Thanksforallthefish's Argentina & Southern Cone Patch

Isn't that a mouthful? Welcome! This is an attempt to make historical patches to the worlda focused on Argentina and the Southern Cone. This is not only out of patriotism: I geniuinly believe that this is an area severely lacking in AH works, and this is my little granito de arena to help with that.

First, the patch itself. Give it a warm welcome!

argentinapng.png

There are several problems with this patch, obviously:

• EDIT: FIRST OF ALL, it is Battle of Pavón, not Cepeda. I always get mixed between the two.
  • My main source are these maps, that of course are incomplete, and several history websites. So these maps are only so-so in accuraccy. But they will do the job for AH.Com TLs, mapgames, and the like. I will try to correct any mistakes.
  • The physical and political Worldas don't line up. Most glaring is the issue of Mar Chiquita, the lake in Córdoba that is almost never featured in AH.com maps. But while I think having it is better that not having it at all, further correction is needed. Also, the Worlda with rivers clashes balantly with Argentina's internal borders, especially those resting on the Paraná River. Further corrections are needed.
  • This patch is focused in Argentina in particular. I haven't touched Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile and much less Brazil. Even Uruguay has had border changes that I haven't taken into account. While I tried to include the result of the Pacific War, the Chaco War is still not done. And the Chilean-Argentine border is not even started, and WILL be a pain in the ass.
  • The territories that were conquered from the Natives are still a mess. I took as an starting point the dates when Chaco and Patagonia were made Gobernaciones (1872 and 1878, respectively) to fill them in, and before then, they're just claims. However, keep in mind that much like U.S. territories, they were still populated by Natives who often offered tight resistance: Chaco in particular wasn't really colonized until the early XX century. And what of nations like Paraguay and Chile that colonized and controlled similar territories yet they did not had (AFAIK) territorial division such as Gobernaciones and Territorios Nacionales? More research is needed!
  • If you think this period of time is confusing, wait until I continue deep into the XIX and the wonderfully confusing world of the Argentine Civil Wars and Independence Wars. With Caudillos and Dictadores, seccesionist movements and parallel states, foreign invasions and claimed lands everywhere, it's going to be fun for the whole family! Well, for you at least. I'm the one drawing it...
Now, this brings me to a yapa, as we call it here. A color scheme for the Southern Cone! (hey, I can hear you groaning from here!)

TFATF color scheme.png

My reasoning for this color scheme is that Argentina and the surrounding nations in the XIX century had a complex enough history, with civil wars lasting decades, that a different coloration is needed. Painting the Unitarian leagues as grey rebels for example would be ignoring the reality of two well defined sides in a civil war. Also, I'm going to be completely honest: the current burgundry or whatever color for Argentina is ugly. As sin. Como pisar caca descalzo.

Credits for the colors: The Unified Argentine color was made by myself (based on Argentina's flag). Uruguay and Bolivia come from TACOS. Federal color also comes from TACOS; it was originally used for the Seminole, and I decided to use it here because red was the main Federal color. Unitarian color comes from 'Northern Argentina' and Paraguayan color comes from Patagonia from @Aquagel8last320 TOASTER scheme, which sure is something. (I believed TOASTER's Paraguay color was a little boring for my tastes)

Of course, I'm a firm Munroist and I think you should use whatever color you want in your maps. HOWEVER, what if you have a TL or oneshot map in Argentina's XIX century? Wouldn't it be nice to have a color scheme to differentiate Unitarians from Federals and other caudillos? I made this little thing with that on mind. I might expand it to native peoples in the future.

Criticisms, questions, comments, advice? All is welcome. Stay tuned to this thread for further patches and projects!

Last edited:
Amazing work!!! Very good. Historically, the red was the federals colours, and the blue the unitarian one. But after Pavon, the political faction systema of Argentine change, first between Autonomist and Nationalist, then between the "Partido Autonomista Nacional", the join of the fist two, and the "Unión Cívica Radical").

I like this job!

PROGRESS:

argentinapng.png

I've tried to show Paraguay's borders before the Paraguayan War as best as I could. It is still a mess, and the Chaco war claims aren't shown at all. Also, I've found out that Argentine claims on Tarija were only dropped in 1899, so that's another thing to patch. I'm not sure if I'll show Rosas' claims over Paraguay; that's why I kept it open.. Next up it's the 1836-1853 period: one with (mostly) static borders, but many civil conflicts and foreign wars. Also planned are small historical maps for the Paraguayan, Chaco, and maybe Pacific Wars. Keep in mind that I still haven't started to work in Patagonia and the Argentine-Chile Border at all.

Now, see The Thing on my personal color scheme. Thanks to @Stuyvesant for the dominion and protectorate colors; they certainly work a lot better!

TFATF color scheme.png