Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

15 April 1942. Dorset, England.
15 April 1942. Dorset, England.

It wasn’t uncommon among the instructors of the Armoured Fighting Vehicle School of Gunnery at Lulworth Camp to place bets with each other on which guns and gunners would do best. The days when the tank gunner cradled the tank’s main gun on his shoulder for firing on the move was long gone, and generally the overall result had been an improvement in tank gunnery. The pre-war regulars who’d had plenty of time and training had been quite proficient, but the numbers of new conscripts joining the Royal Armoured Corps would never have been able to match the time and training necessary.

Firing on the move was still an idea that the Americans were committed to. The new American M4A1 Medium tank, known by the British as the Sherman, had been brought to Britain for evaluation. The M34 mounting for the 75mm gun had a gyrostabiliser and control box attached to the arm of the cradle of the gun. The American crew who’d come over with the tank were keen to show off their skills to the Limeys. The Americans were obviously thought of being a ‘crack’ crew if they’d been given the task to show the British what their best tank could do.

The British instructors had been giving the Americans a very flattering welcome, the best hospitality that the RAC could offer, and were on their best behaviour around their visitors. The new British Victor tank, armed with the 75mm HV cannon was also being evaluated at the same time. The American crew agreed to have a competition between themselves and a British crew, Sherman against Victor, in the gunnery course.

Working on the principle that the Americans had provided a ‘crack’ crew, it was only right and fitting that the Victor should be crewed by a similar ‘crack’ crew. Captain Peter Smith DSO, Sergeant John Twist MM, Corporal Bill Jones, and Corporal Jim Wilson, combat veterans from North Africa, and now instructors at Bovington, would crew the Victor.

The Victor, with the moniker Adsum II, took to the gunnery range alongside its American rival. In outward comparison, the two tanks were immediately distinctive by height. The British tank had a much lower profile that the American, which seemed to tower over it. While nominally both were fitted with a 75mm gun, the British version had a considerably longer barrel, giving it the High Velocity that followed the designation.

The sloped armour on the front of the Sherman, compared with that of the Victor, simply because of the size of the hull, seemed less capable, especially once the thickness of the armour between the two tanks was taken into account. The Victor lacked the hull machine gun position, which allowed the sloping to be at a better angle. The fact that the British tank had armour of 4-inchs compared to the American’s 2-inch had come as a surprise to the American crew, while British were appalled at what the Americans thought was battle worthy.

In terms of speed, while the Victor was heavier, its meteor engine was more powerful and hence the British tank mostly had the advantage. The one thing that the British crew found better in the American tank was there was much more room inside to move around. The British tank, with its lower silhouette and more pronounced angular armour, was a tight fit for the four crewmen. The Americans could hardly believe that the British crew could fight their tank in such a confined space.

As the competition between the two tanks got underway, there weren’t many instructors prepared to lay bets on the American tank winning on anything, which was proven to be a wise decision. Later when a Crusader with the 6-pdr was brought in for comparison, it was the other way around, there were too few bets on the British tank to make it a worthwhile gamble.

Sounds like when The Chieftan does his "Oh my god the Tank is on fire..." test on a Victor, he'll probably have negative things to say, that and folding his 6' + frame into one would be a bit of a giggle/struggle in the driver's position.

That .6-crew-death-per-knocked-out-tank statistic really is important. More survivors equals a more experienced tank force.

Noobs in tanks are much less combat effective, however good the hardware is that they're crewing.

You could go with an 18lbr as an interim for the glider borne assault gun. Just getting something in the field to evaluate and use for training would go a long way to developing doctrine and what works and doesn't work. With the cut down version of the 25lbr vs the 18 you don't loose much range and just have the difference in shell loadings. You also might look at something on the engineering side like a small engineering tank that can carry some of the items needed by the engineers without having them exposed in a jeep or unarmored transport. You would be not be able to have some thing like a full size Flail or AVRE but anything that has some protection is better than none in certain areas.

The vehicle for the airborne troops sounds like the Alecto - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alecto_(SPG) and that was fitted to carry either a 6lb AT gun or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_95_mm_howitzer

Putting a 25lber in an enlarged Alecto would basically be a mini FV-304

maxresdefault.jpg

Wonder how the Sherman and Victor will perform against each other and if Commonwealth officers will be invited to the competition though I’ll be interested in Seeing the aftermath of it and what the reactions will be.

The British tank, with its lower silhouette and more pronounced angular armour, was a tight fit for the four crewmen. The Americans could hardly believe that the British crew could fight their tank in such a confined space.

How does the Victor score on the "oh crap, the tank is on fire test"?

Also what is the ammunition stowage capacity of the Victor?

How does the Victor score on the "oh crap, the tank is on fire test"?

Also what is the ammunition stowage capacity of the Victor?
I can't remember exactly which post it was but it was mentioned that Carden was paying attention to making the hatches for the crew bigger as they found them too small when tryingg to get out in an emergency.

I can't remember exactly which post it was but it was mentioned that Carden was paying attention to making the hatches for the crew bigger as they found them too small when tryingg to get out in an emergency.
That's an important point: I recall the hatches on early Shermans were quite small. Victor crews might not have a lot of head or elbow room, but they have enough and probably a better time entering/exiting.

It's not like crew is expected to move around much once they're inside and buttoned up, are they?

That's an important point: I recall the hatches on early Shermans were quite small. Victor crews might not have a lot of head or elbow room, but they have enough and probably a better time entering/exiting.

It's not like crew is expected to move around much once they're inside and buttoned up, are they?
I would imagine, having actually built fighting tanks, and having crew feedback, the tanks are actually designed so that the crew don't have to move around as much. Radio within arms reach, machine gun reloads if not in the turret, certainly easy to pass to the loader/gunner, etc. and intercom systems help cut down movement even more as they can hear eachother.

I imagine early marks of the sherman would have had things placed in the hull where there was space for them, and not really thought about, for example, "do we really want the commander to have to leave the turret to work the radio."

I would imagine, having actually built fighting tanks, and having crew feedback, the tanks are actually designed so that the crew don't have to move around as much. Radio within arms reach, machine gun reloads if not in the turret, certainly easy to pass to the loader/gunner, etc. and intercom systems help cut down movement even more as they can hear eachother.

I imagine early marks of the sherman would have had things placed in the hull where there was space for them, and not really thought about, for example, "do we really want the commander to have to leave the turret to work the radio."
Sherman did not make the best use of the space available due to such ergonomic mistakes.

I recall the hatches on early Shermans were quite small. Victor crews might not have a lot of head or elbow room, but they have enough and probably a better time entering/exiting.
(My bolding and font size change to clarify my response.)

The Chieftain, in his video linked in post 8682, shows that a driver as big as him can exit very quickly from the small-hatch version of the Sherman...and cannot exit in what I would consider a survivable time. in the event of a significant internal fire, from any of the other (British and Russian) tanks that the Chieftain personally tested--specifically because their internal small spaces make it too difficult to rapidly perform the contortions needed to get out.

Last edited:
The vehicle for the airborne troops sounds like the Alecto - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alecto_(SPG) and that was fitted to carry either a 6lb AT gun or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_95_mm_howitzer

Putting a 25lber in an enlarged Alecto would basically be a mini FV-304

maxresdefault.jpg
I would suggest that the ideal compromise for a single vehicle to support airborne troops would be an Alecto with a 75mm QF (bored out 6 pdr). But that gun hasn't been created yet as the need isn't there (yet) I believe.

It was the name of a player in World of Tanks that featured on a youtube channel I watch (The Mighty Jingles) and it was Bert the Avenger driving a FV403 and using it in direct fire mode :) The FV403 is very small and very fast and plays more like a tank destroyer.

For airborne anti-tank capabilities, I think the Imperial and Commonwealth forces would be better suited to using light vehicles, such as a jeep or universal (bren) carrier, mounting recoilless rifles.
1702978147579.jpeg
1702978875186.jpeg
1702978891499.jpeg
1702979000667.jpeg

Edit:
Issue HEAT rounds as well as HESH.

Last edited:
Huh something that stuck in my head a bit recently given a lot of Soviet rebuilding was aided by looting German industry and tech developments if they don’t take that vital knowledge and resources even cribbing off Western Allied notes how will it effect their development and rebuilding process?

Huh something that stuck in my head a bit recently given a lot of Soviet rebuilding was aided by looting German industry and tech developments if they don’t take that vital knowledge and resources even cribbing off Western Allied notes how will it effect their development and rebuilding process?
You mean if the Germans don't invade USSR?

Probably would harm them a fair bit, but on the other hand, they don't need to rebuild so much and there's been no disruption to technical training or industry, so they are better placed to organically improve.

I think they'll just buy a lot of expertise in, like they did in the 1920s and 1930s. I suspect as soon as the war properly finishes and such, Western companies will be gagging to take some of Uncle Joe's foreign reserves to supply Soviet industry with tools, techniques and new factories.

If there is OTL invasion, they'd get a fair bit anyway, even if less than before

You mean if the Germans don't invade USSR?

Probably would harm them a fair bit, but on the other hand, they don't need to rebuild so much and there's been no disruption to technical training or industry, so they are better placed to organically improve.

I think they'll just buy a lot of expertise in, like they did in the 1920s and 1930s. I suspect as soon as the war properly finishes and such, Western companies will be gagging to take some of Uncle Joe's foreign reserves to supply Soviet industry with tools, techniques and new factories.

If there is OTL invasion, they'd get a fair bit anyway, even if less than before
Not really was more thinking if the Western Allies beat them here in taking most of Germany given how British and Commonwealth forces have performed as well and holding on a great degree in a number of theatres as well as the introduction of US industrial capacity, I can see Britain and the USA as well as others as has been pointed out, pushing out as far as the German border as well as hitting Cezhlovakia and Austria as well as maybe a rump of Poland.

If the USSR is unable to take what is left of the German Technical and industrial base in the East, to say nothing of what may be in Austria and Cezhlovakia, at the time I have to think it will affect their rebuilding and to an extension the cold war since they won't be able to loot the German industry in the east as well as losing out of the Cezh technical skills as well as what they can steal from both Austria and Cezhlovakia. They also lose out on the knowledge they gained from lugging various scientists to Russia.

Last edited: