I... Foresaw this.

It would be an amazing troll yes, to tag in both the Reverse Post War British Decline and the Better Space Race crowd whilst also doing what is clearly an amazing amount of work / research.

I don't think this is his intention though, I imagine he is just trying to find a way of keeping it realistic

I imagine he is just trying to find a way of keeping it realistic

...which, in the sixties, a threat of cancellation certainly is :(

Have to agree with diestormlie, couldn't a Black Anvil test 'malfunction' and 'accidentally' take out the bean counters ;)

All in all a great thread, and to agree with diestormlie again, Hermes made me proud to be British... oh, wait a minute, we didn't do that in real life, did we?

Still no reason to be proud then :eek:

Amongst many subsequent measures, the British government are persuaded to seek further negotiations with France, with the aim of cancelling the Selene Project.

I real curious, in OTL try Harold Wilson that with France for Concorde and other projects
The French were to put it mildly, very piss off and threaten for Concorde, to go to law at European Court of Justice
other Project like Anglo-French-Variable-Geometry-Aircraft the french left and the Brits fended for oneself.

I wonder wen the German cavalry show up with blank cheque in this TL ?

This is most alarming news!

Or it would be were I not confident that there would be no TL called "The Selene Project" if the darn thing gets cancelled before any of its manned hardware flies with a crew aboard.

Given OTL British history postwar, that's just exactly the sort of thing HMG tends to do of course. So perhaps I should be very afraid?:eek:

And most definitely ashamed to be a Yank; LBJ's administration's fiscal brinksmanship with our best and most beloved ally would leave me shocked and appalled if only I were not by now so painfully aware of how many other times since 1945 we've demonstrated this an abusive relationship. Douglas Adams once compared the collective personality of the USA to a sullen teenage boy, and I hang my head in shame it seems to be so.

Nevertheless I remain pretty sure that Selene the project will remain on track--if not on schedule. All the setbacks and delays hitherto seem to have the effect of shaking down the project to something more realistic and solid.

Always fear the power of the Treasury and the dead hand of the bureaucrat...
... but only up to a point.:)

LBJ-Wilson was certainly one of the low points in US-UK postwar relations. With hindsight, its difficult to regard either of them as particularly good leaders, but LBJ had bigger problems and Wilson didn't have much of a hand to play. The Sterling devaluation turned out to be quite successful in the short(ish) term.

As to pushing people around, to be fair the US had plenty of opportunity to study it (occasionally on the receiving end) during the 19th century. The Empire wasn't built just by being nice to everyone.

...which, in the sixties, a threat of cancellation certainly is :(

Have to agree with diestormlie, couldn't a Black Anvil test 'malfunction' and 'accidentally' take out the bean counters ;)

All in all a great thread, and to agree with diestormlie again, Hermes made me proud to be British... oh, wait a minute, we didn't do that in real life, did we?

Still no reason to be proud then :eek:

It would be an amazing troll yes, to tag in both the Reverse Post War British Decline and the Better Space Race crowd whilst also doing what is clearly an amazing amount of work / research.

I don't think this is his intention though, I imagine he is just trying to find a way of keeping it realistic

In case of emergency, pull lever to deploy emergency Churchill:
"This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps... etc."

I real curious, in OTL try Harold Wilson that with France for Concorde and other projects
The French were to put it mildly, very piss off and threaten for Concorde, to go to law at European Court of Justice
other Project like Anglo-French-Variable-Geometry-Aircraft the french left and the Brits fended for oneself.

I wonder wen the German cavalry show up with blank cheque in this TL ?

You'll have to wait and see with France, but you are thinking along the right lines.
Let's be honest, getting France and Britain to agree on anything is a major achievement, even today.

The Germans don't have much to offer at the moment (OK - money, but they're not just going to give that away to some foreign project without something in return).
Even in reality, the West German space industry in the mid 60s was a bit of a weak link in ELDO/Europa. By the mid 70s that had changed thanks to the work of firms like B&V and Messerschmitt (helped in no small way by their co-operation with BAC).
In the story both Britain and France are even further ahead in this particular field, so there is even less room for "outsiders". However, other nations will ultimately play a part.

You'll have to wait and see with France, but you are thinking along the right lines.
Let's be honest, getting France and Britain to agree on anything is a major achievement, even today.

The Germans don't have much to offer at the moment (OK - money, but they're not just going to give that away to some foreign project without something in return).
Even in reality, the West German space industry in the mid 60s was a bit of a weak link in ELDO/Europa. By the mid 70s that had changed thanks to the work of firms like B&V and Messerschmitt (helped in no small way by their co-operation with BAC).
In the story both Britain and France are even further ahead in this particular field, so there is even less room for "outsiders". However, other nations will ultimately play a part.

you man MBB Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm, that was one of the best Aerospace firm Germany ever had, today part of Airbus group.
during this time frame of this TL, Germany look for Satellite launcher for there Probes or probes were carrying there instruments
In OTL this let to US german 1968 accord of launching HELIOS solar probe with Titan IIIE and series of german satellites launch by americans and French rockets
today Germany Aerospace industry provide instruments like spectrograph and Cameras to NASA Mars rovers, Orbiters and other space probes of ESA and Russian.

I think similar package deal could get German government with Britain to launch HELIOS with Black Anvil
or other Probes in time 1968 MBB and ERNO were proposing Jupiter Fly by probe, Mercury orbiter, Venus Orbiter with Lander capsule and Mars orbiter.

you man MBB Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm, that was one of the best Aerospace firm Germany ever had, today part of Airbus group.
during this time frame of this TL, Germany look for Satellite launcher for there Probes or probes were carrying there instruments
In OTL this let to US german 1968 accord of launching HELIOS solar probe with Titan IIIE and series of german satellites launch by americans and French rockets
today Germany Aerospace industry provide instruments like spectrograph and Cameras to NASA Mars rovers, Orbiters and other space probes of ESA and Russian.

I think similar package deal could get German government with Britain to launch HELIOS with Black Anvil
or other Probes in time 1968 MBB and ERNO were proposing Jupiter Fly by probe, Mercury orbiter, Venus Orbiter with Lander capsule and Mars orbiter.

Yes, I do mean MBB, first class outfit. I had forgotten that the merger happened that early - I have always associated it with the formation of Panavia a bit later on.
There’s certainly lots of scope for other nation’s instruments on various flights (more to come there) and a few countries will figure in other ways.

Unfortunately, Silver Star in its existing form wouldn’t be able to launch Helios exactly as they were flown. If the rocket behaved flawlessly and burned every drop of fuel then it could just about do it, but once sensible performance margins are added, it would be about 300m/s short at burnout, meaning the probes would fly about 2,500,000km further from the sun. Fit a small solid kick motor and you could match the performance (or even improve on it).
At those high energies, the high impulse and the slightly lower burnout mass of the Centaur stage really work well.

However, its still not a bad show – a 2 ½ stage Silver Star would be nearly as capable as the 4 stage Titan 3E. To Mars or the Moon, Silver Star would have a small advantage over Titan.
There’s one other problem with Britain launching Helios; they’re not going to be able to match the price the US charged for the launches.

Le Two Fingered Salute

"Non"​

The Selene Project was never popular with the Treasury. Having quietly bided their time for over two years, in late 1967 they sense the opportunity to rid Britain of what they see as costly folly. However, when set against the background of the more urgent financial crisis, negotiations are not pursued as hard as some financial hawks would like. The Project still enjoys considerable support within the Defence and Technology Ministries, while the PM is hesitant to cancel something that shows off the best of British engineering and which is supporting an industry that appears to be on the verge of delivering valuable export orders.

The negotiations with the French do not go well.

In a double blow, President de Gaulle vetoes the second British application for membership of the EEC, and French officials inform their British counterparts that France would seek all possible compensation and penalties if Britain should make a unilateral decision to abandon Selene. They remind the British, again, that the Project was formed by treaty, now registered in The Hague, and cannot legally be cancelled without the agreement of both parties. The French government is in favour of continuing and will continue to meet its obligations to "our British friends".

At a stormy session of Cabinet on the 1st of December, discussion of the Selene Project includes use of the phrase "Damn the French, just cancel it"* in favour of unilaterally walking away from the agreement, irrespective of the consequences. More moderate opinion carries the day and it is agreed to not make an immediate statement, while enquiries are made into the financial implications of a cancellation.

[* the remark is unattributed and many who were present deny it was ever said.]

By way of light relief, the following day the SPC agrees to forgo the test launch of a dummy "Explorateur" lander. The Silver Star launcher has behaved well on its last two flights and vibration tests are complete. They believe that cancelling this test will save about £4M.

At cabinet the following weekend, one of the quickest U-turns in government departmental history is on display. On the advice of his Treasury officials, the chancellor now argues against cancellation of the Project. Termination liabilities to the French could run to over £300M - a huge sum which would ultimately leave the country, and the equivalent of 3-4 months’ worth of the payments deficit. Although the matter could be delayed in the international Courts, there is little doubt that Britain would wind up liable for a sizable fraction of this amount. It would risk further poisoning Anglo-French relations for years to come and might jeopardise several co-operative defence projects. Run-down and termination penalties with British firms would be in the region of £120M, a further significant drain on the strained government finances.

The Foreign Office have also raised the possibility of protests and demands for compensation from the Australians, who have invested significantly in facilities to support Selene and other British space projects. The Technology and Defence Ministries are (as ever) in favour of continuing.

A week is a long time in politics, and the political dimension has become clearer than it was. The government has been humiliated over US loans, EEC membership and the devaluation of Sterling. As Minister for Technology Tony Benn said during the discussion "You may cancel and we shall all be damned for it"**. The previous Thursday, the Labour vote was wiped out in a by-election; a supposedly safe Labour seat was lost to the Conservatives. Two more by-elections are due in January and there are murmurs of impending defections to the Liberals. The space programme, which has just started to deliver television into British homes, is closely linked to the Selene Project in the minds of the public. Just at the moment, cancelling it would be one failure too many.

[** This time, there is no doubt what was said - it appears in the minutes.]

Although the immediate threat to the Project has been seen off, criticism of the management of Selene continues in the press and through parliamentary committees. The untimely loss of Explorateur 1, which disappeared without trace on the 8th January, provokes questions as to the basic viability of the Project.
In addition to the more reactionary outbursts, there is a strong desire to see the SPC reformed and its members replaced with leaders who will be capable of controlling costs and minimising "project creep" amongst the engineering teams and subcontractors.

Despite the recent political disagreements, British officials do receive some support from their French counterparts regarding the lack of adequate accounting controls within the Selene Project. However, unlike the British, the French have a dedicated space agency (SNES - Societe National d'Etudes Spatiale) which is tasked with managing all matters to do with space development and the allocation of funds provided by the state. The French government is therefore much better informed regarding the day to day progress and expenditures of Selene. Their side of The Project is also considerably over budget, however their attitude is more relaxed than that of the British. The French economy is booming and Selene is still regarded as part of a national programme to modernise and expand the aerospace industry.
For very different reasons to the British, the French cannot contemplate allowing Selene to be abandoned.

Unfortunately, Silver Star in its existing form wouldn’t be able to launch Helios exactly as they were flown. If the rocket behaved flawlessly and burned every drop of fuel then it could just about do it, but once sensible performance margins are added, it would be about 300m/s short at burnout, meaning the probes would fly about 2,500,000km further from the sun. Fit a small solid kick motor and you could match the performance (or even improve on it).
At those high energies, the high impulse and the slightly lower burnout mass of the Centaur stage really work well.

However, its still not a bad show – a 2 ½ stage Silver Star would be nearly as capable as the 4 stage Titan 3E. To Mars or the Moon, Silver Star would have a small advantage over Titan.
There’s one other problem with Britain launching Helios; they’re not going to be able to match the price the US charged for the launches.

only 300m/s short that really not bad for Silver Star !
the Helios probe have mass of 370 kg, so little solid engine could do the kick
Alternative if Helios is aimed to Venus were the probe make a swing-by maneuver, that could work also !

only 300m/s short that really not bad for Silver Star !
the Helios probe have mass of 370 kg, so little solid engine could do the kick
Alternative if Helios is aimed to Venus were the probe make a swing-by maneuver, that could work also !

A kick motor would be the way to go. As built, I don't believe Helios had a propulsion system (it didn't need one), so targeting a Venus flyby would be all but impossible.

A kick motor would be the way to go. As built, I don't believe Helios had a propulsion system (it didn't need one), so targeting a Venus flyby would be all but impossible.

no engine, spin stabilize at long vertical axis, RCS with 7.7 kg cold Nitrogene gas over 3 jets to align the rotation axis

Rudderless

[You may notice that the description of some events is a bit limited in the next few timeline instalments. These will be covered later on.]

Feb-68
OTR-19 - Blue Streak test flight from Rainbow Beach. Range: 1,698mi, impact 2,200' from target.

BAC are asked to study the possibility of flying three astronauts on board a PROM. The firm will report back on the changes that would be needed to accommodate an additional crewmember.

The Treasury withhold funds for the refit of the first Princess Flying boat. Boat No.2 has completed its refit and is now back in service with its new engines and improved aerodynamics. It is argued that parts salvaged from this refit can be used to keep Boat No.1 flying for the forseeable future, saving an estimated £960,000 in refit costs.

Aurora 1 / S-106
First test of the Hawker Siddeley built PROM spacecraft. The mission is unmanned and flies only a suborbital "hop". The RM is recovered from the sea to the east of Christmas Island.

Feb-68 Overseas
NASA probe Surveyor 3 crashes into the lunar surface after firing its deceleration rocket. The space agency says that control was lost during the deceleration burn and the probe entered a spin.

Feb-68
Hermes 1 / SSLV-4
Launch of the first production Hermes satellite, equipped with two transponders.
The Silver Star performs well. A two-burn profile with the upper stage is used to minimise the restart risk with the J-650 engine. A light fuel load is carried on the satellite to compensate for the inefficiency of this flight path. A 208x36370km transfer orbit is achieved and is raised to 35,596x36,069km after half an orbit. Everything runs smoothly and the upper stage has almost 1,000lbs of fuel remaining when the flight is complete. At T+5:54 the Hermes satellite is released and activates as expected. A slower checkout sequence is used than with Hermes-P, with minor manoeuvers using the spacecraft's thrusters to position it at 2 degrees west.
Live broadcast of BBC1 and full time ITV channels starts simultaneously on the 8th March, leaving BBC2 to be transmitted via Hermes-P until the next satellite is launched. Hermes 1 operates in geostationary orbit until December 1970 when its fuel reserve runs low. It is moved to a slightly higher orbit and allowed to drift west. Final TV transmissions are made in February 1971. Occasional experimental use and monitoring continues until November 1971, when the performance of one of the radiators degrades abruptly. The satellite is turned away from the sun and switched off on 26 November 1971.

Mar-68
The failure of the engine in the later stage of the Lunar Orbiter A5 flight is put down to gas pockets in the fuel lines, which could form when the fuel tanks are very nearly empty. It may be possible to improve this through the use of additional cold gas thrusting prior to starting the engine and with new baffles in the fuel line designed to retain liquid fuel. These baffles will be fitted to A7 and A8 spacecraft. A4 and A6 are due to fly within 3 months and cannot be modified, so the flight plans will be modified not to include any engine burns once a circular mapping orbit is established.

There are concerns over the slowdown in Black Anvil/Silver Star booster core production impacting on Selene flight schedules. The SPC ask BAC to investigate whether it might be possible to separate and re-use the two outer cores of a Constellation rocket.

Lunar Orbiter A4 / BSLV-15
Final "Wide Angle" spacecraft. The launch vehicle successfully delivers A4 into a 177x175km Earth orbit. Translunar injection falls short and a correction is made at T+12:05. A further correction is made at T+73:02 and the decision is made to attempt a single injection manoeuvre to go straight into the mapping orbit (previous flights have included an intermediate orbit to allow the tracking to be fine-tuned). Fuel reserves have been used up in the correction burns and the flight team do not want to risk having to restart the engine once in lunar orbit. LOI is at T+100:45 and all the fuel is burned, leaving A4 in a 94x165km lunar orbit.
Mapping beings five hours later, as flight controllers are concerned that the lumpy lunar gravity will cause the orbit to degrade rapidly. However, precise tracking over the next 36 hours shows it is hardly changing at all. The entire film reel has been exposed by the end of orbit 112 and relay of the pictures to Earth starts straightaway. 293 images are successfully radioed back over the next 24 days. At this point, the probes’ stabilisation system ceases to respond to commands, meaning that the high-gain radio link needed to send data back to Earth can no longer be maintained reliably enough to send back picture data. The spacecraft is tracked on a daily basis until 5th April 1969, when it hits the lunar surface.

French engineering teams working to integrate Explorateur 2 with its launch vehicle complain that the British crews working on the Silver Star rocket are delaying the flight.
In practice there are minor technical problems with the launcher, but when combined with some hesitancy on the part of British contractors over payment delays, the launch campaign is a month behind schedule. Underlying tensions within the Project, the "exclusively French" nature of the Explorateur spacecraft and the recent criticism of it by a British-led review board combine to produce suspicions amongst the French team that the British are not treating them as equals and are deliberately delaying the launch.

OTR-20
Blue Streak test & training flight from Benbecula. Range: 1,726mi, impacts 2,400' from target. The missile carries an atmospheric sampling experiment in a side pod, which is later recovered from the Atlantic.

Apr-68
A fire on Test Stand 5 at Spadeadam damages the stand and a Black Anvil booster pack that is on test. A liquid oxygen leak led to the ignition of oil and insulation materials on the structure of the stand. Early investigations show that much of the steel structure and test equipment will have to be replaced. The test stand is likely to be out of action for four months and is likely delay the delivery of several Silver Star cores.

Explorateur 2 / SSLV-5
Second attempt to land an unmanned spacecraft on the lunar surface. First flight of the improved Silver Star upper stage with the strengthened and higher performance J-650-100 engine. Last contact with the probe is at T+120:54. The spacecraft is left in solar orbit.

Apr-68 Overseas
NASA launches SA-302, the second test flight of its Saturn III heavy lift booster. 38s into the flight, a panel bursts out from near the base of the payload fairing. It spins and falls back, hitting the side of the first stage, puncturing the fuel tank and leading to a fire which streams out from the side of the rocket. Automatic systems detect the falling fuel tank pressure and shut down the F-1 engines. The unmanned but operational Apollo CM is boosted away by its launch escape system at 43s. The rest of the rocket is consumed in three huge balls of rolling flame a few seconds later as the self-destruct system is fired. This awful but spectacular event becomes one of the most memorable launch failures, with the footage often used in documentaries and films to this day.
The Command Module is recovered intact from the sea a few miles offshore.

Apr-68
SERP-3 / BSLV-16
Repeat of the SERP-1 experiments which were lost in a launch failure. Successfully launched into a 188x201km orbit. Fluid transfer experiments are completed during the first 14 hours in orbit. Tests of a revised star tracker are completed on the second day. Telemetry is received from the spacecraft until shortly before it re-enters on the 83rd orbit.

The charade of Selene management continues with a decision by the remaining members of the SPC to suspend further Explorateur flights pending a review of the design. After intensive lobbying by the French manufacturer and their representatives, the decision is reversed a few days later. The following week, it is then "finally decided" that the Explorateur 3 flight is to be delayed to allow time to complete a more thorough analysis of the failure of Explorateur 2.

May-68 Overseas
NASA’s Apollo 7 makes an 8 day flight in Earth orbit. The crew of three perform two rendezvous manoeuvers, one with their own upper stage and the next with an Agena target stage. On day 2 they dock with the Agena. On the second of two planned spacewalks, astronaut Ed White becomes dangerously overheated in his suit while struggling at an experiment station on the Agena. Disorientated, with his faceplate completely fogged and at risk of heat stroke, he has to be guided back to the Apollo by his crewmates. With plenty of fluid and in the cool of the Apollo’s cabin, he recovers quickly once out of his suit and the mission continues for a further two days, conducting Earth observations.

May-68
Aurora 2 / S-107
Attempt at an unmanned orbital flight test of the PROM spacecraft.
Complete failure. The Silver Star launcher’s guidance starts to wander during the early stages of flight. The rocket is aborted and the capsule is destroyed.

Jun-68
A new Lunar Landing Development Vehicle makes its first flight at Farnborough.
This is a completely different design to the original, with a return to a helicopter-derived concept. A Westland Wessex has been heavily modified to incorporate four small gimbaled, downward facing jet engines in additional to the usual rotor system. An on board computer based on the PROM’s general purpose unit has been fitted, along with a sophisticated Doppler radar system and an inertial platform. This system controls the jets to simulate the main engine and thrusters of a lunar lander and will permit much more sophisticated tests of decent and guidance software than earlier vehicles. A new electronic autopilot uses the standard rotor system to cancel out 5/6ths of the weight of the craft, while minimising the effects of air resistance and wind gusts using feedback from the inertial platform.
The new craft is much more capable and flexible that the original pure jet test vehicles and should offer somewhat better safety as it can still be flown as a traditional helicopter if there are problems with the jets or control system. Once confidence has improved, it is planned to simulate approaches from altitudes of over 10,000' and horizontal distances of 10 miles.

SERP-2
A Diamant rocket is used to make the first orbital launch from the new French station near Kourou in French Guyana. The satellite carries a French built experiment to measure the performance of Liquid Hydrogen insulation systems in zero gravity. It measures the heat flow rates through several test areas of insulation into a small LH2 tank. The mission lasts 4 days until its batteries are depleted.

Vibration tests are begun using a huge hydraulic test rig set up in a former airship hangar at Cardington. The tests quickly show that there are significant problems with the mechanism that will attach the three Black Anvil cores together to make a Constellation first stage.
This “Constellation Stage Adaptor” (or CSA) is a superficially simple looking system of girders. Although it looks more like something that belongs on a building site than on top of a rocket, it is actually one of the most complex pieces of engineering in the Project.
The deformation, stresses and resonances in every strut, under accelerations varying from 1-5G, must be measured and balanced to ensure the whole rocket will not shake itself to pieces, or overstress the thin steel walls of the pressurised fuel tanks. “Off normal” cases must also be studied; for instance, what happens if any one of the booster engines has to be shut down at some point in the flight?
Constructed primarily of high-grade steel alloys, the CSA will have a mass of about 15 tons and must hold the three separate first stage cores together, transmit up to a thousand tons of thrust to the upper stages, balance the loads between the three cores while still allowing each one to flex independently under aerodynamic and engine control forces.

Jul-68
Clearance is given to launch Black Anvil test flights while changes to the range radar system are made. Radar faults are known to have caused the loss of Aurora 2. Black Anvil flights use an all-inertial guidance system which does not rely on this particular radar.

FA-1
First flight test of the Black Anvil missile. Although several earlier flights have been called “Black Anvil” tests, all of them have used the only the rocket booster core. This flight is the first to include the RV Guidance Carrier (RVGC) with the all-inertial guidance system, flight computer, sensors, RV dispensers and targeting thrusters that will make the rocket into a strategic missile. Four RV dispenser units are carried, equipped with 4 dummy RVs. The space and weight of the other four is used to carry additional test and telemetry equipment. The RVGC performs 3 pre-programmed manoeuvers during the first 11 minutes after release from the top of the missile and successfully tests the horizon scanners and the ejection of the RVs.
With US co-operation, it is tracked across the Pacific until it re-enters and breaks up 6,578 miles downrange.

The End of the Beginning

By the end of 1967, those opposed to the Selene Project had succeeded in stirring up a hornet’s nest of bad publicity surrounding its management and finances.

In theory, the buck stopped with the Selene Project Committee, an old-fashioned collection of diplomats, technocrats and a couple of engineers who supposedly made the decisions. In practice, they are barely involved in the actual running of the Project, and leave most of the financial and operational details to the Project’s numerous sub-contractors.

In March 1968, members of the SPC are questioned by a Treasury Select Committee over the handling of funds related to Selene. The details they provide are only slightly better than at a previous meeting in December. They are unable to provide an answer as to why liabilities and expenditures totalling nearly £32M are unaccounted for (these mostly relate to development funds spent on cancelled programmes such as Lunar Orbiter B and a UK-backed Hydrogen fuelled engine that was abandoned in 1966). Although there is no suggestion of dishonesty and the committee agrees that some tough decisions have been made, it seems that contractors have been left to their own devices when it comes to many Selene expenses. When asked to provide comprehensive estimates of future expenditures, SPC members appear surprised that the question was even asked and can offer few overall details; it is assumed that funding will remain “steady”. Diplomatic and top-level design considerations have occupied their time.

Calls for members of the SPC to resign mount in the press. The issue is raised in Parliament on several occasions and ministers assure the House that investigations are ongoing, while discussions with the French regarding changes to the management of the Project are underway. Several firms are forced to slow the pace of work on several Selene contracts due to payment delays. This affects several of HSD’s subcontractors and means that two PROM spacecraft due to be used in upcoming tests will be delayed. Government auditors working with the larger contractors have found cost overruns amounting to £61M and it is expected that more will be found.

At Anglo-French ministerial discussions in April, officials from the Ministry of Technology and the French SNES agree to formulate a new strategy for managing the Selene Project. The SPC will continue in their present role until the new management structure is in place. Any agreement of the 1969 Selene budget will be delayed pending the reorganisation.

The following day, the Chairman of the SPC resigns, saying that he is unable to be of further service to the Project and cannot agree with the decision to suspend budget negotiations while a revised management structure is forced upon the Project. He says the decision to suspend the budget will delay the programme while affecting thousands of Project staff and contractors, who have delivered a remarkable set of technologies and spacecraft over the last five years. Dr Tregarron has led Selene almost since its formation and, although many consider it right that he should go, he is widely praised for helping to steer the Project through its early diplomatic and technical problems. In the interim, he will be replaced by his deputy.

While changes to the overall running of The Project must be made in conjunction with the French, changes to the management and funding of the British side of Selene and the rest of Britain’s space programme are also needed. Having disposed of one of the programme’s leading figures and imposed delays on ongoing operations, the attention of those opposed to Selene turns back to the British government. The new strategy is not so much “divide and conquer” as it is “consolidate and cancel”. When the structure and management of the space programme is next discussed, it is proposed that Britain sets up a dedicated Space Department which could operate in much the same way as any other, with its own officials responsible to a Minister, and with a budget set as part of the normal annual rounds.

This Treasury backed suggestion meets with disapproval from the Ministry of Technology, as any new Space Department would take responsibility and funding away from them. From the other direction, it is resisted by the scientific community who see the potential for a relatively powerful space lobby to take the dominant part of science and R&D funding, leaving those science interests without such a powerful voice at Westminster with even less cash than at present.
Objections are also raised by the MoD, who regard the existing joint arrangements over the development of strategic missile systems as being adequate. Use of some of these components in the civil sector reduces cost to the military and allows for a greater degree of testing. In truth, the MoD would like it all for themselves, but changing one system for another that is no better for them is not in their interests.

Weeks and months pass with little sign of action, so in an effort to stop what they see as deliberate delays by the British, the French government makes a set of proposals over the future conduct of Selene. They suggest that a new Board of Controllers should be appointed, including equal French and British representation. The Board should include members with engineering, industrial and economic backgrounds. Sub groups can be formed as needed, but are expected to include permanent finance and engineering committees. More comprehensive and regular exchanges of personnel between nations are needed to allow a better understanding of the technology being developed. A more coordinated use of the resources that are available in both countries could reduce some duplication of effort and cost. For instance, the French have offered to build a tracking and relay station in French Guyana, replacing the need for Britain to build one on Grenada, a project that has run into opposition from local leaders seeking independence.

Perhaps the most radical suggestion made by the French is that Australia should be brought into the Project as a full member. Although this would seem to be a dilution of French influence, in truth they are more worried about Britain simply pulling out altogether.
No matter what the eventual legal penalties might be, many French firms and the country’s nascent space industry would be left high and dry if the British choose to pull out at this stage. There are too many developed or part-developed systems and spacecraft that are totally reliant on British launchers or components. Including Britain’s closest Commonwealth ally would not only help to improve the Project's finances, but would also make it more difficult for Britain to withdraw.

Many British supporters of Selene have long advocated the expansion of Australia's involvement in the Project, and discussions had been started by the SPC. As in France and Britain, the Australian government has no desire to fund projects outside of their own country, however in their case this still leaves scope for greater participation. Construction and operation of further ground facilities at Rainbow Beach could be wholly Australian-funded. There is also a need for expanded training facilities, with the Woomera range being an ideal site.

While the bureaucrats seem to be sitting on their fences, frustration in the right wing press mounts over the Labour government's inability to make progress with Selene. Naturally seeking any excuse to criticise the government, articles are published suggesting that Britain is "abandoning yet more technology to the USA" or is "damaging an industry that will bring £100M into Britain this year" (an exaggerated reference to the sale of Hermes spacecraft to US TV network CBS - which is neither complete, nor valued at £100M).

Although not in the public domain, negotiations towards a new settlement for the Selene Project are in fact progressing well. During these confidential discussions, France has agreed to increase its funding of several areas of the Project, with more work being done on French soil. This includes a proposal for France to take over the entire development of the Constellation’s ECPS upper stage guidance system, as well as efforts to speed up development of the VDL lander.
Cost reductions are also to be made in several areas. Planning for “3 launch” (long duration) lunar missions is to be put on hold and the development of a pressurised lunar surface rover and lab will be suspended until 1971.

By the summer, it is agreed that a joint British-Australian-French steering committee be set up to take over the running of the Selene Project. As initially constituted, the committee will have no powers to manage the Project. It will spend its first months receiving in depth briefings from auditors, engineers and existing management before taking over and expanding the powers of the old SPC. Eight Britons, eight Frenchmen and two Australians will make up the new Selene Board (as the committee will be known).

After a year of uncertainty and the very real chance of cancellation, the Project now seems to have a chance at a stable future.

The formation of the Selene Board and the admission of Australia as a full member is now regarded by some historians as the beginning of the “Second Selene Project”. The “First Selene Project” can be thought of as two separate national programmes, each working towards the same goal.
To succeed in completing the increasingly complex systems need to reach the Moon, the three Selene nations must now co-operate much more closely.

A wonderful lesson in How deal British Politic with Space flight.

and now with Austraila in the Selene Boat, it will more difficult for Politic factor to meddle with it.

See NASA save Galileo probe because they had Germany as partner
or how NASA save there Space Station form US congress, by sign treaty with ESA and Japan and Russia to build it International ...

Taking Matters in Hand

Jul-68
The likelihood of a unilateral cancellation of Selene has been receding since the start of the year. At first, this was driven by legal and diplomatic opinion that HMG would ultimately be liable for significant termination penalties. These opinions are now backed up by more detailed economic analysis. The Auditor General considers it possible that termination liabilities could be equivalent to the cost of continuing the Project until 1972, while bringing few of the benefits of the inward investment.

A new report to the government shows that the British side of the Project is not so far over budget as was feared. The reality is that shortage of skills has prevented both contractors and government operations from expanding as far as they might wish. With a limit to how many people they can employ, there is a limit to how far costs can rise. What has happened is a slow but steady shift in delivery dates, meaning that the Project is running late and will require funding for longer than was originally anticipated.
Therefore, by 1974, the Project will be running significantly over budget, however some of these costs will only be incurred in 1973/4. The plan of June 1964 was for UK “new expenditures" of £365M over 10 years in relation to Selene. Adjusting for increases due to inflation, the Project is currently £58M over budget (or 48% over based on the linear model of expenditure used in 1964). However, in reality, UK spending was always going to be higher during the first 5 years due to the number of new systems in development. It is noted that the scope of the report is limited due to the sensitive nature of several systems associated with Selene. This year, it is expected that the UK side of Selene will require £84M. However, more significant cost overruns have been prevented through the cancellation of several programmes, most notably the “Lunar Orbiter B” missions.
The report also concludes that very little of the money spent on Selene actually leaves the country, and the overseas sales generated by the space programme as a whole more than covers these amounts.

Jul-68 Overseas
NASA's Surveyor 4 touches down on the Moon to the south of the crater Copernicus. The probe returns images and readings of the electrical properties of the soil for twelve days, until the sun sets. Some of the systems survive the cold lunar night and further images are returned shortly after sunrise on the next day.

After months of legal wrangling and altogether too much negative publicity, American TV network CBS announces it will not be proceeding with a project to launch its own broadcast satellites. Objections from the FCC and legal challenges from local re-broadcasters have proven too difficult to overcome. The timing of the announcement is important, as CBS would have had to commit to a formal order from satellite builder HSD within a month. Until now, they have only had an "option to buy", reserved with a token payment.

HSD’s liabilities from this abortive deal are likely to be small. Several components for the two satellites have been ordered, but the expenditures are modest and it is hoped to complete and sell the satellites to other customers. Negotiations are underway with several parties.
The firm decides to go ahead and complete the structure and non-payload systems of one of the spacecraft at its own expense, in anticipation of future sales or to replace a loss of one of the four planned launches currently planned (two for the UK, two for Australia).

Jul-68
FA-1, the first test flight of a complete Black Anvil missile is announced as a success. For obvious reasons, details of exact range and payload are not made public, however "Britain's New Super Deterrent" is known to be capable of striking "any potential enemy with megaton class warheads".

Aug-68 Overseas
The USSR announces the recovery of its "Zond 5" spacecraft, an unmanned probe which has flown around the Moon and returned to Earth, splashing down in the southern Indian Ocean. They publish a dozen photographs of the lunar far side taken from the probe and report that several biological specimens survived the trip. This flight is the culmination of a series of increasing ambitious tests of a new design of Soviet spacecraft and booster rocket.

Aug-68
Both British and American press are full of speculation that the Soviets are preparing to launch a manned flight around the Moon, a mission for which Zond 5 was clearly a test flight. Theories range from the Soviets being able to send a man to the Moon "next month" to more sensible analysis based on past Soviet activity. If they follow their usual pattern, two completely successful test flights will be needed before they commit to a manned flight. Nonetheless, it seems possible that the Soviets could, theoretically, accomplish a manned flight around the Moon by the end of the year.

Aug-68 Overseas
NASA and US Intelligence briefs the administration on the Zond 5 flight. It is certain that it was not the fifth such mission, the Soviets have attempted at least 7 previous flights [actually 8]. The capsule used by Zond is a variant of the same Soyuz design that killed Cosmonaut Komarov last year. It is thought unlikely that the first manned flight since then will be a lunar one; a test flight in Earth orbit is regarded as far more probable before any attempt is made on the Moon.
Regarding a potential US response, NASA will be ready to fly its third Saturn III rocket in November.
If this is completely successful, studies are now under way into launching a crew on the fourth vehicle in March of 1969, which could be used to send a spacecraft towards the Moon. The Apollo Block 3 lunar orbit spacecraft is still on the drawing board, but a modified Block 2 could be used to accomplish a circumlunar flight (there are also some hastily prepared proposals to modify the Block 2 to go into lunar orbit). The fifth Saturn III rocket would then be used to launch NASA’s "Space Laboratory" in June, which would see American crews orbiting the Earth for up to 2 months at a time.
The development of an Earth orbit propulsion system and lunar landing module is underway, however budget limits set in 1967 and 68 have prevented as many new project development lines as were hoped for. At current funding levels, a manned lunar landing could not be attempted until 1973.
It is known that long term Soviet plans include a manned lunar landing and a series of robotic probes. They are known to be near to completing a large rocket, called N-1, which is approximately equivalent to the Saturn III. Two such rockets will be used to launch lunar flights. The N-1 is known to have a cluster of 24 engines in its first stage, with 8 engines on the second stage. As a consequence of this complexity, a test programme lasting at least 18 months is anticipated. The Soviets are known to be planning a manned landing in the “early 1970s”. Their earlier estimates that a lunar landing might be attempted in 1970 are clearly nonsense.
The report is received with a heavy heart by the President, whose attempts to speed up the lunar programme by giving NASA new funds for lander development have been cut back by Congress over the past year.

Aug-68
Lunar Orbiter A6
BSLV-17 launches a Narrow Angle Orbiter.
This time the Blue Star’s upper stage over performs, sending the spacecraft into a 185x241km Earth parking orbit. A6 injects itself onto a fast trajectory towards the Moon and has to be slowed down 8 hours into the flight. A second correction at T+24:11 targets the low lunar orbit that is intended. Lunar orbit is achieved at T+95:51 with a 65s burn to a 152x686km orbit. An 8s burn two orbits later takes this to a 131x157km orbit and slightly increases the inclination. Photography begins on the 6th orbit. After a fast start, the pace slows when it is found that the spacecraft's orbit seems relatively stable.
The photography phase lasts until day 25, when the film is fully used up. Readout starts two orbits later and a total of 432 photographs are returned over the next 36 days, after which all images appear blank. A fault in the scan electronics is suspected as attempts to resend earlier photographs also result in blank images. It is thought that there are 57 images left unreturned.
The remaining propellant is vented to lower the orbit. Last contact with the spacecraft is on 16th January 1970.

Explorateur 3 / SSLV-6
Lunar lander probe equipped with a revised timing system. The Silver Star successfully injects it onto a 72h transfer towards the Moon. The probe starts its descent, but an error in the landing controller ultimately causes it to crash.

OTR-21
Blue Streak test and training flight from Rainbow Beach. Both engines cut out at 76s. Missile destroyed by the Range Safety Officer at 81s.

Sep-68
At the request of the MoD, Ministry of Technology officials approve changes to the design of future Black Anvil booster cores.
Production cores for delivery from late 1969 will incorporate strengthened upper tank structures and booster attachments, revised engine control cabling and more rugged ground attachment points. These changes are needed to help ensure the military Black Anvil missiles are capable of coping with the "rough handling" and repeated fill/drain fuelling cycles that are to be expected when in service.
The changes will also apply to booster cores intended for the civil "Silver Star" in order to maintain a single production line.
Changes to future Silver Star upper stages are also approved, indirectly as a result of the failure of Aurora 2. Vehicles after SSLV-10 will be equipped with a fully inertial guidance system, capable of controlling both first and second stage flight. The current design uses a radio-inertial command system for the first stage.

A Hit and a Miss

Aurora 1 and 2​

The test flight of Aurora 1 in February 1968 set the programme off to a good start. In practice, it was a relatively simple test. A single stage Silver Star rocket put an unmanned, battery powered Re-entry Module into space on a 5,000 mile sub-orbital hop. The Propulsion Module below it is ballasted to the correct flight weight, but carries only a few active systems – radiators, telemetry equipment and 8 small thrusters. No significant propulsion is needed on the short flight.

Shortly after the booster core shuts down, the PROM and the girder-like supports underneath it separate from the top of the rocket. The set of struts that have linked the PROM to the rocket are rather optimistically called a “VDL-A” and are virtually the only part of the entire vehicle to have been built in France. Aside from a few explosive bolts it is an inert structure, bearing no resemblance to the sophisticated spacecraft (VDL-B and C) that will come later. A minute later, the PROM itself separates from this frame, gently pushed away by the force of three springs before two aft-facing thrusters fire. The two RCS thruster quads that have been fitted for this flight are equipped with a small auxiliary propellant tank. On a fully operational PROM, they will draw fuel from the main tanks using electrically driven pumps.
Sixteen minutes after liftoff, the RM separates, leaving the PM to be pushed away by two forwards-facing thrusters. Now under active control using its own Reaction Control System, the RM coasts slowly back down towards the atmosphere on a very shallow trajectory intended to maximise the total heat load on the heat shield. The lifting configuration of the capsule keeps peak deceleration low, reaching a gentle 3.27G.
Aurora 1 lands under three parachutes, 41 minutes 37 seconds after liftoff, completing a perfect demonstration flight.

For the Aurora programme and the Selene Project as a whole, the events of 1968 would go steadily downhill from then on. Problems with management, disagreements with the French and the issues with their Explorateur probes would show that the Project was in trouble. Aurora 2 would be another one of these problems.

The flight of Aurora 2 provides a warning over quality control and reminds everyone that it is still early days for the Silver Star launcher. 124 seconds into the flight, the rocket’s radio-inertial guidance system stops accepting updates from the ground. By 136s the vehicle is starting to wander and the pitch rate exceeds the limit set in the PROM’s automatic abort system. The system commands the Silver Star’s engines to shut down and the launch escape motor is supposed to fire and carry the Re-entry Module to safety, well away from the failing booster.
The engines do shut down, but the escape system doesn’t fire. The Range Safety Officer sends the destruct command to the booster at 158s and the Flight Termination System rips it apart while it is still at high altitude. At this point, the payload fairing breaks apart and the RM falls free of the rest of the rocket, eventually re-entering the atmosphere and hitting the sea at over 150mph, still attached to the failed escape rocket.

The failure of the flight is traced to a fault in the automatic radio update system on the ground. Once every four seconds, ground based radars linked to a computer system send a correction signal to update the rocket’s on board guidance system. At 121s this ground based system started to send garbled data. A few seconds later, the last update from the ground ceased to be relevant to the trajectory and the vehicle started to "wander" off its expected flight path. As this flight carried a PROM, the rocket was equipped with an automatic launch escape system, which is designed to shut down the engines and fire the escape tower if the rocket’s behaviour exceeds one of several pre-set limits.

The failure of the escape rocket is traced to a simple, but potentially deadly, quality control error in the launch preparations.
To help safeguard the pad crews, the small solid fuel rockets used in the escape system do not have their igniters installed until the vehicle is fully integrated on the pad. Explosive bolts which allow the escape tower to be pulled away from the RM are physically disconnected for a similar reason. As this was only the second test flight, a lot of work was being done on the PROM after integration and it was decided not to install the igniters while this was going on. Once the work was done, it seems no-one then went back to install the igniters, as they were past that point in the check list and a key member of the pad crew happened to be away at the wrong time.
The investigators concluded that the abort system did send the signal to fire the escape system and did attempt to fire the charges to cut it free from the RM. Without the pyrotechnics the RM was not pulled away and the escape system was not jettisoned. In this case, there was no fire and the booster did not explode, so the RM eventually fell away “naturally” when the rocket disintegrated after the FTS was fired. The capsule hit the sea with the deadweight of the escape rocket still attached. The fault would undoubtedly have been fatal had there been a crew on board.

As the investigation reaches its conclusion, it is decided that a replacement mission, Aurora 2A, will be flown later in the year.

A Low Point

Well, it's all been a bit disheartening recently hasn't it?

However, the management of the Project has passed its low point. As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.