The Age of the Elephant - A World Without Islam

In continental Southeast Asia, yes, for the most part - Indonesia was Hindu at this point, wasn't it? Although some sects of Christianity may end up drifting in that direction if that's the way things work out.

Yes, Sumatra, Java and Southern Borneo were Hindu, as were a few other islands, but generally the further from India you got the more animist-influenced Hinduism became. This was especially evident in the Spice Islands I think, although I'm not an expert. Buddhism was more prevalent in Indochina and East Asia, but North Sumatra is Buddhist I believe, as are the Phillipines.

EDIT: This could help :

Question: without the rise of Islam, how will it affect the steppe politics in general? Especially without Islam, the Khazars would only have two choices in converting to which religion: Christianity or Judaism, or a third choice would be to remain Tengrist. The Bulgars on the other hand, it can be anyone's guess, and which faith will dominate Central Asia?

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Question: without the rise of Islam, how will it affect the steppe politics in general? Especially without Islam, the Khazars would only have two choices in converting to which religion: Christianity or Judaism, or a third choice would be to remain Tengrist. The Bulgars on the other hand, it can be anyone's guess, and which faith will dominate Central Asia?

Well, I'm not sure that the rise of the Khazars is assured at this point, as they didn't seem to arise in a recognizable form until 60 years after the POD. I have a reasonably good idea of what faith will be predominant in the steppes, however, but I'd rather not spoil that just yet. :)

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Damn! I'm out for a week and the whole board is crawling with new great TLs!

Subscribed! ;)

Thanks!

I'll be working on the Roman-Sassanid War soon. Don't expect any important territorial changes, but do expect something of interest in the Iranian state...

Update 3 - Roman-Sassanid War of 577 - 582 CE

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Roman-Sassanid War of 577 - 582 CE

The perennial fate of the Roman and Sassanid Empires was, it seems, to fight one another. The next round had been delayed by Persia's fumbling around with the Aksumites in Yemen, but within half a decade, the conflict was almost inevitable. Pro-Roman revolts wracked the Christian portions of the Persian Caucasus, and Khosrau was determined to make an example of the rebellious Christians to save face after the Yemeni debacle. Once the crackdowns on the revolts began in earnest, the Romans declared war in support of their brothers in the faith, and crossed the border with the intention of marching on Dvin and liberating the whole of Persian Armenia. Khosrau, who had successfully baited the Romans into open conflict, executed the first Iranian victory of the war at Bolum late in 577, forcing the Romans back over the frontier. There the Roman army wintered in Theodosiopolis, which Khosrau placed under siege.

By the coming of spring, however, Justinian, the magister militum of the East, arrived with a cadre of fresh troops, raising the siege and driving the Iranians back over the border. From here, it appears, the tides turned, as the Iranian siege of Dara in Mesopotamia was thwarted in 579 by the armies of al-Mundhir ibn al-Harith [1] of the Ghassanids, and the Romans and their Armenian confederates advanced in the Caucasus. Khosrau died some time in the same year, and was succeeded by his son, Hormizd. As the Sassanids' military fortunes seemed to grow worse by the day, Hormizd, vengeful for the reverses his Empire had experienced at the hands of the Christians in his father's reign, seems to have vented his frustrations upon his own Christian subjects, the Nestorians of Persia. Long accused of Roman sympathies, the Christians of the Sassanid Empire had last been persecuted four decades before during Khosrau's reign. Despite this, the Church of Persia had striven to prove its loyalty in moving farther theologically from Roman orthodoxy.

With the arrest of the Patriarch Ezekiel, however, the Christians could tolerate no more. Across Mesopotamia and Persia open revolt flared, suppressed brutally by Hormizd. When the king's son, Khosrau, was struck dead by a Christian assassin, the vengeful king had Ezekiel executed. Distraught, the Christians of the Sassanid Empire went into hiding, their leaders fleeing abroad, largely to the Roman Empire and to Transoxiana.

As the civil strife in Persia continued, the Romans advanced in Armenia, capturing Dvin late in 581 and crushing the army of the general Adarmahan a few months afterwards. The campaign wound down to a halt when news came that the Emperor Justin had died, and that his caesar, Tiberius Constantine, had taken the throne. The new Emperor sent peace feelers to the court in Ctesiphon, where Hormizd, still overcome with rage at the death of his son, refuses. It is only when the magnates of Persia, sick of Hormizd's draconian rule and military blunders, deposed and blinded the king that the truce could come to realization.

The peace was a punishing one for the Iranians, but not one that they could contest with their armies in the condition they were - all of Armenia and Iberia would pass under Roman ownership, and the two Empires would renew their 50-year treaty of peace. The new king Bistam, brother of Hormizd, signed the peace reluctantly, wishing to end the war and to restore order in his new Empire.

The consequences of this brief but brutal war were of monumental importance. The expansion of Roman rule in the Caucasus and northern Mesopotamia would tax the Empire, which had already strengthened its control of Italy and, to an extent, the province of Spania (although the consequences of this victory on the Romans would not be seen for almost three decades). More immediately, Persia's defeat had made it weak in terms of military and prestige in the eyes of its neighbors, and its Christian populace, despite the end of the fierce prosecution, were embittered.

To the north and the southwest, vultures circled...

A map of the Caucasus and Northern Mesopotamia regions after the latest Roman-Persian war. The Roman frontier has now crept east into highland Armenia and modern-day Georgia.

The state of the Roman-Iranian frontier, before and after the War of 577 - 582.

--------------------------------------------------------​

[1] - Who was not implicated of treason by Maurice and deposed, as he had been IOTL.

I guess I lied about there being no territorial changes.

Last edited:

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
I agree, just use AD etc.

I have been since the second update at least, since I agree it makes it easier to read. I still think that within the universe another calender system is possible, since the use of AD/BC wasn't popularized until the 700s.

then make a point of pointing out that its just 'translated' from their slightly out-of-focus calender year instead of beating a dead horse, reminding everyone that it do have a calender hailing back to another date.

Oh and ... Subscribed

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
then make a point of pointing out that its just 'translated' from their slightly out-of-focus calender year instead of beating a dead horse, reminding everyone that it do have a calender hailing back to another date.

Oh and ... Subscribed

Sorry, but how have I been beating a dead horse? That was the only time I mentioned it since I was asked to use CE/BCE (which I have been), and it wasn't even brought up by me.

Question to help me with the next update: who would have succeeded Justin II, if not Tiberius II? Did he have male relatives?

I'm attaching a link on Justinian's cousin, Germanus. He died before Justin II, but some of his descendants (the younger Justinian and the younger Germanus [descended from the Ostrogothic kings]) were probably still around, so you can follow any of the internal links that interest you.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Thanks for the help. Interesting to see that Justinian, the magister militum who featured in the latest update, was actually a relation of his namesake. :) Although I guess the time has already passed, as I've decided to stick with Tiberius Constantine as Justin's successor, and Justinian seems a bit of a distant relation to ascend to the throne in any case.

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Thanks for the praise! The next three updates will focus on Central Asia, the Visigoths, and Aksum, in that order. :)

Update 4 - The Turkic Empire Rises Anew, 581 - 593 CE

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
This one took a while because I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Central Asian history, but on with the show:

--------------------------------------------------------

The Turkic Empire Rises Anew, 581 - 593 CE

Even as the Romans and Iranians waged the latest in an unceasing string of destructive conflicts, the Göktürks were splintering. The steppe empire's quick rise had been matched by an equally quick collapse, as the Turkic state split in two: an eastern state, focused on Ordu-Baliq [1], and a western state, centered around the city of Suyab [2]. In theory the western Turkic state answered to the khagan in the east, but this state of affairs was not particularly appealing to Tardu, the yabgu of Suyab. In 581 CE, Taspar, the khagan, had died, and the east descended into civil war between his sons. The ambitious Tardu had been planning to march east and assert his authority over the entirety of the khaganate. However, in that same year, an interesting set of petitioners arrived at his court.

As persecution against the Sassanid Empire's native Christians reached its climax under Hormizd IV, Persian church officials streamed into the Roman Empire to seek refuge. A smaller delegation, led by a bishop named Isaac, took their chances and headed north to beseech the help of the yabgu. Something in the message Isaac and his cadre of Nestorians brought to Tardu seems to have made an impression on the Turkic leader, who soon converted to Nestorian Christianity [3]. Abandoning for the moment his ventures in the east, Tardu turned his eyes to the empire in distress past his southern border, the lure of the title of 'Shahanshah' far stronger than that of 'Khagan'. Ultimately, however, it was to elude him - between 582 and 586 Tardu warred with the Sassanids, but was only able to secure the Bactrian highlands and the northeastern extremity of Iran. A military victory against the Sassanids was enough, at least, to satisfy Isaac and his followers' taste for retribution. At about this time, Tardu appointed Isaac the bishop of Suyab with the interest of teaching the gospel to his people, and then campaigned briefly north of the Caspian, securing tribute from the Turkic and Magyar tribes there. The increasing intensity of Turkic raids in what we would call European Russia would, in coming decades, have dramatic effects upon Eastern and Central Europe as well.

For now, however, Tardu's attention turned back from the west to the east, where, by 590, Taspar's nephew Talopien had successfully secured the throne from his rivals [4]. Tardu's armies, high off of victory over the Iranians, easily tore through Talopien's depleted, post-civil war forces at Turfan, capturing Ordu-Baliq in the summer of 592. Thus, under the leadership of the first Christian khagan, Tardu, the Empire of the Göktürks was restored after an eleven-year period of civil war. The Roman Empire and the newly-established Sui dynasty of China looked on uneasily, Sassanid fortunes looked grimmer than ever, and the seeds of a great demographic upheaval were sewn in the Russian steppes...

The empire of Tardu, khagan of the Göktürks. It extends into Mongolia in the east, the Pontic Steppe in the west, and Bactria in the south.

The Empire of Tardu, 593 CE (sans tributary regions)

[1] - In northern Mongolia.

[2] - In Kyrgyzstan.

[3] - Whether this is due to any actual theological resonance with the yabgu or if it was a purely political move is still hotly contested by TTL's historians.

[4] - IOTL, Tardu's aims in the east protracted the civil war and forced Ishbara Khagan, one of the eastern claimants, to seek the aid of Sui China.

Last edited: