Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Beginnings
  • Banner.png

Sam Westwood's Hollywood
    A Timeline by markedward

(Based on my prior timeline It Girls, Boys Next Door, Scream Queens, and Dorothy)

From the documentary film Sam Westwood's Hollywood (2016)
    Disclaimer

From the time he made his screen debut in the mid-1960's until 1983, there was an actor who seemed to be everywhere. After he was outed as gay, his career went down in flames. During the 1990's, his work was re-evaluated and a comeback ensued. His name? Sam Westwood. This is his story.

The screen fades to archival footage of a rather good-looking boy next door type. A dark-haired cross between Tab Hunter and Kent McCord only with more of an edge. There is a chronological montage of clips from several of Sam's movies from his peak: Mary Rose (1967), Eye Of The Cat (1969), Never Give An Inch (1970), The Grifters (1970), The Kill-Off (1971), Traffic Jam (1972), The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud (1976), Interlocked (1978), and The Front Runner (1982).

Cut to the same man. He is in his early 70's now but looks considerably younger. Sam is filmed in his second home, a small beachfront property located on Vancouver Island, Canada.

Sam: My whole career was an accident (laughs)

Interviewer: Can you tell us about your early life?

Sam: Well, I was born in Reno, Nevada on February 8th, 1945. When I was about a year old, my father got a job offer in Tucson, Arizona and we moved there.

My father, Fred, was a World War II Veteran who worked as a file clerk. My mother, Sylvia, stayed at home until I was old enough to attend school. Later on, she went to work part-time at a travel agency.

My parents wanted more kids but were unable to. My mom had several miscarriages and it was, you know, rough on both of them. As a result, they poured a lot of affection onto me, which became...smothering at times.

But you know, they were both very kind, intelligent people and both of them supported my hobbies.

The interviewer is heard talking in the background

Sam: I was seen as the good upstanding boy next door who would take a girl out to the school dance and have her home by curfew. It slowly dawned on me as a teenager that I was more interested in dating the football team.

Sam chuckles before looking serious

In the dark ages...nobody talked about it.

Interviewer: Did you feel a need to get out of Arizona?

Sam: I took journalism for about a semester and then dropped out because I realized writing stories or maybe film scripts interested me more than working at a paper. I saved a little money doing odd jobs and came out to California at the start of 1964 just for the change of scenery.

My parents gave me a year to figure out what I wanted to do. If I didn't have things together by the new year I had to go back to school. My plan was to maybe take English and be a teacher and, you know, write on the side.

As everyone knows-- (laughs)

Interviewer: Things turned out differently

Sam: Yeah. (nods)

After a few months of odd jobs, I found work doing maintenance at Disneyland and relocated to Anaheim. Someone who worked higher up for the studio visited the park one day and spotted me.

A few days later. Someone else was sent to the park to find me and I was asked to report to the studio in Burbank the next morning.

Interviewer: So it wasn't Disney himself?

Sam: No. What happened was the publicity department changed the story to Walt Disney spotting me at the park during a routine meet and greet. It was actually someone who worked for the studio in production.

My first time visiting a studio was intense. I waited. And waited. Finally, a secretary led me into an office. Disney was at a desk. There was this older British fellow with him, who turned out to be Robert Stevenson.

It was incredibly nervewracking. They both introduced themselves. When Robert Stevenson introduced himself as a director, it was one of those "a-ha!" moments. I tried to act like I knew his work (laughs).

Interviewer: You hadn't seen 'Mary Poppins'?

Sam: Hey. I wasn't picky, but their movies weren't really on my radar.

I was asked if I would like to do a screen test for a role in one of two films the studio was about to shoot. It was one of those Lana Turner stories you hear where you go "Yeah right. Sure that happened!" (Sam comically rolls his eyes)

Well, it happened to me.

**********************************************************************************

From Biography: Sam Westwood (2001)

Narrator: Unbeknownst to Sam, one of the Disney's top stars, Tommy Kirk, was losing favor with the studio.

Sam: I was kept in the dark as to why Tommy was on his way out. They weren't sure if Dean Jones was going to continue making films either.

All I knew at the time was that Robert Stevenson was directing two movies. I tested for 'The Monkey's Uncle' with Annette, which I didn't get. Then I tested for 'That Darn Cat!' with Hayley Mills. I was to play a character named Canoe Henderson.

Narrator: Tommy Kirk returned to Disney long enough to shoot The Monkey's Uncle, but it would be his last film for the studio before a sharp career decline.

Cut to footage of HAYLEY MILLS shot for the documentary

Mills: Sam was just a kid. He seemed very private at first, but polite. He asked a lot of questions about acting.

Sam: I asked anyone who happened to be on set for pointers. Haley, Roddy McDowell, Dean Jones...

Narrator: Right away, Sam knew the studio had a screen image set in stone.

Sam: To them, I was the stereotypical polite, upstanding boy next door. It was...stifling.

Mills: Sam was a natural

Cut to Sam

I was nervous! (laughs)

Last edited:
    Production on Eye Of The Devil (1966) and Sam's early work
  • September 1965

From an issue of Variety

“Sources say Kim Novak narrowly escaped a horse riding injury on the set of the J. Lee Thompson directed film Eye Of The Devil...” [1]

From a December 1965 issue of Variety

“Filming has been completed on Eye Of The Devil. The J. Lee Thompson directed film stars Kim Novak, David Niven, David Hemmings, and newcomer Sharon Tate. The John Calley and Martin Ranshoff production is set for a July 1966 release.”

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam: I really don't know if they knew what to do with me. I was too young for the Dick Van Dyke, Dean Jones-type roles and too old for the stuff Kurt Russell did later on. They considered me for the lead in The Ugly Dachshund because, at the time, Dean Jones was thinking about quitting films to become a pastor. They had me on standby in case. [2]

The interviewer is heard mentioning that Sam still appeared in said film.

Sam: Yeah, a part was written in just for me as the kid brother who dog sat. I was playing surfers and kid brothers. I picked up surfing in California, so it wasn't a stretch.

I'd get scripts for things, screen tests. There were a couple of offers for loan outs, but that was limited because they had to be approved. It was a very conservative environment in those days. Ten years later, Jodie Foster was allowed to appear in 'Taxi Driver'. That never would have happened back in '66.

They were paying me a salary, but I took a part-time job waiting tables at a restaurant because I needed to be busy. The owner was Japanese, and I learned a little which came in handy later.

Interviewer: When you shot films in Japan--

Sam nods

Sam: Anyway, I really wanted to do this movie called 'Lord Love A Duck' with Tuesday Weld and Ruth Gordon. Roddy McDowell was approached and he mentioned me to them. The film was a spoof of beach movies and I liked the dark humor. But it had some subject matter which Disney objected to. To be fair, some of it was questionable in hindsight. Roddy wound up doing it anyway. He was in his late 30's, I think, playing a teenager.

It was through Roddy that I met Sal Mineo. Sal was kind of...on his way out. To me, he was still a movie star. I respected what work of his I'd seen.

The off-camera interviewer is heard asking about rumors regarding Sam and Sal Mineo

Sal was interested, yes. But I secretly had a boyfriend at the time and wasn't interested in sharing.

Anyway, regarding the previous topic, I finally got loaned out to do 'Fireball 500' over at AIP with Fabian, Frankie Avalon, and Annette. I played this kid named Joey who died in a racing accident.

At Disney, I'd hear things like "We want you to play the prince in a live-action 'Sleeping Beauty' for television" or we have a script for you with Dean Jones or Dick Van Dyke". Nothing ever panned out. I tested for 'The Happiest Millionaire'. I can't sing to save my life. John Davidson also tested and he got the part. Honestly, John was a better fit. He could at least sing (laughs). And he enjoyed working there.

I was let go a few months before Disney passed away and was about to move back home. Dick Clayton approached me about being a client of his. Dick helped me land a part in a movie over at Warner Brothers which I shot later in the year. I'd go between New York City to film 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' and Los Angeles for various screentests--

[1] IOTL, this accident led to Deborah Kerr replacing Novak.

[2] Dean Jones finds religion earlier ITTL to the point of almost quitting acting.

Last edited:
    Don't Sleep In The Subway (1967)
  • From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Rare home movie footage from the set of Don't Sleep In The Subway (1967) is shown while Sam talks

Sam: Dick had me go see Jeff Corey, who was a respected acting teacher. To this day I credit him with helping me to become more comfortable around the camera. 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it was the first thing I genuinely enjoyed working on. Of course, I worked with Jeffrey Hunter quite a bit during the 1970's--

Don't Sleep In The Subway (Warner Brothers/7 Arts May 1967)

Synopsis

Fluffy romantic comedy from novice screenwriter Edward O'Malley about Broadway actress/pop star Lily Harper (Petula Clark), and her difficult Brill Building composer husband, Michael (Jeffrey Hunter).

Lily becomes jealous when Michael starts working with French chanteuse Julie Marchand (Francoise Hardy). Michael likewise becomes jealous when Lily invites a young actor, Tom Richardson (Sam Westwood) over to rehearse lines.

At a party, Julie insults Lily, not knowing the latter is fluent in French. Tom is there with his girlfriend Laura (Heather North). An argument ensues between Michael and the others as well as the popular television host Steve Scott (Paul Lynde). Steve gets a drink thrown in his face when Michael aims for Tom. This causes Julie to lose her much-publicized American television debut on Scott's show. Tom gets mad that Michael would accuse him of making moves on Lily and leaves the party alongside an upset Laura.

After Lily calls Michael 'stubborn', she too leaves the party. The next morning, after Michael hasn't returned home, Lily goes looking for him, eventually discovering him sleeping in the one place he always threatens to escape to after an arguement--a subway car.

At Lily's rehearsal, Tom fails to show up. The director tells Lily Tom has quit the show and rehearsals are off until a replacement is found. Lily, alongside Michael, who knows the truth, barge into Tom's apartment and find a distraught Tom who tells them that Laura has dumped him. Lily talks Tom into returning to the show, Michael apologizes to Tom, and the three set out to find Laura.

The trio shows up at Laura's work (a Madison Avenue advertising firm where she works the front desk) and Tom pleads his case. She takes him back and the four go to find Julie. After Lily talks to Julie in French (even referring to Michael as a 'fool') they all set out to find Steve Scott.

A series of comic misadventures ensue that result in Julie getting her television booking back (performing a cover of 'Catch A Falling Star') and Lily's show becoming a hit.

Notes

From Forgotten Films: 1966-1971 by Nolan Hendricks, 1998

Don't Sleep In The Subway came about when production on a proposed film to star Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift for Warner Brothers fell through after Clift's death on July 23rd, 1966. [1]

Sensing trouble on a Cleopatra level scale, Warner's scrapped the Taylor project. instead, the studio went in a different direction by going with a script by an upcoming writer-director named Edward O'Malley that could be shot quickly on a low budget. Warner Brothers Records star Petula Clark and fellow label act Francoise Hardy were the first signed and 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' was rushed into production for a late-1966 production date.

Jeffrey Hunter was far from the first choice for the male lead. His star had slipped significantly over the last few years and the actor was doing frequent projects overseas. Producers wanted James Garner. Hunter would later credit 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' with reviving his career. [2]

Reviews were mixed, Vincent Canby, then working for Variety, called the script 'stale'. However, in the same review, Clark and Hunter both received praise and up and comer Sam Westwood was touted as a 'name to watch out for'. The film is best known today for it's hit title track performed by Clark.

O'Malley would later score an even bigger success later in the year when he received a co-writing credit for the James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service...

Outtake From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

After being asked about O'Malley

Sam: It was 'Traffic Jam' where there were issues and he said things about me later on. We got along fine filming 'Subway'. 'Traffic Jam' is a completely different story (chuckles).

It's well documented that Edward had a drinking problem and it eventually wrecked his career. I think watching him is what made Jeff realize he also had a problem, to be honest--

[1]
    With Reflections In A Golden Eye not made ITTL, Warners (and a reluctant Jack Warner), with little else to promote, are forced to push Bonnie and Clyde from the get-go instead of trying to bury it for The Elizabeth Taylor/Marlon Brando film as IOTL.

[2] Hunter doesn't make the movie that resulted in the on-set accident that later contributed to his OTL death. This also butterflies Hunter's OTL third marriage to soap opera star Emily McLaughlin.

Last edited:
    Eye Of The Devil is released
  • From Mod Horror Super Special: A look at horror films in the 1960's by Nolan Hendricks, 1996:

"After a rocky shoot, Eye Of The Devil would finally hit cinemas during July 1966. The film was a box office hit. Sharon Tate received positive reviews for her film debut as the villainous Odile de Caray. Tate's previous credits had consisted of either bit parts or roles on TV shows such as Mister Ed and The Beverly Hillbillies. Most of these early TV roles had been part of a seven-year contract Tate had signed with Filmways in 1963 under Martin Ransohoff. Despite rumors that her voice had been dubbed by a British actress, The film got Sharon Tate noticed. Ransohoff set about planning follow-up films for his new star. However, someone else in Hollywood saw Eye Of The Devil and wanted to use Tate as well. And he wasn't willing to take no for an answer.

tumblr_ns8fecKbjj1sprhbeo1_1280.jpg

Kim Novak and Sharon Tate in Eye Of The Devil (1966)

Prior to Eye Of The Devil hitting movie theatres in the summer of 1966, Alfred Hitchcock asked to view a print of the film. The master of suspense reluctantly considered using Kim Novak (Vertigo), for his latest film production over at Universal. Following the mixed reviews coming in for his latest effort Torn Curtain, studio executives were less than thrilled with Hitchcock's decision to film an adaptation of the J.M. Barrie stage play Mary Rose.

Legend has it that by the time Hitchcock had finished viewing Eye Of The Devil, Kim Novak was out. it was now Sharon Tate he was interested in casting. Upon learning that Tate was under exclusive contract to Martin Ranshoff at Filmways, Universal Pictures tried to talk the film legend into making a different film. However, Hitchcock was determined that he would do whatever he could to get Mary Rose off the ground with Sharon Tate as his star...

Last edited:
    Sam Westwood is signed to Universal
  • From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam:
    Right after I shot 'Subway', Dick called and said he got me a contract at Universal. I wasn't thrilled, to be honest.

He explained to me that it was for three years, there was a clause in my contract to do films for other studios, and it would help build my career up. Outside of Universal, I tested for 'The Graduate' alongside Goldie Hawn. I really wanted to play Benjamin Braddock. Everybody in town tested for that role. I'm reading for Benjamin Braddock, Goldie's reading for Elaine Robinson...

Cut to Goldie Hawn on The Tonight Show, 1970

Goldie: We're doing this audition and I just start giggling. And then Sam Westwood breaks character too and he starts laughing--

Johnny Carson: It's hard to picture Sam Westwood laughing, Goldie.

Goldie: Oh he's a really funny guy. Did you see 'Don't Sleep In The Subway'?

JC: They told me not to sleep in the subway, so I didn't.

Audience laughs while Goldie giggles and rolls her eyes.

Goldie: He doesn't get to show that side a lot. Mike Nichols wasn't laughing (giggles)

Cut back to Sam

Sam: I'm surprised Goldie or myself even had careers after that incident. Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross...they were all good in it.

Honestly, I'm glad it fell through. I wouldn't have been able to do 'Mary Rose' if things turned out differently.

Interviewer: 'Subway' did ok. And you had a contract--

Sam: There were some decent reviews.

Dick wasn't very happy about how 'The Graduate' test went. He'd really put a lot of time and effort into convincing Mike Nichols that I was Benjamin Braddock. And I'd blown it. He called me up saying "Universal have a script, but you have to do a screen test. It's for Alfred Hitchcock, so please don't mess this one up".

Hitchcock wanted me to do a screen test for 'Mary Rose' as the son. Sharon Tate had just got out of her contract with Martin Ransohoff. I had seen her in 'Eye Of The Devil' and the idea of possibly working with her and Hitchcock sounded intriguing.

I auditioned for Hitchcock with Fay Compton.

Interviewer: Were you aware of how she played into Hitchcock wanting to make the movie or who she was?

Sam: No. Dick had to explain to me who Fay Compton was. It was a very intimidating audition. I was shocked when the call came back saying I had the part.

Last edited:
    Sam talks about TV
  • ***I don't generally take requests from readers, but I was trying to wrap this post up when claybaskit asked about Gidget. Seemed like a decent enough fit for Sam so that now brings us to the next post***

Sam Westwood talking about TV, 1997 public radio interview excerpt found on YouTube

The second thing I did was for television. I did an episode of 'Gidget'--

(Sam is talking about episode 15 from the one-season wonder titled 'Now There's A Face'. He played a photography student named Tom Brighton)

Interviewer: What was Sally Field like to work with?

Sam: Sally was nice. It was a quick shoot, you know, TV. And only about the...second or third thing I appeared in. I was still under my first film contract.

I: Did you actively pursue more film work as opposed to television?

Sam: No. I was open to doing TV.

I had another, less prominent guest spot on a sitcom with Phyllis Diller. End of 1966, I believe. All I remember is that my character's name was "Chub" (Sam laughs)

I: What was 'What's My Line' like?

Sam: It was like doing any other talk show or game show. You'd go in, do your thing and that was that. I was nervous the first time because, and you have to remember, I had been on film sets, but I hadn't done much live TV. It was when I was promoting an early film I did, 'Don't Sleep In The Subway'. Nobody guessed who I was that time (chuckles)

Sometimes they'd have people who were celebrities on but the guests didn't have to wear masks because they weren't always familiar to the general public at that time in their careers--

I: I think they did that with Arnold Palmer and, uh, Mary Quant--

Sam: Yeah. I vaguely recall a few instances of that. They'd sign in with an X and Arlene Francis and the rest of the panel would have to guess.

There was a young man on that had done a few commercials and they had to guess his name and what he had advertised. The panelists didn't have to wear masks for him. (laughs)

I shared my dressing room with another guest, so we didn't cross paths at that time. But, uh, about a year and a half later--

Last edited:
    The Films of Judy Garland 1965-1969
  • The Films Of Judy Garland, 1965-1969

Judy Garland talks about her mid-late 1960's films on The Dick Cavett Show, 1974. The musical film legend has just been asked by Cavett about her appearance in the 1965 flop Harlow opposite Carol Lynley

Judy: After rehearsing for about three weeks, I said to Carol Lynley "Carol, this is going to be a piece of...trash. I’m quitting"--

Cavett: You didn't say "trash" though, did you?

Judy (Laughing): You rat! Anyway, after I promised Carol I would stick around, we learned of the other Harlow with Carroll Baker. Then both of us tried to quit. Of course, they threatened to sue so we finished. What a lousy picture!

Cavett: After that, you did 'Valley Of The Dolls'

Judy: Another gem-- (Judy rolls her eyes)

Judy and Cavett chuckle while the audience laughs

Judy: Look, I absolutely loved working with Patty Duke, and Jean Seberg and Barbara Parkins. And I got to sing. But--

Cavett: That was an impressive cast

Judy: (nods) Unfortunately, it was not a very good movie, but those girls really saved it.

Cavett: Wasn't Sharon Tate supposed to play Jennifer before Jean Seberg was cast?

Judy: Yes, I believe so. I did do a truly awful, awful film after that--

Cavett: 'Angel, Angel Down We Go'?

Judy: Yes. That period of my life is when I was in the absolute gutter. I got married briefly and nearly died before the picture came out. Anyway, regarding the film, I needed the money and was too hopped up on pills to realize what a piece of garbage it was until filming. Poor Roddy McDowall was in that too. I said to him "Roddy, I have a feeling we're not at MGM anymore!" (laughs)

Cavett: It seems like in the last ten years though, you have become less affected by negative reviews--

Judy: I decided to search for a good script after, even if it took me years. And I had to get off the pills. I wanted to prove that I wasn't washed up, and it took some time but I feel like I've done it. (smiles)

Cavett: It was around then that you made comments about the gay rights movement. Do you feel like that affected your career?

Judy: No, I don't. Reporters kept, you know, pressuring me at the time. Poking at me, you know. I was asked about the riots in New York City.

Cavett: And you felt put on the spot.

Judy: Well, yes, I did. I said "Look you can let people push you around for so long until you just can't take it anymore. So, yes I understand why they went out and caused a commotion. If you were treated like that wouldn't you snap too?"

Judy Garland, talking about Valley Of The Dolls to After Dark Magazine, early 1978. This would turn out to be Garland's final magazine interview.

"Oh, I know that it was an awful movie, even though I got some great reviews for my musical number. Did you know that there are midnight showings of it and fans will show up dressed as Neely and Helen? Lorna took me to one in New York some time back and I started coming by to do Q&A sessions with the fans after. They love it!"

Last edited:
    Goldie Hawn
  • Snippets from Variety circa late 1966

"Connery announces On Her Majesty's Secret Service to be his last James Bond Movie"

"Sharon Tate has had her contract with Martin Ransohoff bought out by Universal Pictures. The Eye Of The Devil star is set to star in an adaptation of the J.M. Barrie play Mary Rose for Alfred Hitchcock. Tate was scheduled to film Don't Make Waves for MGM as part of her contract with Ransohoff. The Tony Curtis vehicle will now feature newcomer Goldie Hawn"

"Repulsion director Roman Polanski has started work on his latest film Fearless Vampire Killers. The Martin Ransohoff production will star actress Jill St. John (The Oscar)"

From Forgotten Films: 1966-1971 by Nolan Hendricks, 1998

goldie.jpg

Goldie Hawn

Goldie Hawn had a not particularly enjoyable experience making her debut film Don't Make Waves opposite Tony Curtis.

As Hawn would recall years later: "The atmosphere on set was already tense and it became worse when there was an accident on set"

The accident Hawn referred to happened when an uncredited stuntman drowned to death attempting to parachute into the Pacific Ocean.

The film was originally intended as a vehicle for Sharon Tate, who was replaced with the unknown Hawn after Tate's contract with producer Martin Ransohoff was bought out by Universal Pictures. MGM went all out to promote Hawn. Promotional gimmicks included an extensive publicity campaign based largely on Hawn and her character, Malibu. Life-sized cardboard cutouts of Hawn wearing a bikini were placed in cinema foyers throughout the United States. Hawn also took part in an advertising campaign for Coppertone.

Sadly, despite the heavy promotion and title track from The Byrds, Don't Make Waves fell flat at the box office, earning 1.25 million.

As Tony Curtis would later point out "It was a beach picture. And by then nobody wanted to see that"

Hawn still managed to get positive reviews for her performance. Unfortunately, it didn't translate into other roles right away. There was one offer to test for Elaine in The Graduate opposite Sam Westwood which according to both parties didn't go well. It wouldn't be until January 1968 when Hawn became a regular on TV's Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In that her career truly took off..."

Last edited:
    Elvis quits Hollywood
  • From Forgotten Films: 1966-1971 by Nolan Hendricks, 1998

"After Easy Come, Easy Go hit theatres in March 1967, rumors began circulating that Elvis Presley was thinking about ending his film career. Easy Come, Easy Go became infamous for the campy 'Yoga Is As Yoga Does' sequence featuring legendary character actress Elsa Lanchester. These novelty numbers and increasingly poor scripts, as demonstrated in Elvis' next film Clambake, led to him becoming increasingly frustrated.

On June 26th, 1967, Elvis would start filming his final movie, Speedway (1968). The picture cast him opposite another big recording star, Nancy Sinatra. After filming was completed, Elvis Presley shocked many by announcing his retirement from films. This naturally infuriated Tom Parker, who reluctantly went along with it..."

One of the handful of films Elvis was attached to at the time he quit movies, Stay Away Joe, remained in production as late as August 1967. Eventually, MGM backed out of the project and the script would later become retooled by a young Canadian filmmaker named Arthur Ericson--

Outtake from Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam Westwood is talking about the Summer of 1967 and drug culture

Sam: What was I doing during the Summer of Love? (laughs)

'Mary Rose' was in post-production and I was filming 'Journey To Shiloh'. I have always been active in civil rights causes. That was as radical as I got. In those days, I was really focused on work.

Living near the beach, though--I was friendly with people who could be labeled as hippies. Pre-Charles Manson, it seemed harmless. Harris was a little hippie-ish--

A voice is heard next to Sam. It's quite obvious that it belongs to Harris Walker.

Harris (off camera): In the late 60's and early 70's, if there were available drugs, I was usually in. (laughs)

Sam doesn't seem to find this as funny.

Sam: In those days, you would go to Hollywood parties and there was a really wide assortment of people. I liked that. It wasn't boring. It was surreal because you'd have the Old Hollywood stars in one corner. Henry Fonda, for example. Then someone like Natalie Wood who was technically Old Hollywood but still young enough to dabble with New Hollywood--

Last edited:
    Conversations with Harris
  • **A little mood music for the next few posts, if you like that with your reading material**

Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

Harris: I wanted to be an actor from a very young age. But nobody really supported it.

Nolan: From what you have told me, it wasn't easy--

Harris: I was the second of four kids. When I was a child, I was...well, I was the whipping boy. I couldn't wait to get out. There weren't resources in those days, nobody you could run to for help if you were the victim of child abuse or molestation--

Nolan, can you...stop the tape? Please. This is...hard to talk about.

Harris' tone hints that he sounds rather upset about bringing his childhood up. When the interview goes back to being recorded, Harris is now talking about high school.

Harris: Ok. Is it back on?

Nolan: Yes.

Harris: As I got older, I played football and started lifting weights. I wanted to be strong so as to defend myself at home. And against bullies. It wasn't out of trying to impress people. I also wanted to do theatre or art classes, but my parents didn't support that. I did it anyway. Screw 'em.

It was getting easier to defy them and not face consequences. I started fighting back at home. Keeping busy with sports and drama club was my escape. I was in some school plays and dated a girl briefly who was in the drama club. She went away and...I never saw her again. From what I gather, she came back a few months later. Never gave it much thought for many years--

Can we stop the tape again, Nolan? I'd rather talk to you about this without the tape rolling.

The tape stops. It continues with Harris talking about heading to California in the summer of 1966.

Harris: Right after graduation, I hopped a bus and took off to Los Angeles.

Nolan: A lot of people show up and think they can break into films or TV right away. There is a lot of hard work involved if you want to make it--

Harris: See, that's just the thing. I thought I'd show up and become a star overnight. It doesn't work like that. Even Sam had to pay his dues.

I was a...hick from Topeka. There were some rude awakenings. This guy came up to me and said: "Hey kid, wanna do some physique shots?"

Nolan: That doesn't sound very suspicious at all.

Harris: Oh no, not at all. I was incredibly naive. I get there and was asked to strip. I thought it would just be shirtless or you know, underwear shots. I was starving, needed the money and wound up having to use my body to earn it. I'm not proud of that fact.

Nolan: I want to mention that you had regular jobs though--

Harris: Yeah, at a hamburger stand. I had a rude customer and you know, spat in their burger.

Harris makes a spitting sound. Nolan is heard laughing awkwardly.

Harris: Not my shining moment. So I had another guy come up to me. "Hey kid, ya wanna make a movie?".

This was all in the span of...I don't know....three months?

Anyway, it was an eight-millimetre solo porn loop. Got me in trouble later and my first management team dropped me. I also did some...uh...what you could call artistic modelling. I still did that as late as my first brush with Hollywood films. Usually in New York City, which was another entirely different debacle. By fall, I realized I needed to get my s*** together and take some actual acting classes. And find a job to pay for it. So I took a job at a movie theatre as an usher.

I want to set something straight while we are talking. I did nude photos, I did a dirty movie, but I never resorted to soliciting myself. That was a nasty rumour that hit---

Nolan: I know that isn't true.

Harris: Good. I got around, but not for money. Never.

Nolan:
    You were discovered at the end of the year.

Harris: Yes. I had this friend who was trying to get work. We'd met taking acting classes and he'd drive me around. I went with him to this audition. He got the job, but a casting agent saw me and asked if I would be interested in auditioning for a shaving cream commercial. That led to me getting my first agent.

Nolan: Things started to happen fast for you.

Harris: It was really weird. In only several months, I had left home, done some rather...questionable work and then landed legitimate modeling gigs. And commercials--

Nolan: And spat in someone's burger (chuckles)

Harris: Yeah, that too. Promise me you won't ever do that, ok?

Nolan: You don't have to worry about that, Harris.

Harris: Good.

Last edited:
    Fearless Vampire Killers: The Aftermath
  • From Mod Horror Super Special: A look at horror films in the 1960's by Nolan Hendricks, 1996:

Excerpts from a chapter on the films of the late Roman Polanski. A few lines about the MGM release The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) starring Jill St. John.

Producer Martin Ransohoff tried to get Polanski to cast Sharon Tate instead. By the time Polanski got around to casting, Tate had her contract with Ransohoff bought out by Universal Pictures. As a result, this left Polanski with his original choice, Jill St. John. At the time, St. John was engaged to pop singer Jack Jones--

Fearless Vampire Killers was upstaged by another film Jill St. John had in release around the same time, the Frank Sinatra vehicle Tony Rome--

Polanski and St John became popular fodder for the gossip columnists. As Jack Jones remembers it:

"Jill became so infatuated with Roman Polanski that I knew our days together were numbered. She broke our engagement off not long after the film came out"

Jill St. John and Roman Polanski would marry on January 20th, 1968--

Abigail Folger, heiress, human rights activist and writer being quoted in a 1994 People Magazine article:

"It was a weird pairing, Jill was a very glitzy Hollywood actress. Roman was more the intellectual type. To be honest, I didn't really click with her..."

Natalie Wood talking about Robert Wagner in a 1983 television interview with Barbara Walters:

Walters
    (voiceover): It's obvious that Robert Wagner is a painful subject for Natalie, but she politely answers when asked about her late ex-husband's friendship with Polanski and St. John.

Cut to Natalie Wood: I knew RJ was very close friends with Jill St. John and that he'd hang around with Jill and Roman Polanski quite often--

Jay Sebring, Celebrity hairstylist and one-time boyfriend of Sharon Tate to Playboy Magazine, 1975:

"Sharon and I knew them, but not very well..."

Last edited:
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service (United Artists, June 14th, 1967)
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (United Artists, June 14th, 1967)

Directed by Lewis Gilbert

Written by Richard Maibaum and Edward O'Malley

Music by Burt Bachrach and Hal David. “The World Is Not Enough” and "The Look Of Love" performed by Dusty Springfield [1]

Full Cast Listing

Sean Connery as James Bond 007

Catherine Deneuve as Teresa "Tracy" Di Vincenzo/Tracy Bond

Donald Pleasance as Blofeld

Charles Boyer as Marc-Andre Draco- The head of the Union Corse, a Corsican crime syndicate. He is also the father of Tracy.

Ilse Steppat as Irma Bunt- Blofeld's henchwoman.
    Returns in You Only Live Twice (1969).

Britt Ekland as Olympe – Draco's female assistant

Bernard Lee as M – Head of the British Secret Service

Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny

Desmond Llewelyn as Q

George Baker as Sir Hilary Bray – Herald in the London College of Arms, who Bond impersonates in Piz Gloria. Baker also provided the voice of Bond imitating Bray.

Yuri Borienko as Grunther – Blofeld's brutish chief of security at Piz Gloria.

Bernard Horsfall as Shaun Campbell – 007's colleague who tries to aid Bond in Switzerland as part of Operation Bedlam.

Blofeld's Angels Of Death:

Julie Ege as Helen, a Scandinavian girl

Jenny Hanley as an Irish girl

Anouska Hempel as an Australian girl

Wendy Richard as an English girl

Catherina Von Schell as Nancy, a Hungarian girl at the clinic whom Bond seduces

Angela Scoular as Ruby Bartlett, an English girl at the clinic suffering from an allergy to chickens

Mona Chong as a Chinese girl

Sylvana Henriques as a Jamaican girl

Lana Wood as an American girl

Zara as an Indian girl

Karin Dor as a German girl

Helena Ronee as an Israeli girl

From the IMDB trivia section page

Richard Maibaum co-wrote the script alongside Edward O'Malley. O'Malley would go on to pen the script for 1969's You Only Live Twice and 1971's Diamonds Are Forever. He also wrote the scripts to the Nigel Turner detective movies starring future James Bond (and star of The Saint) Roger Moore.

Two popular Dusty Springfield songs feature on the soundtrack: 'The World Is Not Enough' and 'The Look Of Love' [1]

'The World Is Not Enough' is a reference to a scene in the film where
    Bond, while visiting the College of Arms, finds that the family motto of Sir Thomas Bond is "The World Is Not Enough".

Final James Bond film for Sean Connery.

Despite the much darker tone and tragic ending, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service still received positive reviews and did brisk box office.

Brigitte Bardot was considered for the role of Tracy Di Vincenzo/Bond before Catherine Deneuve was cast.

Charles Boyer had turned down a proposed rival production of Casino Royale also for United Artists. The film, which was to be comedic in nature, never made it into production.

Deneuve and Boyer would later appear together again in The April Fools (1969) opposite Jack Lemmon and Myrna Loy.

Wendy Richard and future Bond girl Joanna Lumley (You Only Live Twice) later appeared together on an episode of Are You Being Served? In which Richard played the regular role of Miss Brahms.

[1] No relation to the 1999 OTL James Bond theme by Garbage. This theme is a big Dusty Springfield ballad penned by Bacharach and David along the lines of “You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me”. As mentioned, Casino Royale is not made ITTL. This leaves Burt Bachrach and Hal David free to pen the score for this film.

Mary Rose (1967)
  • Mary Rose (Universal, December 21st, 1967)

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Written By Jay Presson Allen (Based on the play Mary Rose by J.M. Barrie)

Cast

Sharon Tate as Mary Rose

Rod Taylor as Simon- Husband of Mary Rose

James Stewart as Mr. Morland- Mary Rose's father

Ingrid Bergman as Mrs. Morland- Mary Rose's mother

Fay Compton as Mrs. Otery-Housekeeper

Leo G. Carroll as Mr. Amy

Bernard Cribbins as Cameron

With Sam Westwood as Kenneth- Son of Simon and Mary Rose

Plot

A man named Kenneth (Westwood) visits a haunted house that’s for sale. He explains to the keeper of the house, Mrs. Otery (Compton), that he used to live there as a child. Kenneth points out details he remembers. There’s a hidden door that leads to another room, but it’s locked. He inquires about the ghost stories. Mrs. Otery reluctantly tells him it’s just some scared little woman, nothing to fear. Kenneth then has an off-camera spooky encounter with the unseen ghost.

The film then flashes back to when the house was new. The parents of Mary Rose, Mr. and Mrs. Morland (Stewart and Bergman) and a friend of theirs, Mr. Amy (Carroll) are introduced. Finally, we meet Mary Rose (Tate). She's eighteen and wants to marry an older man named Simon (Taylor). The Morlands want to talk to Simon alone first. Mary Rose goes up to the attic to knock on the floor to let Simon know she’s nearby and supporting him. Mr. and Mrs. Morland tells Simon a story about Mary Rose that they feel he should know before marrying her. When Mary Rose was a child, they took her to an island in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides on a vacation. The name of the place translates to “The Island That Likes To Be Visited" in Gaelic. During the holiday, Mary Rose would go missing for thirty days. She is found again in the same spot she vanished from, not realizing she had been gone. Mr. and Mrs. Morland never told her what happened. Simon is not bothered by the story. Mary Rose's parents consent to the marriage. Simon and Mary reunite, celebrate, and Mary mentions taking him to her favorite island in the Hebrides someday.

Cut to a few years later with Mary Rose and her husband on vacation on the very same island. The couple has a three-year-old son back home named Kenneth. A ferryman named Cameron (Cribbins) has lunch with them.
    Cameron tells Simon and Mary Rose stories about the island, one of which was the story of Mary Rose’s disappearance that doesn’t quite click with her. As they prepare to leave, Mary Rose disappears once again.

The film cuts to almost thirty years later at the house with the now elderly Morlands and Mr. Amy. Mary Rose was never found. Simon comes back to see them. He’s a Captain of a vessel in WWI. Kenneth is missing and thought to be taken prisoner of war. They get news. Mary Rose has been found. Cameron found her back in the spot where they left her thirty years ago and he’s bringing her home. When she arrives, they discover that Mary Rose is still young. And Mary Rose likewise cannot fathom what’s happened to her. She keeps crying for Kenneth, her son.

The film cuts back to Kenneth, who the audience realizes is much older than he appears, with Mrs. Otery in the now abandoned haunted house. Kenneth goes through the tiny door to the other room and discovers that the ghost is, of course, his mother, Mary Rose. Kenneth's interaction with Mary resolves her ghostly wandering and searching for her long-lost son. In a sequence full of effects, the film ends with Mary Rose returning to the island.

Reception

Reviews for Mary Rose were mixed. Westwood and Tate were praised for their performances. Press on Allen's very talky script seemed to be the major source of criticism. Pauline Kael commented in an early 1968 essay that "Tate is very haunting in her portrayal of Mary Rose. And Sam Westwood proves that he is a very capable young actor who helps bring a level of boyish naivety to the role of Kenneth. The film seems to go nowhere until the last half. And it's very moving. If one can make it that far. It would work better as an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents than as a feature film"

From Sam Westwood's infamous Interview Magazine cover feature, 1982

"Kael was kind of right in her review when she said I brought a level of "boyish naivety" to the part. Hitch said he wanted to use a youthful-looking actor to make the character appear more how Mary Rose remembered him as a child. What led him to cast me, I'll never know. I actually got some good reviews, but if you didn't get what he was doing, it probably came off as miscasting--"

Or as Hitchcock himself would admit towards the end of his life:

"I cast Sam Westwood because I wanted a young man to play Mary Rose's son. He is older in the script, but I wanted to audience to wonder if the same thing had happened to Kenneth when he too had gone missing. Had this man been rendered ageless as well? I think it got lost on critics, but Mr. Westwood did a credible job"

The film still did reasonable box office, and Hitchcock would be vindicated somewhat when Mary Rose was nominated for several Academy Awards.

Last edited:
    40th Academy Awards April 10th, 1968
  • List of 40th Academy Awards winners and nominees
    (For first-time readers, winners are bolded)

40th_Academy_Awards.jpg

Best Picture

In The Heat Of The Night

The Graduate
    Bonnie & Clyde
    Cool Hand Luke
    Mary Rose

Best Actor

Paul Newman, Cool Hand Luke

Dustin Hoffman, The Graduate
    Warren Beatty, Bonnie & Clyde
    Rod Steiger, In The Heat Of The Night
    Sidney Poitier, In The Heat Of The Night

Best Actress

Audrey Hepburn, Wait Until Dark

Sandy Dennis, Up The Down Staircase
    Faye Dunaway, Bonnie & Clyde
    Edith Evans, The Whisperers
    Anne Bancroft, The Graduate

Best Supporting Actor

Gene Hackman, Bonnie & Clyde

Rod Taylor, Mary Rose
    Cecil Kellaway, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
    Michael J. Pollard, Bonnie & Clyde
    John Cassavetes, The Dirty Dozen

Best Supporting Actress

Estelle Parsons, Bonnie & Clyde

Judy Garland, Valley Of The Dolls
    Katharine Ross, The Graduate
    Beah Richards, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
    Ingrid Bergman, Mary Rose

Best Director

Arthur Penn – Bonnie and Clyde

Mike Nichols – The Graduate
    Stanley Kramer – Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    Richard Brooks – In Cold Blood
    Norman Jewison – In the Heat of the Night

Best Screenplay Written Directly For The Screen

Bonnie and Clyde by David Newman and Robert Benton

Divorce, American Style by Norman Lear and Robert Kaufman
    Guess Who's Coming To Dinner by William Rose
    La Guerre Est Finie by Jorge Semprun
    Two For The Road by Frederic Raphael

Best Screenplay Based On Material From Another Medium

In The Heat Of The Night by Sterling Siliphant

Cool Hand Luke by Donna Pearce and Frank R. Pierson
    The Graduate by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry
    In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks
    Mary Rose by Jay Presson Allen

Best Cinematography

Robert Burks, Mary Rose

Burnett Guffey, Bonnie & Clyde
    Conrad Hall, In Cold Blood
    Richard H. Kline, Camelot
    Robert Surtees- The Graduate

Best Art/Set Decoration

Mary Rose

Camelot
    The Taming Of The Shrew
    Valley Of The Dolls
    Thoroughly Modern Millie

Best Costume Design

Theodora Van Rankle, Bonnie & Clyde

John Truscott, Camelot
    Bill Thomas, The Happiest Millionaire
    Edith Head, Mary Rose
    Jean Louis, Thoroughly Modern Millie

Best Film Editing

In the Heat of the Night – Hal Ashby

Beach Red
    – Frank P. Keller
    The Dirty Dozen – Michael Luciano
    Doctor Dolittle – Samuel E. Beetley and Marjorie Fowler
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner – Robert C. Jones

Best Sound

In The Heat Of The Night

The Dirty Dozen
    Beach Red
    Mary Rose
    Bonnie & Clyde

Best Original Song

"Theme From Valley Of The Dolls" from Valley Of The Dolls

"The World Is Not Enough" from On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    "The Eyes Of Love" from Banning
    "To Sir, With Love" from To Sir, With Love
    "The Bare Necessities" from The Jungle Book

Best Original Score

Bernard Hermann, Mary Rose

Lalo Schifrin, Cool Hand Luke
    Richard Rodney Bennett, Far From The Madding Crowd
    Quincy Jones, In Cold Blood
    Elmer Bernstein, Thoroughly Modern Millie

Best Scoring- Adaptation Or Treatment

John Williams, Valley Of The Dolls

Burt Bachrach and Hal David, On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DeVol, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
    Alfred Newman & Ken Darby, Camelot
    Andre Previn & Joseph Gershenson, Thoroughly Modern Millie

Best Special Visual Effects

Mary Rose

Tobruk

Best Sound Effects

The Dirty Dozen

Mary Rose

Most Wins: Bonnie and Clyde (5)

In The Heat Of The Night and Mary Rose tied for four wins
    each.

There are still categories for short subjects, documentaries, cartoons, etc. However, I will only be covering the feature film categories. At some point, I might focus strictly on the main categories.

Last edited:
    Mid-1968
  • Mentioned in Variety during spring, 1968

“MGM has purchased the film rights to the Broadway musical How Now, Dow Jones...“ [1]

Select IMDB Trivia Notes on Rosemary's Baby

large_gordon-rosemary.jpg

Mia Farrow was originally cast but had to pull out when husband Frank Sinatra was upset at her for taking the part as she had agreed to star opposite him in The Detective instead.

Director Roman Polanski wanted to cast Jill St. John as Rosemary Woodhouse but didn't want to suggest it personally to Paramount head Robert Evans and Producer William Castle. [2]

After Mia Farrow dropped out, Tuesday Weld and Sharon Tate were both considered. Neither proved to be available. Carol Lynley was eventually cast based on her performance in 1965's Bunny Lake Is Missing.

The final film of director Roman Polanski.

Carol Lynley would receive a Best Actress Academy Award nomination for her performance as Rosemary Woodhouse, while John Cassavetes was nominated for Best Actor as Guy Woodhouse. Neither would win, but Ruth Gordon would receive an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. At 72 years old, Gordon was the oldest winner in that category at the time.

Excerpts from a Life Magazine profile on Sharon Tate, May 1968

29816059958_a7ba22653f_b.jpg

“She’s only appeared in three films, but already Sharon Tate has worked with the likes of David Niven, Ingrid Bergman, and Alfred Hitchcock, just to name a few. Life sits down with the Texas native to discuss her upcoming role in the film What's So Bad About Feeling Good? and adjusting to the Hollywood scene...”

“The Mary Rose actress, 25, is excited about the film, telling Life that light comedies are something she'd like to make more of and that she enjoyed working with her co-star George Peppard..."

Footnotes

[1] Long forgotten 1967-1968 Broadway musical IOTL. This is the period when studios were trying to replicate The Sound Of Music by releasing more musicals (Finian's Rainbow, The Song Of Norway, etc.)

[2] Wiliam Castle was best known for a string of gimmick-driven horror films in the 1950’s and 1960’s such as The Tingler and the Joan Crawford schlock fest Strait-Jacket. Castle wanted to direct Rosemary’s Baby, as he held the film rights, but Paramount gave Castle producer duties instead.

Sam talks 'Journey To Shiloh' and Harrison Ford
  • Journey To Shiloh Sam Westwood Poster.jpg

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam is talking about the 1968 western Journey To Shiloh that he starred in alongside James Caan and a young Harrison Ford.*

Sam: I wasn't sure about the script, but agreed to do it. I was under contract. Harrison Ford was in that movie. It was right before he did 'Midnight Cowboy'.

The interviewer is heard asking Sam about Harrison Ford

Sam: I liked him. He was very quiet, polite. We both traveled in similar circles and worked with George A. Romero. Harrison was smart. When there weren't decent scripts, he'd take carpentry jobs.

It was a pretty good time in my life. Before 'The Grifters', I could still go out and not get recognized as much. I thought my look was a bit generic--

Interviewer: There is a joke online about people getting you mixed up with other actors--

Sam: Oh yeah, I know about that (laughs)

Kent McCord was one of them. Not so much now but when we were both younger there was said to be a resemblance. The first time I hosted 'Saturday Night Live', there was a skit about it.

Anyway, I'd go to the movies a lot. I saw this film called 'Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips'. It was probably one of the worst things I ever sat through but the male lead drew me in--

The film cuts to a man in the same room as Sam with close-cropped salt and pepper hair, a trim beard, and very distinctive grey-blue eyes. He's been through the wringer but still looks and acts younger than his late 60's. His name is Harris Walker and he is identified as the husband of Sam Westwood...

*Sam had the Michael Sarrazin role

Harris Walker talks about early film roles, Altman and Elizabeth Taylor
  • Cult movie star and character actor Harris Walker being interviewed on tape by Nolan Hendricks, circa 1988/89. Interviews later released with full permission of Harris Walker for a project by Nolan called Conversations with Harris.

Harris is talking about his early film roles

Harris: I auditioned on occasion but kept doing commercials and catalog modeling until my first film.

Nolan: 'Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips'

Harris: The original script was written for Elvis. They changed it around for a younger actor and cast me.

Even after the script changes, I was probably still too young for the part. But I have dark hair and bright eyes and at the time no stubble. My management sensed that the film was going to be a turkey, so I was rushed into going up to Vancouver to shoot 'That Cold Day In The Park' which had an actress named Elizabeth Taylor in it. (chuckles)

Nolan: Rings a bell

Both men laugh

Harris: The kid they cast fell through. Michael Burns. He'd done a film with Sam. Western movie. When they cast me and Elizabeth, it gave the film a different vibe. We all knew the film could be written off--

Nolan: There was a different type of leading man coming in too. The Dustin Hoffman types--

Harris: Yeah. I ran lines with Elizabeth on a regular basis because I spent a great deal of that movie half dressed and didn't want to get written off as beefcake. And I made myself look disheveled for the earlier scenes because the kid was supposed to be homeless.

'Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips' opened and just got torn apart by the critics. My management and publicity at the time played up the Altman film.

Nolan: I just saw 'That Cold Day In The Park' recently for the first time and it's actually...disturbing.

Harris: It was a difficult film for me to make because the subject matter is disturbing. Elizabeth could tell something was wrong and I confided a few things to her. That's how we bonded--

Last edited:
    First Impressions
  • Back to Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Harris is talking about officially meeting Sam for the first time

Harris: My publicist had me attend this Hollywood party to mingle with some showbiz people. I had been visiting with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, but they went off and I was at a table in the corner by myself. I kinda looked up and saw this really attractive guy walking towards me. I had watched 'Mary Rose' so I knew who he was.

Sam comes up and compliments me on my acting in 'Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips'. He must have been the only person who saw the damn thing. I already felt out of place at this party and honestly thought he'd been sent over to pull my leg, so I started to get up.

Sam: The irony was, I had heard Harris was there and wanted to meet him.

Harris: I relented cuz I didn't want to cause a scene. I suspected he was trying to pick me up, but I hadn't heard rumors about Sam being gay at that time.

Sam: Sal Mineo and his ex, Jill Haworth knew about me exclusively seeing other men. Eventually, it became a well-guarded open secret.

Harris: Sam took me over and introduced me to Sharon Tate, Christopher Jones, and Goldie Hawn.

Sam: Goldie was my "date" that night.

Sam: Sharon had done this movie with Elizabeth Taylor called 'Secret Ceremony' and they'd got on well and Elizabeth came over--

Harris: It was probably destined that I'd run into Sam that night because he was friendly with Sharon Tate and Elizabeth and Sharon were still promoting 'Secret Ceremony'--

Last edited:
    41st Academy Awards
  • 41st_Academy_Awards.jpg

41st Academy Awards: Winners and Nominees (Select Categories)

Best Picture

Funny Girl
    – Ray Stark

The Subject Was Roses- Edgar Lansbury
    Oliver! – John Woolf
    Rachel, Rachel – Paul Newman
    Romeo and Juliet – John Brabourne and Anthony Havelock-Allan

Best Director

William Wyler- Funny Girl

Ulu Grosbard- The Subject Was Roses
    Paul Newman- Rachel, Rachel
    Stanley Kubrick – 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Franco Zeffirelli – Romeo and Juliet

Best Actor

Alan Arkin – The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter as John Singer

Martin Sheen- The Subject Was Roses as Timmy Cleary
    Cliff Robertson – Charly as Charlie Gordon
    John Cassavetes- Rosemary’s Baby as Guy Woodhouse
    Peter O'Toole – The Lion In Winter as King Henry II of England

Best Actress

Patricia Neal – The Subject Was Roses as Nettie Cleary*

Joanne Woodward – Rachel, Rachel as Rachel Cameron
    Barbra Streisand – Funny Girl as Fanny Brice
    Carol Lynley- Rosemary’s Baby as Rosemary Woodhouse
    Vanessa Redgrave – Isadora as Isadora Duncan

*There was an uproar over Katharine Hepburn getting snubbed for The Lion In Winter.

Best Supporting Actor

Jack Albertson The Subject Was Roses as John Cleary

Seymour Cassel – Faces as Chet
    Daniel Massey – Star! as Noël Coward
    Jack Wild – Oliver! as Jack Dawkins ("The Artful Dodger")
    Gene Wilder – The Producers as Leo Bloom

Best Supporting Actress

Ruth Gordon- Rosemary’s Baby as Minnie Castanets

Sondra Locke – The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter as Mick Kelly
    Lynn Carlin – Faces as Maria Frost
    Kay Medford – Funny Girl as Rose Stern Borach
    Estelle Parsons – Rachel, Rachel as Calla Mackie

Best Original Screenplay

The Producers – Mel Brooks

2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke
    The Battle of Algiers – Franco Solinas and Gillo Pontecorvo
    Faces – John Cassavetes
    Hot Millions – Ira Wallach and Peter Ustinov

Best Adapted Screenplay

Funny Girl- Isobel Lennart

The Subject Was Roses- Frank D. Gilroy
    Rachel, Rachel – Stewart Stern
    The Odd Couple – Neil Simon
    Rosemary's Baby – Roman Polanski

Best Original Score (Not A Musical)

The Thomas Crown Affair
    – Michel Legrand

The Lion in Winter – John Barry
    The Fox – Lalo Schifrin
    Planet of the Apes – Jerry Goldsmith
    The Shoes of the Fisherman – Alex North

Best Original or Adaptation Score

Funny Girl – Walter Scharf

Oliver! – John Green
    Finian's Rainbow – Ray Heindorf
    Star! – Lennie Hayton
    The Young Girls of Rochefort – Adaptation: Michel Legrand; Song Score: Michel Legrand and Jacques Demi

Best Original Song

"The Windmills of Your Mind" from The Thomas Crown Affair

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    "For Love of Ivy" from For Love of Ivy
    "Funny Girl" from Funny Girl
    "Star!" from Star!

Best Visual Effects

2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick

Ice Station Zebra – Hal Millar and J. McMillan Johnson

Last edited:
    Not Starring: Model Shop (1969)
  • From a cassette tape of Sam talking to Nolan Hendricks circa 1989/90. Later included as a special feature on DVD copies of Sam Westwood's Hollywood.

Sam has just been asked what the biggest regret of his early career was.

Sam: My biggest regret from that time period?

That's Easy. It's not doing 'Model Shop'.

Nolan: The story goes that Harrison Ford was the first choice and Columbia didn't want him--

Sam: Yeah. Then Jacques Demy asked me personally, but things didn't pan out.

This was...uh, Spring, 1968. I did promotional work for a western called 'Journey To Shiloh' that May. Harrison had a small part in that. Speak of the devil.

Anyway,
    there were reshoots on a film I had shot at the start of 1968 and it coincided with 'Model Shop' filming in June. Jacques Demy offered to wait but I had already committed to 'Eye Of The Cat'. So they cast Gary Lockwood.

Nolan: 'Model Shop' was sort of buried--

Sam: I know it flopped, but I still regret not having the chance to work with Jacques Demy.

Nolan: Harrison Ford got revenge on Columbia--

Sam laughs

Sam: Well, when 'Midnight Cowboy' blew up, Harrison Ford became a bigger star than myself or Gary Lockwood. As you know, he went over to Columbia after all that--the getting rejected--and did a picture with George A. Romero. Once you make it, the studios sort of forget about turning you down previously. You become a commodity.

1969...what a strange year that was.

Last edited: