The Mandala Stands Strong: An Ancient Timeline.

What do you think will happen with Alexander the Great?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Macedonian empire now just seems too big to be hold on to power without freindly neighbors, there is a good chance it gets divided and broken up

Nepal could take up areas till Afghanistan like OTL Mauryans did,

Chapter 25: Intrigue

Chapter 25: Intrigue

255 BCE

Girvan sighed as he looked at the Arrakia people look at him cluelessly as he tried to make his point across. He and his crew had become stranded in this new strange land for about 8 years if he wasn’t mistaken, and the entire tribes had almost killed him and his crew of 20 men!

Well that was a moot point anyways, 7 of his men were already dead to the wilds of this new land which he had named Daksera which roughly translated to be ‘Southern Tribes’. Rather succinct and to the point, Girvan thought idly as he rubbed his beard and threw a stone over into the seas. The tribe leader had held him hostage, alongside his crew. He could only longingly look over into the ocean, thinking about home and family; there were guards all around him, eyeing him warily to actually even try to build a boat back to the Easstern Islands and then to Nepala.

He sighed and looked towards his right side and saw the young man fumble with the small ball in his hands. “Fejo, you still haven’t gotten used to the ball, even after 9 winters I see.”

Girvan’s heavy Arrakian accent was pretty hard to understand for the people around here, however Fejo was his constant companion, and he understood his words pretty handily. “Ah, yes, the gadgets you brought in your ship, are marvelous, still astound me to this day!”

“Some thing anyways……all my weapons, my swords, clubs, Kukri and axes were taken by your father, Fejo!” Girvan muttered.

“Ah yes.” Fejo smiled and rubbed his back slightly sheepishly. “My father is the tribe leader after all; weapons in the hands of your mates would have been troublesome to explain to the elders!”

“Even after 9 years where you have used us as free labour and free intellectuals for your tribe’s own betterment?” Girvan muttered back. “I think we have proven ourselves to the elders a long time ago!”

“Ah perhaps.” The twenty something Arakkian stated. “However you realize how obstinate my father and the elders are, don’t you? I don’t have high hopes.”

“Neither do I truth be told.” Girvan murmured as he shook his head and looked longingly at the horizon again. Fejo sighed and looked at his eye lines and said “You aren’t going to be able to go back to your home Girvan, it may sound cruel, but that is the harsh truth.”

“I do realize that fact my only friend in this gods forsaken land.” Girvan replied as Fejo frowned slightly. “I miss my intended, that’s all, and the life I dreamed to have with her.”

“Ah yes, I had heard about this from one of your shipmates.” Fejo murmured. “I heard you were to go to the……..eastern islands? To gain riches and come back to ask her hand, if I am not mistaken?”

“I seriously need to ask Hari to shut his trap.” Girvan muttered angrily as he huffed and nodded slowly as Fejo smiled slightly, though it was sanguine largely.

“Ah come on Girvan! I am the future Chieftain of my tribe! Teach me the ways of your homeland, they fascinate me a lot!” Fejo blustered in an attempt to make Girvan cheery.

Girvan looked at Fejo with calculating eyes before he smiled and swung his feet on the sand bank and looked at Fejo. “Yes, you are right. I have nothing else good enough to do anyways. Let me tell you about Siddhartha Gautama, the progenitor of my sovereign and king of the Shakya Dynasty……..”

And history changed forever.

King Yuvan I was currently pinching his thumb in irritation as he looked at the new Emperor of the Makedonian Empire, his something removed cousin from his maternal side. The Makedonian and the Nepala Mandala were allies, through blood and through diplomacy, however this new Emperor of the Makedonian Empire, was a little too boisterous for him to like.

Demetrius I of the Makedonian Empire was very much a boisterous man as he laughed his way through the Durbar in this state visit that he had made after he had been inspecting the Indian provinces of his empire.

“Cousin! You rule over quite the state!” Demetrius I laughed. Yuvan I was having half the mind to strangle the grandson of Alexander IV, a very respected monarch in Nepala, and he was pinching into his hands to stop himself from doing anything of the such.

“Cousin Demetrius, please I implore you to be quiet, the people here are very prone to anger with such high voices!”

“Ah I am sorry cousin Yuvan!” Demetrius I boomed much to Yuvan’s jarring irritation.

“Ah cousin, no need for irritation!” Demetrius I chuckled. “I have an offer for you cousin!”

The 29 year old High King of Nepala looked at his cousin with some amount of trepidation as he asked “What is this offer?”

“I have ears everywhere where my allies go my friend!” Demetrius I murmured in a smaller voice. “My spies bring me news about the Yarlung Kingdom in the north of the mountains, they say that the Yarlung’s are vying to become sovereign again and are reaching towards the ZhangZhung Kingdom to become independent.”

“That’s ridiculous.” Yuvan I stated with a frown. “My wife is a ZhangZhung Princess, and she would know this!”

“How do you know that?” Demetrius I replied with a whisper. “Political intrigues have known to……throw family members under the proverbial cliff.”

Yuvan I clicked his tongue and asked “Assuming this is even true cousin, what have you to gain through this information pass?”

“Ah, have you not seen the map of my empire, cousin?” Demetrius I asked rhetorically. “My empire is large, and extends across the known world. I need a permanent ally on my borders. I need you, my ally, to be stable in my borders. Especially since your state controls the mountains of the Indus Valley.”

“Ah……” Yuvan I frowned. He quirked his eyebrows before closing them and pressing his fingers slightly to this eyes before opening them and stating “Fine, cousin, I will look into the matter. But for now, we continue our tour and let this talk drop.”

“Very well cousin.”

Chogda Yarleng sighed as he read the report from the frontiers. He needed the plan to go smoothly. The ZhangZhung King had presented his agreement to the plan, and the need to secure independence from the Nepala Mandala was now, when the new king was focused on naval matters and naval parity than the army. The passes would be quickly secured, and then defeat the Nepala army in chokepoints, and then from a position of height and strength, negotiate a favorable peace.

The Yarlung Kingdom needed this, the Tibetans needed this. They hadn’t fought against the Chinese to become the lapdogs of the Nepalese towards the south! His blood burned as he remembered the humiliations that his father’s army had suffered in that war with the Qin Dynasty, and how the Nepalese had swooped in and claimed ‘victory’ as their own. The lust for revenge was strong. An envoy had been sent to the Qin Dynasty as well. They would be very much amenable to a buffer between them and the Nepalese as well, wouldn’t they?

The Qin Emperor looked at the offer presented to him by the Yarlung messenger and smiled. “Well well well, looks like the Tibetans crawled back to us then? Welli will be happy to oblige then. Send a message stating that I accept!”

Ahh! This political see-sawing just grates on my nerves. Hoping that Nepal just outright annexes or at least dismembers the Yarlung kingdom.

Also, I have been thinking this for a while; why haven't the subsequent Maharajas of the Mandala seeked to elevate themselves to imperial status ? They can easily do so without any challenge.

Ahh! This political see-sawing just grates on my nerves. Hoping that Nepal just outright annexes or at least dismembers the Yarlung kingdom.

Also, I have been thinking this for a while; why haven't the subsequent Maharajas of the Mandala seeked to elevate themselves to imperial status ? They can easily do so without any challenge.
Unless they want outright rebellion from the Rajahs? The imperial system doesn't work in the Mandala like confederation. It's already plenty centralized enough. Besides, no empires last forever. The Mandala will fall a few centuries down the lane. After that I will continue the TL with successor states and it' legacy to modern day.

Sneakpeek
Sneakpeek

“So this is called…….Buddhism?”

“Yes. Named after the man himself, back in my home.”

“…….You know I still cant let you and your mates go back, even though I am now the leader of the tribe? It would instigate rebellions!”

“I do know that. And after staying here for 20 years or so, I guess I am used to it by this point, even though I miss my family and friends. Your people are not the best in my brutally honest opinion, however, you and your family are fine.”

“Is that a compliment or an insult?”

“Take of it what you will.”

“I could never understand you properly in these cases. Anyways, so are you sure, I have actually mastered the principles of the Buddha?”

“Yes, the King would have been proud to see a foreigner know the knowledge of his forbearer so nicely and accurately.”

“These principles……just resonate with me, you know?”

“I can tell.”

“Of course you can, you have been my teacher for these past 20 years. By the spirits, I even know how to speak Khas Kura now, because you could not translate things properly in my language to teach me the principles of the Buddha. If I went to your lands, I am sure I could converse with anyone expertly in my opinion.”

“Sure you can…….most probably, I don’t know. Yo9ur grammar is still shaky.”

“Is not.”

“Whose the native Khas Kura speaker here?”

“……You.”

“So?”

“I get it, don’t rub it in………………….Thanks for teaching me about Dharma old man.”

“No problem.”

“Thanks.”

Seems like some kingdom is interested in Buddhism, though wouldn't they be more interested in Pali and Sanskrit over Khas Kura ?

Uh, because the man teaching them doesn't know sanskrit? After all the man is a sailor and not a scholar.
Then how exactly is the sailor speaking Khas Kura, a language in inlands of the subcontinent and not in the ports, if he is teaching a a non sanskrit indian language, it would be Tamil, Gujarati or Bengali, or any languages in the coast, as these are the people who where primarily engaged in maritime trade

Then how exactly is the sailor speaking Khas Kura, a language in inlands of the subcontinent and not in the ports, if he is teaching a a non sanskrit indian language, it would be Tamil, Gujarati or Bengali, or any languages in the coast, as these are the people who where primarily engaged in maritime trade
Uh, Nepali sailor, from the Nepalese ports in Kalinga.

Uh, Nepali sailor, from the Nepalese ports in Kalinga.
Who would not be speaking the Nepali language as he is in a land where it is of no use, He would be speaking Sanskrit as it would have become an important Language of trade and Odia, one of oldest classical languages of India, we will speak Nepali as well, but for trade, first two take precedent

Who would not be speaking the Nepali language as he is in a land where it is of no use, He would be speaking Sanskrit as it would have become an important Language of trade and Odia, one of oldest classical languages of India, we will speak Nepali as well, but for trade, first two take precedent
Uh, because that's his home language? Also because official works would take place in Nepali so it wouldn't be a problem. Because, mostly other than the grammar structure, people largely can understand Nepali easily?

Uh, because that's his home language? Also because official works would take place in Nepali so it wouldn't be a problem. Because, mostly other than the grammar structure, people largely can understand Nepali easily?
One main thing here you have to understand is that Nepali, like almost every language of the subcontinent would be a Prakrit that's both influenced and decendant of Sanskrit

And second is Sanskrit would be used for official purposes as it was already the language of the elites, research and administration for a long time, people from across the subcontinent used Sanskrit as a means of communication and Sanskrit was the common link language as well as the language of high culture

This Nepali empire would not have used Nepali as the language of administration, as even they would have used Sanskrit as the language of culture, research and administration, and Sanskrit would have become the logical and the commonly agreed choice for communication across the realm

This is the reason why almost all things written in subcontinent in the ancient period were written in sanskrit

One main thing here you have to understand is that Nepali, like almost every language of the subcontinent would be a Prakrit that's both influenced and decendant of Sanskrit

And second is Sanskrit would be used for official purposes as it was already the language of the elites, research and administration for a long time, people from across the subcontinent used Sanskrit as a means of communication and Sanskrit was the common link language as well as the language of high culture

This Nepali empire would not have used Nepali as the language of administration, as even they would have used Sanskrit as the language of culture, research and administration, and Sanskrit would have become the logical and the commonly agreed choice for communication across the realm

This is the reason why almost all things written in subcontinent in the ancient period were written in sanskrit
Nepal did not use Sanskrit as court language until the Mallas. It used Tibetan and Khas Kura itself. The Lichavis tried and failed. Nepalese language uses Sanskrit words and Tibetan grammatical structure. On the lower level, local languages were used and in higher levels, Khas Kura was used. This has always been the administrative structure of Nepal. In the 2nd century when Nepal conquered Kumaon briefly, Nepal used Kumaoni in local level and Nepali in higher positions. It's the structure of Nepalese administration since the Kirati dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.