The Marriage of the Century - A Burgundian Timeline

Oh, okay, tha-that’s cool I m-mean there’s nothing wrong with a Yorkist Victory. Any Lancastrian descendants? E.g the Stafford’s?
Because my definition of Lancastrian is very, very lose , anyone with Lancastrian blood and little to no Yorkist blood is an honorary Lancastrian in my opinion.

I'm nominating this for the Turtledove this year, I'm torn between this and several others, but this one has been running for quite awhile..

Edit: Apparently it is medieval, so I'm planning on nominating if they have turtledoves for those..

Last edited:
I'm nominating this for the Turtledove this year, I'm torn between this and several others, but this one has been running for quite awhile..

Edit: Apparently it is medieval, so I'm planning on nominating if they have turtledoves for those..
*makes squeaky noises while flailing around like a lunatic* I did not see that coming! I'm so honored, I might start crying.

Deleted member 147978

I'm surprised that this TL is still continuing.
For a moment, I thought it was dead.

Keep up the good work anyhow, @BlueFlowwer.

PS: Watched and liked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 44 - Catherine of Aragon 1506-18
Chapter 44 – Catherine of Aragon – 1505-1518

Catherine’s queenship began with two battles. A revolt by certain english nobles and an infidelity affair by her husband, both intertwined with each other.

Royal bastards and cheating kings were nothing new to her, having known of her father’s illegitimate children, Alonso, Juana and Maria, and her mother’s jealous rages. However, unlike her older sister, Juana, Catherine moulded her reaction upon her other sister Ana, duchess of Burgundy, who frequently corresponded with her. Ana was aware of her husband’s occasionally straying eyes and particularly his relationship with Charles of Guelders, who might have been his lifelong lover. The duchess chose to look the other way in those regards, but never permitted anyone to diminish her position as rightful consort. Her advice to her youngest sister was to do the same. While Catherine had nothing to fear from the second of Richard’s three mistresses, the first one proved to be a bigger problem. The lady in question would be Anne Grey, daughter of the Earl of Kent. That, coupled with Richard’s ambitions for a stronger royal power and restrictions of the noble’s privileges, would be the tinderbox that set of a revolt that lasted almost a year.

Catherine would prove to be just the queen England needed in a conflict like this.

With the damages that the years of the Wars between Lancaster and York had left in the country had largely healed, Richard IV were firmly determined to prevent any similar loss in sovereign authority. The early years of monarchies in the dawning years of the 16th century saw a strengthening in power and curtailing of nobles in the Iberian kingdoms and others. England was no different. Richard had inherited several things from his late uncle John II of Portugal, one was the determined belief in his own sovereignty as well as the indomitable resolve to carry it out fully. Catherine, whose parents had unified their kingdoms, conquered Granada, and opened Spain to the New World, would be his best partner in the mission. Operating within the limits and unlimited lines of queenship she maintained communications through her ladies, diplomatic networks in and outside of England, always keeping her husband’s objective in mind.

Queen Catherine of England

1634730167611.png

The rebel forces were spearheaded by some malcontent nobles, including Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham, who sought to prevent the king from overreaching and Richard Grey, 3rd Earl of Kent, the brother of Anne Grey, whom the king had taken liberties with. Tensions started in March of 1506 when the king presided over parliament and put forth the motion of restrictions of noble privileges. Richard sought to diminish the number of men at arms that nobles could have, no doubt to prevent large scale private armies, and the increasing use of Justices of Peace to curtail the corruption of noble powers throughout England.

Richard also created a separate council, the Court of the Star Chamber. It would become one of the king’s most efficient ways to establish justice and power over those that the regular council could not touch. While the court would become, on several occasions, a tool of abuse and oppression in later years, especially during the reigns of Richard’s successors, during his time it stood as an honourable and flexible way for petitioners to seek their causes.

These measures did not suit everyone in the nobility, especially those with Woodville blood, as Buckingham and Kent who had lost some favour after Edward IV died. King Richard III had initially been kind to his nieces, but his heart had hardened after a few years. Many attributed this change to Queen Joanna’s influence, who sought to protect the rights of her own children against any pretenders. Anne of York had most likely ended as a bride of Christ to prevent anyone from using her claim and Catherine had been married of to a staunch supporter. Elizabeth of York had died long ago in Portugal, leaving two harmless daughters far away.

Despite of his plans, Richard had firm supporters in parliament and amongst the merchants and working classes and the church. Another was in the form of his brother, John, Duke of York and his wife, Margaret of Brittany. Despite the vast wealth and lands they had inherited and been given; both knew that a strong monarchy was the only reasonable action. Neither duke or duchess would frequent court very much in their lives and despite being the second lady in England, Margaret would keep the traditional courtier’s role at arm’s length, preferring to stay in her residences away from London, meeting with the king and queen at their always traveling life instead.

Upon a cold, clear sky – The life of John and Margaret, Duke and Duchess of York – Anne-Mary Levynn

During the ensuing skirmishes and quarrels between the crown and the members of the nobility that rebelled against the crown during the years 1506-7 Catherine had her hands full. While the king was frequently in the field with his soldiers, she safeguarded the city of London, the heart of royal power. Catherine issued orders to city magistrates, hired mercenaries from the Low Countries, ensured that the english navy patrolled the coasts to cut of supplies and aid to the rebellious areas, cajoled and persuaded important nobles to fight on the crowns behalf, especially the whole Howard Family became fiercely loyal to the monarchs. She also kept a eye on the Scottish borders and used her eldest daughters hand, Joanna of York, as a means to make another alliance with King James IV’s son and heir, James, Duke of Rothesay.

It would be in January of 1507 that Catherine won her grandest success. In the early morning of the 16th, she was delivered of her heart’s desire. A healthy son arrived in the palace of Westminster. The Queen had given England a heir to the throne. Royal orders raced swiftly from the palace to many different places. All the church bells in London would toll for three days in celebrations, and to the citizens of London the baby’s birth were a proof that the King’s cause was righteous.

The rebellion would dwindle down over the winter and in spring of March, the king returned to London in a splendid victory process. Catherine, in crimson velvet, cloth of gold and a rich hermine-lined mantle received him on the steps of St Paul’s Cathedral. King Richard lifted his three month old son up to the public, causing a great rejoicing.

Richard IV would have another child born in 1507, a daughter named Anne, in February. The mother would be Lady Anne Grey, his first mistress. While her mother would fade into the backdrop of history, Anne Fitzroy would become a prominent character for the rest of the 16th century England.

Catherine and Richard would go on to have more children, Edmund in 1508, John in 1511, Thomas in 1515 and Mary in 1517. The house of York would last for generations more.

I finally got off my ass and finished this chapter. If the details seems a little airy, that's because I decided to skip working them out and just wrote something else.
*insert jazz hands here*

Ooh wonderful chapter! It is nice to see Catherine handle her position as Queen so well, a role she was born for.
Isn't it? It's so theraputic to write this. She's just getting warmed up, I will make more details about her being a awesome queen later, I really needed to get this pain in the ass chapter finished. But she has four sons and she's bulletproof, so happy times ahead! 🥳