The Thrice Crowned King - A Trastámara TL

Chapter One - Birth
Part One: Infante

Chapter 1 - Birth 1485

“The birth of a son would have caused los reyes greater happiness, for a succession depending on an only son inspired no small fear, and the fecundity of their daughters boded difficulties for future relationships.” Palencia in 1485

Alacá de Henares – Madrid – 16th December of 1485

The winter of that year had been both cold and rainy. The damp chill settled in the bones of those living inside the thick stone walls of the palace of the archbishop in the very heart of Castile. To Isabel I of Castile this place provided both opportunities to govern her kingdom and to have her last child. The year had been long and exhausting for both her and her Aragonese husband; their campaigns against the emirate of Granada had been extensive and a outburst of plague had driven them away from Seville in that very spring. Pregnant or not, Isabel was not about to abandon the holy Reconquista that was about to enter into it’s third year at this time. The summer had been a mix, a defeat in the valley of Velillas, but the engineers had provided artillery and gunpower for the fortress of Ronda to fall and another ninety moorish castles and settlements had fallen in the royal hands. The warring had ended with celebrations in Jaen and would resume in the spring. The royal family had made their way into the plains of La Mancha to the fortified castle of Alacá de Henares where Isabel was due to give birth.

1280px-Botticelli,_annunciazione_del_Metropolitan.jpg

The Annunciation by Sandro Botticelli, painted in 1485

By 1485 the monarchs of Spain had four children, Isabella, Juan, Juana and Maria and they desired a second son to secure the succession. Juan was their only son and his frail health gave cause to worry for the fertility of their daughters. Infanta Isabella had been promised to the neighbouring kingdom of Portugal since 1479 according to the Treaty of Alcáçovas. None of the other infantas had matches and neither had the prince, even if matches had been contemplated. Warfare had occupied Castile for the past years and the marriages of the children, other then Isabella had been put on the backburner.

Queen Isabel began her labour before dawn on the 16th. The queen remained as courageous in childbirth as ever. Her ladies remarked to chroniclers that “did they ever see her complain, and that, rather, she suffered them with marvellous fortitude.”

Isabel’s stalwart determination was greatly rewarded during that morning, as she was safely delivered of a son to her and Ferdinand’s great joy. A strong and healthy boy was precisely what the catholic monarchs had desired and his birth was greeted with immense joy in the court, as bells rang out along the plains of La Mancha to the rising winter sun of Castile.

Author's Note: So evidently I have lost my mind completely and written the beginning of a new TL. So here is the first chapter of my Trastamara TL where the premise of it is that Catherine of Aragon is born an infante and then we go from there. Suggestions or other ideas are warmly welcome! This chapter is dedicated to @isabella for helping me brainstorm for so long!

Last edited:
LOVED the chapter!

First Idea: Since Philip won't be in castile fighting Ferdinand II he gets to live a long life ruling burgundy and the Empire, plus he's a better husband to juana.

LOVED the chapter!

First Idea: Since Philip won't be in castile fighting Ferdinand II he gets to live a long life ruling burgundy and the Empire, plus he's a better husband to juana.
Thank you! Philip is definitly gonna live longer if he never gets to Castile.

Hopefully alt katherine has a glorious reign! Maybe he can marry one Henrietta Tudor whom he later divorces and abandons?

Love the idea of a male!Catherine becoming King of Spain, an amazing story!

Gotta say, I love the idea of an English bride for him. He’ll be coming of age around the time of Juan’s death (assuming he still dies on schedule IOTL), so he’ll be able to get a prestigious bride, being upgraded from the spare to the heir.

Depending on how things go in France, perhaps a daughter of Charles VIII and Anne? Unsure what you got planned there, but such a marriage could help seal any Italian Wars treaty, even if we know it’ll be shortly broken.

Margaret might also be seen as a potential bride for him, despite the age gap. Would be one way to emulate the issues Henry VIII faced if he weds his brother’s widow. If you go that route, perhaps have Juan die sooner and the marriage not be consummated: though even if it is, a dispensation can fix anything!

Interesting! With Catalina being born a boy, Arthur needs a new wife. Perhaps they try for Maria of Aragon instead? Though that may require Isabella not dying. Alternatively, they might go for Sidonie or Sibylle of Bavaria for the Lancastrian blood. Maybe even Margaret of Austria? Although she is a bit old for him. Not much worse than Cat to Henry’s age difference though, so it’s possible. She’d deffo work diplomatically, and she also comes with Lancaster blood. Elizabeth of Denmark is also an outside bet if they want a North Sea alliance. If Arthur dies as otl, Henry almost certainly ends up with Eleanor of Austria. If she’s somehow not around, then I could see Sibylle or Sabina (maybe even Sidonie) of Bavaria or Marguerite of Angouleme (though she might be seen as a low catch around the time she could marry Henry, since Francis is not sure to be king). Another French match could be Germaine of Foix if Charles VIII still smacks his head on the door frame. If Louis and Anne are more succesful kidswise, Claude of France is also an option for Henry. Again, Elizabeth of Denmark could also sorta work. Although, given that our author is Swedish, I somehow don’t see a Danish match happening here ;)

For male Cat (Ferdinand?) I can deffo see Germaine of Foix working as a bride if Charles VIII smacks his head. That’ll also give the Spanish a claim to Milan. Maybe Anne of Navarre works as well? Other fun options could be Elizabeth or Mary Tudor. If Juan still dies, then, as has been mentioned, a reverse situation of otl could happen and Ferdinand jr. marries Margaret of Austria

Last edited:
Sidonie of Bavaria? An Italian heiress?
Sidonie could work as an imperial proxy. Not sure what an Italian heiress would be for.
Love the idea of a male!Catherine becoming King of Spain, an amazing story!

Gotta say, I love the idea of an English bride for him. He’ll be coming of age around the time of Juan’s death (assuming he still dies on schedule IOTL), so he’ll be able to get a prestigious bride, being upgraded from the spare to the heir.

Depending on how things go in France, perhaps a daughter of Charles VIII and Anne? Unsure what you got planned there, but such a marriage could help seal any Italian Wars treaty, even if we know it’ll be shortly broken.

Margaret might also be seen as a potential bride for him, despite the age gap. Would be one way to emulate the issues Henry VIII faced if he weds his brother’s widow. If you go that route, perhaps have Juan die sooner and the marriage not be consummated: though even if it is, a dispensation can fix anything!
An english marriage could work for him as well and Margaret of Austria could work as well.
For male Cat (Ferdinand?) I can deffo see Germaine of Foix working as a bride if Charles VIII smacks his head. That’ll also give the Spanish a claim to Milan.
Germaine is a good option as a french proxy, but I don't think the spanish would be interested in Milan, that would remain with the emperor's sphere. But a daughter of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany could be exellent.

I'm open to ideas for brides for our little Infante!
Margaret of Austria is possible if she doesn’t become pregnant like otl. Otherwise an English match with Margaret Tudor (or alt daughter of Henry VII is possible). Maybe a Navarrese Princess as well to unite the Kingdoms?