Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

How vulnerable are rear mounted tank fuel drums? Can they be demounted or emptied in/for combat like an aircraft external fuel tank?
Has internal armour spalling been addressed enough yet? What can be done to reduce brew-ups and ammo cook-offs. Have the crews got a decent semi-auto carbine or machine pistol, if they have to evacuate the tank?
external fuel tanks on tanks cannot be remotely demounted and they are used up first ( technically they refill the main tanks) . As for vulnerable , yes they are, but it does not matter , the positioning means any fuel will spill outside the tank onto the ground so even if it catches fire., it , at worse, just wreaks the external tank with no harm to the tank except a reduction in range.

external fuel tanks on tanks cannot be remotely demounted and they are used up first ( technically they refill the main tanks) . As for vulnerable , yes they are, but it does not matter , the positioning means any fuel will spill outside the tank onto the ground so even if it catches fire., it , at worse, just wreaks the external tank with no harm to the tank except a reduction in range.

Are you sure about not being able to be dismounted? I'm 95% certain the tanks on the back of Chally 2 can be jettisoned if needs be and that can't be the only tank that does it (although confirming either way is difficult as Google is determined to get me read about the space shuttle).

Are you sure about not being able to be dismounted? I'm 95% certain the tanks on the back of Chally 2 can be jettisoned if needs be and that can't be the only tank that does it (although confirming either way is difficult as Google is determined to get me read about the space shuttle).
I'm pretty sure all the late-model Soviet tanks (T-62 onwards) could jettison their external tanks if needed.

1639953473807.png

hard to see if they can be remotely jettisoned or not (image via google )

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well the drum carry straps could have internal release mounting. The fuel interface could be like a big bottle over an office water cooler. Gravity roll off to disengage?

Earlier call for an armoured utility T9 with a nice half inch thick roof and side plates, maybe a lower and longer rear ramp gate? Is there a "driver" for extra cover in a vast open desert trying to keep up with tanks? The Priest Kangaroo was later than this and used equipment coming off the front line. A bigger Universal (Bren) Carrier is going to flag a huge cost increase, unless it can do extra things. Tow the larger AT and field guns. Transport cargo/ammo and act as a bullet and splinter proof battle taxi for advancing troops. A better "tracked truck" than the half-track.

Vickers_APC.jpg
Vickers_APC.jpg

At one point it was a Vickers Light MkVI, but a longer Universal Carrier would be enough chassis and cheaper

Something a little more purpose built using a Bedford QL engine on over-track mounts centrally either side could be quite the amphibious APC.

Last edited: