The Mandala Stands Strong: An Ancient Timeline.

What do you think will happen with Alexander the Great?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mandala Stands Strong: An Ancient Nepal Timeline

Prologue

The pomp around the city of Kasthamandap was great as Nanda quietly strode onto the great hall of the city. Nanda strode forward with his chest shown in full and his stride strong. He stopped as he reached the halls of the High King.

He didn’t meet the High King by the eyes, such was considered disgraceful and then he bowed down putting his head to the ground. His relative, Rahula, the famed son of the Buddha stood beside him giving him a calming presence.

High King Galinja of the Kirats and the Nepala Mandala smiled at him with an old weariness. His only son, Oysgja (1) had died and the lineage of the Kirats had died. Galinja took his crown into his hands and smiled wearily.

“Nanda Shakya, Ruler of the Shakya Oligarchy. It is my wish as the last monarch of the Kirata Dynasty to pass the High Kingship of the Mandala to the last closest relative of the great Buddha. Do you accept the crown and all its responsibilities?” Galinja asked.

Nanda swallowed the lump in his throat and looked at the old Kirati king. He betrayed his nervousness as his head jerked in a nod. Galinja smiled and then widened his hands.

“Then let it be known! The Shakya Dynasty shall rule the Nepala Mandala after my death! Nanda Shakya, shall become High King of the Mandala!”

Nanda stood up weak from the stress as Rahula helped him up. Rahula looked at him and said “Congratulations, cousin.”

“Thank…you….” Nanda spoke. He still couldn’t believe it. He was high king!

And history changed forever.

(1) This is the PoD
(2) When people on this forum make Buddhist TLs they always forget that the Shakyas were Newar, a Nepali ethnic group and completely forget about the Nepala Mandala, a Nepali ancient version of the HRE. This TL is here to rectify that.

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

467 BCE, Kasthamandap (Old name of Kathmandu)

The Kirata Dynasty had survived for almost half a millennia in Kasthamandap (the old name of Kathmandu) and Nanda still couldn’t believe he wore the crown of the High King of the Nepala Mandala on his head. It had been a few moons after the death of High King Galinja bringing the famed Kirat Dynasty to a very unsatisfying end. However Nanda digressed. His stress has been so compounded, by his cousin uncle, or brother…..whatever the relation was, Rahula the son of the famed Buddha, his grand uncle or something along those lines, was helping him a lot with administrative duties.

Nanda walked through the city admiring its vast architecture and the city that the Kiratis had carved out for themselves and the Newars in the middle of the high hills of the Great White Mountains.

His aide, who went by the name Shahil Limbu was a good young man of around the same height as he and held a very strong mind in that deep brain of his. His silver tongue had been able to legitimize Nanda’s rule over the Mandala by the simple fact that Shahil had convinced and spoken with the other Kings of the Mandala, some of the most important of which were the King of Limbuwan, the King of Gourkha, the King of Pyalpa and the King of Makwan. If Nanda had their loyalty, all other Kings would follow suit. And all of them had given and pledged Nanda their loyalty to Kasthamandap and Nanda’s new reign was secure. Internally at least. Nanda still feared one thing. The Kingdom of Kosala down south had been pretty angry that their vassal state of the Shakya Oligarchy had been absorbed to become directly Mandala ruled lands and some border raids had already happened from what reports told him. Shahil had quietly asked him to raise an army, and Nanda has a feeling it would be required, sooner or later as the Kosala’s continued to become agitated.

Nanda shook his head of these thoughts as he smiled genially at the people walking down the streets of Kasthamandap. The people shyly smiled back.

Of course, Praja was something that every king should have the trust in, and Nanda was no different. A small girl tripped over the walks, and Nanda, allowing himself to smile at the antics of the girl bent down and helped her up despite the gasp of the girl’s mother behind him.

Nanda dusted the dust out of the girls clothes and looked at her. “My my, young lady, you do have a beautiful face. What is your name?”

“…Sharvani….” The girl murmured with an embarrassed blush across her face. Nanda laughed slightly. “A beautiful name for a beautiful girl then.”

Nanda put his hands on his pockets and brought out a gold coin. He winked at the awestruck girl and curled the gold coin into the hands of the girl. The girl squeaked and then ran past him to her mother. She showed the coin to her mother bouncing up and down and the mother tried to calm her down. Nanda smiled as he looked at the small interaction before continuing his and Shahil’s walk back to the palace.

It was a good few minutes before Nanda entered the palace. He looked at Shahil and said “you can go to the meeting room. I will meet you there in a few minutes.”

Shahil bowed his head and said “As you wish, your Majesty.”

Then he left. Nanda looked at the courtyard where Rahula was listening to a few monks of the Sangha speak. Nanda bowed his head slightly and said “Rahula? May I speak with you?”

Rahula turned to look at Nanda. Rahula stood up and nodded. Nanda waited for Rahula to come to him and then said “I see you are being invested in your day to day activities, Rahula.”

Rahula smiled, his brow crinkling. “Of course, my father is pretty famous here, and I found a lot of willing devotees.”

“That’s good, that’s good.” Nanda murmured. “My friend, Rahula, how may devotees have you found till now?”

“Around fifty to sixty I would say.” Rahula replied as he counted the number on his hand using his fingers. Nanda nodded before speaking in a lower volume. “I need you to come with me to the meeting room. It’s important.”

Rahula nodded before looking at his disciples. He strode up to them and said “I am needed by my cousin. Will you all stay here?”

“Of course, Master Rahula.” They chirped. Rahula then returned and walked beside him to the meeting room, in silence. The generals and ministers along with Shahil were waiting. They all stood up as they saw him enter. Nanda waved his hand and everyone sat down on their seats again.

Nanda sat in the center with Rahula beside him. Nanda rubbed his forehead for a bit before speaking up. “Is war with Kosala likely?”

One of the older generals spoke up to answer him. “I am afraid, your majesty, yes. Their diplomat demanded for the tribute you used to pay to Kosala to be paid until your death.”

“Can we not reach a diplomatic solution?” Nanda asked again as he looked down and read a paper detailing the visit of the Kosalan diplomat.

“That matter is not in our hands sire. We did send the diplomat with a notice open to further face to face negotiations with the King of Kosala, and the move is theirs, not ours.” The same general replied.

Nanda glanced at Rahula and said “Rahula, I know you do not like the talk of death and war. If you are uncomfortable, you can-”

“No.” Rahula replied back by interrupting. “I despise war yes, but I also recognize it sometimes as necessary. I was a prince you know. I know how politics work.”

Nanda smiled before he looked at the generals and ministers. He sighed before asking “What are the estimates on the Army of Kosala?”

“Around 15,000 men in 6 war bands, sire.” Another general, this one looking younger with curled hair. Nanda nodded whilst he paled slightly. 15,000 men? That was a huge and humongous number.

“What is our estimate?” Nanda asked cautiously.

“On our own?” A general asked. “Not good. We could raise 2 war bands with a total of 5,000 troops.”

“It is that bad?” Nanda asked quietly disconcerted.

The general grinned. “Milord, you still think with the mindset of a king. You are high king. You have the entire armies of the mandala at your disposal.”

Nanda shook himself as he realized that as well. He blushed slightly before stating “Yes, I seem to have forgotten. What are the estimates of the entire Mandala?”

The younger general shuffled through the list of papers and read one before answering Nanda. “A total of 35,000 men divided into 14 war bands. The King of Makwan can theoretically also raise another extra 5000 men, but that is theoretical and we can’t rely on that.”

Nanda let out a small sigh of relief. “35,000 men? That is good news.”

“But also expensive milord.” One general with a deep voice replied. “We could pay them all, however after that our economy would be in ruins.”

Nanda let out another small groan as he looked at the till now quiet ministers. “Are there any plans for this deficiency? I really hope it is something other than raising the taxes?”

“Yes milord.” One of them replied. “Of course like you said, we will raise the taxes, not by a huge margin, but by a noticeable amount, that much is required and we cannot really do anything against it. However since our tax rates are low anyways, we doubt the people will be unhappy. However our second plan also is about equal distribution and better agricultural and farm policies.”

He passed a paper to Nanda regarding said policies and read through them. Nanda nodded at the policies; they were pretty solid. He looked at the minister and said “I am impressed. These policies are pretty good.”

The Minister bowed his head and said “I aim to please, milord.”

“And please you have.” Nanda replied. He looked at all the paperworks and then said “Rahula, you are perhaps, the best administrator, I have ever seen. Can you take care of the administration, if this war breaks out?”

Rahula looked at him with a small smile as he answered. “Of course I can. Anything for you cousin.”

“Take care of your disciples while you’re at it.” Nanda joked before turning serious again. He let out a deep breath from his nostrils before standing up with his shawl curled on his hand. “Raise the armies. We need to be ready. I know Kosala as its former vassal and tributary. They are wily and cunning. We cannot expect anything honest from them. Diplomacy and peace would be appreciated, but hope is wishful thinking and most times in politics, folly. We must be prepared. Also Minister, barring the taxes, implement your farming policy. We need extra gold, but not in exactly a noticeable manner. May the Buddha and the Sun guide you my friends.”

The Generals and Ministers stood up and saluted him. Nanda nodded and whirled around followed by Rahula. As he walked outside through the halls of the palace, Rahula caught up to him and asked “You are afraid of war aren’t you Nanda?”

The 29 year old Nanda sighed and turned. He looked at the deep inquisitive and observant eyes of his cousin and nodded. “For years, you and my grand uncle preached about non-violence and peace. Yet as king I am forced to make decisions that force people to die. I wonder what your father would think of me, Rahula.”

Rahula smiled. “He would be proud of you. You are taking your duties as High King seriously. And remember, there are many things that are necessary however people do not wish to do it. In fact most wouldn’t. However those kings who are truly great are the ones, who have the courage to do it, despite their own misgivings and guilt at doing so. It isn’t by any means good, but it is pragmatic. And a king needs to be pragmatic.”

Nanda smiled at his words and bowed his head in gratitude. “It has been almost two and a half decades Rahula, yet you still never cease to amaze me.”

Rahula smiled cheekily as he imitated the voice of the minister who showed him the farm plan. “I aim to please milord.”

Nanda laughed as he gripped Rahula’s shoulders. “Come. I think that dinner is making me go mad. It’s time we feast.”

What's all this talk about "paper"? Never heard of it.

(I don't think papyrus, let alone the word for it, had reached India in the 5th century BCE, and the earliest traces of paper date back to the 2nd century BCE or so in far away Ancient China...it would be better to replace it with "manuscript", as the palm-leaf manuscript dates back to around the time)

Besides that, it is about time a timeline like this appeared on the forum...looking forward to where it goes.

Last edited:
What's all this talk about "paper"? Never heard of it.

(I don't think papyrus, let alone the word for it, had reached India in the 5th century BCE, and the earliest traces of paper date back to the 2nd century BCE or so in far away Ancient China...)

Besides that, it is about time a timeline like this appeared on the forum...looking forward to where it goes.
Thanks! Also by paper I meant paper. Ancient Nepalese used animal dung and straws to make paper since around 500 BC. For the sake of tradition some are still made today.

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

How the People of the Great Himalayan Mountains Forged a Nation – University of Oxford, 1999

“……What we need to understand about the Nepala Mandala around the ‘War of the Legitimization’ as the war between the Mandala and the Kosala Kingdom is that the Mandala was one of the most important states in the entire Indian Subcontinent back then considering they controlled the entire trade India had with China, which through ancient records, we know India was highly dependent on………..”

“…….The first ruler of the almost millennia long Shakya Dynasty, King Nanda Shakya tried to use diplomacy and when a second diplomat was sent by Kosala, Nanda tried to propose an alliance with Kosala to safeguard Kosalan interests. Of course quietly Nanda was raising the entire Mandala Army in case of war with Kosala, who was according to records, was a regional power in its own right…….”

“…….The King of Kosala, whose name seems to have been lost through the annals of time, was obstinate in his position. He demanded that the Mandala continue to pay his kingdom tribute. The Kings of the Mandala, more specifically the 5 Great Lower Kings of the Mandala, the King of Gourkha, the King of Makwan, the King of Pyalpa, the King of Limbuwan and King of Sudur were all reportedly outraged by the obstinate position of the Kosalan King and swore total allegiance to King Nanda in what was now perceived as an inevitable war between Kosala and the Mandala………”

“…….The famed companion of King Nanda, the Monk Rahula, the son of Lord Buddha was given full administrative command of the Mandala to handle the administrative duties of the Mandala whilst King Nanda was forced to go to war, a war by which all accounts, the man did not want…….”

Look at it from his perspective. The man had been raised to be an oligarchic king. When he was a child, his granduncle the Lord Buddha was alive and made him a very capable ruler, both in ability and compassion. However the title of High King of the Mandala was all of a sudden thrust upon him. He was by all accounts in his mid-twenties when he became High King, which is around a third to a half of the normal lifetime of the people back then. It’s obvious that the man was stressed. He wasn’t an oligarchic king anymore, he was high king. His word was literally the law, and scriptures show he struggled with the fact, constantly asking for opinions and confirmations from his generals and Lower Kings, just like the time when he was an Oligarchic King, something that wasn’t necessary for a High King. However what made King Nanda so great is that while he didn’t want war, and the title of High King had been thrust upon him, which made him stressed out, extremely so from records, he could adapt. There is a reason why King Nanda is known as King Nanda, the Founder.” – John Cooper, Archeologist, PhD from Oxford University, batch 1989

“…….The King of Kosala, obstinately famous for his obstinate stance during this time, rejected all talks, even that of alliance and declared war on the Nepala Mandala………”

“…….However many historians argue that this declaration of war between the entire Mandala and the Kosalan Kingdom was a fit of anger and not pragmatism. No one in recent living history had ever gone to war with the Nepala Mandala for very pragmatic reasons ranging from societal, communal, economic and military perspectives……..”

The Nepala Mandala was the regional power in the foothills of the Himalaya. They controlled the only trade route to China from India. Their economic influence is not to be underestimated. Many ancient Indian Kings knew that fighting the Mandala was signing the death warrant of their respective kingdom’s economies, which was the last thing they wanted. However the King of Kosala at the time seems to have been a man ruled by emotions, and not reason. Records show the moment the Mandala sealed all Kosalan trade through its trade route with China, the Kosalan trade values dropped and plummeted to the ground. Their coinage made virtually useless. Militarily things were about even, but even then we have a slight disadvantage to give to Kosala. The around 15,000 men that Kosala could raise were professionally trained and veteran troops which gave them an edge, however since the King of Kosala had declared war on the entirety of the Mandala, the Mandala armies outnumbered the Kosalan Army on a ratio of 2.5 to 1. Like the old saying goes ‘quantity is a quality of its own’ is very true here. Another fact is also that the Nepala Mandala society was very martial in nature. Many regard its martial traditions to be like a watered down Asian version of the Spartans. They were not as fanatic as the Spartans, but their warrior culture cannot be degraded.” – Lisa Hernandez, Economic and Military Historian, PhD in Economics from the University of London, Batch 1993.

Thus the War of Legitimization began.

Things are looking to be heated,
I like the ATL modern perspective of these ATL ancient worlds, gives it a form of realism and authenticity

Status
Not open for further replies.