The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

I really love Mary in this. Being a loyal and loving wife to Richard, a cunning player in politics and making the best for her own daughters. And Maisie is soooo precious and strong in her own right. King Edward and Queen Blanche has a really good ring to it!
Yes, although Mary loves Maisie and Blanche, she has to think of her children as well, since they'll be considered rivals if Blanche were to succeed as Queen Regnant rather than Ned's Queen Consort.

Oui oui though I don't think I'll be able to make use of the Tudor rose since their children will be from the York dynasty, instead of a removed new house that needs a new emblem.
A reverse Tudor Rose would be sensible - Call it the Plantagenet rose and let Edward hold a grand speech on how there no longer is York and Lancaster but only the Plantagenets

In my honest opinion, it was for the greater good though. And she did it to protect her husband and children. So I am morally excusing her (is that a phrase?) in my head.
Hell hath no fury like a queen protecting her family and children's interest in the face of interlopers.

Wonderful as always. It's a shame that poor Edward of Westminster had to go so young but I am loving the idea of Blanche marrying Edward of Eltham and finally bringing peace to England. Hopefully it will stick...

I have a feeling George is going to do something to mess things up. Maybe kidnap Maisie and Blanche or start his own rebellion, saying Edward is illegitimate and locking Isabella in a convent to marry Maisie.

I have a feeling George is going to do something to mess things up. Maybe kidnap Maisie and Blanche or start his own rebellion, saying Edward is illegitimate and locking Isabella in a convent to marry Maisie.
Something like that seems right up his alley. I have a bad feeling Isabel is not not long for this world either.

December 1474.
December 1474. Castelo de São Jorge, Portugal.

Diogo held her arm in his as they walked inside the great hall, the sound of music and the hushed conversations of all the nobles present filling her ears almost immediately. Beatriz took a deep breath as they stopped right in the entrance, the herald announcing their arrival, “Infante Diogo e Infanta Beatriz, Duque e Duquesa de Viseu e Beja.”

Some low-ranking nobles stopped what they were doing and made bows, opening the way for them to pass on their way to the thrones, where they would greet the King. Beatriz held tightly to her son’s arm, feeling the eyes of everyone around her.

She and her family had not been back at court since her eldest daughter died in 1472, breaking the bonds of marriage and kinship between her and her deceased’s husband’s brother’s family. At first, her grief had been too great to do anything but lay in bed, thinking of Leonor and what could have been if she had lived. And then, when her grief finally abated and she was herself again, she preferred to stay back, mindful of the new Princess of Portugal’s presence. Certainly, Dona Ana would much rather enjoy her married life without the memories of her predecessor hanging around her.

But then, her brother-in-law, King Afonso, had specifically invited her and Diogo to court for the Christmas celebrations and they couldn’t exactly refuse a king’s invitation. She would have to put her grief and her dutiful loyalty aside to serve her monarch to the best of her capabilities.

Afonso was smiling broadly when Beatriz and Diogo stopped before him, making deep bows. “Sister!” he exclaimed, coming down from his throne to embrace her tightly. Beatriz chuckled and hugged him back, tapping against his velvet-covered shoulder. When he stepped back, he turned to her son and embraced him as well. “Dear nephew.”

“Tio,” Diogo said, dipping his head in a submissive gesture, “I can’t explain how happy your invitation has made me.”

Afonso nodded, still grinning. “Of course,” he said. “It has been far too long and our land is far too small for us to spend years without seeing our relatives.” He waved at the feast, the people dancing and eating together as they laughed. “Come, let us eat together. There is something I wish to speak to both of you.”

Beatriz and Diogo exchanged a single glance before they nodded and moved to follow the King to his high table. They sat next to him, with Diogo standing between her and her brother-in-law on his left side. It was at this moment that she noticed that the Prince was not present and her eyes found him in the back of the room, observing everything with a serious gaze.

Beatriz observed João de Avis with a careful tone. The crown prince unnerved her sometimes. He was the King’s only son, at least one that lived, and was set to inherit all of the Portuguese possessions throughout the known world.

Despite this, he was, much unlike his father, a fierce enemy of intrigue and revelry. Perhaps, it had been brought by the years he spent in Africa helping his father conquer lands from the infidel ruler of Morocco, but even if it hadn’t, there were those who feared the day when João became king. The Prince was not one known to be susceptible to others’ influence.

Beatriz sighed and moved her eyes away from her nephew and former son-in-law. Afonso was sipping from a goblet of wine, starting to speak in a hushed tone, “I have heard word that the Yorkist King of England has won against the House of Lancaster, who are our relatives.”

“At long last, the war has ended,” said Beatriz. Afonso merely looked at her. “Peace is costly, but necessary.”

“I agree wholeheartedly,” said Afonso, “And due to our newfound kinship with the French, we have alienated the English who were our most dear friends for centuries and it’s my wish to remedy that.”

Diogo nodded. “What can I do to help you with your endeavours,Tio?” he asked.

“I have a mind to marry a Portuguese infanta to Ricardo, Duque de Iorque,” he started. “Were my Joana ten years younger, I very well could send her, but alas, I can’t.” Beatriz took a deep shuddering breath, already knowing where this was going. “And so it’s my desire to have your sister and daughter, Infanta Beatriz, who is only some months younger than the young duke, marry Ricardo and bring peace.”

“Oh, Your Grace,” said Diogo, hesitant. “My little sister is the joy of Viseu. It would grieve me much to see her gone to such a distant land.”

“My dear nephew,” Afonso started, “This is my will. Worry not, for your sister will be well-taken care of by the English and I will pay her dowry myself as if she were the daughter of a ruling king.”

“But Bia is so young,” said Diogo, insistent. “May we wait some years before we are certain of the match?”

Before Afonso could say anything, Beatriz placed a hand on her son’s arm, drawing his attention to her and away from his uncle, who was growing ever more frustrated with his refusals. “We accept, brother,” said the Duchess. “It will be a pleasure to see my daughter entrusted with the task of bringing peace and renewing the bonds of friendship between England and Portugal.”

“But, mother, Bia is…” Diogo started, quickly stopping when she levelled him a single glare full of meaning. His jaw tensed and he stood up, leaving the hall and the feast with hushed footsteps. When he was gone, Beatriz turned to Afonso.

“His Grace must not worry,” she said. “My daughter will marry the Duke of York.” Her brother-in-law smiled and nodded, bringing a cup of wine to his lips. Dark purple drops slid down the corners of his mouth, staining his doublet, but he didn’t seem to care.

“I have other news from our neighbours,” said Afonso. “Enrique IV de Castilla has died.”

Beatriz crossed herself. “May God receive his soul,” she said, though, when she finished speaking, she frowned. “Who rules Castile now?”

“My niece, Juana, was the legitimate heir, but I have heard that her half-aunt, Isabel, has claimed the crown for herself, “ he said, bitterly. “There was a self-coronation in Castile where the Usurper has announced her newest pregnancy, which is a clear mockery of my niece, who is still too young to have children of her own.”

Beatriz carefully nodded. She wondered why Afonso was telling her all of this.

“Surely, His Grace intends to recognize Juana as Queen, rather than Isabel,” she murmured. Afonso nodded.

“Quite right,” he said, “But I will not speak of it in this day of celebration and piety.”

Beatriz nodded. She was about to excuse herself and go find Diogo when the herald raised his voice once again over the murmurs of the crowd, shouting out, “Dona Ana, Princess of Portugal!”

The person who entered the great hall was a young girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, a smug grin curling her lips. Her escoffion was tall and dripping with jewels, but this was not what dragged Beatriz’s attention in the young princess. Instead, as Dom João lovingly came to offer her an arm, she was only able to look at Dona Ana’s belly, bloated with pride as she ran a hand down the cloth of gold covering her midsection.

It seemed Iberia, for better or worse, would see two princes born in the oncoming year.

I think Isabel gives him more wealth and fortune in marriage than Maisie does.

The person who entered the great hall was a young girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, a smug grin curling her lips. Her escoffion was tall and dripping with jewels, but this was not what dragged Beatriz’s attention in the young princess. Instead, as Dom João lovingly came to offer her an arm, she was only able to look at Dona Ana’s belly, bloated with pride as she ran a hand down the cloth of gold covering her midsection.
Your honour, I love them.

December 1474. Castelo de São Jorge, Portugal.

Diogo held her arm in his as they walked inside the great hall, the sound of music and the hushed conversations of all the nobles present filling her ears almost immediately. Beatriz took a deep breath as they stopped right in the entrance, the herald announcing their arrival, “Infante Diogo e Infanta Beatriz, Duque e Duquesa de Viseu e Beja.”

Some low-ranking nobles stopped what they were doing and made bows, opening the way for them to pass on their way to the thrones, where they would greet the King. Beatriz held tightly to her son’s arm, feeling the eyes of everyone around her.

She and her family had not been back at court since her eldest daughter died in 1472, breaking the bonds of marriage and kinship between her and her deceased’s husband’s brother’s family. At first, her grief had been too great to do anything but lay in bed, thinking of Leonor and what could have been if she had lived. And then, when her grief finally abated and she was herself again, she preferred to stay back, mindful of the new Princess of Portugal’s presence. Certainly, Dona Ana would much rather enjoy her married life without the memories of her predecessor hanging around her.

But then, her brother-in-law, King Afonso, had specifically invited her and Diogo to court for the Christmas celebrations and they couldn’t exactly refuse a king’s invitation. She would have to put her grief and her dutiful loyalty aside to serve her monarch to the best of her capabilities.

Afonso was smiling broadly when Beatriz and Diogo stopped before him, making deep bows. “Sister!” he exclaimed, coming down from his throne to embrace her tightly. Beatriz chuckled and hugged him back, tapping against his velvet-covered shoulder. When he stepped back, he turned to her son and embraced him as well. “Dear nephew.”

“Tio,” Diogo said, dipping his head in a submissive gesture, “I can’t explain how happy your invitation has made me.”

Afonso nodded, still grinning. “Of course,” he said. “It has been far too long and our land is far too small for us to spend years without seeing our relatives.” He waved at the feast, the people dancing and eating together as they laughed. “Come, let us eat together. There is something I wish to speak to both of you.”

Beatriz and Diogo exchanged a single glance before they nodded and moved to follow the King to his high table. They sat next to him, with Diogo standing between her and her brother-in-law on his left side. It was at this moment that she noticed that the Prince was not present and her eyes found him in the back of the room, observing everything with a serious gaze.

Beatriz observed João de Avis with a careful tone. The crown prince unnerved her sometimes. He was the King’s only son, at least one that lived, and was set to inherit all of the Portuguese possessions throughout the known world.

Despite this, he was, much unlike his father, a fierce enemy of intrigue and revelry. Perhaps, it had been brought by the years he spent in Africa helping his father conquer lands from the infidel ruler of Morocco, but even if it hadn’t, there were those who feared the day when João became king. The Prince was not one known to be susceptible to others’ influence.

Beatriz sighed and moved her eyes away from her nephew and former son-in-law. Afonso was sipping from a goblet of wine, starting to speak in a hushed tone, “I have heard word that the Yorkist King of England has won against the House of Lancaster, who are our relatives.”

“At long last, the war has ended,” said Beatriz. Afonso merely looked at her. “Peace is costly, but necessary.”

“I agree wholeheartedly,” said Afonso, “And due to our newfound kinship with the French, we have alienated the English who were our most dear friends for centuries and it’s my wish to remedy that.”

Diogo nodded. “What can I do to help you with your endeavours,Tio?” he asked.

“I have a mind to marry a Portuguese infanta to Ricardo, Duque de Iorque,” he started. “Were my Joana ten years younger, I very well could send her, but alas, I can’t.” Beatriz took a deep shuddering breath, already knowing where this was going. “And so it’s my desire to have your sister and daughter, Infanta Beatriz, who is only some months younger than the young duke, marry Ricardo and bring peace.”

“Oh, Your Grace,” said Diogo, hesitant. “My little sister is the joy of Viseu. It would grieve me much to see her gone to such a distant land.”

“My dear nephew,” Afonso started, “This is my will. Worry not, for your sister will be well-taken care of by the English and I will pay her dowry myself as if she were the daughter of a ruling king.”

“But Bia is so young,” said Diogo, insistent. “May we wait some years before we are certain of the match?”

Before Afonso could say anything, Beatriz placed a hand on her son’s arm, drawing his attention to her and away from his uncle, who was growing ever more frustrated with his refusals. “We accept, brother,” said the Duchess. “It will be a pleasure to see my daughter entrusted with the task of bringing peace and renewing the bonds of friendship between England and Portugal.”

“But, mother, Bia is…” Diogo started, quickly stopping when she levelled him a single glare full of meaning. His jaw tensed and he stood up, leaving the hall and the feast with hushed footsteps. When he was gone, Beatriz turned to Afonso.

“His Grace must not worry,” she said. “My daughter will marry the Duke of York.” Her brother-in-law smiled and nodded, bringing a cup of wine to his lips. Dark purple drops slid down the corners of his mouth, staining his doublet, but he didn’t seem to care.

“I have other news from our neighbours,” said Afonso. “Enrique IV de Castilla has died.”

Beatriz crossed herself. “May God receive his soul,” she said, though, when she finished speaking, she frowned. “Who rules Castile now?”

“My niece, Juana, was the legitimate heir, but I have heard that her half-aunt, Isabel, has claimed the crown for herself, “ he said, bitterly. “There was a self-coronation in Castile where the Usurper has announced her newest pregnancy, which is a clear mockery of my niece, who is still too young to have children of her own.”

Beatriz carefully nodded. She wondered why Afonso was telling her all of this.

“Surely, His Grace intends to recognize Juana as Queen, rather than Isabel,” she murmured. Afonso nodded.

“Quite right,” he said, “But I will not speak of it in this day of celebration and piety.”

Beatriz nodded. She was about to excuse herself and go find Diogo when the herald raised his voice once again over the murmurs of the crowd, shouting out, “Dona Ana, Princess of Portugal!”

It seemed Iberia, for better or worse, would see two princes born in the oncoming year.
Love seeing Iberian affairs now that the Lancasters aren’t happening. Good to see the main branch of Aviz (and Ana and João specifically) thriving. Interesting to imagine what will happen with La Beltraneja here, Ferdinand and Isabella are already on the rise.