POSSIBLE IDEA FOR DEALING WITH DEMOGRAPHICS: Maybe some political establishment in the south convinces the White populace that they will be 'outnumbered' by Blacks or something. Could make the census less of a mess by 1930.
Nothing quite that formal but people will certainly get that idea on several occasions throughout the 20s
A film like Downfall ITTL based on this would be great! The memes it would generate alone

Can we expect a China that is much stronger on the world stage of Football ITTL? its always blown my mind how much of a failure the Chinese Governments attempts at building their football has been.
Yes. Football will be much stronger in East Asia in general, becoming something of the fourth quadrant of the sport alongside Europe, South America, and the Big Two of USA/Mexico in North America (yes, this does mean that African football is a touch or two weaker than IOTL)
Economics in the Western Hemisphere thought...
The six primary nations in the war (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, CSA, Mexico and USA) were six of the seven largest economies in the Western hemisphere (Canada being the seventh). I know the CSA falls *hard*, but I'm not sure whether it can fall out of the top 7. If it can, who would it fall behind? The only possibilities in my mind are Venezuela, Colombia and the postwar restored RoT, but given that the RoT will have at least *some* war damage and the author has said that Colombia ends up with French related conservatives taking Panama out of Colombia, that indicates that Colombia is in for some not happy times. So it boils down to whether Venezuela will gain enough from being aligned with (and an oil source for?) victorious Germany. That of course will be affected by the alignment of Romania post CEW...
More to come on Romania, I'll leave it at that.

I'd say the CSA is still Top 7, though. Even at this point in time it has considerable resource and demographic advantages over Venezuela/Colombia and don't discount the biased appeal of investing in a culturally more "European" place for European investors than Bogota or Caracas, at least initially.
Its been stated that Vardman lost a son to the war - though one could happily butterfly his life a bit and say he has more than one son to carry on his legacy in the ATL - though, considering he'sthe one left holding the bag when the war inevitably ends (or manages to exit stage left prior to that point, but still having been tarnished by leading the Confederacy during the darkest days of the war and failing), I'm not sure how much of a legacy he's going to have. I could see the Red Scarves outliving him and honoring his memory (after all, Vardaman would have been able to save the Confederacy if he hadn't been stabed in the back by the planter class who didn't want to give more to save the nation!) and propping up some relative as a successor.
Vardaman has sort of two legacies - anti-planter populism, and hardcore white supremacy. People can read into him whatever they like postwar as a result (Huey Long probably leans more towards the former, for instance)

A New Tsar in a New Century: The Life and Reign of Michael II of Russia
"...Maklakov brothers. Their emergence late in the summer and early autumn of 1915 stemmed from several factors; the first, and perhaps most obvious, was Durnovo's resignation due to his advancing illness and his subsequent death on September 24 less than a month after relinquishing the post of Minister of the Interior. Nikolai Maklakov, appropriately reactionary in his attitudes towards revolutionaries but not a "bloodhound" like some predecessors in that office. Near simultaneously, Vasily, the elder brother, emerged victorious in an internal struggle within the liberal faction of the Duma against Pavel Milyukov thanks in part to his alignment with Alexander Guchkov over a grand debate over military expenses in which Maklakov swung behind the more conservative of the two grandees of the Duma and from then on had Milyukov as a fierce enemy - a position that endeared him to Stolypin.

Despite their very different politics - though a monarchist, Vasily's liberalism never wavered and he regarded his abandonment of the Milyukov line more a reflection on the man than his beliefs - the brothers Maklakov were personally fairly close and thus a useful tandem for the Tsarist government. In Nikolai, Stolypin had a reliable loyalist in the mold of Durnovo but also a man who could influence his brother; in turn, in Vasily there was a figure held in great esteem by the emerging liberal middle class of St. Petersburg, Moscow and Kiev who was nonetheless pragmatic and cautious in his reforms, unafraid to speak his mind but nonetheless deferential to the extant regime. Nikolai could pull his brother rightwards and, by that same token, pull Guchkov right too, and in turn Vasily could facilitate connections between the Council of Ministers and the Duma's leading lights. Vasily thus formed something of an informal "third leg" of the Duarchy of Stolypin and Sazonov, their eyes and ears in the Duma as a man who took the body seriously (unlike its most right-wing parliamentarians, who opposed its existence and thus were little use in dealing even with the most conservative of liberals), and whose ongoing game of back-and-forth with his younger and more hardline brother began to become one of the key features of the Duarchy era as the Duma and the Ministers played off one another for influence, to the extent that even Stolypin himself frequently mused that perhaps the brothers Maklakov were more cunning than their different beliefs suggested..." [1]

- A New Tsar in a New Century: The Life and Reign of Michael II of Russia

[1] We're rapidly approaching a point in time where I'm going to start running out of Tsarist figures prominent in history, since a lot of their Wikipedia entries end in, say, 1917/18 or thereabouts or with "and then they lived in Parisian exile." That being said, the continuing tension between the fairly toothless Duma and its various sclerotic factions and the Tsar's ministers will be a feature moving forward in all Russian action

I think you may be reading that a bit wrong. Remember that the war is technically still going on in December of 1916 (though the writing is on the wall). Tillerman likely isn't arrested, subjected to trial and then released. He was probably captured and is being held as a war captive before being expatriated - remember the mysterious adventures of the captured US Congressmen when the Confederacy took DC (who have apparently vanished from the written record after being tantalizingly teased to us readers!); so there is already a precedent in this war for politicians of the opposing side being taken captive when captured.

No doubt Tillerman had the bad luck ofnot fleeing in time and was simply swept up and then released sometime after the peace treaty was signed - no doubt his captivity being used to ensure good behavior on the part of the Confederacy.

Our good Swedish King has stated that there likely won't be war crimes trials after this war, because such things were - while not unheard of, pretty rare during this era. But we could probably expect that many of the WORST human rights deniers in the COnfederacy to meet nasty ends thanks to extra legal reprisals. Which does kind of fit the image we've been getting of the post-war Confederacy.

On a related note, I wonder if we will get memoirs written by the captives who were enslaved with the fall of Maryland and shipped South They are most certainly going to have stories to tell; and it would be a fascinating look at the Confederate domestic front during the final year and some months of the war. Hint hint :D
Oh, those are going to be interesting Memoirs. Given the 50 year gap, you could have someone who didn't believe the stories that her grandmother told her as a child until she lived it. (We've still got the entire issue of separating out the captured DC & Maryland residents trying to convince the US Military that they were from DC or Annapolis or Baltimore.)
Have we gotten anything saying that there will be a ceasefire or a negotiated peace treaty by 1917? Which leads to the *additional* question (subject to Retcon). Tillman is one of the Confederate Senators who will *vote* on the Treaty ending the war. If he is in US Custody between December of 1916 to August of 1917, that leads to three possible situations.
1) The Treaty vote accepting is *before* December of 1916. If so, then I'm not sure he would be arrested, or at least it wouldn't describe him as "Captured"
2) The Treaty vote is during his captivity. That indicates that functionally the vote to accept the treaty is under the US guns and thus easily disclaimed(?) as soon as the Americans leave
3) The Treaty vote is after his captivity, that indicates that essentially, he's released in order to vote on the treaty (I think) leaving the vote to accept it as basically the bookend of his life.

Nothing quite that formal but people will certainly get that idea on several occasions throughout the 20s

Yes. Football will be much stronger in East Asia in general, becoming something of the fourth quadrant of the sport alongside Europe, South America, and the Big Two of USA/Mexico in North America (yes, this does mean that African football is a touch or two weaker than IOTL)

More to come on Romania, I'll leave it at that.

I'd say the CSA is still Top 7, though. Even at this point in time it has considerable resource and demographic advantages over Venezuela/Colombia and don't discount the biased appeal of investing in a culturally more "European" place for European investors than Bogota or Caracas, at least initially.

Vardaman has sort of two legacies - anti-planter populism, and hardcore white supremacy. People can read into him whatever they like postwar as a result (Huey Long probably leans more towards the former, for instance)
Would that lead to a baby boom among whites to support the country? (the comparison here is to the Russian woman near the end of World War Z)
Having a few Universities at the level of UVa, UNC & Clemson with their Professors intact definitely helps.
Honestly, I could see Long being willing to do what it takes in terms of Negro rights to at least damp down the local rebellions.

I wonder how many American missionaries, business people and educators may travel to China post-war to help 'modernize' the country and build up business.

Would that lead to a baby boom among whites to support the country? (the comparison here is to the Russian woman near the end of World War Z)
Having a few Universities at the level of UVa, UNC & Clemson with their Professors intact definitely helps.
Honestly, I could see Long being willing to do what it takes in terms of Negro rights to at least damp down the local rebellions.
Long can probably get us to OTL 1920s/30s Jim Crow levels, which would still be a huge improvement over what comes before
I wonder how many American missionaries, business people and educators may travel to China post-war to help 'modernize' the country and build up business.
Oh, tons. Especially since USA still has Chusan as its post-Boxer territorial concession as a stepping stone

Long can probably get us to OTL 1920s/30s Jim Crow levels, which would still be a huge improvement over what comes before

aus-poster-typo-1080p-2-jpg.562190

Can't wait for Long's rise to being Governor of Louisiana then President all while subjugating the old political elite.

Huey long was born well after the POD. Sure there would be a Long like figure, maybe call him Kurtz (german for short) ... Going up the Mississippi to meet Kurtz at his Baton Rouge Redoubt.. Nothing like the smell of burning cotton in the morning.. but I go on.

Last edited:
Feel that Union still has too much negative connotation down South, what with Union being the colloquial name for the North during the Civil War.
Yeah that’s my one big hesitation with that one. EMAK (Every Man a King) has a certain ring to it, or SOW (Share Our Wealth), but we’ll see
Huey long was born well after the POD. Sure there would be a Long like figure, maybe call him Kurtz (german for short) ... Going up the Mississippi to meet Kurtz at his Baton Rouge Redoubt.. Nothing like the smell of burning cotton in the morning.. but I go on.
I was about to get my claws out about my policy on butterflied births but that was definitely necessary for the setup to that punchline, well done!

aus-poster-typo-1080p-2-jpg.562190

Can't wait for Long's rise to being Governor of Louisiana then President all while subjugating the old political elite.
At least two of the people in the background (the nurse in the far right and the man just to the right of his head) look a bit on the dark side...

At least two of the people in the background (the nurse in the far right and the man just to the right of his head) look a bit on the dark side...
But of course, Huey Long is the Man of the people and won’t let the slavocracy divide him on racial grounds.

Happy Kentucky Derby Day! Given that Churchill Downs is in a different country than Pimlico and Belmont Park, what is the status of the Triple Crown specifically and horse racing in general in this timeline?

Not an urgent question at all, just came to mind as I was watching Sportscenter.

Happy Kentucky Derby Day! Given that Churchill Downs is in a different country than Pimlico and Belmont Park, what is the status of the Triple Crown specifically and horse racing in general in this timeline?

Not an urgent question at all, just came to mind as I was watching Sportscenter.
To be honest I hadn’t given it any thought. I don’t know too much about horse racing

Note, under the heading of "We may have peace, but we *really* *really* don't like you..."

W. E. B. Du Bois or Booker T. Washington as the first postwar USA ambassador to the CSA?

Last edited: