Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Hmmm. Elvis would be 20ish...so it can't be him, i mean, "boy", unless its derisive.
Elvis would be 18, soon to be 19. I initially thought that it wasn't him as well, due to his being born in Mississippi, but his family moved to Memphis in the 1940s IOTL.

Gerta's the one getting dirty looks due to the Kraut Scare.

Now to Jason’s astonishment he was getting ready to graduate with honors from BU and had been accepted into Harvard Law School. That was pretty good for a student who had read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn three times because he had to keep switching schools.

This; many times this. Dad was in the Army and one of the main manifestations of this that I remember was studying about the Spanish in Florida three years in a row.

Note: Evidently The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn hadn't been banned in the schools that Jason attended.

As I been reading other postings from other timelines the conditions for the United States to go thru a "Kraut Scare" ITTL does not exist .
IOTL the Red Scare occurred because the United States just went through a massive war against two major totalitarian powers that to the American people seem to be bent on world conquest and domination.
After the defeats of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan there was another major totalitarian power that the American people felt was bent on world domination, the USSR.
It build up with the Czechoslovakia Coup, the Berlin Airlift, the Communist victory in the Chinese Civil War, and the USSR successful atomic bomb test.
Along with a series of crippling post-war strikes that made the American people think that a new Great Depression was on the way and that would lead to a "Communist takeover" of the United States.
ITTL Germany is a liberal, capitalist, Constitutional Monarchy that just fought in two wars against two major totalitarian powers the seemed to be bent on world conquest and domination, the Soviet Union and Imperial Japan.
ITTL Germany did not make any demands for territorial gain except for regaining the territory that it lost to Japan in the Great War and they are in a process granting them their own independence. While they have Weapons of Mass Destruction it does not seam that Germany wants to conquer the world, just do business with everybody.
With that in mind, the "Kraut Scare" is in my opinion a media creation and Germans like Greta are paying too much to them and not enough to actual American people.
There has also been a misreading on the apparent slowdown in the racial violence that has plagued the United States for almost ten years now, there is apparently an economic boom going on right now and that has ways of papering over the tensions going on right now, but it is still a powder keg that a random spark can set it off without warning.

"Gentlemen", the CIA offficer said: "This is your new ride.",pointing at a orange colored car with a certain red and blue flag on top. "You will from this point be known as the Duke brothers."

Sadly, I cannot imagine Nancy Jensen being their controlling officer under the moniker 'Daisy', but man, that would be fun!

Note: Evidently The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn hadn't been banned in the schools that Jason attended.

In the 1950s? I wouldn't think so.

From what I've gathered the carping about proper spelling and grammar and word choices started almost immediately after publication. Yeah, I'm kinda picky about it when in the author's voice but dialogue is a whole 'nother thing.

From what I've gathered the carping about proper spelling and grammar and word choices started almost immediately after publication. Yeah, I'm kinda picky about it when in the author's voice but dialogue is a whole 'nother thing.

So what I'm hearing is that Grammar Nazis have been around for a long time. Do you suppose that they were Grammar Despots then?

Part 71, Chapter 1039
Chapter One Thousand Thirty-Nine

12th December 1953

Langley, Virginia

“I think you would only get yourself killed if you tried” Jonny said, “Or thrown into a very dark hole.”

“You have a better idea” Parker asked.

“No but trying to pretend you are anything other than you are is stupid and no one can go native” Jonny replied, “The most successful man that the Krauts have that we know of, this Colonel Schultz, personifies the stereotype of the beer swilling Bavarian promoting international sports, Soccer of all things. Yet he supposedly ran circles around the OSS and FBI for years.”

It was a lesson that they had all been given about how other nations conducted themselves. The Germans, French and British had all been active in the United States for years but seldom had their activities been found out. The exposure of Johann Schultz had revealed damage to American security that they were still trying to come to grips with. The idea that their nuclear program had been subverted to the extent that it had basically ceased to exist was one of those things. That information had leaked out in recent months, but the blame had been focused on foreign actors. If the public had taken the time to understand the reasons for what had happened they wouldn’t have been angry with a foreign government, they would have been angry with the so-called leadership in Washington. Then, most people weren’t as cynical as Jonny was. He understood that covering their asses was the real game of politicians and that most people found it easier to blame some foreign other. He knew better, having seen it play itself out in Mexico.

Now Jonny was waiting with the rest of the first graduating class of Farm for assignment, playing cards in the recreation room. Parker, who had passed largely because of Jonny dragging him over the finish line was here, much to Jonny’s annoyance. Tomorrow, Jonny was planning on flying home to California and not thinking about the CIA until he got back just after New Year’s Day.

“So, that is what you think?” Edger, one of the other college boys asked.

“That is what I know” Jonny said, “Save the disguises, cloak and dagger claptrap for the movies.”

“Until you need it” Parker said.

“Naturally” Jonny said, “All I care about is getting the job done and getting home in one piece.”

“That and fast cars” Edger said.

“And don’t forget the beautiful women” Jonny said, which had them laughing.

13th December 1953

Berlin

Coming to the open-air Christmas markets had become a tradition for the royal children. It had started with Freddy and Gia years earlier, these days that included Mikey and Kiki as well. Kiki wished that Zella and Aurora could have come today but Zella was in Jena helping her grandmother move and Aurora had said that she wasn’t interested.

“See anything you like Whippet?” Freddy asked.

“No” Kiki said. She wished that her brothers wouldn’t call her that. The air had an overwhelming smell of ginger and cinnamon. Kiki was looking at the baked goods in their boxes. The Baker was a huge man, about as wide as he was tall. He hid it, but Kiki knew that the vendors didn’t care for the interruption that resulted from their security. Freddy and Mikey seemed obvious of that. That was unless they bought something, then the vendors were happy for the free publicity. The baker was absolutely buoyant when she bought a dozen boxes of pepper cakes from him, Kiki figured that she would be able to give them away to her classmates that week. He insisted that Kiki take a pepper cake for herself and a paper cup of hot apple cider. As she followed her brothers nibbling on the pepper cake enjoying the taste of almonds and ginger and enjoying the warmth of the cider that was still hot enough to burn her tongue. She saw that Freddy had stopped in front of a stall that sold woolen scarves.

“Hey Whippet” Freddy said, “This is where I bought that scarf for you.”

Kiki blinked for a few seconds, her grey and white scarf, she’d had it forever and remembered that Freddy had given it too her years earlier. These days it was tattered and stained but she still wore it because it was her favorite.

Freddy bought a new scarf, with rich burgundy and forest green stripes. “This one will work too Kiki” He said as he handed it to Kiki only to see a flash of light as someone took a picture of the exchange. The woman who made the scarves was delighted to know that Kiki had been using something she had made for years.

“You’re supposed to wait for Christmas Eve for that” Gia said.

Freddy just shrugged, “I don’t see the point in waiting” He replied.

With that they kept walking. Outside the security cordon was the usual assortment of Journalists and Photographers. It was the sort of thing that made Kiki envy her friends who could lead normal lives.

As they walked back to the cars that would take them to the next market. Kiki found herself next to Gia, and she was starting to understand this woman who was a distant cousin. All Gia had ever wanted was an anonymous life and career. It was something that Gia had when the world had thought that she was dead. Is that really what it took?

Last edited:
So what I'm hearing is that Grammar Nazis have been around for a long time. Do you suppose that they were Grammar Despots then?

I believe that they, as many others before and since once became dissastified with the status quo and decided to become grammar revultionaries.
But as the way to hell is paved with good intentions, they then, sometime later crowned themselves and became grammar tyrants. The strict adherence to certain authoritarian ideologies seems to be a more recent thing.

Jonny and Parker are two representatives of an export-import firm that wants to set up a chain of dealerships in the United States that sells European automobiles from high end luxury cars to the more affordable models.
This allows them to travel across Europe and gets them access to offices and factories that not only makes cars but also those same companies make military vehicles and Jonny can sneak in and steal the plans for them.
Jonny with his Iron Cross will have doors open for him and his abilities to make friends with everyone and anywhere will make it easier for him to carry out his missions.
Parker is the one that meets with suites while Jonny is testing out what the cars can do.

Jonny and Parker are two representatives of an export-import firm that wants to set up a chain of dealerships in the United States that sells European automobiles from high end luxury cars to the more affordable models.
This allows them to travel across Europe and gets them access to offices and factories that not only makes cars but also those same companies make military vehicles and Jonny can sneak in and steal the plans for them.
Jonny with his Iron Cross will have doors open for him and his abilities to make friends with everyone and anywhere will make it easier for him to carry out his missions.
Parker is the one that meets with suites while Jonny is testing out what the cars can do.

This depends on how public Jonny's arrest and agreement with the DA was. If it's in the public record that he re-enlisted in the Army they will need to discharge him again for his cover. You can be sure that as soon as he sets foot in Europe the Germans will have someone checking if he is still in the Army or not assuming they don't already know. From everything that happened I always thought he was going to be a more overt agent. Smash and grab is more his style and that is not something you want undercover officers doing. It would be a much better use of his skills to scout out and infiltrate German overseas facilities and operations.

I believe that they, as many others before and since once became dissastified with the status quo and decided to become grammar revultionaries.
But as the way to hell is paved with good intentions, they then, sometime later crowned themselves and became grammar tyrants. The strict adherence to certain authoritarian ideologies seems to be a more recent thing.

I'll admit to being a rather strict prescriptivist in the matter of spelling and word choices in most things. However, I find that @Peabody-Martini's text has a piquant je ne sais quoi. I've PMed him over things such as 'ventral' instead of 'dorsal' (on the bottom or top of an airplane) but I've resisted remarking about anything less important.

Edit: I'm kinda-sorta coming to a grudging acceptance of the usage of 'their' as a singular gender-neutral pronoun.

Last edited:
This depends on how public Jonny's arrest and agreement with the DA was. If it's in the public record that he re-enlisted in the Army they will need to discharge him again for his cover. You can be sure that as soon as he sets foot in Europe the Germans will have someone checking if he is still in the Army or not assuming they don't already know. From everything that happened I always thought he was going to be a more overt agent. Smash and grab is more his style and that is not something you want undercover officers doing. It would be a much better use of his skills to scout out and infiltrate German overseas facilities and operations.

He might be the "Look at me, I'm an obvious spy" type distraction, while others actually do the espionage. Particularly as the American spies to this point have been obvious bumbling oafs. All of the sudden having all of the American bungling spies disappear would alert the sundry foreign agencies that something is amiss. So Johny is a distraction, and if need be, an extraction asset with his insane driving ability.

I'll admit to being a rather strict prescriptivist in the matter of spelling and word choices in most things. However, I find that @Peabody-Martini's text has a piquant je ne sais quoi. I've PMed him over things such as 'ventral' instead of 'dorsal' (on the bottom or top of an airplane) but I've resisted remarking about anything less important.

I'm willing to let things go that are clearly the narration of a character we're following. We're often given information from the perspective of the characters, who don't know anything about the distinctions. The unreliable narrator makes it difficult to figure things out at times, but that makes for an excellent story.

They pity the lesser grammared but cannot respect them...as befits the relationship of Grammar God and peon.

They pity the lesser grammared but cannot respect them...as befits the relationship of Grammar God and peon.

The impact and importance of the message is affected by the quality of the message itself. At worst it becomes 'Bless his heart, he's doing the best he can.'

Part 71, Chapter 1040
Chapter One Thousand Forty

31st December 1953

Berlin

Kat could have gone out tonight, but she hadn’t felt up to it. Instead she was laying in her bed completely filled with self-loathing while she listened to the party that was going on downstairs. She had broken every promise she had made to herself in recent days. At eight O’clock, on the morning of the first of January a Lockheed Constellation cargo plane flown by Air France would be the last scheduled flight to depart Tempelhof Airfield. A few hours later, at noon local time the land that Tempelhof had sat on would be sold by the City State of Berlin to a small group of investors who had agreed to develop the land for the benefit of the entire city. Kat knew the truth, the investors were herself, Douglas and Gia. Gert, Aunt Marcella, Uncle Klaus, Petia and all the girls were minority stake holders. Kat had wanted to get to get the girls in on the deal because while she could shield them from consequences if the deal went badly, she wanted them to be able to reap the rewards if it went well.

Still though, Kat had hated how she had used her social standing to be first in line to purchase the land. She had allowed Douglas and Gia to talk her into it and had nearly burst into tears the instant she left the room after signing the paperwork, it was all she needed people to see. The reality was that despite her best efforts, Kat knew she wasn’t a good person.

“You are not just depressed this time, are you?” Ilse asked from the doorway.

“More like disgusted” Kat replied as Ilse walked across the room and sat down on the chair that was at Doug’s desk.

“You aren’t perfect” Ilse said, “And sometimes your priorities are off kilter.”

“You are only saying that because one of the proposals you’ve seen is for a new environmental science building for the University of Berlin” Kat said.

“Along with the rest of what will become Humboldt University” Ilse replied, “You made a point of that being a part of the final deal.”

What Ilse was talking about was the master plan that had been submitted to the State about what they intended to do with the land if it was sold to them. A new campus for the City’s University system, dedicated to the Sciences and Liberal Arts. The balance of the land was to be used for a mixture of residential and commercial purposes. Row houses, high rise apartment tenements, markets, spaces for shops and other small businesses. There was also going to be parks, schools, a library and a hospital. While Kat was under no illusions about this being a utopia, it would be a nice place to live and work.

“You think I’m being unreasonable too?” Kat asked.

“No” Ilse replied, “I just think that we allow our doubts and fears to control us too often.”

Kat heard what Ilse had just said, Ilse didn’t exclude herself from that. “We’re cursed, I guess” She said.

“No, we just don’t always see our blessings” Ilse said as she got up from the chair and pulled Kat’s dressing gown off its hook on the back of the door. “Your family would like you to come down before midnight if you are not going to be sleeping.”

Kat looked at Ilse, she had to know that Kat would probably be unable to sleep tonight with everything that was going on.

“I’ll come down” Kat said as she swung her legs out of the bed, “But don’t expect me to be great company.”

“No one will care” Ilse replied.

Fort Cronkhite, Marin Headlands, California

This was Jonny’s cover, he had gone home over Christmas and then had gotten orders sending him to 6th Coastal Artillery and Battery Townsley. Despite the obsolescence of the battery the 6th was perfectly prepared to say that the sixteen-inch guns dug into the ridge above the Fort were more than prepared to reduce to scrap any ship the Japanese or their German allies might send to force their way through the Golden Gate.

The support troops who worked in the motor pool with Jonny knew what the real score was. They had asked him who he had pissed off to get sent here on the first day. Still, it was a bit of a bother, Jonny’s car was presently being stored in Alexandrea, Virginia and he had no idea when he might be able to retrieve it. He was supposed to stay at Fort Cronkhite until he got further orders. Still, it wasn’t all bad, the beach was nice. There was also the amusing detail that the day after Jonny’s father had dropped him off at the Enlisted Barracks, Parker had arrived wearing the uniform of a Private First Class. The college boy had realized too late that in a place like Fort Cronkhite a Technical Sergeant like Jonny was the right hand of God. Parker was going to earn that stripe, with interest if he had anything to say about it. That had made the last few days enjoyable as Jonny had made the motor pool the cleanest and best organized on the West Coast. In the perverse way of the Army, the bigger a hardass Jonny was with the enlisted, including Parker, the happier the Brass was with him. To the point of talking about making him a First Sergeant sometime next year provided that the CIA didn’t call him away in the meantime.

As midnight approached Jonny was sitting on the beach in the warm glow of the lights of San Francisco that were reflected off the clouds with a nice beer buzz going. There were driftwood bonfires burning up and down the beach as the enlisted celebrated the new year. It was an incredible scene.

Last edited:
At no one's requests some predictions for 1954:
The unintended consequences of the economic boom in the Northern and Western United States will bring a renewal of racial violence as both whites and blacks from the South move to were the jobs are.
With the various States and municipalities passing and enforcing fair housing laws that prohibits discrimination, whites from the South will object to living next to blacks, Hispanics, and other minorities and will use violence against them.
Also southern whites will attack minorities in parks, schools, and other public places (just like OTL).
With electronics being more advanced ITTL the first working prototype of communication satellites will be tested, but without the means of lifting them into space they will be lifted by high altitude balloons to see if they work, this will spur a space race to develop launch vehicles, in that vein Great Britain and France will join together in developing rockets, (IOTL British scientists played a very important part in the American space program).He
RCA will prefect the technology for color television and transmission of color television signals (this will be a few years ahead of OTL).

My predictions for 1954:
Nancy and Tilo will spend another 12 months boxing round each other and still not get together.

The German Green Party will launch but with a much more centerist approach than OTL, I would expect that Baron Von Richthofen will be an early patron. And that the first environmental laws in Germany will be proposed.

Jonny will get sent to Germany by the CIA, probably as a race car driver or mechanic and while the BII and BND will suspect something, they'll believe that he's too obvious to be a spy. Schultz will chuckle about this and quietly warn Jonny off.