The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Double!
Aug 18, 1015 hours, SS Princess Sophia, Nicholas Passage, Alaska

To starboard, a vista opened into wide bay with a settlement of small houses, a cannery and a tall white church suitable for a medium sized city. “There is Metlakatla. The perfect place to put these men ashore,” said the captain of the Princess Sofia.

“I thought Metlakatla was right in Prince Rupert harbour?” said Krüger.

“That was Old Metlakatla,” said the captain. His hostility seemed to have eased, and he was becoming chatty. “The founding ministers of the utopian Christian community had a doctrinal dispute. So a bunch of the parishioners packed up and moved here to New Metlakatla. In the 1880s if I recall correctly. Same Tsimsian families in both towns. They stopped calling the towns Old and New ages ago, now they’re both just Metlakatla.”

“Fascinating,” said the Krüger.

“So I’ll just turn into the bay here and land these men on the dock,” said the captain.

“My orders are to land them in Ketchikan,” said Krüger.

“We can save more than two hours on the round trip by unloading them here,” said the captain. “That’s two less hours that you have to spend in American waters.”

“Listen. If we land them here, they can just hire local boats and get a ride back to Canada. My orders are to turn the militiamen over to proper US government authorities, so they can be properly interned. In Ketchikan. So we will continue to Ketchikan, if you please.”

The captain did not protest further, and the Princess Sofia continued north. They passed a steam tug towing a barge, and slowly overtook another coastal steamer, the Admiral Watson of the Pacific Steamship Line. An hour later the convoy turned to the north-east, and entered the narrow approach to Ketchikan Harbour, and after another 20 minutes the town of around a thousand souls revealed itself.

The forested hills ran right up to the edge and into the settlement. The entire waterfront was built out onto wharves on pilings, with numerous canneries, a large sawmill, a coal bunker, and docks for the Alaska and the Pacific Steamship Companies. A creek emptied into a crescent shaped bite out of the waterfront, to its left were several blocks of a downtown complete with hotels and commercial and public buildings. The wood frame houses where interspersed here and there with church steeples. Although lively with industry and much evidence of new construction, the town did not give the impression that it had just recently been built, in the way that Anyox and Prince Rupert did.

The tide was low. The wharves surrounding the crescent shaped part of the harbour were packed with people, and at times a great roar of voices carried across the water. Krüger was worried at first that the prize ships were causing some kind of panic. But the crowds were not looking at him. Some kind of game was in progress on the exposed tidal flats. There was even a set of bleachers built on the wharf to accommodate more spectators. There was a crack sound, and a ball flew through the air. The batter threw down his bat and began to run along a diamond shaped line marked on the estuary. The crowd cheered again. Krüger watched the ball fly in a high arc, and land in the lumber piles of the sawmill. “Double!” yelled an announcer through a bullhorn. He realized the playing field would be submerged at high tide, which seemed odd to him. Then, looking around, he could see no other continuous piece of flat ground.

http://www.sitnews.net/JuneAllen/Baseball/042603_photo_gallery.html

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4374km.g001201914/?sp=4&r=-0.646,0.248,2.293,1.311,0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metlakatla,_Alaska

https://vilda.alaska.edu/digital/collection/cdmg21/id/15163/

Note on the links on above, and another reason I love the internet: After I have chosen Ketchikan as a setting in the story, lets see what I can learn about it. Oh look, a map of the town with every single building labelled, drawn within months of the date I am writing about.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4374km.g001201914/?sp=4&r=-0.646,0.248,2.293,1.311,0

Fire insurance maps are an awesome historical resource. It looks like most of them are only available for $, at least in Canada, but the occasional one is in the public domain.

Driftless

Donor
He realized the playing field would be submerged at high tide, which seemed odd to him. Then, looking around, he could see no other continuous piece of flat ground.

Necessity is the mother of invention. A thousand years ago, when I played high school football, one of the opponents fields we played on sloped sharply up from about the 30yard line into the endzone, like 4' higher at the back of the end zone... Also, the back of that endzone was close to a barbed wire line fence and a treelined hillside on the other side. You try a "Lambeau Leap" and you'd be picking acorns out of your helmet. Needs must...

Driftless

Donor
Note on the links on above, and another reason I love the internet: After I have chosen Ketchikan as a setting in the story, lets see what I can learn about it. Oh look, a map of the town with every single building labelled, drawn within months of the date I am writing about.

Fire insurance maps are an awesome historical resource. It looks like most of them are only available for $, at least in Canada, but the occasional one is in the public domain.

Snapshots of history there. So many North American towns regularly re-invented themselves in their early days, that a labelled map like this is a historians treasure trove

On a somewhat related note, the East Asia Squadron's wreck site has been found, atleast Scharnhorst for the moment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50670743
Wow! The Nürnberg and Leipzig will be down there too, close by. The battle site is well documented in the Royal Navy logs, so it is not surprising the wreck was found soon after they started looking. Errors in the story I spot: Otto Von Spee was on the Nürnberg, not the Leipzig. Things I notice from the video: The guns shown would be 8.8cm tertiary guns. The casemated 8.8cm bow or stern guns in one shot are still trained fore and aft, with the shutters closed. So those guns would not have been used in the battle. And the video answers a question I had: Was the big ornate figure heads that the KM ships carried a "part" of the ship, or would it be removed when they stripped for action? I can see the remnants of the figurehead on the Scharnhorst's bow, so the figurehead did go into battle. I guessed that was the case, but now I know.

Thanks for this, I had not heard of it.

Wow! The Nürnberg and Leipzig will be down there too, close by. The battle site is well documented in the Royal Navy logs, so it is not surprising the wreck was found soon after they started looking. Errors in the story I spot: Otto Von Spee was on the Nürnberg, not the Leipzig. Things I notice from the video: The guns shown would be 8.8cm tertiary guns. The casemated 8.8cm bow or stern guns in one shot are still trained fore and aft, with the shutters closed. So those guns would not have been used in the battle. And the video answers a question I had: Was the big ornate figure heads that the KM ships carried a "part" of the ship, or would it be removed when they stripped for action? I can see the remnants of the figurehead on the Scharnhorst's bow, so the figurehead did go into battle. I guessed that was the case, but now I know.

Thanks for this, I had not heard of it.

Scharnhorst_at_Valparaiso.jpg

This is apparently Scharnhorst just after Coronel, you can see something around her bow but I'm not sure if that's the figurehead or not. I'd assume removing it wouldn't happen away from a friendly port. Regardless, another nice photo I found.

HNHIk6N.jpg

Aug 18, 1015 hours, SS Princess Sophia, Nicholas Passage, Alaska

To starboard, a vista opened into wide bay with a settlement of small houses, a cannery and a tall white church suitable for a medium sized city. “There is Metlakatla. The perfect place to put these men ashore,” said the captain of the Princess Sofia.

“I thought Metlakatla was right in Prince Rupert harbour?” said Krüger.

“That was Old Metlakatla,” said the captain. His hostility seemed to have eased, and he was becoming chatty. “The founding ministers of the utopian Christian community had a doctrinal dispute. So a bunch of the parishioners packed up and moved here to New Metlakatla. In the 1880s if I recall correctly. Same Tsimsian families in both towns. They stopped calling the towns Old and New ages ago, now they’re both just Metlakatla.”

“Fascinating,” said the Krüger.

“So I’ll just turn into the bay here and land these men on the dock,” said the captain.

“My orders are to land them in Ketchikan,” said Krüger.

“We can save more than two hours on the round trip by unloading them here,” said the captain. “That’s two less hours that you have to spend in American waters.”

“Listen. If we land them here, they can just hire local boats and get a ride back to Canada. My orders are to turn the militiamen over to proper US government authorities, so they can be properly interned. In Ketchikan. So we will continue to Ketchikan, if you please.”

The captain did not protest further, and the Princess Sofia continued north. They passed a steam tug towing a barge, and slowly overtook another coastal steamer, the Admiral Watson of the Pacific Steamship Line. An hour later the convoy turned to the north-east, and entered the narrow approach to Ketchikan Harbour, and after another 20 minutes the town of around a thousand souls revealed itself.

The forested hills ran right up to the edge and into the settlement. The entire waterfront was built out onto wharves on pilings, with numerous canneries, a large sawmill, a coal bunker, and docks for the Alaska and the Pacific Steamship Companies. A creek emptied into a crescent shaped bite out of the waterfront, to its left were several blocks of a downtown complete with hotels and commercial and public buildings. The wood frame houses where interspersed here and there with church steeples. Although lively with industry and much evidence of new construction, the town did not give the impression that it had just recently been built, in the way that Anyox and Prince Rupert did.

The tide was low. The wharves surrounding the crescent shaped part of the harbour were packed with people, and at times a great roar of voices carried across the water. Krüger was worried at first that the prize ships were causing some kind of panic. But the crowds were not looking at him. Some kind of game was in progress on the exposed tidal flats. There was even a set of bleachers built on the wharf to accommodate more spectators. There was a crack sound, and a ball flew through the air. The batter threw down his bat and began to run along a diamond shaped line marked on the estuary. The crowd cheered again. Krüger watched the ball fly in a high arc, and land in the lumber piles of the sawmill. “Double!” yelled an announcer through a bullhorn. He realized the playing field would be submerged at high tide, which seemed odd to him. Then, looking around, he could see no other continuous piece of flat ground.

http://www.sitnews.net/JuneAllen/Baseball/042603_photo_gallery.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metlakatla,_Alaska

https://vilda.alaska.edu/digital/collection/cdmg21/id/15163/

There is bound to be a newspaper in Ketchikan. How long will it take for a news report to go out about the Princess Sophia's visit and "cargo"? It will blow a big hole in Premier McBride's attempt to keep the troubles out of the newspapers. On the plus side for the Canadians, they will know where the Nurnburg had been at the time of Princess Sophia's capture.

Will the USN decide to send a warship north to watch over the US territory in the straits? Also, looking at the map, there look like a number of good places for an ambush among the islands.

Nick P

Donor
Will the USN decide to send a warship north to watch over the US territory in the straits? Also, looking at the map, there look like a number of good places for an ambush among the islands.

A meeting in the fog, a mistaken identity, a shot fired in haste, a battle follows.... Could this bring the US into the war early?

Reuben James didn't in WWII, or Panay just before the War
This would probably result in a firefight, and if it is in American coastal waters, it will be a big deal-Reuben James was sunk in the middle of the Atlantic, Panay went down in China, but an attack on an American vessel in American coastal waters, by a German warship, combined with the headlines of the 'brutal German ravaging of the Canadian coast,' could anger the American public/politicians enough for war

This would probably result in a firefight, and if it is in American coastal waters, it will be a big deal-Reuben James was sunk in the middle of the Atlantic, Panay went down in China, but an attack on an American vessel in American coastal waters, by a German warship, combined with the headlines of the 'brutal German ravaging of the Canadian coast,' could anger the American public/politicians enough for war

Probably would require a ham-fisted response from the Wilhelm as well, fortunately that is a chance.

Amen
Aug 18, 1030 hours, SMS Nürenberg, Milbanke Sound

After two hours of running south, the Nürnberg and Princess Charlotte emerged from the narrow channel of Fraser Reach and into the less restricted waters of Milbanke Sound. To the west, they could see a glimpse of the open Pacific. After some debate, Von Schönberg had decided to fly the British White Ensign, and the Princess Charlotte was flying her Red Ensign.

“We won’t fool anyone who knows their warships. After the fact, everyone who sees us will remember, and the Canadian authorities will be able to plot our course. But for now we might just pass as a curiosity and not inspire every fisherman to be a hero and row for 8 hours to sound the alarm.”

“You do not sound convinced,” said Radl, who had remained aboard Nürnberg after the burial at sea of the sailor who died at Swanson Bay. “As for following our course, all the Canadians need to do is connect the dots between ash piles.”

“If I had time I would rig a dummy funnel, so we could better play the part of the Royal Navy,” said Von Schönberg. “I trained to be an officer in a blue water navy. I feel right now more like I am commanding a China river gunboat.” They overtook a fish boat, with no gear in the water and her sail rigged. The crew waved. “But we are blessed that this colony seem to be more endowed with industry than communications.”

Unencumbered by slower vessels, and in good visibility, the ships had been steaming at 18 knots, and had been leaving quite a wake for the occasional fish boat or canoe they passed. A denser cluster of boats indicated the presence of another settlement the chart called “Indian Village.” Radl knew this one as Klemtu. The town and its associated cannery were hidden from view behind long narrow Cone Island. Hidden from view was fine with Von Schönberg, who was not soothed by the false flag, and was by now feeling like the Nürnberg was being observed from all quarters, all the time. Remaining this close to enemy territory, this far along in their rampage, had the hair on the back of his neck constantly atingle.

Nürnberg rode on the swells that entered the Sound between Price and Athlone Islands. Von Schönberg would have given anything to be able to head straight out into the Pacific. “Still,” he said, “in for a pfennig… I intend to destroy the pulp mill at Ocean Falls before we head back offshore.”

Radl had looked at Von Schönberg like he was mad, then laughed. “Wonderful! You are afraid that you are being observed.” Radl scrunched down his neck and swiveled his eyes from side to side. “And in your next breath, you declare you must attack Ocean Falls, which is akin to sailing to attack Anyox, but with no element of surprise. On the way, we will pass a within 500 meters of a lighthouse in clear daylight. Then we will follow the passage past, nay, through New Bella Bella. It that point the channel becomes so narrow that a man standing on shore could hit the passing ships with a revolver. With an arrow!”

“Is there an alternate route?” asked Von Schönberg.

Radl was about to scoff, then looked at the chart, and paused to study it. “Actually there is a lesser used route to take us around Bella Bella. Troup Passage… Plenty of depth. And it is not any longer than the usual Inside Passage route, heading towards Ocean Falls. There is no reason to use it if you are headed to Vancouver, but from our current position, to Ocean Falls, it is actually…” Radl fussed with the navigational dividers “an 8 nautical mile short-cut. We still have to sail right past Ivory Island Lighthouse.”

“Does this lighthouse have a wireless?” asked Von Schönberg.

“Remarkably not,” replied Radl. “Few of them do here, unless they have a Dominion Wireless station co-located. I suppose we could steam past and wave. Wait, you are not suggesting we destroy the light are you!” Radl was horrified.

“There were schools of thought at naval college,” mused Von Schönberg, “as to whether a lighthouse is a purely civilian structure, and is forbidden from being bombarded, or if, in a time of war it becomes a military structure. Or alternately, it deserves an even higher degree of protection, like a hospital ship. The Laws of War do not specifically mention lighthouses.” Radl regarded Von Schönberg with a grave expression.

“I myself,” continued Von Schönberg, “am of the former opinion. Civilian. Unless they fire upon us. There must be a special place in Hell for a mariner who would destroy a lighthouse.” He shuddered. “Perhaps by the end of this war men will become so jaded and hateful that they would consider such an action. If so, I do not wish to live to see it.”

“Amen,” said Radl, looking much relieved.