The Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography: Discussion & Entries

Alright--since I was not able to post the new round at midnight last night, there will be slight disruption in the schedule. Round L is extended until midnight tonight, when I will post Round M. Round M will run until the 24th, but I will post Round N on the 23rd, so those two will overlap for a day, and after that we will be back on track.

*Hope that I win this... Looks unlikely... :(*

Eh, I've been getting second for a couple weeks now - if that pattern keeps up you'll win handily ;).

Plus, I was going to tidy up my map but I can't get Photobucket to work :(, so those little flaws are staying.

Eh, I've been getting second for a couple weeks now - if that pattern keeps up you'll win handily ;).

Plus, I was going to tidy up my map but I can't get Photobucket to work :(, so those little flaws are staying.
Well, I have been losing big in the rounds I entered... If that continues, you'll win big. This round is certainly not popular... Its between two serial losers...

Round M

First, congratulations to wilcoxchar, for winning the eleventh round of the Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography, and the title "Khan of K!" (In addition to his existing title, Emir of E.)

Second: Round L is now closed! Get on over to the voting thread and vote!

And finally, after a slight delay: the topic for Round M is...

MAGIC

The color for this round is: DB990A (See attached sample.)

Entries will be accepted until 11:59 P.M. Eastern time, November 24th! (Note the slight disruption in schedule. Round N will start on the 23rd.)

ABCcolorM.png

I guess I will try again.
Unfortunately not much back story behind this map just your typical return of magic scenario resulting in some shenanigans.Most notable are reborn Roman Empire and HRE, Infernalist Empire of Iberia and Undead domains in Balkans. On top of that you also have Warped Lands where the structure of reality itself is torn apart by beings which existence defies sanity.

abcM.png

abcM.png

Last edited:
My idea is that Vampirism is a sort of inherited disease.
Most vampires are poor and shunned by society, only a few noblemen are secretly vampires.

The vast majority of of them were deported in Transnistria by the wartime pro-nazi government and than to Kazakhstan by the USSR.

The reminder of them are deported by the new communist government to the Baragan plain alongside Germans, Serbs, and Titoists.

Untitled.png

Just a reminder: round M will be open until midnight tomorrow.

However, the topic for Round N is...

NAPOLEON

The color for this round is: FF0090 (See attached sample. Such a lovely shade, isn't it?)

Entries will be accepted until 11:59 P.M. Eastern time, November 30th!

ABCcolorN.png

My entry for round "M".

It's been close to a thousand years since the Great Dying nearly wiped out all life on Earth
900 years since the last of Earth's healthy populace was resettled on Mars
500 years since the discovery of Magicka and the beginnings of Arcane Science
A century since the invention of the Magical Fusion Reactor.

The Magic-based states of Mars remain steadfastly pacifist, with each state having only a small elite group of "peacekeepers" as an extension of the police forces. Militarization and war are taboo subjects, especially with the effects of the Second Martian War and the liberal use of atomic warheads by every major nation involved. However, even as the Magic republics contiue to proper via trade and diplomacy, there exists a very real threat to their survival.

The State.

Forged out of the ruins of the Industrial Compact, The State is ruthless in its drive for greater industrialization, economic growth and scientific advancement. Magicka and Arcano-technology is banned while anyone caught practicing "deviant magic" is summarily put to death. The major cities of The State are chocked in an ever present cloud of smog and haze while wealthy industrialists prosper on the backs of de facto slave labor. Appalled by the actions of The State towards its own citizenry and worried about continued expansion of The State into the Great Wasteland, the Magical nations of the world united under the banner of the Free Alliance, ready to defend their freedom and sovereignty at all costs. Despite Alliance attempts to quashing such talk, war is on everyone's minds as the Alliance is forced to erect massive weapons and military supply factories if they hope to stem the tide of State advancements. Only time will tell who will succeed in this epic struggle between Might and Magic.

dtr0V.png

Just a quickie:

POD 1791. Dutty Boukman's Vodou ceremony at the Bois Caïman succeeds in summoning Baron Samedi, who raises an army of loa to scourge the French settlers. The French, in extremity, respond by turning to Vodou themselves. They invoke Dinclinsin - a cruel loa who takes the form of a white slave-owner - and, under his guidance, they slaughter their remaining slaves and raise an army of zombies to fight for them.

It is now nineteen years later. The colonists are hanging on in Port-au-Prince, along the northern coastal plain near Cap-Haïtien (which they still call Cap-Français) and in the lower Artibonite Valley. They rule rich sugar plantations worked by undead slaves, although their numbers dwindle every year because of the heavy price Dinclinsin demands for his continued protection. The loa holds court in Gonaïves, surrounded by a bodyguard of white zombies and a harem of planters' daughters on whom he fathers unnatural children.

In the north, Baron Samedi has turned on the men who summoned him, and now rules in his own right. He has imposed a harsh regime on peasants and minor gods alike: there are no zombies in his realm, but he demands frequent sacrifices and enormous quantities of tobacco and rum.

Toussaint rules the Republic of Haiti, a fortress state in the upper Artibonite that defies both Frenchmen and loa, but which is hard pressed by the magical powers of its enemies. In Jacmel, André Rigaud likewise claims to rule a free republic, but he accepts secret aid from France and has accepted white refugees from Gonaïves into his court. And Dessalines, through sheer ruthlessness and force of personality, has made the loa serve him rather than vice versa: his is the largest and strongest of the freedmen's states, but he holds his people and even gods in a reign of terror.

In Europe, where a great continental war has dragged on for a decade to no certain conclusion, the great powers are starting to take an interest...

mQRvN.png

I've decided to do something for this, i hope some other people will do something too.

ah_map___campaingns_of_napoleon_bonaparte_by_imladrik-d5mm2gp.png

Napoleone di Buonaparte received a military formation in a french artillery school where is father, a corsican (then part of the City-State of Genoa) petit-bourgeois, sent him. He left the french army at the start of the revolution fleeing to Genoa. There he was given a captaincy in the small Genoan Army. In the first battle of the French Campaign of Italy he took command of his regiment after the death of his superior and managed to held the French for a day with his talent. Seeing his talent he was soon promoted to Colonel and at the end of the Campaign of Italy, he was promoted to General by the parliament of Genoa. But the war was over and Genoa had already lost. He was recuited by the Ottoman Sultan to oversee a reform of the Army. The young Napoleone accepted this proposition and started creating a strong army for his lord. The first action of this new army was crushing the revolt of the Janissaries who felt threatened by this new army. He then served the Sultan as the general of the first of these new armies. He crushed for him the revolts of the Egyptian and Iraqi Khedives, fought the Russians and the Persians to a standstill, defended the vassal princedoms of the Balkans against the Austrians and vanquished the Hungarians. He then became the new minister of War of the Sultan and finally he became Prime Minister for a year before his death.