The Falcon Cannot Hear: The Second American Civil War 1937-1944

Status
Not open for further replies.
the-dark-knight-rises_134543-fli_1368460983.jpg

"What're they chanting?"

Glad to see this back! :D

ThePest179

Banned
My TL which I began in January of this year is now being resumed with CalBear's permission. I intend to continue it until the conclusion of the war and its immediate aftermath. For those of you who would like to read or re-read the first part of the TL, you can find it here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=302840 . Please note before reading it, that several of the pre-POD portions and a few other parts that mirror OTL events are taken from William Manchester's The Glory and the Dream- the rest is all my own work.

Sorry about the delay in bringing this back, I was building up an update buffer and then my laptop died and I lost a whole bunch of work.

Yay! It lives once more! :D:)

Liking the developments in Asia, but I can't believe the Soviets attacked the ROC. That was a tremendously stupid move on their part, and will only unite China under an anti-Russian sentiment, like with the US and Japan right now. I do like the IJA getting curbstomped though, did the Soviets liberate Vladivostok yet?

My guess is that the seeming-Sovietwank will result in them hideously overextending themselves (seriously, trying to conquer all of Manchuria, Korea, and China?) and collapsing internally.

Collapse? I doubt it. Bad over extension and creating an empire that they can't fully control and are under constant threat from insurgents? Definitely.

:D This was the timeline that made me get an account here, after reading about it on tvtropes, and I'm glad to see it alive and kicking.

That said, what's Chester W. Nimitz up to? The man was smart, ambitious, and savvy enough to turn down the Pearl Harbor post because he knew the Japanese would attack it and didn't want to be the fall guy (Oh, I'll admit there were other reasons, too, but still, EB Potter, still).

Finally! :cool:

So far, so good, once again, Ephraim.

Great. :cool:

My guess is that the seeming-Sovietwank will result in them hideously overextending themselves (seriously, trying to conquer all of Manchuria, Korea, and China?) and collapsing internally.

No comment on the fate of the Soviets, but yeah- China is one of those places you don't invade unless you're a nomadic north asian people.

I haven't had time to reread all the posts from the previous thread, what's the situation in Europe? If I remember, Republican Spain is in the Allied camp, France finally fell after a long slog, and a botched Franco-British Union has pushed France from the Allies into Axis-Neutral, all while Britain is scrambling to finish a nuke. I forget anything?

That pretty much covers it.

The only real faceoff between the Soviet and Japanese Air Force (pre-1945) came at Khalkhin Gol, where the Soviets took 208 combat losses compared to 162 Japanese. This doesn't exactly indicate the air superiority you attribute to the Japanese in 1939, especially when the Soviets were outproducing Japanese 2-1 in aircraft in the pre-1941 era.

The Soviets lost 163 fighters destroyed with 385 fighters damaged, the Japanese 97 fighters destroyed with 128 damaged. That's a casualty ration of about 2.4 to 1. And that's against IJA Ki-27s- an aircraft vastly inferior to the A6Ms that the IJN is sending in sorties over Manchuria.

This strikes me as an incredibly stupid thing for the Japanese to do. Blending into the civilian population only works when the civilian population doesn't utterly hate your guts. Given the vicissitudes of the Japanese occupation of Manchuria, no amount of 'enemy of my enemy' would keep significant numbers of the local civilizations from happily handing their Japanese tormentors over to the Soviets.

By "integrate" I mean they physically garrisoned soldiers and established strong points in residential areas, forcing the Soviets to sweep through civilian areas with full force. This has the effect of slowing the Soviets down, and also not endearing them to the local Chinese population whose homes are being burned and whose people are being caught up in the crossfire. Discarding uniforms and trying to pretend to be locals is a trick the Japanese tried in the Philippines with very limited success.

Not to mention the propaganda coup the Soviets will have gotten from overrunning Unit 731.

Unit 731 never existed ITTL. Shiro Ishii conducted some experiments at Beiyinheas part of the Togo Unit, but with no further invasion of China past Manchuria ITTL his superiors discontinued the program in 1935.

Very interesting.

Thank you.

A bit disappointed Aus and UK aren't in the war, officially, but I get it. Are they supplying Canada, maybe some 'volunteers'?

I also wonder how Hilter is viewing this.

Australia and the UK are concentrated on reinforcing Spain against an expected invasion by Germany, other than moral support they aren't offering much- although Australia does have some purely genuine volunteers going to Canada as private citizens.

Japan's defeats are confirming Hitler's prejudices towards Asians, he is concerned about the USSR's victories however.

I just reread some of the earlier parts of the TL and I have to ask, are you planning on doing any more polandball comics of this TL?

Not really, but who knows?;)

Subscribed! Would it be possible to have links to the previous chapters?

I'll see what I can do!

What a welcome distraction from my term paper on Mao Zedong :cool:.

Seriously though, good to have you back Ephraim :).

Awesome. Good to see this TL back!

Good to have you back.

Kudos EBR, im glad youre back.

"What're they chanting?"

Glad to see this back! :D

Glad this is back! It would have been a shame to not see how it all ended :)

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this, and I'm glad to be back!:)

Good to see this back. Kinda curious about the whole Europe situation though.

Next update is on America, the one after that will cover Europe.:)

Yay, I am so excited to see that this is back. Will you repost the old timeline (with modifications of course?)

I don't really plan to, the old TL still exists and honestly I don't think it's worth it to try and retell an identical story with different words.

Has anyone done Hetalia, more Polandball, or a bio on the factions?

No to the first two, but I can write up a description of the various factions if you'd like.

Yay! It lives once more! :D:)

Liking the developments in Asia, but I can't believe the Soviets attacked the ROC. That was a tremendously stupid move on their part, and will only unite China under an anti-Russian sentiment, like with the US and Japan right now. I do like the IJA getting curbstomped though, did the Soviets liberate Vladivostok yet?

Yes!:)

I forgot to mention that they liberated Vladivostok in the recent update. The only occupied Soviet territory is Sakhalin.

Oh good, I am glad this is being continued, we will finally be able to see who will triumph and rule America.

:)

:D This was the timeline that made me get an account here, after reading about it on tvtropes, and I'm glad to see it alive and kicking.

The biggest complement I can get is when people join the site because of my work.:):D

That said, what's Chester W. Nimitz up to? The man was smart, ambitious, and savvy enough to turn down the Pearl Harbor post because he knew the Japanese would attack it and didn't want to be the fall guy (Oh, I'll admit there were other reasons, too, but still, EB Potter, still).

He was working for the navy in Washington when the war broke out, he stayed loyal to MacArthur, was interned by the Whites when Washington fell, rescued and then re-interned by the Popular Front when they took Washington.

ThePest179

Banned
No comment on the fate of the Soviets, but yeah- China is one of those places you don't invade unless you're a nomadic north asian people.

"Never start a land war in Asia".

Australia and the UK are concentrated on reinforcing Spain against an expected invasion by Germany, other than moral support they aren't offering much- although Australia does have some purely genuine volunteers going to Canada as private citizens.

But isn't Australia basically going some thing like "America got invaded, that could be us, and soon!". Like the scares of OTL multiplied by 3.

Japan's defeats are confirming Hitler's prejudices towards Asians, he is concerned about the USSR's victories however.

IOTL Hitler had East Asians/Japanese people labelled "honorary Aryans". So what prejudices? Did he not say the ITTL? And if he's prejudiced against Asians ITTL, shouldn't he be ecstatic that the USSR and Japan are busy fighting each other? What does he think of the USSR invading China proper (if he even cares)?

I forgot to mention that they liberated Vladivostok in the recent update. The only occupied Soviet territory is Sakhalin.

Good. :cool:

Did that give them plenty of propaganda (war crimes and such)?

"Never start a land war in Asia".

But isn't Australia basically going some thing like "America got invaded, that could be us, and soon!". Like the scares of OTL multiplied by 3.

I have to agree with this. While Japan isn't very far south this time the Aussiswill be a nervous wreck.

IOTL Hitler had East Asians/Japanese people labelled "honorary Aryans". So what prejudices? Did he not say the ITTL? And if he's prejudiced against Asians ITTL, shouldn't he be ecstatic that the USSR and Japan are busy fighting each other? What does he think of the USSR invading China proper (if he even cares)?

As far as I can tell that was a propoganda stunt. Hitler had no live list for the japanesse, they didn't even distract the USSR IOTL. East Asians and more impirtantly Russians slaughtering eachother is good for the Reich.

Since none of us can claim to have objective evidence of what went through Hitler's syphilitic mind and the conflicting policies of NS Germany I'd leave this up to the author. Germany both claimed to be Aryan master race but also very much looked towards Asians and Muslims as 'good'. Hitler himself said that Germany would be better off Muslim than Christian and Germany had several volunteer groups of indians, arabs, bosniaks, central asians, etc at least IOTL.

Good to see this back. The way in which the last thread ended was disappointing, but everyone missteps occasionally- so onwards and upwards I guess!

And a good update to get the ball rolling again- showing this timeline's trick of nicely balancing the plausible and the cinematic.

Re: the Australian discussion. I think you're right that Australia probably won't declare war unilaterally, lacking as it does a powerful enough navy to take on the IJN without help.
However, the desire for war with Japan will be at an absolute peak- and in fact, with France having fallen I suspect there'll be a growing feeling that Britain is keeping Australians fighting in the wrong, lost war.
Not that there'll be an attempt at a separate peace, but many Australians will doubt whether Britain fully understands the magnitude of the "threat to civilisation" posed by a Japan surging across the Pacific.
And if those Japanese are defeated by GODLESS COMMUNIST RUSSIANS that desperation will probably only get worse- after all, one of the bizarre strains of Australian racial paranoia well into the twentieth century was the fear that the Russians would harness the "Mongol hordes" of China against the British Empire.

So you're right: definitely "volunteers" going to Canada, but I think that will be coupled with growing demands from Canberra (and to some extent Wellington) for Britain to formally enter the Asian war.

Hell, I wonder if there might even be some attempts at provoking a casus belli that London can't ignore? Probably not, but this is an unusually tense timeline politically...

I forget - what's the situation in Eastern Europe right now TTL? Having crushed France and facing a slog through the Pyrenees Hitler must be looking east and rubbing his hands with glee while the Soviets decide to put all their men on the other side of the Urals... The Nazi war economy was basically based on looting their conquests, better keep the war machine turning...

Last edited:

ThePest179

Banned
Re: the Australian discussion. I think you're right that Australia probably won't declare war unilaterally, lacking as it does a powerful enough navy to take on the IJN without help.

I don't know if the Australians know this, but Japan is badly overextended. Fighting the USSR and the US and the Philippines (soon), AND keeping Korea, Formosa, and any other colonial possession in line is playing hell with IJA/IJN logistics and drawing away boatloads of manpower. Realistically Japan would have to fight through all of the UK's colonial possessions (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc) just to get to Australia, which would be a logistical horror.

Hell, I wonder if there might even be some attempts at provoking a casus belli that London can't ignore? Probably not, but this is an unusually tense timeline politically...

What would you have in mind?

I forget - what's the situation in Eastern Europe right now TTL? Having crushed France and facing a slog through the Pyrenees Hitler must be looking east and rubbing his hands with glee while the Soviets decide to put all their men on the other side of the Urals... The Nazi war economy was basically based on looting their conquests, better keep the war machine turning...

Good point, Hitler might just lose his shit and go for the USSR. He might use Vichy and subpar units to guard the Pyrenees.

Garrison

Donor
Gad to see this back. I suspect when the dust settles in Europe nazi Germany will still fall but the 'Iron Curtain' will be a lot further east With Soviets bogged down in Asia. Britain may well come out this war far stronger as its imperial possessions in the Far East will never be threatened and the US has been removed as an economic rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.