Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Just needs one officer to mess up operating the toilet to sink a German submarine.
Even better:
"How do you sink a East Frisian submarine? Knock, someone will open the door..."
Wie versenkt man ein ostfriesisches U-Boot? – Einfach anklopfen! Irgendeiner wird schon aufmachen.

Runs away from all the Frisian hate...

Part 71, Chapter 1034
Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Four

14th September 1953

Berlin

The class met in a dance studio today and Natsumi was introduced to them as Mistress Maeda and told that they were to give her their upmost respect. Gräfin Katherine had warned her that they were spirited and would have a lot of questions. That was hardly a surprise. The student body of this gymnasia composed of young women who much was expected from, far beyond being wives and mothers. The Gräfin had also said that these were the daughters of Generals, Captains of Industry and one of them was even the eldest daughter of the German Emperor. There were also children from middle- and working-class backgrounds which was in keeping with the progressive mission of the school. That they had a Gräfin and a Grand Duchess of Russia as instructors spoke volumes about how that worked in practice. They were being given examples to aspire to.

To assist her today was friend of the Gräfin’s who had volunteered for this, Matthias Schmied. The Gräfin had said that he was a Jäger, an elite soldier and hunter. While he was not a large man, he was still perfect for what Natsumi had in mind. These girls would need to learn while size and strength were something they needed to be aware of constantly, it could be overcome.

“While we will have time for questions later” Natsumi said, “But first I would like for there to be a practical demonstration.”

With that she snapped her favorite fan open, white lacquered with “Good Fortune” painted on it in Japanese. Natsumi enjoyed subtle jokes. There was a bit of tittering around the class, they saw a middle-aged woman with a fan. They were about to learn that looks could be deceiving as she snapped the fan shut. Then Matthias gave her a slight nod letting her know that he was ready. He threw a hard punch aimed at Natsumi’s face only to have it deflected by the fan only to recoil when he had taken a blow to the face that he had not seen coming. Natsumi then snapped the fan shut and went on the offensive with the fan using it like a club being careful not to hurt the Jäger but he still ended up on the floor.

“Looks can be deceiving” Natsumi said.

The girls were all staring at her with awestruck looks on their faces. She had them for now, the rest would depend on their ability to learn.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kat watched the lesson from the back, she saw the surprised look on Matthias’ face when he was helped back to his feet. She had warned him not to underestimate Natsumi.

All of this was a good distraction from what had been happening in her life. Douglas and Gia had come up with an idea that could prove to be a bit of a disaster in the making. If Tempelhof was to be sold off and redeveloped, then the potential windfall was vast. At the same time, the State would be selling the land at market prices reflected by the rest of Berlin. Real-estate prices in the city had been depressed by first the war and then recession. It had never completely rebounded, something that was expected to change in the coming years. Tempelhof was an excellent opportunity for those with means and vision. Kat’s feeling was that they were not supposed to be acting like they had money and if it didn’t pan out they could get stuck with the sort of loss that even they would feel.

At the same time, Doug had said that she could steer the direction of development in that part of the city. Leave a lasting mark for all time and with her and Gia’s personal connections they could get the land the instant it went on the market. It was tempting.

Washington D.C.

Franklin Roosevelt found the whole thing amusing. He said that the young woman who had knocked on his door had been a representative of the German Kaiserin, as opposed to an Agent of German Government. Truman had pointed out that the FBI and CIA had several encounters with such women over the years and they didn’t always go so well. Then the Secret Service had reported that young woman had slipped off the handcuffs while talking to the former President and that she had given him the equivalent of several million dollars for a charity that he was running in his retirement. The FBI was not happy that Roosevelt had ordered the woman to be let go leaving them with just a name, Asia Lawniczak. Even that name was a bit of a surprise, a German Pole working directly for the Kaiserin. The CIA had thought that the Poles were not happy with their position within the German Empire, but as they had discovered that the Poles were hardly monolithic. Nor were the Germans themselves for that matter. The demographics were a crazy quilt of intermixed ethnicities and religions.

Then there were the German War bonds that Roosevelt had taken. Cursed things, they had matured in recent months and the people who held them were receiving the payout guaranteed by the German State. In the midst of the Kraut scare, there were people receiving money as a reward for their support for Germany a decade earlier. It was one more volatile ingredient in a situation that didn’t need any more of those. Roosevelt had said that the money was going to the best cause imaginable and he knew why the Kaiserin had been unable to give them openly. For Truman it had felt like Roosevelt had been subtly scolding him. During the Roosevelt Administration domestic priorities had dominated and he had gone out of his way to maintain good relations internationally. While he had said nothing publicly, Truman had been hearing talk that Roosevelt thought that he had been going about things the wrong way.

Last edited:
IOTL Princess Suga received a Western style education, I would think that having her come to Germany as a guest of the Imperial Family for a year as an exchange student followed by Princess Katherine going to Japan the next year with couple of her friends would cement the relationship of both Imperial Houses, having the Crown Prince spend a summer in Japan could also be a possibility.

I think that Truman needs to start to confront those who are perpetuating the Kraut Scare and get back to fixing the real reasons for the problems that the United States has.
He is running out of time to get things done and his Vice President is probably chomping at the bit to create a legacy for himself.

The government really needs to bring someone back who knows what is going on in Germany and has contacts with the highest echelons in the German society and business worlds.

At the same time, Doug had said that she could steer the direction of development in that part of the city. Leave a lasting mark for all time and with her and Gia’s personal connections they could get the land the instant it went on the market. It was tempting.

I'm trying to think of things that would be nice/useful/necessary to have, but I'm not too good at that. I don't know if others have any ideas? Would she want another working class neighborhood? Or would she go for something else?

I'm trying to think of things that would be nice/useful/necessary to have, but I'm not too good at that. I don't know if others have any ideas? Would she want another working class neighborhood? Or would she go for something else?

Working Class neighbourhood with proper parks and amenities would be my vote, would fit her character.

A memorial park to the victims of the Reichstag bombing, or any number of other causes that could gain one, would be something I could see her being "pushed" in to doing.

Then again, the government of Berlin might yet decide to just nab the land, and use it for a venue for the World's Fair/Art Installation. I'd imagine that Germany has one coming up.

Race track & sports complex, but that's just me.

Race track & sports complex, but that's just me.
With a sports complex, do you mean like a (football) stadium or more like a track & field complex?

Working Class neighbourhood with proper parks and amenities would be my vote, would fit her character.

A memorial park to the victims of the Reichstag bombing, or any number of other causes that could gain one, would be something I could see her being "pushed" in to doing.

Then again, the government of Berlin might yet decide to just nab the land, and use it for a venue for the World's Fair/Art Installation. I'd imagine that Germany has one coming up.
Both are good ideas, but just a memorial park might not even fit the entire area. It would be a huge park if it were to fill the entire Tempelhof area.

And as for the government nabbing it, that is entirely possible. If they want something they will get it.

Why not a huge adventure jungle gym that could do double duty as the most fun confidence course ever? Nothing better than training the young gernaration early, even better if they have fu doing it?

Add some climbing walls and a paintball arena disguised as a park, and for afterwards a spa with attached pub. Wholesome fun for the whole family.

With a sports complex, do you mean like a (football) stadium or more like a track & field complex?.
For Kat, a racetrack to take fast cars out on.
Why not a huge adventure jungle gym that could do double duty as the most fun confidence course ever? Nothing better than training the young gernaration early, even better if they have fu doing it?

Add some climbing walls and a paintball arena disguised as a park, and for afterwards a spa with attached pub. Wholesome fun for the whole family.
Auto racing track incorporating some of the runways and taxiways, a football stadium, and a family adventure park could all be fit in.

It's already hooked up to the U-Bahn and S-Bahn IOTL, so this location could be a boon for that.

First set aside land for schools and churches, second make it mixed income neighborhoods with various densities, from single family homes to row houses to apartment complexes, third have commercial and retail areas mixed in and interconnected with the residential areas, fourth make it walkable with different mass transit systems integrated with each other to provide the most options available, fifth parks and greenbelts connecting each area with other areas, sixth a 35,000 seat football stadium for BSC Hertha named the Hans Michener Pre Memorial Field, a track and field stadium that seats about 10,000 that can be expanded if necessary and an indoor sports arena for hockey, basketball, and the sport that I swear that came from a blind person description of how basketball is played: Team Handball.
Make it so that there are different architectural styles and the buildings are at different heights so that there is varieties between the areas and there should be a small town feel in a couple of the areas.
Or you can go with my second idea: EuroDisneyland.

I recently heard that the "Bond Girl" OTL may have been based on Flemming's lover, Muriel Wright, who died in an air raid in 1944 - which wouldn't have happened here.

The landing-strips could be used for drag-races. Would be something that Kat would enjoy I think. For the rest a green neighborhood would be nice. I think this Berlin could use some of that.
In OTL West-Berlin retained as much of its blue and green areas as it could due to being isolated for much of the Cold War. Here there's been no reason for that and the city will have
kept expanding.

In OTL West-Berlin retained as much of its blue and green areas as it could due to being isolated for much of the Cold War. Here there's been no reason for that and the city will have
kept expanding.

It is an interesting discussion to have. ITTL there were portions of the city were effected by bombing in WW2 but nowhere near the extent of OTL and the postwar recession also had a devastating impact, property being "underwater" is nothing new. At the same time the city wasn't partitioned. In the western part of the city geography is a limiting factor, namely the Havel river and who would own most of the land on the other side. In some parts of the city the efforts to preserve the green spaces and neighborhood character predate the point of departure. There is also the factor of Berlin being a City-State within a larger State, one that might not be thrilled with development spilling across the State lines.

Last edited:
A few thoughts about Tempelhof:

The flight line, aircraft parking and hangars are likely to be contaminated with leaded AVGAS, jet fuel, hydraulic fluid and industrial solvents. This may present a problem later when such things become a concern.

If Tempelhof has ever been bombed or shelled there's the probability of unexploded ordnance.

As a pilot I'm usually saddened when an operating airport gets shut down and 'redeveloped' (pillaged for the benefit of the people with enough money to buy the city council and create Astroturf groups of 'concerned citizens').

From the Wiki IOTL Tepelhof was a grass field until it got paved during the Berlin Airlift . I think it's entirely probable that it wound up being paved at some point ITTL.

How's the state of private aviation ITTL? I can easily see TPTB leaving one runway and lining a taxiway with homes with attached hangars for private airplanes. I can also see flight training, gliders and crazies doing things with parachutes.

References:

Denver's original Stapleton Airport Which IMHO got shut down mainly because it represented a windfall for developers. They created Astroturf groups who whined, bitched and complained about the airport noise and congestion after moving into the neighborhood.

Denver's Lowry AFB which got shut down because it wasn't needed by the Air Force. Along with the other pollution they found stuff like buried chunks of asbestos and 20-pound (?) practice bombs.

Part 71, Chapter 1035
Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Five

18th September 1953

Berlin

“Four hundred hectares near the center of the city up for grabs” Doug said as he opened the door to the nursery with his toe, with as big as Malcolm was getting he didn’t have a free hand. “And you don’t want to talk about it?”

They had given Eha the night off, so putting the twins to bed had fallen to them completely tonight.

“It’s not just up for grabs, it is just going to be for sale” Kat replied as she carried Tatiana up the stairs. They had been watching television and letting Tatiana and Malcolm play until they fell asleep. It occurred to Kat that they had fallen into boring routine and that he was looking to generate some excitement. “There are also the ethical questions, we would have to use my connections to be first in line to buy the land. We will probably have to bribe a few people along way as well.”

“Just how do think that family fortunes are made?” Doug asked, “You have a problem with ethical grey areas, yet do I need to point out that your Patroness married into the House of Hohenzollern. Do I need to tell you where their money came from?”

“I am not ignorant of history” Kat replied.

“In our case, we are not sacking cities or holding kings for ransom” Doug said, “We would be buying cheap and selling dear. Which is actually encouraged under the laws of this country.”

Kat gave Doug a dirty look.

“But what if this isn’t the only questionable thing we do like this?” Kat asked, “What if it makes it easier next time?”

“You are not Otto or Urban” Doug said as he set Malcolm into the crib, “you have conscience.”

“Not as much as I might like” Kat replied, “Is this how my father became who he became? One compromise, then another and another, until he was a monster?”

“Perhaps” Doug answered, “But he was selfish in a way that you’ve never been.”

Kat didn’t respond to that, instead she carefully put Tatiana next to Malcolm. They had a tried to have them sleep separately a few times and that had simply not worked. Finally, she said, “You and Gia need to let this go” She said.

“We will regret it if we don’t do this.”

“I think that we will regret it if we do” Kat said, “There is far more to life than money.”

“There is more to this than just money” Doug said, “It is an opportunity to change the city you live in for the better.”

Kat felt her stomach churn. She knew that Doug and Gia were going to wear her down and Tempelhof wasn’t scheduled to be closed until the end of the year, so they had time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“You two don’t need to laugh at me” Kiki said.

“We were laughing at what was on the news” Aurora replied, as if that made it better.

It was the evening news report that they were watching while waiting for the variety show to come on. It had featured a story about the Emperor and Empress attending the grand opening of a wing of the Neues Museum the night before. Kiki had been dragged along with them and the entire way to the Museum she had Freddy and Mikey poking fun at her, telling her that the formal dress she was wearing clearly hadn’t been designed with a skinny little whippet in mind. Then once they had gotten there Kiki had been required to be social when she really wanted to explore the new wing. Eventually, she had grown tired and just wanted to go home. Naturally the instant she sat down in an out of the way corner the camera crew had happened along. The news report had featured her staring banefully at the camera and they had turned it into a big joke. Unfortunately, it was perfectly in keeping with what her mother had been complaining about a lot lately. Kiki was getting a reputation as a dour, studious girl with a dislike of the press.

Mercifully, the next story came on. This one featured an absurd interview with a woman representing a far-right political party who was arguing that women should not have prominent roles in society. “Yet, there is Eva Braun on television hogging the limelight” Zella said, “My mother says that no matter what I do with life to make sure that I’m not a hypocrite.”

“If not becoming like that is the goal then that’s a low bar to get over” Aurora said, “Besides that, behind closed doors she a complete and total anti-Semite, along with the rest of her party. They just trot her out as a human mask that they can wear between elections.”

Both Kiki and Zella were a bit surprised by Aurora’s reaction. They knew what her religious background was and even though both her parents were famously secular it was a part of who she was. They could hear the disgust in Aurora’s voice when she said that.

Then the interview was over, and the weather report came on. Overcast and rainy in the morning and clearing in the afternoon, Kiki could have told them that by looking out the window.

Finally, the variety show that they were waiting for came on and much to Kiki’s annoyance it was the dancing poodle act again first thing. “My father says that men like owner of those dogs must have photographs of the producers with a goat” Zella said.

“I doubt that” Kiki said, “Lady von Wolvogle is the producer of this show and she doesn’t have a thing for goats and she told my mother that…”

“She told your mother what?” Aurora asked.

Kiki felt her cheeks burning up as the thought intruded.

“Let’s just say she bragged to my mother at a meeting of the hundred that her husband, Oberstlieutenant Knispel…” Kiki said wishing she had a rock to crawl under, “He knows how to make her very happy.”

Zella and Aurora both started laughing, but there was a nervous undertone. It was something that they had been trying to wrap their heads around without much success as yet.

Then the poodles left the stage, “Good riddance” Zella muttered.

What followed was a man juggling running chainsaws, that was a lot more interesting. “My cousin lefty used to do that” Zella said, which they found genuinely funny.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but I find Kat’s hand wringing at times hard to bear. She could easily put conditions on her participation. How about a fully staffed women’s shelter and healthcare facility. Free schools for the bright but disadvantaged the list goes on. Perhaps the order could get involved as a work for the common weal (Possibly not due to claims of corruption).

Last edited: