Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 71, Chapter 1035
  • Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Five

18th September 1953

Berlin

“Four hundred hectares near the center of the city up for grabs” Doug said as he opened the door to the nursery with his toe, with as big as Malcolm was getting he didn’t have a free hand. “And you don’t want to talk about it?”

They had given Eha the night off, so putting the twins to bed had fallen to them completely tonight.

“It’s not just up for grabs, it is just going to be for sale” Kat replied as she carried Tatiana up the stairs. They had been watching television and letting Tatiana and Malcolm play until they fell asleep. It occurred to Kat that they had fallen into boring routine and that he was looking to generate some excitement. “There are also the ethical questions, we would have to use my connections to be first in line to buy the land. We will probably have to bribe a few people along way as well.”

“Just how do think that family fortunes are made?” Doug asked, “You have a problem with ethical grey areas, yet do I need to point out that your Patroness married into the House of Hohenzollern. Do I need to tell you where their money came from?”

“I am not ignorant of history” Kat replied.

“In our case, we are not sacking cities or holding kings for ransom” Doug said, “We would be buying cheap and selling dear. Which is actually encouraged under the laws of this country.”

Kat gave Doug a dirty look.

“But what if this isn’t the only questionable thing we do like this?” Kat asked, “What if it makes it easier next time?”

“You are not Otto or Urban” Doug said as he set Malcolm into the crib, “you have conscience.”

“Not as much as I might like” Kat replied, “Is this how my father became who he became? One compromise, then another and another, until he was a monster?”

“Perhaps” Doug answered, “But he was selfish in a way that you’ve never been.”

Kat didn’t respond to that, instead she carefully put Tatiana next to Malcolm. They had a tried to have them sleep separately a few times and that had simply not worked. Finally, she said, “You and Gia need to let this go” She said.

“We will regret it if we don’t do this.”

“I think that we will regret it if we do” Kat said, “There is far more to life than money.”

“There is more to this than just money” Doug said, “It is an opportunity to change the city you live in for the better.”

Kat felt her stomach churn. She knew that Doug and Gia were going to wear her down and Tempelhof wasn’t scheduled to be closed until the end of the year, so they had time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“You two don’t need to laugh at me” Kiki said.

“We were laughing at what was on the news” Aurora replied, as if that made it better.

It was the evening news report that they were watching while waiting for the variety show to come on. It had featured a story about the Emperor and Empress attending the grand opening of a wing of the Neues Museum the night before. Kiki had been dragged along with them and the entire way to the Museum she had Freddy and Mikey poking fun at her, telling her that the formal dress she was wearing clearly hadn’t been designed with a skinny little whippet in mind. Then once they had gotten there Kiki had been required to be social when she really wanted to explore the new wing. Eventually, she had grown tired and just wanted to go home. Naturally the instant she sat down in an out of the way corner the camera crew had happened along. The news report had featured her staring banefully at the camera and they had turned it into a big joke. Unfortunately, it was perfectly in keeping with what her mother had been complaining about a lot lately. Kiki was getting a reputation as a dour, studious girl with a dislike of the press.

Mercifully, the next story came on. This one featured an absurd interview with a woman representing a far-right political party who was arguing that women should not have prominent roles in society. “Yet, there is Eva Braun on television hogging the limelight” Zella said, “My mother says that no matter what I do with life to make sure that I’m not a hypocrite.”

“If not becoming like that is the goal then that’s a low bar to get over” Aurora said, “Besides that, behind closed doors she a complete and total anti-Semite, along with the rest of her party. They just trot her out as a human mask that they can wear between elections.”

Both Kiki and Zella were a bit surprised by Aurora’s reaction. They knew what her religious background was and even though both her parents were famously secular it was a part of who she was. They could hear the disgust in Aurora’s voice when she said that.

Then the interview was over, and the weather report came on. Overcast and rainy in the morning and clearing in the afternoon, Kiki could have told them that by looking out the window.

Finally, the variety show that they were waiting for came on and much to Kiki’s annoyance it was the dancing poodle act again first thing. “My father says that men like owner of those dogs must have photographs of the producers with a goat” Zella said.

“I doubt that” Kiki said, “Lady von Wolvogle is the producer of this show and she doesn’t have a thing for goats and she told my mother that…”

“She told your mother what?” Aurora asked.

Kiki felt her cheeks burning up as the thought intruded.

“Let’s just say she bragged to my mother at a meeting of the hundred that her husband, Oberstlieutenant Knispel…” Kiki said wishing she had a rock to crawl under, “He knows how to make her very happy.”

Zella and Aurora both started laughing, but there was a nervous undertone. It was something that they had been trying to wrap their heads around without much success as yet.

Then the poodles left the stage, “Good riddance” Zella muttered.

What followed was a man juggling running chainsaws, that was a lot more interesting. “My cousin lefty used to do that” Zella said, which they found genuinely funny.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1036
  • Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Six

26th September 1953

Judenbach, Thuringia

The recoil pulse drove the rifle back into Kat’s shoulder as she fired the last few cartridges from the magazine. Making sure to keep it pointed down range she ejected the magazine and locked the bolt open. If only everything in her life was as simple as this, except for one maddening aspect.

“It took you this long to requalify with as marksman, er… markswoman?” Matthias said awkwardly as Kat was removing the earplugs from her ears, “With a K44, that is.”

“I don’t want to hear it Mitya” Kat replied in Russian, “I’ve always preferred a machine pistol for when I really wanted to see someone dead.”

When she had found that switching languages was preferred when she felt pensive and didn’t want to be bothered. Judenbach was the perfect place for that because hearing people speaking different languages on account of immersion ahead of various operations was normal.

“Or a knife” Matthias answered in English, “Decided that putting some distance between you and the target was a good idea?”

“No, I just felt like shooting something” Kat said in Québécois French.

“Now, that was cheating” Mattias said in the Swabian dialect he had grown up speaking, “I doubt that we are ever going to war with the French Canadians.”

“Like if we would be going to war with Württemberg?” Kat asked in reply.

“If you Berliners keep being assholes when it comes to football then it could happen.”

Kat laughed about that and she realized that it had been a long time since she had laughed about anything. “You sound like Hans” She said.

It was a reminder that there was an ongoing row over the establishment of a National football league. It all came down to money as these things tend to. The teams in bigger markets tended to have larger payrolls and they had been arguing over how to how to have an equitable league. What Matthias said was a reminder that there were people who took the game very seriously.

“As I said I just wanted shoot something” Kat said.

“Children being little pills?” Matthias asked.

“No more than usual” Kat replied, “It’s a problem with my husband and sister.”

Matthias looked at her quizzically. “Is he still breathing?” He asked.

“Not that sort of problem” Kat said while giving Matthias a look that would have frozen water. “Douglas and Gia want to invest in some property, Gia has the Romanov money and I have my own resources.”

“I see, what’s the problem then?”

“The whole thing depends on me being Gräfin Katherine” Kat said, “Potentially a lot of money being made, I just have to pull rank to get ahead of anyone else who might also be interested.”

Matthias thought about it for a few seconds.

“You were born into a system that didn’t give a shit if you lived or died until the moment that the Emperor awarded you that black eagle making you Freiherrin Katherine von Mischner” Matthias said, “And if you think that the competition in whatever deal is being cooked up would hesitate to exploit such an advantage then you are deluding yourself.”

“That is what everyone keeps telling me” Kat said, “That and there is a lot of good that I can do if I steer the project, but I fear that I’ll eventually become like my father if I go down that road.”

“You should be worried” Matthias said, “I’m one of the few people who has seen what happens when you are at your worst.”

“Then you understand?” Kat asked.

“Yes and no” Matthias replied.

“Some help you are” Kat said as she got up to return the rifle to the armory.

Berlin

The overhead-valve engine was more complex than the earlier side-valve model. Not being familiar with American motorcycles, Emil had been unaware of that when he had bought it. While it was a less complex design than the BMW engines he had worked on for years, rebuilding it had proven difficult.

“There are two problems here” Emil said, “Know what they are?”

“That you are still playing with toys, Poppa” Zella said sweetly, “I’ve no idea what the second thing might be.”

“Been talking with your mother again?” Emil asked.

Zella just smirked. Smart ass, Emil thought to himself.

“The problems are that the negligent previous owner let it sit for a long time which is why this engine needs to be rebuilt” Emil said, “The other problem is that parts have to come all the way from the United States.”

Zella just shrugged and went back to her drawing.

The rules were simple enough, she didn’t have to help him, but he liked her to be present when he worked. As he flipped through the pages of the manual he looked at the next series of actions.

“This is more than just working on a motorcycle or playing with toys as you put it” Emil said, “Order of operations, planning and logistics.”

“Being a General?” Zella asked, “Even while doing that?”

“It is a hard thing to turn off” Emil replied, “It is however, easier than being around your Uncle Peter. He’s always a Doctor, looking for a diagnosis and it drives a lot of people up the wall especially your mother.”

“He has never done that with me” Zella said.

“It’s because I told him that unless it was an emergency then you probably wouldn’t want to hear it” Emil said, “I certainly don’t care to.”

Zella looked surprised by that.

“Don’t get me wrong” Emil said, “If you had a serious injury this minute, your uncle would be one of the best people in the world to have on hand. The rest of the time he is good man but hardly perfect.”

Zella was silent for a long moment as Emil continued to reassemble the motorcycle engine.

“Thank you” Zella said, and then she went back to her sketch pad.

Part 71, Chapter 1037
  • Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Seven

20th October 1953

Langeoog Island

It may have put Ilse’s teeth on edge, but she was here and it was the first time she had walked along the tideline in an extremely long time. Kat had encouraged her to do it all weekend, saying that if she took on her fears directly then they would no longer have control over her. It was a cold morning, just a small taste of the winter that was coming, and Ilse’s companion was rather insistent with his questions.

“Why?” Kol demanded as he held onto Ilse’s left hand.

It related to several questions that he had asked over the last several minutes.

“Because that is the color that is scattered by the atmosphere” Ilse replied.

Kol blinked for a few seconds and then said “No.”

Ilse laughed, she knew that Kol wasn’t telling her no because he disagreed. It was because he didn’t understand the answer.

“Because” Ilse said, with a smile.

“Because” Kol repeated back to her. That was an answer he understood.

With that they walked further down the beach, Kol was picking up sea shells and handing them to Ilse who was putting them in the pockets of her coat. An elderly woman came walking the opposite direction up the beach and Kol immediately hid behind Ilse.

The woman just chuckled when she saw that. “Your little boy is adorable” She said and then she kept walking.

That gave Ilse pause.

Later, after they returned to the house Kat found the whole thing amusing. “She doesn’t know you and it was an easy assumption to make” Kat said, “You are the right age and people can see the family resemblance between you and your nieces and nephews.”

“The right age for what?” Ilse asked.

“You are not an orphan anymore Ilse” Kat said, “You need to start thinking about the things you want in your life, and that doesn’t necessarily mean being alone. You do know that marriage and a family are still possibilities for you?”

Those were uncomfortable thoughts that had never occurred to Ilse until Kat had pointed that out to her.

Langley, Virginia

The Ford might not be able to take corners particularly well, but it would eat lesser cars for breakfast in the straightaways. In the rearview mirror Jonny could see the flashing red light of the police car fading in the distance as he looked to find a place to turn off the main road before the Police Officer’s friends got a chance to cut them off somewhere ahead on the turnpike. The existence of two-way radios wasn’t something that Jonny needed to be told about by his instructors.

The exercise was simple enough, complete a mission in real world circumstances with experienced Officers of the CIA hunting them and local law enforcement being a pain in the ass. The only rule was that there were no rules. There were however several unwritten rules that applied. Naturally, Jonny realized that the only way to win was rewrite those unwritten rules in his favor. His car, a shotgun loaded with rock salt and a case of beer on back seat and Parker, the man who Jonny had been partnered with, sitting terrified in the passenger seat.

“How fast are we going!” Parker yelled over the noise of the engine and radio.

“I have no idea” Jonny yelled back.

“What!” Parker yelled, that was not the answer he was expecting to hear.

“The needle on the speedometer stops at a hundred!”

Parker went white as a sheet.

For the thousandth time Jonny wondered what they were thinking when they had partnered him with Parker. He was an intellectual from Upstate New York who had never once held a gun in his hands until he had arrived in Langley. It had only been a week earlier that Jonny had passed the exam that had given him a General Education Development Diploma, also known as a Good Enough Degree, that his continued presence in the CIA training program was contingent on. He had been advised that pursuing further education would also be good for his career. Parker on the other hand had mentioned how he had gone Princeton.

Finally turning off the main road and then turning off the side road onto an unused gravel driveway Jonny parked the car shutting off the engine. As soon as they came to a stop Parker spilled out of the car and Jonny could hear him retching into the ditch.

“This is nothing compared to Mexico!” Jonny called to Parker who just whimpered.

Reaching across to the glove box Jonny pulled the small transistor radio out and a map. Turning on the radio and listening to the police band he could hear that the State Troopers were getting called out in force, this exercise had just gotten a lot more complicated.

“What is that?” Parker asked.

“Another piece of Kraut gear that we aren’t supposed to have” Jonny answered as he opened a can of beer and handed it to Parker.

“What the Hell is wrong with you?” Parker demanded. It was no secret that Parker thought that Jonny was insane. However, it wasn’t like Jonny made a secret of the fact that he thought that Parker was a snob.

“There’s nothing else to drink and do you want that taste in your mouth?” Jonny asked.

“Why are we pulling this John Dillinger crap anyway?” Parker asked, “Isn’t the point not to be seen?”

“The point is that it’s all about the misdirection” Jonny said, “While they are looking for the car we’ll be at the farm.”

“What are you talking about?” Parker asked.

Jonny didn’t respond. He had arranged his car to be stored in a barn for the next few days. Once they got to the barn it was only a walk of a few miles to the farm. He was going to wait until they got to the barn before he told Parker the plan, he didn’t want to listen to the complaining until he had to.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1038
  • Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Eight

26th November 1953

Berlin

It was clear that they didn’t have the first clue about what they were doing, but they had done it entirely for her so Nancy couldn’t help but feel touched. Apparently, Kat had talked Ernst Preis into giving her the day off and everyone had gathered for Thanksgiving Dinner at the house in Kreuzberg. The meal itself was a potluck with the dishes being what they thought they might be like the American version. Still, there was no pumpkin pie or turkey. There was a ham that had come from a wild boar that had been provided by Helene’s father and the remainder was an odd mixture of Russian and German dishes. Even if it was strange, it all looked and smelled wonderful. Having gone up to her room, Nancy was looking for a photograph of the house her grandfather was born in that she had been telling Maria about.

As Nancy walked down the stairs she overheard Kat say, “You did invite him, yes?” to Gia looked up at Nancy and Nancy thought she saw a look of guilt cross Gia’s face.

“Yes, I did” Gia replied before scurrying off.

Then Nancy thought she heard Kat mutter something about someone being a coward.

“What was that about?” Nancy asked.

“Nothing” Kat said, “Dinner will be ready soon.”

“Yes” Nancy said, “None of you had to do this for me.”

“No, Nancy” Kat said, “You told us how the holidays were just awful last year, this will be better.”

“Thank you” Nancy said, it was nice not to be alone.

Zella was listening as Nancy was talking to her mother about her trip up north to the Danish border region where her grandparents had come from. It didn’t seem too exciting. They were waiting on the finishing touches before starting the meal and Zella was waiting with everyone else. The younger children were running around the table, excited to be here even if they didn’t know why. Zella had understood though, they were here to celebrate an American holiday so that the Gräfin Katherine’s dear friend wouldn’t feel lonely. If anyone had asked Zella, she would have preferred a different Halloween, dress in a costume, play pranks and eat sweets. What wasn’t to like. Looking across the table, Zella saw Aurora was sticking a spoon to her nose, much to the amusement Helene’s son Manfred. He didn’t get the trick of a breath of air on the spoon was what made it stick, so his attempt to copy Aurora failed.

“You might want to stop that” Hans said to Aurora with no real heat behind it as he walked in from the kitchen, “You teach him how to that and he’ll have a spoon on his nose every chance he gets for the next several months.”

Zella was reminded of her own little brother and knew that there was probably a great deal of truth in what Hans had just said. The rest of the men were coming in from the back garden where they had all gathered for some reason.

“You are staying home for now?” Helene asked Gerta who was seated next to her at the table. Gerta had flown to the United States a couple different times in recent months to secure acts for the show she was producing.

“Yes, finally” Gerta replied, “It took a lot to get this act booked.”

“It seems like a lot to go through” Helene said, “For a singer from Tennessee.”

“Perhaps” Gerta said, “But he’s little more than a boy right now, but he might be big in a few years.”

“Isn’t it a bit dangerous right now to be traveling in the United States?” Helene asked.

“That is part of the reason why I am glad it’s done with” Gerta replied, “We got a lot of dirty looks at every place we stopped.”

With that they were finally able to start the meal. Nancy Jensen had a joyful look on her face as they started.

Ipswich, Massachusetts

Playing two hand touch football in the backyard was just as much a holiday tradition as the turkey that was baking in the oven. Not that Jason minded playing against his younger brothers. After years of moving between military posts the entire family had all remained in the Boston area for the last few years. Their father, Jason Senior, had retired from the Marine Corps after thirty years and had returned home to Ipswich. Jason had been planning on coming to Massachusetts anyway having been excepted into Boston University. Jason’s father had made it very clear to Jason and the rest of his brothers that he would kick the shit of them if they thought for an instant of doing anything other than going to college and excelling. He knew that if they dropped out the local draft board and the Marine Corps would come knocking.

Now to Jason’s astonishment he was getting ready to graduate with honors from BU and had been accepted into Harvard Law School. That was pretty good for a student who had read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn three times because he had to keep switching schools.

As they lined up on the scrimmage line, Jack and Bill faced off as Jason held the ball on the line. Eddy his youngest brother stood opposite him waiting for the “snap” to happen. Then Jason stepped back starting the play, and Eddy started counting aloud “One Mississippi… two Mississippi…” Jason knew that he had until Eddy reached ten and then he would be rushed.

Jack was running a buttonhook, but Bill was all over him. When Eddy reached nine Mississippi Jason threw the ball down field hoping that he was leading Jack. Even so he saw the ball fly past Jack’s outstretched hands right as Eddy ploughed into him.

Jason could hear Bill calling out “Incomplete… third down” as he pushed Eddy off of him.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1039
  • Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Nine

12th December 1953

Langley, Virginia

“I think you would only get yourself killed if you tried” Jonny said, “Or thrown into a very dark hole.”

“You have a better idea” Parker asked.

“No but trying to pretend you are anything other than you are is stupid and no one can go native” Jonny replied, “The most successful man that the Krauts have that we know of, this Colonel Schultz, personifies the stereotype of the beer swilling Bavarian promoting international sports, Soccer of all things. Yet he supposedly ran circles around the OSS and FBI for years.”

It was a lesson that they had all been given about how other nations conducted themselves. The Germans, French and British had all been active in the United States for years but seldom had their activities been found out. The exposure of Johann Schultz had revealed damage to American security that they were still trying to come to grips with. The idea that their nuclear program had been subverted to the extent that it had basically ceased to exist was one of those things. That information had leaked out in recent months, but the blame had been focused on foreign actors. If the public had taken the time to understand the reasons for what had happened they wouldn’t have been angry with a foreign government, they would have been angry with the so-called leadership in Washington. Then, most people weren’t as cynical as Jonny was. He understood that covering their asses was the real game of politicians and that most people found it easier to blame some foreign other. He knew better, having seen it play itself out in Mexico.

Now Jonny was waiting with the rest of the first graduating class of Farm for assignment, playing cards in the recreation room. Parker, who had passed largely because of Jonny dragging him over the finish line was here, much to Jonny’s annoyance. Tomorrow, Jonny was planning on flying home to California and not thinking about the CIA until he got back just after New Year’s Day.

“So, that is what you think?” Edger, one of the other college boys asked.

“That is what I know” Jonny said, “Save the disguises, cloak and dagger claptrap for the movies.”

“Until you need it” Parker said.

“Naturally” Jonny said, “All I care about is getting the job done and getting home in one piece.”

“That and fast cars” Edger said.

“And don’t forget the beautiful women” Jonny said, which had them laughing.

13th December 1953

Berlin

Coming to the open-air Christmas markets had become a tradition for the royal children. It had started with Freddy and Gia years earlier, these days that included Mikey and Kiki as well. Kiki wished that Zella and Aurora could have come today but Zella was in Jena helping her grandmother move and Aurora had said that she wasn’t interested.

“See anything you like Whippet?” Freddy asked.

“No” Kiki said. She wished that her brothers wouldn’t call her that. The air had an overwhelming smell of ginger and cinnamon. Kiki was looking at the baked goods in their boxes. The Baker was a huge man, about as wide as he was tall. He hid it, but Kiki knew that the vendors didn’t care for the interruption that resulted from their security. Freddy and Mikey seemed obvious of that. That was unless they bought something, then the vendors were happy for the free publicity. The baker was absolutely buoyant when she bought a dozen boxes of pepper cakes from him, Kiki figured that she would be able to give them away to her classmates that week. He insisted that Kiki take a pepper cake for herself and a paper cup of hot apple cider. As she followed her brothers nibbling on the pepper cake enjoying the taste of almonds and ginger and enjoying the warmth of the cider that was still hot enough to burn her tongue. She saw that Freddy had stopped in front of a stall that sold woolen scarves.

“Hey Whippet” Freddy said, “This is where I bought that scarf for you.”

Kiki blinked for a few seconds, her grey and white scarf, she’d had it forever and remembered that Freddy had given it too her years earlier. These days it was tattered and stained but she still wore it because it was her favorite.

Freddy bought a new scarf, with rich burgundy and forest green stripes. “This one will work too Kiki” He said as he handed it to Kiki only to see a flash of light as someone took a picture of the exchange. The woman who made the scarves was delighted to know that Kiki had been using something she had made for years.

“You’re supposed to wait for Christmas Eve for that” Gia said.

Freddy just shrugged, “I don’t see the point in waiting” He replied.

With that they kept walking. Outside the security cordon was the usual assortment of Journalists and Photographers. It was the sort of thing that made Kiki envy her friends who could lead normal lives.

As they walked back to the cars that would take them to the next market. Kiki found herself next to Gia, and she was starting to understand this woman who was a distant cousin. All Gia had ever wanted was an anonymous life and career. It was something that Gia had when the world had thought that she was dead. Is that really what it took?

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1040
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty

31st December 1953

Berlin

Kat could have gone out tonight, but she hadn’t felt up to it. Instead she was laying in her bed completely filled with self-loathing while she listened to the party that was going on downstairs. She had broken every promise she had made to herself in recent days. At eight O’clock, on the morning of the first of January a Lockheed Constellation cargo plane flown by Air France would be the last scheduled flight to depart Tempelhof Airfield. A few hours later, at noon local time the land that Tempelhof had sat on would be sold by the City State of Berlin to a small group of investors who had agreed to develop the land for the benefit of the entire city. Kat knew the truth, the investors were herself, Douglas and Gia. Gert, Aunt Marcella, Uncle Klaus, Petia and all the girls were minority stake holders. Kat had wanted to get to get the girls in on the deal because while she could shield them from consequences if the deal went badly, she wanted them to be able to reap the rewards if it went well.

Still though, Kat had hated how she had used her social standing to be first in line to purchase the land. She had allowed Douglas and Gia to talk her into it and had nearly burst into tears the instant she left the room after signing the paperwork, it was all she needed people to see. The reality was that despite her best efforts, Kat knew she wasn’t a good person.

“You are not just depressed this time, are you?” Ilse asked from the doorway.

“More like disgusted” Kat replied as Ilse walked across the room and sat down on the chair that was at Doug’s desk.

“You aren’t perfect” Ilse said, “And sometimes your priorities are off kilter.”

“You are only saying that because one of the proposals you’ve seen is for a new environmental science building for the University of Berlin” Kat said.

“Along with the rest of what will become Humboldt University” Ilse replied, “You made a point of that being a part of the final deal.”

What Ilse was talking about was the master plan that had been submitted to the State about what they intended to do with the land if it was sold to them. A new campus for the City’s University system, dedicated to the Sciences and Liberal Arts. The balance of the land was to be used for a mixture of residential and commercial purposes. Row houses, high rise apartment tenements, markets, spaces for shops and other small businesses. There was also going to be parks, schools, a library and a hospital. While Kat was under no illusions about this being a utopia, it would be a nice place to live and work.

“You think I’m being unreasonable too?” Kat asked.

“No” Ilse replied, “I just think that we allow our doubts and fears to control us too often.”

Kat heard what Ilse had just said, Ilse didn’t exclude herself from that. “We’re cursed, I guess” She said.

“No, we just don’t always see our blessings” Ilse said as she got up from the chair and pulled Kat’s dressing gown off its hook on the back of the door. “Your family would like you to come down before midnight if you are not going to be sleeping.”

Kat looked at Ilse, she had to know that Kat would probably be unable to sleep tonight with everything that was going on.

“I’ll come down” Kat said as she swung her legs out of the bed, “But don’t expect me to be great company.”

“No one will care” Ilse replied.

Fort Cronkhite, Marin Headlands, California

This was Jonny’s cover, he had gone home over Christmas and then had gotten orders sending him to 6th Coastal Artillery and Battery Townsley. Despite the obsolescence of the battery the 6th was perfectly prepared to say that the sixteen-inch guns dug into the ridge above the Fort were more than prepared to reduce to scrap any ship the Japanese or their German allies might send to force their way through the Golden Gate.

The support troops who worked in the motor pool with Jonny knew what the real score was. They had asked him who he had pissed off to get sent here on the first day. Still, it was a bit of a bother, Jonny’s car was presently being stored in Alexandrea, Virginia and he had no idea when he might be able to retrieve it. He was supposed to stay at Fort Cronkhite until he got further orders. Still, it wasn’t all bad, the beach was nice. There was also the amusing detail that the day after Jonny’s father had dropped him off at the Enlisted Barracks, Parker had arrived wearing the uniform of a Private First Class. The college boy had realized too late that in a place like Fort Cronkhite a Technical Sergeant like Jonny was the right hand of God. Parker was going to earn that stripe, with interest if he had anything to say about it. That had made the last few days enjoyable as Jonny had made the motor pool the cleanest and best organized on the West Coast. In the perverse way of the Army, the bigger a hardass Jonny was with the enlisted, including Parker, the happier the Brass was with him. To the point of talking about making him a First Sergeant sometime next year provided that the CIA didn’t call him away in the meantime.

As midnight approached Jonny was sitting on the beach in the warm glow of the lights of San Francisco that were reflected off the clouds with a nice beer buzz going. There were driftwood bonfires burning up and down the beach as the enlisted celebrated the new year. It was an incredible scene.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1041
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-One

8th January 1954

Berlin

This week Mistress Maeda was returning to Japan and Zella was understandably upset. Natsumi Maeda had been teaching how to really fight and not by half measures either. The week before, Gräfin Katherine and Mistress Maeda had gone head to head in order to display what was possible if the girls applied themselves and it was unlike anything that any of them had ever seen in their lives. Zella had seen such displays before, but it had been with men who tried to overpower each other. With the Gräfin and Mistress Maeda it had been about skill and form. Them trying to go punch or kick the other but done with a dancer’s grace. Then Mistress Maeda had announced that it was an honor to have taught such a wonderful group of students and that she was leaving. The result was that Zella had been sulking on the couch all evening.

Nothing that Kiki had said had cheered her up, not even poking fun at the news reports. Kiki would have thought that for Zella the news about color television being approved for use in broadcasts would have sparked dozens of sarcastic comments about TV stations broadcasting signals that no one could pick up because no color televisions were currently being sold in the German Market. Instead, Zella just sulked. Aurora fell asleep partway through the news report and she had made Kiki and Zella promise that they would wake her when the variety show came on. The news concluded with the weather report, snow in the forecast over the weekend.

“Snow will be fun” Kiki said, “Right Zella.”

“Whatever” Zella said, “I will probably spend all day Sunday watching Poppa work on his motorcycle, then get tormented by my mother about what I will be doing all week over dinner. A whole lot to look forward to.”

“Every silver lining comes with a black cloud?” Kiki asked, and Zella went back to sulking.

The news ended, and the variety show finally came on. Kiki nudged Aurora awake. The first act was a stand-up comedian who wasn’t as good as he thought he was.

“If I wanted to hear this I could have just stayed home and listened to my father’s jokes” Aurora said.

Zella and Kiki found that amusing. Their fathers were incredibly prominent, but the sorts of awkward jokes that they would tell their children were universally awful. The stand-up act ended, and the next act came on.

“Our next act is a young man from Memphis, Tennessee” The Host said, “Who I understand is quite the crooner, please welcome Elvis Presley.”

The studio applauded politely.

Kiki saw a man wearing a black suit walk out onto the stage. He was young, late teens or early twenties with slicked back hair and what Zella’s father described as a “fuck you” attitude.

“Thank you” Elvis replied in English, coming off as arrogant as his attitude suggested. He had no idea that the show wasn’t going out live, the subtitles gave that away.

“So, what do you have for us tonight?” The Host asked.

“This number has had a bit of time getting on the radio back home” Elvis said, “The lady who asked me to be here tonight said that you would let the audience be the judge of that.”

“We are all familiar with Lady Lagertha von Wolvogle” The Host said.

“That’s funny” Elvis said, “She told me her name was Gerta.”

“I overheard Gerta talking about him with Helene a couple months ago” Zella said, “She said that he had a needlessly high opinion of himself, but he supposedly is a good singer.”

“Well then” The Host said, “Let’s introduce your band.”

With that the banter continued as the guitarist, bass player and drummer were introduced. Then the host announced that it was time for the song. It was certainly different from anything else that she had heard before, Kiki had to give it that much. A choppy guitar lick that sounded like a steam train chugging down the tracks and the drummer doing an approximation of the rhythm of the rails. Then the first verse…

“The man lay down on a barroom floor,

having drunk so much he could drink no more.

So he fell asleep with a troubled brain,

to dream that he rode on a Hell-bound train.”

Kiki noticed that after each verse the tempo of the song increased a bit. It would make it impossible to dance to, but it was effective in telling the story.

“The engine with blood was red and damp,

And brilliantly lit with a brimstone lamp;

While the imp for fuel were shoveling bones,

The furnace rang with a thousand groans.

The Devil himself was the Engineer

The boiler was filled with lager beer,

The passenger made up a motley crew-

Church member, atheist, Gentile and Jew.

Rich men in broadcloth and beggars in rags,

Handsome young ladies and withered old hags.

Yellow and red men, brown, black and white,

All chained together what a terrible sight.”

Kiki noticed that the song was gathering in intensity as the band got deeper into it and the verses described the train hurtling towards its fiery destination. The passengers begging the Devil to stop the train.

“Why my faithful friends you’ve done my work,

The Devil could never a payday shirk.

Why you’ve bullied the weak and robbed the poor,

And a starving brother you’ve turned from the door.

You’ve laid up gold where the canker rusts,

And given free vent to your fleshy lusts.”

Kiki was rather surprised by this song, it didn’t seem like the sort of thing that an American might write.

“Justice you’ve scorned and corruption you’ve sown,

While you’ve trampled the laws of nature down.

You’ve drunken and rioted, murdered and lied,

And mocked at God in your Hell-bound pride.

You’ve paid your full fair, so I’ll carry you through,

For it’s only right you get your just due.”

With that the song concluded with the Devil promising the passengers an eternity of torment and the man waking up from his nightmare. The audience applauded, like Kiki, Zella and Aurora they were wondering exactly what they had just seen. The three of them argued about if the song was good or not for the rest of the evening.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1042
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Two

11th January 1954

Washington D.C.

“With me doing the business of the Country, a film is hardly the sort of thing that you would think I have time for” Truman said, sidestepping the questions about the film itself.

The gathered reporters found that amusing. The truth was that Harry Truman had seen the movie that had been released in American theaters the previous Friday after he had learned that it had certain individual’s panties in a twist. It had also been out for over a month in Europe already, so arranging a screening wasn’t difficult.

Catch a Tiger by the Tail was probably one of the few foreign films in recent years that could be considered hit. It was also extremely controversial. Fast cars, beautiful women and a Rock & Roll soundtrack. There was plenty in that to alone to set off a moral scold, but then there was the rest of the film that left them truly aghast. One of the character introductions was of the aristocratic Felicitas sneaking out the back door of her own wedding reception to take part in the car race. When her friend Tiger picked her up, a ribald joke about the wedding being in the nick of time got said. The result was instant outrage because it was obvious what was being implied. Then came the party scene on the beach just before the race, Truman figured that must have so offended the moral arbiters that they must have considered leaving the theater. In the place where the film was made swimwear that bordered on being nonexistent was apparently considered normal enough to appear in what must be a mainstream film.

The rest of the film was a fairly conventional action/comedy. A dastardly British spy and a stuffy German Officer who are actively hunting each other. The son of the German Officer and the character Anna being star-crossed lovers. The desire of Tiger and Felicitas to be seen as serious competitors. The film itself did a good job depicting the sort speed and danger of the race itself. Cameras at low angles, narrow mountain roads with questionable surfaces and overhead shots that must have been filmed from helicopters. Truman had to admit that part of the film was thrilling, but a phone call he had received from Charles Wilson at General Motors had revealed something about the nature of the film. The real star had been the Volkswagen Rabbit, a car that was being built in Canada that GM was trying to find an answer to. Truman found it a relief that none of the journalists asked about that.

12th January 1954

Tempelhof

The demolition of the terminal had already begun, and fences had been put up to keep people out. The runways, which had only been paved a decade and a half earlier were going to be torn up as well. The whole airport complex had taken decades to construct, now it was going to be erased in a matter of weeks. Kat was discovering that it was a million headaches. She knew that Ilse was trying to help but after what had just happened Kat had not wanted to hear another word. Soil contamination? That was what Ilse had been on about, along the flight line and in the hangers, petrochemicals mostly. There was no law against building over it, but Ilse had suggested that would probably change in the future, so they needed to act.

“Our expert says that we need to dig down a few meters in the marked areas and haul it off” Kat said as she looked at the map that Ilse had put together, “Then put down fresh fill.”

“That isn’t necessary Ma’am” The Foreman from the construction company said.

“It’s about public appearances” Kat said, “Environmental science is a big part of the University campus that is going to be built in the north-west quarter and if the site is found to be polluted it could be an issue.”

The Foreman just laughed at that, but Kat had a sinking feeling that a man like this wouldn’t be laughing for long. Helene had said that she was working with Sophie Scholl and her father to start something new and environmental protection was a big part of it. That meant politics.

“That won’t be a problem” The Foreman said, “It’s your money.”

That was a reminder that this whole project was a massive undertaking as vast as a military campaign. Kat had found herself having to take on the role of coordinating the various parties involved because no one else wanted to. Construction, surveying and architecture firms, demolitions, the City and University all wanted different things. Most worrying of all, Kat found herself having to deal with people who were connected with her father and questions were being asked. Especially when she had turned away a perspective builder who she knew would skim on both ends. If questions started to be raised about where the money came from then it would be Kat’s worst nightmare come true because there were no safe answers.

A series of articles that had outlined the master plan had run in the papers and the public was actually enthusiastic about the project. This was the first new neighborhood in the city center in decades and they saw that it would mean lots of decent jobs with good pay for the foreseeable future. It was something that put Kat on edge because she knew that if she couldn’t deliver then they would be calling for her head.

Part 71, Chapter 1043
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Three

17th January 1954

Berlin

Recently, a colleague had commented about Doug being the only man in a house with a number of women. He had joked about it as if it were a luxury, clearly having no idea the amount of drama that Doug had to take in stride. Today being a Sunday, Kat had vanished to speak to the Empress like she did for a couple hours every week. Then when Kat got back she was on the phone trying to keep the project on track, even on the weekends. He had tried to get her to ease off a bit, or at least hire an assistant. Then he had made the mistake of saying that a man would have hired a dozen people to handle these things for him if he had her resources. That had been a major mistake and it had triggered a major argument that had devolved into a shouting match. The project was something that she had never wanted to take it on in the first place, but she had still gotten upset when Doug had said that she would need to do something different this time because the project was going to last for years and she couldn’t keep up such direct involvement without burning herself out.

Then there were the other women in the house. Anne had a stack of rejection letters from publishers that was growing to alarming heights. Ilse had somewhat overcome her fears but was burying herself in her work again, which was what had probably triggered those irrational fears to begin with. Nancy had come back from Flensburg where she had attempted a romantic weekend with Tilo Schultz that had turned out badly because the subject of Tilo’s father had come up. According to Kat, Johann Schultz was pure poison and everything he touched died. This time the result had been a brutal spat between Nancy and Tilo where they had pulled no punches as years of frustration and anger boiled over. Nancy had been back that morning after spending the night in the Flensburg train station and taking the first train back to Berlin. She had been crying on Kat’s shoulder before Kat had to leave for the palace.

Stepping into the kitchen, Doug saw Tatiana and Malcolm playing on the floor as Petia was preparing dinner and Eha was helping where she could while keeping an eye on the twins. Malcolm had a hand carved wooden horse that he was playing with and Tatiana had decided that it was what she wanted to play with too even though there were plenty of other things for her to play with. To avoid the inevitable squabble, Doug scooped Tatiana up and she was a bit heavier than he expected. It was a reminder that the twins were going to turn three in another month. Where did the time go?

“Poppa” Tatiana said happily as she realized who had picked her up.

“Please do me favor Tat” Doug said to his daughter, “Don’t ever grow up.”

Eha snickered and Petia said, “Spoken like every father since the dawn of time” in Russian.

“I’m sorry” Doug said, “Just things have been complicated around here lately.”

“That is a polite way of saying that it has been a bloody fucking mess” Petia replied, “Things had been going a bit too well around here, so it was all overdue.”

Doug wished that Petia was wrong about that, but it seemed like every year they went through a time where there was some sort of crisis. It was certainly here now.

Pskov Oblast, Russia

“Gospozha Sasha!” Gia heard the children yelling that excitedly as she arrived at the Yelizarov Convent. They remembered clearly remembered her though she had never had a chance to return over the last few years. To her amazement, all the children were now nine and ten years old, but that had also been what had necessitated Gia’s return. She had provided warm clothes, money, and the occasional treat for these children. But they were aging out of orphanage and would soon be sent elsewhere, to either learn a trade or further their education, if either were possible. Gia was trying to see to it that these children wouldn’t fall between the cracks as Ilse had said that she had seen again and again while growing up in similar situation.

There was one case here that stood out. Anya Maksimova, an intelligent girl with big brown eyes and short cropped brown hair who was prone to wild flights of fancy. Big dreams of pirate treasure and long-lost family coming for her. Both were fantasy, there was no treasure and Anya’s entire family had either been slaughtered by the NKVD or had died in the war, used as cannon fodder in the Shtrafbat Battalions. In her letters to Gia she had remained fanciful and optimistic. Gia knew that the system would destroy her one way or another and even if Anya survived the optimistic little girl would be gone forever. Gia had decided that she needed to act, but Ilse had warned her about what she was getting into. This was the only world that Anya had ever known. Now that Gia was moving into a place of her own in Potsdam, she knew that she would have room for Anya, but it would be a difficult adjustment.

“I brought goodies for everyone” Gia said, “In the recreation room.”

With that the children rushed into the other room. “Not you though Anya” Gia said, and Anya stopped.

“Did I do something wrong?” Anya asked, her voice full of trepidation.

“No, of course not” Gia said.

“What do you want then?”

“How would you like to go on a real adventure?” Gia asked, “To a magical city.”

“The Abbess says that magic isn’t real” Anya replied.

“I’ll tell you a secret” Gia said, “I’ve seen museums with dinosaurs, libraries with a million books or eaten food from around the world. If that isn’t magic, then what is?”

“What’s a dinosaur?” Anya asked.

Gia smiled, “Animals, big lizards, that were around ages ago” she said, “We find their bones.”

Anya looked at her quizzically.

“There are also my sisters and cousins” Gia said, “They would like to meet you, if you came back to Berlin with me.”

Anya looked at Gia in astonishment, that was the last thing she had ever imagined would ever happen.

Last edited:
    Part 70, Chapter 1044
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Four

25th January 1954

Jena

“You’ll be pleased to know that you perfectly healthy” Peter said reading the latest updates to Kat’s file, “No irregularities or anything you should be too worried about.”

“But what about my back” Kat replied, it had been a nagging backache that had caused her to go into the clinic.

“Age, Katherine” Peter replied, “You aren’t a teenager anymore and you push yourself to keep up with people half your age. The odds are high that you are going to eventually do serious injury to yourself if you continue.”

Kat’s reaction was one of anger that she did nothing to hide. It wasn’t Peter’s fault that this was happening, and it wasn’t something that anyone could do anything about. He could see that despite her generally youthful appearance there were signs of Kat’s age, she had to be aware of it too even if she was unwilling to admit it.

The week before she had been complaining about how she had basically been forced by competing circumstances to make choices she didn’t want to make. If it hadn’t left her so stressed Peter might have found it amusing, the indomitable Gräfin von Mischner delegating responsibility. Something that didn’t come naturally to her. She had received a sideways promotion within the 1st Foot to be the new Executive Officer and had to hire several people to oversee the Tempelhof Project for her. All of them were former members of the Pioneer Corps who she grudgingly felt she could trust with the task. She had also said that she was forced to deal with a Henning Kraus, one of her father’s former henchmen. He had shown up on Kat’s doorstep and demanded a slice of the pie. Kat hadn’t said how she had handled the situation, but Peter had a bad feeling that this Henning had probably not gotten what he expected. Attempting to extort Kat when she was in a mood was a good way to end up in traction.

“The General Practitioner didn’t know you personally” Peter said, “He included in his notes that he felt that you would do well to take a vacation.”

“You can’t be serious” Kat said, “There is no way that…”

“I know you have responsibilities” Peter said, “But workdays that are sixteen hours or more, seven days a week is something that you can’t keep doing because you are going to collapse.”

“What are you saying?” Kat asked.

“That the problems with your back should be a wake up call for you” Peter said, “Next time it might come in the form of a mental breakdown, heart arrhythmia or any number of other scary things.”

Peter realized partway through that he had raised his voice and that she was looking at him in surprise. In all the years that she had been seeing Peter, he had never done that.

“Start taking care of yourself or be ordered to” Peter said, “You aren’t being given a choice.”

Berlin

Anya was looking in awe up at the dinosaur skeleton in the Natural History Museum. Gia had promised her that this was real. It had been an enjoyable week with Gia living vicariously through Anya as she looked in wonder at everything around the city. A couple hours before Gia had introduced her to Vietnamese Pho soup and chopsticks. They had sat in the window of the restaurant watching people go by and Anya had talked excitedly about everything she was seeing. There had been people from all over the world walking past and Gia had almost burst out laughing when Anya saw a very dignified looking man of African extraction with skin so dark it was almost blue walk past. That was totally outside Anya’s experience. Gia figured that she must have had a similar reaction when she had first come from Tumbler Ridge.

So far, the fun had outweighed the difficulties. Both Gia and Anya were having to adjust. Having a room entirely to herself was a novel experience for Anya. Learning that she was responsible for keeping it clean was all too familiar for her though and she had resisted that a bit. On some level Anya had thought that she was escaping responsibilities. Gia had been the one to tell Anya that it wasn’t always going to be fun all the time and realized that she sounded exactly the same as Aunt Marcella from years earlier. Gia wasn’t looking forward to the coming battle over preparing Anya for starting school. The other difficulty was Saint Alexandra was back, news had leaked out that Gia had taken on an orphan from Saint Petersburg as her ward and she had an especially warm welcome when she had gone to church with Kira the prior Sunday.

Anya had no idea why they were the center of attention in Berlin’s small Orthodox community and hadn’t liked it much. Gia had told her they would get over it soon enough.

“What is this?” Anya asked. That was an interesting question, the stone slab contained the fossilized Archaeopteryx, the strange creature that had features of both a bird and a dinosaur, teeth and feathers. Anya couldn’t read the placards in German yet, so she had no idea what she was looking at. She also still had a child’s religiosity. Which meant that trying to explain Charles Darwin and evolution would probably be too much for one day.

“The world was once a very different place” Gia said.

“How long ago?” Anya asked.

Gia looked at the placard, “One hundred fifty million years according to this” She replied.

Anya just stared at Gia wide-eyed when she heard that. That was beyond comprehension to a nine-year-old.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1045
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Five

31st January 1954

Berlin

Emil was still trying to wrap his head around the nature of the relationship between his wife’s protégée and her ward. Mother and daughter or sisters? Maria had said it didn’t matter because between being one of the Romanovs and the lingering specter of hemophilia Gia was unlikely to ever have a family of her own. She had seen that Anya was in desperate need for a stable, protective home and Gia was able to have a bit of normalcy in a life that had been turned completely upside down. Emil found that sort of harsh, always having to suspect other people’s motives, never sure if feelings were genuine or they just wanted something. It was Gia’s reality though.

“Five-Eighths inch wrench” Emil said to Anya who looked at him with a bewildered look on her face. He assumed that she had been bewildered a lot since she had come to Berlin.

Emil understood why Gia had brought the girl when she had come to have dinner that night with them. They had learned in the last couple weeks that Anya was terrified of soldiers. It was hardly a surprise with where she had come from, but it presented a profound difficulty with Gia’s protection detail. When Anya had had discovered that they were from the 1st Imperial Foot Guard Regiment it had triggered an extremely bad reaction. Maria and Gia had asked Emil if he could help, he was Field Marshal, and no one thought that Emil looked particularly threatening.

A dark thought had run through Emil’s head when they said that, if they knew the full truth they wouldn’t think about him that way. In recent days Emil had been involved with war gaming the event of a nuclear war between two powers. The Chancellor had not liked the preliminary result, Franz Halder had concluded that the German Empire was particularly vulnerable to such an attack that and that diplomacy and arms limitation treaties were the best course of action. Halder wasn’t afraid to say that to the Chancellor, but then he was on his way out anyway. Halder had already received one waver to delay his retirement but at age sixty-eight he wasn’t going to get another. Emil increasingly had doubts about his ability to do the job at top spot the closer he got to it. He knew that it was politics that was driving his appointment. The Reichstag wanted someone other than a Heer General this time and Emil was seen as a genuine hero, was generally respected and was a Luftwaffe General. The problem was that whatever messes Halder created on the way out it would fall on Emil to clean up. It was especially thorny because Emil agreed with Halder’s assessment, he just wouldn’t have been as blunt about it.

It wasn’t until today that Emil could get back to working on reassembling the motorcycle engine that had been languishing for weeks.

“This one” Emil said as he took a wrench with a 5/8 stamped on it. Anya was starting to figure it out, she had no problem with the metric wrenches, but Imperial gave her trouble because it was totally unfamiliar.

Zella was sitting on her chair in the corner, radiating annoyance with the world in general. Maria had said that one day she might start acting halfway human again, about the time she started University.

“She really is good” Anya said cheerfully in French, which the Nuns at the orphanage had taught her for some reason. “Her drawings.”

“I know” Emil replied, “But Zella doesn’t realize how talented she is yet.”

Zella just ignored them as she kept working on her sketch pad.

“Did Gia tell you who I am?” Emil asked. He figured that Anya had a couple hours to get used to him, it was something that she would probably have to do again. He had given his aides the night off so that it would be easier but there was still a bit of a risk.

“You are her friend Maria’s husband” Anya said.

“Yes” Emil said, “I’m also the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the High Command.”

“The what?” Anya asked.

“He’s a paratrooper” Zella said, “Every solder, sailor and airman in the military has to obey him or else.”

“I’ve seldom needed the or else part” Emil said, wishing that Zella would learn some discretion. She was going to turn thirteen in a couple months, so Emil wasn’t optimistic about her getting there anytime soon. “The truth is that I’m a man who likes to listen to music and tinker with motorcycle engines.”

“Paratrooper?” Anya asked. She had no idea what was, which was a saving grace here if Zella kept her mouth shut for a few minutes.

“When I younger I jumped out of airplanes with a parachute” Emil said. The last combat jump he had done was less than a decade earlier, but who was counting. “As for the rest. If you have anyone in a uniform scare you, tell Gia to tell me and I can straighten the matter out.”

“Thank you” Anya said, it was clear to Emil that she didn’t really understand what any of that meant.

“It is the least I can do” Emil said, “Gia has always been a friend of this family and I guess you are too.”

Anya smiled when Emil told her that.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1046
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Six

10th February 1954

Jena

It seemed like February was the bleakest month. Spring was right around the corner, yet it was hard to see under the grey skies and icy days. Riding a motorcycle in those conditions was not a whole lot of fun but he had done it anyway. There was considerable danger as the problem with the R-68 was that it was natural for speeds to creep up, the motorcycle wanted to go its top speed of a hundred and seventy kilometers per hour.

As Emil walked into the hospital and saw his namesake godson, Emil Lang sitting with Rhona Reise and Sophie Scholl. They still trying to come to terms with what had just happened to them. Meningitis complicated with kidney failure and lead poisoning, things caused by the bullet fragments lodged in Lang’s spine. Augustus Lang had been dead before he had been admitted into the hospital, it had just taken his heart a couple hours to catch up with that fact. Lang had sarcastically said for years that eventually the bullet fired at him so long ago in the Battle of Verdun would finish the job. That every day since 1916 that been borrowed time for him.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” Emil asked Rhona, only to have her seem to fall in on herself. Augustus and Rhona had come together in the Spring Revolution and had been inseparable in the thirty years since. Even if the two of them had frequently been at odds politically, life without Augustus was unimaginable for her.

“That is enough Emil” He heard a voice say and he turned and saw Esther staring at him with steely eyes and Jacob standing a pace behind her. “If she needs something she will ask.”

It was a reminder that today there were no military or social ranks in this place. They were just a loose circle of friends and family who had just lost one of their people.

As Emil had been coming into Jena he had seen that the streets were a sea of red flags and the photograph of Lang facing down the Panzers during the Spring Revolution was everywhere. Augustus Lang, the Patron Saint of the Revolution against whatever. Lang himself would have found the notion absurd. Then he would have pointed out that he was the one who had steered the revolution to constructive ends and built something that might eventually prove enduring. He would have also said that he owed it to Manfred von Wolvogle going to take a piss more than anything. Emil frequently wondered what the historians would make of that when the scholarly works started to be written.

“Sjostedt is coming” Emil said to Esther.

“Good, Rhona will like that even if she’s never liked religion” Esther replied, “Did you hear from Walter yet?”

“I’ve left messages” Emil said, “But he has not called the OKW Headquarters or my house yet, so I’ve no idea what is going on with him.”

“Where is Maria?” Esther asked.

“She had to find somewhere to send the children tonight” Emil said, “Sending them to the house of a friend of Zella’s was the best we could arrange, it takes time though, Maria told me to go ahead and she would catch up.”

“Thank you for coming so quickly” Esther said, “The vultures are already circling.”

It sounded about right, when Emil had come in he had seen a few reporters sniffing around in the hospital lobby. When the formal announcement went out in a couple hours it was going to be a feeding frenzy.

Washington D.C.

Just when things had been looking up, Truman had found himself getting handed yet another shit sandwich.

In Charlotte, North Carolina a unionization drive had turned violent after the management of a textile mill had systematically fired anyone believed to be sympathetic to the union effort. The workers in the mill had reacted badly to this turn in events but the management had made a major mistake this time. In the past they had pitted black and white workers against each other, over the last several years they had already fired most of the black workers with one excuse or another. That meant that this time almost all those being fired were white and they reacted in a manner that was all too predictable, with outrage. Then the mill had gone up in flames, the local fire marshal was saying that it was arson.

Now Truman that the State Government of North Carolina and the CIO demanding that the FBI investigate the fire. The State and mill owners wanted the FBI to go after the workers and the union because the local police were not willing to do their bidding this time. The union was alleging that it was the mill owners who had torched their own building for the insurance money and to frame them. Basically, it was a hornet’s nest that had been years in the making. Truman had been trying to get ahead of the situation before it spread.

Then the phone had rang and Truman learn that Augustus Lang was dead. Lang hadn’t been that old, only fifty-six, and despite the events of the prior year the former Chancellor and League of Nations Chairman had still tried to keep the avenues of communication open. His most likely replacement in the LN was known to consider anyone not French to be a lower life form. Internationally, things had just gotten a lot more complicated at an extremely bad time.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1047
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Seven

12th February 1954

Berlin

The adults were acting completely insane, that was the conclusion that Aurora had come to.

Zella’s mother had dropped her and her brother off at Aurora’s house two days earlier. Then when Aurora’s parents learned what was going on, they instantly arranged for them to stay with Kiki. Not that Kiki minded, but having Aurora’s younger siblings Yoni and Pia here as well Zella’s terrible little brother Walter and being responsible for them ruined any chance for them to do anything truly fun. Then today they were joined by Anya and Kiki’s younger brother and sisters, Louis, Ria and Vicky. The effect was chaotic, but no one cared because it kept them out from underfoot while the memorial service for the former Chancellor was going on elsewhere. The two nurses who cared for three youngest royal children seemed more frazzled than usual with Ria and Vicky being at their worst and they were more than happy to have the oldest girls do much of the work.

Anya was being more or less ignored, which suited her fine for the moment. She was looking at the random pages of sheet music that she had picked up off the floor as Aurora watched. She then said something to Kiki in Russian and Kiki laughed. Anya might have been a couple years younger than them, but she had swiftly become a friend of Kiki’s. It was good because there had been times in the past when Kiki had ended up as the odd one out. Kiki was also the only one aside from her mother and Gia who spoke Russian. For a few minutes they talked to each other and then Kiki went over to her desk and started pushing things aside. When she found what she was looking for she pulled it off the desk triggering an avalanche of random things, pens, papers, books, a plate, and a plastic frog(?)onto the floor. She had a wooden case that she held up triumphantly.

“Found it!” Kiki exclaimed, and she opened it. There was a stack of records inside, all Classical Music. Then Kiki opened a cabinet that had a thick coating of dust revealing it to be a combination record player and speaker cabinet. In theory Kiki’s suite was cleaned out once a week. In reality it seemed like the mess followed behind her from room to room and between palaces.

Removing the record from its cover and dust jacket Kiki put it on the turn table, and the air was filled with the sound of swelling orchestral music that resolved itself into a pulsing fast paced waltz. Anya clapped her hands and laughed, this was must have been exactly what she had been talking about with Kiki.

Then Anya said something to Kiki, Kiki stopped laughing and had a sly look on her face. “You wouldn’t dare” Kiki said, momentarily forgetting that Anya could probably hardly understand that, then she repeated herself in Russian. This was interesting. Anya wouldn’t dare do what?

Anya jumped out of her chair and grabbed Louis’ arm, pulling him off the couch and to his feet. There had been efforts to teach Louis to dance but he struggled to keep up with Anya who was shockingly good at dancing. The younger children stopped what they were doing and watched the spectacle. The first piece of music ended after a few minutes, and as they waited for the next piece to start Anya said something in Russian.

“What did she say?” Louis asked Kiki.

“She said that she can lead if that will make it easier for you” Kiki said mildly.

Louis was flushed with embarrassment when Kiki said that. Then he was saved as the next piece of music came on, he was too busy trying to keep up with Anya to think about anything else. At the end of the second piece of music Anya let him go.

“Ask her where she learned to do that” Aurora told Kiki.

Anya listened to that and then turned to Aurora, “In Russia, no television” she said through an accent that made her nearly impossible to understand.

Lichtenburg, Berlin

As Emil watched the medals that had belonged to Augustus Lang were brought at the head of the procession on a pillow into the graveyard. The 140th “Souville” Dragoon Regiment, of the 4th Panzer Division was present in full dress uniform, not just the present Regiment but the thousands of additional men who had served in the Regiment over the years. There were even a few extremely old men who had been present when the Regiment had first been raised in Hohensalza on the 1st of February 1890. As far Emil knew this was the first time that this had happened.

Lang had not been one of the men present when the Regiment had its defining moment in the neutralization of Fort Souville. He had been wounded in battle two days prior. No one cared though, in his brief time with the Regiment Lang had gone a dangerous mission into no-man’s-land and had been decorated for bravery. Later he had shown exactly the sort of balls that men from the Regiment had when he had faced down the military response to the Spring Revolution and lead the entire Empire to an impossible victory against the Soviets.

Only Emil, Horst and Rhona knew the full truth about what had happened. How Emil and Horst had fudged the report to make Lang look like hero after Verdun and then Lang had been torn up with guilt over the matter. It was what had driven Lang to ever greater insanity as he tried to live up to that image as a revolutionary.

After an extremely long time the last of the 140th made it to their assigned spot in graveyard. To Emil’s shock military units and delegations from nations around the world entered the cemetery. Having a military funeral with full honors wasn’t something that happened often in Friedrichsfelde Central Cemetery. Maria was supposed to join him in a few minutes, after she checked to see what the reporters from the BT were up to. A rangy looking young man came walking down the line and Emil debated if he should have him chased off.

“Quite a turnout, Sir” The young man said with annoying nonchalance, Emil recognized the type, student radical and wannabe revolutionary.

“It is” Emil replied.

“We’re passing these out, if you don’t mind” The young man said, and he handed Emil a leaflet. Printed on it was the words; Augustus Lang is ALL of us! Be your own revolution. It was with the famous photograph of him during the Spring Revolution before Brandenburg Gate and a sea of people in front of him.

Emil smiled, “I think that he would have liked this” He said.

“You knew him?” The young man asked.

“In school in Jena, Verdun and later on the streets of this city” Emil replied, “I was the one who made the introduction between Emperor Wilhelm and Lang.”

“Who are you?”

Emil was amazed that there might be someone like this out there. “Jochen von Loewe” Emil replied with great conviction.

“I thought he was… I mean you… You were fiction” The young man stammered.

It was all Emil could do not to burst into laughter.

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1048
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Eight

16th February 1954

Near Lvov, Rural Eastern Poland

After the funeral of Augustus Lang and the battle to claim the political legacy of the former Chancellor that had resulted, Maria had needed a palate cleanser. People on the left and right ends of the political spectrum were staking their claims. Scholars were trying to make comparisons between Lang and his predecessors, Otto von Bismarck in particular. The truth was that anyone who knew Augustus was aware that he would have found the whole thing to be hilarious. If anyone had the right to claim the legacy of Augustus it was probably his protégée Sophie Scholl. However, she had recently broken with the Social Democrats and was working to start a new political party with her friends Ilse Mischner and Helene von Richthofen with the backing of Helene’s father. They were still batting around names for the Party but had time before the next election. It was obvious from the sample of their platform that Maria had seen where the hand of Graf von Richthofen was. They were going to be calling for the preservation of Germany’s ecology and cultural heritage. Aside from that, it was largely center-left and extoled the pragmatism of Langism.

Maria herself had taken an assignment to escape the BT and Berlin for a few days to contribute to a feature story that the Paper was doing on the demographics of the German Empire. The farm that Maria was visiting today was a part of that.

Engel Ohme had flown with the Luftwaffe as a gunner in the Second World War on a bomber over Russia and Japan. After the war he had returned to the family farm in Lower Saxony then had met and married Liza Krupin, a former Russian prisoner who had been assigned to his family’s farm during the war. Eventually, they and their growing family had taken the opportunity to reestablish a farm that had been left abandoned by the war. This wasn’t without controversy. Eastern Poland had been hard hit by the war and was depopulated. German farmers, particularly younger sons like Engel were being incentivized to relocate here. Many of the ethnic Poles felt that Poland was being colonized, but it wasn’t that simple.

It was however part of a larger story, during the war millions of Russians had found themselves in the Prisoner of war camps. The German Government had shifted the cost by offering them the chance to volunteer for the newly established Pioneer Corps, or they could be laborers, mostly in Lower Saxony or Bavaria. No one quite realized the implications of that choice at the time. Everyone knew about the women who had become the nucleus of the Russian Expat community in Berlin, the ones who could never go home and had mostly successfully built lives for themselves in the city. Or the volunteers in the Pioneer Corps who had built railroads across an entire continent and had created the core of the new Russian Army in the process.

Less well known were the ones who had been sent to help with planting and harvests on farms or doing work in villages. To Maria, what had happened next should have been predictable, it was the sort of thing that had launched a million jokes. A young man or woman gets sent a farm to help out, a few years go by and they are no longer a prisoner but the Son or Daughter-in-Law.

“It is wonderful that you came” Liza said as she let Maria into the farm house.

In doing so Maria saw instantly that Engel and Liza had brought far more than just themselves and their children here. They had brought a different way of doing things and mindset. Everything visible in the house was modern, the electric lights, plumbing and appliances. In the Polish houses that Maria had been in that afternoon everything had looked like it had come from a different century. A considerable effort had been taken to modernize Poland, bring electricity and telephone to the villages but in recent years those efforts had encountered significant resistance. It had resulted in uneven development in the region, much to the annoyance of both Warsaw and Berlin.

“It was kind of you to invite me” Maria replied as she walked through the common room of the small farm house. A child who looked three or four years old peered around a door frame into the common room. Maria’s notes said that Engel and Liza had three children, two were school aged, this one was the youngest.

“Engel says one day we’ll be able to add on to this house to have more elbow room” Liza said as she pulled a chair out for Maria, “Tea?”

“Thank you” Maria said as she got out her notebook.

With that Liza put a kettle of water on the stove. “We weren’t sure what to make of you wanting to come here for a story” She said, “Not a whole lot to tell.”

“In my experience that is seldom true” Maria replied, “There is always a story.”

Liza just shook her head at that. “When Engel gets back you’ll see” She said, “We’re happy, that is about it. Other than that life is hard.”

“You don’t see the story in that?” Maria asked.

“It’s like when your newspaper called and asked if we could be interviewed” Liza said, “I told them that we just aren’t that interesting.”

“I think that I will be the judge of that” Maria said, “From what I’ve seen there is an incredible story here, you are just too close to see it.”

Last edited:
    Part 71, Chapter 1049
  • Chapter One Thousand Forty-Nine

26th February 1954

Werder

One of the few bright spots for Gia in recent days had turned out to be Anya’s love of dancing. When Anya had taken an assessment test that was to determine the current state of her education and ability to learn it had not gone well. Even when language was factored in, it had revealed that she was going to have a difficult time in the coming months and years. Gia knew that Anya was intelligent and imaginative, the assessment had revealed as much. However, it had also revealed that she hopeless with mathematics and had problems associated with her education being long on Theology and short in most other areas. It had been suggested that Anya would have to be on the receiving end of extensive tutoring if she was ever going to catch up with her peers. This had left Anya feeling dejected and useless.

It had been when they had needed it the most one that a wonderful bright spot had been found. Gia had learned from Kiki that Anya loved to dance. Apparently, in the Yelizarov Convent teaching the children about classical music and dancing was done as entertainment. She had no idea what had prompted the nuns to do that but was thankful that they had. When she had asked Gerta’s help it had been given freely.

“She is a promising dancer” Gerta said, “Not great, not yet anyway, but with lessons and practice she might be great one day.”

“I asked about that, various schools” Gia said, “There are waiting lists, and this is not something that can be done quickly.”

“They might make someone from your family wait for five minutes” Gerta replied.

“I can’t do that” Gia said.

Gerta snorted as she tried not to laugh, Gia just wanted to slap her.

“I love you Gia, but the long-suffering martyr routine that you learned from your sister is incredibly annoying and both of you need to stop doing it” Gerta said, “If you don’t make the call then I will.”

“Wait, what?” Gia said.

“Talents that don’t get used go to waste” Gerta said, “I know that you want Anya to be happy and be interested in learning. The only way you can do that is if she has something to look forward to every day, it’s sort of like what Kat did for you by encouraging your interests, getting you that job at the paper.”

Gia knew that Gerta had a point, that didn’t mean that she would be happy with that course of action.

“I also think that what you are doing for Anya is wonderful” Gerta said, “Her situation is not as dire as yours was, but still I understand it wasn’t going anywhere good. You stepped in the same way that our little Kat did for you.”

“Yes” Gia replied guardedly, wondering where Gerta was going with this.

“If something happened to me and Kurt my hope would be that my sisters would do the same thing for Suse or Alois” Gerta said.

“Well, thank you” Gia said, that was surprisingly deep for Gerta.

“Good” Gerta said, “Now did you see Elvis on television last week? He took off a bit faster than I thought he would, when I first met him in Memphis I knew he was a real dish, but still.”

“That isn’t really the music I’m into” Gia said, she was aware of Kat’s harsh criticism that the American Rock & Roll singer was aping the songs and styles of Black performers who didn’t receive a fraction of the attention that he was during his visit to Germany.

Geneva, Switzerland

Louis Ferdinand looked incredibly nervous, the side of him that the public seldom got to see. He wasn’t a natural public speaker. As the XO of the 1st Foot, Kat was now commanding his personal security detail. In the time since Kat had come back from leave she had learned more about the Emperor than she ever imagined that she would. Louis wrote classical music that he published under a pseudonym in his spare time. He was also a voracious reader and to Kat’s surprise he written many newspaper columns and magazine articles on subjects like economics, politics and governing philosophy, again under a pseudonym.

The Emperor also kept up with International news which had turned out to be the sourest aspect of the entire arrangement. Playing almost the exactly the same role that Kat had played for the Empress for years was none other than Johann Schultz. Kat was having to be in regular contact with Schultz again when she really wanted to cut his throat.

A week earlier, Kat had seen an inescapable truth about the Emperor. Louis had gone to visit the Opel assembly plant in Brandenburg an der Havel, he had been comfortable interacting with the workers and because of his time working for the Ford Motor Company years earlier he knew his way around an assembly line. Louis, who was tall and a bit awkward had been in his element there. Kat had concluded that he probably would have been happier working on assembling cars. He was also happy to listen to the workers explain to him what they did.

Today, was something completely different. Louis was about to address the League of Nations and speak on the subject of nuclear arms. With his reputation of being apolitical he was seen as the perfect representative of the German people to speak on this subject, namely to call for the end of the proliferation and testing of such weapons. While Louis wasn’t expected to make much headway on the subject today, it was seen as an opening gambit in a much larger game.

“Break a leg, your Imperial Highness” Kat said as the moment for him to address the assembly came.

“I don’t suppose that you could arrange to do that for me, so I don’t have to do this?” Louis asked.

Kat thought about it for a second, “You are out of luck, Sir” She said, “Empress Kira wouldn’t be happy with me if I did that.”

“Wouldn’t want that, would we?” Louis said with a slight smile as he waited to be announced.

Last edited:
    Part 72, Chapter 1050
  • Chapter One Thousand Fifty

7th March 1954

Berlin

“At least you made it this year” Petia said with delight as they walked into the park where a boisterous festival was happening.

Gia and Anya were flanked by Gia’s body guards though from the reaction that Gia was receiving from the crowd around them was one almost entirely of love as word had spread quickly that Grand Duchess Alexandra was here. Petia had been inviting Gia to Maslenitsa for years but fear of exposure and her own inclination to avoid crowds had always kept her away. Today was the Sunday of Forgiveness and now with Anya in her life Gia felt obligated to attend.

“Here to cause trouble Sasha?” Gia heard a familiar voice say and she saw General Dmitri Malama walked up to them. “The young men have already been fighting, one of the most beautiful women in Berlin showing up will just make matters worse.”

“Where is she?” Gia asked.

The General laughed at that. “And who is this?” Dmitri asked looking at Anya.

“My ward, Anya Maksimova” Gia replied then turning to Anya, “Anya this is Dmitri Malama, one of my mother’s suitors before she left Russia.”

Dmitri smiled and tipped his hat to Anya, “You missed the fun earlier, the bear got drunk and decided that he wasn’t interested in the festivities anymore” He said, “He’s sleeping it off under the stage.”

“Why is the bear sleeping under the stage?” Anya asked.

“I cannot guess what a bear might be thinking” Dmitri said as they walked towards a cordoned off pavilion within the festival, “But something you should always remember is that bears sleep wherever they want.”

Gia saw Raisa, Dmitri’s wife watching them. While she had never warmed to Gia she wasn’t as openly hostile as when she feared that Gia might catch her husband’s eye as a romantic partner. It was a bit absurd, Gia might have been Dmitri’s daughter if things had happened differently. As they entered the pavilion Gia found a drink thrust into her hands and she was welcomed by these people who were mostly staff from the Russian Embassy and the more well to do of the Russian expatriates.

“Here to see the burning of the Lady?” Raisa asked as Gia sat down.

“Yes” Gia replied.

“I can’t imagine that there are too many people you should ask forgiveness from” Tanya, Dmitri’s daughter said.

“You would be amazed” Gia replied, “I’m not nearly as perfect as I am made out to be.”

“There are also the people who have wronged you” Dmitri said.

“I would imagine that would take weeks” Raisa said.

“No” Gia replied, “Being angry takes too much effort, I’m not interested in that anymore. I said my peace with those who deserved it a long time ago.”

“And you still say that you aren’t her Sasha?” Raisa replied.

“What do you mean?” Gia asked.

Before Gia could get an answer Petia and Anya rejoined them at the table.

“Find something good?” Gia asked Anya who had a full mouth.

Anya grinned, and Gia saw bits of blini with jam and cheese stuck in her teeth.

“Don’t be rude” Gia said, as Anya kept chewing and looking entirely too self-satisfied.

“We need to work on the girl’s manners” Petia said.

“Yes” Gia agreed, as Anya realized belatedly that she had pushed things a touch too far.

Fort Cronkhite, Marine Headlands, California

“We seem to have been forgotten here” Parker said as he was sweeping out one of the repair bays that was covered in sawdust that had been put down to soak up spilled motor oil.

“Enough” Jonny said, “You need to stop complaining about that.”

“Easy for you to say” Parker said, “You aren’t the one at the bottom of the manure heap.”

In the true theater of the absurd, Jonny had been promoted to First Sergeant at the end of January. The Colonel had taken him aside and said that despite his misguided attempt to be a civilian the year before he would be going places in the Army. Somehow, the Colonel found out that he had been arrested in Sonoma County and had agreed to reenter the Army as opposed to the likely destinations of San Quinton or Folsom, he had said that in was God’s way of letting him know where he belonged by giving him a second chance. He had then said that Jonny getting his High School diploma opened up a whole lot of possibilities for him if he asked. Jonny was quite sure that the CIA would not be thrilled if he took up the Colonel on that.

“I earned these stripes in Mexico” Jonny said, “And there is something that you need to remember.”

Jonny stepped in close to Parker, he was aware that in any Army base secrets were nearly impossible to keep. If more than one other person heard something, then everyone would know in an hour. He wanted this to stay between the two of them.

“Your whining is going to get your ass kicked” Jonny said as he cornered Parker in the bay “The people who set all of this up know that wherever we go next the story has to be air tight. And if you blow this I’ll be fine with staying here. You on the other hand, if you are stupid enough to mention where we were last then your next stop will be Napa State Hospital.”

Jonny had no idea if that was true or not, but he had heard dark rumors about what the CIA and the OSS before it did with its people who had become problems. Judging by Parker’s reaction, he had heard the same rumors.

That was when Parker was saved by the Captain walking through the motor pool. He saw Jonny glaring at a shaken looking Parker. “Carry on Sarge” The Captain said and then he just kept on walking.

“What the…” Parker muttered.

“What that was is another lesson about how the real-world works” Jonny said flatly.

Last edited:
    Part 72, Chapter 1051
  • Chapter One Thousand Fifty-One

12th March 1954

Berlin

This wasn’t Pskov.

It wasn’t as if there weren’t reminders of that constantly for Anya. Sasha, or Gia as her closest friends called her for reasons that Anya was still trying to understand, had said that this city was magical, and it was. However, Anya had also learned that there was a hard reality here as well. She saw that there were a staggering number of people here, and many were far outside of her experience. That was part of what Sasha had been talking to her about. How she reacted to people and how she needed to learn not to say things that should never be repeated.

Anya had looked at people from Africa or Korea with astonishment and had been amazed the differences in the people one might see walking past on a city street. Where she had gotten in trouble was when she had let her mouth run away from her. She found out that several of the people who were dear to Sasha happened to be Jewish she had said something unthinkingly had had left Sasha quivering with barely concealed anger and Sasha’s adopted sister Katherine… That woman had grown cold and scary. Anya had understood in that instant why they called her the Tigress, Anya had seen her herself reflected in those icy blue eyes and saw the potential for her own death there. It was horrifying.

In the days since Sasha had talked to her about how because it was now High Lent and Anya didn’t have a whole lot to atone for she should work on being a better person instead. Then Katherine had said that what she had said was offensive and made out of ignorance. Knowledge and experience were the only cure for that. Then Katherine had said to Sasha that she was aware of just how Anya could gain that knowledge and experience.

“Their names are Otto and Edith Frank” Sasha said, “You know Anne already, her older sister is Margot”

Anya gulped. Sasha had made it absolutely clear that she was not being given a choice in this matter.

“You are to be polite and respectful at all times while you are a guest in their house” Sasha said, “Repeat that back to me, so that I know you understand.”

“I’m to be polite and respectful while I am a guest in their house” Anya said back. It was Katherine’s idea with Anne’s help. Sasha and Anya were to be guests of the Franks for Shabbat Dinner.

As they were let into the townhouse Anya saw that Sasha was greeted warmly and then the man of the house, presumably Otto saw her.

“So, you’re the little anti-Semite who Annelies feels we can help save from the darkness of ignorance?” Otto asked, and Anya could feel her ears burning up. It was not like she had really hated anyone, she had spoken without being aware of the consequences. Now that she had been made to think about what had been said and been made to see how those words might affect others it seemed stupid and, to use that word that kept being thrown at her, ignorant. Also, speaking without thinking was something else that Sasha had said that they were going to have to work on.

“Be nice Poppa” Anne said, “I don’t think she knew how offensive what she said was, that’s just how things still are in Russia.”

“Not just Russia” Sasha said, “Kat said that when things are good no one minds who their neighbors are, but when things start to go bad all the old troubles will come back.”

“I think there is some truth to that” Otto said, “Even if I doubt that we’ll be seeing pogroms and passion plays tolerated here like they were a century ago.”

“My sister has never been optimistic about people” Sasha said.

“Not that anyone can blame her” Anne said, “But we are all capable of learning to be better.”

Anne had no idea what Sasha had said to Anya on the subject and that comment hadn’t been directed at her. Still, she felt like she was being looked at under a microscope even if no one was paying attention to her this second.

As Anne and Sasha continued the conversation they walked towards what was presumably the dining room.

“A man wiser than I am once said that an unexamined life is not worth living” Otto said to Anya, “It looks like you are getting an earlier start on that then most.”

Wunsdorf-Zossen

Coming home to his parent’s house had been agonizing because it had involved passing within a few kilometers of where Tilo knew Nancy was living. He had not heard from her in the months since he had seen her last, the weekend was supposed to have been a romantic start for them but from the instant Nancy had gotten off the train on Saturday morning right up until she had stormed out that evening things had gone from bad to worse as the argument had grown more intense. He found out later that she had waited all night in the train station rather then spending another moment with him.

Now tonight Tilo was having a family dinner with Lenz and Karin, his intended. It was noticeable that all he felt was envy and resentment towards his family tonight. Nancy had suspected that all lines of the BND-NAA activity led directly back to his father but had been reluctant to say anything because of her connection to him. If a year earlier she had pointed that to her superiors she would have remained golden, she hadn’t, and her entire life had been upended as a result. Now, Nancy couldn’t stand the sight of him because she blamed him for what happened. It wasn’t rational, but it just was what it was and there was nothing he could do about it.

Part 72, Chapter 1052
  • Chapter One Thousand Fifty-Two

28th March 1954

Berlin

“It strikes me that the Pope should have known to keep his mouth shut” Kat said after she had finished reading the article, “Especially with everything that is going on with the Catholic Church.”

Pope Pius had put out a formal statement on “Sacred Virginity” that had caused Kat to get angry even though she wasn’t Catholic. Considering the things that had happened to her and what she had most of her girls tell her in confidence it had felt like punch to the gut. To have a willfully ignorant elderly man make a statement that suggested that…

“This upset you?” Kira asked, “Why?”

Kat realized belatedly that she probably should have kept her opinions to herself in this matter.

“It implies certain things” Kat replied, “About what gives us value and that some of us ever had a choice.”

“I see” Kira said, “You’ve not discussed this anyone else?”

“No” Kat replied, and she saw that Kira looked relieved. “And I’ve no intention to.”

“Good” Kira said, “The last thing we need is to have a repeat of the Irish mess that you were the cause of.”

That was untrue. Jack Kennedy had been the cause of that mess and Kat’s role had been in buying him time to get out of it without throwing a young woman to the wolves.

“The young woman in that, what ever became of her?” Kira asked.

“Sibéal had been living in Montreal” Kat answered, “She moved with her husband to Nova Scotia after she married and now has a new family. Two daughters according to her last letter.”

“I know it worked out that time” Kira said, “But I will not have you starting a war with the Vatican.”

“I fear that the Vatican has already started a war with its own people that has been going on for the last several years” Kat replied, “All without my help, though with what Ilse went through I have certainly wanted to inflict a lot of pain on some people in Berlin, Rome and other places.”

“How bad is it with your sister?” Kira asked.

“Ilse gets better for a while and then has a bad day” Kat said, “Usually in the form of a panic attack, the only good thing is that she can usually hold it together until she is no longer in a public space, then she is a complete wreck for the rest of the day.”

“You blame the Catholic Church for that?”

“No, not the entire Church” Kat replied, “Just a few individuals who out of neglect and malice managed to leave Ilse so traumatized that she can hardly function as an adult. The Church as an institution is shielding them.”

“Thank you” Kira said.

“What for?” Kat asked in reply.

“There was a time when you would have had a knife to the throat of Pope Pius until he agreed to do things your way” Kira said, “Apparently you’ve learned some discretion.”

“When have I ever attacked someone that high ranking directly?” Kat asked.

“There was what you did to Lavrentiy Beria” Kira said.

“I never laid a finger on him” Kat said.

“No, you didn’t” Kira said, “You made sure that his execution was an undignified nightmare after you got into his head in the moments leading up to it.”

“I would not have wanted go in there” Kat said making a face, “Inside Beria’s head would be a very gross place. I would have to put bullet through it and it would only be slightly less icky.”

“Regardless, Katherine” Kira said, “Whatever you did, never do that again.”

“Considering that the Social Democrats are seriously considering banning Capital Punishment I may never get the chance” Kat said with a pout.

Kira didn’t try to conceal her annoyance with Kat. “I just hope that the next Mistress of the Keys doesn’t have your twisted sense of humor.”

That caught Kat short. If there were a new Mistress of the Keys, then what would she be doing?

Anne was typing at her desk while Anya fidgeted. This was Gia’s idea, having Anya spend time with her especially when Gia was needed elsewhere. Django Reinhardt had asked for Gia’s help as the ghostwriter of his autobiography. The famous bandleader and guitarist had weathered changing styles and tastes managing to stay on the cutting edge of Berlin’s Jazz scene, all while keeping that scene relevant. Then last year he had suffered a cerebral bleed and had nearly died. During the long recovery, Django had ended up reflecting on his artistic legacy and personal life. He had seen the need to secure both and had asked for Gia’s help a couple weeks earlier. That had turned out to be a fulltime job for length of the project and Django had apparently led quite an eventful life, so it was going to take a while. Anne paused her work when she saw that Anya had something to say.

“I saw the Archaeopteryx in a dream last night” Anya said, “He was very silly. I asked him if he was bird or a lizard and he said; No, I am me.”

Anne was intrigued by that even if she had no idea how Anya was able to pronounce that word. That was the fossil in the Museum of Natural History that Gia had said that Anya was very taken by. As Anya waited for Anne’s response she pushed her hair out of her eyes, it had finally grown long enough for that to be a problem. In the Convent orphanage where Anya had lived they had clipped her hair short as a preventive measure against lice. It was a shame because she was an otherwise pretty girl.

“What was his name?” Anne asked.

“He told me that he didn’t need a name” Anya said, “He knows who he is.”

“He sounds like a frustrating friend.”

“He’s not that bad once you get past the introductions” Anya replied with a slight smile.

Last edited:
    Part 72, Chapter 1053
  • Chapter One Thousand Fifty-Three

1st April 1954

Potsdam

It had been a long day for Anya as she tried to keep her eyes open. She had started dance lessons and they had turned out to be harder work than anything else she had done in her life. Sasha had said they were something that she could do but only if it was what she wanted. She had leaped into it whole heartedly and discovered that it wasn’t as fun as she imagined it would be. Now she was waiting for dinner, and a chance to sleep.

“Congratulations, Anya” Sasha said as she handed Anya the thick letter that had arrived in the mail, “You are no longer an orphan according to the State.”

Fortunately, the pages were entirely in Cyrillic which was fortunate because she could read that as opposed to the frustrating German that she was getting tutored in and that wretched torture known as mathematics. Anya read down the letter that had been addressed to Sasha from the relevant State agencies in Russia and Pskov Oblast she was now officially the adopted daughter of Jehane Alexandra Lukichna Thomas-Romanova.

It was a surprise to Anya to learn that she had been born inside the Butyrka Prison in Moscow. Her mother had died there a month after Anya had been born, murdered as the collapsing regime of Stalin had ordered all prisoners liquidated in the final days before the city fell. Her father was presumed to have died the brutal battle that had been fought over prior the winter in the Penal Brigades. The last account was of him was being among the men ordered to hold trench line against the German 5th Panzer Army. A decade later Ivan Maksimov had not reemerged, the Russian State had officially declared him deceased in 1950.

It went on for page after page, the fate of every relative that Anya once had was tracked down. It was depressing reading. Her great uncle had apparently been the one to have displeased Stalin sometime in the war and over the next several months Anya’s extended family had been reduced to near extinction, Anya was the only one who was left.

“Why did you do all this?” Anya asked. Sasha had an exhaustive search conducted on Anya’s behalf.

“Because it was the right thing to do” Sasha said, “If you had anyone still out there I had to try to find them.”

Then Sasha hesitated for a second, then got up and pulled a lockbox from one of the cupboards. Opening it she pulled a small black cylinder and a paper booklet out. “I wasn’t sure if I should give these to you, but they were in the archives of the 5th Army in Posen.”

Opening the booklet, Anya saw that it was a soldier’s pay book, with a photograph of a man staring at the camera with a neutral look on his face. It was with an electric shock that she realized that this was the father she had never seen before. The black cylinder contained a scrap of paper with his particulars. However, these things represented the end of the hope that he might have been alive. The German Army wouldn’t have taken the items from a living man.

“I’m still trying to find what the NKVD had on your mother or grandparents” Sasha said apologetically, “But I was told that will take time.”

Anya was shocked, Sasha might have taken her in, but it had only been an abstract thought, temporary in nature, until that moment and Sasha had done far too much for her. It was suddenly real and stupidly Anya found that she couldn’t stop crying.

Fort Meade, Maryland

At long last Jonny was able to get his car out of storage. The months spent in the garage had not been good for it. Still, it was good to be working on his own car in the garage before driving it back to Fort Meade. As a part of their continued cover Jonny and Parker had finally been transferred from California to Maryland. Much to Parker’s despair they had been assigned to Motor Pool as soon as they had arrived on base.

“So, there we were” Jonny was saying to some of the other enlisted men who had gathered to look at Jonny’s Ford, “Driving flat out on a road in Virginia, the County Deputy Sheriffs behind us and the State Troopers ahead of us.”

“You expect me to believe that it was Parker here?” A Corporal asked, elbowing Parker in the side. “There with you?”

“I shit you not” Jonny said, “It’s true, he also lost his lunch as soon as I stopped the car.”

The assembled men laughed at that. Parker might be catching some guff now, but it would give him a bit of a reputation among these men that he was one of them despite his snooty attitude.

“What happened next?”

“We stashed the car in a barn and walked back into base” Jonny said, “I’ve no clue about what the Lawmen did, probably still looking for us.”

With that, everyone went their separate ways as quickly as they had gathered. Jonny closed the hood on the Ford because he was done explaining what he had done with the engine in the months after he had gotten back from Mexico. He noticed that Parker was still watching him.

“How do you do it?” Parker asked, “Get them to accept you like that?”

“They know I’m one of them” Jonny said, “You would see that you are too if you would ever pull that stick out of your ass. They know that you were a College boy, but rather than joining as a Lieutenant, you came in on the bottom. There is a lot of cred there for if you learn to use it.”

“You can’t be serious?” Parker asked in disbelief.

Jonny just shrugged, it wasn’t his job to make people like Parker. Still, making Parker less of a pain in the ass would probably make his life easier.

Last edited:
    Part 72, Chapter 1054
  • Chapter One Thousand Fifty-Four

10th April 1954

Baltimore, Maryland

“Pleased to finally meet you Mr. Casey” The Suit from the Ford Motor Company said when he shook Jonny’s hand, “I was told by a mutual friend you are a Ford man.”

“I’ve a 39 Coup” Jonny said happily.

“That is a good year” The Suit said, “I also heard that you are also from the Bay Area, Petaluma. I’m originally from San Francisco and went to school at UC Berkley.”

“I am from Petaluma, Sir” Jonny said, “Instead of Berkley I went to the school of hard knocks in Mexico.”

The Suit laughed at that, probably unaware that Jonny was being dead serious with that answer.

“In many ways that makes you better for this than your partner” The Suit said as he removed a folder from his briefcase and handed it to him. Inside was a color hand-bill for that German film that had come out months earlier.

“Is this a joke?” Jonny asked.

“Hardly” The Suit replied, “The German firm Volkswagen is looking to eat our lunch, we believe we can eat into their market share, but that film proves that they have the jump on us and they have a rather innovative way of advertising it. This film for example.”

Skimming through the pages Jonny saw the details of what was being highlighted. The Silk Road, a ten-thousand-kilometer race from Beijing to Berlin across every kind of landscape imaginable. He saw a three-view drawing of a compact sedan, the Anglia 100E. “What exactly are you asking me to do here?” He asked.

“We want you on our team” The Suit said, “You are known as driver and a mechanic. We can make it look like you were hired for your talents. Your friend Jamison Parker the Third, who you met in the Army, has family money that is backing your entry into the race.”

“Wait one second” Jonny asked, “What the Hell kind of name is Jamison, since when is he my friend?”

“We know that the situation has been less than ideal” The Suit said, “But it shouldn’t be too difficult with Mr. Parker back into his normal element.”

That made sense, the CIA had been setting it up so that anyone who looked into them would have seen them working in the motor pool of various Army Bases. It would be no surprise when they turned up in Beijing at the start of the race. There was one problem though…

“This is outside of the jurisdiction of my Employer” Jonny said, “Industrial espionage?”

“Not as much as you might think” The Suit said, “The woman who has been working for Volkswagen was working for the U.S. State Department. The competition, General Motors, made the mistake of spying on her and found out the hard way that she is under the protection of a rather infamous German Countess. You know the brother of that Countess, a Colonel von Mischner?”

“I met him a few times, but I would hardly say I know him” Jonny replied.

“But what did he know you as?” The Suit asked, “That might be enough to keep you from being unceremoniously booted out of Europe. For the rest, you’re just to gather information that your Agency might find useful, photographs, specs and anything else you find that will be useful to my company will be passed along accordingly.”

“What’s the catch?” Jonny asked.

“You need to figure out how to make a compact economy sedan into a convincing racecar and make sure that Mr. Parker can spell you out as a driver” The Suit replied.

“The race starts in three months” Jonny said.

“You had better get busy then” The Suit said, “The car will arrive in the garage you’ve been using in Alexandria later today. Good luck, Mr. Casey.”

Then with that the Suit left.

11th April 1954

Berlin

It was supposed to have been a quiet spring morning instead Kat had found herself dragged out of bed as two Feldwebels from the 1st Foot had been pounding on her front door until Petia had been forced to let them in. Then they had gone straight to Kat’s bedroom door which was locked and started pounding on that. While it was fortunate that she wasn’t asleep, Kat and Doug had been in the middle of something that she was unhappy to have interrupted. The two Feldwebels waited red-faced in the parlor for a few minutes while she got cleaned up and dressed. The whole time her mind was reeling with the news that they had given her. Multiple bombings in the center of Warsaw. The 1st Guard Division was on high alert and had deployed throughout the city, the two Feldwebels had been sent to retrieve her so that she could help secure the Royal family.

Once she was in the Palace, Kat learned that the Emperor had already been taken to the Command Center of 1st Guard in Potsdam when he was being briefed on the response. It was possibly one of the most secure locations in the Empire. Kira was in the hall she used in the Hohenzollern Palace to hold Court in, surrounded by armed guards as well as her Ladies in Waiting. She had ordered Kat to prepare the children to leave the palace which had turned out to be more complicated then she had thought it would be.

Kat had needed Matthias’ help to find Freddy in the kitchen eating breakfast and to her great annoyance she realized that Freddy was now taller than she was. She had tasked Freddy and Matthias with getting Michael and Louis out of bed while she braved the perils of Kiki’s suite of rooms. Opening the door, Kat saw the usual detritus of Kiki’s varied interests spilled across the floor. Lately, Kiki had been putting in an effort to keep the floor somewhat clear so that the girls could practice dancing with Prince Louis as a reluctant dance partner. She found Kiki, Aurora and Anya asleep in Kiki’s bed. As Kat helped the groggy girls get dressed and find Kiki’s glasses she asked where Zella was.

“Zella's mother saw her marks on the last algebra exam and she just exploded, so Zella is being punished” Kiki said.

Then Anya muttered something in Russian that Kat didn’t quite catch but Kiki must have.

“I don’t think that math was invented by Stalin to torture people” Kiki said mater of fact to Anya.

Last edited: