The day is May 15, 1957. MGM have decided to shutter their animation studio. The creators of their massively popular Tom & Jerry series, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, are left unemployed. They decided to form their own studio, aptly named Hanna-Barbera. They originally asked MGM to distribute their new projects but they refused. However, Columbia's Screen Gems were willing to give the two animators a shot and they became their distributor.

HB's new studio would produce both theatrical and televised animation. Columbia already had UPA so they advised Hanna and Barbera to focus on television at least for the first few years. Their first series, the Ruff and Reddy Show premiered in 1957. The show aired with 90 7 minute shorts produced. However, the show was a failure in the ratings. To this day, only 67 shorts are available with the others having become lost media. Screen Gems however weren't too angered by the performance. They gave HB a sizable budget to produce a second series for the next year. That year, HB's televised career would change forever with a blue dog, a pic-a-nic basket loving bear, and a cat that hates Meeces to pieces...

(shoutouts to @TheFaultsofAlts for the title)

Last edited:
The Huckleberry Hound Show
The Huckleberry Hound Show

The Huckleberry Hound Show | Hanna-Barbera Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
1958-1961
Episodes: 68 episodes
Voices: Daws Butler, Don Messick, Doug Young, Julie Bennett
Segments: Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear (1958-1960), Pixie & Dixie & Mr. Jinks, Hokey Wolf (1960-1961)

The Huckleberry Hound Show was HB's second TV series. It was a series consisting of three different segments (one of which was swapped out midway through it's run).

The series was sponsored by Kellogg's and their Corn Flakes brand. They would go on to sponsor a few other HB shows in the future. (which ones? Find out later)

The Segments:
Huckleberry Hound: A blue dog with a southern drawl who takes the role of an everyman. He goes around the world going from job to job. Throughout the whole thing he keeps the same monotone reactions and the same butchered rendition of "Oh My Darling Clementine"

Pixie & Dixie & Mr. Jinks: In a series somewhat derivative of Tom & Jerry, two mice named Pixie and Dixie get involved in antics with the cat Jinks. Jinks "hates those meeces to pieces" and often tries to get rid of them, always unsuccessfully. The pair form a somewhat symbiotic relationship though and Jinks relies on Pixie and Dixie to not be thrown out. While similar in premise to Tom & Jerry (albeit with two mice) the series carved out it's own take on the concept.

Yogi Bear: Yogi is a picnic basket stealing bear who lives at Jellystone National Park. He is accompanied by his sidekick Boo Boo and sometimes by his girlfriend Cindy Bear. The local park ranger Smith always tries to keep Yogi in check but he can never fully stop his antics. Yogi was a smash hit among audiences. While Huck was meant to be the main attraction with Pixie & Dixie and Yogi as secondary players, Yogi manages to match Huck and even surpass him in popularity (Huck was still very popular). He was so popular that in 1960, he was taken off Huck and given his own show. To replace Yogi we got...

Hokey Wolf: In a replacement to the Yogi segments, we got Hokey Wolf. Hokey, along with his sidekick Ding-A-Ling, partook in schemes to outsmart others in order to take advantage of them. The con artist Hokey served as an acceptable, but not amazing replacement on the show. He still showed up for crossover series but was by far less popular than Huck, Yogi, or even Pixie & Dixie.

The series was a massive hit for Hanna-Barbera. Huck and Yogi became instant pop culture icons. The series also became the first TV animated series to win an Emmy award, solidifying the Huckleberry Hound Show as a resounding critical and audience hit. Screen Gems bet had payed off and now HB had free rein to basically do whatever they wanted.

Last edited:
Cool!

Is there a specific POD to this TL? Or are these posts just background material?

Either way, consider me intrigued....
In terms of Hanna-Barbera, things are just kinda different and why is kinda up to whatever you want. However, in terms of stuff outside of HB, there are some pretty big and clear PODs (things don't come in for non-HB animation until the mid-late 60s which has one fundamental change). We still have a couple more shows to get through before changes really start with HB.

Last edited:
The QuickDraw McGraw Show
The QuickDraw McGraw Show
The Quick Draw McGraw Show - Cartoon Network Wiki - The TOONS Wiki
1959-1961
Episodes: 45 episodes
Voices: Daws Butler, Doug Young
Segments: Quick Draw McGraw, Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy, Snooper and Blabber

After the smash hit of The Huckleberry Hound Show, Hanna-Barbera went on to make their second series. It would be yet another package series revolving around three different segments. The series would also be their second distributed by Screen Gems and sponsored by Kellogg's

The Segments

Quick Draw McGraw: Quick Draw is the sheriff horse of the old west. He is accompanied by his donkey sidekick Baba Looey. Quickdraw's dim witted behavior is counteracted by Baba Looey who tries to talk sense to him (and fails). Baba Looey always however makes sure that the day is saved in the end. Quick Draw also had his alter ego "El Kabong" who would attack foes with a guitar to the head. As the titular segment of the show, Quick Draw was the most popular segment of the show.

Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy: An idea Hanna and Barbera had previously expiremented at MGM with Spike and Tyke, Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy paired wise dad Doggie Daddy with his young son Augie. They would go on wacky misadventures as Augie learned about the world. The series was a wholesome one and was at times more popular with parents than their children. It still ended up being considered a core series of classic Hanna-Barbera.

Snooper and Blabber: Cats and mice are known to be enemies (as seen in HB's prior outings Tom & Jerry and Pixie & Dixie) but Snooper and Blabber served as an exception to the rule. The smart cat Snooper and his loyal ally Blabber worked together to solve mysteries as detectives. Snooper & Blabber was by far the least popular of the QuickDraw segments. In spite of this, the characters would still be regulars in crossover series.

The QuickDraw McGraw Show would be another hit for Hanna-Barbera. While not as big as Huck, QuickDraw was still a massive hit. Hanna-Barbera basically held TV animation with an iron grip. There was Rocky & Bullwinkle from Jay Ward but he didn't have the massive backing and distributor support HB had. Total Television was founded this year by people who made advertisements for General Mills (HB sponsor Kellogg's rival) but who knows if they will be able to match the quality and output of Hanna-Barbera. Theatrical-focused studios like Warner, Disney, and Lantz have not made TV series outside of packages of pre-existing shorts and live action content. The only studio venturing into TV is Terrytoons, and I don't think Deputy Dawg is going to be a threat for HB.

Last edited:
Hot dang, a timeline where Hanna-Barbera catches better breaks than IRL? I'm interested.

Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros., and MGM were like my education in classic animation from watching Cartoon Network in childhood.

Hot dang, a timeline where Hanna-Barbera catches better breaks than IRL? I'm interested.

Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros., and MGM were like my education in classic animation from watching Cartoon Network in childhood.
As a lifelong CN fan myself, this is something I have wanted to make for a good while. This TL won't be a wank though. Like things are a lot better at HB but they aren't OP and will have serious competition come the late 60s. HB is the focus but we are getting a general "televised animation in the 70s and 80s is better" instead of any specific company being wanked or something

This looks very interesting! Can’t wait to see where this goes.

You said in the Pop Culture Timelines Go-To thread that this timeline is collaborative? If so, I would like to share some ideas I have.

As a lifelong CN fan myself, this is something I have wanted to make for a good while. This TL won't be a wank though. Like things are a lot better at HB but they aren't OP and will have serious competition come the late 60s. HB is the focus but we are getting a general "televised animation in the 70s and 80s is better" instead of any specific company being wanked or something
No worries, I didn't expect a wank, haha. I only have one idea that I can suggest later on, but that's like far later on, in the 1990s. If you're interested I can private message it. XD

This looks very interesting! Can’t wait to see where this goes.

You said in the Pop Culture Timelines Go-To thread that this timeline is collaborative? If so, I would like to share some ideas I have.
Basically everything is fair game unless it's something massive affecting Hanna-Barbera or something like that. We are in 1959 right now for context

Right now you are reliving my peak TV childhood! Although as a Chicagoan I was always struck by how much coach Lovie Smith sounded like Huckleberry Hound!

Right now you are reliving my peak TV childhood! Although as a Chicagoan I was always struck by how much coach Lovie Smith sounded like Huckleberry Hound!
Huck was one of the only major HB characters of that period who's voice wasn't modeled after a famous actor. Daws Butler based the voice off his old neighbor. Some people think it's based off Andy Griffith but Daws actually did the voice before Griffith became famous

Sports in 1960
Before we get to a certain prehistoric family, let's do a post on what sports leagues look like as of 1960 (our first non-cartoon post!)

NFL
Eastern Conference: Browns, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Cardinals, Redskins
Western Conference: Colts, Bears, Dallas Texans, Lions, Packers, Rams, 49ers
AFL
East: Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills, Houston Rangers, New York Titans
West: Phoenix Firebirds, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders

The AFL played it's first season this year. The league was spurred by a group of owners who wanted to start a rival to the NFL. The Eagles won the 1960 NFL Championship and the Rangers became the inaugural AFL Champions.

MLB
NL: Cubs, Reds, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants
AL: Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Athletics, Yankees, Senators

The MLB, long known for stability, was shaken to it's core in 1958 when the Dodgers and Giants left New York for the West Coast. MLB plan on adding 2 new teams. They are the Minnesota Twins and the Houston Astros. The ailing Senators are planning on moving to Toronto, Canada to become the Toronto Beavers. The MLB plan to counter this and the anger in NYC? TWO MORE TEAMS. Meet the New York Mets and the Washington Federals!

1962 MLB
NL: Cubs, Reds, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants, Twins, Mets
AL: Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Athletics, Yankees, Beavers, Astros, Federals

NBA
East: Celtics, Warriors, Nationals, Knicks
West: Hawks, Lakers, Pistons, Royals

The NBA also has an expansion team planned for 1961: the Chicago Bulls, who will play in the Western Conference. But the real news is the fact that THE PHILADELPHIA WARRIORS ARE HEADING TO SAN FRANCISCO. In response, the Syracuse Nationals head to Philly and become the 76ers. The NBA also announces the Bulls Eastern Conference counterpart will be the Pittsburgh Condors (the Warriors and Royals will swap conferences for the time being)

NBA 1962
East: Celtics, Royals, 76ers, Knicks, Condors
West: Hawks, Lakers, Pistons, Warriors, Bulls

NHL
Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Rangers, Bruins

The NHL has no current expansion plans. They probably will in the next few years but nothing right now. We are sticking with the Original Six for a few more years

Last edited:
Cool! I also grew up with them as well, especially in the 2010s, hence my disappointment in the state of the network.
I wanna get invited too.
Right.

The Flintstones
The Flintstones
The Flintstones - Memorable TV Photo (36194906) - Fanpop
1960-1966
Episodes: 166 episodes
Voices: Alan Reed, Jean Vander Pyl, Mel Blanc, Bea Benaderet (S1-S4), Gerry Johnson (S5-S6), Don Messick, John Stevenson, Harvey Korman (S6)
Hanna-Barbera had a winning formula with their multi-segment package series with The Huckleberry Hound Show and The QuickDraw McGraw Show. However, HB weren't willing to limit themselves to one type of show. They came up with an idea to create an animated prime time sitcom. They took the hit Honeymooners format from Jackie Gleason (who didn't go after Hanna-Barbera because he didn't want to be known as "The man who took Fred Flintstone off the air") and adapted it to a stone age setting.

I don't think anyone reading this needs to know what the Flintstones is about.

The show was a hit and by hit I mean HIT in all caps. It was a phenomenon. Around season 3 and the birth of Pebbles it was the number 1 show on all of television. The Flintstones-Jetsons hour on ABC dominated television. Hanna and Barbera had proven that they could create varied programming instead of just the funny animal series they were known for. The best part for them? Their reign of dominance had just started...

Our next three HB-related posts will see a friendly wolf, Yogi Bear going solo, and a certain scheming alley cat. (and HB will start deviating from OTL a bit but not too much)

1. IDK how this timeline will end. Maybe I will go all the way up to present day. I will probably think about it once we get to the mid-00s

2. Just message me I welcome it
The Flintstones
The Flintstones - Memorable TV Photo (36194906) - Fanpop
1960-1966
Episodes: 166 episodes
Voices: Alan Reed, Jean Vander Pyl, Mel Blanc, Bea Benaderet (S1-S4), Gerry Johnson (S5-S6), Don Messick, John Stevenson, Harvey Korman (S6)
Hanna-Barbera had a winning formula with their multi-segment package series with The Huckleberry Hound Show and The QuickDraw McGraw Show. However, HB weren't willing to limit themselves to one type of show. They came up with an idea to create an animated prime time sitcom. They took the hit Honeymooners format from Jackie Gleason (who didn't go after Hanna-Barbera because he didn't want to be known as "The man who took Fred Flintstone off the air") and adapted it to a stone age setting.

I don't think anyone reading this needs to know what the Flintstones is about.

The show was a hit and by hit I mean HIT in all caps. It was a phenomenon. Around season 3 and the birth of Pebbles it was the number 1 show on all of television. The Flintstones-Jetsons hour on ABC dominated television. Hanna and Barbera had proven that they could create varied programming instead of just the funny animal series they were known for. The best part for them? Their reign of dominance had just started...

Our next three HB-related posts will see a friendly wolf, Yogi Bear going solo, and a certain scheming alley cat. (and HB will start deviating from OTL a bit but not too much)
Cool!