Sam Westwood's Hollywood

john-and-mary-movie-poster-1969-1010463512.jpg

From Forgotten Films: 1966-1971 by Nolan Hendricks, 1998

"Even though John and Mary was a hit upon initial release at the end of 1969, the film was eclipsed by issues within Mia Farrow's personal life that eventually lead to her suspicious death in early, 1970--"

"According to director Peter Yates, Sinatra did not want Mia Farrow to do the picture and one day during filming, she was served with divorce papers--"

"Sinatra had also found out about an affair Farrow had with composer Andre Previn during the filming of A Dandy In Aspic. The affair had led to the breakdown of Previn's marriage to his wife Dory--"

"Over a month after John and Mary was released, January 21st, 1970, Mia Farrow was found dead--"

From an early February 1970 issue of The National Enquirer

"Did Frank have Mia killed? Previn says Yes!"

excerpts from the article

"The former Peyton Place star suffered a miscarriage early on in the filming of John And Mary--"

"To make matters worse, Sinatra, who did not want her to make the film sent his lawyers to serve her with divorce papers mid-way through the shoot--"

It now has come out that Farrow was the main factor behind the recent divorce of film composer Andre Previn and his wife Dory. The discovery of Farrow's affair with Andre Previn caused his wife to have a nervous breakdown that led to her recent hospitalization--"

"Farrow was found dead by a housekeeper in her bathtub January 21st. The death was ruled a combination of sleeping pills and alcohol--"

"Previn has told the press that he suspects foul play was involved, that Farrow was happy about her recent success with John and Mary--"

"Sinatra has been willing to provide evidence that at the time of Farrow's death he was performing in Las Vegas--"

Last edited:
The Great Gatsby (Paramount Pictures, 1974) starring Harris Walker as Jay Gatsby and Joey Heatherton as Daisy...

:p

Just being goofy, don't panic guys. Wait and see, whatever I come up with will be good. :)

Last edited:
Nothing Lasts Forever (1969)
Danish folk-pop singer Nina on the 1969 Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show promoting one of the three songs featured in the next film about to be covered...

Nothing Lasts Forever (20th Century Fox, 12/1969)

Written and Directed by Edward O'Malley

Roger Moore as Nigel Turner- A Private Detective

Telly Savalas as Art Anagnos- Manager to singer Ruby Sorensen

Diana Rigg as Penelope Turner- Simon's wife, a model. The two have a rocky marriage.

Nina as Ruby Sorensen- A singer who turns to Nigel for help after her boyfriend is murdered.

Edward Woodward as Timmy and Tommy Crane- Twin brothers who have underworld connections. Johnny owed them money. Loosely based on the infamous Kray Twins.

Sam Westwood as Johnny- Ruby's younger American boyfriend who is murdered backstage in her dressing room while she is performing live on stage.

Music by John Barry, Lyrics by Hal David

'We Have All The Time In The World", 'Nothing Lasts Forever' and 'Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown' performed by Nina Van Pallandt

A brief synopsis

Pop singer Ruby Sorensen (Nina) performs as part of a live television variety special at Christmas time. Accompanying Ruby is her manager Art Anagnos (Savalas) and her younger American boyfriend Johnny (Westwood). Art and Ruby notice Johnny is acting strangely. Ruby goes back out in front of the camera to sing her biggest hit 'We Have All The Time In The World', leaving Johnny in her dressing room while Art hangs out backstage. After her performance, Ruby opens her dressing room to find Johnny stabbed to death. Art turns to Nigel Turner (Moore) a private detective with a crumbling marriage to model Penelope (Rigg).

Nigel's search for Johnny's killer takes him into London's underworld where he has to find the culprits, notorious twin gangsters Timmy And Tommy Crane (Woodward).

Up against TWO murderers, Nigel realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew. Ruby is becoming increasingly erratic, sobbing during a recording session. Nigel helps her through the grieving process which makes Penelope jealous initially. Realizing that nothing is going on between her husband and Ruby, Penelope is able to patch things up with Nigel. Turner finally brings the Cranes to justice and parts ways with a grateful Ruby and Art.

Vincent Canby's review for The New York Times:

"Moore, best known for the TV series “The Saint” turns in a very charming performance as our dashing hero Turner. An excellent cast and musical score helps round things out--"

From IMDB:

Sam Westwood's role as the murder victim essentially boils down to an extended cameo. Westwood was filming an adaptation of Agatha Christie's The Pale Horse at the time production of this film was also taking place at Pinewood Studios and agreed to a couple days work.

The role of Ruby Sorensen was originally written as "Ruby Simmons" with Dusty Springfield in mind. However, Springfield turned the film down. After Petula Clark also turned the script down, Nancy Sinatra was then approached and also declined. Danish folk-pop singer Nina ultimately took over the lead role. Under her full name, Nina Van Pallandt, she would go on to appear in several films for director Robert Altman during the 1970s. [1]

'We Have All The Time In The World' is perhaps best known best via a cover version recorded by Louis Armstrong around the time the film was released to theatres.

[1] Nina also had a really colourful personal life. Check out this Rotten Tomatoes writeup for more info. This article also has a lot of info on her.

Last edited:
The Great Gatsby (Paramount Pictures, 1974) starring Harris Walker as Jay Gatsby and Joey Heatherton as Daisy...

:p

Just being goofy, don't panic guys. Wait and see, whatever I come up with will be good. :)
Can you come up with a different director than Jack Clayton?
I heard that the Script was considered one of best ever by Francis Ford Coppola but that the script was undercut by the British director Jack Clayton.

Can you come up with a different director than Jack Clayton?
I heard that the Script was considered one of best ever by Francis Ford Coppola but that the script was undercut by the British director Jack Clayton.

Maybe Redford himself could take a try at that...

Edit: Or even Francis Ford Coppola himself..?

Last edited:
Does the coroner rule Mia's death accidental or suicide?
It's listed as an accident but with what was going on (Sinatra, Previn, her middling movie career which was only just taking off, and months later that song by Dory) there are heavy homicide rumours.

There are also a lot of people who think Frank hired someone to make it look like an "accident".

Nobody knows what went on that night. Previn insisted it was foul play. Nancy Sinatra says her dad had no involvement.

For all we know it could have been Dory. I mean that song was pretty scathing. Rumours that Frank wanted to record a cover of it made things even more messy.

Last edited:
Of course, Mia and Previn having an affair when Mia was a young woman and breaking up Previn's marriage is ironic when you consider how her relationship with Woody Allen ended IOTL (and let's not get into the Dylan Farrow...mess)...

You Only Live Twice (1969)

You Only Live Twice (United Artists, December 18, 1969)​

Cast

Julian Glover
as James Bond, 007

Donald Pleasance as Blofeld

Peter Finch as Dikko Henderson

Joanna Lumley as Patricia

Mie Hama as Kissy Suzuki

Ilse Steppat as Irma Bunt

Tetsuro Tamba as Tiger Tanaka

Bernard Lee as M

Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

Music by John Williams ('You Only Live Twice' performed by Lorraine Chandler, written by Jack Ashford, Mike Terry & Randy Scott)

Screenplay by Richard Maibaum (Based on You Only Live Twice by Ian Fleming)

Produced by Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli

Directed by Peter R. Hunt

Opening Sequence
An American spacecraft is hijacked from orbit by another, unidentified spacecraft. The U.S. suspects it to be the Soviets, but the British suspect Japanese involvement since the spacecraft landed in the Sea of Japan.

Cut to the theme song: “You Only Live Twice” by Lorraine Chandler

The film opens on a longshot of “Patricia” (Joanna Lumley), sitting in a rented flat on a sofa reading a magazine.​

JL.jpg

Joanna Lumley as Patricia

A man enters the flat, back turned to the camera. It's clear he is armed. After some buildup, we realize, it’s none other than...James Bond! (Julian Glover).​

007 2.jpg

Julian Glover as 007

He realizes the "intruder" in his flat is Patricia, his current flame. She is quite irritated with Bond as this appears to have happened more than once. Bond, as usual, is dapper but looks weary after the events of the previous film On Her Majesty's Secret Service*. After some banter between Lumley and Glover, the usual Bond hanky panky ensues. The phone rings, but Bond refuses to answer it.

Bond and Patricia later head out to a fancy nightclub, where he gets inebriated and loses his money on a bad bet at the card tables. It is revealed that Bond has resorted to alcohol to ease his pain over losing Tracy. Back at the flat, Patricia has enough of Bond’s drunken antics and calls him out on it, finally leaving him. As the door slams shut, the phone rings yet again. A very drunk, very irritated 007 picks it up. It's M (Bernard Lee). He grills Bond over his recent behaviour: drinking, gambling heavily, botching up missions and showing up late for work. He has a mission for Bond and expects him to show up ASAP.

The usual banter with Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell) is shown. Bond then meets with M who has a mission for him. Bond is to investigate the events shown prior to the opening sequence. After some banter with Q, (Desmond Llewlyn), Bond is sent to Tokyo after faking his own death in Hong Kong and being buried at sea from HMS Tenby (F65).

Bond is introduced to Tiger Tanaka (Tetsurō Tamba)—and to the Japanese lifestyle—by an Australian intelligence officer, Dikko Henderson (Peter Finch). When Bond raises the purpose of his mission with Tanaka, it transpires that the Japanese have already penetrated the British information source and Bond has nothing left to bargain with. Instead, Tanaka asks Bond to kill Dr. Guntram Shatterhand, who operates a politically embarrassing "Garden of Death" in an ancient castle; people flock there to commit suicide. After examining photos of Shatterhand and his wife, Bond discovers that "Shatterhand" and his wife are Tracy's murderers, Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasance), and Irma Bunt (Ilse Steppat), both returning from the previous movie. Bond gladly takes the mission, keeping his knowledge of Blofeld's identity a secret so that he can exact revenge for his wife's death. Trained by Tanaka and Henderson and aided by former Japanese film star Kissy Suzuki (Mie Hama), Bond plans to infiltrate Shatterhand's castle. Tanaka renames Bond "Taro Todoroki" for the mission. The next scene shows Henderson being called away, where he is ultimately murdered by Blofeld’s henchmen.

After infiltrating the Garden of Death and the castle where Blofeld spends his time dressed in the costume of a Samurai warrior, Bond is captured, and Bunt identifies Bond as a British secret agent and not a Japanese coal miner. Bunt's henchmen tie Bond up and lower him under a pool of piranhas. Bond escapes, killing the henchmen and pushes Bunt into the pool. Bond exacts revenge on Blofeld. Blofeld however, has escaped the castle, placing a bomb inside it. Bond, Kissy, Tanaka, and the surviving ninjas escape the castle before it explodes, and are rescued.

From Forgotten Films, 1966-1971 by Nolan Hendricks

"While the film is fondly remembered today, audiences at the time were turned off at the sight of a grieving, alcoholic James Bond who seemed human--"

"Eon became concerned when You Only Live Twice underperformed at the box office. While no blame was placed on Julian Glover, the actor was not offered any further Bond films. However, Glover would get the last laugh with a string of highly acclaimed character parts--"

"To make matters worse, usual Bond composer John Barry had worked on another project instead--Columbia's Nothing Lasts Forever. While Lorraine Chandler's theme song became a huge smash on the British Northern Soul circuit, it wasn't exactly remembered as a classic. Neither was John Wiliams jazzy score--"

"For the next projected James Bond vehicle, Diamonds Are Forever, Broccoli was determined to hire back Sean Connery. When that failed, the producer went after Roger Moore. Broccoli also decided to go for a more star-studded cast to back Moore up--"

*If you missed the OHMSS post, go check out the threadmarks. It's there.

Last edited:
Harris and Nolan
Who is Nolan Hendricks?
Why does Harris have so many skeletons in his closet?
Find out today in another exciting instalment of Sam Westwood's Hollywood!

Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89.

The tape starts back up. It is obvious from Nolan's tone that he trying to figure something out.

Harris: I knew you'd figure it out sooner or later. You're a smart kid, Nolan.

Nolan: Do you want me to shut the tape off? I can shut it off--

Harris: It's fine. Really.

Nolan: So, you were talking previously about how Herb Benson might have had your film loop destroyed?

Harris: There was no might have about it. As I mentioned, they found out my real age. I've always been upfront with you about that.

Nolan: When I was trying to find you back home, you weren't in the yearbook after your sophomore year. So I knew something was off. I just never asked why.

Harris: I dropped out. And I know you're going to say it, but I realize I contradict a lot of details about my early life.

Nolan: You did say you graduated, though.

Harris: I did graduate later on, but not in 1966.

Herb and Helen signed me and didn't realize I was born in 1950, not 1948. I ran away from home in 1966. So...I was sixteen in the photos and stuff and the Bensons were absolutely horrified.

They weren't rich, so it set them back to pay people off. I paid them back later on. The fact that they didn't fire me as their client was pretty remarkable.

Nolan: So you were 17 when you did commercials?

Harris: Yeah. And 18 in my first movie. But 17 when it was shot. My birthday is June 25th.

Nolan: June 25th, 1950? I just want to clarify because I still see 1948 tossed around.

Harris: Yeah. You think I'd lie to you?

Nolan: No. Of course not.

Harris: I ran away from home because it was unbearable. You know that.

Nolan: I do. You were treated like garbage. But you were also just a kid. And people took advantage of you--

Harris: Yeah. I wasn't proud of the things I did. That's why I reached out to Traci Lords.

Nolan: I just can't believe nobody tried to find you. You were on TV!

Harris: Well, that's the Walker clan for you.

When I got to New York at the end of 1969, Helen and Herb made me take night classes to get my GED. So to answer your question, yes I did graduate. Eventually.

Nolan: Sam had to have known--

Harris: I was 18 when I met Sam. Sam thought I was twenty. I stayed at his place for a while and he still had no clue. But I think he suspected something was off when I told him I refused to speak to my family. I mean he was close to his mom and his dad. That was foreign to me.

Nolan: Sylvia died before I found you but Fred seemed to be a lot like Sam.

Harris: Very loyal. Stuck up for Sam when Sam was being publicly stoned. Sam was worried Fred would disown him. Fred just pulled me aside and said: "You better take care of my son!".

Nolan: So how did Sam find out?

Harris: So, in 1972, Sam was in New York filming a movie with Liza Minnelli and Judy Garland. I was hired on as the still photographer but also took a bit role--

Nolan: 'Erring On The Side Of Caution'

Harris: Yeah. I'd been offered a couple of big movies, which we can talk about later. Those fell through and I became involved with a film that happened to have Sam in it. We reconnected and after the filming, I accidentally overdosed and had to get my stomach pumped.

Nolan: Which lead to you going back to California.

Harris: Yeah. Sam got me to the hospital and had to go through my wallet. My license had a 1948 birthdate on it. I was able to swing that somehow. But he also found a draft card and some other old items I still had with my real birth date on them and another piece of paper which I always kept that was a notice from the draft board telling me I was 4-F. Because I am colour blind I didn't have to go over there. And as you know with Sam, his was deferred at Disney's request.

Anyway, of course, Sam grilled me. We were still platonic friends but it was about to get serious and I knew he needed to know things, so I told him.

Next: Agatha Christie's The Pale Horse (1969) starring Sam Westwood.

Last edited:
I remember reading in one of the guides to James Bond movies, that the Film Makers could not find a Japanese Castle that they like which is why they went with the Volcano.
Did they find one that they could use or did they build one in either Japan or in England?

I remember reading in one of the guides to James Bond movies, that the Film Makers could not find a Japanese Castle that they like which is why they went with the Volcano.
Did they find one that they could use or did they build one in either Japan or in England?

This wasn't a big budgeted Bond film compared to the Connery ones so a castle was built at Pinewood Studios.

They go all out for Roger Moore because this was kind of a misfire. Some fans think it's the best film in the series, others think it's one of the worst.

(I liked the idea of Juilan Glover as a sort of dishevelled, more human Bond but people were complaining about it last time).

This wasn't a big budgeted Bond film compared to the Connery ones so a castle was built at Pinewood Studios.

They go all out for Roger Moore because this was kind of a misfire. Some fans think it's the best film in the series, others think it's one of the worst.

(I liked the idea of Juilan Glover as a sort of dishevelled, more human Bond but people were complaining about it last time).

The James Bond after "On her Majesty Secret Service' and the death of Tracy should not be the Superhero, perfect suit, no hair out of place character that Connery played in Diamonds are forever or the Roger Moore Years.

The James Bond after "On her Majesty Secret Service' and the death of Tracy should not be the Superhero, perfect suit, no hair out of place character that Connery played in Diamonds are forever or the Roger Moore Years.

Exactly. I wanted to put more continuity into the series. Personally, You Only Live Twice has been my favourite TTL Bond to cook up. :)

And Julian Glover will get some quality roles as IOTL still. He didn't pull a Lazenby or act like a jerk on set. I feel like Lazenby IOTL was a huge misfire. Never liked the guy. Roger Moore is easily my favourite Bond.

Sean Connery: Best. Bond. Ever.

(But I'm willing to admit that others have other favorites. Favorites that are not the best, but favorites others than Sean.:winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue::winkytongue:)