Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas1195

Banned
Most TLs I've read either had Hitler as foaming-at-the-mouth lunatic, or a failed artist that dies in obscurity. I've decided to do something different here. Since he has a little different upbringing, he won't become the raging anti semitic we all know and hate. That grew inside him while he lived homeless in the streets of Vienna.

And one more thing: There will be no Nazi Party TTL.
How about Adolf Hitler the Great Liberal lol

Mind if I borrow some ideas from this timeline? I had built a "What if Germany doesn't enter WWI" timeline but am struggling to do much with it. I could provide ideas in return...

What about Hitler who rallies austrian empire to reform and also hates the hungarians instead, rallies all the population ethnic group against hungry to reform the empire.

Most TLs I've read either had Hitler as foaming-at-the-mouth lunatic, or a failed artist that dies in obscurity. I've decided to do something different here. Since he has a little different upbringing, he won't become the raging anti semitic we all know and hate. That grew inside him while he lived homeless in the streets of Vienna.

And one more thing: There will be no Nazi Party TTL.

A major change could be a more responsible Hitler would likely stay in Austria and serve in the army rather than run off to Munich. Maybe he could even some success in the Austrian army. For one thing this would keep him out of German politics, but in case of war he would likely fight on the Eastern Front.

One other thought I’m not sure Denmark would be able to stay out of the Swedish-Norwegian War, I would at very least expect Denmark to mobilize (thereby forcing Sweden to send soldiers to Scania ) and support Norway with money, weapons and volunteers.

Vignette 2 - City of Dreams and Failures
City of Dreams and Failures

Vienna, Austria
Academy of Fine Arts

800px-Adolf_Hitler_-_Wien_Oper.jpg

"Well, we've examined your test drawings. I hate to say this, but they're quite mediocre."

The young man was stunned. He had been passionate about painting since he was a kid and this was the first time someone had criticized his work.

"Even though your drawings on buildings and structures are quite good, you're poor when it comes to drawing humans and animals. In all your paintings, they all appear very much like statuesque. Lifeless."

He had endured incredible hardship. An abusive drunkard of a father, the loss of his mother, the struggle of being an orphan. All of this took a toll on him and now another one was in the process of metaphorically slapping him in the face.

"You pay more attention to the landscape and the buildings rather than the people around them. Some of your designs seem grand and unrealistic."

The young man could sense the blood boiling in his veins. He could just feel it inside himself.

"You merely recreate what is in front of you. You hardly show expressions, you don't give life to your portraits, you don't even convey a message in your paintings."

He could hardly endure the criticism. If the man continues blabbering, he might start throwing a chair.

"However, don't take this as complete rejection. I see your talent leaning on architecture, rather than art. As I said, you draw buildings better than people. With that said, how would you like being enrolled in the architectural department?"

Now the young man is feeling confused. He trained for art, received criticism for his talent but was now being advised to take architecture? He would need time to contemplate whether to accept the offer or not.

"Can I have a day to think this through?" Said the young man. "Sure you can, the offer is still open" replied a member of the admission board. And with that, the young man got up leaving.

"Think long and hard about this, herr…. He glances into the paper to check the name. "Adolf Hitler, isn't it?".

"Yes, yes it is". "Well then, come back tomorrow and tell us your decision".

Adolf Hitler, now a young man, had moved to Vienna after graduating from the Gymnasium. He, along with his hometown friend August Kubizek, had goals in Art and Music respectively. Both of them had moved in as roommates in a shabby flat. While Kubizek got accepted into a musical academy, Hitler was left with a dilemma.

As he traveled back to the flat, Hitler could see numerous students of the prestigious academy roaming around with smiles on their faces. He wondered if he would ever be as content as they are. He saw many of Vienna's beautiful landmarks. To Hitler, they felt like testaments to the power of Germanic greatness. He sees the streets full of life. The hustle and bustle of one of Europe's grandest cities must've filled the young man with awe, who was used to living in a small city like Linz.

Heading back to Stumpergrasse 31, he sulked into the couch. His paintings were in his bedroom, gathering dust. The thought of abandoning his dream for a lesser one conflicted with the young man. Needing advice, he turned to his friend.

When he told Kubizek of the news, he advised him to take the chance. "Why don't you take architecture class, while taking art classes on the side?" he suggested. "I know a place where they offer art classes. A Jewish family runs the place.". Adolf, upon hearing this, became hesitant. He was a bit suspicious of Jews since coming to Vienna. Anti Semitism had been a normal part of discourse due to various newspapers, politicians and political parties all singing the same tune.

Kubizek still pressed his friend to join the art class. "This is your only chance to do what you wanted to do" he pressed. "Wouldnt you want to try?".

The Next Day

Adolf was back in the Academy. He sat down in the chair adjacent to a table filled with members of the admission board. He had come to a decision.

"Well? What do you say?"

He takes a deep breath. He hopes this decision was the right one.

"I accept your offer".

So what do England and France think of TTLs much warmer German - American relations?
Right now, they don't think that relations would blossom into an alliance. Since it's mostly a close friendship between TR and KW3 and, why would that matter? America and Germany are on two separate continents, far away from each other.

There's also the Monroe Doctrine. So if US trade wasn't threatened by any other country, there's no need to get involved in Europe.

The Little Annoying Austrian as Architect ?!

That's a version not much used in this Forum
And this will be fun, if he rise to popularity with traditional Architecture like Heimatschutzarchitektur* and Wilhelminische Stil*
And clash with modernist Bauhaus* group of Walter Gropius and Neue Frankfurt* by Ernst May, also LeCorbuiser in France.
Hitler as anti-semitic and anti-communist will have harsh word for this alternative draft of those architects.

i my "Kaiserreich a TL" i deal with Hitler in another way...

notes
Heimatschutzarchitektur (1904 to 1960)
Architecture style that "Defense" against foreign stile like "french" Jugendstil (art nouveau)
it bases on use to Traditional local building practice and materials
But rational build and harmonic integrated in landscape.

Wilhelminische Stil ( 1871 to 1918)
Representation Architecture style for Public building of Empire, like monument, churches, museums, administrative buildings and other public buildings.
most in Neorenaissance and Neobarock Architecture mixture...

Bauhaus and Neue Frankfurt (1920-1933)

Radical alternative draft on Architecture, away with the old Ornaments and scrolled
use pure geometry and Colors for a easy and rational Architecture

Ramontxo

Donor
He is ITTL only mildly anti-Semitic no more than what most of the people at the time were. And apparently is going to make close relations with a Jewish family. OTL he always kept an affection to his mother Jewish doctor and actually protected him and in the end send him to America. Of course this didn't impede him to hate the Jewish people as a whole and plan for its destruction. Maybe in this time line another Jewish connection will, at the very least, "mellow" his radicalism. But in real life he did have more, good, Jewish connections in an officer in WW1 that he appreciated. It is my humble opinion that like many other Anti-Semitics he could find individual Jewish people he knew to be human beings while at the same time hating the Jewish race... In any case the Author will tell is how his time line will follow.

Joriz Castillo, If you need help on German language and History PM me,

I working my self on German Empire survive WW1 TL
and Support other Authors in this Forum with knowledge and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.