Status
Not open for further replies.
The French had been practicing their fort storming tactics for a few years. This involved small squads of commandos sneaking in the night and capturing them. If that failed, they would use airplanes to ground the forts to dust before storming them.

They are alpine fort in a very rough terrain, airplanes ordnances of the time will probably scratch them...if they are capable of hit them as many where build on into the various mountain of the alps...honestly if they try they not only need special bomb that are probably beyond French capacity do build but even attack at low quote and in the middle of the alps it's a very very dangerous thing to do.

They are alpine fort in a very rough terrain, airplanes ordnances of the time will probably scratch them...if they are capable of hit them as many where build on into the various mountain of the alps...honestly if they try they not only need special bomb that are probably beyond French capacity do build but even attack at low quote and in the middle of the alps it's a very very dangerous thing to do.
True, avalanches might be a thing here...

True, avalanches might be a thing here...

yep sure...on the other hand, an avalanches there can close the very narrow passages (it's basically a dice throw and trust me you need to be very lucky) even for months there is a reason why military speaking, going naked and weaponless against the Maginot line is a more sane option than a direct attack to the French or Italian alpine line, unless you already accept massive loss of men and equipment.

yep sure...on the other hand, an avalanches there can close the very narrow passages (it's basically a dice throw and trust me you need to be very lucky) even for months there is a reason why military speaking, going naked and weaponless against the Maginot line is a more sane option than a direct attack to the French or Italian alpine line, unless you already accept massive loss of men and equipment.
It seems like it would be more productive to attack along the direct coast on the Mediteranean or send troops to fight in northern France.

It seems like it would be more productive to attack along the direct coast on the Mediteranean or send troops to fight in northern France.

Bingo; OTL original WWI plan for Italy was to only keep troops on the french border for hold it but the bulk of the army was meant to be sent to fight alongside the germans.
French plan will try to avoid at any cost to be bogged in an alpine fight so paratroopers and landing along the coast will be the most viable option, sure they have their own limit and risk but at least have a bigger change of success

Bingo; OTL original WWI plan for Italy was to only keep troops on the french border for hold it but the bulk of the army was meant to be sent to fight alongside the germans.
French plan will try to avoid at any cost to be bogged in an alpine fight so paratroopers and landing along the coast will be the most viable option, sure they have their own limit and risk but at least have a bigger change of success
That sounds like a sound strategic plan.

That sounds like a sound strategic plan.

More lack of many strategic option, basically this is the less bad choice because for a succesfull landing you need first deal with Regia Marina and we all know that paratroopers operation can be very succesfull but also very risky...still it beat all other option and if done well had a fair change of success but it will not be cheap in term of men and equipment

More lack of many strategic option, basically this is the less bad choice because for a succesfull landing you need first deal with Regia Marina and we all know that paratroopers operation can be very succesfull but also very risky...still it beat all other option and if done well had a fair change of success but it will not be cheap in term of men and equipment
Fair point.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

A Brush with Death

<SNIP>
This post was recently reported for a violation of Board Policy regarding plagiarism, specifically the lifting of multiple sections straight from Wikipedia.

As this happened nearly two years ago, there will be no action taken. You "got away with one" here. I strongly advise you not to go back to the well.

Darkest Hour: Man of the People
Darkest Hour: Man of the People

Throughout these challenging months, Adolf Hitler was plagued by recommendations from a few of his ministers to accept calls for negotiations from the Leningrad Pact alliance. Although keeping up a public image of a steadfast defender of the nation, he still privately contemplated whether to take such an action. Nevertheless, the Kaiser advised him to organize a campaign of resistance.

“Between you and me, we’re the only ones that never contemplate the possibility of defeat. Go out there and rally the people.”

That line became stuck in his head. If he was to Europe survive, he needed to strengthen his spine.

One day, Hitler’s ride to the Reichstag was taking longer than expected due to heavy traffic. Impatient as he was, the Chancellor decides to get out of his car and head for the nearest U-Bahn station. His driver, who was scanning ahead at the traffic looks back in confusion as to where did Hitler go.

As he walked down the stairs and into the platform, travelers started noticing him but were left speechless. When the doors opened as he entered, people stared in disbelief.

“What are you all staring at? Have you ever seen a Chancellor ride the U-Bahn before?”

Like scared mortals seeing a god, everyone on the train sat back down on their seats and tried minding their own business.

As the train began moving, Hitler too sat down and began looking around the train car. The young man next to him kept glancing at him repeatedly. When Hitler saw him, the man immediately switched seats.

Not surprised with his appearance, he got up and asked “Does anyone have a match?”. Soon enough, a chubby middle-aged man got up shaking his box of matches. Hitler gets up and grabs a cigarette out of his coat pocket. He then pucks it between his lips, lights the cigarette up, and asks a simple question.

“What is your name?” Hitler asked. “Philip Rosenkranz, Herr” the old man replied. “And what do you do, Herr Rosenkranz?”. “Bricklayer, sir” Rosenkranz replied.
“Ah, bricklayer. We shall have great need of bricklayers soon; business will be looking up.” The passengers chuckled at the joke. Soon enough, the train begins moving which rattled the Chancellor. “Ah, progress”. Another chuckle came out.

Hitler then turns his attention towards a woman with a young child. “How old?” he asks. “5 years, sir. He looks almost like you”. “Madame, all little boys look like me” Hitler replied. The trains laughed yet again. “Well, what is your name?”. “Frau Melina Heuser”.

“Ah, Frau Heuser, it’s a pleasure”. Suddenly other passengers got up and introduced themselves.

“Maja. Maja Kruger”.

“Harald Pilz”.

“Therese Bormann”

“Felix Simon”

“Rosi Steinhauser”

“Frau Luisa Pölzl”

“Oh, a Pölzl, my mother was also a Pölzl. I expect close relations”. Everyone chuckled at his joke.

“Please, sit everyone.” At his command, everyone sat as well. “So how are you all bearing up? Good spirits?”

Murmurs of yesses and nodding heads occur all around him.

“Just as we shall need them.”

“Let me ask you something... that’s been weighing on my mind. Perhaps you can provide me with an answer.”
“You, the German people. What is your mood? Is it confidence?”

Nods and yesses were made to Hitler’s question like asking if their house is all right.

“How confident?”.

“Very” Simon replies. “Some people say it’s a lost cause” Rosenkranz adds. Hearing this, Hitler replies “Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for”.

“Too right,” a woman says.

“Yes, now let me ask you this. If the worst came to pass, and the enemy were to appear on those streets above, what would you do?”

“Fight”. “Fight the communists!”. “Fight them with anything we can lay our hands on”. “Broom handles if we must!”. “Street by street”. “They’ll never take Alexanderplatz!”

The last line gave out a dozen laughs across the train that even Hitler chuckled from it. “And what if I put it to you all that we might, if we asked nicely, get very favorable terms from the Leningrad leaders if we enter into negotiations with them right now? What will you say to that?”

There was only one word that came out of everyone’s mouths. “Never!” was the cry sounded by all the civilians on that train, including a little girl.

Hearing her voice, Hitler went over and sat facing in front of the little girl while still murmuring the word ‘never’. “Oh, will you never give up?”. The little girl replied back “No, never”.

He then recited an old poem he had read when he was a child.

Then out Spake brave Horatius,
Captain of the Gate:
To every man upon this Earth,
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods
.”

Soon after, Hitler was on the verge of tears. The little kid noticed that and asked if he was crying. “Yes, I ramble a lot, you know. And then we all have to get used to it...”. Wiping away his tears, he asked the little girl her name.

“Anne. Anne Frank”.

“Frank, I'll never forget that name”.

Right then, a screeching sound from the train signaled to him that they’ve reached a station somewhere.

"What stop is this?” Hitler asked. The woman with the red jacket replied “Unter den Linden, Herr Chancellor”.

“Ah, Unter den Linden. It’s my stop”. From then on, the mustachioed chancellor made his way to the Reichstag building.

WfAYY44.jpg

The fate of Europe rested solely on Hitler's shoulders as he made his way to the Reichstag

Last edited:
Sorry for the late update guys, online college and running a Youtube channel ate up most of my time these past few months. Nevertheless, I still have plans to continue this TL until its conclusion.

Really fine chapter, I see that Hitler is a German analogue to Winston Churchill in this world's World War Two. One problem on the back of my mind though is that i'm not too sure if the Leningrad Pact would not send a 'peace with honor' to the Kaiserreich like OTL Hitler and Churchill. OTL Hitler had underlying sympathies for the British Empire and had always wanted to ally with it so tried to send peace offers to get them on their side. ITTL, the Leningrad Pact most possibly would not sleep until the total destruction of the Kaiserreich. Peace only until the Russians and French are at Berlin ;).

Anyways, that aside, I can see some SPD members of the Reichstag being the primary bloc for peace, hoping to satiate French claims to Alsace-Lorraine.

Really fine chapter, I see that Hitler is a German analogue to Winston Churchill in this world's World War Two. One problem on the back of my mind though is that i'm not too sure if the Leningrad Pact would not send a 'peace with honor' to the Kaiserreich like OTL Hitler and Churchill. OTL Hitler had underlying sympathies for the British Empire and had always wanted to ally with it so tried to send peace offers to get them on their side. ITTL, the Leningrad Pact most possibly would not sleep until the total destruction of the Kaiserreich. Peace only until the Russians and French are at Berlin ;).

Agree. LP hardly is going to send any peace offers since it is quiet succesful at this point. It is going to wait that Germany and its allies are suing peace and governments in exile in Africa are destroyed.

Anyways, that aside, I can see some SPD members of the Reichstag being the primary bloc for peace, hoping to satiate French claims to Alsace-Lorraine.

Some SPD members might want seek peace but probably most of them are willingful to fight until the war is totally unwinnable. But for getting their support Hitler has probably make much of compromises with SPD.

And France hardly is satisfied with E-L and USSR is not going to be happy getting only just borders of old Russian Empire. Both want total destrouction of Kaiserreich and replacing that with Communist German states.

Some SPD members might want seek peace but probably most of them are willingful to fight until the war is totally unwinnable. But for getting their support Hitler has probably make much of compromises with SPD.
I agree about the 2nd part. A wartime Grand Coalition was formed, so obviously the SPD got some concessions and ministerial posts akin to Labour in OTLs WW2 UK.
But not as a price for not seeking to throw the towel. The German Social Democrats in a CP victory TL would not permit the same fashionable Soviet fanboyism and blame-capitalism-first of OTLs Cold War Left within their ranks. Any Pact apologists would be treated like Nazi apologists in present day Conservative Parties.

While it's true that the LP wants nothing more than the total defeat of Germany, some Germans within the public and the Reichstag find that negotiations would be more beneficial than a repeat of the attrition war and near starvation that Germany went through in WW1.

Holy shit, Anne Frank actually meets Hitler XD

Would be hilarious if she ends up as the Margaret Thatcher analogue

About same thing came to my mind. We have already seen her as Israeli PM in another TL so perhasp sehe culd at some point in future become first female and Jewish chancellor of Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.