The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Good chapter; nice to see the aftermath of the attack and it looks like we're transitioning to the cruiser event next, perhaps.

marathag

Banned
With the Bow gone, would have been better to have gone stern first, engine reverse into Neutral Waters to reduce pressure on the bulkheads
USS New Orleans did this after a Long Lance hit during the Battle of Tassafaronga
USS-New-Orleans-missing-her-bow.jpg

USN-CN-Tassafaronga-3.jpg

after a temporary bow
1504037415007.jpg

29d699b2-e665-11e8-a48b-38eaa735f4cc_1200x.jpg

Minneapolis
p32i4yf4u1f51.jpg

And Saint Louis
75oh7qo0ae311.jpg

S9DP9Nn.jpeg

I
With the Bow gone, would have been better to have gone stern first, engine reverse into Neutral Waters to reduce pressure on the bulkheads
USS New Orleans did this after a Long Lance hit during the Battle of Tassafaronga
I did think about backing Princes Charlotte into US waters. From a narrative perspective, it felt comical in the wrong way, but I may revisit that when I take this monstrosity and give it a big edit after I am done.

Nice pix. Thanks.

I did think about backing Princes Charlotte into US waters. From a narrative perspective, it felt comical in the wrong way, but I may revisit that when I take this monstrosity and give it a big edit after I am done.

Note that not all ships can take backing up long distances. It's rough on the rudder. Especially if said ship has recently grounded and been torpedoed, and was never imagined to take such punishment.

And "Armchair Admirals" will debate Lieutenant Von Spee's decision for decades to come afterward :) (And likely a Board will make some comment on it since the bulkhead DID cave) But in essence that would likely have required some additional personnel to be available to run those orders and set everything up and, (as he should) Spee was more directly concerned with getting his crew to relative safety if he could. I'd leave it alone as it makes sense under the circumstances that by the time he'd have thought about it there would be no one but him on the bridge and well ...

Randy

I

Nice pix. Thanks.

There may be practical reasons for the Princess Charlotte not sailing backwards. For more tension, maybe Von Spee and Rahl do want to back her up, but damage somewhere rules that out?

Thanks for the pix. Those treaty cruisers were a tough lot. I have been thinking of the naval campaign in this story as being like a mini-Solomons campaign, mini in warships and time. Point-blank ranges in poor visibility and narrow waters. I can imagine in an alt-WW 2 a Canadian warship being sent to a South Pacific island chain, with a senior officer or NCO remembering his time as a young sailor fighting the Hun. Or an American sailor in an alt-WW 2, serving in the Solomons, remembering the stories of an uncle or dad who was a German or Canadian sailor.

There may be practical reasons for the Princess Charlotte not sailing backwards. For more tension, maybe Von Spee and Rahl do want to back her up, but damage somewhere rules that out?

Thanks for the pix. Those treaty cruisers were a tough lot. I have been thinking of the naval campaign in this story as being like a mini-Solomons campaign, mini in warships and time. Point-blank ranges in poor visibility and narrow waters. I can imagine in an alt-WW 2 a Canadian warship being sent to a South Pacific island chain, with a senior officer or NCO remembering his time as a young sailor fighting the Hun. Or an American sailor in an alt-WW 2, serving in the Solomons, remembering the stories of an uncle or dad who was a German or Canadian sailor.
Yes, the fights with Anadyr, Restless, and the Galiano/Malaspina showdown had a sort of Third Savo Island/First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal feel about them.

I

Nice pix. Thanks.
There's a big difference between a CA needing to sail hundreds or thousands of miles, and an AMC just needing to limp a few miles and not wanting to pause in Canadian territory. Attempting to stop and reverse is liable, in Von Spees mind, to get them attacked, and given the semi-non shouted nature of the leaks I'd bet on getting her grounded ASAP as opposed to reducing pressure.

There's a big difference between a CA needing to sail hundreds or thousands of miles, and an AMC just needing to limp a few miles and not wanting to pause in Canadian territory. Attempting to stop and reverse is liable, in Von Spees mind, to get them attacked, and given the semi-non shouted nature of the leaks I'd bet on getting her grounded ASAP as opposed to reducing pressure.

Yeah that sounds about right. I would think Von Spee is pretty sure that there is no saving the ship so his primary concern would be avoiding a POW camp (and Radl avoiding the noose) so just going for the line makes more sense.

What did happen to those eight bars of silver? Missing silver, interned German sailors, interned Canadians sailors, the infamous Radl, neutral islanders and sailors who saw everything. The sensational novels and movie scripts practically write themselves.

Driftless

Donor
What did happen to those eight bars of silver? Missing silver, interned German sailors, interned Canadians sailors, the infamous Radl, neutral islanders and sailors who saw everything. The sensational novels and movie scripts practically write themselves.
Add in the Brave Boys, and the shootout at Bamfield

Question: If the Germans and Canadians are interned for the first 3 years of the war, what happens when the US declares war on Germany? Do the Candians then get repatriated back to Canada and the Germans become prisoners of war? Or do they get turned over to another neutral country until the war ends? Particularly with the Radl situation this seems kind of dicey...

Question: If the Germans and Canadians are interned for the first 3 years of the war, what happens when the US declares war on Germany? Do the Candians then get repatriated back to Canada and the Germans become prisoners of war? Or do they get turned over to another neutral country until the war ends? Particularly with the Radl situation this seems kind of dicey...
What you outlined is the exact process. The Germans become POW, Radl is probably a political decision. The Canadians can have princess Charlotte back :)

With Radl's Ships officers papers, they could list him as a reservist in the Imperial Austrian Navy as part of his qualifications. There would be no problems if they tried to get him as a spy since it was plainly there, or really cause problems with whoever said yes to hiring him.

With Radl's Ships officers papers, they could list him as a reservist in the Imperial Austrian Navy as part of his qualifications. There would be no problems if they tried to get him as a spy since it was plainly there, or really cause problems with whoever said yes to hiring him.
Radl is going to be one of history's infamous characters, isn't he - at least in Canada.