The Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography: Discussion & Entries

So, just before the end of Map Thread IX, there was some discussion of a hypothetical second map contest, to complement that cherished forum institution, Map of the Fortnight. I've been tossing around a few ideas, and now I think I've gotten something hammered out. So without further ado, let me introduce...

The Alphabetic Bouts of Cartography!

In a nutshell: the Alphabetic Bouts will consist of 26 weekly rounds of competition. Each week, I will post the week's challenge, which will consist of a single-word topic and a color. (Each topic will begin with a different letter, starting with 'A' and continuing through to 'Z'--hence the alphabetical.) Participants will do their best to create a map on the round's topic, while making sure the round's color is visible in their entry. All entries will be posted in this thread. Each week, a poll will be held to determine the winner of the round. After all 26 rounds have been judged, whoever has won the greatest number of rounds will be judged the CHAMPION OF THE FREE WORLD, and be rewarded with a ticker-tape parade through Non-Political Chat. Or something. Haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Questions you might ask, of which I am relatively sure of the answer:

Who can enter this contest?
Anyone and everyone, from the best-known figures of cartographic legend to the lowliest reformed spambot! Novice cartographers are particularly welcome--but hopefully this contest will encourage even longtime contributers to branch out and experiment!

What do I need to enter?
Maps must be created specifically for this contest, unless you're psychic and can predict what future topic/color combinations will be. Maps must be at least 100x100 pixels, and the contest color must be clearly visible. If you think there will be any uncertainty as to how your map pertains to the week's topic, please include a sentence or two of explanation--otherwise, written portions are purely optional.

Where should I post my entry?
Right here in this thread! As long as you get it before I post the new week's topic, I will round it up and include it in the voting.

Have the topics already been decided upon?
Yes! I have carefully selected them for a blend of subjects and difficulties. (I'm particularly looking forward to Round X...) However, this does bring up one possible point of contention--as administrator of this contest, I would have an unfair advantage if I entered myself. So I won't.

When does the contest begin?
Topic A and its associated color will be announced this Friday at approximately midnight, Eastern Standard Time! New topics will be posted at one-week intervals, as punctually as I can manage.

Until then, feel free to chat amongst yourselves, or ask any questions that have not already been answered here, which I will do my best to answer. Rules are subject to change up until the first topic is posted, so voice your objections now! Welcome to the ABC's, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a lowly map-maker, I will do my best attempts in this map contest... which will probably amount to a few badly drawn lines on a MSPaint .png. :p

Last edited:
Indeed interesting. So to enter one posts their map in this thread, then you'll put up a separate thread for voting? That's different to how the MotF does it with a separate entries thread, we'll have to see how it works out.
Also, the colour angle is very intriguing, I've already got a few ideas. Should be fun, when I have time.