Charles Brandon asked.

Edmund tolerated him because Henry liked him, but he found him insufferable at certain points. “Certainly as well as I can hope, Sir Charles. Are you ready to marry Lady Lisle soon?”

Charles Brandon was betrothed to Elizabeth Grey, Viscountess Lisle, who was a well-connected noblewoman with ties to families such as the Talbots. He could see the sense in the match, for Henry wanted to enrich his friend.

“Ah, he is not just going to Lord Lisle soon. I have made him the Duke of Suffolk as a New Years’ gift,” Henry revealed.

“Suffolk?” Edmund was surprised. The last person to hold that title was a de la Pole and while Charles Brandon’s father had held their father’s banner at Bosworth, a dukedom was very unexpected for someone who came from low-ranking gentry.

“Is there a problem, Ned?” Henry asked.

“No, no, my king,” Edmund denied. “Giving titles to whom you choose is within your rights, but a dukedom is very unexpected.”

“He is my friend, Ned. I will make him comfortable and exalted just like good Sir Thomas and Sir William here. I would expect nothing less for you to honor your own friends.” Edmund had to admit that. “We are about to play tennis, all of us. Do you want to join?”

“Absolutely.” Edmund loved royal tennis and was eager to play whenever he came to Hampton Court. “Your Grace, can my friends play also?”

“Only Anthony Browne and Anthony Denny. The other two are too young to play right now, but they can watch,” Henry consented.

Not that it mattered much to Edmund, for he was going to have Edward and John collect wagers from the courtiers while both Browne and Denny prepared themselves for a tennis match with the king.

As Hampton Court watched the Tudor brothers play against each other with their partners, the Scottish ambassador to the English court observed how richly the English courtiers indulged themselves. While he did partake in the pleasures offered in London, he took more pleasure in activities that engaged his mind like writing letters and translating books from Latin to Scots.

“What is the news from Edinburgh, my lord Douglas?” He was surprised that the French ambassador approached him, even though their countries enjoyed traditionally close links.

“I am not a lord, monsieur,” Sir William Douglas of Glenbervie answered in French. “Even though my father was the 5th Earl of Angus. But to answer your question, King James IV has high hopes for the match between his brother-in-law and Lady Madeleine.”

“Indeed. What better way to ensure that peace is maintained between our three great nations than marriage?” the French ambassador also spoke in his native tongue.

Sir William Douglas was the second son of the head of the “Red Douglas” family, who replaced the “Black Douglases” after their rebellion against James II of Scotland, the current king’s grandfather. He accepted the post in London because he needed to get away from the Scottish court for a time, but he found that the Tudors were something to be very much concerned about.

“I am not sure about peace, not after I read the reports of what is happening in Ireland,” Sir William said.

“Men acting like beasts against one another. Nothing new,” the French ambassador remarked.

“But you did not come from this culture, monsieur. We Scots have close ties with our Irish brethren, and we are very much disturbed at what the English are doing.”

“But it is not really your concern, is it? After all, the King of England is also the Lord of Ireland by papal decree,” the French ambassador reminded him.

Sir William was not blind as to why the Tudor brothers were conducting a general subjugation of the entirety of Ireland. “I am just worried that once they taste success in Ireland, who knows if that will be enough to sate their lust for battle? For conquest?”

The French ambassador crooked his head at him. “Conquest?”

“Come now, monsieur. King Henry still calls him King of France and he has stated in public that he looks up to those like Edward III and Henry V, the very one who crushed your people at Agincourt.”

“I know my history, Sir William. What is your point?”

“My point is that once the Tudor brothers succeed in Ireland, do you think that they will stop there? Do you think that they will not pursue grander ambitions such as a war with our countries?”

The French ambassador swallowed. “That is certainly a possibility, but not one my king will concern himself with for now. As of this point, all he sees are English arms aimed at Irishmen and not at Frenchmen. As long as they do not point in our direction, we will not concern ourselves with who they choose to fight.”

Sir William fought back a scoff. He might have had his doubts on Scotland’s peace with England, but he increasingly found the French more unreliable with each decade that they swore to protect Scotland from England’s grasps. It made him wonder. Is our alliance with France even worth it now?

Tudor New Years is around March and for those who are not aware of Tudor pastimes, Henry VIII was an avid tennis player (not the type we are familiar with). Charles Brandon's betrothal with the Viscountess Lisle will go through, but Mary Tudor is out of his reach. And Sir William Douglas' father was the 5th Earl of Angus.

Last edited:
    Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 9
  • Spring 1518

Elizabeth stood proudly as her son arrived at Calais straight from Ireland. From what she was told, he had proved himself to be a mature and able Lord Lieutenant, as well as a competent leader of men. Henry and Eleanor had just celebrated the birth of another son, the future Duke of York. Everyone at court was surprised that they chose the name Lionel, given that there was only one other prince in England that had that name, Lionel of Antwerp, but they accepted it as a good name. Elizabeth herself liked it, as she preferred to have different but strong names for the future generations of Tudors.

As such, with two sons to secure the throne, Henry finally allowed Edmund to go into battle. With a reinforcement of five thousand men, he moved into Munster and besieged Liscarroll Castle near Cork. Apparently, the Earls of Desmond had not responded well to more direct rule from England and thus rose their banners in rebellion. As such, Henry had the Desmond earls attainted and convicted of treason by Act of Parliament, so Edmund was to give no quarter. Elizabeth had heard that nearly three hundred men at Liscarroll Castle was put to the sword while the Lord Desmond himself was nowhere to be found.

Edmund then moved on to nearby Blarney Castle, owned by the MacCarthy family, Lord of Muskerry, and Ross Castle in County Kerry, which was controlled by the O’Donoghue family. Apparently, the MacCarthy lords had heard about what happened at Liscarroll Castle and surrendered without a fight. But Edmund showed them generosity by allowing them to keep their castle and their lands while they had to show complete submission to the English crown. The O’Donoghues chose to fight and as expected, they were shown no mercy and everyone who took up arms against Edmund and his troops were killed. Thus, Edmund had overseen the subjugation of Munster and thus completed the conquest of all of Ireland.

Afterwards, Edmund spent much time at Dublin Castle and was directly involved in the administration of Ireland. Just like what her husband had done after Bosworth, Edmund did much to limit the powers of the Irish lords in order to make them into pliable subjects under the English crown. Sheriffs and Justices of the Peace were appointed, and English garrisons were established. Edmund had also made himself busy with his new lands in Ulster, which was greatly expanded after Henry himself had secured that region. However, whether peace would last was still to be answered with time.

Bringing herself back to the present, Elizabeth’s saw Edmund’s ship dock at Calais and she was struck at how… different he seemed. While she could still recognize him from his face, his eyes reflected what she had seen too many times. Those were eyes that had seen death and the man with those eyes being hardened from violence. She should not have been surprised, for the English lords and soldiers had sung their praises on his ability as a commander, but she was worried now.

Elizabeth hugged him tightly, which he returned with some hesitation. “Welcome, Ned. I hope that you are excited about the festivities.”

Edmund gave a small smile. “Indeed, mother.”

Elizabeth took him by the arm and led him to Calais castle and then onto the fields within the Pale. “By the end of this week, you will be a husband and soon a father.”

“Do not worry, mother. I will do my duty.”

Elizabeth looked at him in the eye. “I know you will, but I also want you to be happy. I never knew that I was going to find happiness with your father, but I did. I pray that you will have that same joy.” Edmund gave that small smile yet again, which made Elizabeth more worried. “What is wrong, Ned?”

“It is nothing, mother.”

“Come now. I am your mother and I know when you are troubled. Please, tell me.”

Edmund sighed, and she was shocked that he sounded annoyed. “It really is nothing, mother. I am just tired from battle.”

Elizabeth stopped just before they entered the castle. “What was it about battle that made you tired?”

“Why are you so curious, mother?” Edmund was increasingly bothered.

“Do not use that tone with me, Ned. I am asking because I am concerned, like any mother would be for her children.”

“And as I said, it is nothing.”

Elizabeth wanted to know more, but not wishing bad bonds between them and right before a joyous occasion, she decided to stop asking. “Perhaps… after this week, we can talk?”

Edmund shrugged. “As you wish.”

After Edmund was settled down in his rooms at Calais, Elizabeth sought out Henry, who was busy with practicing archery with Charles Brandon, the new Duke of Suffolk. “My king.”

While Henry simply turned around, the Duke of Suffolk bowed low. “Yes, mother?”

“May I speak with you?”

Henry nodded while he gave leave to the Duke of Suffolk to continue practicing. “What is it that you needed to interrupt my sporting?”

“I am worried about Ned.”

“What about him?”

Elizabeth told Henry on how he had responded to her inquiries and expressed her concern after hearing of his accolades in Ireland.

“I agree that how he answered you was wrong, and I will talk to him about that. But mother, I am sure that he has much on his mind and maybe a good day of rest followed by more with sporting should be able to make the Ned we know come back.”

Elizabeth nodded, as sporting did much to relieve the burdens off of men’s minds. “I hope you are right, Harry. I just do not want Ned to become someone that I do not know.”

Henry kissed his mother’s cheek. “Worry not, mother. I will make sure that he is looking forward to much comfort and sporting before he has to settle down and marry.”

Madeleine watched eagerly as the Duke of Somerset, her intended, prepared himself for the upcoming joust. His opponent was Philippe of Savoy, son of the Duke of Savoy and uncle of King Francis. He wore armor that looked as if it came fresh from the smith, but the armor was not heavily ornamented besides the royal arms of England on the breastplate and shield. From his face, she could see that he was not smiling and merely put down his visor as both he and Phillippe of Savoy engaged in the tilt.

The previous night, Madeleine had danced with her intended while everyone else looked on with eagerness, including the kings of England and France. Despite her being a year older than him, he was very much a grown man, with red hair that went down to his neck, well-trimmed beard, blue eyes, and a strongly built form, which she could tell from the grip of his hands. He was also very tall, taller than his brother, but King Henry did not seem to mind at all, which demonstrated the strength of the bond between the Tudor brothers.

“If it might please you, my lady,” Edmund began in French. “I can go a little slower for you.”

Madeleine shook her head. “It is all right, Your Grace. You are doing fine,” she mustered her best English. Even after two years, she was still struggling.

Edmund’s face softened, surprising Madeleine. “Not bad, my lady,” he answered back in English. “But pray tell me. Who taught you to speak English?”

“Your ambassador at court.”

Edmund pursed his lips. “I see… it does not matter. You will have plenty of time to strengthen your English after you come with me.”

Madeleine cursed herself for not applying herself enough in her lessons. “I apologize if I meant you offense, Your Grace.”

“No, no. You are trying and that is enough for me, my lady. What I do not appreciate is those who do not try at all, and you putting the effort says much about your character.”

Madeleine blushed at the compliment. “Merci beaucoup, Monseigneur. But I must ask. Is it true that you have seen battle in Ireland?”

“I have, my lady.”

Madeleine had to be careful. “I am not going to ask you what it was like, as some other ladies of the court might foolishly do, but I have seen what battle does to men. I have relatives who have fought in Italy and they were changed.”

“Why do you bring this up, my lady?”

“If we are to be married, I do not want us to hide things from each other. Your burdens will be my burdens, and my burdens will be yours. That is what my mother taught me about marriage.”

The Duke of Somerset looked at her, surprised. Madeleine was worried that she had said the wrong thing, but to her relief, he smiled. “If only I knew you to be honest from the start. Never had I heard a more admirable statement from any others before yourself.”

Madeleine stopped herself from giggling in delight, as she was happy that her intended shared the same mind as herself. That was the reason why she tied her favor to the Duke of Somerset’s lance before the tilting, and why she was cheerful when after three strikes of the lance, the Duke of Somerset triumphed.

The wedding ceremony took place at the end of the week, and Madeleine did not pay much attention to the pomp and ceremony that came with the wedding, including the bishop giving his blessings and the royal families of England and France watching in delight. Her sister Anne and her brother-in-law the Scottish Duke of Albany were also present, although the Duke was clearly not looking forward to having Prince Edmund as his brother-in-law. Madeleine told him that the fate of three countries were on the line with this marriage and warned him to not do anything that would jeopardize that.

The wedding feast that took place afterwards also passed by quickly, as more ceremony took place. But everyone attending, including King Henry and King Francis, were apprehensive when it came time for the Duke of Albany to present his wedding gift. He presented a claymore, the type of blade favored by the Scottish Highlanders, which was ornamented by Flemish craftsmen with jewels and gold. Although it was a good weapon, there was also the symbolism behind that blade, as the Highlanders had developed an antipathy to Englishmen in general, which was honestly well-founded given the bad history between the two countries.

Edmund took the blade and observed it, ignoring the angry stare from King Henry who was also familiar with the meaning behind the claymore. To everyone’s surprise, he held out his hand. “Thank you for your gift, Lord Albany. I look forward to more gestures of strength from my brother-in-law.”

Even the Duke of Albany was surprised at how he answered that, but everyone was relieved when Albany shook his hand. Madeleine was impressed, but she was going to have more words with her Scottish brother-in-law, who clearly did not heed her warnings.

Then came the bedding ceremony, which was thoroughly prepared with flower petals and rich scents. After all of the family and bishops left after giving their blessings, with Madeleine awaiting her husband in her nightgown, they both shared one last drink of wine before they proceeded. All she remembered was a long night of bliss and delight as the two truly became one.

I'm a bit of a romantic, but had to keep things implied. Hope that was sensible.

But while Ireland has been conquered, that does not mean that the campaign is over. Expect years of underground resistance.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 10
  • Madeleine rode on horseback as part of the royal procession. She rode close by her new husband Edmund, both of them just behind the carriage containing Eleanor and her new son Prince Lionel Tudor and Henry, who also rode on horseback. Although it was not easy for her to learn how to ride, she took to it well and eagerly took the opportunity to ride next to Edmund.

With Ireland subjugated through force of arms and the Duke of Somerset married, Henry decided that it was time for a royal progress. Preparations were made as soon as they returned to England and Henry thought it proper to also meet his sister Margaret and King James IV in Northumberland along the way. After a week, the Scottish royal couple had agreed to meet them at Newcastle and thus began the royal progress that would show to all of England the unity of the families.

Madeleine was initially apprehensive about her new brother-in-law the King of England, but she found that he was very generous to those he held affection for. He gave the Suffolk dukedom to his friend Charles Brandon while arranging for his marriage to the wealthy Lady Lisle, which was going to happen soon. Out of all of the places in Ireland that he could have landed to start his campaign, he chose Ulster since his brother was the earl and it thus became the first region to be secured by English troops. Despite her personal doubts about his circle of friends such as Sir Francis Bryan, Madeleine saw that Henry rewarded his friendship with important positions such as making Sir Francis master of the toils and constable of all of the castles in Hertfordshire.

Madeleine was also to experience Henry’s generosity. Upon her arrival at the English court, Henry introduced her as “my dear sister” and “a very powerful woman,” the latter being an exaggeration, but she was not going to reject it. However, others at court such as the Duke of Buckingham were less than enthusiastic about a Frenchwoman in the same space as they were. Henry caught on as to what they were feeling and decided to grant her English titles and lands also. She was surprised when both she and Edmund were called to his presence chamber, where Henry made her the Countess of Hereford and Lincoln, while adding the Earl of Cambridge as another of Edmund’s titles, along with lands in Wales and other parts of England that supplemented their already large personal income.

“You are too generous, my king,” Madeleine bowed lower in gratitude.

“Nonsense, Lady Somerset. It is only right that you be acknowledged here in England as you were in France, but you are also now a Princess of England by marriage, so you deserve nothing less. But these additional titles will pass onto my nephews and nieces when they are born, so they will know comfort from the moment they enter this world.”

“Thank you, my king.”

“Please, I am your brother-in-law. You may call me ‘Harry.’”

“Yes… Harry.”

They then arrived in York, where the people looked upon the future Duke of York. Madeleine was impressed at how devout the people were and even visited Pontefract Castle, where she was made aware of the dark history behind that fortress, which saw the death of a king and Richard III beginning his grab of the English crown.

“If only Richard III knew not to usurp the throne and make many in England angry, the Plantagenets would still reign,” Edmund said.

“But if Richard III did all of that, then your family would not taken the crown, and you would not have been born,” Madeleine pointed out.

They both walked on the walls of the castle. “This castle has weathered many low points of England’s history. I keep wondering when happy memories will overcome the dark ones.”

“They already have.” Madeleine placed her hand on his cheek. “We are starting it.”

Edmund kissed her hand. “Indeed, mon chéri.”

Madeleine could only smile whenever he spoke French. It brought out a softer side to Edmund, something that disappeared whenever he spoke English. However, before she could start speaking French, she had to speak English better than any Englishwoman.

Finally, the progress arrived at Newcastle, with trumpets sounding the approach of the king and his family. Although King Henry loved the attention, he also brought forth Edmund, who he stated was a hero for finally completing the conquest of Ireland. A large feast was thrown in their honor and many in the town looked upon not just the king and queen, but also the Duke and Duchess of Somerset with curious eyes.

Madeleine was warned by her friends in France that she had to be careful in England, for there were those who would not be receptive to her due to her status as a Frenchwoman. It indeed made her worry, but alongside her husband, she believed in her ability to charm the people of her adopted country and she was not going to let their skepticism influence their view of her.

Madeleine asked Edmund if she could learn how to hunt, which confused him. “Why do you want to know how to hunt?”

“Because Harry and the English lords love hunting. If I can hunt as well as they can, I am sure that they will not see me as another Frenchwoman.”

Edmund exhaled. “I understand, Madeleine. And frankly, I do not see a problem with that. But this is not France. The lords in England will not favorably upon a woman who does pursuits reserved for men.”

“Men and women dance together here in England, do they not? Why not hunt together?”

“Madeleine, I have been hunting since I was a boy. You never hunted before and you never held a bow or used a spear. It is a very dangerous sport, and if you are not careful, you can die or get seriously hurt.”

Madeleine was touched by his concern, but she needed to find some way to become more accepted by England’s people. “Is there any other way, Ned?”

Edmund thought it through. “What about hawking? You can still hunt, but it is not as physically strenuous or risky as hunting.”

The next day, Edmund, Madeleine, and both Anthony Browne and Anthony Denny all went out hawking and Edmund taught her the essentials before allowing her to do so on her own. Although it was a struggle at first, Madeleine felt a rush when her hawk caught her first prey and she kept at it for a few hours before they had to proceed to Newcastle.

At Newcastle, Madeleine kept up with her hawking before Edmund was able to obtain permission from Henry to observe the hunt. Naturally, Eleanor came along. As she gave birth to both the future Prince of Wales and Duke of York, she was allowed much freedom in what she did, and no one questioned her when she wanted to hunt or partake in other activities reserved for men.

Madeleine observed it all from horseback, with her new English lady-in-waiting attending to her. She rather liked her, whose name she discovered was Maud Green, who hailed from Northampton gentry and also spoke French.

“How do you like your new home, Your Highness?” Maud Green asked in French.

“Honestly, I expected nothing. But after coming all the way here, I find that there is indeed much to do. I just have to look for chances to engage myself.”

“Very much so, Your Highness. That is a way of thinking that I encourage in my children, particularly my daughters Catherine and Anne.”

Madeleine made herself familiar with the family of her lady-in-waiting. “I understand that you also have a son by your late husband, Sir Thomas Parr, who is currently a ward to the king?”

“Indeed, Your Highness. His name is William.” Maud was very moved that she took the time to know her family.

Madeleine nodded. “How much would it please you if I found good marriages for your son and daughters, while also arranging them all to enter the peerage?”

Maud looked at her with surprise. “You would do that for me, Your Highness?”

“You have served me well for the past few months, and will continue to do so for many more. It is only right that I repay the favor.”

“You do not have to do that, Your Highness.”

“Consider it as a gesture of goodwill, my first act of kindness to a very good Englishwoman.”

Maud bowed her head deeply. “You honor very much, Your Highness.”

Madeleine nodded before she noticed her husband and brother-in-law returning, along with their catch. “Ah, here they come.”

Eventually, the royal party from Scotland had finally arrived. Madeleine looked her eyes upon King James IV of Scotland and Queen Margaret Tudor, both her brother-in-law and sister-in-law respectively. The Scottish king had just turned forty-five while Margaret was about to turn twenty-nine, but both of them looked as active as ever. Accompanying them were their children, or those that survived lived past the cradle: James, the Duke of Rothesay and future king of Scotland; Alexander, the Duke of Ross and the spare to the throne; and Princess Christina.

Both the kings dipped their heads in respect to one another. Although tensions between Scotland and England still existed, all anyone could see were two kings bonded by marriage while exchanging smiles and hugs.

“Welcome to Newcastle, Your Grace,” Henry greeted King James.

“It is very good to see you as well, King Henry.”

Henry then kissed Margaret’s cheeks. “Dear Meg, it has been a long time, and you are still as beautiful as ever.”

“Enough with the flattery, Harry. It is Ellie who is more beautiful,” Margaret jested.

When the Scottish royal couple approached Edmund and Madeleine, King James shook his hand while kissing Madeleine’s. “Indeed you are fair, Lady Madeleine, and your husband has grown into a fine man,” the Scottish king spoke in French.

“Thank you, Your Grace.” She then met Margaret. “It is so nice to finally meet you, Queen Margaret. You have a fine husband and beautiful children.”

“You flatter me very much, Lady Madeleine. I hope you can bring the happiness that my dear brother Ned needs.” She exchanged a look with Edmund, who responded with a cordial one.

Although they were siblings, Madeleine could tell that Margaret and Edmund were not close with each other. That was understandable, as Edmund was four years old when Margaret went to marry King James and they had not seen each other since despite the letters sent between Edinburgh and London. That was something that Madeleine hoped to rectify, for they planned to be in Newcastle for the next two weeks.

I have two sisters-in-law who are queens. I should become close with one of them at the least.

Francis was surprised when he had heard that he had two petitioners from Ireland and that his chamberlain allowed them to make their petitions. However, he was nervous at what had happened in Ireland, as England astonished the French court by how quickly they overran that island.

“I present Cormac MacDermot, son of the former king of Moylurg, and James FitzGerald, Earl of Desmond,” the chamberlain announced.

Francis, as well as the rest of the French court, looked upon their Irish visitors with curiosity. He had never looked up a Gaelic Irishman, who were just as exotic as any other barbarian, while FitzGerald had the mannerisms he would expect of a noble of his stature. Both of them bowed their heads to the King of France.

“Your Majesty,” they spoke in Gaelic while someone else interpreted for them in French.

“This is unexpected. What brings you two gentlemen to France?”

“We have come seeking asylum in the court of Your Majesty, as we have both barely escaped with our lives from English arms,” the Earl of Desmond said in English while speaking through the French interpreter.

“And tell me, my lord Desmond, why should I do that when I currently have peace with England?” King Francis asked.

“Do you think that they will stop at Ireland, Your Majesty? Do you not believe that they have ambitions, both the Tudor brothers?”

King Francis sighed heavily, becoming absolutely bored. However, he was not one to turn away opportunities, for the Irish exiles might prove useful in the future. He spoke to the chamberlain. “Introduce these Irish gentlemen to Richard de La Pole. I am sure that he will find some use for them.”

The last de La Pole male, and thus the last inheritor of the Yorkist claim, was currently at the French court while taking a French pension after being expelled by the Holy Roman Emperor. In the event of a war with England, Francis promised the de La Pole pretender support for his claim, but that was not going to happen anytime soon. Instead, like the Irish exiles, he was going to use Richard de La Pole as assets in case the English king and his brother develop ideas that will be at France’s detriment.

“Next!” the chamberlain moved on.

Yes, the Parrs will have a role in this story, even though Catherine Parr will not be queen. And yes, Richard de la Pole is still alive.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 11
  • Margaret had to admit that she was impressed with her new sister-in-law. While her grasp of English was acceptable, she still needed to put more effort. But not only was she wealthy, Madeleine was beautiful, and she was slowly adopting the ways of a proper Englishwoman. She had heard that Madeleine was also learning to how to hawk and hunt, which amused Margaret since that showed that she was not going to let her status as a Frenchwoman hold her back.

While her husband and her brothers were occupied in the hunt, Margaret decided to walk with her new sister-in-law on the walls of Newcastle in an effort to know her better.

“How do you like England so far, my lady?” Margaret asked in French.

“Please speak English, Your Grace. I must become better at it,” Madeleine stated.

Margaret nodded. “As you wish,” she switched back to her native tongue. “How do you like your new home?”

“It is not as busy or crowded like in France, but there is much to do here in this country,” Madeleine answered. “But the men here can be very irritating at times, since they do not allow me to do certain things because I am a woman.”

Margaret chuckled at that. “I know how you feel. I have to deal with the same sort of pigs in Edinburgh and it is indeed irritating. Nevertheless, I have my husband and my children to take comfort in, so the good definitely outweighs the bad in Scotland.”

“But not that Ned is like that. I can say that name in your presence?” Madeleine asked.

“He is your husband and I have seen how happy you two are. You can whatever name you want with me. In fact, you can call me Meg, as we are family after all.”

“Very well… Meg. Going back to Ned, he taught me hawking and he got Harry to consent to me taking part in the hunt earlier in this progress.”

“That is good to hear. It shows that Edmund does care for you, which is astonishing given that you two have just married a few months ago.” Margaret herself was taken to flights of fancy, but fortunately, all of that was still focused on her husband and not anyone else at the Scottish court.

“I find my heart is warmed when I learned more about arranged marriages in the family. Your father and mother grew to love each other, which also happened to Harry and Ellie and to Mary and the Danish king from what I heard. If what I felt with Ned when we are alone together is not love, I do not know what is.”

Margaret smiled widely. “That is… very encouraging to hear. I wonder if God blessed our family so much after all of the tribulations felt by my father before he took the throne.”

Madeleine then had to ask. “Meg, it might not be in my place to inquire, but I noticed the bond that you have between yourself and Ned. I know that you sent letters to each other, but the both of you seem distant. May I ask why?”

Margaret sighed. “You know that I was fourteen years old when I married my husband?” Madeleine nodded. “Well, Ned was still an infant when I went to Scotland and I never saw him again before today. I was too busy with my duties as queen and mother to my three beautiful children, or the ones that lived past the cradle.” Margaret had to hold back tears for her lost babies. “I only had ideas on what Ned would be like, but all of them fell short since he exceeded my expectations.”

“But?” Madeleine knew there was more.

“I am sorry to be saying this about your husband, but he has not experienced how hard life can be while I was practically left all alone in Edinburgh. I had just my husband and my household from England, but all of the courtiers in Scotland only saw me as a foreigner from a nation that they blame for all of their troubles. That can either break you or make you stronger, and I became stronger. However, Ned had Harry, my mother, and Ellie with him and all he did was play before he got married and went to war in Ireland.”

“So, you think he is still a child?” Margaret did not answer, but she did not need to. Madeleine did not hold anger against her, however, and she had to go back to French to really express her thoughts at the moment. “I understand how you feel. I really do. My father died before I got to know him, and I was thirteen when my mother died. With both of my parents gone, me and my sister were seen as prizes by all of those who wanted our inheritance. Fortunately, my cousin took us in and we were protected just long enough until we found good marriages.”

Margaret could very much understand her sentiments.

“But do you think that Ned did not go through his own struggles?” Madeleine came to his defense. “He fought as a soldier in Ireland and before your nephews were born, he had to carry part of the burden of the Tudor dynasty on his shoulders since he was the heir apparent after Harry became king. If both of them died, then the Tudor dynasty would be wiped out. If Harry died without producing children, Ned would become king. Nothing is sure in this life and Ned has to continually prepare himself should the worst happen. Besides, even though Harry is the king, people still approach Ned in an attempt to gain favors and that is a struggle that you should understand.”

Margaret had never thought of that. Despite now being third in line to the English throne, Edmund was still a prince and held vast landholdings in England and now France while he had a close bond with Henry, something that anyone would attempt to exploit for their advantage.

“Perhaps instead of allowing what you might think of him to influence your views of Ned, why not talk to him and really get to know your brother after all of these years? He is not a boy anymore.”

Margaret exhaled before she allowed a small smile to form on her face. “You truly do love him. I can see that.” She rubbed her neck. “But how do I really talk to him?”

“From what I saw, he likes playing cards, but thank God that he does not partake in gambling. Maybe catch him playing cards tonight and join him,” Madeleine suggested.

After the men came back from the hunt, in which over fifty deer were brought back in a day, Margaret approached Edmund as he was playing cards with his friends Anthony Browne and Anthony Denny. Both of them stood up and lowered their heads at her before she sat across her young brother.

“Can I join, Ned?”

Edmund was surprised, but he allowed her to play. “Do you know how to play primero, sister?”

“Not well. Can you teach me?” Margaret knew how to play, but this was her chance to start knowing Edmund at an intimate level.

Edmund did not sense that and proceeded to teach his oldest sister while Madeleine looked on, happy.

Lord Leonard Grey rode on horseback with two hundred men as they made their marched through the boundaries of the Connaught region and ensuring that the local Irish remained compliant with English rule. Even though Lord Worcester headed the overall administration of the entire province, Leonard Grey was appointed by King Henry himself to effectively police the region with armed force. He had under his overall command one thousand men garrisoned at various points throughout Connaught, which included two hundred horse and eight artillery pieces.

When he heard that the O’Dowd family, a long-established Irish clan were holding an election for their new Taoiseach, which was the Gaelic term for their clan leader, at their castle right on the coast and located at some distance from the town of Sligo, Leonard Grey had to attend and ensure that they did not engage in treasonous practices. He also decided to take advantage of the Gaelic tradition of hospitality, meaning that they were obliged by their customs to treat guests with warm food, drink, and beds.

Riding with his troops from their main quarters in Sligo, Lord Leonard arrived at O’Dowd Castle and found a cold reception among the residents there. Nevertheless, they were wise to not oppose him since they all knew that he had the power of the English crown behind him.

“I heard that there is an election happening,” Lord Leonard went straight to business. “As per the new statutes passed by His Highness Prince Edmund Tudor, the Duke of Somerset and His Grace Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, any new elections to select clan leaders must have a representative of the English crown in attendance. Failure to comply with the new statutes will result in a fine of £50 and being charged with sedition against the English crown.”

The men and women at O’Dowd Castle needed Lord Leonard’s Gaelic interpreter to understand his words, making him more frustrated at how the Irish people were not learning to speak English. One of them stepped forward, a man of authority by the looks of him. He spoke to the Gaelic interpreter, to which he said, “My lord, this gentleman is Cathal O’Dowd, nephew of the deceased leader of the clan. He said that he would welcome you and grant you and your men hospitality one the condition that you do not bring your arms into the castle.”

Lord Leonard chuckled maliciously while he turned around to his troops. “Did you hear that, men? He is asking us to give up our weapons before giving us food.” The troops laughed at the seemingly ludicrous request. Lord Leonard then turned back to the Gaelic interpreter. “You tell Master O’Dowd here that he is no position to make any demands of us. Either he grants us hospitality and allow us to observe the election, or I shall have everyone here imprisoned in chains for obstructing royal authority.” The Gaelic interpreter hesitated, causing Lord Leonard to grab him by the collar. “Why are you not interpreting? You are receiving fifty shillings for your work while we stuff good food into your belly and allow you a warm bed. Do not give me a reason to imprison you as well.”

The Gaelic interpreter nodded, and the result was the men and women of the O’Dowd clan glancing at each other as if they could not believe what they had just heard. To prove his point, Lord Leonard dismounted, walked up to Cathal O’Dowd, and backhanded his face so hard that he fell to the ground. All of the O’Dowd people were shocked, but they could not defend the nephew of their late clan leader as Lord Leonard’s troops unsheathed their swords, readied their pikes, and drew their bows.

“As Deputy Constable of Roscommon Castle, I hereby order that the election take place tonight!” Lord Leonard commanded.

“My lord, they need a few more days before all of the clansmen arrive,” the Gaelic interpreter explained.

“And I do not care. I will not spend one more day than necessary among these savages, and they have not realized that things are different now. It is time that they understand who their masters are, and I will use force if they make me.”

Lord Leonard took up his night quarters in the rooms previously held by the deceased clan leader and his men proceeded to take from the meager rations and ale that the castle had, while the local clansmen could do nothing.

Lord Leonard did not originally see himself being active in Ireland, but as the second son of the Marquess of Dorset, he was not going to inherit the substantial Grey fortune and thus saw Ireland as an opportunity to gain wealth and lands for himself. He already received a royal charter in which he obtained one thousand acres within the Connaught region alone, which also contained five hundred male tenants. He could then petition Dublin Castle to become a viscount under those conditions, so things were already looking up for him.

But while he and his troops were sleeping, the feelings of anger and resentment stirred amongst the O’Dowd clansmen, who would not forget how they were mistreated by those claiming protection from the English crown.

Look up Leonard Grey, who actually was quite an SOB in Ireland.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 12
  • Henry grinned as he saw Margaret and Edmund walk together in the yard of Newcastle, with his wife Madeleine smiling and talking with them. Whatever Madeleine had said must have done the trick, as his oldest sister and younger brother were truly getting to know each after not seeing each other for over fifteen years. The only person missing was Mary, but she had duties in Denmark, and he would have to arrange another meeting so that she would be able to come.

But as of now, Henry had a private dialogue with his brother-in-law King James. The progress had to move on and while he enjoyed the festivities between the English and Scottish parties, Henry had to focus his mind on state matters again. And with the King of Scotland in the same presence chamber, there would be much to talk about between them.

“I must congratulate you, Your Grace. You have two sons to carry on the Stewart name and one healthy daughter,” Henry began.

“And I must extend my congratulations to you as well,” King James replied back in English, with his distinct Scottish brogue. “You already have two sons to carry on your family’s hold on the English crown. God has blessed you very much.”

“Indeed, Your Grace. Now, I hope that my next child with my queen will be a girl, as England needs to have princesses as well as princes.”

“Very true, King Henry. I have three daughters myself besides Christina. Even though they were not of legitimate birth, I still love them as any father would.”

Henry nodded, for in his mind, no one could blame a king for having mistresses. “As we are both kings and busy men, I believe we should move on to business.”

“Please, King Henry,” King James urged.

“I have heard many reports of men loyal to Lord Bothwell, the commander of your fleet, has been making raids on Northumberland. Why is that, Your Grace?”

King James shook his head. “I would not know of any seaborn marauders making raids on English lands.”

“Of course,” Henry accepted. “However, a soldier reporting to Lord Northumberland was sure that he saw the Bothwell banner on one of the ships as they stole £100 worth of cattle and sheep from his lands.”

“That amount of money, I am sure, is a loss that Lord Northumberland can afford. He is the most powerful lord in Northern England, is he not?”

“At the same time, he is charged with the defense of the border between our countries, and I would be remiss if I ignored his complaints.”

“As I said, King Henry, I know nothing of seaborn marauders raiding Lord Northumberland’s domains. If anything, I have ordered that my lords do nothing to antagonize your kingdom, as I have much to gain from peace with you, so long as you do not go to war with France.”

“Do you believe that you will renew the Auld Alliance?” Henry asked with concern.

“I have no reason to, as our nations are at peace despite the occasional troublemakers. Rest assured, my lords will not disobey my orders, despite their personal feelings.”

Henry was intrigued. “What do you mean by that, King James?”

King James sighed. “There are those who are concerned with your Irish campaign and how quickly you overran that island. I trust that you are aware that the Scottish people have close bonds with the Irish?” Henry nodded. “There are those such as in the Highlands and along the western coast of my kingdom that are concerned, especially since Ulster is now completely controlled by your troops and is within striking distance of lands belong to clans like the MacDonalds.”

Henry was frankly concerned about the clans in Ireland and in Scotland, for they behaved like the same nobles that led England to over thirty years of civil war in that they held loyalty only to their clan leader and not their sovereign lord and king. “I trust that you can keep the clans under control.”

“If I am to be honest with you, King Henry, there is only so much that I can do regarding the clans in especially the Highlands. The Romans failed to conquer them, my predecessors were not entirely successful in bringing them under control, and it was Highlanders who ultimately showed to your predecessors that you could not subjugate Scotland as long as the Highlands remained untouched.”

Henry crossed his arms. “If that is the case, King James, should any of your clans behave out of line and causes trouble with my troops, will you come to their defense?”

“I am their king, and I therefore have a responsibility to protect them.” Henry stiffened. “But as I ordered them to keep the peace, if one of them went on an unauthorized expedition against England, I will not do anything because why would I exert effort on behalf of those who disobeyed my commands?”

Henry was not entirely satisfied with his brother-in-law’s response, but it would have to do. “I am glad that we have an understanding.”

Later, Henry saw Edmund, Madeleine, and Margaret playing cards along with Edmund’s friends, Anthony Browne and Anthony Denny. As he approached them, both Anthonys bowed in reverence to their king while his siblings and sister-in-law simply stood up.

“What are you playing?” Henry asked as he sat down to join them.

“Pope Julius, my king,” Madeleine answered.

“But where is the money?” Henry knew that it was a gambling game.

“We are wagering on what gifts we can give each other instead, Harry,” Margaret answered. “So far, Edmund will get a Scottish dagger from me, Madeleine will give me a necklace from Paris, and Master Denny here will receive a favor from Ned, the favor being that he will talk to St. John’s College and allow him entry.”

Henry liked what they were wagering. “In that case, I will put forward my own wager.” He turned to both Anthony Denny and Anthony Browne. “Gentlemen, if the both of you can outplay me, I shall grant you knighthoods.”

Denny and Browne dipped their heads. “Thank you, Your Grace.”

Henry then turned to Madeleine. “Madeleine, will you join the hunt tomorrow? Ellie will also come.”

Madeleine’s face brightened up, as did Edmund’s. “If it is Your Grace’s pleasure.”

“It is. Excellent. You can come also, Meg, but please ask your husband first.”

Margaret nodded. “I shall be delighted, Harry,” before they finished shuffling the cards and they played.

Boats from the western coast of Scotland approached their mark slowly and quietly. All of the daylight is veiled by the growing darkness, as dusk was upon them. One of the rowers began making too much noise while pulling on his oar.

Lord MacDonald turned around and hissed at the rower. “Quiet! We do not those English shites to find out we’re coming.” The rower, as well as the others in the nearby boats, nodded in understanding. They were nearing a very dangerous part of the English-occupied lands and they needed to maintain stealth if they wanted to succeed in their mission.

Alexander Carragh MacDonald, 5th Lord of Dunnyveg, had heard of this Antrim relatives’ call for help when the English overran Ulster, with their king himself leading the charge. As they all carried the same blood and were descended from John of Islay, son of Angus MacDonald, the Highlander hero at Bannockburn, Alexander had to go help them. However, King James got wind of his relatives’ call for help as well and forbid them from committing an unsanctioned attack on the English garrison in Ireland. Naturally, the Highlanders and those along the western coast of Scotland protested, as increased English presence in Ireland would naturally threaten their territories, but they could do nothing.

At last, his Antrim relatives sent a representative to Islay, in which they saw his back had been brutalized by English whips. Lord MacDonald hesitated to go against the orders of King James, but in the face of growing anger amongst the clan and realizing that his position as the clan leader if he continued to do nothing, he assembled one hundred volunteers and rowed across the sea towards the coast of Ulster.

Once they assembled with their Antrim relatives at Dunluce Castle, the main fortress of the MacDonalds, Lord Alexander was able to gather a total of two hundred and fifty men. They decided that their destination would be Carra Castle, home of Conn O’Neill, formerly king and now Baron O’Neill of Tyrone. His uncle was killed by the English king’s troops and to the Gaelic lords in Ulster, he was a coward since he submitted to England too easily. It certainly did not help that the Archbishop of Armagh essentially forced him to submit on pain of excommunication, meaning that the Irish church was on the side of England.

All of the clansmen judged that the O’Neills were weak, as the only reason why they remained in power and in control of their lands was because of the English garrison at Carra Castle. If they could take charge of that castle, they could then move on the O’Neill lands. Also, this would send a message to the rest of the English garrisons in Ireland that it would take more than a few years of sieges for them to truly defeat Gaelic valor. Lord MacDonald, along with his clan, identified themselves with Gaelic tradition anyways rather than as subjects of Scotland.

Satisfied that they were not detected, they landed their boats about a mile away from Carra Castle. Ensuring that their boats were hidden, Lord MacDonald’s men sneaked all the way to the gates, which were surprisingly open.

“Arrogant bastards,” one of the clansmen scoffed. “They think they won and that no one is going to fight them.”

“Save that talk, Angus. We have yet to begin fighting,” Lord MacDonald said to him.

“Look!” another clansman pointed. They saw an English soldier walk outside of the gate and pulling down his pants to relive himself. That clansman did not wait and a few others followed him as they ran towards that soldier.

“Wait!” Lord MacDonald tried to call them back in vain. Instead, he could only watch as that clansman pulled out his knife and threw it at the soldier’s neck, killing him instantly. Groaning, he had to support his kin. “Charge! Charge!”

As they charged through the gate, they found only six other English soldiers inside and they were quickly overcome. The MacDonald clansmen got them all on their knees while they found the rest of the castle emptied.

“Where is your lord? Your captain?” Lord MacDonald mustered his best English.

“Lord O’Neill and Sir Thomas are at Dundalk,” one of them answered. “They are meeting with Lord Kildare.”

Lord MacDonald cursed in Gaelic, for they had missed their chance to cause major damage at the first time. Not willing to take prisoners, he told his clansmen to cut their prisoners’ throats and he watched as they bled to death on the castle yard. “Burn everything here!” he commanded.

After taking the castle’s livestock and anything of value, the MacDonald clansmen burned everything else. As they left, Carra Castle went up in smoke and Lord MacDonald swore that the fire could be seen for miles around against the darkness of the night. However, they failed to do the first strike against their English enemies and their Irish collaborators, and he knew that it would not be so easy the next time.

With their plunder, they rowed back to Dunluce Castle, anticipating a response.

It's quite fascinating but yet very dark, the history associated with Clan Donald and its many branches, with one being the victim of the infamous Glen Coe massacre.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 13
  • Autumn 1518

Edmund sat on the center seat of the long table, alongside the Duke of Norfolk, William Rokeby as both the Archbishop of Dublin and Lord Chancellor of Ireland, John Rawson as the Lord Treasurer of Ireland, Richard Golding as Chief Baron of the Exchequer, Thomas Rochfort as the Master of the Rolls, and Patrick Bermingham as both the Chancellor of the Exchequer of Ireland and Lord Chief Justice. Also in attendance was Lord Kildare and Sir Thomas Clifford, younger son of Lord Clifford who remained in Ireland after being appointed as Constable of Dublin Castle.

Before them was Sir Humphrey Dacre, the second son of Thomas Dacre, 2nd Baron Dacre, whose family hailed from Cumberland and was very influential throughout northern England. Sir Humphrey took part in the opening stages of the Irish campaign and took part in the subjugation of the O’Rourke kings of Breifne. For his services and as a favor to Lord Dacre, Henry granted him ten thousand acres in the new county of Coleraine, centered around the town of the same name. Sir Humphrey was also appointed the sheriff of the county, meaning that maintaining law and order in Coleraine was his responsibility.

And that was the reason why Sir Humphrey stood before Edmund and the other members of the ruling council of Ireland, for they received reports of increased rebel activity along the Ulster coasts.

“And you say that Irish rebels came in and just… burned your castle?” the Duke of Norfolk asked.

“Yes, Your Grace. However, some of the people in the town also said that they heard Scottish voices amongst the raiders. I have reason to believe that the Scots are involved in the wanton destruction of my castle and the theft of my livestock,” Sir Humphrey answered.

“And how would they know what the Scots sound like, Sir Humphrey?” Edmund asked.

“Your Highness, the people in my county have close links with the clans along the western coast of Scotland. From what I had read, the peoples between those regions have enjoyed freedom of movement until now.”

Edmund’s private secretary kept track of everything that was said. “If what you say is true, why do you think that the Scots have decided to attack your lands now?” Edmund continued his line of inquiry.

“Your Highness, with our arrival in Ireland, or our imposition of more direct rule from England, the old structures that have influenced the fabric of the Irish people are under threat. Your Highness might have completed the conquest of this country a few months ago, but I have discovered that nothing much has changed besides the appointments of Englishmen in positions of power. The clans are still in control and we now have those in our Irish lands that have close links with the those along the Scottish western coast, which we cannot reach.”

Edmund sighed. William Rokeby decided to ask his own question. “But you are the sheriff of County Coleraine. What measures have you undertaken to ensure that law and order is maintained?”

Sir Humphrey kept silent, catching the council’s attention. “Answer the archbishop’s question, Sir Humphrey,” Norfolk pressed.

Edmund then had to ask. “When did the most recent rebel raid occur, Sir Humphrey?”

“Five days ago, Your Highness.”

The Duke of Somerset groaned. “So, instead of trying to control the situation as mandated by your duties as sheriff, your first instinct was to come here and ask us for help?”

Sir Humphrey gulped. “Do you not have six hundred men under your command, Sir Humphrey?” Norfolk was also clearly annoyed.

“As this is a set of circumstances that I had not anticipated, my lords, I came here for guidance.”

Edmund shook his head. “Sir Humphrey, what is the point of making you sheriff and putting you in charge of a garrison if you are not going to use your powers and troops to solve a problem by yourself?”

The Lord Chancellor stepped in. “Wait outside, Sir Humphrey.” He dipped his head before leaving the council chamber.

“Well, my lords, it appears that so soon after I had completed the subjugation of this country, we are already facing a rebellion on our hands,” Edmund remarked.

“Should we not put all of the garrisons on alert, especially those along the Irish coasts, Your Highness?” Sir Thomas Clifford suggested.

“We should also send out agents throughout the country,” Lord Kildare added. “We have to ensure that any unrest does not reach unmanageable levels and have those loyal to the crown report on those with treasonous intentions.”

“We have to also remind the Irish people on who should command their loyalties,” the Lord Chief Justice put forward. “Your Highness, I believe it is time that we begin to dismantle the clan system.”

“That is easier said than done, my lord,” Lord Kildare pointed out. “With the arrival of the king’s troops, all of the privileges enjoyed by the clans and their leaders were ended. However, we have to keep in mind that the clans also represent families, and the same families that are part of the clans have inhabited this island for over a thousand years. If we try to do eliminate the clans too quickly, not only will we face outright rebellion. The entire social fabric of this country might be ripped apart.”

“So, Lord Kildare, you mean to say that we are to tolerate treasonous actions because of how the Irish people view family?” Norfolk posed.

“With respect, Your Grace, you are not an Irishman and you have not been in this country before a few years ago. If we assume a drastic approach, we will be facing years of rebellion, guaranteed.”

Edmund saw the merits in both arguments. However, he had a duty to his brother the king and to his family, which took precedence over other types of concerns. “So far, the raids are only occurring along the coasts and we have not received reports on disturbances further inland. To prevent the raiders from even coming close to the shores, should we not hire boatmen to fight them?”

“Your Highness, we can call up fishermen and other merchants to hand over their boats for armed purposes, but along the southern coasts. The northern coasts will be trickier, as Ulster is too close to Scotland and as previously stated, the people will not take well to their freedom of movement being restricted,” Sir Thomas Clifford stated.

“Well, we should do something.” Edmund made up his mind. “I propose that a levy be raised, a small one to gather ships and sailors, for the purposes of protecting our coasts. All in favor?” Despite Sir Thomas’ words, all of the councilmembers raised their hands. “Very good. We should also reinforce especially the coasts of Ulster, ever since the reports came of those aligned with the Scottish MacDonald clan raiding those areas and stealing livestock. We cannot have that, not while the harvest is underway.”

“Agreed, Your Highness.” The Duke of Norfolk was a reliable partner and Edmund appreciated his presence in Ireland.

Although he planned on spending the harvest season overseeing his estates in England, Edmund had to respond to what was happening in Ireland, as that was part of his official duties as Lord Lieutenant. However, he intended on spending Christmastide with Henry, Eleanor, his nephews, and his mother at Eltham, so he was not going to stay for long in Dublin Castle.

Edmund was also anxious to return to England for another reason. Just last month, he and Madeleine were informed that they were about to be parents, for his wife’s belly had quickened. Henry, Eleanor, and his mother were overjoyed, with Henry looking forward to being an uncle while his mother wanted another grandchild. As usual, many were hoping for a boy, as that would secure the Somerset line of the Tudor family, although they did not worry about the royal line now that Eleanor gave birth to two sons. Margaret in Scotland and Mary in Denmark also sent letters of congratulations after they both received the news.

Madeleine could not come with him, as travel was deemed harmful for their baby and thus, she had to be confined at court in preparation for the birth. However, they still wrote letters to each other and both Henry and Eleanor assured him that the physicians were giving her the best care possible.

Once Edmund had completed his duties and delegated the responsibilities in Ireland to the proper figures, he would embark on the first boat out of Dublin. Norfolk would also join him, for he too did not wish to stay in Ireland longer than necessary and he had interests in England that needed his constant attention.

“How is my cousin doing up in Berwick?” Edmund asked the Duke of Norfolk. The Duke was married to his aunt Anne of York, and out of the four children she bore him before she died, only one survived, a son named Thomas, who was now called the Earl of Surrey.

“He finds the management of a castle a good education, better than the one I had provided him, Your Highness.” Part of the reason why the Duke remained in the affection of Edmund’s family was because of cousin Thomas, who was the only son of Anne of York and therefore deemed precious after she died.

“That is good to hear, Your Grace. But tell him to not get too comfortable up in the north. Myself and the king might have use for our beloved cousin soon enough.”

“Of course.” The Duke was astute enough to remain in the good graces of the Tudor family, especially after he saw what happened to all other nobles with Yorkist blood when they tried to rebel like the poor departed John de La Pole, Earl of Lincoln. As with Henry Courtenay, Earl of Devon and son of Catherine of York, the Duke’s son and heir grew up close to his Tudor cousins. However, Edmund preferred his cousin Thomas, particularly since the Earl of Devon was very prone to debauchery and heavy feasting, just like his brother and the Duke of Suffolk while Thomas was more earnest and appreciated the value of hard work. This was shown when Thomas went over the account books for Dublin Castle over a full day and recognized deficiencies in the tax collection and other streams of revenues. For that, Edmund recommended that he be appointed Governor of Berwick Castle along the Scottish border, which Henry confirmed.

As they boarded the ship back to England, Edmund could not wait to spend time close to Madeleine and his arriving child. Although everyone prayed for a boy, for there was no harm in three Tudor princes being born within a short span of time, Edmund himself did not mind, for he was going to love their child just as much as he grew to love Madeleine. All he could do now was pray and hope that no complications came during the birth.

I had the only confirmed child of the Duke of Norfolk and Anne of York live because that would probably be a good reason why the Duke would be quick to support Edmund. But oh man, the trouble in Ireland is just starting.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 14
  • Elizabeth held Edmund’s hands as they heard Madeleine’s screams outside the chamber. She did her best to reassure her son, especially since this would be his first child. Henry and Eleanor both had matters of state to attend to, with the former with the privy council and the latter with the ambassador from Portugal, but they had their best physicians attending to Madeleine.

“Please, Ned. It will be all right,” Elizabeth said after seeing her son strain against the cries of his wife.

“I try to remind myself of that. I remember when Eleanor gave birth to both Edward and Lionel, but this is my child.”

Elizabeth kissed his forehead. “Your father felt the same when we had Arthur, but all we could do was to put our trust in our God. And I am sure that if your father was still alive, he would be happy for you today.”

Elizabeth knew that for certain, even though Edmund did not know his own father that well.

Then, one of the wet nurses approached them. “Queen Elizabeth, Prince Edmund. The Duchess has delivered a boy, a healthy son.”

Elizabeth gasped happily while Edmund could not believe what he was hearing. Seeing her son was unable to move from his own happiness, Elizabeth pulled her son towards the chamber and they both saw the nurses wiping the sweat off of Madeleine’s brow while she held their baby in her arms.

“Ned,” she whispered while Edmund went forward and kissed Madeleine before looking upon their son.

“My God. He is so beautiful.”

“A blessing indeed,” Elizabeth looked upon her newest grandson. They both saw that the boy had auburn hair while they could make out blue eyes.

“What shall we name him, Ned?” Madeleine asked him.

Now that their son was born, Edmund did have a few names that would be proper for a Tudor prince. Both Henry and Edmund were safe choices, while Edward and John were good choices for those from a Lancastrian or Yorkist line. However, there were already many Henrys in England, the Prince of Wales was named Edward, and he thought to reserve Edmund for another son if he was so blessed. At the same time, he thought it would be unwise for him to use a name from one of his Welsh ancestors for his son, as the Tudors had to maintain their new English identity while slowly making others accept their Welsh roots.

“Queen Elizabeth, why did your name Ned’s brother Arthur?” Madeleine asked.

Elizabeth was brought to when she married Henry Tudor and they had grand plans for their firstborn son. “The Tudor name needed to be established and what better way to proceed cementing the Tudor dynasty than associating it with the legacy of King Arthur and his court of Camelot? That is why we chose Winchester as his birthplace.”

Madeleine nodded, for she also knew the story. “While I was going through the history of this country, I came across a great king, one that repelled the pagan barbarians and helped keep England for the English. And was Winchester not the capital of this king’s kingdom?”

Edmund recognized who she was talking about. “Alfred?”

“You said that the Tudor name had to be associated with England and what better name than that of Alfred the Great?” Madeleine posed. “I remember reading that Henry III had the same thing in mind when he named his heir before he came to the throne as Edward I.”

Edmund and Elizabeth looked at each other. Alfred was not a common name, but so was Edward before the Hammer of the Scots ascended to the English crown. And there was no harm in further legitimizing the Tudor name than with one of their princes being named after a great king.

“Then let it be so.” Edmund smiled at his son. “Alfred Tudor, future Duke of Somerset, we are so happy to see you.”

Eleanor met with the Portuguese ambassador to the English court. Her sister Catherine, the future Queen of Portugal, expressed her father-in-law’s intentions to renew the alliance between England and Portugal, which would be accomplished by a marriage between Edward and a Portuguese princess. Such a marriage would require a papal dispensation, as both the Tudors and the Portuguese royal family had the blood of John of Gaunt in their veins, but Eleanor’s sister and her Portuguese in-laws were fairly confident that the pope would sign it. Even though the war with France had ended, there was no certainty that the French would simply give up their Italian claims. Eleanor knew that the pope was not very pleased that England was distracted by the Irish campaign, but out of a wish to not antagonize England, the pope did not protest.

Eleanor had to groan. Even though the pope and other churchmen interfering with temporal politics was not a new occurrence, Eleanor did not relish having to negotiate the contradictions between her religious faith and her obligations as a secular authority onto herself.

“I bring salutations and blessings from your sister, Princess Catherine,” the Portuguese ambassador began with while speaking Spanish. “And I also bring congratulations on her behalf, for England can take comfort that they have four Tudor princes, including the Duke of Somerset, that will ensure that the same dynasty will remain on the English throne.”

“Indeed, ambassador,” Eleanor replied back in Spanish. “After thirty wars of civil war, a succession crisis is the last thing people in England want and with the birth of my nephew Prince Alfred, the threat of such strife is further away.”

The Portuguese ambassador nodded. “I have brought forward an offer from your brother-in-law and your sister, Queen Eleanor. As the Prince of Wales is still healthy and will grow into a fine man, it is important that negotiations begin for his marriage.”

Eleanor sighed. “I agree with my sister’s reasoning, my lord, but you came forward at a very awkward time for us all. We have to ensure that peace is maintained in our new holdings in Ireland and we also received approaches from especially Italian sailors asking us to fund their exploration of the New World. With the peace and new incomes from Ireland, my husband the king has his sights focused on new sources of wealth.”

“That can be part of any betrothal agreement between our two kingdoms, Queen Eleanor,” the ambassador said. “We have expanding interests in the New World and especially in the far distant lands of India. Portugal has become rich and we believe that sharing that wealth with England will go a long way to ensuring the our alliance continues.”

“Of course.” Although Eleanor knew that Henry was more likely to spend money rather than try to make more, he was not going to deny a chance to increase his wealth, as the wars he wanted to fight with France would be expensive. “But I would ask that you save your negotiations for a later date, for we are preparing to christen the future Duke of Somerset and undertaking more policies to full incorporate Ireland into England. We also are in the process of creating my two sons as the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York, respectively.”

“I understand, Queen Eleanor. However, I would recommend that you do not delay. There are many who would seek the hand of Princess Maria. There is even talk that your brother-in-law would grant her the duchy of Viseu in perpetuity along with other incomes when he becomes king, so the monetary benefits of a Portuguese marriage to an English prince is undeniable.”

Eleanor nodded, as that was one of the reasons why her in-laws also pursued the marriage with the de La Tour woman. And if she was being honest, she would like a Portuguese princess to be married to her eldest son, but it was too soon, and Henry would have the final decision despite her own personal feelings. Most importantly, it would be premature since there were probably more than a dozen eligible princesses from families also wanting to be connected to England. She was a queen, and she had to look through all available options.

Manuel I of Portugal did have one daughter by Maria of Aragon, but she was stillborn (here, she lived). Also, hoped you liked my choice of name for Edmund's first son.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 15

Leonard Grey watched as his contingent of one hundred men rounded up the people of Oranmore in the Connacht region, as he was given special permission by the Duke of Norfolk himself to begin securing the region. With the rise of rebel activity along the coasts, no doubt starting after word reached of the MacDonalds’ marauding along the Ulster coasts. He needed to set an example, as apparently the Irish people were not going to submit easily to English rule.

One of the raiders was audacious enough to try to assault the Sligo garrison. While nobody was killed, they managed to sneak off with over £200 worth of livestock and valuables. Leonard decided that this attack had to have an effective response and thus why he was in the Oranmore town.

Leonard Grey nodded to Sir James Butler, who he had selected to be his deputy. The son of Sir Piers Butler, the Butler family was currently in deep straits, all because the Ormond earls had died out without issue and were long absent from their Irish estates. The Butlers were also useful partners against Lord Kildare, particularly because of his conciliatory approach towards the Irish people. To Leonard, they were no better than savages that needed to know the new order of things and the recent attacks were proof of what he needed to know.

Getting the youngest men on their knees, he watched as Sir James Butler moved to question them all. “We have received information that this village has connections to rebels raiding our shores.” As always, they needed a Gaelic interpreter to translate for them, which made the whole process more frustrating. “We know that someone here is helping the raiders coming in from the boats. Which one of you is it?”

Once no one answered, Sir James pulled out his dagger and cut one of their throats. The villagers looked on, shocked. Again, Sir James was met with silence and again, he slit another throat.

“I can do this all day, you wretches!” Sir James wiped the blood from his dagger before nodding to one of troops to unsheathe his sword. Just as he was about to continue the butchery, one of the men stood up.

“It is me. I am the one letting the rebels know where you bastards are!” he said while speaking heavily accented English.

One of the elder men apparently tried to plead with him in Gaelic, but the other responded defiantly.

Leonard Grey chuckled before dismounting his horse, walking up to the young man, and punched him in the face, knocking him out. “We will take him to Sligo with us. The rest of you men, burn this village!”

Sir James and the one hundred English soldiers proceeded to burn the village, kill all the men, and other sorts of wanton destruction. And for Leonard, this would only be the first of many villages to be burned and set as an example.

Henry sat with pride as his two young sons were brought before him. Edward was old enough to walk, but to everyone’s surprise, Lionel was able to walk also despite being less than a year old. This was also the moment in which both of his sons would be officially invested. He chose Pembroke Castle as the site, for it was the place where his father was born.

Both of his sons were guided to both Henry and Eleanor by Edmund himself and their cousin Thomas Howard, the Earl of Surrey. He had just been recalled from his post as Governor of Berwick Castle and there were plans to marry him to Anne Brandon, the first daughter of the Duke of Suffolk and his second wife Anne Browne. It was a good match, for it would further place Henry’s friend further up the ranks of the upper aristocracy while the Duke of Norfolk supported the match since being closer to Charles Brandon meant being closer to the king himself.

As both of his sons came close to Henry, he nodded to the Lord Chamberlain, who unrolled the decrees that officially created his sons as the senior peers of the realm.

“Prince Edward Tudor, you are, by order and permission of His Majesty King Henry, today created the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, and Earl of Chester. May God bless you for all of your days.”

Edmund and Thomas guided the future King of England to kneel, which they did gently.

Henry gestured for the Lord Chamberlain to continue.

“Prince Lionel Tudor, you are, by order and permission of His Majesty King Henry, today created the Duke of York, Earl of Pembroke, and Earl of Nottingham. May God bless you for all of your days.”

“Arise, Your Highnesses,” Henry smiled with pride before gesturing for both of his sons to arise. He stood up to the assembled court. “Today, you seen my sons begin their first step towards the good of this country. Let us stand with them and ensure that England prospers, for that is what we should all do.” He looked proudly at Edmund, who was doing a good job in his current position.

With both of his sons in their proper titles and England itself still in stability, now it was time for Henry to find a way to fight France.

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 16
  • Alexander Stewart sat across his father, or his king, James IV of Scotland. The eldest of the King of Scotland’s illegitimate children, the only way for him to survive was entering the church, something that he accepted. He was not going to get a title or lands and his Boyd relatives were certainly not going to support him. And as the underage Archbishop of St. Andrews, his father would receive the revenues of St. Andrews until he became twenty-seven, which was this year. Meanwhile, Alexander himself received a good education and for that, he was grateful to his father.

Alexander, in his position as Lord Chancellor of Scotland, was directed to investigate the raids caused by Lord MacDonald from Islay. After conversing with rival lords such as Argyll and Arran, Alexander was confident that he was able to get enough evidence for his father the king to use against the MacDonald clan. The only fate that awaited those that disobeyed royal commands was those shared by traitors, death.

James read through the report compiled by his son and nodded in approval. “This is impressive work, Your Eminence. Your effort is clearly evident in this.”

“You flatter me very much, Your Grace,” Andrew said.

James then set down the report and stared Alexander straight in his eyes. “Has anyone else seen this?”

“Just my private secretary, Your Grace.”

“Good.” James then moved closer to Alexander. “Make sure that he does not say a word of this to anyone else.”

“Your Grace?” Alexander asked.

“The MacDonalds will answer for their insubordination, but only when I say so.”

“Your Grace, I do not understand.”

King James nodded in understanding. “Look, Your Eminence. It is true that Lord MacDonald is behaving in a treasonous manner by attacking the English garrisons in Ireland, but at the same time, anything that serves to hinder the English is something that the lords in Scotland will support. Do you know how I was able to ascend to the throne?”

“Because the lords supported you over my grandfather?”

King James bobbed his head. “Yes. Therefore, I cannot afford to antagonize them. At the same time, I have what I need to keep Lord MacDonald in line should he try to move against me.”

“But Your Grace, why do you not move against Lord MacDonald now? We cannot afford to fight a war with England.”

“You are absolutely right. We cannot. However, given my brother-in-law has two sons and has now tasted success in Ireland, he will want more. If he goes to war with France, we will have to honor the alliance, even though my wife is English and my children have English blood in them.”

Alexander was unsure. “Your Grace, I am not sure if that is a wise course of action. If we go to war with England, we will be facing troops and leaders that have tasted battle in Ireland. It will not be a simple fight.”

“Indeed. But I have to show that I am capable of defending my kingdom’s interests.”

Alexander nodded. “Understood, my king.”

“But still, this is very good work. Now, I want you to invite the Duke of Albany. I feel that the French inheritance from his wife might cause a problem with my other brother-in-law, the Duke of Somerset.”

Edmund threw the report into the hearth, angered at what was happening in both Ulster and Connacht. He should have known that it merely took one man to really unravel things, but that man was the younger son of the Marquess of Dorset and this made everything much more complicated.

“Lord Leonard, you bloodthirsty bastard.” Edmund rubbed his forehead in frustration. “And you call yourself a gentleman?” He then wrote a letter to Lord Kildare, directing him to get Lord Leonard under control.

Another issue that came to his attention was the marauders from the Scottish west coast. Thanks to the levy he raised, the Ulster coasts were calmer and raids decreased in frequency, but that did not solve the problem that the raiders had a place of origin. And he knew that there was only so much that he could do before they crossed into Scottish waters.

Edmund recommended that they recruited local fishermen to their cause and win them over with money and favors, which would be helpful in countering the raiders. He also proposed that England build new ships to catch the raiders before they could make back to their Scottish quarters.

As such, Edmund was busy conversing with shipwrights on how to make faster ships and they proposed various designs from Italy, Portugal, and Spain. There were also those that came from the various cities of the Hanseatic League. They were all good designs and he had to make decisions on which would serve England’s purposes the most.

He also had to meet with Sebastian Cabot, the son of John Cabot, as he proposed another exploration, something that Henry was keen on financing. However, he had more pressing matters to attend to and thus, he had to push the meeting back. Edmund wanted to explore the New World, as Spain and Portugal were ahead of England and there were obvious benefits to colonies. Sebastian Cabot had good credentials, so he was willing to outfit his ship and others at that moment.

Edmund then felt Madeleine’s arms wrap around him. “You seem worried, Ned.”

He smiled while holding her arms. “Just matters of state to attend to. On top of my duties in Ireland, Harry had to make me busier, now that he has put me in charge of the fleet.”

Edmund was surprised when Henry made him Lord High Admiral. Although he found the duties of the navy very fulfilling, it made him all the more overwhelmed by how much work he was made to do.

“Would you like to unload some of them on me?” Madeleine was eager to help him.

Edmund then sat her down and gave her papers. “Now, this first one talks about the design submitted by this master from Venice. And this other from comes from Sweden.”

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 17
  • Henry watched as Sebastian Cabot outlined his proposal for further exploration and a future settlement of the New World under English control, similar to what the Spanish and the Portuguese were doing.

“Now, King Henry, we cannot venture into this southern continent, for that will spark conflict with both Spain and Portugal,” Sebastian Cabot outlined with his hands on the map. “Even though there is proven to be gold in that continent, we will be remiss in denying the chance to explore the untapped riches of this northern continent. There are vast supplies of fish along the coast, and I believe that we can find various deposits of precious materials further inland. Savages have been sighted along the coasts, but nothing like what Master Cortes reported when he encountered a barbarian city of tens of thousands of people.”

Henry did want England to establish their presence in the New World, as a “New England” would do much to increase England’s prestige within Europe itself. However, the treaty negotiated between Spain and Portugal that divided the New World had the endorsement of the pope and there was no way that Henry wanted to antagonize both of them, not while especially the Portuguese were interested in marrying one of their princesses to his son.

That was why Henry had the Archbishop of Canterbury send a letter to Rome, in which the pope would not interfere in any future English venture into the New World. The reply back from the pope was essentially that the Rome would do their best to persuade the Spanish and Portuguese to not protest, but only after England promised to support the papacy in any future war that would come to Italy. Henry agreed, as both he and the pope understood that the French were not about to abandon their Italian claims yet.

“If I was to consent to your proposal, Master Cabot, what would you expect from me?”

“Funds and supplies for an expedition of at least three years, enough to map the coastlines and explore further inland along the coasts. I would need at least four hundred men and six ship, all of them armed and ready to fight many bands of savages and interlopers from either Spain, Portugal, or even France.”

Henry nodded. “Anything else?”

“Should I find suitable places for a permanent settlement, I humbly request Your Majesty to fund and support the first band of settlers into this New World.

“I see. Do you see us being able to replicate the same success as Master Cortes was able to obtain against the savages with gold?”

“Our returns might not be as immediate, but England being able to claim new land will be just as valuable as gold. More land equals more farms, more grain, more places to raise livestock, and more places to build towns. Over time, the value of said land will increase to what is there in England.”

Henry rubbed his chin. “Allow me some time to consider your proposal, Master Cabot. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy the pleasures and comfort of the royal apartments.”

As Sebastian Cabot was dismissed, Henry then had his cousin Thomas brought in. As the son and heir of the Duke of Norfolk and his aunt Anne, he had heard nothing but good things from his time as governor of Berwick Castle.

“Lord Surrey, welcome.”

“Your Grace.” Thomas dipped his head. “You have sent for me?”

“Indeed. Percy has said good things about your time in Berwick and I believe such skills will be put to good use when I appoint you Constable of Portchester Castle.”

Thomas was surprised. That fortress was a key location for the fleet, as every English army including the one led by Henry V left that port before moving towards their destination. The post also came with a sizable income. “I am honored, Your Grace. But I am not sure what I did to deserve such a position.”

“You will be working with my brother Somerset. Rome, as are my queen’s relatives in the empire and Spain, feel that a war with France will come soon. We will need to develop the ships and a port needed to transport our army there. It is not a matter of if, but when regarding war with France.”

Thomas Howard nodded solemnly. “As you wish, Your Grace.”

“It is not ‘Your Grace’ no longer. As the entirety of Ireland is under my control, it is only proper that I and my immediate family be given more proper titles. You will address me as ‘Your Majesty’ and my brother Somerset shall continue to be called ‘Highness.’”

“Forgive me… Your Majesty.”

Henry squeezed his shoulder. “Worry not, cousin. You did not know, for the decree has not been signed as of yet. But I trust you to work closely with Somerset as he is Lord High Admiral as well as Lieutenant of Ireland.”

Thomas Howard smiled, for Henry knew that Lord Surrey liked Somerset very much.

“And how is your betrothal to Anne Brandon?”

Thomas shrugged. “Your Majesty, I know that it is a good match, for Lord Suffolk is offering good terms regarding Lady Anne’s dowry. But I have doubts, for Lady Anne does not from a distinguished line.” Henry sighed heavily, causing Thomas to change his words quickly. “I meant no offense, Your Majesty. I was merely saying the words that my father said on the ‘new men’ of court.”

Henry bobbed his head. Norfolk, like Buckingham, were just two men dissatisfied with the amount of commoners at court. But for Thomas’ sake, Henry did not blame him for having those thoughts. “Tell your father to be careful, or more if he already is. The marriage already has my blessing, so I hope you are prepared for it. And who knows, cousin? Like with Princess Madeleine and Queen Eleanor, you might grow to have affections for Lady Anne.”

“I shall trust you on that, Your Majesty.”

Henry smiled. “Now, go. You have much work to do.”

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 18
  • Lord Kildare, along with Thomas Luttrell, journeyed on horseback along with a retinue of FitzGerald men, to Roscommon Castle. As the center of the English administration of the Connacht region, the ruling council was led by Lord Worcester. Lord Kildare found Lord Worcester reasonable enough, considering that he was an old man and illegitimately descended from the Beaufort dukes of Somerset. He was still Lord Chamberlain for the king, but considering that the king granted his Worcester cousin many estates and lands in all provinces of Ireland, it made sense that Lord Worcester would look after his Irish interests while at Roscommon.

Lord Kildare and Thomas Luttrell were directed by Prince Edmund himself to reprimand Lord Leonard Grey, particularly after his acts of violence against the people of Connacht were causing a major rebellion to be very likely. Although he could have sent his half-brother Sir James of Leixlip in his stead, Lord Kildare distrusted him since he was bound to botch the negotiations. Considering that his family was the only branch of the FitzGeralds left after the attainder of the Earl of Desmond and that his father was only able to survive the Tudor ascendancy due to being indispensable to Irish administration despite backing Lambert Simnel, Lord Kildare could not afford to make any mistakes, particularly since the king had various garrisons under his direct command through Ireland.

At the same time, he had always warned both Prince Edmund and the king that they needed to be diplomatic about their rule in Ireland and had even advised against sending troops to sweep through Ireland. However, finding both the Tudor brothers consumed by avarice as well as the aristocracy in England itself, Lord Kildare could do nothing as English troops conquered the whole of Ireland in only a few years and thus compromising the local authority that the previous Earls of Kildare had enjoyed. At the same time, Lord Kildare had to play this out carefully, for while King Henry was generous, he could also be just as ruthless and could find an excuse to destroy the Kildare FitzGeralds if he wanted to.

That was why Lord Kildare and Thomas Luttrell were at Roscommon, for if they were able to control a rebellion and blame it all on Lord Leonard, King Henry might return some local authority back to Lord Kildare, all of which were held by Dublin Castle. Better yet, he might tolerate the FitzGeralds having their own livery.

Entering Roscommon Castle’s yard, they were greeted by Lord Worcester himself.

“My lord Kildare and Master Luttrell, welcome. I trust the journey from Dublin has not been too strenuous for you both.”

“Not at all, my lord,” Lord Kildare replied. “Will Lord Leonard be joining us?”

“He is currently attending to matters at Sligo, but I have received permission to act on his behalf during the proceedings.”

Lord Kildare silently groaned, for he needed to see Lord Leonard himself and Lord Worcester clearly could not keep him in line. At the same time, there was nothing that he could do at the moment regarding Lord Leonard’s absence. “Very well, my lord. Shall we move to the great hall?”

Lord Worcester was a great host and both Lord Kildare and Thomas Luttrell were wined and dined. The reason why Thomas Luttrell was brought along was due to his command of Gaelic, which was rare among Englishmen, particularly from one whose family came over from Lincolnshire. Considering that Gaelic was spoken throughout Connacht, Thomas Luttrell would be useful.

“I have read your letters and your orders from the Duke of Somerset. I too share your concerns regarding Lord Leonard.”

“Then why have you not taken action against him?” Lord Kildare asked.

“Well, there are two complications. One, his brother is the Marquess of Dorset and has a close connection with the king himself. Two, while I might be in charge of regular administration, Lord Leonard is a soldier and has full authority over the garrisons in this region. There is only so much that I can do to limit his violent tendencies, which is not very much admittedly.”

Lord Kildare knew about the close links between the Grey family and the Tudor dynasty, as the current generation were both descended from Elizabeth Woodville, and he could understand how that could complicate matters. But most importantly, he saw that the king respected strength and martial ability more than diplomacy, leaving the latter to more interested men, and he therefore could not move on Lord Leonard without ultimately moving on the king himself.

“What are your suggestions, Lord Worcester?” Thomas Luttrell was not exactly enlightened regarding his attitudes towards the Irish people, a view that was unfortunately common among the Englishmen who enjoyed positions of power in Ireland, but he also grumbled at having his family’s traditional local authority be limited by more direct rule from England and that was something that Lord Kildare wished to use.

“I suggest that we allow Lord Leonard to continue his rampage through Connacht. The more anger he causes among the locals, the more likely an uprising will happen and therefore, the blame will fall on his shoulders.”

Lord Kildare nodded in approval, for Lord Worcester was to play the long game. “But my lord,” a thought came to him. “If an uprising occurs, what will prevent the king from placing the blame on us also?”

Lord Worcester rubbed his chin, for Lord Kildare did bring up a good point. “I imagine that by the time an uprising occurs, Lord Leonard will have caused too much damage by his own hands that his mark on the region will be felt by many. And also, we can all claim that Lord Leonard was the sole villain in any unrest and that we all tried to control him, to no avail.”

“I have to ask, my lord. Why are you helping us?” Thomas Luttrell inquired.

Lord Worcester sighed. “I am looking after my family and Lord Leonard’s estates are very tempting.”

Lord Kildare had to expect that Lord Worcester would act out of selfish reasons, but he was not going to reject his help in taking down Lord Leonard.

Edmund oversaw the construction of the newest ship to be added to the fleet. Named “the Princess Madeleine” after his wife, it was to weigh over 1600 tons, have two decks, and armed with bronze cannon. Henry had taken an interest in the fleet since coming to the throne and under his watch, the fleet had grown to over 25 ships. Henry then had Edmund oversee the construction of ten more, all of which to be launched in sight of Portchester Castle, where his cousin Thomas was the constable.

Edmund was also enthusiastic about measures to enlarge the navy. England could never match the armies just across the channel because despite the ability of previous commanders such as the Black Prince of Wales, his ancestor John of Gaunt, the Duke of Bedford, and the fallen Lord Shrewsbury at Castillon, kingdoms like France simply had more men to call upon and it was because of that fact did England finally lose Aquitaine permanently. However, England was also an island and thus, they could compensate for their lack of soldiers for having a sizable fleet and well-trained sailors. Edmund also felt very fulfilled in his new post as Lord High Admiral, more so than as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland despite that post paying him more in terms of income.

But while Edmund was overseeing the construction of the newest ship, he had to meet with Sebastian Cabot. Apparently, Henry had consented to a further exploration of the new northern continent in the New World and he thus decided to grant Master Cabot a command in the fleet in order to prove his credentials on the high seas. He also had to meet with three seafarers that came with good recommendations, their names being William FitzWilliam, John Russell, and a Breton by the name of Jacques Cartier.

William FitzWilliam was someone that Edmund was familiar with, as he was mostly engaged in dealing with pirate activity in the Channel. John Russell came from Dorset and his father was a prominent shipper and came a line of wine merchants. As for the Breton, he hailed from St. Malos, a center of Breton shipping activity and he had the sponsorship of the Duke of Brittany.

“I must offer my congratulations, Master Cabot. Having the responsibility of exploring the New World and being responsible for the establishment of a colony comes with many privileges.”

“You honor me, Your Highness,” Master Cabot answered. “I shall do my best to ensure that England obtains primacy in the northern continent, ahead of the Spanish, Portuguese, or French.”

“You do that.” He then turned to Jacques Cartier. “Master Cartier,” he began in Breton. “I am very thrilled at the prospect of having someone of your background to be with us today. Your expertise will be valuable.”

“Thank you, Your Highness. I am sure that expansion of the fleet will be very useful in ensuring the strong bonds between the English and Breton peoples.”

Edmund then turned to both FitzWilliam and Russell and switched back to English. “If we are to proceed with a general conflict with France, we all know that we have to secure control of the channel before we can land an army. From my studies, we would need at least forty vessels capable of sustained combat plus many more merchanters to transport the troops.”

“Well, Prince Edmund, I would not count so much on French ability on the seas. They might be able to call up a large army, but that comes at the expense of being able to supply a fleet,” FitzWilliam assessed.

“We would also have to select which ports to strike, so as to both secure landing places for our troops and also preclude the French from attacking our ships,” Russell added. “That means being better armed, better experienced, and being able to last longer in a war.”

“And how you would know this?” Edmund asked.

“I do my own studies, Your Highness. And the French lack good experience on the seas, while their army has not met a fair match as shown in Italy.”

Edmund nodded. “It is a matter of balancing out the various factors. We could win on the seas, but we might suffer losses on land. What would you suggest?”

“If I were to suggest anything, Prince Edmund, I would suggest that we do not neglect our armies. We have to have good guns, good soldiers, and good leaders.”

“If I may, Prince Edmund, what does Her Highness the Duchess of Somerset think about a coming war with France?” FitzWilliam asked.

Edmund exhaled. “Well, Master William, she has taken to the ways of England very well, although she understandably still has sentiments to France. And she is also worried that her lands will be seized if we are to go to war with France.”

“And that will be to your detriment, will it not, Prince Edmund?”

Edmund might have been supportive of a war with France, but he was also fearful that his wife’s inheritance would be taken away since she will be treated as a member of the enemy. More importantly, he was afraid of how others would treat her at court, since she was still not treated with warmth due to her French origins. Despite her having two earldoms and giving England another heir, Edmund was rightly worried of how she will be treated if England goes to war with France.

“I just hope that we get what we want of France as quickly as possible, and that all scores will be settled.” On another note, his thoughts turned to Scotland, especially his brother-in-law the Duke of Albany. Should a war happen with France, Scotland would inevitably be involved and that made him all the more anxious, especially since the Duke of Albany would be very eager to take from his sister-in-law’s inheritance if the king of France offered it to him.

Also in this thread, there is an independent Brittany under the English orbit (thus explaining why Jacques Cartier is there). I will reveal how so next

Tudor Rose over Britannia Chapter 19
  • James FitzGerald surveyed the vessels that were being docked along the yards of Rouen. While the king of France was trying to promote Le Havre as a new port and Cherbourg was closer to England, Rouen remained the center of the French fleet in the channel. He walked alongside Cormac MacDermot and the last Yorkist heir to the English throne, Richard de La Pole.

Richard de La Pole had made himself very busy while in exile in France. The king of France granted him lands and a command in the army, where he served in Italy against the Pope while Henry Tudor was occupied in Ireland. He must have done well, for he was inducted into the Order of Saint Michael, the French equivalent of the Order of the Garter, and there was even talk among court that King Francis was going to appoint Richard de La Pole as the Constable of France. But for all of his talents and his activeness, he was still not married and had only an illegitimate daughter by his French mistress. That would not sit well should he manage to retake England, and in his age, he was not likely to father a healthy son and live long enough to ensure that he would develop into an able heir.

Nevertheless, James knew that Richard de La Pole was his only chance of gaining his lands back. He should have considered his family fortunate after his father supported Perkin Warbeck and was received back into the favor of Henry VII, but then the son had to decide to assert full control over the entirety of Ireland and thus overturning what has benefited his family for centuries. That was the reason why he resisted Prince Edmund Tudor when he led his troops against his castle, for to submit to the authority of the king of England without conditions was to surrender everything that made his family prominent. He did not have the connections that his distant relative Lord Kildare have nor did he have the English estates that the Butlers possess. Without having his local authority, the Desmond FitzGeralds would not last in the long term.

While Richard de La Pole was busy recruiting mercenaries to his cause, both James and Cormac were given French estates and receiving minor French titles, with James becoming a vicomte and Cormac a count. They also received minor commands in the French army and the French court decided that in the event that a war would occur with England, Richard de La Pole would arrive in England at the head of a mercenary army supplemented by French troops and whatever rebels they could recruit. James and Cormac would serve as his commanders, mainly due to their connections to the Irish people from their affected areas.

“How many mercenaries were you able to recruit, sire?” James asked in French while giving the respect that Richard demanded. Despite Cormac MacDermot not speaking English, he was able to use the time he spent at court to become good at French, a language that James himself had to become good at speaking also if he wanted to get his points across to the French king and courtiers without interpreters.

“Fifteen thousand, Lord James. All of them are German and their official purpose being the defense of Normandy.”

“So, King Richard, when are we going to England?” Cormac might have become good at French, but he did not learn the niceties of court life.

Richard, on the other hand, appreciated Cormac’s plain speaking. “Rest assured, Prince Cormac. You will be back in your lands soon. The war will occur by the end of next year.”

“I do not know if it means anything to you, King Richard, but I hate being in France. I hate their food, I hate how long they take to get to the point, and I hate everything else,” Cormac continued while he ignored the fact that there were French sailors who could hear him.

Richard groaned. He might have appreciated plain speech, but Cormac was much too impatient, and King Francis did not appreciate Cormac’s emphasizing his royal heritage whenever he wanted. “Well, if it was not for the French king, you would be in the Tower of London. Be thankful that the French even bothered to take you in after the Tudor king forced you from your homes.”

James had to step in. “I share Prince Cormac’s wish to return home, for I have lands to return to. However, we are merely anxious, for we have been here for over two years and we would like a solution to our quandaries.”

Richard nodded. “Well, Lord James, you will not have to wait long. I can assure you of that. King Francis has financed the mercenaries that I brought out and has promised to support my claim to the throne with ten thousand men and a fleet, a fleet that you see before you here. Before King Henry could even contemplate invading France, he has to fend off me and my troops. At the same time, I am confident that based on the activities of my agents in Ireland and in England, there will be a sizable amount of those who will come to my aid. Soon, I will be seated on the throne of England and the both of you will be rewarded handsomely.”

James wished that it was as simple as Richard was thinking, but he had no other recourse left. He could either choose to remain in France as an exile and live out the rest of his days as a French pensioner with a minor title, or he could choose to fight and reclaim his ancestral lands. He was not going to give up and therefore, he had to fight in order to reclaim what was his.

“Ah, my lord Albany.” Both James and Cormac turned around saw a Scottish gentleman approached them, and both of them recognized the most powerful peer in Scotland, who was currently in France with the sister of the Duchess of Somerset. What intrigued James was what the Duke of Albany was doing here. “How was Scotland?”

“Nothing changed, King Richard, and that is what making everyone impatient. Even though Lord Montrose and Lord Argyll are acting against Lord MacDonald, many others such as Lord Maxwell, Lord Arran, and Lord Lennox want a war with England and they will pressure King James to restart the Auld Alliance. I am sure that the Scottish lords will ensure that they will invade northern England, which will give you the diversion you need to land in England.”

Richard shook hands with Lord Albany. “And what of your sister-in-law, Lady Madeleine?”

“King Francis has assured me that the war will go in France’s favor, after which he can seize my sister-in-law’s properties and give to my wife, which will then go to me.”

James found the Duke of Albany a slippery character, but at the moment, he was acting in a manner that will support James himself and therefore, he was willing to support any man that will allow him to return home.

The Duke of Buckingham was admittedly nervous when he was summoned to court. He might not have thought much about the Tudor line, as they came from a bastard line of John of Gaunt, but he was wise as to take the Duke of Norfolk’s advice and keep his mouth shut, particularly since the Tudor dynasty had a Prince of Wales, a Duke of York, and an heir to the Somerset dukedom. Even Lord Abergavenny was no longer going to entertain any thought regarding the throne since the circumstances made it too dangerous. That was the reason why the duke took his leave from court and returned to Brittany, leaving his eldest son Henry, the Earl of Stafford, in charge of his English estates.

For the past few years, the duke spent time with his youngest son John, the Duke of Brittany. As a ward to Henry VII’s mother, he grew up in the Tudor court from birth and was even contracted to marry Anne of Brittany. Despite Lord Northumberland offer £4000 for Buckingham to marry his daughter, circumstances in Brittany during the war made the Breton match very attractive. After the archers led by Sir Edward Woodville and other troops commanded by Jasper Tudor were able to stall the French long enough for King Charles VIII to face enormous pressure from Emperor Maximilian and he became increasingly distracted by his Italian claims, King Henry VII was able to secure a betrothal between the young Duke of Buckingham and Anne of Brittany, upon which her father Francis paid for with the equivalent of £7000. Duke Francis died eight years later, just long enough for his daughter to give birth to Henry and the pact between England and Brittany to be solidified.

The duke’s time in Brittany and his wife made him develop antipathies against the French, which was why he was not warm to the Duchess of Somerset. That was one of the few things that others in court shared with him, even though they held Prince Edmund in high regard. So, he was nervous when King Henry summoned him to Hampton Court, along with his son the Earl of Stafford. After hugging his son, the duke appeared before the king and his new Lord Chancellor, a butcher’s boy from Ipswich named Thomas Wolsey.

“Your Majesty,” the duke and his son Henry bowed before the king.

“My lords. Thank you for coming here. I am sure that you are aware of the preparations against France.” Henry straight to the point.

It was practically an open secret, particularly since his son John told the duke that Prince Edmund was recruiting Breton sailors into the English fleet, including one by the name of Jacques Cartier.

“I am aware that a war with France is coming soon. My son’s agents at the French court have informed him that King Francis will provide troops to Richard de La Pole and that the Scottish Duke of Albany has been meeting constantly with King Francis, meaning that France and Scotland are also preparing for war,” the duke answered.

“Indeed. How many troops can England rely upon from the Bretons?”

“My son John said that at any moment, ten thousand men could be raised, including five hundred horse.”

“Very good.” Meanwhile, Thomas Wolsey was writing down everything that was being said. “I can rely upon Brittany’s support when the war happens?”

“You can, Your Majesty.” The duke had to put away thoughts of the throne and therefore, he had to prove himself however he can.

King Henry nodded. “While I will send an army to advance from Calais and land in other parts of northern France, I will send an army also to Brittany to support you. They will be led by the Marquess of Dorset and the Duke of Suffolk, while all activities on the seas will be overseen by my brother Prince Edmund.”

The duke got along with Lord Dorset well enough, for they both had Woodville blood in them. However, he did not think very much about the king’s favorite, who was now married to Lady Lisle.

“How many troops will both Lord Dorset and Lord Suffolk bring with them?”

“At this moment, fifteen thousand men, including two thousand horse.”

The duke then had to ask. “If I may, Your Majesty, what is the opinion of the Duchess of Somerset regarding the war? We might have to take measures in case she has contrary thoughts.”

Henry blinked. “What is that supposed to mean? Do you mean to suggest that my sister-in-law will have treasonous thoughts?”

“With respect, Your Majesty, she is a Frenchwoman. She has much to lose if England goes to war with France, including her estates.”

Henry tapped his finger on the table before standing up. “The Duchess of Somerset is a loyal woman and wife to my brother. I also am aware that the Duke of Albany is trying take her inheritance when war breaks out, which makes this more urgent to me personally. Should the Duke of Albany die without legitimate children, all of the lands belonging Princess Madeleine’s sister will go to her and then back to my brother’s wife. So, you see, I have more than my fair share of personal reasons to go to war with France, which were mainly started due to Albany’s provocation at my brother’s wedding celebration.”

The duke was aware of Albany gifting the Highlander claymore to Prince Edmund. “Your Majesty, I did not mean—”

“And also, if I were to condemn the Duchess of Somerset due to her origins, I would also condemn my nephew, the future Duke of Somerset.”

The duke never thought about that, for his French antipathies made him not consider what would happen. At this moment, he could not do anything to antagonize the king. “I humbly apologize, Your Majesty.”

With the war coming, there was a chance for him to gain merit and to become a top man in the kingdom, which would have happened had Richard III not kill his father.

Things are picking up. Also, the betrothal between the Duke of Buckingham and Anne of Brittany was a real thing and I changed up various factors for it to work. Hope it make sense.

Last edited: