Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Not was more thinking if the Western Allies beat them here in taking most of Germany given how British and Commonwealth forces have performed as well and holding on a great degree in a number of theatres as well as the introduction of US industrial capacity, I can see Britain and the USA as well as others as has been pointed out, pushing out as far as the German border as well as hitting Cezhlovakia and Austria as well as maybe a rump of Poland.

If the USSR is unable to take what is left of the German Technical and industrial base in the East, to say nothing of what may be in Austria and Cezhlovakia, at the time I have to think it will affect their rebuilding and to an extension the cold war since they won't be able to loot the German industry in the east as well as losing out of the Cezh technical skills as well as what they can steal from both Austria and Cezhlovakia. They also lose out on the knowledge they gained from lugging various scientists to Russia.
Soviets are going to get a lot of the stuff parked in East Prussia to keep it out of Allied bomber range, unless the Western Allies do something really weird in Norway and roll south and east from there, regardless of whether General Mark Clark decides to pay the blood-price to take Berlin to give himself and the USA a victory parade through the Brandenberg Gate. Peenemünde is probably sufficiently far east that the Soviets are going to get that too. Even if the Soviets miss out on research held in Berlin, there's a lot going in the east they can and likely will get, with the current points of departure.

And as far as I can see, the Western Allies aren't getting any of Poland, if they rely on the original timeline landings and advances through France. The main part of Germany is in the way, and Hitler will pull troops from the east and let the Soviets have Poland if the Western Allies are lined up on the Rhine. Hitler was more than happy to throw reserves against the Western Allies in an offensive in the Ardennes in December 1944 when the Allies were starting to line up along the Rhine and had nearly taken Arnhem and the bridge there a few months earlier, whilst the Soviets were still sitting halfway back across Poland.
Edit:
Hitler isn't Polish and fighting to ultimately keep the Allies out of Poland. He's German (well, German for certain since the Austrian annexation, anyway) and he's fighting to ultimately keep the Allies out of Germany.

Last edited:
If the yankee high command gets wind of the Victor beating the M4 in tests this soundly, while being noticeably better protected, I can see a much bigger push for US forces to have Pershings deployed with them when the time comes.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
If the yankee high command gets wind of the Victor beating the M4 in tests this soundly, while being noticeably better protected, I can see a much bigger push for US forces to have Pershings deployed with them when the time comes.
Or they'll just ignore the test results for some esoteric reasons.

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
It was the name of a player in World of Tanks that featured on a youtube channel I watch (The Mighty Jingles) and it was Bert the Avenger driving a FV403 and using it in direct fire mode :) The FV403 is very small and very fast and plays more like a tank destroyer.

I used to like my Bert

Load HP and race around - if you got very lucky you could run up some kills - but it was very inaccurate in direct fire mode

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor
For airborne anti-tank capabilities, I think the Imperial and Commonwealth forces would be better suited to using light vehicles, such as a jeep or universal (bren) carrier, mounting recoilless rifles.
View attachment 876181 View attachment 876182 View attachment 876183 View attachment 876184
Edit:
Issue HEAT rounds as well as HESH.
If we're going to have a light vehicle-mounted recoilless rifle then why not go as light as possible?

If we're going to have a light vehicle-mounted recoilless rifle then why not go as light as possible?
Hello,

If recoilless rifles are available then couldn't you fit one on a...
They should be small enough and light enough to go in by glider.

Edit: Sorry about this. Should have read this chapter more carefully. I would support the idea of universal carriers as mentioned earlier by Salamander.

Last edited:
Universal carriers or "Bren" carriers were not meant to be used as AFVs. There used to be a trick question in a British Army quiz, "Is the Bren carrier an AFV?" Of coursed the answer was a resounding, "No" Every battle they were used as an AFV they were defeated. Their purpose purely as an armoured transport. They could tow a gun or they could carry personnel or ammunition but they couldn't be fought from. They were too lightly armed and armoured to be used in a battle.

Universal carriers or "Bren" carriers were not meant to be used as AFVs. There used to be a trick question in a British Army quiz, "Is the Bren carrier an AFV?" Of coursed the answer was a resounding, "No" Every battle they were used as an AFV they were defeated. Their purpose purely as an armoured transport. They could tow a gun or they could carry personnel or ammunition but they couldn't be fought from. They were too lightly armed and armoured to be used in a battle.
Never said they should be, but they can and were used to carry heavy mortars and tow 2-pounders. They can therefore be used to carry a recoilless rifle.

Never said they should be, but they can and were used to carry heavy mortars and tow 2-pounders. They can therefore be used to carry a recoilless rifle.
No where was it mentioned that you intended to dismount the weapon. Many people assume that the Bren Carrier was a fighting vehicle, which it was not.

No where was it mentioned that you intended to dismount the weapon. Many people assume that the Bren Carrier was a fighting vehicle, which it was not.
Neither is a jeep and yet... Both cannot stand and fight toe-to-toe with a tank or armoured car. No, shoot and scoot one, maybe two, shots from cover or as transport for a heavy weapons crew is what both are capable of. Which is why, all things aside, a lightly armoured or unarmoured transport/recon vehicle that can fit into a glider is a better fit for an airborne unit, than trying to lighten a tank, armoured car or early IFV enough to be made theoretically air-transportable for the tech of the time.

April 15th '42. Less than 3 weeks until it all kicks off in Kharkov and the HUGE Panzer Division / Luft 2 / Supply/ Fuel reinforcemetnts that would have been in North Africa or at the bottom of the Med in OTL come into play..... meanwhile Allies are playing around in a field in Dorset. Uncle Joe is not going to be a happy camper this Summer. Victor looks fantastic, A Comet without the wasteful space of Christie suspension, slightly heavier armour and over 2 years earlier. Ok , not fast enough to jump over Dutch Canals....but will it matter anyway if USSR is forced to capitulate,/cut off,/starved of oil ? One option, ok maybe a bit of a stretch, (but then Allan did write a story about time travel ) is Iran. If Soviets have a much worse time of it in '42 (and they should) then Uncle Joe may be open to Allies coming up from Iran to save his Oil. Then perhaps we'd have a Kursk (probably futher south/east) but with Nazis vs Carden's toys & a well supplied US Army...in Russia.