The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

:( Oh golly. Well may I suggest looking at my latest AO3 story, 'Albion in Flames', if you really want to see how dark I can go? It's only in the early stages, but I can't see a civil war being light in any sense of the word!

If you are interested, I will send you a link tomorrow, when I am not on my phone...
So my worst premonitions about that story are true...
I had already felt who Arabella was too much like her aunt and Margaret Drummond was a bad influence but I still hoped who James would be able to make understand well the situation to his daughter...

About this story I will say only who I am really liking Duchess Mary

So my worst premonitions about that story are true...
I had already felt who Arabella was too much like her aunt and Margaret Drummond was a bad influence but I still hoped who James would be able to make understand well the situation to his daughter...

About this story I will say only who I am really liking Duchess Mary

Yeah, I like the Brandons too :)

Section CXXII - January 1523
York Place, January 1523

Wolsey looked up at the knock on the door.

“Come in,” he called silkily. To his surprise, the Duke of Suffolk entered.

“Your Grace. To what do I owe this pleasure?” he asked, spreading his hands in an avuncular gesture. Brandon grimaced and neatly side-stepped him.

“Spare me your act, Your Eminence. Henry might have liked that, once upon a time, but I never did and you know it.”

“As you wish,” Wolsey bowed his head and let the sharp tone slide, knowing Brandon was too impatient for many niceties to be exchanged between them, “What brings you to my door, My Lord Suffolk?”

“I saw Linacre riding in. I’m no fool, Your Eminence. I know full well he’s coming from the Tower and he’ll be coming straight here.”

“Whatever gives you that idea? Surely Sir Thomas could easily be reporting to His Majesty?”

Brandon scoffed.

“About Bessie Blount’s state of mind? I think not. We both know the King only recalled you from York last year because you’re good at dealing with the unpleasant matters or those that he cares nothing for. Bessie Blount falls into both those categories. No, Linacre will be making his report to you, I am sure of it. And as such, I thought it only wise to bring a couple of our colleagues from the Privy Council to join us in hearing his report.”

Brandon turned towards the door as he spoke, and right on cue, Thomas Lovell and Henry Norris entered, each of them dipping their heads in greeting.

“My Lord Cardinal.”

Wolsey had to hand it to Brandon. He’d handled that very smoothly. Eager to regain the initiative, he said nothing further, simply waved Lovell and Norris to take up a position by the window, and nodded to George Cavendish, who was fairly bristling with ire at how the older gentlemen had manipulated his master.

“Very well, George. You may as well show Sir Thomas up.”

George bowed deeply and swept from the room, his head high.

A few minutes later, Thomas Linacre was standing before them, twisting his hands.

“My Lords, gentlemen. I have been to the Tower and have examined Lady Tailboys in the presence of good Sir Thomas there,” he nodded towards Thomas Lovell, “Unfortunately, I fear my news may not be the most welcome. At least not to those of us who are loyal Englishmen and wish nothing more than to avenge His Highness the Duke of York.”

“She’s mad, then?” It was Norris who spoke, his voice blunt and harsh. He’d always been the type to speak his mind.

“Oh, yes. Utterly and completely.”

The directness of the statement took Brandon somewhat by surprise. He couldn’t help the bark of laughter that bubbled out of him.

“Well, there’s an end to it then,” he said bitterly, “The jezebel will be given a mercy she doesn’t deserve, one she certainly didn’t extend to our dear Prince, purely because she is mad and the law of merry England is too just to let her stand trial.”

“But that’s preposterous!” Norris spluttered, “The harlot murdered an innocent child! Her accomplice’s head is already rotting on a spike! Yet she is to live? How can this be?!”

“Sir Henry,” Wolsey cut in, “Need I remind you that the Privy Council has already overstepped its boundaries in sentencing Master Blount to death without the King’s say-so? At least in his case, we had the law on our side. To judicially execute Lady Tailboys, now that she has been declared mad by a doctor of the realm, would require a change in the law, and that, sir, would be a step too far for us to take without informing His Majesty. And given His Grace’s current behaviour, I think it is quite clear that he will tolerate no word of Bessie Blount.”

Norris grimaced, then turned to Brandon.

“My Lord Suffolk. Can’t you speak to the King? Surely, coming from his own brother…”

“I may be the King’s brother by marriage, Sir Henry, but I am his subject first. I am governed by his whims as much as the rest of you. And tell me true, is there a man in this room who would dare to bring up Bessie Blount before our King, given his current state of mind and that the fact that, as it stands, English law will not allow him to order the death of the woman who very nearly succeeded in destroying the Succession in one fell swoop?”

Brandon let his eyes linger on Norris’s pale, furious face, for a moment, then swept his eyes over the others.

The silence that stretched between them was his answer.

It sounds as if Bessie may accidentally fall from a castle rampart or accidentally have a red hot poker put up her rectum, as to not leave a mark, or accidentally have a pillow placed on her head that is accidentally held until she stops breathing, or have some other such accident.

Such accidents seem to be a common way of dealing with inconvenient legal situations.

Could they slip the law change into a pile of stuff for king Henry to sign without mentioning the Unspeakable name?

I wonder if Henry would be disappointed Master Blount is dead already?

It sounds as if Bessie may accidentally fall from a castle rampart or accidentally have a red hot poker put up her rectum, as to not leave a mark, or accidentally have a pillow placed on her head that is accidentally held until she stops breathing, or have some other such accident.

Such accidents seem to be a common way of dealing with inconvenient legal situations.

Oh no. Henry wouldn't go for that. If Bessie is going to die, it has to be public, to warn those who might wish to not to mess with the Tudors.

Could they slip the law change into a pile of stuff for king Henry to sign without mentioning the Unspeakable name?

I wonder if Henry would be disappointed Master Blount is dead already?

They probably could, but that would be nowhere near as much fun for me to write, would it, now? ;)

Last edited:
Section CXXIII - January 1523
Chateau d'Amboise, January 1523
The doors of Francis’s Presence Chamber at crashed open and a young couple, muffled to their ears against the cold, but nonetheless caked in mud, evaded the guards and flung themselves at the feet of the King and the Duchess of Alençon.

Francis started and started to sign to have them taken away, but the young girl began to speak before he could.

Votre Majesté, I beg you, grant us sanctuary here in France. I married the young man Your Grace sees here beside me without royal permission and now we have been forced to flee the English tyrant for fear of our very lives. I came here to you because I remembered that, in the happy days of my youth at Your Grace’s Court, as a favourite of our own dear Duchess, you were the only King who dared to stand against the dangerous King Henry. I also know that a true gentleman such as yourself would never refuse aid to a young couple in such distress, especially if the woman is with child, as I am.”

Here, the young woman flung wide the folds of her travelling cloak to prove her words with the broadness of her stomacher. Francis paused, raising an eyebrow in puzzlement.

“Forgive me, Mademoiselle, but I do not...”

“François!”
Marguerite chided, leaping to her feet, “Can you not tell by her voice alone? It is our own petite Boleynette, Annabelle!”

“Percy now, Madame,”
Anne corrected, rising and shaking out her trademark raven curls before taking Harry’s hand and presenting him to her former mistress, “This is my husband, Sir Henry Percy.”

Marguerite shook her head impatiently, folding Anne into her arms, “Percy, Boleyn, it matters not. You are still ma petite Annabelle, as you always were. You are still safe here. Is she not, brother?”

This last, she directed over her shoulder at Francis, who still sat on his throne as though stunned. Extricating herself from Marguerite, Anne made a deep curtsy to him, worry sparking for the first time in her dark Boleyn eyes.

Bonsoir, Votre Majesté.”

As he still remained unmoving, she ventured, “Was I right to come here? I only thought...”

“Mais non!”
Francis cut her off, “Of course you were right to come here. You are right. Unlike my brother the King of England, I was raised a gentleman. I would never turn away a woman in your condition if she asked for my assistance, least of all one I knew and loved so well. Marguerite is right, Cherie. You and your husband are safe here. Once you are fed and bathed and rested, I shall send some midwives to you. My wife’s own midwives.”

“Sire! You are too generous!”
Anne gasped, but Francis waved her off.

De rien. You deserve naught less, Annabelle. Be welcome back in France.” Coming to embrace her, he whispered, so that only she might hear, “It is good to have you home, ma fille.”

Man, a whole bunch of people with responsibility for controlling, let alone monitoring, access to the Presence Chamber at Chateau d'Amboise are gonna be in for a world of hurt before the next day dawns. Unknown persons reaching the royal presence. Tsk-tsk-tsk. Even if Francis and Marguerite forget initially about it in the excitement of Anne's return; the Steward or Chamberlain in charge is gonna flip. And if nothing is done, some/many enterprising noble(s) will gladly whisper in the King's ear by way of backstabbing to improve his own position in the royal household.

And I don't think I've gone on record about this yet, but Anne and Percy fleeing to France; bad, bad move for Team Boleyn and the Queen. Henry can only be poked so much before his forbearance reaches its limit. And fleeing to France smells rather treasonous. I don't think Henry will divorce Mary (nor remove her head), but she might find herself removed for a very long period to one of the houses that Catherine of Aragon got banished to: the More or Kimbolton Castle. With only periodic visits by Henry for the sole purpose of breeding another heir.

Man, a whole bunch of people with responsibility for controlling, let alone monitoring, access to the Presence Chamber at Chateau d'Amboise are gonna be in for a world of hurt before the next day dawns. Unknown persons reaching the royal presence. Tsk-tsk-tsk. Even if Francis and Marguerite forget initially about it in the excitement of Anne's return; the Steward or Chamberlain in charge is gonna flip. And if nothing is done, some/many enterprising noble(s) will gladly whisper in the King's ear by way of backstabbing to improve his own position in the royal household.

And I don't think I've gone on record about this yet, but Anne and Percy fleeing to France; bad, bad move for Team Boleyn and the Queen. Henry can only be poked so much before his forbearance reaches its limit. And fleeing to France smells rather treasonous. I don't think Henry will divorce Mary (nor remove her head), but she might find herself removed for a very long period to one of the houses that Catherine of Aragon got banished to: the More or Kimbolton Castle. With only periodic visits by Henry for the sole purpose of breeding another heir.

Oh yeah, I realise this could never really have happened,but I couldn't resist the drama of it. I'm going to say that Anne did actually admit to some of the guards she knew who she was - she has only been away about three years at this point, after all, some would still recognise her - before she got to the Presence Chamber, but asked them all not to announce her so that she could play the maiden in distress throwing herself on Francois's mercy... Which, Francois, of course, fell for immediately, because he loves masquerades as much as the next King...

But you're right about Henry. He is not going to be pleased when he finds out where Anne's gone. Marie will stay at Court, but it will take A LOT of support from the Brandons to keep her anywhere near Henry's good graces...

Last edited:
What if Arthur Prince of Wales lived past 15 years old? I've read where Henry Vll had planned that Henry(later Henry Vlll) would be Archbishop of Canterbury.

What if Arthur Prince of Wales lived past 15 years old? I've read where Henry Vll had planned that Henry(later Henry Vlll) would be Archbishop of Canterbury.

I don't think he would have done. It's too risky to set the only spare aside and ban him from marrying, at least until Arthur has kids of his own...

But there's plenty of threads and fanfics that cover that ground. More than happy to give you some links, if you want them... :)

I don't think he would have done. It's too risky to set the only spare aside and ban him from marrying, at least until Arthur has kids of his own...

But there's plenty of threads and fanfics that cover that ground. More than happy to give you some links, if you want them... :)

I’ll take some of those too thanks!

Wonder if King Henry might be tempted to expand his Normandy county a little army this ‘insult’ from the French King?

Brittany looks nice this time of year, and the ownership is already in the name...