Stonewall Jackson Dead in August of 1862

During the Northern Virginia Campaign, Stonewall Jackson came extremely close to death. On August 26, at Manassas Junction, a Union soldier aimed directly at Jackson and fired, but missed his shot. But let's say the bullet finds its mark and Jackson dies nine months early. What would be the effects of his early death? Could Pope pull off a win at Second Bull Run? If not, how would further campaigns be affected?

Jackson was Lee's most aggressive commander, I think if he was killed earlier, it would have affected many different battles. I mean the battle of Gettysburg is a perfect example. Because of just one slip up on Lee's orders to Ewell the Army of the Potomac held the heights.

Jackson was Lee's most aggressive commander, I think if he was killed earlier, it would have affected many different battles. I mean the battle of Gettysburg is a perfect example. Because of just one slip up on Lee's orders to Ewell the Army of the Potomac held the heights.
Maybe Lee doesn't invade the North in September, or if he does, the attack on Harper's Ferry might go worse, which might buy time for the Union to relieve the garrison. That would throw things off.

Maybe Lee doesn't invade the North in September, or if he does, the attack on Harper's Ferry might go worse, which might buy time for the Union to relieve the garrison. That would throw things off.
Lee not invading in September might actually be better for the CSA. McClellan is not likely to go south again soon. A stalemate on the most critical front through the end of ‘62 likely means worse electoral performance for Republicans and Unionists in the midterms, and the international observers (UK and France) could see the war as unwinnable by other side and suggest a negotiated peace.

Lee not invading in September might actually be better for the CSA. McClellan is not likely to go south again soon. A stalemate on the most critical front through the end of ‘62 likely means worse electoral performance for Republicans and Unionists in the midterms, and the international observers (UK and France) could see the war as unwinnable by other side and suggest a negotiated peace.
Not launching a failed invasion would benefit the CSA. The invasion of Kentucky still failing might hurt a little, but the Eastern front always got more attention.

With no Antietam, Little Mac stays in command much longer "rebuilding."

Lee needs to decide who will command half his army. DH Hill would be an obvious choice, but Lee heavily favored Virginians. If Ewell is still wounded a Second Bull Run, probably AP Hill, who is still greenish.
Wild card: Lee asked OTL for Kirby Smith after Perryville. Your two corps commanders could be Longstreet and Kirby smith.

Something relevant to this (linked for data on dates of rank and the other things it brings up as factors - respect of their men, a proven record, and Lee's own trust in them ):
http://www.madminutegames.com/MadMinuteBB/viewtopic.php?t=7477 "If not Jackson, then who?" This is deciding as of post Seven Days, not in August, but seniority hasn't changed.

David R. Jones never amounted to much of a name OTL, but he is senior to both Hills. Ignoring that runs into that - with A.P. Hill serving under Longstreet is a Bad Idea for personal relationship reasons - putting juniors over seniors, which Lee didn't exactly make a habit of.

Is it a not-great option? Well, yes. And he might not live much longer than OTL, if any. But he should at least be mentioned.

Personally I'd rather have Harvey Hill than Kirby Smith, but first Lee has to manage Pope and September decisions.

Last edited:
I agree that DH Hill would be better than Kirby Smith. I think Lee and Davis held Smith in higher regard. Hill had...personality issue after all.

I'm not sure how personality-wise Smith would have been as a subordinate, but there really would only be one way to find out. How far did Lee asking for him go OTL as far as communicating with Davis?

From what I remember, he told Davis that when Smith recovered from his Manassas wound he wanted him. Davis thought enough of him to give him the East Tennessee command instead. Without an obvious second corps commander, both could agree Smith is the best man instead of sending him to the Trans Mississippi.

I think that's one of the myths about Gettysburg, that the northern end of the ridge was Ewell's for the taking on the evening of July 1. Strong Union forces were on, or near the north end of Cemetery Ridge, and Culps Hill at the time. The climb up is very steep, and heavily wooded. It would've been very hard to haul guns up those hills coming from the north, while the Union held roads leading to them from the east. Union XII Corps was coming down that road and would've counterattacked into the night to take those hills back if necessary.

So, yes if Ewell had tried to storm the hills south of Gettysburg that evening, the character of the battle would have changed, but not necessarily for the better for the South. It would've become a bitter battle of attrition fought on the worst terrain on the whole battlefield.

I think that's one of the myths about Gettysburg, that the northern end of the ridge was Ewell's for the taking on the evening of July 1. Strong Union forces were on, or near the north end of Cemetery Ridge, and Culps Hill at the time. The climb up is very steep, and heavily wooded. It would've been very hard to haul guns up those hills coming from the north, while the Union held roads leading to them from the east. Union XII Corps was coming down that road and would've counterattacked into the night to take those hills back if necessary.

So, yes if Ewell had tried to storm the hills south of Gettysburg that evening, the character of the battle would have changed, but not necessarily for the better for the South. It would've become a bitter battle of attrition fought on the worst terrain on the whole battlefield.
Yeah but that's Ewell. If Jackson had survived he probably would have tried to take those heights no matter what.

Yeah but that's Ewell. If Jackson had survived he probably would have tried to take those heights no matter what.
You might be right. Our view of Gettysburg is somewhat scoured for many of us in the popular culture because of the "Killer Angles" perspective of Colonel Chamberland. The focus is usually on Little Round Top on the second day, and Picket's Charge on the third. It neglects at least two other vital actions. First the main part of Longstreet's attack on July 2, which caused the collapse of the Union 3rd Corps. Dan Sickles had moved his Corps out of a good defensive position forward into the vulnerable position in the "Peach Orchard" just in time to be hit broadside by Longstreet's attack. This rout almost cost the Union control of Cemetery Ridge, causing what was really the biggest crisis for the Union Army during the whole three-day battle at Gettysburg.

The other action was the heavy fighting on Culps Hill, and the northern end of Cemetery Ridge on July 2-3rd. If you ever get a chance to visit the battlefield, please take time to see that area, and then you will understand just how tough it would've been to take those hills from a determined enemy. It is far worse than the push up the rear of Little Round Top. The ground is steeper, more broken, and heavily wooded. Again, it was very difficult for the CSA troops to haul any guns up those hills. The Confederates were also pushing into the main position of the Union Army, which held the interior lines, so they were able to bring most of the army to bear against the Southern assault. They were in fact hitting the Union where it was strongest, and on the most defensible terrain of the whole battlefield.

The Union used in whole or in part 11th, 12th, and 6th Corps to hold, and then push the Confederates off that decisive ground. Meade knew that if he lost that area the whole position would be untenable, and the army would have to retreat, probably to the Pipe Creek position across the border in Maryland. Disengaging after losing the northern end of the "Fishhook" would be difficult at best, and more likely very hazardous for half of the Army of the Potomac. The blow to Union moral would be as serious as the material loses, and the Confederates would feel themselves invincible by winning a major victory in Union territory. Consequentially Meade would do everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

The Confederates lost that action, and suffered heavy losses doing it, and received little historical credit for their valor, which was as great as the men who engaged in Picket's Charge. That is also to say the valor of the Union men who stood their ground is also largely forgotten because of the obsession with Little Round Top.

Ironically, Sickles would be awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2nd. Which he did while disobeying orders. Also, rarely mentioned, is the Calvary engagement just east of Gettysburg, between George Custer and Wade Hampton.

Ironically, Sickles would be awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2nd. Which he did while disobeying orders. Also, rarely mentioned, is the Calvary engagement just east of Gettysburg, between George Custer and Wade Hampton.
Hero Sickles is something I hadn't considered. And that's right, nobody talks about the fight at Cavalry Field, even though it was just as important as Pickett's Charge.

Just to throw some weird wildcard into the mix.....and possibly very unliky...

How would Joe Johnstone or P G T Beauregard do as a corps commander under Lee do at this moment?

The sound of a pen ripping through paper is the sound of them being not unreasonably about being assigned as mere corps commanders, and that's before getting into anything on their abilities.