Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want an updated from Drew.

I wouldn't get to hopeful. The gap between the last two series of updates lasted between January and July. Even then, the July update was a kind of "teaser" describing a TTL James Bond movie (it was still cool though). At this point of distance from the POD, updates must increasingly rely on speculation and imagination rather than calculation of deviation from real life events (i.e. how the intervention against Bayanouni's Caliphate in Syria affected the Cyprus crisis). In my opinion, we will be lucky to get another update by the end of the year. It is still worth the wait in my opinion.

I wouldn't get to hopeful. The gap between the last two series of updates lasted between January and July. Even then, the July update was a kind of "teaser" describing a TTL James Bond movie (it was still cool though). At this point of distance from the POD, updates must increasingly rely on speculation and imagination rather than calculation of deviation from real life events (i.e. how the intervention against Bayanouni's Caliphate in Syria affected the Cyprus crisis). In my opinion, we will be lucky to get another update by the end of the year. It is still worth the wait in my opinion.

I completely agree.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
what is California?
they going to declare independents or just want defeat at Rumsfeld ?

I think they just want to leave the Union at this point to be honest with you; Rumsfeld doesn't have a clear cut unified resistance that can overthrow him, and California just seems in a limbo of Independent/Not Independent that's grown into the elephant in the room. No one really wants to challenge it.

Yet. (Maybe it's taking so long because Drew's detailing an American-California War)

Last edited:

ThePest179

Banned
One big issue I see with all of this is, would the people of post-Rumsfeldia America want a government that's constantly divided? I guess it all comes down to whether the blame is on the right-wingers or the entire political system. But setting up a system of government where the heads of state share power but are at each other's throats is just asking for trouble down the line.

The blame will be almost entirely on the right-wing, as many of the actions Rummy and co. have undertaken are illegal and unconstitutional (ex: Rumsfeld has destroyed the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Amendments with his constant imprisonment, forced incarceration, and murder of political dissidents alone) and can't really be blamed on the political system (except for the exploitation of the Electoral College).

The blame will be almost entirely on the right-wing, as many of the actions Rummy and co. have undertaken are illegal and unconstitutional (ex: Rumsfeld has destroyed the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Amendments with his constant imprisonment, forced incarceration, and murder of political dissidents alone) and can't really be blamed on the political system (except for the exploitation of the Electoral College).

Exactly, I believe when all is said & done post-Rumsfeld America will be extremely mistrustful of anyone, be politician, military type, or just an average citizen, who is right-wing. It'll take a looooong time until right-wingers can show their political, social, & economic views in any significant way again.

I think they just want to leave the Union at this point to be honest with you; Rumsfeld doesn't have a clear cut unified resistance that can overthrow him, and California just seems in a limbo of Independent/Not Independent that's grown into the elephant in the room. No one really wants to challenge it.

Yet. (Maybe it's taking so long because Drew's detailing an American-California War)
I'm just hoping that Hawaii remains independent. :p

:
Given how the invasion of Cuba is going, I'd imagine that any attempt at an amphibious landing on Hawaii will end with the transports spontaneously combusting. :p

Followed by Sergeant First Class Curtis Jackson running through the jungle eating shaved ice that's far superior to the military ration kind. :D

Archibald

Banned
Drew hinted in one comment that Rumsfeld and the Christian Voice cabal will be overthrown in a French Revolution style upheaval (Noam Chomsky's dream;)). If so, there may be corresponding events to the Royalist uprisings in Lyon and Marseilles in the future.
The French revolution was one hell of a bloodbath, notably after 1792, when that charming guy with the name of Robespierre installed La Terreur. Heads rolled by the dozens - in Paris alone something like 3000 people were beheaded within the span of six months.

In Lyon a very crazy asshole with the name of Fouché mass-killed "counter-revolutionnaries" by tying dozens of them with ropes, and then they shot that mass of humans with artillery guns. :eek:

Fouché went on to Lyon in November with Jean-Marie Collot d'Herbois to execute the reprisals of the Convention. Lyon had revolted against the Convention and needed to be dealt with. Lyon, on 23 November, was declared to be in a "state of revolutionary war" by Collot and Fouché. The two men then formed the Temporary Commission for Republican Surveillance. He inaugurated his mission with a festival notable for its obscene parody of religious rites. Fouché and Collot then brought in "a contingent of almost two thousand of the Parisian Revolutionary Army" to begin their terrorizing.[6] "On 4 December, 60 men, chained together, were blasted with grapeshot on the paline de Brotteaux outside the city, and 211 more the following day.[7] Grotesquely ineffective, these mitraillades resulted in heaps of mutilated, screaming, half-dead victims, who had to be finished off with sabres and musket fire by soldiers physically sickened at the task."[8] Events like this made Fouché infamous as "The Executioner of Lyons."[9] The Commission was not happy with the methods used for killing the rebels so, soon after, "more normal firing squads supplemented the guillotine." These methods led to the carrying out of "over 1800 executions in the coming months."[8] Fouché, claiming that "Terror, salutary terror, is now the order of the day here....We are causing much impure blood to flow, but it is our duty to do so, it is for humanity's sake," called for the execution of 1,905 citizens.[9] As Napoleon's biographer Alan Schom has written:[9]
Alas, Fouché's enthusiasm had proved a little too effective, for when the blood from the mass executions in the center of Lyons gushed from severed heads and bodies into the streets, drenching the gutters of the Rue Lafont, the vile-smelling red flow nauseated the local residents, who irately complained to Fouché and demanded payment for damages. Fouché, sensitive to their outcry, obliged them by ordering the executions moved out of the city to the Brotteaux field, along the Rhône.
In another rebelling town (on the Loire, think it was Nantes) they piled up the rioters on barges, and then the barges were blown by explosives and sunk in the middle of the river.

The French revolution is full of crazy slaughters by crazy peoples like Fouché, Marat and Robespierre.

At the end of the day even Robespierre head rolled. In the end the Terreur ate even those responsible of it.

That long post to wish ITTL America good luck if a 1789 revolution ever happens. Particularly since weaponry has much evolved in two centuries.

Can"t imagine a French revolution fought with tactical nuclear weapons. :eek:

Last edited:
The French revolution was one hell of a bloodbath, notably after 1792, when that charming guy with the name of Robespierre installed La Terreur. Heads rolled by the dozens - in Paris alone something like 3000 people were beheaded within the span of six months.

I certainly agree. My inveterate fear has been that the "Second American Revolution" will eventually be dominated not by stable, level-headed, traditional politicians like Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton but by radicalized, fanatical, punkish fruitcakes like Bernardine Dohrn, Bill Ayers, Bobby Seale, Abbie Hoffman, and the old LSD crowd:eek:. Even if the revolution starts out moderate, it could easily be hijacked by radicals over time. History has shown that the longer a revolution is prolonged, the more fanatic and extreme the opposition becomes. There will likely be kangaroo courts galore in the US as "collaborators" are dragged out of their walled neighbourhoods and executed practically on the spot. A left-wing version of McCarthyism will be prevalent as the urge to betray friends, relatives, and colleagues to save your own skin becomes more necessary. There will be a systematic, organized effort to smother the possibility of counter-revolution by possibly even having an American version of a "Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution" where Gone With the Wind, glamour books and magazines, and most Disney movies are destroyed as "fascist, Rumsfeldian propaganda." It will ultimately be as bad or worse than Rumsfeldia.

guinazacity

Banned
I certainly agree. My inveterate fear has been that the "Second American Revolution" will eventually be dominated not by stable, level-headed, traditional politicians like Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton but by radicalized, fanatical, punkish fruitcakes like Bernardine Dohrn, Bill Ayers, Bobby Seale, Abbie Hoffman, and the old LSD crowd:eek:. Even if the revolution starts out moderate, it could easily be hijacked by radicals over time. History has shown that the longer a revolution is prolonged, the more fanatic and extreme the opposition becomes. There will likely be kangaroo courts galore in the US as "collaborators" are dragged out of their walled neighbourhoods and executed practically on the spot. A left-wing version of McCarthyism will be prevalent as the urge to betray friends, relatives, and colleagues to save your own skin becomes more necessary. There will be a systematic, organized effort to smother the possibility of counter-revolution by possibly even having an American version of a "Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution" where Gone With the Wind, glamour books and magazines, and most Disney movies are destroyed as "fascist, Rumsfeldian propaganda." It will ultimately be as bad or worse than Rumsfeldia.

Sotty boys, but the wild ride is jusr beginning :p

That reminds me... whatever happened to Bernardine and all the rest? Back in FLG, there was a lot of stuff about domestic terrorism and the like. I feel like if there was ever a time for the Weathermen and their ilk to come back in force, it's now.

All of that seems to be where Drew is taking us.

Status
Not open for further replies.