Secessions in a USA destroyed in the War of 1812?

So let's say that the War of 1812 absolutely fucks America up in a big way. Britain does well and brings Canada's border further down south, New England secedes, their economy tanks, etc... Basically it went about as bad as it could possibly go for them without invoking ASBs.

You're left with a much smaller US that is dominated by the South rather than the North (think Decades of Darkness) and which may not officially own the Louisiana territories anymore (they could probably retake large chunks of it anyway by settling it like they did Texas OTL, but still) which is comparable to the Weimar Republic in terms of stability.

Would it be able to hold together or would a bunch more states try jump ship and if so, which ones?

Last edited:
In my opinion it is most likely that America will eventually dissolve into several independent states. On the other hand the Union surviving isn't too absurd either and I like the idea of a Napoleon-like figure rising to power and becoming the "Hitler" of this "Weimar America."

I'd say there is:

Republic of New England: strong central government, close ties with the UK

Canada takes the Michigan peninsulas, and the British give the northern half of the Louisiana territory to various native tribes as a protectorate

the remaining US probably never reaches the Pacific UNLESS it goes full militarist in response to the national humiliation, and goes after Mexico in an aggressive war taking their northernmost provinces all the way to the baja peninsula

in which case:

TTL US's northern border runs roughly New York/Pennsylvania/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Colorado/Utah/Nevada/California; its southern border being Tama/Neuvo/Coa/Chi/Sonora/the Bajas (no disrespect to Mexico with the abbreviations, I just didnt feel like typing all of that)

Extrapolating further along this hypothetical, I see a hard right/revanchist US in the future: Testing Britain at every turn, and throwing its weight around in the Caribbean and Central/South America. In a general European war later on, the US might well ally with the UK's enemies, and throw everything they have into taking as much of Canada and UK possessions in the Carribbean as they can.

or this: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/washington-burns-a-story-of-alternate-america.413571/

Last edited:
In my opinion it is most likely that America will eventually dissolve into several independent states. On the other hand the Union surviving isn't too absurd either and I like the idea of a Napoleon-like figure rising to power and becoming the "Hitler" of this "Weimar America."

Andrew Jackson would make a nice dictator, although his military career has no doubt been blunted by the War of 1812.