Status
Not open for further replies.

manav95

Banned
Germany doesn't really need a navy to match the Royal Navy; especially if it has a valuable ally like the U.S. Perhaps focus more funding into research (i.e. planes and armored development) while pushing increase the size of the army.

It does matter so that Germany doesn't get blockaded. Even if the US is on their side against the British, the Royal Navy is gonna try to repeat 1812 in DC and sack the city again. Not to mention they'd be tied down fighting Canadians and British naval power. The French Navy would be no slouches either, and the Italians could also join in against Germany.

It does matter so that Germany doesn't get blockaded. Even if the US is on their side against the British, the Royal Navy is gonna try to repeat 1812 in DC and sack the city again. Not to mention they'd be tied down fighting Canadians and British naval power. The French Navy would be no slouches either, and the Italians could also join in against Germany.

How do the allies do without access to all that equipment made in the US and those bank loans?

I'm not saying Germany doesn't need a navy or that it doesn't matter. I'm saying that Germany doesn't need a navy the size the of the RN. The German Imperial Navy should, in my opinion, focus on costal defense, commerce raiding, and submarines.

Also, I highly doubt he British would try to take on the U.S. if it was allied to Germany. The U.S. Navy of the time was no pushover.

Couldnt initial defeats in namibia (if pid is 1091) cause a german to suggest we germans shouldnt be colonizers .... cilonization is bloody. We are civilized land of poets and thinkers....blah blah blah and rhetorically push germans away from the naval league?

Couldnt initial defeats in namibia (if pid is 1091) cause a german to suggest we germans shouldnt be colonizers .... cilonization is bloody. We are civilized land of poets and thinkers....blah blah blah and rhetorically push germans away from the naval league?
Honestly that's a long shot, easier to get people less interested in the navy would be something else to capture the imagination of all Germans (and other ethnicities within Germany), and unfortunately at this point in history military matters tend to be the most reliable ways of doing that. Colonization was also pretty damn popular at the time, being a quick way to gain a place in the sun. Perhaps reform the army to be less stick-up-the-arse on keeping the whole Prussian aristocracy dominance thing. The reason in OTL that the navy was so popular was because it was the branch of the military that's truly German, rather than being Prussian, hence it's easy to get everyone agree to supporting it.

How do the allies do without access to all that equipment made in the US and those bank loans?
If Britain knew the US is an enemy they would force a quick war or sack anything of value.

But US is not a true friend for germany, seriously US whitewash with their living meme of TR, still dunno, i can see OTL playing again, now worse even without coward tripitz

Sounds better if you write something like "old well-worn revolver"
Remember what I said about wacky words/phrases?
Heh heh heh...no. Ain't gonna happen.

If Britain knew the US is an enemy they would force a quick war or sack anything of value.

But US is not a true friend for germany, seriously US whitewash with their living meme of TR, still dunno, i can see OTL playing again, now worse even without coward tripitz

>Quick War
>1914

Gooooood luck with THAT. In a scenario where there is tension enough between the US and UK that war is likely, the US is hardly going to be sitting around doing nothing with its armed forces. The British are more likely to be fighting a war around Ottawa then blitzing south into Maryland. Plus every naval asset they dedicate to keeping the USN from reaching critical mass is one less asset keeping the HSF from just sailing up to England and shelling it.

Gooooood luck with THAT. In a scenario where there is tension enough between the US and UK that war is likely, the US is hardly going to be sitting around doing nothing with its armed forces. The British are more likely to be fighting a war around Ottawa then blitzing south into Maryland. Plus every naval asset they dedicate to keeping the USN from reaching critical mass is one less asset keeping the HSF from just sailing up to England and shelling it.
Even under TR, the USN was mega smaller the RN, even a possible(i doubt, knowing USA they could easily throw germany under the bus if a wilson or thomas figure is elected) USN+HSG is smaller, worse here without tripitz risk fleet(that was useless as tripitz was a coward) i don't see it, heck i see germany losing worse that OTL

Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

The structure of the German government at the dawn of the 20th century was a mixture of parliamentary democracy and absolute monarchy. Unlike a constitutional monarchy, where the role of a monarch is largely ceremonial, the German Emperor had enough executive powers that could be compared to that of a US President. He had the power to declare war and make peace, appoint(and fire) a Chancellor, propose laws, convene and dissolve the Reichstag, and was the Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy.

While Wilhelm I was content to leave Bismarck with running the country throughout his reign, his ambitious (and reckless) grandson took an active role in governance by hiring and sacking ministers that were or weren't compliant with his ways. He made many foreign policy blunders that nearly destroyed He had Bismarck resign in 1890 and ran the country like a Tsar. But all that ended with his assassination by an Anarchist.

With the young Wilhelm now on the throne, it was time to start cleaning the house. He let Bethmann Hollweg run the country instead of himself, while Wilhelm, with the advice of his uncle, tried to repair relations with Britain.

In September, Britain began looking into a potential alliance with Germany for the 3rd time. With a new Kaiser, there were prospects that such a thing could happen. Eventually, the two nations began to negotiate in order to formulate an alliance in opposition against both France and Russia. Britain had a long-lasting rivalry with France in the world of Imperialism while Germany was also wary of her since they had vowed revenge for the loss of Alsace-Lorraine back in 1871. Russia was seen as a threat to its Indian empire and fought a Cold War-Esque struggle in Central Asia while Germany saw it as a potential enemy in case of a two-front war.

The man that had strived for this was none other than Joseph Chamberlain. Head of the Foreign Office, he tried his chance for an alliance for the third time after two previous failures. But a gaffe would nip it in the bud.

Britain was fighting a war against the Boers in South Africa. In order to crush the guerrilla fighters, they resorted to tactics such as a Scorched Earth policy and putting women and children into concentration camps which earned them considerable criticism on the European press. One day, Chamberlain made a speech defending the conduct of the Empire's troops whilst remarking that theirs was better than that of the Germans in the Franco-Prussian War

Unsurprisingly, the Germans were outraged. They demanded an apology but Chamberlain refused out of pride. And with that, the 3rd attempt at an Anglo-German alliance ended in failure. With the chance lost, Britain settled for an alliance with France. Germany had gained nothing.

Disheartened, the Germans continued to build up their navy thanks to the advice of Grand Admiral Tirpitz. The harbors of Hamburg and other coastal cities churned out battleships, cruisers, destroyers and even the newest technology possible: U-boats.

220px-Chamberlain2.jpg

Joseph Chamberlain, the man that shot himself in the foot (metaphorically)

Alfred-von-Tirpitz-1.png

Alfred von Tirpitz, Grand Admiral of the Kaiserliche Marine

Last edited:
Unironically Tirpitz was the worst as he was a coward, unwillignly to use the ships into direct combat..so what is the divergence, all is OTL so far

While Wilhelm I was content to leave Bismarck with running the country throughout his reign, his ambitious (and reckless) son
Wilhelm I son, Kaiser Frederick III was a known liberal and was not reckless and you probably wrote it wrong as Kaiser Wilhelm II was his grandson while his son was the short lived Kaiser Frederick III

Wilhelm I son, Kaiser Frederick III was a known liberal and was not reckless and you probably wrote it wrong as Kaiser Wilhelm II was his grandson while his son was the short lived Kaiser Frederick III
He was not a british spy alongside his wife anyway? that is maybe why the revisionism?

Impossible on most accounts, and would be incrediably crazed if implemented. The Royal Navy would have zero chance of anything approaching "1812 in DC", nor would it dare try as the force to even attempt such a mad plan would leave home waters way to volunerable to the German fleet. I know the OTL American army was pitifly small around this time, but assuming in this ATL war with Britain (and other European powers) is looming ... I would have to think there would be a major revamp of forces avaialble. Lets assume American forces are small, that still wouldn't change a total swamping of Canadian territory and whatever ground forces Britain might send (even this unlikely if ground war in France is in full swing) over time. I'm a firm defender in the prowless and amazing history of Canadian fighting abialities, but besides a spiritied and likely long gueiirrlia campaing in parts of the country they are not goign to hold up the might of a 20th century United States mobilizing for a large war. As for the French, any American involvment whatsover only makes their siutation and forces available even more stretched. Italy didn't enter the war at the beginning anyway when they stabbed their OTL ally in the back (Germany) and like the French their forces woud only be stretched moreso.

He was not a british spy alongside his wife anyway? that is maybe why the revisionism?

Spy? Of course not, he was influenced by his wife somewhat but most believe he was most influenced by the ideas of her German father Prince Albert. Albert hped for a more liberal (classical) Europe under the influence of British and a united Germany and took pains to explain and pass on this vision to his oldest daughter and her husband, even upon their initial meetings in England years before they were married. Bismarck's main objective was to protect and increase the power of his nation (Prussia), and feared (probably correctly) more liberal policies advocated by some in regards to their vision of a united Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.