The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Iori, Nov 23, 2011.

1. wzspring Member

I redrawed major Chinese rivers and subdivisions, and North Asian rivers, and Hulun lake, Xingkai lake in Northeast China, and moved China major lakes to its right place, except Hongze and Gaoyou lake.
    I copy Chinese province border from 8K-bam map by convert it to Robinson projection using G Projector, and then copy it to qbam.

asian-river.png

eastern part of robinson version 8k-bam map (I call it 8q-bam) looks like this
    robinson-8k-bam.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    pixlation, Miner, Drex and 2 others like this.
  2. Thanksforallthefish King of Dolphins

Hi! Can someone please link me to the latest version of Argentina, with the Buenos Aires partidos?

3. Drex Alférez de caballería

If this could be transformed into a full blank map including second level subdivisions it'd be awesome.

4. Irkentier New Member

A couple ideas for the borderpool

The borders of pre-USA Las Californias
    The Connecticut River (home of many border disputes in the 1600s and 1700s)
    Potentially the Hudson River

5. Drex Alférez de caballería

There's a river Q-BAM, these could go there so we don't saturate the borderpool with borders than can easily be found elsewhere.

6. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Would the river map still be accurate, though?

7. Drex Alférez de caballería

It hasn't been improved for a long time, so not, at least regarding coastlines. I don't think there's a necessity for it to have perfect coastlines (thought it would be preferable) as rivers can just be cut from it and pasted somwhere else.

8. wzspring Member

He means qbam border pool thread. I have corrected rivers in China and North Asia, and Tuque corrected United States rivers. and I checked rivers otherwhere, and they don't need much modifing.

8q-bam map with subdivision looks like this. I cut the map into two pieces (with piece-together overlaps) to fit image size limit. Some area are not readable because 2nd level borders and small lakes crumbled together.

Note:
    Coastline and national borders in Africa agreed nearly perfectly well, but Coastline and national border in East Asia and North Asia miss by some 2 or 3 degrees due to projection convertion and other round ups add up, the more near the four corners the more disagreement.

8q-bam-west.png

8q-bam-map-east.png

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  9. wzspring Member

I redrawed Chinese subdivision (the seconed time), plus 2nd level subdivsion of Heibei and Heinan, and some sub-1st level borders in Inner Mongolia and Southeast China.
    Chinese-subdivision.png

ST15RM and Miner like this.
  10. Frank Hart When Your Hometown Doesn't Feel Like Home

Could I get a q-bam map, showing the Mackenzie River Watershed, as well as the Rio Grande, San Antonio, Guadalupe, Brazos and both Colorado Rivers' (Texas, US/Mexico) watersheds?

Edit: And the Continental Divide if possible; I would really appreciate that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. Sharklord1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to start working on Indonesia as I do Mongolia.

12. Kolafloro Guardian of the Sky and Sea

Well, I'll redo the Baltic plus surrounding areas...

13. wzspring Member

Version b1 of qbam river map for history use. (I reset the version number because I abandoned many previous river lines and draw it afresh according to new resource.) Most rivers copyed from here: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/30479.
    Finally get Tarim river right, and put Lob Nor on the map.
    add some national borders on water, some are disputable.
    qbam river map version B1 updated 2018-11-6.png
    Lakes have been corrected: Xingkai Lake, Hulun Lake, "twin-lakes" in Qinghai province, Qinghai Lake, and some lakes in Tibet I did'nt remeber its English spell.
    Lakes that need futher updating: Dong Ting Lake, Poyang Lake, Nansi Lake, Hongze Lake, Chao Lake, some other lakes in Tibet

Miner, felixs and Bennett like this.
  14. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Hate to say it, but you're using the outdated base map:

[​IMG]

15. felixs Member

Great work but i have to say in Denmark, Falster island under Zealand looks a little wrong.

16. wzspring Member

Not my fault, I just can't get a current version blank map without minor lakes, reservoirs and ponds to be used as base map.
    I know the earlier version I picked up is a little outdated, but it's recent enough to be used as background, since the coastlines and most national borders agreed well with NASA Robinson projection map, and I have copied major lakes I did't revise or delete from current version. So using outdated base map don't matter much. And I have made sure river line on my map in the same color, you can extract it and place it on a different base map if you don't like the one I used, and copy the Chinese lakes too, and regard the coastlines and national borders as only refrence.

17. Drex Alférez de caballería

Tbh I don't get this part. Small lakes and reservoirs can be used as a reference to place rivers as many are related to them. In case they seem to be wrong they can be moved slightly or have their shape changed.

felixs likes this.
  18. BainTheCool Well-Known Member

So uh, as far as I can tell Sandy Island is still on Q-BAM, it should definitely be removed.

sandyisland.png
    sandyislandr.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Island,_New_Caledonia

TL;DR non-existent island that appeared on Google Maps until 2012, considering this thread is from 2011 it makes sense it's there. Still kinda surprising no one removed it yet though.

Imperator Frank, felixs and Miner like this.
  19. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Does anyone have a Qbam of 1922?

20. Michigan Mapper Well-Known Member