The eagle's left head

Part 63
Didymoteichon, Thrace, March 1352

Ioannis V Palaiologos was given an appanage over Western Thrace by Ioannis VI the senior emperor. Matthaios Kantakouzenos, Ioannis VI elder son would be moved to rule over Adrianople. The youngest of Ioannis VI sons, Manuel, had already been made governor of Lesbos, a much smaller holding compared to that of his brother and brother in law but nevertheless quite important given its large revenues and strategic position.

Constantinople, May 1352

With the Venetian fleet gone Ioannis VI was forced to come to terms with Genoa. The Genoese trade privileges within the empire would be renewed, their hold on Galata renewed and imperial ports closed to Venice. This would prove to have consequences...

Halmyros, Thessaly, July 1352

It had been the definition of what the Italians were calling bad war. The Serb army under Dusan had pressed on but between Sicilian naval raids, garrisons and commitments in Thrace had not been able to bring more that 19,000 men on the field. The Sicilians under Alexandros Doukas Lascaris had managed to bring together only slightly more men fielding 20,000 men. The Sicilians had the superior infantry and organization. the Serb heavy cavalry had proved itself to be among the best in Europe and unlike its counterparts in Western Europe was anything but alien to fighting light cavalry or horse archers. The end result had been a bloody had fought battle. The Sicilians would take three thousand casualties including Alexios Philanthropenos, Michael's elder son. But in the end the Moreot heavy horse under Michael Rallis had broken the Serb flank and the Serbs had been forced to retreat leaving four thousand dead in the battlefield.

Didymoteichon, July 1352

Ioannis V with a bit or perhaps more than a bit of prompting from Venice and Serbia attacked Matthaios Kantakouzenos. Patriarch Callistus would try and fail to mediate between the two rivals. Ioannis VI would try to mediate as well only to find himself also in conflict with the younger emperor as Ioannis V received an army of 4,000 men from the Serbs, further troops from Bulgaria and 20,000 ducats in financial aid from Venice.

Tzympe castle, Gallipoli, August 1352

The castle was surrendered to Suleiman pasha, Orhan's eldest son. It was the price Ioannis VI had to pay in exchange for Orhan's support as an army of 10,000 Ottomans under Suleiman marched into Thrace...

Thessaly, September 1352

The Sicilian advance in Thessaly came to a screeching halt in the face of Serb reinforcements. Alexandros had managed to push the Serbs out of most of the southern half of Thessaly but he would not risk a second battle against the reinforced Serb army...

Didymoteichon, October 1352

Ioannis V army was crushed by the Ottomans. The young emperor wiould be forced to flee to the little island of Tenedos. The renewed civil war appeared to have ended in triumph for Kantakouzenos.. But this had come at a cost as the Ottomans had looted yet again large sections of Thrace and perhaps worse were now refusing to leave Tzympe.

Avignon, December 1352

Innocent VI became the new pope. This was going to be unfortunate news for the Neapolitan Angevins as Innocent facing financial difficulties after the profligate spending of his predecessor cut the subsidies to the Angevins and begun negotiating for an accommodation with Louis of Hungary. Coming to terms with Sicily would prove more difficult as Theodore had no intention of paying tithes to the papacy and the Sicilian parliament and population after the multitude of excommunications thrown on their heads over the past 70 years stood behind Theodore on the matter. But even so Innocent would not show the unrelenting hostility of his predecessors.

Naples, February 1353

"No" The word, by Louis of Taranto king of Sicily, was almost a shout.

George Chrysaphis, Theodore's envoy to the Neapolitan cort gave a shrug. "I would strongly advise your majesty to reconsider. The despot's terms are only fair given your... circumstances."

"Release your master from his vassalage, and surrender to him the kingdom's holdings in Greece, Sicily, Terra di Otranto, Basilicata and Terra di Bari. And Theodore expects me to accept such terms?"

"I would note your majesty that you have lost the war. The war you had started I might note. Losing a war comes at a cost. And my lord has instructed me to warn you that if you fail to accept peace now his terms the next time he sends me over here are going to be worse."

"No"

Thessaly, March 1353

Stefan Dusan gave a sigh as he jumped on his horse. One more campaign was just about to begin. Theodore had not accepted peace on the status quo. He had not accepted to give up his Thessalian conquests in exchange for peace. The war would continue. Despite the costly defeats in Halmyros and Didymoteichon he still led 20,000 men for this year's campaign in Thessaly, as many as his spies claimed Alexandros had in the south.

Constantinople, April 1353

Ioannis VI proclaimed his son Matthaios co-emperor. There would be some trouble with patriarch Callistus refusing to crown Matthaios, which would be solved by the simple expedient of replacing Callistus with a new patriarch Philotheus. The new patriarch would duly crown Mattheos co-emperor the next February. But the Ottomans were still refusing to leave Tzympe and Ioannis V was still holed up in Tenedos. Manuel who had inherited his father's abilities was busily building up a fleet in Lesvos but as long as the Venetian navy was in the Aegean and allowed by Ioannis V to use Tenedos as a base was not in position to attack his brother in law.

Ascoli, June 1353

Theodore had avoided for the past couple of years to directly aid the Hungarians. But now he was angry. If Louis and Joanna were too stupid to come to terms then they had to be forced to terms. Thus he had linked up with the Hungarians and marched up from Basilicata forcing the Neapolitans to battle. Gregoras in his "Sicilian History" would not fail to note that back 16 centuries ago another Greek army under Pyrrhus had defeated the Latins in the same place carefully avoiding to point the Latins in question were the Romans. But if the Romans could afford the casualties inflicted on them by Pyrrhus, Louis did not have the strategic depth to survive losing half his army...

Port De Comte, Sardinia, August 1353

A Genoese fleet of 33 galleys under Antonio Grimaldi was crushed by the joint Aragonese-Venetian fleet with two thousand men killed and twice as many taken prisoner. But just the next month from the victory Marianus IV the judge of Arborea would rise up in revolt fearing the increase in Aragonese influence. Before the end of the year he would be joined in the revolt by the Doria family in the north of the island.

Athens, Ocrober 1353

Alexandros Doukas Lascaris took the baby in his hands. A second daughter. They would name her Ioanna after Agnes mother the late queen of Navarre. It was the only good thing to happen in an otherwise frustrating year. Over the previous months Dusan had stopped cold every single Sicilian advance in Thessaly. It was true that Alexander and his lieutenants had stopped in turn every Serb attempt to push south but this wasn't making things any less frustrating for him. At his age his grandfather had just liberated Siciy...

Naples, November 1353

Louis I put his signature of the document accepting a ten year truce with Sicily. It wasn't as if he could do much about it. After the defeat of Ascoli Sicilian and Hungarian armies had ranged unopposed for most of the year, taking several castles and looting the countryside. Innocent VI had excommunicated him, along with Joanna for refusing to send ecclesiastical tithes over to Avignon, with war ranging he could ill afford to do so. He needed to cut his losses and hopefully deal with the Hungarians and that little upstart in Abruzzo. As soon as they were dealt with he could revisit his relation with that Greek heretic and the Sicilian traitors who preferred him over their god anointed kings...

Messina, February 1354

Theodore Doukas Lascaris looked over the fleet assembling in Messina. With the war in Italy it had been reasonably easy to convince the Sicilian parliament to help finance for one more, hopefully final push to bring the war in Greece at an end. After all no person in Sicily could forget the Greek armies and fleets coming to the aid of Sicily earlier in the war. And even the ones willing to pretend to forget that, or the large Greek population in Sicily and South Italy being increasingly self concious of their ties to their brethren in the east of the Ionian sea thank to the growth in learning, were not as willing to forget the lively trade going between the two halves of the realm and the profits coming out of it...

Stefan Dusan gave a sigh as he jumped on his horse. One more campaign was just about to begin. Theodore had not accepted peace on the status quo. He had not accepted to give up his Thessalian conquests in exchange for peace. The war would continue. Despite the costly defeats in Halmyros and Didymoteichon he still led 20,000 men for this year's campaign in Thessaly, as many as his spies claimed Alexandros had in the south.
Over the previous months Dusan had stopped cold every single Sicilian advance in Thessaly. It was true that Alexander and his lieutenants had stopped in turn every Serb attempt to push south but this wasn't making things any less frustrating for him.
So, until now the situation on Thessaly was a bloody stalemate, with neither side able to defeat decisively to their adversary, or at least from the Serbian perspective, without another long and bloody campaign season... Ofc, that in Dusan plans and intelligence gathering, seem to have overlooked/ignored that Alexandros, too had other fronts/commitments and that depending on how soon these could be finished... He would be able to reinforce and increase meaningfully the size of the forces that actually are facing him in Thessaly...
At his age his grandfather had just liberated Siciy...
Theodore Doukas Lascaris looked over the fleet assembling in Messina. With the war in Italy it had been reasonably easy to convince the Sicilian parliament to help finance for one more, hopefully final push to bring the war in Greece at an end.
Considering the above mentioned stalemate, the Despotate sea mastery and after reading, this my first thoughts were 'Inchon' and the 'Via Egnatia'... But, I'm not an expert neither in the time period militar history nor in the region geography, so perhaps it wouldn't be possible to use it to get an army at the Dusan's army backs...

The Western front is stable for the moment, and Despotate forces are now making their way east, hopefully, they can finally break the stalemate.

Last edited:
Considering the above mentioned stalemate, the Despotate sea mastery and after reading, this my first thoughts were 'Inchon' and the 'Via Egnatia'... But, I'm not an expert neither in the time period militar history nor in the region geography, so perhaps it wouldn't be possible to use it to get an army at the Dusan's army backs...
My thinking too.

Something like this:
My idea of it would be like taking half their forces from Thessaly to Thessaloniki, with some dose of age old Greek style ruse to conceal the move (and make the Lascarid force in Thessaly bigger than it is, so they don't expect a threat elsewhere for example), concentrate fast against and destroy the Serbian force surrounding Thessaloniki and then Veria with local numerical superiority, and rush through the mountain passes along the Haliakmon river and cut Serb lines from Thessaly to Skopje, before the main Serbian force can race back from the plains of Thessaly, and seizing a highly defensive ground where they can force battle on favorable terms against the main Serb army, perhaps a river crossing somewhere north of Servia where Cuman archers could do a wonder of shooting down the many Serbs trying to force the passage. If that's realistic and feasible.

It was true that Alexander and his lieutenants had stopped in turn every Serb attempt to push south but this wasn't making things any less frustrating for him. At his age his grandfather had just liberated Siciy...
We have an ambitious lad here...

Louis did not have the strategic depth to survive losing half his army...
After the defeat of Ascoli Sicilian and Hungarian armies had ranged unopposed for most of the year, taking several castles and looting the countryside. Innocent VI had excommunicated him, along with Joanna for refusing to send ecclesiastical tithes over to Avignon
After the loss of half his army in 1353, the loss of many castles, the loss of papal support and the devastation of his remaining lands, he will have a bitter struggle ahead in order to defeat the Hungarians. It might be take more than a campaigning season to reclaim so many castles. How is Lalle doing in Abruzzo ?

The castle was surrendered to Suleiman pasha, Orhan's eldest son. It was the price Ioannis VI had to pay in exchange for Orhan's support as an army of 10,000 Ottomans under Suleiman marched into Thrace...
So it begins.

In a couple of updates there will be a major earthquake at the North Anatolian Fault. Gallipoli's walls will be destroyed and Suleiman will claim the first european city for the Ottomans.

Who knows, we might see a Dane Varangian arriving at the court of the now old Theodore.

8inizw.jpg

At which point does Dusan decide that the juice is not worth the squeeze in Thessaly? The Ottomans in Thrace could give him an out if wanted it.

Tzympe castle, Gallipoli, August 1352
And things go as per otl in this case. The Turks would be a potent actor within the Balkans for the next few decades, and the Lascarids would have to deal with the turks before they could be secure in the Balkans.
Port De Comte, Sardinia, August 1353
With Sardinia up in revolt I wonder how the Lascarids would take advantage of it. After all, Aragon is one of the actors in the Med that could contest them at this point in time, and getting Sardinian influence out of the boundaries of the Lascarid domains would be a good thing to do in general.
Athens, Ocrober 1353
That is good news indeed... I'm just concerned rn, as with this many girls as children I wonder if we'd not see Alexandros II with male children, especially if he dies before Theodore. It would be tricky to rule if the next ruler of the despotate is a woman...
Naples, November 1353
And Louis gives up fighting everyone at the same time.

I wonder what did Louis give in addition to his demands before the peace treaty is signed. Even if he wants to fight the rest of the barons would know that fighting the Lascarids is insanity, as the greek holdings would increase the manpower the Lascarids could use even if they're constantly fighting the Turks post Dusan. And that's not counting the wealth the Lascarids would get from the Tunisian tribute means they could probably get a lot more mercs from Northern Italy (hopefully with Visconti allies). They'd literally be too big to fight against.
Messina, February 1354
And the Lascarids bring their whole war-making capability to bear against Dusan. If they crush Dusan's army and make enough time I think they could easily take Epirus and Macedonia, especially when the ERE is so weak. Add to the fact that the Turks are literally invading from Anatolia and I think the Despotate won't give a shit about the situation the ERE is in. After all, the despotate is the more powerful state since Andronikos III...

Last edited:
Something like this:
Frankly if they do Ichon I see them landing a big enough force in Epirus to force Dusan to march between Epirus or Thessaly, and Alexandros II mans the Thessalian front while Theodore himself fights on the Eprius front, with Arta being blockaded and the such.

It'd make Dusan have to do the impossible to retain all his gains, and the Despotate would be able to squeeze a lot more out of that than just landing their forces in Macedonia. After all, the army they're transporting rn are all on ships after all...
After the loss of half his army in 1353, the loss of many castles, the loss of papal support and the devastation of his remaining lands, he will have a bitter struggle ahead in order to defeat the Hungarians. It might be take more than a campaigning season to reclaim so many castles. How is Lalle doing in Abruzzo ?
I'd imagine him doing better than otl, with Louis basically going back to Campania to regroup. At this point Istvan and Lalle should have free reign in the east, and I defo see Istvan and Lalle launching a coordinated attack to conquer the east and deny it from Louis.

Frankly if they do Ichon I see them landing a big enough force in Epirus to force Dusan to march between Epirus or Thessaly, and Alexandros II mans the Thessalian front while Theodore himself fights on the Eprius front, with Arta being blockaded and the such.

It'd make Dusan have to do the impossible to retain all his gains, and the Despotate would be able to squeeze a lot more out of that than just landing their forces in Macedonia. After all, the army they're transporting rn are all on ships after all...
Agreed it makes more sense to break the stalemate by opening up a second front in Epirus hitting the Serbs from behind and forcing Dusan to split his army.

Agreed it makes more sense to break the stalemate by opening up a second front in Epirus hitting the Serbs from behind and forcing Dusan to split his army.
And its a relatively low-risk plan too, as Dusan has no navy and isn't planning to build one.

There's not much Dusan could do other than maaaaaaaaybe asking Venice for help, and I'm pretty sure Venice is preoccupied rn with the war they're fighting with Genoa rn.

Wow truly excellent tl. Finally caught up. Maybe :
1 Turks kept out of Europe
2 Sicily captures / merger with ere
3 ere rebuilds for 15 years until
4 tamerlane devestastation of the ottomans
5 ere captures up to nicea
6 adaptation of gun powder speeds up reconquest. Turks keep to their light cave forces
7 slow reconquest of anatolia

That is good news indeed... I'm just concerned rn, as with this many girls as children I wonder if we'd not see Alexandros II with male children, especially if he dies before Theodore. It would be tricky to rule if the next ruler of the despotate is a woman...
Or an infant. Like Richard II succeeding his grandfather Edward III.

I wonder what did Louis give in addition to his demands before the peace treaty is signed.
Louis signed a ten year truce, not a peace treaty. That just means status quo on the ground and no attack on Angevin shipping. Even if the truce lasts only half that, that should be enough for Theodore to forcibly settle the Serbian affairs.
And unlike Louis, he would start the next round with more resources than before the war began.

That doesn't force Dusan to withdraw from Thessaly. Geography cuts both ways, and any advance into Epirus can be quickly blocked with lesser for es due to the mountainous terrain.

The most important objective here, politically, is liberating Thessaly, which was Lascarid territory before the war.
Invading Epirus doesn't achieve that in a direct manner.
But getting in the rear of the Serbian army and cutting them from their bases in Serbia, that would.
If they don't withdraw north to meet the threat, then they are trapped in Thessaly, a hostile country with limited resources to plunder, and for Dusan himself, that means being cut off from the center of his power, inviting a power vacuum; it's like being besieged.
Like Incheon, high risk, high reward.

Plus, though we mention Incheon, and that is what came to my mind too, I think Heraclius pulled a similar maneuver in Anatolia and the Caucasus, though I'm not quite sure.

Last edited:
I need to look further at Heraclius campaigns, but if Theodore and Alexandros follow his playbook, that's Incheon from Thessaloniki at least, or a full on counter invasion of Serbia if they are very bold.

Or an infant. Like Richard II succeeding his grandfather Edward III.
that could be the case too, I'm just giving you the worst option, and its not like the ERE didn't have a selection of female rulers in the past.
Louis signed a ten year truce, not a peace treaty. That just means status quo on the ground and no attack on Angevin shipping. Even if the truce lasts only half that, that should be enough for Theodore to forcibly settle the Serbian affairs.
And unlike Louis, he would start the next round with more resources than before the war began.
That's very true. I just wonder would the Turks take over and the Lascarids have a bigger problem in the Balkans?

But yeah Theodore/Alexandros II access to a lot more resources than Louis and I think the Lascarids know it, and have better tactics against cavalry, while Louis still thinks he could win for some reason.

I just hope Louis dies early so Peter IV could marry Joanna and launch a Sicilian attack that way.
That doesn't force Dusan to withdraw from Thessaly. Geography cuts both ways, and any advance into Epirus can be quickly blocked with lesser for es due to the mountainous terrain.

The most important objective here, politically, is liberating Thessaly, which was Lascarid territory before the war.
Invading Epirus doesn't achieve that in a direct manner.
But getting in the rear of the Serbian army and cutting them from their bases in Serbia, that would.
If they don't withdraw north to meet the threat, then they are trapped in Thessaly, a hostile country with limited resources to plunder, and for Dusan himself, that means being cut off from the center of his power, inviting a power vacuum; it's like being besieged.
Like Incheon, high risk, high reward.

Plus, though we mention Incheon, and that is what came to my mind too, I think Heraclius pulled a similar maneuver in Anatolia and the Caucasus, though I'm not quite sure.
Frankly I think Epirus could be dealt with if the Lascarids go on the warpath with 25k men in the Thessalian front while 5-10k men march in Epirus, forcing Dusan to choose. The main problem with landing in the Thessalian front is that there isn't a lot of options there I think, other than landing ppl in Demetrios and marching south, pincering Dusan's army?

I think the main problem with this is that unless this destroys Dusan's army in detail and captures Dusan himself Dusan would just retreat and regroup, while Epirus could be incited into revolt a lot more easily due to the actions of Dusan and the Despotate. It also fits with Alexandros wanting to do 'something' that would make him be just as important as his grandfather: not having his father in the same front would be paramount to do that.

All in all, I think if we want high risk high reward forcing Dusan to fight Alexandros with a slightly smaller army while Epirus is being taken over by Theodore would be a better strategy than having to redeploy soldiers to fight in Macedonia.

I need to look further at Heraclius campaigns, but if Theodore and Alexandros follow his playbook, that's Incheon from Thessaloniki at least, or a full on counter invasion of Serbia if they are very bold.
Perhaps, not an attempt of conquest but a series of raids from the sea and/or even some bigger enough like 'Sherman's March to sea' level of intensity it, if coupled with the aforementioned possible options could very well fulfill these same goals. And, without the risks and logistical and strategic challenges that a conquest attempt would probably have to face.

Perhaps, not an attempt of conquest but a series of raids from the sea and/or even some bigger enough like 'Sherman's March to sea' level of intensity it, if coupled with the aforementioned possible options could very well fulfill these same goals. And, without the risks and logistical and strategic challenges that a conquest attempt would probably have to face.
I think it'd work if they're marching from Thessaloniki, after all it ensures the loyalty of the Thessalonians to the despotate. I don't think a landing in Demetrias while the despotate and Serbs fight in halmyros again would be enough to convince Dusan to give up.
Louis signed a ten year truce, not a peace treaty.
Also on the thing the despotate will ask for I wonder if the next peace treaty would be total capitulation as Louis of Taranto is stuck in Rome. Giving a crown to Alexandros ii and his descendants would be great for the despotate, and the papal states doesn't have the war making capability to deal with the despotate.

Frankly I think Epirus could be dealt with if the Lascarids go on the warpath with 25k men in the Thessalian front while 5-10k men march in Epirus, forcing Dusan to choose.
So, you'd talk 30k-35k total Lascarid forces? In the leadup to the battle of the Halmyros, after the battle of the Ofanto river and the fall of Bari, it's said half of the Despotate army in Italy, or about 5,000 men, were transferred to Greece, bringing Lascarid numbers to bear against the Serbs at about 20,000. So that's 25,000 total, and it's after Theodore demobilized half the fleet to reduce expanses. Even with the truce in Italy, he can't really strip the army here further than the meager 5,000 men left there; he still needs them to keep Louis to his word and ensure no silly idea, like breaking the truce before ink is even dry, come to his mind.

He might get in a few thousands more mercenaries on a temporary basis, but they don't come cheap, and with Theodore trying to rein in the growing debt, you can't reallistically expect more than a few thousands.

The main problem with landing in the Thessalian front is that there isn't a lot of options there I think, other than landing ppl in Demetrios and marching south, pincering Dusan's army?
I think it'd work if they're marching from Thessaloniki, after all it ensures the loyalty of the Thessalonians to the despotate. I don't think a landing in Demetrias while the despotate and Serbs fight in halmyros again would be enough to convince Dusan to give up.
Demetrias is not relevant since in the aftermath of Halmyros, the last update says southern Thessaly has been liberated from the Serbs, so Demetrias is not in the rear of the Serbs, but in the rear of the Lascarids. If anything, it can be used as a port to embark part of the army from Thessaly and transport it to Thessaloniki.

I think the main problem with this is that unless this destroys Dusan's army in detail and captures Dusan himself Dusan would just retreat and regroup, while Epirus could be incited into revolt a lot more easily due to the actions of Dusan and the Despotate. It also fits with Alexandros wanting to do 'something' that would make him be just as important as his grandfather: not having his father in the same front would be paramount to do that.

All in all, I think if we want high risk high reward forcing Dusan to fight Alexandros with a slightly smaller army while Epirus is being taken over by Theodore would be a better strategy than having to redeploy soldiers to fight in Macedonia.
The first objective is not conquering anything, not even Epirus, it's about liberating Thessaly; it's a political necessity for Theodore, because of the social contract that underwrites the Despotate's legitimacy. Whether or not Dusan comes back the year after with another army is secondary.
An Incheon like maneuver is not meant to destroy the enemy but to put it in a situation where he does not have any other choice but to withdraw without even giving battle. Heraclius' case is more speaking since he had to liberate Anatolia from the Persians, which he did by outmaneuvering them, and by threatening their lines of communications and the Persian homeland proper, forced them to withdraw.

If Alexandros marches out of Thessaloniki, storms Veria and advance up the Aliakmon, Dusan and the Serbs have simply no choice but to withdraw north and meet them, otherwise risking being trapped in Thessaly and leaving Serbia open to invasion; on the other hand, they can ignore at leisure whatever happens in Epirus since it does not entail the same risks for them; that's the option that gives the fastest result Theodore desires.
Furthermore, for such a maneuver to succeed, the Lascarid simply don't have enough men to spare for Epirus. They have to leave a covering force behind in southern Thessaly to fix Dusan here as along as possible and keep him as well from walking over unopposed.

If then the Serbs are defeated on a river crossing along the Aliakmon, the odds are that they won't be back in Thessaly before the next campaign season, which leaves enough time for Alexandros to mop up isolated Serbian garrisons in the region and prepare for the Serbs' return.
What happens then? The Lascarids are solidly entrenched along the Haliakmon river, and this time, they are not split between the defense of Chios, Messina and Calabria, so they can focus their full resources, and Dusan has just lost several years worth of hard fought conquests, so he has to start it all over again. He is strong enough to prevent the Lascarids from advancing further into Macedonia, not strong enough to push south a second time, and if he continues, he is at risk of losing his conquests in northern Epirus as well. He has already conquered Macedonia and Epirus from the Byzantines, and Bosnia makes a tempting target while Louis of Hungary is busy against the Lithuanians.
What an opportunistic and capable ruler like Dusan would then prefer? Thessaly or Bosnia?

Last edited: