Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome chapter :) Especially

Friday, April 14, 1989

The Harrisburg Standoff:

A group of Holy Battalion militants attempt to detain members of a Bozeman Commune, founded and filled by LGBTQ people seeking to build their own community, in the town of Harrisburg, NE. However, the arrest is resisted by local law enforcement.

Harrisburg

Joseph smiled as he and five of his fellow brothers in Christ dismounted the military truck that took them him. He felt giddy, as the sodomites and their perversions would finally be cast into the fires of Hell where they belonged!

His blood boiled as he saw the rainbow colored arch that adorned the entrance to their personal Sodom. Such a bold declaration of sin! What an abomination. To his confusion, Joseph saw the sheriff – Bridges, a hard-nosed old man- along with his two deputies, a college-aged guy and a middle-aged woman, march out beneath that disgusting arch.

“Sheriff, have you finally decided to see what is right?” Joseph called out in his best thunderous, would-be-old-testament-profit-voice, attracting the attention of his men.

“Yes, I have,” Bridges said flatly. “You’re going to leave these people the hell alone.”

Joseph barely maintained his smile, but he soon felt his fellow brothers were fuming.

“What”, Brother Matthew exclaimed incredulously. “You contemptible sinner!”

“Brother Matthew,” Joseph interrupted, holding up his hand. He then tried to give a sincere smile to Bridges. “Come now, Sheriff. We only wish to cure these people of their unholy perversions.”

“You mean, ship them off to your concentration camp,” barked the younger deputy, Simon.

“Yeah, over our dead body,” Janice, the female deputy said.

“Why do you insist on defending these people,” Joseph asked, his voice becoming stern, as he turned toward Bridges,” surely you’re as disgusted by these people as any God-fearing man is?”

Only a couple of years ago, Bridges would have been inclined to agree. He remembered when the Libertarians, really money-loving liberals from back East, took over the community. Then followed Alan, and his pack of 15 gays and lesbians, who wanted to build their own town without fear.

Bridges had been very opposed to letting queers and their liberal ways in his town. He had raged to the Libertarian mayor, some New York hippie, who proclaimed “live and let live” and welcomed them in-or more specifically - welcomed the fact that they were buying up land.

To Bridges surprise, they actually brought business to his town. Eventually after some cajoling from his wife, he accepted a dinner invitation from Alan and his “life partner”. They seemingly behaved like a couple, and he did enjoy their food. Now they often met for bowling and beer.

“Yes, Joseph I don’t like how they live,” Bridges admitted. His jaw set as he saw Joseph beaming and his deputies giving him crooked smiles. “But my job is to protect people, not tell them how to live, and protect how they choose too.” He glared at the nut. “You want these people, you’re going to have to go through us.”

Joseph’s smile seemed to grow more arrogant.

“You are outmatched and outgunned,” Joseph declared. “But if you wish to be the Devil’s agents, we will gladly introduce you to him.” He stepped back as the five other Holy Battalion men with him pulled out their rifles. Bridges and his deputies pulled out their guns. Just when somebody was about to fire, a massive explosion was heard. Bridges and his deputies hit the ground. After a moment, they looked up and saw some of Alan and his friends walking over, carrying weapons. Alan was holding a collection of grenades. He saw five of the HBs dead, and saw Joseph writhing in agony, probably perforated by some shrapnel, and swearing up a storm (which he had admonished others for doing).

“Alan that was incredible,” Simon exclaimed, “I didn’t know you had it in you?”

“What didn’t think a fag like me had any teeth,” Alan asked, a sad smile on his face. Simon and Janice looked somewhat embarrassed, not meeting Alan’s eyes.

“Well,” Bridges said slowly,” I mean we thought you look you liberals didn’t like war”. Alan gave him a somewhat severe look. “We don’t like to fight wars that we feel are not our fight. We fight for things we feel are worth it. Our rights, our country,” he gestured to Bridges, “you guys.” Alan and his friends had the expressions of men prepared to march into hell.

Bridges felt a great amount of respect for these people. The fact that he was closer to them then to the so-called “Warriors of Christ”, showed how much had changed in only a few short years.

I like this one a lot - really shows how all decent Americans can come together against the CVs. Awesome stuff :D

great update, only objection is the pope endorsing MBA Communism, since I doubt they have dropped their anti religion Bull (softened it maybe but certainly not drop it)and are still totalitarians, who while better than ITTL America, are still ruthless as heck and more than willing to suppress free speech.

Awesome chapter :) Especially

I like this one a lot - really shows how all decent Americans can come together against the CVs. Awesome stuff :D

The Bozeman-Libertarian movement, to me, was one of the more underrated parts of the TL, and one I felt deserved examination.

It is kind of funny that the ranchers and cowboys, frustrated by the GOP's failures in the 1970s, inadvertently brought social radicalism to their own borders by electing a party that reflected their individualist id.

It is even more amazing to see these cowboys and ranchers embrace their new social landscape and fight alongside their new neighbors, lured to their lands by low taxes and the promise of government not getting in the bedroom.

China's going to get a bigger Muslim population. If I have to guess - 15% by 2018? Maybe 20%, though 25% would be stretching.

Alabama does appear to hold out by the time of the “Rummyhorror” update. And if Texas and Louisiana break with CV, that should reopen some supply lines.
It did? I was under the impression that Alabama and Louisiana was under at least nominal CV control and only Texas was still holding out.

Sheezus... well, here's the first divergence from the Rummyhorror update a long time back: Pat Robertson dead in an "accident", and Steve Symms as the President now. When will we see the Pershing missiles deployed against Capitol Hill?

Sheezus... well, here's the first divergence from the Rummyhorror update a long time back: Pat Robertson dead in an "accident", and Steve Symms as the President now. When will we see the Pershing missiles deployed against Capitol Hill?
Well, the President in Rummyhorror was unnamed. I knew that it wasn't Robertson.

Welp, Pat's dead and Coe's taken charge of the CSA. This isn't simply a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it is a case of out of the frying pan and into the nuclear mushroom cloud.

no one

Banned
Hey, I wonder what if rumsfeldia started in lets sa y... 2032 where TRW could automate most of the jobs. What would the situation be for average americans?

Hey, I wonder what if rumsfeldia started in lets sa y... 2032 where TRW could automate most of the jobs. What would the situation be for average americans?

Arguably worse, instead of slashed wages in half, mass layoffs would tank the economy even worse than the cashing of the investment certificates did.

Welp, Pat's dead and Coe's taken charge of the CSA. This isn't simply a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire, as it is a case of out of the frying pan and into the nuclear mushroom cloud.

Well, that, and it looks like nukes were deployed in Florida, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly and Trenton

Status
Not open for further replies.