The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Fully Patched Q-BAM as of 2023/08/23

sorry to be so petty, but every single "updated" version of the basemap is missing TONS of patches, and they always reintroduce mistakes that were fixed over a year ago

so... here's my attempt to properly compile everything again

CHANGES:
-Added ALL the patches
-Added a small border for the new province in Maguindanao
-Updated the English 2nd/3rd level divisions (to the best of my ability)
-Updated the Icelandic municipalities
-Changed the coastline colour to a lighter blue (#223B85)
-Updated the way seasonal lakes are shown
-Removed the seasonal lakes from the administrative division map (too much clutter)
-Minor fixes (so many miscoloured pixels...)

NOTES:
-Ethiopia's new regions are missing, can't find borders for them
-The 2nd level borders in Alberta and parts of Russia are not finished yet, so if anyone's up to the task to complete them go ahead
-Baiyang needs to be added in China as a county
-There's a couple of new Mexican municipalities that need to be added

EDIT: some weird stuff was happening to the border around the map, it should be fixed now
EDIT 2: accidentally omitted the seasonal lakes from the blank map, fixed now

Last edited:
Fully Patched Q-BAM as of 2023/08/23

sorry to be so petty, but every single "updated" version of the basemap is missing TONS of patches, and they always reintroduce mistakes that were fixed over a year ago

so... here's my attempt to properly compile everything again

CHANGES:
-Added ALL the patches
-Added a small border for the new province in Maguindanao
-Updated the English 2nd/3rd level divisions (to the best of my ability)
-Updated the Icelandic municipalities
-Changed the coastline colour to a lighter blue (#223B85)
-Updated the way seasonal lakes are shown
-Removed the seasonal lakes from the administrative division map (too much clutter)
-Minor fixes (so many miscoloured pixels...)

NOTES:
-The 2nd level borders in Alberta and parts of Russia are not finished yet, so if anyone's up to the task to complete them go ahead
-Baiyang needs to be added in China as a county
-There's a couple of new Mexican municipalities that need to be added

EDIT: some weird stuff was happening to the border around the map, it should be fixed now
EDIT 2: accidentally omitted the seasonal lakes from the blank map, fixed now
cool but you added Norway Ostlandet which patch's author said don't add it because its not completed and then you removed Russian patches which is most of it completed. Also why Turkey's northern provinces' lower administrative borders cleared? Then there is Azerbaijan, Nagarno Karabakh, Transnistria with old patches. Also lower Dnieper Lake disappears.

cool but you added Norway Ostlandet which patch's author said don't add it because its not completed and then you removed Russian patches which is most of it completed. Also why Turkey's northern provinces' lower administrative borders cleared? Then there is Azerbaijan, Nagarno Karabakh, Transnistria with old patches. Also lower Dnieper Lake disappears.
The 'Lower Dnieper Lake' (Kakhovka Reservoir) disappeared because the dam was blown up.

NOTES:
Map_of_zones_of_Ethiopia.svg

this map was lasted updated in 2021 lol, it's missing the two states created this year
All the zones and woredas in what's the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples' Region in that map south of Wolayita (inclusive) are now part of the South Ethiopia Region.

I found these two some time ago. They fit almost perfectly but not quite. It looks like the projection is different. I was wandering if anyone knew how to readjust that. I tried scaling them but that doesn't do the trick.
6WRdZiT.png

u6y0osv.png

I found these two some time ago. They fit almost perfectly but not quite. It looks like the projection is different. I was wandering if anyone knew how to readjust that. I tried scaling them but that doesn't do the trick.
6WRdZiT.png

u6y0osv.png
If I'm guessing correctly, the reason for the mis-alignment may be the fundamental mis-alignment in all Q-BAMs that the R-QBAM project aims to fix.

If I'm guessing correctly, the reason for the mis-alignment may be the fundamental mis-alignment in all Q-BAMs that the R-QBAM project aims to fix.
Right - these are from the R-QBAM map thread and were made to fit that map specifically. Q-BAM is distorted in a lot of areas, so if you want to get these maps to be compatible with QBAM perfectly, I'd imagine you have to go in there and tinker with everything on a pixel-by-pixel basis.

I mean, is there a Robinson projection map the size of 8K-BAM? (I hope you understood me correctly).
Oh sorry I read as you are asking the projection of QBAM. As for your question, idk if there is one but you can re-project 8K-BAM to Robinson by using G-Projector program by NASA. Though borders probably won't be nice and clear. Hope this helps.

Magadan Oblast.png

Patched Magadan, finally. Trying to get back to patching Russia again since I would like to make a modern history qbam

That said I've got a bit of an issue I'd like to ask you guys about
Upper Manchuria.png

Manchuria is on the north eastern section of the qbam. This means that there is a level of curvature on the map. However, this specific part of China and maybe Mongolia doesn't seem to be curved. Is this something I should patch?