Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

On the other hand, his experience in the Far East would be very useful and his qualifications as a staff officer are unquestioned. A role on Auchinleck’s staff would likely not be much harder on him than one at the War Office and he would still be able to put his skills to use in an environment he knows well.

Whatever Percival ends up doing, a more staff-officer type role would definitely use his talents more effectively, be it in the Far East or at the War Office. Still, whatever he ends up doing is a much better fate for him than what actually happened, especially on that day.

Mark1878

Donor
On the other hand, his experience in the Far East would be very useful and his qualifications as a staff officer are unquestioned. A role on Auchinleck’s staff would likely not be much harder on him than one at the War Office and he would still be able to put his skills to use in an environment he knows well.
However if he stayed in the Far East wouldn't the new command be annoyed at his sugestions which could be perceived as Percival not givng up his role, better to be used in Europe.

However if he stayed in the Far East wouldn't the new command be annoyed at his sugestions which could be perceived as Percival not givng up his role, better to be used in Europe.
Moreover, Perceval could well (author’s discretion) suffer further nightmares going forward relating to his calendar date OTL experiences and the ordeals of the troops he was forced to surrender.

Better get him back to “Blighty“ for much needed R&R.

Regarding Cunningham I thought long and hard about him. Brooke is entirely sympathetic to him in his diaries. Having done so well in East Africa, he arrived in North Africa at the worst possible moment and Churchill took against him with a vengeance. Brooke tried over and over to rehabilitate him OTL. Without the failure in NA against him, here Cunningham still has his good reputation, and East Africa was no easy matter. I thought about Montgomery as an alternative, but at this point, I believe Brooke valued him more for the work he was doing getting the army at home up to scratch in training and tactics. If this was October 42 rather than February, maybe Montgomery might have got the job, but the generals he followed in NA with 8th Army were hampered in so many ways.
If there is an alternative Operation Torch, then I suspect Montgomery rather than Anderson might get Br First Army. Though how Eisenhower would cope with Montgomery, Fredendall, and Patton in 1942 would be 'interesting'.

Perhaps Montgomery could be assigned to Italy? It seems the sort of terrain that would favour his 'slow and steady' temperament.

If there is an alternative Operation Torch, then I suspect Montgomery rather than Anderson might get Br First Army. Though how Eisenhower would cope with Montgomery, Fredendall, and Patton in 1942 would be 'interesting'.
Can the universe survive having them all in the same room? Have McArthur also in the same room and I think there is a passage in Revelations regarding the outcome. :)

On another note, has the Victor made its way to Aberdeen yet?
No, when it got to Liverpool they left it alone for 5 minutes. When they got back it was up on blocks, the tracks and wheels were gone, the radios had been nicked, there was a traffic cone jammed in the gun barrel and someone had left a turd on the commanders seat.

No, when it got to Liverpool they left it alone for 5 minutes. When they got back it was up on blocks, the tracks and wheels were gone, the radios had been nicked, there was a traffic cone jammed in the gun barrel and someone had left a turd on the commanders seat.
You're not from Manchester are you? That sounds like the sort of vile propaganda dirty Manc men spread about good Scouser lads (I'm from NZ, so it doesn't bother me either way).

Regarding Cunningham I thought long and hard about him. Brooke is entirely sympathetic to him in his diaries. Having done so well in East Africa, he arrived in North Africa at the worst possible moment and Churchill took against him with a vengeance. Brooke tried over and over to rehabilitate him OTL. Without the failure in NA against him, here Cunningham still has his good reputation, and East Africa was no easy matter. I thought about Montgomery as an alternative, but at this point, I believe Brooke valued him more for the work he was doing getting the army at home up to scratch in training and tactics. If this was October 42 rather than February, maybe Montgomery might have got the job, but the generals he followed in NA with 8th Army were hampered in so many ways.
prob have to deal with O'Connor as well

You're not from Manchester are you? That sounds like the sort of vile propaganda dirty Manc men spread about good Scouser lads (I'm from NZ, so it doesn't bother me either way).

Sadly, in the parts of Liverpool where some of the docks are (Seaforth and Bootle* for example) , there are people who would do just that - the stereotype Scallies who give Scousers a bad name. And this is from someone who is from Merseyside.

*When Obi-Wan Kenobi stood on the cliffs overlooking Mos Eisley Spaceport and told a young Luke Skywalker that he would never find a more wretched hive of Scum and Villany, it was obvious he'd never visited Bootle...

So the British are going to have three Army Tank Brigades AND an Australian Armoured Division when all the reinforcements come in. Putting aside everything else, I just want to note, that even though I need to go and reread the TL to catch up on where they are organisation wise, before I go telling tales, but that is a dreadfully large number of tanks. Like brutally large.

Putting aside technical specifications (oh so dear to our hearts), we can be pretty sure that Allies are going to be able to keep up with extremely demanding logistical needs of hundreds of AFVs. Plus an entire Army. And it is going to run like a clock.

What do you think, how are the Japanese holding up? It is not that Allies do not have logistical problems, bottlenecks and other things that happen during a World War, but they pale in comparison to those Japanese are facing. Losses in shipping must be harsh, especially due to Allies putting up a fight and making the Japanese pay high price in merchant shipping.

And Japan pissed off USA, which still has a large and potent fleet which is your No.1 Objective, all the while RN gathers the fleet, shielded behind land based aviation, which probably dreams of IJN being that idiotic as to bring its carriers that close. And Australians are pumping out Beuforts, alongside Anglo-American reinforcements in both aircraft and formations.

I do look forward to seeing how the Pacific war develops further, especially WRT carrier clashes between USN and IJN. Considering better situation for the Allies then IOTL, USN may do better, because greater strength of RN (and other Allied Navies) draws away Japanese Warships and resources, while at the same time allowing USA to concentrate and use its ships elsewhere.

Great work.

Well I can guess the British logistics corp. Is going to be hard at work expanding the transport infrastructure to support the increased logistical needs of the theatre.

Sadly, in the parts of Liverpool where some of the docks are (Seaforth and Bootle* for example) , there are people who would do just that - the stereotype Scallies who give Scousers a bad name. And this is from someone who is from Merseyside.
Dockers were accused (with justification) of pilfering survival rations from ships boats. Some people will nick anything. Dockers the world over seemed to think that they had the right to lift anything not bolted down as a perq of the job.

Last edited:
Still, it will be interesting to see what the Americans make of the Victor, when they get to test it. Who knows, maybe in studying the turret they'll figure out how to build a turret capable of taking the 76mm a bit earlier than OTL.