Succesful Operation Barbarossa

my timeline was base on a HOI game, so in an alternate history perspective we can say that it s not realistic at all.

the POD is 1933, in the german state administration system first. (Better planification, change of research priorities, change in naval goals, better diplomacy, more Infantry units, etc...)

For example the only goal assign to kriegsmarine in 1941 is to destroy the soviet fleet of the baltic, destroy the Swedish fleet, organise landing operation in Norvege and sweden and near leningrad. that s all.
The Uboot have of course are not be forgotten but plans are made to develop the kriegsmarine after 1944 (no plan Z, oil from caucasus, soviests ressources at disposal) and with new tech only.
In short the navy is the poor parent exept for landing operation and have planes to compensate.

So on the one hand you do have more Kriegsmarine already in 1941 - for the simple reason that you have cancelled Weserübung in 1940. Unfortunately, that in turn means the British, French and Polish have occupied northern Norway, your land units will have taken Denmark, and central Norway is of no use to either side because it's contested air space. Additionally, you are unable to wage any significant naval war in the Atlantic with surface raiders, and even U-Boote will be hamstrung, because northern Norway in enemy hands has a very bad impact on your freedom of movement.

You have not received Swedish iron ore for a few months, by the way. That's less steel for Krupp.

Trying to carry out Weserübung a year later, and at the same time making the Swedes enemies too, and at the same time defeating the Soviets in the Baltic and carrying out a massive landing operation is a good way to make sure at least some of these efforts will fail (surely the one in Norway), and possibly all of them. Note you need, as mentioned, significant Luftwaffe fighter resources for the battle area over southern Norway, thus making them unavailable for Barbarossa.

Develop landing troops and materials; AND paratroopers take lot of time and ressources and i use them only in area where i have air and naval supremacy (Baltic sea) and nowhere else (no crete operation).

So you also need significant Luftwaffe assets in Greece to keep the British in check in Crete, and you have made resupply convoys to north Africa more at risk. Not to mention that a bomber unit based in Crete can harass (not cause serious damage, but harass) Ploesti, your oil well, so you have to keep fighters there too.

the all point was to take lenigrad as fast as possible and use the port to have a better acces to soviet roads (and train lines at a point of the campaign)

You are assuming you might capture the port facilities intact. I think an optimistic assumption is that they won't be usable for a month, due to obvious demolition work by the Soviets. And it might be more than a month.

The all goal of the swing door strat is to not go east too far before destroy as much units as possible, and not focus on grabbing land (in a first stage of the campaign).

The problem with that is that if there are 600,000 men defending Kiev, not counterattacking you, and you don't want to grab that land, you won't be going to Kiev and you won't be destroying their units either.

English is not my mother tongue either, so just keep exercising, you'll get better.

Usually there is no difficulties to invade ALL of Norvege and Sweden after the fall of France. but you have to be very carefull to not loose any ship but i can do it with massive air support (no battle of england). For iron i plan use the french mines and only invade sweden for tungsten

Crete is a pain in my south flanc for a long time i admit , but it s also a good place to kill bombers it s 50/50; axis allies can handle it with few support until i take the island (and invade Turkey).

Loose all my subs in the atlantic in 1941 seems to be a strange tactic , prefer have only few subs in far away places and use them like ghost for few attacks at criticals moment.

I found that when you manage to really broke the soviet front ( in all type of game) it s very hard for them to handle any attacks after the initial blow if and only if it s succesfull. (if not you get smashed; all the cases).

It s all the interrest of an succesfull phase one in Barbarossa

for closing a big poket where nearly half of soviets forces are present ; i admit also it s a challenge. You need all the axis' forces help to do it.

More and more motivate to publish my version of ww2 timeline Ii am a big AAR fan for HOI.
With all your notes i m sure to not do ASB !

Thanks for your reply !

Deleted member 1487

And they showed that throughput was quite inadequate for AGC to conduct an advance on Moscow in August 1941. Guderian, contrary to your claims, was not drawing from AGC, but from the same source as 2nd Army: the rail lines you mentioned running through Pripyat. His railheads were much closer.
This is why the maps of rail lines matter. They disprove your claim:

The unloading zone for the Pripyet branch line was very far from Guderian and at best supplied part of 2nd Army during the Gomel battle in mid October. Guderian was drawing from the unconverted Roslavl branch line from Smolensk, which was closest behind his forces.
In the map below 4th army HQ flag is at Smolensk, 18th Panzer is at Roslavl, 2nd Army's XII Corps is at Gomel, while 2nd Panzer Army is pushing on Starodub and is around Shetscha not far from the terminus of the red line with the small green circle (unloading zone) east of Gomel. You can even see Bryansk by the Soviet 290th division, which places Guderian's red rail lines on the map above right behind his forces on the map below.
250841 North-South II.jpg

As it was throughout August Guderian's Panzers advanced further south using an unconverted branch line from Smolensk than he would have had to advance east to Smolensk. He had ample of supplies to pull of multiple victories on the road to Kiev, including defeating multiple offensives against his long flanks from Bryansk Front as well as holding Yelnya into September against extremely heavy assaults from Reserve Front. Meanwhile, also supplied from Smolensk, 3rd Panzer Army was defeating Soviet armies in the area of Velyki Luki to the North all while AG-Center was on the defensive and beating off multiple major offensives from the Soviet Western and Reserve Fronts.

Attacking toward Vyazma and liquidating the pocket wouldn't have cost any more supplies than were being spent in August IOTL and forces wouldn't have to travel nearly as far either. Plus 4th Panzer Army of AG-North, if not pushed on to Leningrad, could handle the Staraya Russa offensive from AG-North's resources as well as tackle Velyiki Luki, plus advance on the Valdai Hills and push to severe the Moscow-Leningrad rail line as well as cover AG-Center's flank from the north. In fact launching the Vyazma pocket battle early if anything saves AG-Center a lot of casualties and resources given how much was spent passively reacting to the heavy Soviet offensives east of Smolensk in August-September, especially at Yelnya.

The throughput data also shows rather conclusively that only a 14-17 divisions could be supported in an advance eastward on the Moscow axis and that is simply not going to be enough to breakthrough the Soviet lines, pull off the Vyazma encirclement, and then advance all the way, even in 1941. They can't even hold the front. You know this, because something I noticed with your spiel, and one of the points I was going to try to make on your recent post, is you keep trying to have it both ways: somehow AGC advances with it's near-full strength so as to pull off the Vyazma encirclement and adequately secure the flanks and yet the Germans only have to logistically support two armies advancing on the Moscow Axis. These are mutually contradictory: either the bulk of AGC advances and thus puts unacceptable strain on that quickly brings it back to a halt October, or only two armies advance and that is quite insufficient to take a Moscow defended by some 10 Soviet armies and able to call upon a potential reinforcement pool of up to 96 divisions from the strategic reserves if necessary as of the end of August.
You're misunderstanding my argument then. The Vyazma pocket isn't part of the advance on Moscow, it is a separate close in operation to open the path to Moscow. The forces I'm arguing advance on Moscow after Vyazma would be 3rd Panzer army and 4th army, leaving Guderian to cover the southern flank, 9th army the north in conjunction with AG-North's flank help through 4th Panzer army. Vyazma would be the furthest the majority of AG-Center would advance east, leaving the actual further advance to two armies, one motorized one infantry. Since there were no reserve armies beyond Vyazma in August-early September, as Western and Reserve Fronts contained everything on that axis and they were committed to offensive operations, then effectively exploiting forces after Vyazma have nearly free reign.
To put things into context, Smolensk to Vyazma is 94 miles, Vyazma to Moscow is 135 miles. Smolensk to Moscow is about 229 miles. So the Vyazma pocket is only about 40% of the distance to Moscow. So when I'm saying the advance on Moscow I mean the exploitation after Vyazma and likely the German logistics planners were talking about that distance rather than the issue of supporting armies several dozen extra miles east rather than a couple hundred. If that means say only 10 exploitation divisions could be sent east after the Vyazma pocket (which if anything would ease the logistics burden due to removing most of the possible combat AG-Center would face for at least several weeks after), that should be enough given that Reserve Front was committed forward at the time and didn't retain forces around Moscow proper like in October when they were trying desperately to reform 5th Army and several others.

What 10 Soviet armies existed around Moscow after Western and Reserve Fronts are basically destroyed at Vyazma? Bryansk Front is stuck on the flank and screened by Guderian, Central Front is largely destroyed, but the remnants are defending Kiev from the north, Kiev forces are stuck in place and engaged in combat with AG-South, Leningrad forces really only have one rail link with Moscow and that would be facing interdiction by AG-North/4th Panzer Army in the Valdai region. Given the rail situation that the Soviets were facing in August-September, they were pretty poorly off as well and unable to move units around as easily as in October and beyond, as the industrial evacuations were still ongoing and would be ramped up pretty high if Moscow were threatened. Plus there is the Moscow panic as of October, which would be worse in August given the lack of developed defensive lines in front of the city.
IOTL they only started in July and worked into October:
https://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii0232
wwii0232.jpg

In this still frame from a MGM Hearst "News of the Day" Newsreel, Moscow citizens dig an anti-tank trench outside of Moscow in October 1941. After the fall of Smolensk in July 1941, 200,000 people were mobilized to dig fortifications along the Mozhaisk Defense Line sixty miles outside Moscow, mostly by hand, in what citizens called the "Labor Front." Three-fourths were women because so many men were drafted for combat. General (later Marshal of the Soviet Union) Georgy K. Zhukov (December 1, 1896 - June 18, 1974) ordered the organization of civilian construction battalions partly to quell rising panic as the Germans approached. The Soviet government had to allocate a thousand tons of sheet steel for spades and pickaxes, because tools were in short supply.

Usually there is no difficulties to invade ALL of Norvege and Sweden after the fall of France. but you have to be very carefull to not loose any ship but i can do it with massive air support (no battle of england).

Then the game you are using is short on logistics. It also seems to ignore the possibility that the British, French and Polish troops land in Norway first, as they almost did in OTL and would in all likelihood do if the Germans don't beat them to the punch. Once they are settled in northern Norway, they can be a true nuisance.

This is why the maps of rail lines matter. They disprove your claim:

The unloading zone for the Pripyet branch line was very far from Guderian and at best supplied part of 2nd Army during the Gomel battle in mid October. Guderian was drawing from the unconverted Roslavl branch line from Smolensk, which was closest behind his forces.
In the map below 4th army HQ flag is at Smolensk, 18th Panzer is at Roslavl, 2nd Army's XII Corps is at Gomel, while 2nd Panzer Army is pushing on Starodub and is around Shetscha not far from the terminus of the red line with the small green circle (unloading zone) east of Gomel. You can even see Bryansk by the Soviet 290th division, which places Guderian's red rail lines on the map above right behind his forces on the map below.
View attachment 460796

Looking at that first map, it's pretty clear that the route you are referring to Roslavl was (A) converted (seeing as the rail lines behind it was shaded blue) and (B) did not depend on the Smolensk rail line directly. Thus, your own map pretty conclusively proves that Guderian in mid/late-August was being supplied not from the Smolensk railhead, but by one much closer to his rear.

And Guderian did draw from the Gomel region once he had advanced far enough south (down to Starodub, roughly) that it was more prudent and it and it's branch lines supplied him through the Kiev advance. We know this not just because of the geographic proximity but because the diary of 2nd Panzer Group discusses it as does the diary of 2nd Army (although in the latter case, it's too complain about how their supplies are being diverted to a bunch of hotshot panzertruppen).

You're misunderstanding my argument then. The Vyazma pocket isn't part of the advance on Moscow, it is a separate close in operation to open the path to Moscow. The forces I'm arguing advance on Moscow after Vyazma would be 3rd Panzer army and 4th army, leaving Guderian to cover the southern flank, 9th army the north in conjunction with AG-North's flank help through 4th Panzer army. Vyazma would be the furthest the majority of AG-Center would advance east, leaving the actual further advance to two armies, one motorized one infantry.

That it may or may not technically be a separate operation is irrelevant: you are still proposing the bulk of AGC launch a major breakthrough advance on the Moscow axis at a time when it's logistical situation makes clear that doing so would result in the same sort of breakdown experienced in October. Your claims that it would not require more supplies likewise remain unsubstantiated and contradicted by the logistical studies done as well as the actual historical Vyazma operation, which consumed AGC's entire supply stockpile for the Moscow advance it had managed to accumulate during September (and does not exist IATL) and pushed the rail situation beyond the breaking point.

Since there were no reserve armies beyond Vyazma in August-early September, as Western and Reserve Fronts contained everything on that axis and they were committed to offensive operations, then effectively exploiting forces after Vyazma have nearly free reign.

There were no reserve armies beyond Vyazma in October either. The Soviets simply railed them in from the deep rear. You tried to refute this with some non-sequitur which equated the deep rear in general with the Far East specifically, but those are not the same thing. You also claimed that the bulk of forces which mounted the defense of Moscow, but this is false: 25 divisions were railed in between October 14 and November 4 as opposed to 8 divisions railed in between November 4 and the start of the German offensive on November 15. So the bulk of the divisions that mounted the defense of Moscow were railed in during October.

What 10 Soviet armies existed around Moscow after Western and Reserve Fronts are basically destroyed at Vyazma?

It is the armies of the Western Front and Reserve Front I am referring too, since AGC can't advance and pull off the Vyazma encirclement like you are insinuating. Beyond that, in the Moscow district alone there were 20 rifle divisions and 8 tank brigades that remained in reserve by the end of August and an additional 2 divisions would arrive in September. Additionally, another 8 rifle divisions were in the immediately adjacent Orel military district and could be sent up to Moscow in extremely short order. By comparison, the Moscow military district only had 4 divisions at the start of Typhoon. Finally, even if a second Vyazma encirclement was achieved, the bulk of forces would, as happened historically, manage to escape with enough of a cadre left that they could be reconstituted with replacements and sent back into battle in extremely short order: of the 61 divisions under the command of the Reserve/Kalinin and Western Front's at the start of Typhoon, only 23 were total losses to the pockets.

-Stalin's Keys to Victory: The Rebirth of the Red Army in WWII, Walter S. Dunn
Chapter 5

Given the rail situation that the Soviets were facing in August-September, they were pretty poorly off as well and unable to move units around as easily as in October and beyond, as the industrial evacuations were still ongoing and would be ramped up pretty high if Moscow were threatened.

This remains a completely unsubstantiated claim that you have not provided the slightest evidence for: we have OTL to show that the Soviets were able to shuttle in replacements and supplies via railroad quite fine. The only source you've given on the industrial evacuation does not at any point say that the evacuations compromised the ability of the Soviets and says that industrial evacuation was subordinated to the need of the military.

Plus there is the Moscow panic as of October,

Which did not compromise the defense of the city and indeed showed no unwillingness to fight for the city. Indeed, a large part of the "panic" stemmed from the city's populaces desire to fight for the city and it's anger at a (incorrect, but understandable) perception that the leadership was preparing to abandon the city without a fight. Stahel goes into this quite a bit in his book on Typhoon on pages 209-214.

which would be worse in August given the lack of developed defensive lines in front of the city. IOTL they only started in July and worked into October:

(Emphasis added)
So in other words, they already had the developed defensive line there and would have already developed it for a solid 1-2 months.

Deleted member 1487

Looking at that first map, it's pretty clear that the route you are referring to Roslavl was (A) converted (seeing as the rail lines behind it was shaded blue) and (B) did not depend on the Smolensk rail line directly. Thus, your own map pretty conclusively proves that Guderian in mid/late-August was being supplied not from the Smolensk railhead, but by one much closer to his rear.
I'm not sure if you're color blind, but the line from Smolensk to Roslavl is red. The line up to Smolensk is blue. Also there is no other servicing line between Roslavl and Smolensk, so any rail link between the two is via the Minsk-Smolensk rail line. Of course since the line is unconverted trains would have to be unloaded and reloaded at Smolensk to trains on the unconverted Roslavl branch line. I never said he was being supplied from Smolensk directly, rather than he was supplied by the unconverted Roslavl branch line, which was itself serviced by the Smolensk rail terminus. So I don't know what you think you're arguing that is different than what I've said.

And Guderian did draw from the Gomel region once he had advanced far enough south (down to Starodub, roughly) that it was more prudent and it and it's branch lines supplied him through the Kiev advance. We know this not just because of the geographic proximity but because the diary of 2nd Panzer Group discusses it as does the diary of 2nd Army (although in the latter case, it's too complain about how their supplies are being diverted to a bunch of hotshot panzertruppen).
As of August 28th, the date on the map, the Pripyet line terminated well short of Gomel due to destroyed bridges; 2nd Army is the only army that could have drawn from it as of the date of the map because it is much further from Guderian's Panzer army, which had an in-service branch line from Smolensk right behind his front. Even then it is unclear that he drew supply from Gomel even in September when he advanced into Ukraine. Since you're citing 2nd Army and Panzer Army's diaries, at what date did they claim he drew from Gomel? As of August he couldn't be drawing from anything other than the Roslavl branch line.

That it may or may not technically be a separate operation is irrelevant: you are still proposing the bulk of AGC launch a major breakthrough advance on the Moscow axis at a time when it's logistical situation makes clear that doing so would result in the same sort of breakdown experienced in October. Your claims that it would not require more supplies likewise remain unsubstantiated and contradicted by the logistical studies done as well as the actual historical Vyazma operation, which consumed AGC's entire supply stockpile for the Moscow advance it had managed to accumulate during September (and does not exist IATL) and pushed the rail situation beyond the breaking point.
It couldn't be the same sort of break down because the mud wouldn't be turning the roads into muck and stopping the wheeled supply trucks. But since you claim that the situation would be the same as in October, then they had the supply strength to create the OTL Vyazma pocket and capture over 650k Soviet troops and kill about 300k more. The 'stockpile' IOTL Typhoon was gone within 2 days according to a previous post in another thread you made (you claimed it was gone by October 3rd), which means said stockpile was effectively meaningless in the conduct of the operation, as the pocket battle was over on the 14th or so, while the exploitation started on the 10th or so. Long after stockpiles were gone, but right as the rains and mud were starting to bite in the Vyazma region. Apparently they weren't hampered in wiping 1 million men from the Soviet roster by the supply situation.

There were no reserve armies beyond Vyazma in October either. The Soviets simply railed them in from the deep rear. You tried to refute this with some non-sequitur which equated the deep rear in general with the Far East specifically, but those are not the same thing. You also claimed that the bulk of forces which mounted the defense of Moscow, but this is false: 25 divisions were railed in between October 14 and November 4 as opposed to 8 divisions railed in between November 4 and the start of the German offensive on November 15. So the bulk of the divisions that mounted the defense of Moscow were railed in during October.
Looks like they were either armies that were already there and managed to retreat with tattered divisions or small units (16th Army) or from reformed units (5th Army) with the occasional individual division brought in at the last second (32nd rifles). New division brought in during the pocket battles were the exception, not the rule; they used units already in the area or were outside the pocket, coupled with new small units they were already forming, while a couple got 1 pre-war division as a hard core to stiffen the rest of the mish-mash of units in the command.

32nd Rifles was apparently not in the deep rear either, but around Leningrad in late September and transferred to Moscow in early October. But again they were an extreme exception per that chart I posted and you call a non sequitur. I didn't call the Far East the only Deep Rear, as the point of the chart was that the units were mostly not from even Siberia or the Far East. Plus they weren't brought in from that 'Deep Rear', but areas nearby as they were starting to arrive after being transferred weeks earlier and only half arrived as of October. That means in August or even early September they wouldn't be available yet since it took them much longer to arrive anywhere in the front line.

Of the 25 divisions you mention, which BTW do you have a chart of which ones those were and where they came from, how many came in after the offensive was paused? Or in the last week of October after it had bogged down so badly in the mud that the offensive had effectively already stalled? You're right that the majority of the Soviet divisions that were present as of the resumption of Typhoon in November started to move in October, but it took them weeks to arrive.

It is the armies of the Western Front and Reserve Front I am referring too, since AGC can't advance and pull off the Vyazma encirclement like you are insinuating. Beyond that, in the Moscow district alone there were 20 rifle divisions and 8 tank brigades that remained in reserve by the end of August and an additional 2 divisions would arrive in September. Additionally, another 8 rifle divisions were in the immediately adjacent Orel military district and could be sent up to Moscow in extremely short order. By comparison, the Moscow military district only had 4 divisions at the start of Typhoon. Finally, even if a second Vyazma encirclement was achieved, the bulk of forces would, as happened historically, manage to escape with enough of a cadre left that they could be reconstituted with replacements and sent back into battle in extremely short order: of the 61 divisions under the command of the Reserve/Kalinin and Western Front's at the start of Typhoon, only 23 were total losses to the pockets.

-Stalin's Keys to Victory: The Rebirth of the Red Army in WWII, Walter S. Dunn
Chapter 5
And yet per Glantz's "Operation Barbarossa" the Soviets took 1 million casualties in two weeks (p.147), including losing about 650k prisoners alone in the pockets, the vast majority in Vyazma. So while on paper some fragment of the divisions may have survived in some form, they were paper divisions in reality. Over 80% of Soviet soldiers on the Moscow axis as of October 1st were effectively gone by October 14th. The vast bulk of forces were eliminated.

If we go by Forcyzk it is about 855k Soviet soldiers destroyed in the pockets:
https://books.google.com/books?id=-2ptBQAAQBAJ&pg=PT139&lpg=PT139&dq=vyazma+pocket+casualties&source=bl&ots=TUXuEZMxNI&sig=ACfU3U1UR2rEyinEF8fDQruhgR9rZlKtMg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO6vfzpq3iAhUCT6wKHZijAmMQ6AEwFHoECC8QAQ#v=onepage&q=vyazma pocket casualties&f=false

Or from the Russians:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Вяземская_операция#Потери
The total losses of the Western, Reserve fronts, field constructions of the Western Directorate of the GUBOPR and other civil commissariats are 770–925 thousand people [6] .

Gutiontov P. “They were killed, they were forgotten” // Novaya Gazeta . - 2017. - № 55. - 26.05.2017.

When you say divisions in reserve in August, you mean in the Reserve Front? Because Reserve Front was committed to several offensive operations IOTL in August-September. Which divisions/brigades then were in the reserve in August?

This remains a completely unsubstantiated claim that you have not provided the slightest evidence for: we have OTL to show that the Soviets were able to shuttle in replacements and supplies via railroad quite fine. The only source you've given on the industrial evacuation does not at any point say that the evacuations compromised the ability of the Soviets and says that industrial evacuation was subordinated to the need of the military.
Stephen Kotkin mentions it in his lectures on Stalin starting at 32 minutes in:

Reserves were moved around eventually, but there were delays in the build up (see the offensives in December 1941 starting before units were in place, equipment was delivered, supplies in place, etc.).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/151494?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Per the above, yes theoretically the evacuations weren't supposed to impede military operations, but the actual execution of the evacuations was so jumbled due to the rapidity it had to be carried out that living up to the dictates about how the evacuation was to be conducted broke down, waylaying rolling stock and locomotives, not to mention clogging rail lines. Within combat zones the military of course took precedence, but once the rolling stock left those zones it did not continue to involve the military.

It is frankly quite amazing that the Soviets managed to unwind the mess and get back into even partial production by late Autumn.

Which did not compromise the defense of the city and indeed showed no unwillingness to fight for the city. Indeed, a large part of the "panic" stemmed from the city's populaces desire to fight for the city and it's anger at a (incorrect, but understandable) perception that the leadership was preparing to abandon the city without a fight. Stahel goes into this quite a bit in his book on Typhoon on pages 209-214.
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Московская_паника_1941_года

In reading the Stahel section you mention he does say what you claim, but doesn't cite many sources about that interpretation, while then going on to refute his own position by later comments that were cited:
While the true depths of the calamity engulfing the Western, Reserve and Briansk Fronts went largely unreported in Moscow, the population was well informed by unofficial sources that the situation at the front was developing into another debacle. Peter Miller, a well- known historian living in Moscow, recorded on 7 October: ‘The silence of the SovInformBuro [Soviet Information Bureau] is irritating, although people no longer read [its] communiqués ... There is a mood of catas- trophe and fatalism. The shops are empty, even coffee has disappeared ... There is a feeling of approaching catastrophe in the air and endless rumours: Orel has been surrendered, Viaz’ma has been surrendered, the Germans have got to Maloiaroslavets ... The mood is particularly bad today.’9 While wild rumours and unsubstantiated gossip fuelled a rising sense of panic, the absence of official statements to confirm or deny a true picture of events only contributed to people’s worst fears. Such absurdities reached new heights when on 8 October the lead article in Pravda, the Soviet daily newspaper, concerned ‘The Work of Women in War Time’.10 To counter the spread of rumours about a crisis at the front Soviet officials began issuing warnings that enemy spies and agents were attempting ‘to disorganise the rear and to create panic’. Even so by 12 October Pravda was itself making reference to the ‘terrible danger’ threatening the country.11 Yet as far as most people knew the fighting was concentrated around Viaz’ma, and indeed this is where the Germans were tied up for some time eliminating the pocket they had created there. Yet when German forces suddenly appeared at Mozhaisk, only 100 kilometres from the Soviet capital, confirmation that another disaster had befallen the Red Army appeared irrefutable. This, coupled with the sudden rush to evacuate the government quarter and mine hundreds of prominent buildings, only acted to confirm the danger Moscow was in. It seemed to many that German tanks would reach the capital within a day or two and that the city itself might well fall to the Germans directly off the march just as Orel, Viaz’ma, Briansk and Kalinin all had. As Olga Sapozhnikova recalled, from 16 October: ‘There was a feeling the Germans might appear in the street at any moment.’12 Likewise, Stephan Mikoyan noted: ‘Rumours of the proximity of the Germans spread like wildfire alongside the news that major industries had been evacuated and the city’s most important buildings mined. This sparked a general panic.’13

Contributing to the spiralling sense of dread within the city was an alarming mix-up, never fully explained, at the SovInformBuro radio network. On 16 October, the opening day of the Moscow panic, the loudspeakers broadcasting the morning news suddenly broke off and a song began playing. Many at first assumed it to be the patriotic Soviet song, ‘The March of the Airmen’, but the melody was wrong and only some recognised it as the ‘Horst Wessel Lied’, the anthem of the Nazi party from 1930 to 1945. Had the Germans already begun to take over the city? Moments later the song cut out and the announcer returned to the morning news without any explanation.14 Such events further inten- sified the already wildly extravagant rumours and led to suggestions that Stalin had been arrested in a coup d’état and that the Germans had reached Fili, where the Mozhaisk highway enters Moscow.15 Others even suggested that German paratroops had landed in Red Square and that German troops wearing Red Army uniforms had already entered Moscow.16 Overwrought nerves were stretched to breaking point and, when people began to vent their fears and frustrations in acts of public disobedience, mobs quickly fired the wave of discontent and the results were manifest in riots, looting and frantic attempts to flee the city. There were even public instances of people denouncing Soviet power, cries of support for Hitler and calls to ‘Beat the Jews.’17

The sections that talk about the panic stemming from the evacuation of the elites and frustration at the war management only include cites from tertiary literature and contradict what is above from people who were there. The unreported defeats coupled with the admission the Germans were but several dozen miles away started the panic and it was only the imposing of draconian NKVD justice that really brought things back in order, as well as the slow down in the German advance.

(Emphasis added)
So in other words, they already had the developed defensive line there and would have already developed it for a solid 1-2 months.
Not really:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Битва_за_Москву
By the beginning of October 1941 the construction of the line was not completed, the equipment was completed only by 40%. A total of 296 pillboxes , 535 DZOT , 170 km were built. anti-tank ditches and 95 km. escarpes [26] . Most of the bunkers were without hatches, armored shields and doors. As a rule, there was no camouflage and ventilation, electricity was far from everywhere, and there were no surveillance devices [32] .

Glantz "Barbarossa" p.138 also supports this. The start of the work was in mid-July, but by August it was barely started due to the lack of materials and tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if you're color blind, but the line from Smolensk to Roslavl is red. The line up to Smolensk is blue. Also there is no other servicing line between Roslavl and Smolensk, so any rail link between the two is via the Minsk-Smolensk rail line. Of course since the line is unconverted trains would have to be unloaded and reloaded at Smolensk to trains on the unconverted Roslavl branch line. I never said he was being supplied from Smolensk directly, rather than he was supplied by the unconverted Roslavl branch line, which was itself serviced by the Smolensk rail terminus. So I don't know what you think you're arguing that is different than what I've said.

It's a bit confusing since the colors, since the blue lines to show converted lines blend in heavily with the black lines, but it seems that there's a blue line which branches off from Orsha on the Minsk-Smolensk line and goes down to Roslavl.

As of August 28th, the date on the map, the Pripyet line terminated well short of Gomel due to destroyed bridges; 2nd Army is the only army that could have drawn from it as of the date of the map because it is much further from Guderian's Panzer army, which had an in-service branch line from Smolensk right behind his front. Even then it is unclear that he drew supply from Gomel even in September when he advanced into Ukraine. Since you're citing 2nd Army and Panzer Army's diaries, at what date did they claim he drew from Gomel? As of August he couldn't be drawing from anything other than the Roslavl branch line.

And yet both Quartermaster Staff documentation, 2nd Panzer Group diaries, and 2nd Army diaries state they were drawing from the Gomel railhead at the end of August. At this point, you are claiming that the Germans didn't know where their supplies were coming from. Given that the chaotic central organization of the rail nets is rather well-established while the unreliability of those recording what they received is not, it's more likely that the map was not up to date when it was drafted on August 28th.

It couldn't be the same sort of break down because the mud wouldn't be turning the roads into muck and stopping the wheeled supply trucks.

They key was the collapse of the railways. Your denial of this is active historical negationism, but it is clearly outlined in the material and has been endlessely studied in logistical matters. You tried that it wasn't so because there were still occasionally trains reaching the railheads, but then truck columns also occasionally managed to get through the mud so by that logic the mud didn't do anything to German supply state. It's not about whether any trains or trucks got through as it is the number getting through and the trend there from about September 30th onwards is relentlessly down.

But since you claim that the situation would be the same as in October, then they had the supply strength to create the OTL Vyazma pocket and capture over 650k Soviet troops and kill about 300k more.

I said the situation would be the same as following the supply collapse. At the start of the advance, the situation would in fact be considerably worse then at the start of Typhoon: rail-throughput was much lower then at the start of Typhoon and there would be no stockpile for AGC to use in supplying the forces to force the breakthrough and create the pocket. Additionally, the Germans would not benefit from a thousand little planning details they did OTL. Relatively little things like being able to reconnoiter Soviet lines to determine weak points that all add up.

The 'stockpile' IOTL Typhoon was gone within 2 days according to a previous post in another thread you made (you claimed it was gone by October 3rd), which means said stockpile was effectively meaningless in the conduct of the operation, as the pocket battle was over on the 14th or so, while the exploitation started on the 10th or so. Long after stockpiles were gone, but right as the rains and mud were starting to bite in the Vyazma region. Apparently they weren't hampered in wiping 1 million men from the Soviet roster by the supply situation.

Except it was used up creating the breakthrough. The breakthrough finished and exploitation began long before the pocket battles ended. Indeed, the creation of the pockets was a function of exploitation. Without the stocks, AGC's advance collapses before it can even breakthrough.

Looks like they were either armies that were already there and managed to retreat with tattered divisions or small units (16th Army) or from reformed units (5th Army) with the occasional individual division brought in at the last second (32nd rifles). New division brought in during the pocket battles were the exception, not the rule; they used units already in the area or were outside the pocket, coupled with new small units they were already forming, while a couple got 1 pre-war division as a hard core to stiffen the rest of the mish-mash of units in the command.

I cover where the reinforcement divisions came from later in this post. I'll just also point out that the reformed armies in question were only reformed after Typhoon began, with 5th Army only being reformed around October 7th.

32nd Rifles was apparently not in the deep rear either, but around Leningrad in late September and transferred to Moscow in early October. But again they were an extreme exception per that chart I posted and you call a non sequitur. I didn't call the Far East the only Deep Rear, as the point of the chart was that the units were mostly not from even Siberia or the Far East. Plus they weren't brought in from that 'Deep Rear', but areas nearby as they were starting to arrive after being transferred weeks earlier and only half arrived as of October. That means in August or even early September they wouldn't be available yet since it took them much longer to arrive anywhere in the front line.

Here is what you posted:

They combined a handful of existing divisions with whatever militia, newly formed reservists, and whatever replacements they could find. The Soviet 5th Army that held the main highway to Moscow from Vyazma was basically a single pre-war division, newly arrived from the Far East after traveling for weeks, combined with a couple of newly formed tank brigades. In total only about 14 division were brought in from the 'deep rear', of which 8 were around Moscow and of those only 4 were available in October:
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/the-siberian-divisions-and-the-battle-for-moscow-in-1941-42/
Without attacking units being confined to the roads due to the mud they could have been easily bypassed off road, but that was not an option as of early/mid-October. The major reinforcements formed/showed up in November.

I dismissed it as a non-sequitor because actually reading the article the focus is on the Soviet divisions that already existed when the war began which were in Siberia and got transferred westward, as these were the divisions that would count towards the myth of the Siberian divisions being some kind of elite reserve of forces from the pre-war period which is what the article is debunking. The article also briefly touches on the divisions formed in the Siberian District after the war began but it completely ignores the divisions formed in the Central Asian District. Nor does the article discuss the divisions drawn from parts of the Soviet deep rear which would have been on the European side of the Urals, like the Volga and Urals Military District, and were then transferred westward.​

Of the 25 divisions you mention, which BTW do you have a chart of which ones those were and where they came from, how many came in after the offensive was paused? Or in the last week of October after it had bogged down so badly in the mud that the offensive had effectively already stalled? You're right that the majority of the Soviet divisions that were present as of the resumption of Typhoon in November started to move in October, but it took them weeks to arrive.

The list is those forces which arrived at Moscow between October 7th began and November 4th. In terms of which ones and from where they were brought in...

Rifle Divisions:
32nd (Volkhov Front)
238th (Central Asia MD)
332nd (Moscow MD)
413th (Far East)
327th (Orel MD)
316th (Central Asia)
93rd (Far East MD)
329th (Orel MD)
185th (???)
78th (Far East MD)
262nd (Moscow MD)
359th (Urals MD)
375th (Urals MD)
371st (Urals MD)
1st Guards Motorized (Southwestern Front)
82nd Motorized (Far East MD)
Ivanovo Militia (self-evident)
2nd Moscow Militia (self-evident)
3rd Moscow Militia (self-evident)
4th Moscow Militia (self-evident)
5th Moscow Militia (self-evident)
Yaroslavl Militia (self-evident)

Cavalry:
24th (Transcaucasus MD)
17th Mountain (Transcaucasus MD)
18th Mountain (Central Asia MD)
20th Mountain (Central Asia MD)
44th Mountain (???)

The last one listed is the 58th Tank Divisions (one of the last such divisions left in the Red Army) which came from the Far Eastern MD. As can be seen from above, of the 27 divisions used to reinforce Moscow during October, 2 I am still uncertain as where they came from, 2 were transferred in from other parts of the frontlines (a feat even more difficult then in shipping in from the deep rear), 8 came from the Moscow Military District, 2 came from an adjacent "frontline" military district (the Orel District), and the remaining 13 came from military districts within the Soviets deep rear.

And yet per Glantz's "Operation Barbarossa" the Soviets took 1 million casualties in two weeks, including losing about 650k prisoners alone in the pockets, the vast majority in Vyazma. So while on paper some fragment of the divisions may have survived in some form, they were paper divisions in reality. Over 80% of Soviet soldiers on the Moscow axis as of October 1st were effectively gone by October 14th. The vast bulk of forces were eliminated.

Which in no way contradicts my point: many of the divisions had enough survivors among the fragments you reference to be rapidly reconstituted by using them as cadres around which the divisions were built and put back into battle to stop the Germans. This would still happen IATL.

When you say divisions in reserve in August, you mean in the Reserve Front? Because Reserve Front was committed to several offensive operations IOTL in August-September. Which divisions/brigades then were in the reserve in August?

The divisions I'm talking about were all ones which had yet been assigned to a parent formation. None of those divisions were assigned to the Reserve Front in August, although many were assigned to the Reserve and Western Fronts in September, as were all of the tank brigades.

Stephen Kotkin mentions it in his lectures on Stalin starting at 32 minutes in:

Are you sure? Because listening to it I hear him discuss the industrial evacuations and mainly focuses on the question of how much of it was directed centrally and how much was improvised from below... but at no point does he state that the industrial evacuations undermined the reinforcement of the frontline and the shuttling in of reserves or even mentions the latter in relation to the former.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Московская_паника_1941_года

In reading the Stahel section you mention he does say what you claim, but doesn't cite many sources about that interpretation, while then going on to refute his own position by later comments that were cited:

The sections that talk about the panic stemming from the evacuation of the elites and frustration at the war management only include cites from tertiary literature and contradict what is above from people who were there. The unreported defeats coupled with the admission the Germans were but several dozen miles away started the panic and it was only the imposing of draconian NKVD justice that really brought things back in order, as well as the slow down in the German advance.

Total nonsense. Stahel cites no less then 33 sources during the course of that section, many of them about that interpretation and from literature and records from people who were there. Additionally, I noticed you terminated your selection at a highly specific point because from the very next paragraph:

For all that the Moscow panic might suggest about the public mood, one should beware of paying too much attention to its more extreme elements. Much of the disorder passed without violence, and many more people observed the unruly behaviour than took part in it. Even more to the point, what took place could be characterised more by the fear that the capital was being surrendered to the Germans and by frustration at the departure of ruling elites. There is far less evidence of a pervasive anti-Soviet sentiment within Moscow; in fact the young Russian urban working class constituted the most active supporters of the Soviet state in 1941. There was also no collapse in the resolve of average Muscovites to pursue the war with Germany, only dismay at how that war was being managed. When on 16 October there were no newspapers, no shops open, no metro, and no money for wages, and workers turned up to factories that were either locked and abandoned or being fitted with explosives, it appeared to many that the city was being left to its doom. In this sense, the ensuing chaos was largely a response to the perceived neglect of the city’s defence and not, as some have claimed, a panic induced simply bythe approach of German forces.

As the city descended into turmoil, on 16 October Stalin hosted a meeting in which he ordered the immediate return of services to the city. The metro was to operate again, unpaid workers were to receive their money and shops were to reopen. Moreover, A. I. Shakhurin, the commissar for the aviation industry, made a public address on 17 October appealing for calm and assuring the population that Moscow would be defended 'stubbornly, fiercely, to that last drop of our blood’. These measures did not completely put an end to the unrest, but they did ensure that the disorder had peaked by 17 October. Indeed when on 16 October Stalin was told of the disturbances and lawlessness, including suggestions of widespread looting, his reaction was, for a man so insistent on absolute obedience, remarkably sedate. The Soviet dictator told Shakhurin: ‘Well, that’s not so bad. I thought things would have been worse.’ Yet parallel to his more benevolent measures to appease the population of Moscow Stalin never lost faith in the more trusted methods of the NKVD, which were also working to restore order. One such officer, Mikhail Ivanovich, recalled after the war: ‘It was necessary, absolutely necessary, to establish order. And yes, we did shoot people who refused to leave the shops and offices where food and other goods were stored.’

By 19 October the unrest in Moscow had ceased. In a 24-hour period from 19 to 20 October city authorities detained 1,530 people, of whom 1,442 were soldiers absent without leave from their units; the remainder, fewer than one hundred people, were arrested for vandalism and disturbing the peace... a remarkably low figure for a city of Moscow’s size. Indeed the only conceivable threat stemmed from the fourteen people arrested for being ‘agents provocateurs’–enemy agents. Accordingly Stalin’s decision on 20 October proclaiming Moscow to be in a‘state of siege’ and authorising draconian measures, including summary executions, was more a response to the approaching German threat rather than a reaction to internal strife. The so-called state of siege was a new emergency designation for strategically important areas,aimed to guarantee maximum mobilisation of resources, while also ensuring swift measures for provocateurs, spies and anyone propagating unrest. Six days after Moscow’s ‘state of siege’ was declared (on 26 October), Tula also received the designation and three days after that (on 29 October) the whole of Crimea was determined to be under siege.

There are twice as many citations above as in the section you quoted and paging through they seem to be largely the same kind: mostly other detailed academic studies with the occasional personal eyewitness record thrown in.

170 kilometers of defenses were completed according to your quote. That's more then enough to guard the western approaches to Moscow.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

It's a bit confusing since the colors, since the blue lines to show converted lines blend in heavily with the black lines, but it seems that there's a blue line which branches off from Orsha on the Minsk-Smolensk line and goes down to Roslavl.
Nope, regular black line with an x at that branch, which denotes that the bridge was destroyed, so the branch line was useless. So the Orsha branch line was not in use.
Maybe this larger version is easier to see:

No blue lines branching off between Minsk and Smolensk other than the Pripyet one. The Mogilev line is just a thicker black line.

And yet both Quartermaster Staff documentation, 2nd Panzer Group diaries, and 2nd Army diaries state they were drawing from the Gomel railhead at the end of August. At this point, you are claiming that the Germans didn't know where their supplies were coming from. Given that the chaotic central organization of the rail nets is rather well-established while the unreliability of those recording what they received is not, it's more likely that the map was not up to date when it was drafted on August 28th.
Can you tell me where you got that? Gomel might have been the designation for that line and was somewhat operational by August 31st, but was so far from 2nd Panzer Group that it couldn't have been supplying 2nd Panzer Army.
It is extraordinarily unlikely that the rail map was incorrect when drafted given that it came from the AG-Center's general staff.
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/...yu-polka-snabzheniya#page/36/mode/grid/zoom/1

They key was the collapse of the railways. Your denial of this is active historical negationism, but it is clearly outlined in the material and has been endlessely studied in logistical matters. You tried that it wasn't so because there were still occasionally trains reaching the railheads, but then truck columns also occasionally managed to get through the mud so by that logic the mud didn't do anything to German supply state. It's not about whether any trains or trucks got through as it is the number getting through and the trend there from about September 30th onwards is relentlessly down.
You haven't proven that was an issue in August-October, just repeatedly claimed it. Provide some documentation and what you mean by 'collapse' and we can try and come to some sort of agreement. Otherwise we're just talking passed one another. A slow downward trend in train arrival isn't a collapse, it at best is a slowdown, but wasn't the reason for the supply problems in October, as supposedly the train deliveries in November and December were lower than in October, but the Germans were still able to advance through November once the ground hardened. By your logic the Germans would have been totally stopped in November due to the train deliveries...but they weren't.

I said the situation would be the same as following the supply collapse. At the start of the advance, the situation would in fact be considerably worse then at the start of Typhoon: rail-throughput was much lower then at the start of Typhoon and there would be no stockpile for AGC to use in supplying the forces to force the breakthrough and create the pocket. Additionally, the Germans would not benefit from a thousand little planning details they did OTL. Relatively little things like being able to reconnoiter Soviet lines to determine weak points that all add up.
What was 'much lower'? Also by your own claim the stockpile was gone in the first two days, so played virtually no role in the pocket. As it was more resources were necessary to crack open the line because it had been allowed to solidify for months after the Smolensk pocket was wrapped up than would have been required in August due to the fluidity of the situation as Guderian's army group had taken Roslavl and ripped open the lines due to the destruction of the 28th army. The breakthrough was already there in the south, it was a question of exploiting it over the good highway to the East. In the north 3rd Panzer Group would have had a harder time forcing a breakthrough, but they were much closer to Smolensk and the situation in early-mid August was still relatively fluid.
Since the situation changed so much from August-October planning wasn't really all that critical in terms of weak spots, especially given the more fluid situation as of August; as it was it didn't prove to be all that necessary to quickly finding and exploiting the situation around Velyki Luki later in August or Guderian's relentless march south to Kiev IOTL without a period of rest and planning. The Soviets may have needed extensive planning and plotting to make their pockets possible, in 1941 the Germans did not, they were able to improvise on the fly and do extremely well. Smolensk happened on the fly and severely damaged Soviet forces.

Except it was used up creating the breakthrough. The breakthrough finished and exploitation began long before the pocket battles ended. Indeed, the creation of the pockets was a function of exploitation. Without the stocks, AGC's advance collapses before it can even breakthrough.
Maybe necessary as of October given how much the lines had solidified over months by that point, but not so much in August when things were still fluid, especially in the South where Guderian had ripped a big hole in the Soviet lines at Roslavl when the 28th army was destroyed there.
For comparison the situation south of Smolensk on August 1st and 8th during the destruction of the 28th army (and finishing off of the Smolensk pocket):
8-1.jpg

8-8.jpg

At least one gap was already achieved through the destruction of not just 1 Soviet army (the 28th), but also the destruction of the Smolensk pocket.

Then the situation on August 15th:
8-15.jpg

Western and Reserve Fronts getting ready for a major offensive to retake Smolensk, but nice and bunched up on the Vyazma axis, with German mobile divisions on either flank; 3rd Panzer Group pushing toward Belyi in the North and then southeast toward Vyazma had only half the distance to go as Guderian from Roslavl to Vyazma had the choice been made earlier to go east instead of pushing south, as we can see the results of by the 15th. Not nearly as much effort as would be needed on October 1st:
http://armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps/1941W/Moscow41/Moscow_Sep29_1941.jpg
Moscow_Sep29_1941.jpg

I cover where the reinforcement divisions came from later in this post. I'll just also point out that the reformed armies in question were only reformed after Typhoon began, with 5th Army only being reformed around October 7th.
Officially the reformation of the army was administratively on the 7th, but the forces were already either there or were previously dispatched from other areas and already on the way before the German offensive began or shortly thereafter like the 32nd Rifles.

Here is what you posted:

I dismissed it as a non-sequitor because actually reading the article the focus is on the Soviet divisions that already existed when the war began which were in Siberia and got transferred westward, as these were the divisions that would count towards the myth of the Siberian divisions being some kind of elite reserve of forces from the pre-war period which is what the article is debunking. The article also briefly touches on the divisions formed in the Siberian District after the war began but it completely ignores the divisions formed in the Central Asian District. Nor does the article discuss the divisions drawn from parts of the Soviet deep rear which would have been on the European side of the Urals, like the Volga and Urals Military District, and were then transferred westward.​
It mentions the Central Asian divisions right in the article:
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/the-siberian-divisions-and-the-battle-for-moscow-in-1941-42/
For the purposes of this discussion, territory in the ‘western’ USSR is defined as west of a line running north/south, 100km west of the Urals. Therefore the following military districts and non-active fronts are included as being east of this line,

• The Urals Military District.
  • The Siberia Military District.
  • The Central Asia Military District.
  • The Transbailkal Military District.
  • The Far Eastern Front.
An individual examination of the history of each Red Army division that existed on 22nd June 1941 reveals that from 23rd June to 31st December 1941, a total of 28 divisions were transferred west. This included 18 rifle divisions, one mountain rifle division, three tank divisions, three mechanised divisions and three mountain cavalry divisions. The transfers occurred mainly in June (11 divisions) and October (nine divisions).

In the subsection of the article that talks about the transfers from August to October it lists the 14 divisions transferred of which most were actually Siberian, but does mention at least 1 Central Asian rifle division, the 238th Rifles, which appeared in October with the 49th Army of the Western Front, and 2 Central Asian cavalry divisions showing up in November at Kalinin.

Of these 14 divisions, two were small mountain cavalry divisions from Central Asia, while the three tank and mechanised divisions were very new and had very little (if anything) to do with Siberian personnel. The 58th and 60th tank divisions had only started forming in March-April 1941.

Then the article talks about all those formed during the war:
So the question is; who stopped the Germans in December 1941 if it couldn’t possibly have been hordes of newly arrived Siberian or East Front troops? The answer is a massive number of newly mobilised and deployed divisions and brigades. The Soviet land model shows that 182 rifle divisions, 43 militia rifle divisions, eight tank divisions, three mechanised divisions, 62 tank brigades, 50 cavalry divisions, 55 rifle brigades, 21 naval rifle brigades, 11 naval infantry brigades, 41 armies, 11 fronts and a multitude of other units were newly Mobilised and Deployed (MD) in the second half of 1941. If Mobilized and Not Deployed (MND) units are included then this list is considerably higher.(2) Even if the few Siberian divisions exhibited a higher than average combat proficiency in the winter of 1941/42, their contribution was almost insignificant compared to the mass of newly mobilised units. There is no doubt that the 1941 Soviet mobilisation programme was simply the largest and fastest wartime mobilisation in history. The multitude of average Soviet soldiers from all over the USSR that made up these units saved the day, and definitely not the existing units transferred west after June 1941, or the mostly non-existent and mythical Siberian divisions.

The list is those forces which arrived at Moscow between October 7th began and November 4th. In terms of which ones and from where they were brought in...

Rifle Divisions:
32nd (Volkhov Front)
238th (Central Asia MD)
332nd (Moscow MD)
413th (Far East)
327th (Orel MD)
316th (Central Asia)
93rd (Far East MD)
329th (Orel MD)
185th (???)
78th (Far East MD)
262nd (Moscow MD)
359th (Urals MD)
375th (Urals MD)
371st (Urals MD)
1st Guards Motorized (Southwestern Front)
82nd Motorized (Far East MD)
Ivanovo Militia (self-evident)
2nd Moscow Militia (self-evident)
3rd Moscow Militia (self-evident)
4th Moscow Militia (self-evident)
5th Moscow Militia (self-evident)
Yaroslavl Militia (self-evident)

Cavalry:
24th (Transcaucasus MD)
17th Mountain (Transcaucasus MD)
18th Mountain (Central Asia MD)
20th Mountain (Central Asia MD)
44th Mountain (???)

The last one listed is the 58th Tank Divisions (one of the last such divisions left in the Red Army) which came from the Far Eastern MD. As can be seen from above, of the 27 divisions used to reinforce Moscow during October, 2 I am still uncertain as where they came from, 2 were transferred in from other parts of the frontlines (a feat even more difficult then in shipping in from the deep rear), 8 came from the Moscow Military District, 2 came from an adjacent "frontline" military district (the Orel District), and the remaining 13 came from military districts within the Soviets deep rear.
How about when they arrived? October 7th-November 4th is a LONG time period. Not only that, but all these newly formed units wouldn't be there in August to save Moscow.

Also you're engaging in some padding the numbers. The Moscow militia divisions weren't brought in after October, they were already formed an in the defensive line as of September 1941!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Rifle_Division_(Soviet_Union)#2nd_Formation
Formed from the 2nd Moscow Militia Division on 26 September 1941, the second formation served in the 32nd Army. The division received new equipment to supplement the equipment issued by the Moscow Militia. With the start of the German offensive against the Western Front at the end of September the division was forced into combat before it was fully brought up to strength. By 10 October 1941 the division had been driven into the 19th Army's and was encircled and destroyed by the Germans in the Vyazma pocket in October 1941.

The same with all the Moscow militia divisions. I can't even find reference to the Yaroslavl militia division either.

The Ivanovo Militia division was formed in August, showed up around Moscow in October, but only entered combat in December:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/332nd_Rifle_Division_(Soviet_Union)
The 332nd Rifle Division was formed in August, 1941, as a standard Red Army rifle division, based on a militia division that had started forming about two weeks earlier; as a result it was known throughout the war as a "volunteer" division and carried the name "Ivanovo" after its place of formation.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/332-я_стрелковая_дивизия
On October 10, 1941, following the order of the Moscow Military District, the division plunged into echelons and departed to the place of defense of the nearest southwestern approaches of Moscow; by the end of October 24, it took the line of defense of Krasnoye, Chertanovo , Tsaritsyno , Broshlyo.

On November 7, 1941, the division was honored to participate in a historical parade on Red Square in Moscow.

November 11 is included in the emerging 10th Army.

Participation in hostilities
As part of the 10th Army participated in the Soviet counteroffensive near Moscow. On December 6, the division launched an offensive from the area of Zaraisk to Silver Ponds, which were released the next day, December 7.
From the Russian language article on the November 7th parade it looks like they were also removed from combat several days in advanced to drill for it and prior they were allocated to a zone that didn't see combat IOTL.

Some divisions also only showed up in December 1941 like the 371st Rifles:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/371st_Rifle_Division_(Soviet_Union)#Battle_of_Moscow
On November 29 it was reassigned to 30th Army in Western Front, arriving under those commands with no antitank battalion and with a signal company so short of training and equipment that it could not manage to advise Army headquarters of its arrival until December 1.[2]

Disembarkation of the 371st, at Savelovo station, took place from December 2-5, after which it was concentrated in its designated area behind the Army's front. The 348th and 379th Rifle Divisions were also reinforcing 30th Army at this time.

375th Rifles also only appeared arrived at the front in late December:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/375th_Rifle_Division_(Soviet_Union)#Formation
Maj. Gen. Vasilii Grigorevich Vorontsov was assigned to command of the division on September 1, and he would remain in this post until February 27, 1942. The division was briefly assigned to the 28th Reserve Army in November, but when it arrived at the front in late December it came under command of the 29th Army in Kalinin Front.[3]

Which in no way contradicts my point: many of the divisions had enough survivors among the fragments you reference to be rapidly reconstituted by using them as cadres around which the divisions were built and put back into battle to stop the Germans. This would still happen IATL.
Except the core of these armies weren't the reconstituted fragments of divisions, especially in October, it was the fresh pre-war divisions that were brought in at the last second coupled with the weather that enhanced their defensive abilities, as their attackers were limited to highway movement along previously fortified defensive zones. As of October their combat abilities were limited, things got better in November and beyond as they had time to get more reinforcements, replacement equipment, and 'gel' as new units.

The divisions I'm talking about were all ones which had yet been assigned to a parent formation. None of those divisions were assigned to the Reserve Front in August, although many were assigned to the Reserve and Western Fronts in September, as were all of the tank brigades.
Which divisions?

Are you sure? Because listening to it I hear him discuss the industrial evacuations and mainly focuses on the question of how much of it was directed centrally and how much was improvised from below... but at no point does he state that the industrial evacuations undermined the reinforcement of the frontline and the shuttling in of reserves or even mentions the latter in relation to the former.
His talking about the jumbled mess of the evacuation, thousands of rail cars jammed up at rail junctions, and improvisation being required due to how poorly planned everything was in practice is the take away. The official narrative did not really fit the reality on the ground when he looked at local records of what was going on. Coupled with the article, which supported what he said with additional info including about the theoretical idea that the evacuations weren't supposed to interfere with military operations, didn't really play out in reality. Things were better by winter as the evacuations were wrapping up, but it tied up a large amount of rolling stock and rail lines.

Total nonsense. Stahel cites no less then 33 sources during the course of that section, many of them about that interpretation and from literature and records from people who were there. Additionally, I noticed you terminated your selection at a highly specific point because from the very next paragraph:
I didn't include that because it was the section of his interpretation that wasn't really backed up and contrasted everything else he was quoting from first person accounts.
He was trying to explain away what the Russian observers were saying.
The first citation is tertiary literature: Bellamy's "Absolute War".
The next is a book called "Marshall Zhukov's Greatest Battles".
The next was Erickson's "Road to Stalingrad" with the interesting footnote:
As John Erickson noted: ‘Too much was often heaped on the populace: civilians were to man the militia, yet keep production going; train in reserve formations, run the administration, yet fulfil a host of paramilitary duties.The women, the youth and the aged had by their extreme exertions to plug gaps left by the failure to plan and failure to forecast. “Popular response” thus became one of the highest priorities of the regime; its counterpart was a direct, and often dramatic relationship between the populace and the “the authorities”, when the latter failed to do their job. The Moscow panic was a prime example of this; the contract of obedience was broken when “the authorities” failed to provide [a] minimum assurance of security’ (Erickson, The Road to Stalingrad, p. 231).

So yes the Soviet regime badly mismanaged the situation as they would here as well, but instead of being bogged down in the mud and stopped by the weather with some help from the 32nd rifles, in August or ever early September there wouldn't be those decisive factors a stop to the German advance.

There are twice as many citations above as in the section you quoted and paging through they seem to be largely the same kind: mostly other detailed academic studies with the occasional personal eyewitness record thrown in.
Number of citations is less important than what the citations are. The citations he uses to support that interpretation of why the panic happened was the result of mismanagement (as if that wouldn't be a problem ITTL) all come from tertiary literature, i.e. other historians opinions of why things happened rather than either first or second person accounts of what happened.

170 kilometers of defenses were completed according to your quote. That's more then enough to guard the western approaches to Moscow.
Read again:
It was planned to perform fortification and construction works of the first phase by October 10–25, 1941, and to complete the construction of the Moscow Mozhaisk line of defense on November 15–25 [27] . Sometimes divisions of the national militia were involved in building fortifications , which were supposed to defend these lines, but “due to the difficult situation at the front” they were often thrown to the front line, where they were poorly trained and poorly armed, they quickly disappeared under powerful blows of the enemy [28] .

By the beginning of October 1941 the construction of the line was not completed, the equipment was completed only by 40%. A total of 296 pillboxes , 535 DZOT , 170 km were built. anti-tank ditches and 95 km. escarpes [26] . Most of the bunkers were without hatches, armored shields and doors. As a rule, there was no camouflage and ventilation, electricity was far from everywhere, and there were no surveillance devices [32] .

AKA they were barely adequate as of mid-October IOTL and ITTL as of mid/late August they'd really not be ready whatsoever. The October mileage of defenses is not the August or even September mileage of defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vyazma pocket isn't part of the advance on Moscow, it is a separate close in operation to open the path to Moscow.

So the encirclement of Vitebsk in 1944 wasn't really part of Operation Bagration to open the path to Minsk, one would have to imagine.

Deleted member 1487

So the encirclement of Vitebsk in 1944 wasn't really part of Operation Bagration to open the path to Minsk, one would have to imagine.
You're wildly misconstruing what I was saying. Vyazma was part of Typhoon, but it was something separate from the exploitation to Moscow. Similarly in your example of Bagration the encirclement at Vitebsk was a separate operation from the exploitation phase/elements; it was even more clearly delineated than Vyazma during Typhoon, as separate armies were tasked with and tailor equipped for the encirclement and reduction of the pockets from the exploitation element, which largely was not supposed to take part in the break-in/close encirclement operation and instead focus on the advance on the deep objective of Minsk. Typhoon IOTL did have some of that delineation of effort, but there was some element of units taking part in both; ITTL, one with the August offensive against Moscow, there would be a bit of a different separation of effort, though elements of the encirclement forces would also exploit toward Moscow, though the bulk would stay behind to free up supplies for the exploitation elements and to cover the flanks/deal with forces outside the pockets.

So here's how the question:
"What if Moscow has already fallen?"
gets answered with:
"Here's how Moscow could fall",
...and in the usual way, with the old Stolfi hypothesis, by the usual old suspects.

Deleted member 1487

So here's how the question:
"What if Moscow has already fallen?"
gets answered with:
"Here's how Moscow could fall",
...and in the usual way, with the old Stolfi hypothesis, by the usual old suspects.
It would help if you'd tag someone you're talking about. If you want an answer to what happens after Moscow falls you do need to know how it happens to have a reasonable response to what could happen next. What's so hard to understand about that? And if it bothers you that much don't engage with that part of the discussion.

Deleted member 1487

What´s that?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806125810/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2
He's a marine corps reserve officer who taught at the US naval college and wrote a book about how Barbarossa could have succeeded had Hitler not diverted his armies to Kiev and Leningrad in August 1941 and continued on to Moscow. There is a lot of debate about the thesis, well before he even wrote the book, but he adds a fair bit of analysis, though is section on the logistics of the 'what if' is pretty weak. It's come up a few times previous on this forum, including a couple thread I started on the topic.