The Anglo-Saxon Social Model

So lets say you had a small-ish farm, run by two siblings and partly owned by the rest of the extented family OTL (due to inheritance machinations). How would that work ITTL? What about if a farm manager was hired? Would Butterflies stop such a thing in the first place?

The 'use it or lose it' regulations were specifically targeted at large landowners (and more specifically at the absentee Protestant Ascendancy in Ireland) so I think it would be unlikely to catch this kind of situation as such. There definitely will be some farmers who appreciate the value of remaining small and won't have joined cooperatives.

Windows95

Banned
There's more on the cooperative stock market in google preview books, it is a pity that page 214 is removed, and so are other pages.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=oLhwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq="Cooperative+Stock+Market"+-wikipedia&source=bl&ots=0y8u3zUnQj&sig=ACfU3U0t4IK0x4SeITHb9FF8l5OOM5Egpg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOsrTOgsLlAhUHn-AKHUFNAdYQ6AEwBHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q="Cooperative Stock Market" -wikipedia&f=false

I found more on elaboration.

ADDENDUM BONUS: I FOUND MORE! sorry guys

It will take you to a PDF abdridged version of the dude's writing, and if you typed it in, you find yourself in the cooperative stock market section.

You can just DM me if you want.

Last edited:
Having stocks of your co-ops seem like a backslide more than anything to me. Maybe something for the liberals to do :biggrin:

Having stocks of your co-ops seem like a backslide more than anything to me. Maybe something for the liberals to do :biggrin:

I'm skeptical of the purpose of it. It seems a bit like just another exchange but with a more exclusive membership. Given that TTL banks and other forms of finance will be much more comfortable with the idea of providing credit for cooperatives, I can't see much demand for it either. Interesting little idea though.

Having a stock market for mostly worker-owned companies is one thing, but wholly worker-owned companies? I agree - this doesn't really meet the definition of a co-operative.

How can you publically trade stocks that, by design, are supposed to stay in-house?

Windows95

Banned
Sorry guys for derailing the thread entirely.

I won't reply on this.

Addendum: I am very sorry on this, I am fully aware on what I did. I really and genuinely thought that cooperative stock markets are interesting to introduce efficiency and performance just like private companies do.

One thing I think can be worrying is the idea of simply granting workers a share (of a part or the total) and calling it a day. Bottom up organizing takes some build up, and even if it exists, granting the shares to the independent workers and having them try to join a generic company board isn't going to be great. Co-ops need a fundamentally worker managed structure. Unless they have all the shares in the company, they should probably get to organize separately and vote in bloc. And even if they do, "elect your CEO" isn't great so you better hope for a more participative construction.

Of course, new co-ops don't have to worry too much about that since it'll develop organically but transition to cooperatives is a bit more dicey. Probably a place where unions can step in.

I wonder if they already passed something like giving workers first right of refusal for selling failing companies?

Sorry guys for derailing the thread entirely.

I won't reply on this.

Addendum: I am very sorry on this, I am fully aware on what I did. I really and genuinely thought that cooperative stock markets are interesting to introduce efficiency and performance just like private companies do.

No complaints on my part. I enjoyed it.

Windows95

Banned
Having a stock market for mostly worker-owned companies is one thing, but wholly worker-owned companies? I agree - this doesn't really meet the definition of a co-operative.

How can you publically trade stocks that, by design, are supposed to stay in-house?
Would you be okay being replied on this question, or would you like to do it by DM?

Windows95

Banned
No matter, I will look into it in my own time if I have the inclination.
I understand. I just derive the argument in favour of a cooperative stock market from the pdf, a thesis dissertation by Abraham Singer. I am not sure if this is appropriate to post a PDF on this forum, especially on this thread.

I understand. I just derive the argument in favour of a cooperative stock market from the pdf, a thesis dissertation by Abraham Singer. I am not sure if this is appropriate to post a PDF on this forum, especially on this thread.

At any rate, I found the guy's doctoral thesis (352 pages long) online, in PDF form. I assume the book is based on that. Is that the same one you found.

I also found various news articles mentioning the Co-Operative Bank trading on the stock market as part of a rescue package - which has...variable levels of popularity. It seems like it's behaving more like a regular business.

At any rate, I found the guy's doctoral thesis (352 pages long) online, in PDF form. I assume the book is based on that. Is that the same one you found.

I also found various news articles mentioning the Co-Operative Bank trading on the stock market as part of a rescue package - which has...variable levels of popularity. It seems like it's behaving more like a regular business.

Could one of you PM me the thesis? I agree this TL isn't quite the forum to go into detail on it but it sounds like something I would be interested in reading in my own time.

Windows95

Banned
On the book, if you want to go the cooperative stock market section, just press find (where you find terms) on the PDF and type in corporate stock market. You guys don't have to go through the actual book cover to cover.