The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

Thanks, this is great... Only either the eldest or the second daughter of Fitzroy need to be called Anne, after her maternal grandmother
Do you know, that name didn't even occur to me. I named the first one Christina for Hal's sister-in-law, because I see the four young royals/quasi-royals as quite close and I wanted a nod to Harry's Lancastrian title for their second daughter, so I named Blanche for the first Duchess of Lancaster. Eleanor is a Percy name, and Charles is for Brandon/Maggie's foster brother, Charles Howard. Gilbert for Gilbert Tailboys, of course, and well, Alice is just a name we don't get very often. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure Algernon and Kitty have an Anne among their daughters...

Do you know, that name didn't even occur to me. I named the first one Christina for Hal's sister-in-law, because I see the four young royals/quasi-royals as quite close and I wanted a nod to Harry's Lancastrian title for their second daughter, so I named Blanche for the first Duchess of Lancaster. Eleanor is a Percy name, and Charles is for Brandon/Maggie's foster brother, Charles Howard. Gilbert for Gilbert Tailboys, of course, and well, Alice is just a name we don't get very often. If it makes you feel better, I'm sure Algernon and Kitty have an Anne among their daughters...
Well, no way who their eldest daughter had another name

Joy's Legacy Cast (2013) - I
"The Year is 1535. Fresh from his triumphs in Scandinavia, Henry VIII returns home... to find that Lionel, Prince of Wales has chosen his own bride. 'Joy's Legacy', the masterful follow-up to 'Time of Grace', opens on the scandal that rocked 16th-Century Europe and very nearly destroyed the longest-running alliance in the world. Lionel, Dickon, Maria and Caitlin, as Henry's four eldest were affectionately known, were Tudors to their core, and this show seeks to emphasis that. Not a single key moment of their lives is left out, from Lionel's determination to marry Christina of Denmark to Maria's fiery defence of her relationship with Barnaby Fitzpatrick, barely a year before she died. We'll never know exactly how the key players of the period felt...but I'd venture to suggest that this costume drama comes pretty close. Not to be missed!" - Review of 'Joy's Legacy' on Frock Flicks, May 2013

Henry VIII - Sam Heughan

Henry VIII.jpg

Queen Marie - Carey Mulligan

Queen Marie.jpg

Lionel, Prince of Wales - Rupert Grint

Lionel.jpg

Christina of Denmark - Eliza Bennett

Christina of Denmark.jpg

Princess Mary - Sarah Bolger

Maria as Dauphine.jpg

Henri of France - Timothy Innes

Henri Valois.jpg

Dickon of York and Normandy - William Moseley

Dickon of York and Normandy.jpg

Beatrice of Portugal - Bruna Marquezine

Beatrice, Duchess of York and Normandy.jpg

Anne Cecil - Anna Popplewell

Anne Cecil.png

Minette - Amelia Gethin

Minette.jpg

Last edited:
Joy's Legacy Cast (2013) - II
Caitlin, Queen of Scotland - Eloise Smyth

Caitlin.jpg

James V of Scotland - Ewan McGregor

James V.jpg

Jacquetta - Tamzin Merchant

Jacquetta.jpg

Hal Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset - Alexander Ludwig

Hal Fitzroy.jpg

Maggie Percy, Duchess of Richmond and Somerset- Katie McGrath

Maggie Percy.jpg

Grace Fitzroy, Baroness of Upper Ossory - Amber Marshall

Grace Fitzroy.jpg

Edmund Boleyn - Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Edmund Boleyn.jpg

Diane de Poitiers - Helen McCrory

Diane de Poiters.jpg

Ok but why do period dramas always give Iberian characters black hair and olive skin... (not shading you btw mostly The Tudors) like say what you want about The Spanish Princess but at least they cast someone with fair skin and reddish hair to play Katherine of Aragon! But I do love this casting. Carey Mulligan is my GIRL.

Ok but why do period dramas always give Iberian characters black hair and olive skin... (not shading you btw mostly The Tudors) like say what you want about The Spanish Princess but at least they cast someone with fair skin and reddish hair to play Katherine of Aragon! But I do love this casting. Carey Mulligan is my GIRL.

But then they give her mother dark hair and say that she tortured Juana....

Oh no I think Beatrice is pretty too, I was talking more about how Dickon looks..
Fair. He is rather handsome, isn't he? I originally cast someone dark as Dickon and then remembered the prophecy had said he would be blonde - and it fitted Carey Mulligan's colouring better anyway, so William it was.

I know, I know. But I wanted the contrast between Beatrice, Dickon, Anne Cecil and Minette. The girls' colouring is something of a hint as to how well Dickon gets on with them. The fairer they are, the better the two get on...

A quick reminder that, while this TL is ending today, the fun continues over on my new TL, 'A Queen Twice Over' Hope to see you join me to follow Mary Tudor through the vagaries of being Queen of France to both Louis and Francis. :) Thanks for coming along for the ride with Henry and Marie :)

Last edited:
Bibliography - The Books Every TTL Scholar of the Period Must Have
‘“The Thrice-Titled Dynasty”: The Boleyns of Ormonde, Pembroke and Upper Ossory’ by Rachel Wincraft

‘“Make No Windows into My Lady’s Soul”: Religion in the Tudor Empire, 1500-1600’ by Graham Banworth

‘Christina: The Queen England Was Never Meant to Have’ by Sarah Rose

‘“The Fruitless Pomegranate”: Maria Tudor 1516-1558’ by Eoin Peniston

‘Taking Root: The first Century of the Tudor dynasty: 1485-1575’ by Connor FitzSutton

‘“England's Second Conqueror”: A Life of Henry VIII, 1491-1551' by Amelia Morris

‘“Rosebuds of Normandy”: The Loves and Bastards of Richard of York and Normandy’ by Susanna Filrein

‘“The Gall In The Crown”: The Deaths and Final Illnesses of the House of Tudor, 1550-1586’ by Robert Greenhaigh

‘“Lions Rampant”: The Campaigns of Henry VIII, 1520-1540’ by Alexander Hickman

You can count upon me among to watch it, sure!
Thanks! :)

Oh and @Ogrebear I don't think I will be able to put this over on 'Finished Scenarios'. First post has to be 2000 words, and the opening chapter is too powerful on its own for me to want to edit it differently :( But I shall leave the link in my signature for people to follow if they're interested :)

Incidentally, anyone want to guess which of my history lecturers got a cameo as a scholar ITTL? There are three where I've borrowed/adapted either the first name or surname and one where I've just lifted the name outright. I'll PM you and let you know if you're right if you're curious :)