Really interested by these different party ideologies, what states or regions would vote for which party ITTL? As a Nebraskan, I'm assuming that we would be a Whig state? Love this timeline by the way!
Generally the west coast and south vote for the Democrats, while the north-east, Florida, and the Great Plains vote for the Whigs, with the Midwest more of a battleground region.
I’m enjoying this timeline a lot even if some of the changes are confusing at times or don’t make sense to me, its still very good.

One thing I’m curious about is how the this timelines world, specifically the United States would react to our timelines United States. Because there are huge differences that people would notice right off the bat
They would probably think "What kind of gilded age hellhole is this ?" , seeing America as a notably bigger but less compact and less centralized nation
Probably this, and I think there would be shock at how individualistic the US is OTL and also that the US is the dominant world power, rather than TTL where things are more multipolar. People would also be surprised at the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, and Reconstruction.
I believe you are correct that Nebraska is a fairly Whiggish state; it seems like the most prominent Whig politician in TTL's 2023 is actually a Nebraska senator. As a Nebraskan, there are things about the Whig Party that I could see supporting, but as a Catholic that's probably a non-starter. This is a wonderful timeline by the way, and I can't wait for Cameron's administration go off the rails in a few cycles.
Yep, Thaddeus Marshall.
The Whigs do have their pros and cons, and while they have softened the anti-Catholicism over the years it hasn't gone away altogether.
And thanks, glad you're enjoying it! The Cameron administration is going to be rather chaotic that's for sure

Probably this, and I think there would be shock at how individualistic the US is OTL and also that the US is the dominant world power, rather than TTL where things are more multipolar.
I mean, a 'ww2' is probably a common idea TTL, and from there US dominance is easy to extrapolate by nature of not being destroyed.
People would also be surprised at the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, and Reconstruction.
i think the republicans being so abolitionist and progressive at that point would be the big confusion.

101. A Switch In Time…
101. A Switch In Time…

“I’ll tell you what the greatest tragedy in American history was. It was in 1939, when the Supreme Court destroyed the system of checks and balances that our Founding Fathers intended. When Howard Cameron ignored the constitutionally mandated consent of the sitting Senate to force through one of his hatchet-men via an illegal, illegitimate recess appointment and single-handedly shifted the court’s balance to give the government undue control over the economy. That was when the American free market died. American businesses could have saved themselves from price controls, wage floors, and inefficiency, but even the wise captains of industry had gotten themselves caught up in Cameron’s lofty promises.

It is one of the great tragedies of history that Howard Cameron is remembered as a popular hero who saved the economy, who remade his party in his own image, who had no qualms bending the constitution to his will to get what he wanted. In truth, he was an authoritarian and something of a strongman, despite abiding by the barest of democratic norms. No sooner was Justice Lowell found dead in his home than Cameron had a nominee, his loyal little Stanley Cleaver, waiting in the wings. And the Court was set to strike down his blatantly unconstitutional Fair Standards Code, so of course he had to rush. The Senate wasn’t in the mood for that, and was preparing to scrutinize Cleaver’s record, which was essentially non-existent because he was a corporate lawyer, not a jurist.

But the November recess [1] was coming up, and so as soon as the Senate headed home for the week, Cameron immediately granted Cleaver a recess appointment, and just in time for arguments over the Code. In a rushed judgement, no doubt due to pressure from the administration, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the Code was constitutional, in clear defiance of all established law and judicial precedent. Of course, as soon as December rolled around people were up in arms about it, and some Senators and businessmen sued, rightly accusing Cameron of circumventing the advice-and-consent clause while the Senate was still legally in session, merely in recess for a month [2]. But as the case worked its way through, Cameron marshalled his devoted legions and narrowly forced Cleaver’s confirmation through the Senate in a matter of days. The gutless Supreme Court then upheld the constitutionality of Cleaver’s recess appointment, and Cleaver himself lacked the common decency to recuse himself from the decision.

Since that fateful month, the federal government in general and the executive branch specifically has usurped more and more power from the other branches and levels of government. They continue to stifle the economy through their price controls and technocratic autocracy while inflation continues to climb past 15% [3]. When will it end? When will the public’s fascination with the cult of Howard Cameron end and they see the truth? For too long this myth has festered in the national conscience and it’s become just as ingrained into our collective minds as Washington and the cherry tree or what have you. It’s frankly dangerous for our country to go on like this. Argentina, our old hemispheric rival, has an inflation rate of only 2.5%, they have a budget as close to balanced as any major power, and most importantly their political system is unused to these demagogic cults of personality. There is no Cameronism there. Sure, leaders like Alem or Ferraro or the Cleburnes are beloved there, but no one has turned their policies into dogmas the way we have with Cameron.

We don’t see this kind of judicial manipulation and debasement in other modern, civilized countries. It’s uniquely American that the judiciary has been corrupted into another political lever with which to advance policies and ideologies. They certainly don’t do it in Argentina, nor even in China or western Europe. Howard Cameron not only circumvented the Senate’s constitutionally mandated duties, but he also placed on the bench an utter hack, a man with no real legal experience. Stanley Cleaver was a corporate lawyer; he had never argued constitutional law in his life. His only qualifications were being Cameron’s friend and being unquestioningly loyal to Cameron’s directives. Cameron might as well have nominated himself to the bench instead. And now, you know, we have the President appointing his campaign manager to the bench, and there’s the whole case of whether tariffs count as a matter of national security that’s pending before the court. Precedents matter and Howard Cameron initiated some of the very worst, most damaging and anti-democratic precedents in our American political tradition.”

-From “A CONVERSATION WITH PATRICIA LINZ, R. M. Berryhill School of Political Science, Charleston College, February 7th, 2025

“Less than two years after its implementation, the Fair Standards Code had lost its initial near-unanimous support. While still supported by many sectors of the economy, some businessmen chafed at the price controls and wage floors, especially small, non-corporate businesses. Often, independent tradesmen found themselves unable to compete with larger firms under the regulations and prices set by the government. In one egregious case, a tailor in Cincinnati was fined for selling a suit at 35 cents rather than the government-mandated 40 [4], while another was arrested because the fabrics that he made his suits from were home-spun and therefore had not been inspected and approved by officers of the Department of Industry and Planning’s Code enforcement division. Coal companies were outraged when the DIP imposed new labor codes on the industry to avert a potentially ruinous coal miners’ strike in Pennsylvania and western Virginia [5]. By the spring of 1938, discontent among both small businesses and coal companies was at a breaking point, and the two groups pooled their resources to file suit against the government and try and have the Supreme Court restrict the Fair Standards Code’s scope and the DIP’s enforcement authority.

The plaintiffs used the arrest of Samuel Seely, the tailor arrested for using homemade materials in his suits, as their main case, with coal executives joining in to end the new wage floors and collective bargaining stipulations that Cameron and DIP secretary Clarence Dern had imposed. Their lawyers alleged that the Fair Standards Code violated the Commerce Clause because it overstepped the federal government’s constitutional bounds by regulating both the “direct” and “indirect effects” of interstate commerce. Seely’s lawyers argued that Congress could only lawfully regulate the former and, since Seely only sold his suits locally, the elements of the Code that led to his arrest and fines were unconstitutional. The coal companies also claimed that the DIP’s enforcement of labor union protections violated the Commerce Clause because all the coal mining and labor contracts took place in one state and therefore were only indirectly related to interstate commerce. Lower courts took a conservative reading of the Commerce Clause and sided with Seely and his allies, as the case Seely v. Dern worked its way towards the Supreme Court’s docket.

It was no surprise to political observers that the Supreme Court decided to hear Seely, and it was also likely that the court would strike down key provisions of the IROA and severely limit the operations of the DIP and FSC. The Court sat at a 5-4 conservative/progressive split, with five justices appointed by the past three Democratic presidents (Hepburn and Delaney each appointed two and Cabell one), and four by the past two Whigs (one elderly McGovern nominee and three from President Fountain). However, right before oral arguments on the case began at the end of October, Justice Nathan Lowell, a Hepburn appointee, suffered a severe stroke and died hours later, throwing the balance of the court into doubt. President Cameron, anxious to protect one of his most significant legislative achievements, prepared to nominate his close associate Stanley Carver, to fill the seat. However, just the day after Cameron made his announcement, the House and Senate voted to adjourn for their month-long November recess in a bid by anti-personalist Whigs to stall Cameron’s efforts to install one of his hatchet-men on the bench.

Rather than allow the Senate to slow-walk the confirmation process and risk Cleaver’s rejection by the Judiciary committee, Cameron took the unprecedented step of giving Cleaver a recess appointment to the Supreme Court while Congress was still technically in session, denouncing the Senate for “shrinking from their duty.” Cleaver quickly took his place on the bench, sitting in on oral arguments and preparing his decision. It only took the justices a speedy two weeks to issue a formal ruling: by a 5-4 margin, the Supreme Court ruled that the Industrial Reconstruction and Organization Act was constitutional, and that the Fair Standards Code and the Department of Industry and Planning had not overstepped the constitutional boundaries established by the Commerce Clause. Cameron celebrated the court’s ruling in Seely v. Dern, but many were outraged at his conduct. Congress quickly agreed to return to Washington, while several members of the judiciary committee sued, claiming that Cameron’s recess appointment of Cleaver was unconstitutional because Congress was still legally in session.

Meanwhile, Cameron renominated Cleaver to the Supreme Court and all but dared his fellow Whigs to reject him. In his radio addresses, the President claimed that “the reckless forces of reckless business are arrayed against you, the common men. They have tried to subvert the constitution through the courts but were only turned back at the eleventh hour, and now they try to subvert both the constitution and the courts in their avaricious crusade.” Even as the legal challenge to Cleaver’s recess appointment landed before the Supreme Court, the Senate forwent a contentious fight over Cleaver’s relatively light resume and confirmed him by a vote of 56-30. With Cleaver formally a Supreme Court justice, the effort to nullify his recess appointment fizzled out as the court ruled in another 5-4 decision that, because Congress was “in the President’s judgement, de facto not in session,” his recess appointment was constitutional. Though Democrats criticized this ruling as eroding the system of checks and balances, Cameron’s supporters were overwhelmingly supportive of his actions during the brief constitutional crisis. Having once again stared down the moderates and won, Cameron’s grip on his Whig party only grew tighter…”

-From THE DETROIT LION by John Philip Yates, published 2012

[1] TTL Congress has taken to giving itself a month off for Thanksgiving, which has been a federal holiday since the Cox administration in the early 1870s.
[2] President Obama ran into similar constitutional objections when he recess-appointed Richard Cordray to lead the CFPB while the Senate was technically in session.
[3] As Peronist as the US becomes, we’ll never get quite as bad as OTL Argentina simply because of the sheer size of the American economy.
[4] This happened IOTL with the NRA.
[5] The NRA threatened to do this OTL but were ultimately able to force the coal companies to come to an agreement with the unions.

Last edited:
Very funny to see the US and Argentina flipped here. Is the US just going to deal with perpetually high inflation fighting against wage and price controls? I'm starting to think the Democrats might have some good points when it comes to interventionism in this universe, lol.

Argentina, our old hemispheric rival, has an inflation rate of only 2.5%, they have a budget as close to balanced as any major power, and most importantly their political system is unused to these demagogic cults of personality. There is no Cameronism there. Sure, leaders like Alem or Ferraro or the Cleburnes are beloved there, but no one has turned their policies into dogmas the way we have with Cameron
Ha...! Henry Clay did this. All the talk of a Peronism analoge.

Will be interesting to see how American Peronism develops, especially since the Whigs not being dependent on the Solid South makes a conservative coalition like the one between Republicans and Dixiecrats that blocked most New Deal legislation after 1937 OTL much less likely

The Cameronist youths
are united and will triumph
And as always they will
Sing their hearts out:

Long live Cameron! Long live Cameron !

Hail to that great American
Who knew how to captivate
The great masses of people
Fighting against capital.

Chorus:
Cameron, Cameron, how great you are!
My President, how worthy you are!
Cameron, Cameron, our great leader,
You are the first worker!

-Excerpt from popular song "Cameronist March", the unofficial anthem of the Whig Party during Cameron's tenure

Very funny to see the US and Argentina flipped here. Is the US just going to deal with perpetually high inflation fighting against wage and price controls? I'm starting to think the Democrats might have some good points when it comes to interventionism in this universe, lol.
Yeah, pretty much. In Argentina, meanwhile, voters lose their minds when inflation gets above 5%.
I see Cameron and the administration investigating large companies and businessmen for 'corruption'.
Oh definitely, especially after his comeback.
Ha...! Henry Clay did this. All the talk of a Peronism analoge.
To be honest I didn't intend to go in this direction when I started writing, but it just kind of happened organically.
Will be interesting to see how American Peronism develops, especially since the Whigs not being dependent on the Solid South makes a conservative coalition like the one between Republicans and Dixiecrats that blocked most New Deal legislation after 1937 OTL much less likely
Indeed, although the results of the 1936 elections mean that the Whigs do have a sizeable southern contingent
How long until Cameron decides to sweep away the last remnants of the Old Republic?
Soon... very soon.
The Cameronist youths
And as always they will
Sing their hearts out:

Chorus:

-Excerpt from popular song "Cameronist March", the unofficial anthem of the Whig Party during Cameron's tenure
Haha this is canon now, they'll play this at the 1940 Whig convention
I had forgotten, by the way, what's been happening in Japan. Did they still have their modernization?
Sort of, there's no Meiji restoration but the Shogunate slowly industrialized. I'd say Japan is in a similar situation to Thailand.

The Cameronist youths
And as always they will
Sing their hearts out:

Chorus:

This has made me look into Peronist posters for this TL. Do you accept artwork @TheHedgehog ?

102. My Life for Cameron
102. My Life for Cameron

“Under Cameron’s leadership, the Whigs were both more united and more bitterly divided than any point in the party’s history since the Civil War. The president had pushed, mostly successfully, the largest expansion of government authority in history. He had not only given the executive branch extensive direct influence over the economy, but he had also nationalized the entire power and light industry into one state-owned corporation. A federal housing authority had been established to reduce urban poverty and provide jobs. This slum-clearance program was one of Cameron’s most popular initiatives, bringing safe, affordable housing to northern blacks and urbanizing impoverished southern white tenant farmers alike [1]. At the same time, his style of leadership and penchant for instigating conflict alienated elements of the party establishment. Heading into the convention, Cameron’s own vice president, Thomas Fisher, quietly floated a challenge, but the president’s overwhelming personal popularity quickly silenced talk of rebellion from within the administration.

As Cameron sought to unite his party ahead of the convention to prevent a potentially dangerous nomination battle, one faction of the party emerged as a wild card: organized labor. The trade union leadership was suspicious of Cameron and opposed him, but the president’s social reforms and charismatic populism won over the union rank-and-file. Efforts by union leaders to keep the labor movement from aligning itself closely with the Whigs were defeated by the general membership in a series of contentious votes and conferences throughout 1938-1940, furthering the already close ties between the Whigs and the unions. Cameron, eager to bolster his support in a party where, despite his considerable successes, his anti-personalist opponents still held influence, moved to transform the unions into another arm of the Whig party. To do this, he entered into negotiations with the leaders of the most important unions, chiefly the miners’ union, grateful for his browbeating of intransigent mine operators, and the broad-front National Congress of Labor Unions, which enjoyed significant influence within the movement.

In what has become known as the Treaty of Cleveland, Cameron reached an agreement with the major unions to secure their support for his re-election campaign. In exchange for their endorsements and, unofficially, sizeable campaign contributions and the use of union organizers to campaign for Cameron on factory floors, Cameron allowed the unions to effectively choose a slate of congressional and senate candidates across the Midwest and mid-Atlantic states [2]. With this important faction aligned with him, only a handful of traditional McGovernite progressives stood opposed to him. Their candidate, Maine governor Joseph Goodman, had been a key supporter of McGovern during his campaigns in 1904 and 1908 and sat well in the center of the party’s ideological spectrum. It was rumored that he would have run in 1936 had Cameron decided not to, but Goodman had grown so disillusioned with the Cameronist program that he decided he had no choice but to challenge the sitting president.

Ultimately, Goodman was unable to even force the convention past the first ballot. Cameron’s allies dominated the platform committees, ruthlessly sidelining dissident elements of the party, and his efforts with the unions and southerners successfully earned him over two thirds of the delegates on the first ballot. Cameron accepted his nomination amid “earth-shattering” applause and supportive chants; he had scarcely begun his address when the delegates began singing the “Cameronist March” [3], which had been written by one of his campaign managers for the 1936 election and had been adopted by his most devoted supporters as the unofficial anthem of the Whig party. “We have secured so much progress over the last four years,” he declared. “But there is still work to be done. We have to pass a millionaire’s tax so the elites who brought on this economic calamity through their own greed and short-sightedness pay their fair share towards the people’s Union we are striving towards.” He went on to tout the passage of Social Security and his rural electrification programs, which were greeted with cheers and more chanting from the delegates.

The convention was broadcast live over the radio, giving those listening in at home a sense of the Whigs’ party unity and Cameron’s oratory. Even the re-nomination of vice-president Fisher, who Cameron despised, was without controversy. The Detroit convention was a resounding victory for President Cameron, who successfully masked the party’s internal divisions with a triumphant coronation for a second term. Media coverage of the convention either denounced the entire party as Cameron’s personal faction or praised the party for its uniform support of Cameron’s policies. To further unify the party and broaden its appeal into the south, Cameron announced that all Whig candidates would, in addition to their party affiliation, appear on the ballot under the “Front for Prosperity,” a big-tent vehicle for his re-election bid [4]. The goal was to pitch the party and its platform to southern voters who supported the Third American System but were reluctant to vote for a Whig. Indeed, Cameron’s decision would prove fortuitous as the chaotic Democratic convention came to an end in Houston, and the formation of electoral alliances would later become commonplace in American politics…”

-From THE DETROIT LION by John Philip Yates, published 2012

“After their landslide defeat in 1936 and further congressional bleeding in 1938, the Democrats were in no position to mount a true challenge to the Whigs in 1940. President Cameron was at the height of his popularity in 1940, and the Democrats had not only failed to outline a credible counter to his proposals, but they were deeply divided over several of the President’s initiatives. For instance, the party had split over whether to support Cameron’s federal deposit insurance program and his agricultural policies. Many southern Democrats supported the latter measure to appeal to their rural constituents, while Democrats representing urban immigrant neighborhoods supported the former. This widened the split between liberal, fiscally minded northerners and populist, conservative, and paternalistic southerners within the party.

To try and keep the party united, elders attempted to draft former President Cabell to run, but he refused, preferring to remain in retirement in Virginia. Without even the unpopular Cabell to keep the party from imploding, the convention was all but guaranteed to be contentious. Northern Democrats were initially split between half a dozen candidates, but united behind former Illinois congressman, and current president of the University of Chicago, William Butterworth. Butterworth was a noted market liberal who had stridently criticized many of Cameron’s policies as harming the recovery, especially the IROA, the agriculture reform, and the nationalization of the electrical grid. These stances made him unpopular with southern Democrats, who were desperate to maintain the support of their rural constituents who were generally supportive of Whiggish agricultural policy.

These southerners were unable to come to a clear consensus on a preferred nominee, eventually narrowing the field down to two candidates: former Speaker of the House John Martin, and former North Carolina senator Harold McCord, both of whom had lost their seats in the 1936 landslide. However, the continued divisions within the southern bloc and the growing exhaustion among the delegates eventually led to Butterworth claiming the nomination on the sixtieth ballot, much to the horror and anger of the southerners. Furious, the Alabama delegation led a walkout of almost two-thirds of the southern delegates. They then formed the National Democratic party and endorsed the Whig ticket. It was hoped that by joining the Front for Prosperity and agreeing to support parts of the Whig platform, vulnerable Democrats would avoid serious Whig competitors and cling to their seats.

As a result, the Democratic party did not appear on the ballot across much of the south, even in such ancestrally Democratic states as Mississippi and Texas, where the only candidate to select was Howard Cameron, on the Front for Prosperity ballot line. While the Democrats were, given the conditions, never going to win, the defection of the Nationals kneecapped the larger party’s ability to compete in the congressional and senatorial elections. President Cameron campaigned vigorously, travelling across the country to promote his welfare and public works programs. He also frequently attacked the Democrats for their division and lack of direction, saying that “as soon as we destroyed the root of our economic ills – the ability of finance and business to cheat and steal from the people – the Democrat party has suddenly lost its political compass. They are adrift and lost without the constant support of the corrupt business world.” The Democrats struggled to respond to such criticism.

William Butterworth was condemned as heartless for his economic opinions, which he published as newspaper editorials and delivered in economics lectures at the University of Chicago. He was a strong opponent of the Whigs’ heavy deficit spending, calling it “criminally reckless,” and said that legislation such as the IROA “destroyed the free market in order to punish innocent businessmen who form the economic engine of our Republic.” These statements were easy fodder for the Whigs to call him a corporate lackey and an enemy of the working man. Cameron’s decision to form the Front for Prosperity also complicated the Democrats’ ability to strike back, as it was too easy for Whig operatives to spin criticism of the Front as attacks on the economic prosperity that the party credited to Cameron’s policies. Cameron took credit for the economic recovery, telling attendees of one rally in Saint Louis that, “we have built up new instruments of public power. Our Nation is tired of the breadlines. We do not desire a return to the mirage of wealth that the Democrats fabricated. We do not desire an indifferent government, but one of action, one that will roll up its sleeves and work for the working masses, not the wealthy monopolists.”

Howard CameronWilliam Butterworth
Electoral Vote5353
Popular Vote38,874,33614,292,019
Percentage71.126.2

Cameron closed his barnstorming campaign with a final speech from Detroit City Hall, where he famously declared “The forces of finance and corruption, who consider the Government a mere appendage of their profit apparatus, have never been so united against a candidate as they are against me. Indeed, they are unanimous in their hate for me – and I welcome their hatred.” He ultimately won the election with the largest landslide since James Monroe in 1820, winning over seventy percent of the vote and all but three electoral votes – Butterworth’s sole statewide victory was in Vermont. It was a crushing blow to the Democratic party, and downballot reverberations cost the party another fifty seats, putting the party at it’s lowest seat count since before the Civil War, numbering just 71 congressmen [5]. In the Senate, the Democrats lost three seats for a total of just 18, while the Whigs and their National coalition partners together numbered 68 senators.

The election results were a decisive, deep-cutting rebuke of the Democratic party. Public perception was that the party lacked a platform or any ideas, but simply existed to try unsuccessfully to block Cameron’s legislative initiatives. As Cameron remarked to his inner circle, “we have enough of a proper opposition party within the Whigs.” The formation of the National Democrats reinforced this perception, as nearly half of the party decided to, for political expediency, align with the opposition. The gambit worked, as all 40 congressmen and three senators who stood for office as members of the party won their elections, while the Democrats lost all but nine of their southern congressional seats. This coalition would grow unwieldy in the coming years, but in the short term it gave President Cameron unprecedented control over the government.

While the Whigs lost ground among big business, wealthy voters, and businessmen, they made extraordinary gains among the urban working class, including Catholics, organized labor, and the rural southern poor. Throughout the campaign, the Whigs portrayed themselves as a movement of the masses, despite their policies encouraging industrial cartels and the explosion of political corruption and graft through the Third American System’s programs. Public perception, carefully influenced by Michael Danforth’s newspapers and savvy advertising, was that President Cameron was a national hero and champion of the poor. Cameron celebrated his re-election as “a triumph for the working men and women” of the country. As he declared in his victory speech, “everywhere the forces of corruption and monopoly are in swift, fearful retreat. We have engineered a new prosperity, one for the whole of the Nation, not just the hoarders and monopolists. They hated me because I am for you, but we have triumphed nonetheless!”

-From STARING INTO THE ABYSS: AMERICA 1920-1940 by Greg Carey, published 2001

[1] The federal housing authority generally defers to state segregation laws when building housing, appeasing both the civic-minded black communities of northern cities like Philadelphia and the white supremacist southern Whigs.
[2] The Peronists did this IOTL.
[3] Credit to @FossilDS for coming up with this idea.
[4] Much like Argentina’s electoral alliances, such as the Front for Victory.
[5] With National Democrats included this rises to 111, which is still the Democrats’ lowest seat count since they won 98 in 1880.

Last edited:
Excellent update
If you wanna continue with the peronist parallels, could you make Cameron rename an US territory after himself, just like Chaco used to be Provincia Presidente Peron ?

Great update!
I know it's not going to happen, but I really wouldn't mind Cameron suffering a case of acute lead poisoning, the sooner the better.