The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Iori, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Wendell Wendell

On the borderpool, the Italian borders should be slightly adjusted in the Province of Udine to reflect the fact that its three northeastern comuni were only acquired in 1919.

2. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

We need to make a separate thread for the borderpool

3. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Back to the current QBAM, has anyone done a QBAM with parallels and meridians? Because I can imagine that being very helpful

Shaymin0000 likes this.
  4. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

Miner likes this.
  5. Drex Alférez de caballería

Hey, so that thread (Borderpool Thread) was placed in the wrong place and was locked. Don't worry, I've done it here.

6. wzspring Member

I find a Robinson projection map from other sauce, it can be helpful.
    https://berto.me/world-elevation-map.html
    and here is the NASA satelite map (Robinson projection, too, and slightly small than qbam map)

Yellow River need redrawing from Ninxing downward compared with it.
    plus South-Four Lakes, Hong Ze Lake and Gua You lake isn't human built resevoirs, but they did't exist from the beginning of history, either. so they were not supposed to appare on a ancient history map. They did't exit in and before the year 741. The Yellow River flooded every several centuries or even decades (long story), and if the water flow into some rather low area they filled the area and form a lake. Gao Yao and Hong Ze Lake formed this way.
    Gao You Lake did't exist on a 1582 map, Hong Ze Lake and South Four Lake existed, but only half its present area.
    Hong Ze lake exited on a 1208 map, but too small to display on a world scale map.
    Po Yang and Tung Ting laked used to be larger half a century ago, and expands and shrinks in the course of time. Tai Lake did't change much.
    Many lakes on the Tibet platau did't exit in history, and I can't figure out how they formed.

river-map-for-history-use.png

Here is my version of the qbam lake map for history use (under construsction), with large Areal Sea, Chad lake, Tung Ting Lake, Po Yang Lake, and without narrow lakes like those on Dinepper. I just delete all the minor lakes i did't bother to figure out since when did it exit. and I couldn't even if I would like to, because I can only get a set of super detailed historical atlas of every dynasties of my own county, that is China.

and I redraw the Huai River with its course to the sea before the Hong Ze lake formed, that is 800 or 1000 years ago. The Yellow river "robed" its river route near the river mouth in 1129 and "return" to north in 1855. so the course of Yellow river on present day map is correct after 1855, and about correct (about 50 to 100 kilometers too south) before 1129.

I edited the Lena river with sourse near the big lake as main sourse, too. and the Zanbisi river.

Netherlands coastline is as before 1920. hadn't find a better color for mordern coastline.

Suiz canal is on the map for reference. I planed to make my version of 1492 map with emphasize on world trade, displaying sea road discovered in 1497 and old "Silk road", and more recent sea route through the Suiz Canal.

I use an earlier version of qbam map for staring point, (because the latest version have way too many lakes on lake, I had to figure out how a border or a river cross this lake), but have taken the resent united states river patch into account. I suppose the earlier version qbam map is enough for general use.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Miranda Brawner, Frank Hart and Miner like this.
  7. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Patches and current progress
    Patches_5.png
    Progress Qbam.png

8. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Egypt governorates and markazes
    Egypt.png

Sharklord1, Drex, Klime and 4 others like this.
  9. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Constituencies of Namibia
    Southwest_Africa.png

10. BainTheCool Well-Known Member

I don't really like the fact that on the new patch places like Gibraltar and other tiny exclaves are not visible anymore besides the 1 pixel borders, it kind of ruins the point of showing them in the first place and it would also mean that places like the Vatican or Monaco should be removed as well just for the sake of consistency

Frank Hart, Thon Taddeo and Miner like this.
  11. Drex Alférez de caballería

Using simple math, a pixel of the Q-BAM roughly equals to 58 square kilometers. Anything smaller than that theroetically shouldn't be shown as a white pixel. Anyhow we already had this single-pixel border case with Turkey's exclave in Syria.

12. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Districts of Zambia (Some are split and I couldn't find a map of them)
    Southwest_Africa.png

Sharklord1, Drex, Miner and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Districts of Mozambique
    East_Africa.png

Shaymin0000, Drex, Sharklord1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Fjana Mapper, historian and IDK what more...

Edited inner borders in Czechia

Attached Files:

ST15RM and Miner like this.
  15. wzspring Member

Yellow River and Yangtze River don't look right comparing with other Robinson projection map, I'll redraw it, and some province borders accordingly.
    (Yangtze River is too north in Hubei province, and Yellow River too north in Qinghai, Henan and Shandong provinces,

QQ截图20180920203830.jpg

and the old version of qbam map I picked up to make no-modern-reservior qbam river map have too fewer lakes on it, and I did't add enough. Here is qbam river map for historical use with more lakes on it.

qbam-river-map.png
    List of some original map I used:
    major rivers mostly picked from Bob Hop's qbam river 3.0 map, (It's the most detailed river map in the qbam soceity, )
    lakes mostly from current version of qbam political map,
    River Po, Tiber, Odar and some others from ndeignacio's Africa + non-russian Europe river patch, (let me know if this map updated)
    US rivers from the US river patch.

and I redrawed the Green River (tribute of Colorado River)

my plan for updating:
    redraw Yellow River, Yangtze River, Huai River, add Grand Canel,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Sharklord1 and Bob Hope like this.
  16. Masked Grizzly Well-Known Member

Has anyone managed to do a Q-BAM map featuring an accurate outline of the Chad Basin?

Wendell likes this.
  17. Wendell Wendell

WE need a drainage basin Qbam in general.

18. Tuque Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver

Patched the Baltic coastline from the Danish border to the Finnish border. I'll be moving on to Finland itself in the next couple days. Can't wait to fix Åland, honestly.

Baltic Coastline and Lakes.png

I know my patches screw with the existing political borders you guys have worked so hard on. All I can say is I try to make my patches as geographically accurate as possible!

Shaymin0000, Sharklord1, Drex and 4 others like this.
  19. Tuque Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver

Here's a patch for the Finnish coast and lakes in the vicinity of Tampere. I may do the remainder of the Finnish lakes, but it seems time consuming...
    Finland Patch Partial.png

Drex, Bennett, Shaymin0000 and 2 others like this.
  20. Drex Alférez de caballería

Patched half of Australia, mostly the coast and added dry lakes (if Eyre's there why not the others?)

upload_2018-10-25_9-18-23.png