Either being in good health during their term, who would you prefer for the 1851 Pennsylvania seat?

• David Wilmot (Whig)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • John Sergeant (Whig)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter XXV: The fight for our rights
The 14/15 amendments from OTL have meshed into one as Thaddeus Stevens wanted, seeing the issue of citizenship naturally linked to political rights. This was due to his worry that not passing everything in one amendment could lead to people abandoning the fight, and as such leading to a disadvantage for the recently freed slaves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the war had ended, and all slaves were liberated as soon as the Union touched whichever Confederate land they were being held in, it was clear that the South, nor the Copperhead Democrats would seek to re-establish the peculiar institution in all but name. Due to this, it was clear that Republicans would have to move past the mere abolition of slavery, but outright enshrine at the very least the most basic of civil rights in the Constitution so as to protect the gains made by the Emancipation Proclamation and the fifteenth amendment which ended slavery across the union.

With this being clear, two different yet linked approaches were needed to protect freedmen's rights, these being congressional law and constitutional amendment. As constitutional amendments are incredibly complex to deal with, the law was seen as the main tool to ensure civil rights for freedmen as Congress (and later the states) negotiated on the specifics of said amendment,

As railroads and territorial reorganizations were simple strokes of pens that were quickly lost in the excitement regarding the beginning of Reconstruction. This excitement was due to Grant's and especially Butler's Radical credentials; though there was also great impatience due to the thirteenth amendment having freed the slaves over a year ago, yet action had not yet been taken to protect African-American rights. With this in mind, the language for the Civil Rights Act of 1866 would state:

Sec. 1. That all persons born in the United States and not subject to any foreign power, are hereby declared to be citizens of the United States. That there shall be no discrimination in civil rights or immunities among the inhabitants of any State or Territory of the United States on account of race, color, or previous condition of slavery; but the inhabitants of every race and color, without regard to any condition of slavery or involuntary servitude, shall have the same right to make and enforce contracts, to sue, be parties, and give evidence, to inherit, purchase, lease, sell, hold, and convey real and personal property, and to full and equal benefit of all laws and proceedings for the security of person and property, and shall be subject to like punishment, pains, and penalties, and to none other, any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to the contrary notwithstanding.

Sec. 2. And be it further enacted, That any person who, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, shall subject, or cause to be subjected, any inhabitant of any State or Territory to the deprivation of any right secured or protected by this act, or to different punishment, pains, or penalties on account of such person having at any time been held in a condition of slavery or involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, or by reason of his color or race, than is prescribed for the punishment of white persons, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction, shall be punished by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding one year, or both, in the discretion of the court.

The Civil Rights Act having been approved on 2 February 1866, meant a huge expansion of rights across the states, as now all freed slaves were citizens of the United States, and as such could enjoy its benefits in all manners. With this realization, the South would loudly complain that it would have to treat the freedmen as equals if they ever had the hope of rejoining the union. These complaints fed into the Radical Republican argument that the South couldn't be allowed into the Union without being Reconstructed, as they had not yet abandoned their disloyalty towards the Union.

Though comfortable in the knowledge that the Civil Rights Act wouldn't be repealed any time soon as Republicans held supermajorities in both houses, it was still necessary for the constitution to protect those freed by the war.

The fourteenth amendment would hold two separate yet unified goals, these being the granting of citizenship and the protection of voting rights. On this first point, the amendment would state: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

One of the following sections would include language from the 1864 Wade-Davis Bill, stating that Ironclad Oath and an additional constitutional oath be applied. Following this, these limits shall be placed on a number of positions and will of these positions included, the right to vote shall be counted upon the limitations. This was designed to help keep the Confederates from assuming power again.

Following this logic, though the punishment of voter impression will be punished, even if its effectiveness was limited. The major impact here instead was focused upon the right to vote, such stating: "The right to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, nativity, property, education, or religious beliefs, or previous condition of servitude." Following this, there would be no issue of sex, nor of age, with the right to vote being extended by women, due to great pressure on behalf of the women of DC, and the voting age lowered by a parade of Union child soldiers, patriotic young men who lied about there ages (and for the voting argument, younger than 21) who spoke on the issue of being more than happy to give up their lives for the Union, but not being able to vote.

These arguments passed, the 14th Amendment would be ratified by the required 28 states on February 13, 1867, after the state of Wisconsin ratified the amendment. The first and last ratifications of this amendment were Connecticut and California, these ratifying on June 30, 1866, and May 6, 1959, respectively. (The last ratification before the 20th century was Mississippi on January 17, 1870, this was the final state before California.)

The 14th Amendment being included in the Constitution would lead to an amazing explosion of civil rights, leading to an explosion of African-American officeholding at the state, local, and federal level, as the right to hold office was guaranteed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always feel free to ask questions, pitch in, offer help, suggestions, criticisms, etc. This might not be a 100% collab TL, but I do hope you all feel like you're part of this in your own way, and can see your mark on this TL. Much love, and a special shoutout to @TheRockofChickamauga and my boi Daniel Sickles (who, spoiler alert, is a Senator ITTL [1857-1863] because he's just that cool even if my bias is clearly pro-Republican. Plus, Ira Harris doesn't exactly elicit much confidence in me. Speaking of cool New York Democrats... I'd love to hear yall's thoughts on John Adams Dix).

Last edited:
In OTL, were there any notable desertions by Union soldiers once the Emancipation Proclamation came out? I haven't read of anything of the sort; James McPherson's book said that the overwhelming opinion of the Union army at the time was that anything to weaken the Confederacy was acceptable.
From what I've seen, the Emancipation Proclamation lead to a rash of desertions which helped lead to the 1863 draft and the NYC riots. ITTL, the controversy surrounding the draft will be less bad along racial lines, but worse along general lines than IOTL due to the fact that African-Americans will be included in it, but the ages in the act will be 17-64 ITTL rather than the 20-45 as IOTL (this will also be the basis of the order for 200,000 volunteers ITTL (75,000 IOTL).

The language will call for the enrollment of "all males between 17 and 64 years of age unless exempted by the Act."

The 1861 militia act also includes equal pay for African-American soldiers as to white soldiers and the reduction of the enlistment age by one year to 17 years old. ($13.00 a month + a $3.50 clothing allowance, rather than the $10.00 per month minus an optional $3.00 clothing allowance.)

Last edited:
Not dead, just went down the rabbit hole and have been doing a retrospective series of elections for the US since 1788. Basically, I see this timeline as a bit of a "Literary Universe", and do find myself inspired by the amazing TL "A More Perfect Union" from the incredibly talented @HeX . Though I would never dare compare myself with their talent, nor do I want to just add their ideas to this TL. Rather, my idea is now to examine the Civil War from the perspective of what I consider it to be: the last gasp of the white supremacist slavers who threw a hissy fit because they lost a (relatively) democratic election and because "their" party wasn't pro-slavery enough even though they had basically held the Union hostage since the signing of the Constitution. Though they had been able to couch the Nullification Crisis in the language of "state's rights", as Calhoun said in 1830: "I consider the Tariff, but as the occasion, rather than the real cause of the present unhappy state of things. The truth can no longer be disguised, that the peculiar domestick institution of the Southern States, and the consequent direction, which that and her soil and climate have given to her industry, have placed them in regard to taxation and appropriations in opposite relation to the majority of the Union; against the danger of which, if there be no protective power in the reserved rights of the States, they must in the end be forced to rebel, or submit to have their permanent interests sacraficed, their domestick institutions subverted by Colonization and other schemes, and themselves & children reduced to wretchedness. Thus situated, the denial of the right of the State to interfere constitutionally in the last resort, more alarms the thinking, than all other causes."

Even with the immense victory by Chief Justice Roger B. Taney in deciding Dred Scott v. Sanford in the most pro-Southern way possible, the slave power still revolted because Republicans spoke of stopping the expansion of slavery, with abolitionists being a loud, yet incredibly sidelined minority which had no hope of affecting the party outside of New England. Even so, as small as the abolitionists were in the Republican party, even fewer advocated for civil rights before the Civil War, meaning that even with compensated emancipation (which would've been the most likely offered, if that), the South could've turned the former slaves into sharecroppers and denied them as many rights as possible, yet their intransigence on the issue of slavery led to the most destructive war on American soil.

This (in my mind) lends credence to the argument that the idea of a "conspiracy by slave power" wasn't too far off, and I want to explore it. By that I mean, explore the Civil War as something by a South that actually has something to complain about in regards to having the issue of slavery be decided in favor of the north (think extra Adams' terms [father and son]). This TL will still be the main priority (I'm not yet fool enough to try and divide myself between multiple projects at the same time), but there will be some allusions to previous changes from before the PoD (such as the previously mentioned Vice-President Houston).

Not dead, just went down the rabbit hole and have been doing a retrospective series of elections for the US since 1788. Basically, I see this timeline as a bit of a "Literary Universe", and do find myself inspired by the amazing TL "A More Perfect Union" from the incredibly talented @HeX . Though I would never dare compare myself with their talent, nor do I want to just add their ideas to this TL. Rather, my idea is now to examine the Civil War from the perspective of what I consider it to be: the last gasp of the white supremacist slavers who threw a hissy fit because they lost a (relatively) democratic election and because "their" party wasn't pro-slavery enough even though they had basically held the Union hostage since the signing of the Constitution. Though they had been able to couch the Nullification Crisis in the language of "state's rights", as Calhoun said in 1830: "I consider the Tariff, but as the occasion, rather than the real cause of the present unhappy state of things. The truth can no longer be disguised, that the peculiar domestick institution of the Southern States, and the consequent direction, which that and her soil and climate have given to her industry, have placed them in regard to taxation and appropriations in opposite relation to the majority of the Union; against the danger of which, if there be no protective power in the reserved rights of the States, they must in the end be forced to rebel, or submit to have their permanent interests sacraficed, their domestick institutions subverted by Colonization and other schemes, and themselves & children reduced to wretchedness. Thus situated, the denial of the right of the State to interfere constitutionally in the last resort, more alarms the thinking, than all other causes."

Even with the immense victory by Chief Justice Roger B. Taney in deciding Dred Scott v. Sanford in the most pro-Southern way possible, the slave power still revolted because Republicans spoke of stopping the expansion of slavery, with abolitionists being a loud, yet incredibly sidelined minority which had no hope of affecting the party outside of New England. Even so, as small as the abolitionists were in the Republican party, even fewer advocated for civil rights before the Civil War, meaning that even with compensated emancipation (which would've been the most likely offered, if that), the South could've turned the former slaves into sharecroppers and denied them as many rights as possible, yet their intransigence on the issue of slavery led to the most destructive war on American soil.

This (in my mind) lends credence to the argument that the idea of a "conspiracy by slave power" wasn't too far off, and I want to explore it. By that I mean, explore the Civil War as something by a South that actually has something to complain about in regards to having the issue of slavery be decided in favor of the north (think extra Adams' terms [father and son]). This TL will still be the main priority (I'm not yet fool enough to try and divide myself between multiple projects at the same time), but there will be some allusions to previous changes from before the PoD (such as the previously mentioned Vice-President Houston).
Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Small Focus: New York
The mark of the Civil War, and the explosion of the Republican party's popularity due to the victory in the Civil War, led to New York, a former Whig /Democratic split to become even more Republican than it had already been since the party's state-level victory in 1855 [1]. The domination of the Whig party had been interrupted by the Free Soil party, which would were the main predecessors to the Republican party. As the election of 1864 and 1865 were coming along, the races weren't even close, with 1864's election having a 10, 000 vote difference between the Union and Democratic ticket leading to 370,000 votes to 360,000 respectively [2]. The inclusion of former Senator and incumbent governor John Adams Dix led to an easy victory by the Republican party, which had allied itself with Dix in the 1862 election [3}.

The 1864 state ticket was as follows:
Governor: John Adams Dix (Incumbent)
Lieutenant Governor: Thomas G. Alvord
Canal Commissioner: Franklin A. Alberger (Incumbent)
Inspector of State Prisons: David P. Forrest (Previously served)

The Dix administration having successfully managed the New York efforts during the second half of the Civil War, its reputation was established by the successful management of the New York City draft riots which had erupted after the necessary conscription act. Proud of his work in putting down the Riots, and in managing the eponymous Dix-Hill Cartel which dealt with prisoner exchange between the North and South as well as in ensuring Maryland's loyalty, it was clear that Dix would have a prominent place in New York politics for years to come, regardless of which party he chose [4]. This administration wouldn't stand out much, as it would consist mainly of getting New York back to normal after having mobilized so many men for the war.

The election of 1865 would be similar, as the Republican domination of New York continued, with some of the candidates being veterans of the war. With the popularity of the Republicans, added by a victorious end to the war, and the hero status of the top-billing candidate, the election wasn't even close, with the Republicans winning with a 35,000 vote advantage, more than tripling their 1864 margin of victory.

1865 ticket:
Secretary of State: Daniel E. Sickles [5]
Comptroller: Thomas Hillhouse
Attorney General: John H. Martindale
Treasurer: George W. Schuyler
State Engineer: Charles K. Graham
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Ward Hunt
Canal Commissioner: Alexander Barkley
Inspector of State Prisons: Henry A. Barnum
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: Patrick H. Jones

With continued Republican domination of the state of New York, the proposals to restructure the US would go forth, with bills to consolidate both the states of New York and New Jersey as well as consolidating "New York" so as to make it into a single city. These proposals combined, and with a powerful New York City coming into the view before the end of the decade, it would lead to a transition of the capital from Washington D. C. to New York, with non-federal land being returned to the state of Maryland, in a show of gratitude for the loyalty to the union. [6]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] IOTL, the American (Know-Nothing) Party won the 1855 election, which was the first which the Republican Party contested. The Republicans would win in the 1856 election and would have a mixed record with victory, though they won another clean sweep in 1862 IOT.
[2] IOTL, the margin of victory was less than 8,000 votes. I'm rounding (to make it clear, since I just wanna highlight the vote differences).
[3] ITTL, John Adams Wix wins the gubernatorial race on the Democratic/Constitutional Union, with the Republican Union winning the rest of the positions on the ticket.
[4] These achievements are true to OTL, though he didn't actually put down the New York City Draft Riots, since he took the reins of the city's military force after the riots had been put down. ITTL, as governor, he puts them down. The Dix-Hill Cartel did happen. He also served as senator for a short amount of time, though ITL, he's a multiple-term/seat senator.
[5] ITTL, the margin of victory is 35,000 rather than 30,000. IOTL, Daniel Sickles was one of the names proposed at the Republican convention for the position of Secretary of State, though he only got 3 votes. Francis C. Barlow was nominated (and won) in 1865 IOTL, and ITTL, he's elected in 1867 (he was not renominated in 1867 IOTL.)
[6] As mentioned before, the US capital will be switched to an enlarged NYC so as to centralize the government and put the capital in non-South adjacent territory. I like the idea, and will also apply it to the state (goodbye Albany) since I do subscribe a bit to the idea that putting capitals in major population centers (which tend to have local news) leads to reduced corruption and increased citizen participation.

Last edited:
I do have a full list of New York Governors and Elected Officials written up. If people are interested in seeing it, feel free to respond or like the post, since the list is pretty long, and I'd hate to clog this up, but damn was it some work.

I do have a full list of New York Governors and Elected Officials written up. If people are interested in seeing it, feel free to respond or like the post, since the list is pretty long, and I'd hate to clog this up, but damn was it some work.
I'd like to see the list. Keep up with the updates.

A retrospective: New York
I'd like to see the list. Keep up with the updates.
Sounds good. Thanks!
NY Gubernatorial Elections (1777-1864)
1777: Philip Schuyler(Nonpartisan)/Abraham Ten Broeck (N)

1780: George Clinton (Nonpartisan)/Pierre Van Cortlandt (N)

1783: Philip Schuyler (Nonpartisan)/Pierre Van Cortlandt (N)

1786: George Clinton (Nonpartisan)/Pierre Van Cortlandt (N)

1789: George Clinton (Anti-Administration)/Pierre Van Cortlandt (AA)

1792: John Jay (Federalist)/Stephen Van Rensselaer (F)

1795: John Jay (Federalist)/Stephen Van Rensselaer (F)

1798: John Jay (Federalist)/Stephen Van Rensselaer (F)

1801: John Jay (Federalist)/Stephen Van Rensselaer (F)

1804: Aaron Burr (Democratic-Republican [Tammany Hall])/Oliver Phelps (DR [TH])

1807: Morgan Lewis (Democratic-Republican [Lewisite])/Thomas Storm (DR [L])

1810: Jonas Platt (Federalist)/Nicholas Fish (F)

1813:Stephen Van Rensselaer (Federalist)/George Hungtinton (F)

1816: Rufus King (Federalist)/George Tibbits (F)

1819*: DeWitt Clinton (Democratic-Republican {Clintonian])/John Tayler (DR [C])

1822: Solomon Southwick (Independent)/Henry Hungtinton (Democratic-Republican [Clintonian])

1824: DeWitt Clinton (Democratic-Republican [Clintonian])/James Tallmadge Jr. (DR [C])

1826: DeWitt Clinton (Democratic-Republican [Clintonian])/Henry Huntington (DR [C])

1828: Smith Thompson(National Republican)/Francis Granger (NR)

1830: Ezekiel Williams (Working Men's)/Samuel Stevens (National Republican)

1832: Francis Granger (National Republican)/Samuel Stevens (NR)

1834: William H. Seward (Whig)/Silas M. Stilwell (W)

1836: Isaac S. Smith (Locofoco)/Moses Jacques (L)

1838: William H. Seward (Whig)/Luther Bradish (W)

1840: William H. Seward (Whig)/Luther Bradish (W)

1842: Luther Bradish (Whig)/Gabriel Furman (W)

1844: Millard Fillmore (Whig)/Samuel J. Wilkin (W)

1846: John Young (Whig/Anti-Rent)/Hamilton Fish (W)

1848: John Adams Dix (Democratic-Barnburner/Free Soil)/Seth Merrill Gates (DB/FS)

1850: Washington Hunt (Whig/Anti-Rent)/George J. Cornell (W)

1852: Minthorne Tompkins (Free Democratic)/Seth Merrill Gates (FD)

1854: Myron H. Clark (Whig/Anti-Nebraska/Free Democratic/Anti-Rent/Temperance)/Henry J. Raymond (W/AN)

1856: John Alsop King (Republican)/Henry R. Selden (R)

1858: Horace Greeley (Republican/American)/Robert Campbell (R/A)

1860: Edwin D. Morgan (Republican)/Robert Campbell (R)

1862: John Adams Dix (Democratic/Constitutional Union)/Lyman Tremain (Republican Union)

1864: John Adams Dix (Union)/Thomas G. Alvord (U)

* 1817 election doesn't happen, so OTL's 1820 election is held in 1819. No other changes occur.

NY State Official Elections (1844-1865)​
Canal Commissioners: Samuel Works (Whig)/Spencer Kellogg (W)/Elijah Rhoades (W)/Joseph H. Jackson (W)

Canal Commissioners: Charles Cook (Whig)/Thomas Clowes (W)

Secretary of State: Christopher Morgan (Whig)
Comptroller: Millard Fillmore (W/Anti-Rent)
Attorney General: Ambrose L. Jordan (W/AR)
Treasurer: Alvan Hunt (W)
State Engineer: Charles B. Stuart (W/AR)
Canal Commissioners: Charles Cook (W)/Jacob Hinds (W/AR)/Nelson J. Beach (W/AR)
Inspector of State Prisons: John B. Gedney (W)/Isaac N. Comstock (W)/David D. Spencer (W)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Ambrose L. Jordan (W/AR)/Frederick Whittlesey (W/AR)/B. Davis Noxon (W)/Marcus T. Reynolds (W)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: J. T. Lamport (W/AR)

Canal Commissioner: Charles Augustus Wheaton(Democratic-Barnburner/Free Soil)
Inspector of State Prisons: William P. Angel (DB/FS)

Secretary of State: Christopher Morgan (Whig/Anti-Rent)
Comptroller: Washington Hunt (W/AR)
Attorney General: Samuel Stevens (W)
Treasurer: Alvah Hunt (W/AR)
State Engineer: Hezekiah C. Seymour (W/AR)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Joshua A. Spencer (W)
Canal Commissioner: Nelson J. Beach (W)
Inspector of State Prisons: Benjamin Squire (W)

Canal Commissioner: Ebenezer Blakely (Whig/Anti-Rent)
Inspector of State Prisons: Abner Baker (W)
Clerk of Court of Appeals: Wessell S. Smith (W)

Secretary of State: James C. Forsyth (Whig)
Comptroller: George W. Patterson (W)
Attorney General: Daniel Ullmann (W)
Treasurer: James M. Cook (W)
State Engineer: Hezekiah C. Seymour (W)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Samuel Alfred Foot (W)
Canal Commissioner: Henry Fitzhugh (W)
Inspector of State Prisons: Alexander H. Wells (W)

Canal Commissioner: Charles A. Wheaton (Free Democratic)
Inspector of State Prisons: George Curtis (FD)

Secretary of State: Charles B. Sedgwick (Free Democratic)
Comptroller: Seth Merrill Gates(FD)
Attorney General: John Jay (FD)
Treasurer: Nathan Soule(FD)
State Engineer: Silas Cornell (FD)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Leonard Gibbs (FD)
Canal Commissioner: Charles G. Case (FD)
Inspector of State Prisons: Horace Boardman (FD)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: Thomas G. Frost (FD)

Canal Commissioner
Henry Fitzhugh (W/Anti-Nebraska/Anti-Rent)
Inspector of State Prisons
Norwood Bowne (W/Anti-Nebraska/Anti-Rent)

Secretary of State: Preston King (Republican)
Comptroller: James M. Cook (R)
Attorney General: Abijah Mann, Jr. (R)
Treasurer: Alexander B. Williams (R)
State Engineer: George Geddes (R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Bradford R. Wood (R)
Canal Commissioner: Daniel H. Bissell (R)
Inspector of State Prisons: Wesley Bailey (R)

Canal Commissioner: Charles H. Sherrill (Republican)
Inspector of State Prisons: Wesley Bailey (R)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: Russell F. Hicks (R)

Secretary of State: Almon M. Clapp (Republican)
Comptroller: Robert Dennison (R)
Attorney General: William Curtis Noyes (R)
Treasurer: John T. Hogeboom (R)
State Engineer: George Geddes (R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Timothy Jenkins (R)
Canal Commissioner: George Geddes (R)
Inspector of State Prisons: David P. Forrest (R)

Canal Commissioner: Hiram Gardner (Republican/American)
Inspector of State Prisons: Josiah T. Everest (R/A)

Secretary of State: Elias W. Leavenworth (Republican)
Comptroller: Robert Dennison (R/American)
Attorney General: Charles G, Myers (R/A)
Treasurer: Philip Dorsheimer (R/A)
State Engineer: Orville W. Storey (R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Henry E. Davies (R/A)
Canal Commissioner
Ogden N. Chapin (R)
Inspector of State Prisons
David P. Forrest (R)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals
Charles Hughes (R/A)

Canal Commissioner: Samuel H. Barnes (Republican)
Inspector of State Prisons: James K. Bates (R)

Secretary of State: Horatio Ballard (Independent People’s/Republican)
Comptroller: Lucius Robinson (IP/R)
Attorney General: Daniel S. Dickinson (IP/R)
Treasurer: William B. Lewis (IP/R)
State Engineer: William B. Taylor (IP/R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: William B. Wright (IP/R)
Cana Commissioner: Franklin A. Alberger (IP/A)
Inspector of State Prisons: Abraham B. Tappen (IP/A)

Canal Commissioner: Oliver Ladue (Republican Union)
Inspector of State Prisons: Andreas Willmann (RU)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: Charles Hughes (RU)

Secretary of State: Peter A. Porter (Republican)
Comptroller: Lucius Robinson (R)
Attorney General: John Cochrane (R)
Treasurer: George W. Schuyler (R)
State Engineer: William B. Taylor (R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Henry R. Selden (R)
Canal Commissioner: Benjamin F. Bruce (R)
Inspector of State Prisons: James K. Bates (R)

Secretary of State: Daniel E. Sickles (R)
Comptroller: Thomas Hillhouse (R)
Attorney General: John H. Martindale (R)
Treasurer: George W. Schuyler (R)
State Engineer: Charles K. Graham (R)
Judge of the Court of Appeals: Ward Hunt (R)
Canal Commissioner: Alexander Barkley (R)
Inspector of State Prisons: Henry A. Barnum (R)
Clerk of the Court of Appeals: Patrick H. Jones (R)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to have the Working Men's party win, and since they don't seem to have a candidate for lieutenant governor, the National Republican candidate wins it. While ITTL, the Locofoco faction wins out over the regular Democratic party (at least for this election), and as such, they win (the roots of their victory being laid with the Working Men's party, since some of those activists joined the Locofoco faction).

I decided to throw this rule out temporarily for Solomon Southwick, as well as the Free Soil and Free Democratic for two reasons. 1: Though I actively hate the Anti-Mason's position on Catholics and immigration, they still made up an important base for the future Whig and Republican parties, and the legitimacy that would come from being a former governor would help make the movement even bigger (not enough to win in 1828, but still). 2: ITTL, the Barnburners, and Soft-Democrats hold their ground and are more willing to split off from the regular Democratic party, followed by appeals to the anti-slavery (Conscience) Whigs, they could eke out a few victories, and as such, they serve as the springboard for the Republican party ITTL.

(I did consider having a list of ASB governors, [meaning the Liberty party and Radical Abolitionist party], but I will content myself with having the Free Soil party come to power.)

Also, not to bury the lede here, but Dan Sickle's career is quite different in this TL, he's now a former Representative, former Senator, current Secretary of State of New York, and two-time winner of the Medal of Honor. (He earned his first by taking the initiative at Hazel Grove at the Battle of Chancellorsville, and the second was earned at the Battle of Gettysburg for the defense of the Peach Orchard under the command of Joe Hooker.) So yes, the Excelsior Brigade monument will have Sickle's bust on it, and there will definitely be credence to the idea that "The entire battlefield is a memorial to Dan Sickles."

Last edited:
A retrospective: Pennsylvania
Examining the state of Pennsylvania, there are some parallels that can be drawn between this state and its neighbor, New York. Mostly, the Federalist and now Republican domination of the state's government. Though there is one major difference... Pennsylvania had been the proud bastion of the Anti-Masonic party, being the flagship state from which the party operated, has provided a vehicle for Joseph Ritner to be elected to the governor's office multiple times. [1] Following New York's habit, Pennsylvania had once more elected a Republican Governor, this one being brevet Major General John W. Geary, former governor of California. [2]

PA Gubernatorial Elections (1790-1868)

1790: Arthur St. Clair (Federalist)

1793: Frederick Muhlenberg (Federalist)

1796: Anthony Wayne (Federalist)

1799: James Ross (Federalist)

1802: James Ross (Federalist)

1805: James McKean (Constitutionalist [Alliance: Federalist])

1808: James Ross (Federalist)

1811: William Tilghman (Federalist)

1814: Isaac Wayne (Federalist)

1817: Joseph Hiester (Federalist)

1820: Joseph Hiester (Federalist)

1823: Andrew Gregg (Federalist)

1826: John Sergeant (Federalist)

1829: Joseph Ritner (Anti-Masonic)

1832: Joseph Ritner (Anti-Masonic)

1835: Joseph Ritner (Anti-Masonic)

1838: Joseph Ritner (Anti-Masonic)

1841: John Banks (Whig)

1844: Joseph Markle (Whig)

1847: Edward D. Gazzam (Free Soil) *

1850: William F. Johnston (Whig)

1853: B. Rush Bradford (Free Soil)

1856: David Wilmot (Republican)

1859: Andrew Gregg Curtin (Republican)

1862: Andrew Gregg Curtin (Republican)

1865: John W. Geary (Republican)

1868: John W. Geary (Republican)​

* 1848 election doesn't happen, so the regular schedule proceeds.
[1] IOTL, Joseph Ritner lost all but 1 of his gubernatorial elections (he won in 1835 due to a division in the Democratic party). ITTL, he wins all four races in a clear way, so there's no Buckshot War, and it means that the Anti-Mason's plans to take over the legislature in 1841's election goes through, election Thaddeus Stevens to the senate in 1841.

[2] IOTL, John W. Geary ran but lost in California's inaugural gubernatorial election (1849), running on a Nonpartisan ticket. He wins ITTL, though his life continues just the same afterward.

Though IOTL, the Free Soil party barely existed at the gubernatorial race level, ITTL, it succeeds electorally as anti-slavery Dems and Whigs join together and the Free Soil candidates win in 1847 and 1853, which helps the Republicans in 1856.

Last edited:
Nice update, can't wait for more chapters on Reconstruction and dealing with the KKK. Keep up the good work. Can we see a map of the US if possible?

Nice update, can't wait for more chapters on Reconstruction and dealing with the KKK. Keep up the good work. Can we see a map of the US if possible?
Thanks, just trying put to good use the hours of research/writing/organizing that I put into state and federal elections. Honestly, worth it, but dear Lord has it been a pain im the ass lol. Sure, I'd love to, but I must admit I have no idea how to upload images here without hitting the file size limit, and other than the big generalities, I can't really model map changes all that well, since the major change in the US will be regardign the states themselves, by returning them to their territorial extent when they were territories/gratning them territorial claims (if anyone knows about any non-Vermont claims that New York held, please share lol).

Chapter XXVI: White Hoods and Red Shirts
With the beginning of Reconstruction successful term, with impressively quick approval of the 13th and 14th Amendment, these being passed just in time for the 1866 elections, meant that a huge amount of the electorate in the southern states was to be black, which when paired with the legal sanctions against those who couldn't comply with the Ironclad Oath would lead to Republican domination as far as the eye could see, and with Radical Republican interventions on the crafting of the Amendments and the Civil Rights Act of 1870, the danger of legal retribution against the freed population was practically nonexistent for the foreseeable future.

Sadly, this was not yet enough, for quickly the South began to howl, the rabid dogs of white supremacy had been frothing at the mouth ever since the abolition of slavery, and they had become hellhounds when African-Americans were allowed the right to vote, and as rabid dogs are bound to do... they attacked. These attacks began to take many forms, from random lynch mobs to organized attacks by the Klan, though the Union Army was able to keep most of these attacks in check since they were still relatively infrequent, yet it was clear that they would rise in a short time due to the South's increased frustration with a lack of voting rights, especially since they had approved both Reconstruction amendments, yet they had no federal representation, and for the first few years, some states weren't even allowed to properly elect their governors due to the South's insistence on allowing the Confederate leaders to reassert themselves in power. Seeing this pattern play out, of civilian control fully under Union control, violence continued to climb, because even as the Klan was denied the leadership "The Wizard of the Saddle" for he had hung shortly after the war, the Organization still grew, portraying itself as the only defense of "Proper government by proper white men" against the "Black Republicans" and their "Negro hordes" who wished to "destroy our way of life, violate our women, and destroy the very essence of God's ordained will of white supremacy."

With the violence of the Klan climbing through the half-decade after the civil war, it was clear that something had to be done to put these rebels and traitors down. Though regular Union patrols through cities and sometimes the countryside helped stop ongoing or prevent attacks about to commence, they still couldn't guarantee the safety of most of the freedmen, and they couldn't do much, since even those in their militias or even in the army itself weren't entirely safe, and their families were easily targeted if they decided to simply live in the barracks for safety. The intolerability of the situation faced by the freedmen, especially at the hands of former Confederates, led Vice-President and representative Benjamin Butler [1], the House quickly approved the Ku Klux Klan Act (Third Enforcement Act, Second Enforcement Act of 1871). This act, combined with the other two acts would lead to the destruction of the Klan and would go on to be seen as one of the greatest accomplishments of the Grant administrations.

The issue of Reconstruction, in its legality being assured by Constitutional Amendments, Civil Rights Acts, and Enforcement Acts, it was clear that legally, Radical Reconstruction would go down as one of the greatest successes in American history (as far as could be seen at the time), but the will to enforce these acts was minimal. Though the 14th Amendment made great strides in protecting the right to vote, the weak penalties it imposed on states who suppressed the franchise were glaring, especially as pointed out by Senator Charles Sumner and Representative Thaddeus Stevens during the fight for the Amendments.

Alongside the Enforcement Acts, came the Civil Rights Act of 1870, as proposed by Senator Charles Sumner, seen as the culmination of his life's work [2]. Though he never saw himself eye-to-eye with the administration, he was more than happy to be flexible in exchange for the protection of civil rights for the freedmen. The bill being rushed through Congress, it would come out only a few months later, to much fanfare in Radical Republican circles, yet many in the South had begun to howl. Casting to the wind their apprehension to being labeled traitors after the terrible events at Ford's Theater just five years, ago, the full guaranteeing of civil rights for the "inferior race" had set them ablaze. The explosion of Klan activity, combined with the usage of the Enforcement Acts led to bloody clashes in the streets of the South, with former Copperhead Democrats denouncing the Grant administration, decrying the surrender of the North to the ideas of the "Blackest of Black Republicans". These attacks fell flat amongst the North and even parts of the South, as the freedmen were able to exercise their political power while ensuring the Republican majorities in Congress, while also helping ensure that Slave Power of the Confederacy would be crushed for the foreseeable future.
[1] ITTL, there is no constitutional limit regarding position holding, meaning that theoretically, a senator can also be a representative, or even hold both senate seats at the same time (though this is considered to be a special occasion, and it is customary for a person to only run for reelection to one of the seats).

[2] IOTL, the Act was passed in 1875, as a tribute due to Sumner's death. He had proposed the act in 1870. Though Grant wasn't a huge fan of the act (he spent almost no effort in enforcing it and didn't even send it out to US Attorneys). ITTL, though he's still not a fan of Sumner, due to the fact that this is before the rise of the Liberal Republican movement and the fact that Grant's administration would have at this point in time been backed up by Radical Republicans for the past five years (1865-1870), he'd have no choice but to enforce it.
I have a Uni class in 9 minutes, and I'm dead tired, so I'll definitely come back to this. The coherence might be a bit out of whack, but hopefully, it makes enough sense lol.

Also, ITTL, Thaddeus Stevens serves out his last term in Congress, being in better spirits due to three reasons: 1) Not mourning Lincoln. 2) Not having to deal with Andrew Johnson's BS (and not having to impeach him). 3) The accelerated passage of the 13th and 14th Amendments (which are more in line with his and Sumner's views). These circumstances lead to his slightly better health, meaning he gets to see his 77th birthday ITTL.

Last edited:
Chapter XXVII: The Reconstructed States
To understand the process of Reconstruction, it must be examined how their constitutions were changed so as to align with Radical Republican ideals. Though the Radical dominance of the Southern states led to them approving the 13th Amendment sooner than some Northern states, it was still not seen as enough to destroy the Southern Planter Aristrocacy, and as such, Congressional Reconstruction was introduced to complement the current Presidential Reconstruction. By dividing the Southern states (and Indian territory) into military districts, they were designed to both break up their cultural identities, and to ensure that the Union army could protect the interests of the freedmen and carpetbaggers to ensure the Radical agenda could be passed.

The southern states were to be divided into five military districts, so as to ensure that southerners couldn't use civilian power to disenfranchise the freedmen or re-enfranchise the former Confederates.

The military districts were as follows:
First Military District: Virginia (with civilian control overseen by Kentucky and West Virginia)
Second Military District: Tennesse, North Carolina, and South Carolina (with civilian control from East Tennesse)
Third Military District: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi
Fourth Military District: Arkansas and the Indian Territory
Fifth Military District: Louisiana and Texas

The military districts were divvied up based on the military necessities of the surrounding areas, alongside the territorial claims (or lack thereof) between the states. Meaning that after thorough research, the Union decided to change the states' character to one more reminiscent of their colonial roots, rather than their current treasonous inclinations.

Though the necessity of these acts was put into question, particularly after the success of many of these states in making constitutions that guaranteed the right to vote for freedmen, and the signing of the 13th Amendment in an expedited fashion, it was seen as a necessity by the North properly ensure that these southern states properly reform, rather than simply having the law be but words upon paper.

Following this, the states which held gubernatorial elections were the following:
Alabama: Robert M. Patton (Whig)

Florida: David S. Walker (Democratic) (Unopposed)

Georgia: Charles J. Jenkins (Democratic) (Ineligible due to the Ironclad Oath)

Lousiana: James Madison Wells (Republican)

South Carolina: Wade Hampton III (Independent) (Both he and James Lawrence Orr would have been disqualified due to the Ironclad Oath)

North Carolina: Alfred Dockery (National Union)

Texas: Elisha M. Pease (Republican)

Meanwhile, the Constitutional Conventions of the states would go as follows:
Virginia: 1864's Constitutional Convention would lead to the radicals leading it, and as such defining the entirety of its terms. First on the agenda was the issue of slavery, though the 1830 constitution had already provided for gradual manumission, though the beginning of the Civil War had interrupted this process. Though the 13th Amendment had already abolished it by the time the convention was joined, it was still made a point of order to show that the state took the issue seriously. Of the options presented, it was decided that immediate and uncompensated emancipation would take place across the state.
After the Convention resumed from a recess over the Christmas holidays, Radical delegates caused a stir by allowing Union General Benjamin F. Butler (whom many Confederates considered a "beast" for his actions during the military occupation of New Orleans) to speak on January 14.
Virginia's Constitution had begun with its Declaration of Rights ever since 1776, which would be changed by radicals to begin with: "All mankind, irrespective of race or color, are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inherent rights."
The Convention concerned itself with federal-state relations, with the Committee on the Preamble and Bill of Rights establishing the position of this new constitution as: "the General Government of the United States is paramount to that of an individual state, except as to rights guaranteed to each State by the Constitution of the United States.". Continuing in this manner, the Virginia state constitution would affirm its loyalty to the Union as such: "this State shall ever remain a member of the United States of America…and that all attempts from whatever source, or upon whatever pretext, to dissolve said Union… are unauthorized, and ought to be resisted with the whole power of the State."
The Constitution's other innovation was allowing the governor to veto laws passed by the legislature.
Finally, there was the issue of disenfranchising the former Confederates, which the convention agreed upon its necessity, approving the following measures: (1) denied the vote to any officeholder in rebel government, and (2) required an "iron-clad oath" testifying that a prospective voter had never "voluntarily borne arms against the United States." (The Ironclad Oath would be made necessary for all future officeholders.)

Arkansas:
Arkansas adopted a new Constitution on March 18, 1864, after the Emancipation Proclamation. This constitution stipulated that federal recognition and support would resume after fifty percent of 1860 voters took the Ironclad Oath. Slavery was re-abolished in this constitution, much like in Louisiana, Georgia, and Tennessee. This was also the first constitution to define election procedures for a number of important posts within the state government.
It also made racial discrimination illegal; provided suffrage rights for all age 21 and older; provided for public schools for the first time, for both black and white children; and established a state university.

Louisiana: The Louisiana Constitution of 1864 re-abolished slavery throughout the state, but was effective only in the thirteen Louisiana parishes under Union control during the war, though this was naturally expanded after the end of the war. It was the first one in Louisiana to provide a formal bill of rights. It eradicated Black Codes, removed property qualifications for holding office, and former Confederates were disenfranchised (through the usage of the Ironclad Oath). African-Americans secured full citizenship with equal civil and political rights, state-funded free public education for children six to eighteen years that prohibited segregated schools (Title VII; article 135) , and equal treatment on public transportation. Title VI; Article 75 provided a Supreme Court that consisted of a Chief Justice and four Associate Justices appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the state Senate, for eight-year terms. With Lousiana approving the 13th Amendment, it was readmitted in 1864, in time for it to vote in the presidential election held that year.

South Carolina: Much like in Virignia (and the rest of the South) Radicals quickly took over the convention and came up with a new constitution which was adopted in 1865 following the end of the war. It recognized the abolition of slavery and also further equalized legislative representation. It established direct gubernatorial elections rather than by the state assembly, and the governor received the power of the veto. This equalization of legislative representation recognized the rights of all meaning that anyone could be elected o the legislature. The new constitution also included a bill of rights, which prior constitutions omitted.
The constitution ignored wealth and based representation in the House strictly on population. It abolished debtors' prisons, created counties, gave some rights to women, and provided for public education. The popularly-elected governor could veto bills and a 2/3 vote of the General Assembly was required to override said veto. Race was abolished as a condition for suffrage. Black codes were overturned, there was no prohibition on interracial marriage, and all public schools were open to all races, as well as providing a uniform system of free public schools.

Alabama: Being approved in 1865, its most important provisions were: guaranteeing the rights of all citizens, protecting the property rights of married women, protecting black suffrage, broadening the voting rights of poor whites, and creating a bureau to promote industrial development. It also provided financial support for public education, integrated, through the sale of land, and a variety of taxes on industries, and establishing a centralized Board of Education.

Georgia: Though Georgia had long strayed from Ogelthrope's egalitarian dream, it had technically never established slavery until it joined the Confederacy. Following the Civil War, a new constitution was drafted in 1865 which would re-abolish slavery. President Ulysses S. Grant appointed a provisional governor, who then convened a convention to draft a new constitution. The document retained many of the provisions of the 1861 constitution, including the Bill of Rights it had introduced. Additionally, Superior Court judges became popularly elected.
The new state constitution aimed to provide rights for African Americans and promote racial equality in the state. Its bill of rights incorporated the 13th Amendment into the state constitution, and suffrage was granted to all people over the age of 21 regardless of race. The state government also was tasked with creating a system of public education. Additionally, the governor's term of office was extended to four years, with no limit. The document also required amendments to be approved by popular vote rather than just by the state legislature and moved the capital to Atlanta.

Florida:
In October 1865, delegates met to revoke the Ordinance of Secession and write a new Constitution.
General John Pope, issued an order dividing the 39 counties of the State into 19 districts for the election of delegates to a convention to frame a new State Constitution.
The Convention met in Tallahassee. Under these terms, counties would have proportional voting power, with the Judiciary and State Officers to be elected. Finally, suffrage was to be extended to "all persons" rather than "male" or "white male" as some of the most conservative members proposed.
This constitution stated that one seat in the House of Representatives and one in the Senate were to be allocated to the Seminole Indians; the seats were to be filled by a member of their tribe "and in no case by a white man."

Missouri: Though not a Confederate state, due to its nature as a border state, it was seen fit to make a new constitution to reflect that Missouri was son longer under threat by pro-slavery forces which had harmed the state ever since its founding. As Missouri entered the Union as a free state, the issue of slavery was never in contention, rather the issues of civil rights and Confederate exclusions were on the line, this constitution was most known for its loyalty oath provisions, which earned it the moniker of the "Draconian Constitution".

North Carolina: [See notes]

Tennessee: Though Tennessee had abolished slavery in 1835, it still seceded from the Union due to the attack on Fort Sumter. Due to their abolition, and limited voting rights from freedmen which were held on to from the 1796 constitution, it was the document that had to be changed the least. Paradoxically, it was also the last Confederate state in approving a new Constitution, precisely because they saw their previous constitution as being sufficient for near-automatic readmission into the Union, especially due to their quick ratification of the 13th Amendment. The Constitution would be finished and come into effect in 1870, alongside Tennessee's readmission to the Union after the Ironclad Oath was taken by fifty percent of the population of the state.

Kentucky: Admitted as a free state, Kentucky would operate under the 1828 constitution until the 1875 Convention which created a new constitution. Kentucky being a border state, it was looked upon with mild suspicion, though there was no doubt that they would abide by the Union's laws. The Convention, late even by Border State standards, was delayed due to the fact that approval for a Constitutional Convention required voters to approve the measure for two years in a row (the first vote being in 1873).

Texas: [See notes]

Delaware: Not a Confederate state, but they abolished slavery in 1792. [See notes.]
On the issue of Virginia: Yes, the 1830 proposal for manumission goes through, meaning that all slaves born after 1840 were to be freed on their 18th/21st birthdays (female/male respectively). This means that secession ITTL is not just to keep the institution of slavery, but to actively cement it.

Tennessee is also a free state. They abolished slavery in 1835, but due to being surrounded by other states (and the interests of other slaveholders), they seceded, much like Virginia, to regress on slavery. Much the same happened in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Georgia.

Here's the thing, even if these states (and Missouri and Delaware, or even Maryland) were free states, they would still vote for Southern interests due to the fact that they shared cultural and economic interests with the South. As well as the fact that these states would most likely allow for "traveling" slaveholders (except maybe Delaware), where as long as they don't mention their intention to stay in one place for more than thirty days, then the slave won't be freed. Also, sharecropping would be a thing, so just slavery under a different name. So yeah, even in a Free State-a palooza, unless you fundamentally change the founding of the USA... you still get a Civil War over slavery, at least IMO.

For North Carolina and Texas, basically, imagine the more radical elements of their conventions (as was done for the other constitutions). In the case of Texas, its constitution is a radical mash-up of the 1866 and 1869, this one approved in 1866.

I've also heard that it was considered to make Kentucky into a free state when it was founded, but I'm not sure on the source since I've only seen posts about it on here. Though the same can be said for Arkansas and Louisiana. If there are sources for the three, great! If not, feel free to correct me, and I'll edit it.

Regardless of the slavery issue, Kentucky approves their constitution in 1785 rather than taking the 8 years they did IOTL.

Last edited:
Chapter XXVIII: Acting Out
April 14th, 1865: On a nice, calm night, when the excitement of war and the inauguration had died down, President Grant and Chief Justice Lincoln had decided to enjoy an evening play. A fan of theater, Lincoln saw this as the perfect way to relax, as well as it being an opportunity to casually speak with now-President Grant. Though his companion wasn't the biggest fan of theater (and as such not being in the best of moods), the gentle giant hoped that the General's mood would improve and if not, then perhaps their wives could try and reconcile, especially since they would have to work together for the foreseeable future.

As the president sat down in the booth, it was clear this night wasn't going to be good. Julia had already complained to him that she couldn't bear to be with Mary for so long. "It won't be long Julia, please try and enjoy yourself. There's no harm in getting along." It was the best he could give as reassurance to the woman he loved so much, and he hoped it would do. As he saw her slight smile as she spoke with Mrs. Lincoln, he breathed a sigh of relief, hopeful that perhaps they could be outright cordial, rather than merely civil as they had been before.

The play started, Grant slowly settled into the seat, relaxing, and enjoying himself, laughing alongside Lincoln at the humor of the play. This good time was quickly interrupted at 10:10 pm when the guard at the door quickly announced the entrance of a special guest to the Presidential Booth: famed actor John Wilkes Booth. As Chief Justice Lincoln stood up and turned around to greet the man who considered a good, if odd friend, President Grant felt there was something odd about the situation. Though nothing in the actor's mannerism, posture, or form of speech gave any indication of something out of the ordinary, the man just seemed to exude dark energy.

Regardless of his worry, he slowly went to shake the actor's hand, when Lincoln decided to introduce both men, seeing as how he and the actor had a previous history. "Ah, General Grant, allow me to introduce our unexpected guest here. This is John Wilkes Booth, the famed actor. He's done me the honor of visiting the White House, and we even happened to run into each other at the National Hotel on the past 17th of March!" Beaming slightly at these words, he continued, now facing Booth, and added "Mister Booth, this is the famed General Grant. It is a pleasure that you both finally get to meet. I am incredibly happy to see you at a time like this. I hope Washington is treating you well sir." Booth could only plaster a smile on his face as he felt himself recoil at being in the company of so many who had defiled the South so brutishly. His only solace was that his torture would soon come to an end, for he would kill the tyrants who by a "wise and merciful providence" [1] were placed before him so that he could redeem the South who had been trampled by those committed to abolitionism and Negro citizenship.

As 10:15 pm came, and Lincoln kept talking with the actor, they soon got on the purpose of their respective visits, with Lincoln asking the young actor "I very much appreciate the visit, Mister Booth. I hope this visit is not interrupting any plans you may have." With a slightly strained smile, the actor responded with a cheery "Not at all Mister Lincoln, it's an honor to see you once more." Beaming at this warm compliment, the Illinoian couldn't help but chuckle and respond with a "Oh you flatter me, good sir, this visit of yours has warmed my soul. Which, speaking of, what is the purpose of tonight's seemingly spontaneous visit?" As he finished his question, the audience suddenly began laughing, as one of the funniest lines in the whole play had just been said, as planned. Taking the opportunity, he smiled brightly, the first genuine smile his face displayed the entire night, and responded with a glib "I've come here to advance the cause of liberty!" Unaware of the meaning of behind these words, the Chief Justice couldn't help but smile and reply with a warm "I appre..." he was halfway through his sentence when the actor's hand had suddenly been yanked down by the President.

Having been watching their conversation sporadically, Grant could there was something off about the actor, and his suspicion had only grown through the entire conversation. As he felt the darkness in the booth grow as the actor's presence permeated all around, he had stood up to politely ask him to leave, when he saw the weapon hidden in Booth's clothes. As laughter rang out through the theater hall, the General could focus on one thing, quickly getting the actor from the booth before any harm could be done, but he was too late for that. As he heard the word "liberty" come from young man's lips, he saw that he had reached for his gun, and seeing no other option, Grant lunge himself at him, with the derringer firing, hitting only the floor. Quickly recovering from this setback, Booth pulled out a dagger and attempted to stab the president with it. As he lunged the blade forward, he felt two hands on his jacket, as he was swiftly lifted off the ground. Chief Justice Lincoln tapping into his wrestling days, had effortlessly lifted the actor and had flung him across the railing of the booth, onto the audience below. As they saw the actor fly from the balcony, the audience could only watch in stunned silence as the young man's landed with force upon the floor. The audience, which had been entirely quiet until that point, on the edge of their seats, were convinced that this was all a part of the place, at least until their stunned silence was shattered by an incredibly loud crack. The actor had landed upon hard, the powerful throw having so much force behind it that when he landed, his neck immediately snapped, leading to an incredibly loud sound that reverberated across the entire room. Shocked, and entirely stunned, the silence after that explosive moment would come back, only to be interrupted as soldiers entered the room to announce that the play was over.

Recovering from their shock, Grant and Lincoln stared at each other, letting the moment subside between them. "I can't believe this. I thought him a friend. I admired him and his work. It is unbelievable what has happened here tonight." Grant could only respond with a weak "I'm sorry sir." To which Lincoln graciously responded with a simple "You have nothing to be sorry for general. In fact, I should be thanking you, for you have saved my life today. I shall forever be in your debt." With this, they went to comfort their wives, the couples exiting the booth, as Grant quickly gave orders to the guards present. "Hopefully this was an isolated incident. Please escort the Chief Justice to his residence and clear out this theater." Before these words could be put to action, it was reported from a search of Booth's pockets that he had papers detailing coordinated plans to attack Vice-President Butler, as well as former Secretary of State William H. Seward. Though there weren't reports of these men coming to any harm, it was immediately declared that all of Washington D.C. would be put on lockdown to find those involved in this conspiracy and bring them to justice.

IOTL (and this one) Lincoln was a huge fan of Booth, and even invited him to the White House on multiple occasions, though the latter always refused. ITTL, he accepts, hoping to study his target before trying to murder. There was also a kidnapping plot planned for March 17th, where the idea was to abduct Lincoln as he returned from a play at Campbell Military Hospital. Problem was, he didn't go, and instead attended a ceremony at the National Hotel... where Booth was living. ITTL, the kidnapping isn't planned, so Booth is at the hotel and he and Lincoln encounter each other there. Booth can't do anything though, since Lincoln is escorted. So Booth just has to grin and bear being so close to his target, and not being able to do anything about it, much like when he visited the White House.

Lincoln was also a great wrestler and was famous for it. He was also rumored to be incredibly strong, and as such, I have no trouble seeing him picking up John Wilkes Booth and throwing him over the balcony so as to save President Grant.

Last edited:
Nice chapter, can't wait to see the reaction to this failed assassination attempt on Lincoln and Grant. Wonder what the political ramifications of all this will be.

That was an awesome description of the action! Yes, I have read that Lincoln is actually in the wrestling hall of fame - obviously that includes a lot of actual wrestling and not just the play stuff, although it is a little ironic that the audience thought it was fixed until Booth landed.

(Fill gaps and go forward in new collaborative timeline in my Sig.)

That was an awesome description of the action! Yes, I have read that Lincoln is actually in the wrestling hall of fame - obviously that includes a lot of actual wrestling and not just the play stuff, although it is a little ironic that the audience thought it was fixed until Booth landed.

(Fill gaps and go forward in new collaborative timeline in my Sig.)
Actually, the audience didn't know anything was going on except "loud bang" and "dude flying from a balcony". It isn't until actual soldiers burst into the hall that people realize "Oh shit, something happened."

The image of Lincoln suplexing Booth off the a second floor balcony — “LINCOLN, FROM OFFTHE SECOND FLOOR!!”— is indelible. Can easily hear Gordon Solie saying it.

The image of Lincoln suplexing Booth off the a second floor balcony — “LINCOLN, FROM OFFTHE SECOND FLOOR!!”— is indelible. Can easily hear Gordon Solie saying it.
Oh, it's great. It will 100% be one of the best shitposts on TTL's r/ShermanPosting

Retrospective: New York in the Federal Legislature
Senate (1788-1897)

Class I
1789: Philip Schuyler (Federalist)
1791: Philip Schuyler (Federalist)
1797: Philip Schuyler (Federalist)
1803: Rufus King (Federalist)
1809: David Brooks (Federalist)
1815: John Jay (Federalist)
1821: Nathan Sanford (Democratic-Republican) [Faction: Clintonian]
1827: Stephen Van Rensselaer (Democratic-Republican) [Faction: Clintonian]
1833: Francis Granger (Anti-Mason/National Republican)
1839: John Adams Dix (Democratic)
1845: Millard Fillmore (Whig)
1851: John Adams Dix (Democratic)
1857: Daniel E. Sickles (Democratic)
1863: John Adams Dix (Republican)
1869: Edwin D. Morgan (Republican)
1875: Edwin D. Morgan (Republican)
1881: Hamilton Fish (Republican)
1887: Frank Hiscock (Republican)
1893: Frank Hiscock (Republican)

Class III
1789: Rufus King (Federalist)
1795: Rufus King (Federalist)
1801: Matthew Clarkson (Federalist)
1807: John Jay (Federalist)
1813: Rufus King (Federalist)
1819: Rufus King (Federalist)
1825: John W. Taylor (National Republican)
1831: Nathan Sanford (National Republican)
1837: Ambrose L. Jordan (Whig)
1843: John Adams Dix (Democratic-Barburner)
1849: John Adams Dix (Free Soil)
1855: John Adams Dix (Democratic/Soft)
1861: Horace Greeley (Republican)
1867: Horace Greeley (Republican)
1873: Roscoe Conkling (Republican)
1879: Roscoe Conkling (Republican)
1885: William M. Evarts (Republican)
1891: William M. Evarts (Republican)
*1897: Xxxxx Xxxxxx*

House of Representatives (1788-1863)
1st Congress (Federalist: 4) (Democratic-Republican: 2)
  1. William Floyd (Democratic-Republican)
  2. John Laurance (Federalist)
  3. Egbert Benson (F)
  4. John Hathorn (DR)
  5. Peter Silvester (F)
  6. Abraham Ten Broeck (F)
2nd Congress (Federalist: 6)
  1. John Vanderbilt (F)
  2. John Laurance (F)
  3. Egbert Benson (F)
  4. Peter Van Gaasbeck (F)
  5. Peter Silvester (F)
  6. James Gordon (F)
3rd Congress (Federalist: 10)
  1. Joshua Sands (F)
  2. John Watts (F)
  3. Richard Hatfield (F)
  4. Peter Van Gaasbeck (F)
  5. James Kent (F)
  6. Ezekiel Gilbert (F)
  7. John E. Van Alen (F)
  8. Henry Glen (F)
  9. James Gordon (F)
  10. William Cooper (F)
4th Congress (Federalist: 10)
  1. Samuel Jones (F)
  2. John Watts (F)
  3. Richard Morris (F)
  4. Conrad E. Elmendorf (F)
  5. David Brooks (F)
  6. Ezekiel Gilbert (F)
  7. John E. Van Alen (F)
  8. Henry Glen (F)
  9. Ebenezer Russell (F)
  10. William Cooper (F)
5th Congress (Federalist: 10)
  1. Selah Strong (F)
  2. James Watson (F)
  3. Samuel Haight (F)
  4. Conrad E. Elmendorf (F)
  5. David Brooks (F)
  6. Hezekiah L. Hosmer (F)
  7. John E. Van Alen (F)
  8. Henry Glen (F)
  9. John Williams (F)
  10. William Cooper (F)
6th Congress (Federalist: 10)
  1. Silas Wood (F)
  2. Philip Livingston (F)
  3. Mordecai Hale (F)
  4. Jonathan Hasbrouck (F)
  5. David Brooks (F)
  6. John Bird (F)
  7. John Williams (F)
  8. Henry Glen (F)
  9. Jonas Platt (F)
  10. William Cooper (F)
7th Congress (Federalist: 10)
  1. Silas Wood (F)
  2. Jacob Morton (F)
  3. Samuel Bayard (F)
  4. Leonard Bronk (F)
  5. David Brooks (F)
  6. John Bird (F)
  7. John Williams (F)
  8. Killian K. Van Rensselaer (F)
  9. Benjamin Walker (F)
  10. Thomas Morris (F)
8th Congress (Federalist: 16) (Democratic-Republican: 1)
  1. Joshua Smith (F)
  2. Joshua Sands (F)
  3. Joshua Sands (F)
  4. Philip Van Cortlandt (DR)
  5. John Hathorn (F)
  6. Benjamin Akin (F)
  7. Conrad E. Elmendorf (F)
  8. Henry W. Livingston (F)
  9. Killian K. Van Rensselaer (F)
  10. George Tibbits (F)
  11. Guert Van Schoonhoven (F)
  12. John Williams (F)
  13. Robert McFarlan (F)
  14. Benjamin Gilbert (F)
  15. Gaylord Griswold (F)
  16. Comfort Tyler (F)
  17. Nathaniel W. Howell (F)
9th Congress (Federalist: 14) (Democratic-Republican: 3)
  1. Joshua Smith (F)
  2. Nicholas Fish (F)
  3. Wynandt Van Zandt (F)
  4. Philip Van Cortlandt (DR)
  5. David M. Westcott (F)
  6. Benjamin Akin (F)
  7. Gerritt Abeel (F)
  8. Henry W. Livingston (F)
  10. Jonathan Brown (F)
  11. Peter Sailly (DR)
  12. Reuben Skinner (F)
  13. Thomas Sammons (DR)
  14. Benjamin Gilbert (F)
  15. Thomas R. Gold (F)
  16. Edward Edwards (F)
  17. Nathaniel W. Howell (F)
10th Congress (Federalist: 14) (Democratic-Republican) [Clintonian: 3]
  1. Samuel Riker (DR [Clintonian])
  2. John B. Coles (F)
  3. Nicholas Fish (F)
  4. Peter A. Jay (F)
  5. Reuben Hopkins (F)
  6. Daniel C. Verplanck (DR [C])
  7. Barent Gardenier (F)
  8. Robert Le Roy Livingston (F)
  10. Hosea Moffitt (F)
  11. Asahel Porter (F)
  12. Asa Fitch (F)
  13. Isaac H. Tiffany (F)
  14. Solomon Martin (F)
  15. John Nicolson (DR [C])
  16. Thaddeus M. Wood (F)
  17. Daniel W. Lewis (F)
11th Congress (Federalist: 17)
  1. Benjamin B. Blydenburgh (F)
  2. John B. Coles (F)
    1. Barent Gardenier (F)
  3. Richard Hatfield (F)
  4. James Emott (F)
  5. Barent Gardenier (F)
  6. Herman Knickerbocker (F)
    1. Robert Le Roy Livingston (F)
  7. Killian K. Van Rensselaer (F)
  8. William Bailey (F)
  9. Thomas Sammons (F)
  10. Moss Kent (F)
  11. Thomas R. Gold (F)
  12. Gabriel North (F)
  13. Vincent Mathews (F)
  14. Vincent Mathews (F)
  15. Nathaniel W. Howell (F)
12th Congress (Federalist: 17)
  1. David Gardiner (F)
  2. John B. Coles (F)
    1. Peter A. Jay (F)
  3. John Bradner (F)
  4. James Emott (F)
  5. Gerrit Abeel (F)
  6. Robert Le Roy Livingston (F)
    1. Asa Fitch (F)
  7. Harmanus Bleecker (F)
  8. James McCrea (F)
  9. Richard Van Horne (F)
  10. Simeon Ford (F)
  11. Thomas R. Gold (F)
  12. John M. Bowers (F)
  13. Nathaniel Waldron (F)
  14. John Harris (F)
  15. Ebenezer F. Norton (F)
13th Congress (Federalist: 27)
  1. Peter A. Jay (F)
    1. Benjamin B. Blydenburgh (F)
  2. Egbert Benson (F)
    1. Jotham Post, Jr. (F)
  3. Richard V. Morris (F)
  4. Thomas J. Oakley (F)
  5. Thomas P. Grosvenor (F)
  6. John Bradner (F)
  7. Abraham T. E. De Witt (F)
  8. Samuel Sherwood (F)
  9. John Lovett (F)
  10. Hosea Moffitt (F)
  11. Samuel Stewart (F)
  12. Zebulon R. Shipherd (F)
    1. Elisha I. Winter (F)
  13. Alexander Boyd (F)
  14. Jacob Markell (F)
  15. Joel Thompson (F)
    1. William Dowse (F)
  16. Morris S. Miller (F)
  17. William S. Smith (F)
  18. Moss Kent (F)
  19. James Geddes (F)
  20. Elijah Miller (F)
    1. Vincent Mathews (F)
  21. Nathaniel W. Howell (F)
    1. Samuel M. Hopkins (F)
14th Congress (Federalist: 27)
  1. William Townsend (F)
    1. Cornelius Bedell (F)
  2. William Townsend (F)
    1. Cornelius Bedell (F)
  3. Richard Valentine Morris (F)
  4. Abraham Bockee (F)
  5. Thomas P. Grosvenor (F)
  6. Samuel S. Seward (F)
  7. Elnathan Sears (F)
  8. John Adams (F)
  9. John Lovett (F)
  10. Hosea Moffitt (F)
  11. Elisha Powell (F)
  12. Elisha I. Winter (F)
    1. Zebulon R. Shipherd (F)
  13. Lawrence Vrooman (F)
  14. Daniel Cady (F)
  15. Robert Campbell (F)
    1. Tracy Robinson (F)
  16. Thomas R. Gold (F)
  17. William S. Smith (F)
  18. Moss Kent (F)
  19. James Geddes (F)
  20. Emanuel Coryell (F)
    1. Seth Phelps (F)
  21. Daniel W. Lewis (F)
    1. Richard Smith (F)
15th Congress (Federalist: 27)
  1. Nathaniel Smith (F)
    1. Samuel Jones (F)
  2. Josiah Ogden Hoffman (F)
    1. Isaac Ely (F)
  3. Abraham Odell (F)
  4. Henry A. Livingston (F)
  5. Philip J. Schuyler (F)
  6. James Burt (F)
  7. John Sudam (F)
  8. Samuel Sherwood (F)
  9. John Lovett (F)
  10. John P. Cushman (F)
  11. Elisha Powell (F)
  12. Henry H. Ross (F)
    1. Zebulon R. Shipherd (F)
  13. William Beekman (F)
  14. Richard Van Horne (F)
  15. James Clapp (F)
    1. James Hyde (F)
  16. Henry R. Storrs (F)
  17. Simeon Ford (F)
  18. David A. Ogden (F)
  19. James Geddes (F)
  20. Elijah Miller (F)
    1. Benjamin Johnson (F)
  21. Philip Church (F)
    1. Ebenezer F. Norton (F)
16th Congress (Clintonian/Federalist: 11) (Federalist: 8) (Democratic-Republican: 8)
  1. Silas Wood (C/F)
    1. John Garretson (C/F)
  2. Barent Gardenier (C/F)
    1. Peter H. Wendover (DR)
  3. Benjamin Isaacs (C/F)
  4. Randall S. Streets (C/F)
  5. Robert Le Roy Livingston (C/F)
  6. Walter Case (DR)
  7. Jacob H. De Witt (DR)
  8. Jabez Bostwick (F)
  9. Solomon Van Rensselaer (F)
  10. John D. Dickinson (F)
  11. James Thompson (F)
  12. David Abel Russell (F)
    1. Ezra C. Gross (DR)
  13. Isaac H. Tiffany (F)
  14. John Veeder (F)
  15. Robert Monell (C/F)
    1. Joseph S. Lyman (C/F)
  16. Henry R. Storrs (C/F)
  17. Simeon Ford (C/F)
  18. Horatio Orvis (C/F)
  19. H. O. Wattles (F)
  20. Jonathan Richmond (DR)
    1. Caleb Baker (DR)
  21. Nathaniel Allen (DR)
    1. Albert H. Tracy (DR)
17th Congress (Clintonian/Federalist: 26) (Democratic-Republican/Bucktails: 1)
  1. Silas Wood (C/F)
    1. Cadwallader D. Colden (C/F)
  2. Henry Eckford (C/F)
    1. Churchill C. Cambreleng (DR/Bucktails)
  3. John T. Smith (C/F)
  4. William Taber (C/F)
  5. Walter Patterson (C/F)
  6. James W. Wilkin (C/F)
  7. Charles H. Ruggles (C/F)
  8. Richard McCarty (C/F)
  9. Solomon Van Rensselaer (C/F)
  10. John D. Dickinson (C/F)
  11. John W. Taylor (C/F)
  12. John Crary (C/F)
    1. Ezra C. Gross (C/F)
  13. John Gebhard (C/F)
  14. Alfred Conkling (C/F)
  15. Robert Monell (C/F)
    1. Alvan Stewart (C/F)
  16. Joseph Kirkland (C/F)
  17. David Woods (C/F)
  18. Micah Sterling (C/F)
  19. George Hall (C/F)
  20. Jonathan Richmond (C/F)
    1. Herman Camp (C/F)
  21. Nathaniel Allen (C/F)
    1. Albert H. Tracy (C/F)
18th Congress
  1. Silas Wood (C/F)
  2. Jacob Tyson (DR/B)
  3. John J. Morgan (DR/B)
    1. Churchill C. Cambreleng (DR/B)
    2. Peter Sharpe (DR/B)
  4. Peter A. Jay (F)
  5. Derick B. Stockholm (C/F)
  6. Hector Craig (C/F)
  7. Charles H. Ruggles (C/F)
  8. James Strong (C/F)
  9. John D. Dickinson (C/F)
  10. Stephen Van Rensselaer (C/F)
  11. John T. More (C/F)
  12. Nicholas F. Beck (C/F)
  13. Isaac Williams, Jr. (DR/B)
  14. Henry R. Storrs (C/F)
  15. Simeon Ford (C/F)
  16. John W. Cady (C/F)
  17. John W. Taylor (C/F)
  18. David Russell (C/F)
  19. Ezar C. Gross (C/F)
  20. Egbert Ten Eyck (DR/B)
    1. Ela Collins (DR/B)
  21. Samuel Campbell (C/F)
  22. Justin Dwinell (DR/B)
  23. Asa Wells (C/F)
  24. Jonathan Richmond (C/F)
  25. Samuel Lawrence (C/F)
  26. Dudley Marvin (C/F)
    1. William Thompson (C/F)
  27. Moses Hayden (C/F)
  28. Daniel Cruger (DR/C)
  29. Parmenio Adams (C/F)
  30. Albert H. Tracy (C/F)
19th Congress (People's: 34)
  1. Silas Wood (People’s)
  2. Joshua Sands (P)
  3. John Rathbone, Jr. (P)
    1. Charles G. Haines (P)
    2. Peter Sharpe (P)
  4. Aaron Ward (P)
  5. Bartow White (P)
  6. Hector Craig (P)
  7. Abraham B. Hasbrouck (P)
  8. James Strong (P)
  9. William McManus (P)
  10. Stephen Van Rensselaer (P)
  11. William V. B. Hermance (P)
  12. Constant Brown (P)
  13. William Campbell (P)
  14. Henry R. Storrs (P)
  15. John Herkimer (P)
  16. Henry Markell (P)
  17. John W. Taylor (P)
  18. Henry C. Martindale (P)
  19. Henry H. Ross (P)
  20. Daniel Hugunin, Jun. (P)
    1. Daniel Hugunin, Jun. (P)
  21. Elias Whitmore (P)
  22. John Miller (P)
  23. Luther Badger (P)
  24. Charles Kellogg (P)
  25. Charles Humphrey (P)
  26. Dudley Marvin (P)
    1. Robert S. Rose (P)
  27. Moses Hayden (P)
  28. Daniel Cruger (P)
  29. Parmenio Adams (P)
  30. William Hotchkiss (P)
20th Congress
  1. Silas Wood (C/Anti-Jacksonian)
  2. John J. Wood (B/Jacksonian)
  3. Churchill C. Cambreleng (B/J)
    1. Gulian C. Verplanck (B/J)
    2. Jeromus Johnson (B/J)
  4. Aaron Ward (C/AJ)
  5. Thomas J. Oakley (B/J)
  6. Hector Craig (C/AJ)
  7. Lemuel Jenkins (C/AJ)
  8. James Strong (C/AJ)
  9. John D. Dickinson (C/AJ)
  10. Stephen Van Rensselaer (C/AJ) (Unopposed)
  11. Isaac Burr (C/AJ)
  12. John I. De Graff (B/J) (Unopposed)
  13. Samuel Chase (C/AJ)
  14. Henry R. Storrs (C/AJ)
  15. Michael Hoffman (B/J)
  16. Henry Markell (C/AJ)
  17. John W. Taylor (C/AJ)
  18. Henry C. Martindale (C/AJ)
  19. Asa Hascall (C/AJ)
  20. Nicoll Fosdick (C/AJ)
    1. Elisha Camp (C/AJ)
  21. Robert Monell (C/AJ)
  22. John Miller (C/AJ)
  23. Luther Badger (C/AJ)
  24. Elijah Miller (C/AJ)
  25. Charles Humphrey (C/AJ)
  26. Dudley Marvin (C/AJ)
    1. John Maynard (B/J)
  27. Daniel D. Barnard (C/AJ)
  28. Timothy H. Porter (C/AJ)
  29. Simeon Cummings (C/AJ)
  30. Albert H. Tracy (C/AJ)
21st Congress
  1. Silas Wood (AJ)
  2. Peter W. Radcliff (AJ)
  3. David Ogden (AJ)
    1. Thomas C. Taylor (AJ)
    2. Ebenezer Lord (AJ)
  4. Henry B. Cowles (AJ)
  5. Edmund H. Pendleton (AJ)
  6. Samuel J. Wilkin (AJ)
  7. Lewis D. Bevier (AJ)
  8. James Strong (AJ)
  9. John D. Dickinson (AJ)
  10. Ambrose Spencer (AJ)
  11. Jacob Haight (AJ)
  12. Jacob Livingston (AJ)
  13. Erastus Crafts (AJ)
  14. Henry R. Storrs (AJ)
  15. Michael Hoffman (J)
  16. Benedict Arnold (AJ)
  17. John W. Taylor (AJ)
  18. Henry C. Martindale (AJ)
  19. Isaac Finch (AJ)
  20. Joseph Hawkins (AJ)
    1. George Fisher (AJ)
  21. Tilly Linde (Anti-Masonic)
  22. Thomas Beekman (AJ)
  23. Daniel Kellogg (AJ)
  24. Daniel Kellogg (AJ)
  25. David Woodcock (AJ)
  26. Robert S. Rose (AM)
    1. Dudley Marvin (AJ)
  27. Daniel D. Barnard (AJ)
  28. Timothy H. Porter (AJ)
  29. Phineas L. Tracy (AM)
  30. John G. Camp (AJ)
34th Congress (Whig: 33/33) (+Practical Democratic: 2) (+ American: 8)
  1. Harvey W. Vail (Whig)
  2. James S. T. Stranahan (W)
  3. Guy R. Pelton (W/Practical Democratic)
  4. Sanford L. Macomber (W/PD)
  5. George H. Andrews (W)
  6. Charles H. Marshall (W)
  7. Thomas Child, Jr. (W/American)
  8. Abram Wakeman (W/A)
  9. Bayard Clarke (W/A)
  10. Ambrose S. Murray (W)
  11. Rufus H. King (W)
  12. Killian Miller (W)
  13. Russell Sage (W/A)
  14. Samuel Dickinson (W)
  15. Edward Dodd (W)
  16. George A. Simmons (W)
  17. Henry P. Alexander (W)
  18. Thomas R. Horton (W)
  19. Jonas A. Hughston (W)
  20. Orsamus B. Matteson (W)
  21. Henry Bennett (W)
  22. Andrew Z. McCarty (W)
  23. William A. Gilbert (W)
  24. Amos P. Granger (W)
  25. Edwin B. Morgan (W)
  26. James L. Seeley (W)
  27. John M. Parker (W)
  28. William H. Kelsey (W/A)
  29. Davis Carpenter (W)
  30. Benjamin Pringle (W/A)
  31. Thomas T. Flagler (W/A)
  32. Solomon G. Haven (W/A)
  33. Francis S. Edwards (W/A)
37th Congress (Republican: 33/33)
  1. Luther C. Carter (Republican)
  2. James Humphrey (R)
  3. Amer J. Williamson (R)
  4. John Commerford (R)
  5. William Wall (R)
  6. Frederick A. Conkling (R)
  7. Augustus F. Dow (R)
  8. Abram Wakeman (R)
  9. Thomas Nelson (R)
  10. Charles Van Wyck (R)
  11. Peter H. Silvester (R)
  12. Stephen Baker (R)
  13. Abram B. Olin (R)
  14. Thomas W. Olcott (R)
  15. James B. McKean (R)
  16. William A. Wheeler (R)
  17. Socrates N. Sherman (R)
  18. Simon H. Hix (R)
  19. Richard Franchot (R)
  20. Roscoe Conkling (R)
  21. R. Holland Duell (R)
  22. William E. Lansing (R)
  23. Ambrose W. Clark (R)
  24. Charles B. Sedgwick (R)
  25. Theodore M. Pomeroy (R)
  26. Jacob P. Chamberlain (R)
  27. Alexander S. Diven (R)
  28. Robert B. Van Valkenburgh (R)
  29. Alfred Ely (R)
  30. Augustus Frank (R)
  31. Burt Van Horn (R)
  32. Elbridge G. Spaulding (R)
  33. Reuben Fenton (R)
38th Congress
  1. Richard C. McCormick (Republican)

The 1897 Senate election (and accompanying mayoral election) are huge ITTL, and I want to reflect that by adding it on but censoring the man's name. (I left the number of letters the same, so I'd love to see what guesses you guys make.) To make it easier for you, he appears in the 1887 New York State election, and in two mayoral elections (1886/1897).

Last edited: