Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comparison to many Arab states is actually kind of scary: the idea of America going down the horrible road of Iran, by which a secular nation, due to the moral bankruptcy of its leader, is transformed into an unhinged theocracy.

The good news is, unlike Iran, America had regional governments that still remained true to the Constitution.

About whether or not faith will still have a place in America, well, lets make some comparisons to Germany.

Germany was for a long time a deeply nationalistic society. Many, many Germans believing in crushing communism and taking back Polish lands. These values were considered pretty normal, even though people like Ferdinand Foch realized just how dangerous and destructive they could be.

Yes, not every nationalist supported the Nazis. Even people like Paul von Hindenburg who did end up working with the Nazis still found Hitler to be utterly repugnant as a person. But like a cancer cell, Hitler's malignance was not easily identifiable to the German body, and soon he turned Germany from merely a nationalistic nation into a death factory.

Thus, post-war Germany would forever be a nation that rejected hardline nationalism. Even ex-Nazis who escaped the noose would not form new political movements designed to revive German ambitions.

America's relationship with religious authority is...mixed.

Yes, there were many, many people who were guided toward good causes by their faith. William Lloyd Garrison and the Quakers used religion to push for the end of slavery. MLK and many civil rights activists used religion to push the ideal of a color-blind America. Solomon Northup was also a man steered by deep religious convictions, which kept him going in his period of enslavement. ITTL, Elvis had turned away from his dangerously hedonistic lifestyle because of his faith in God.

But religion in America OTL has some undeniably pernicious influences, predating Rumsfeld. Many religious figures have sought to use their faith to justify social control. Joseph Breen, a deeply Catholic man, used his influence to become a Hollywood censor. Because of him, references to fascism were absent from movies in the 1930s, when they could've been used to make people aware of the threat of the Nazis.

Other religious groups have long endorsed racism and segregation, or even justified it using the Bible. Like the Curse of Ham and other Bible passages cherry-picked for specific causes. Many, many Southern Baptists could preach love, while ignoring the vicious discrimination and mistreatment of their African American neighbors.

Others believed that public schools should be essentially outlets for religious belief, pushing for prayers in public schools, and demanding that books teaching evolution should be banned.

Other religious have taken up policies that were outright reactionary. OTL, Phyllis Schlafly eviscerated the ERA movement with appeals to Christian motherhood. Many preachers like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson happily endorsed homophobia and misogyny as "Christian values".

Other religious figures are often defenders of the status quo, seeking to use their faith to defend incredibly toxic figures. Instead of fighting the injustices of society and the exploitation of the poor, many other religious figures, including the above, endorsed wealthy and powerful people, and convinced millions of Americans their biggest problem is sex in movies and comic books.

TTL the endorsement of corrupt officials is especially notable. When Rumsfeld was taking a wrecking ball to the Constitution and workers' rights, the Christian Values Party, a party built directly from religious fervor, happily jumped on the Rumsfeld bandwagon, endorsing his unhinged and vile policies for their own ends., whether religious or temporal. The CVs used their base to push for the 28th amendment, a document so odious and contrary to American republican ideals, its existence itself should be an impeachable offense.

When the Pope spoke out against rapacious greed, the fucking Vice President, Jack Edwards, had the nerve to attack the Pope and his religious beliefs.

Jeremiah Denton, an otherwise decent man, saw little problem with what Rumsfeld was doing, and willingly joined his cabinet. It was only when Rumsfeld began treating loyal soldiers like wounded horse that Denton began to oppose Rumsfeld. But by the time Denton came around, it was too late for Denton to make a difference.

Even the principle of Christian charity was horribly corrupted, as the CVs happily exploited the impoverished American people to get their votes in exchange for some aid.

Religious authority aided Rumsfeld as he tore the US and its ideals to shreds. And when religious authority gained power, they destroyed what little chances of America remaining a world power by plunging into a violent civil war.

And the damage done to America-nuclear strikes, chemical weapons, environmental damage, mass murder-are things that Elvis and his followers can't fix. No matter how hard they try, they can't resurrect the dead, or rebuild the country. That requires the help of outside nations that are mostly secular.

Christian ideals ITTL will never, ever hold the same power and influence they once held. And in spite of the well-meaning religious individuals who resist Rumsfeldia, their help will be dwarfed by the horrible, horrible actions of people like Douglas Coe. An entire generation of young Americans will rightly blame Christian fanaticism for their hardship and the death of their families.

This makes me wonder if Christianity will be seen as the biggest threat to global peace in later years, maybe even taking the place of Islam? Or maybe, with the events both in American and the Middle East, this'll spawn a whole new generation of militant atheists who consider religion the cause behind all of this. I could see whole armies of anti-religious extremists destroying all religious institutions and artifacts they can find. Maybe this could even lead to people seeing Christianity on par with Communism in OTL. Like a Jesus Scare, where people around the world fear that anything christian is the easy road to tyranny and violence.

This makes me wonder if Christianity will be seen as the biggest threat to global peace in later years, maybe even taking the place of Islam? Or maybe, with the events both in American and the Middle East, this'll spawn a whole new generation of militant atheists who consider religion the cause behind all of this. I could see whole armies of anti-religious extremists destroying all religious institutions and artifacts they can find. Maybe this could even lead to people seeing Christianity on par with Communism in OTL. Like a Jesus Scare, where people around the world fear that anything christian is the easy road to tyranny and violence.
I'm going to say no. Simply because the entire Western World is mostly Christian, and they don't want to tar themselves with the same brush. Happened with Germany; yes, racist utra-nationalism was to blame, but the Western Allies were also racist, nationalist states, so the failure had to be within Germany. They've since grown and realized the error of thinking that way, but the thinking stuck for a long time. It's easier than potentially pointing the blame at yourself. The same will happen here; people will blame the Americans for being too easily swayed by religion, if only to avoid thinking too hard about themselves. That too will pass, but the uncomfortable stereotype will persist quite a while.

But in light how a lot of people said Islam is the big threat to Western civilization and indeed humanity as a whole, it makes me chuckle.

I'm going to say no. Simply because the entire Western World is mostly Christian, and they don't want to tar themselves with the same brush. Happened with Germany; yes, racist utra-nationalism was to blame, but the Western Allies were also racist, nationalist states, so the failure had to be within Germany. They've since grown and realized the error of thinking that way, but the thinking stuck for a long time. It's easier than potentially pointing the blame at yourself. The same will happen here; people will blame the Americans for being too easily swayed by religion, if only to avoid thinking too hard about themselves. That too will pass, but the uncomfortable stereotype will persist quite a while.

But in light how a lot of people said Islam is the big threat to Western civilization and indeed humanity as a whole, it makes me chuckle.

The outcome is not necessarily the end of Christian faith, but instead an accelerated trend toward secularism in Western nations, especially in the United States.

The power of religious fanaticism to trash the United States will be a chilling lesson for years to come.

Basically, Drew used the TL to take Tea Party ideas to the woodshed, showing how horrible if a President "shrunk' the federal government.
Shrinking the federal government, curtailing regulations, letting Big Business go rampant... pretty much the idea of laissez-faire economy done poorly.

Shrinking the federal government, curtailing regulations, letting Big Business go rampant... pretty much the idea of laissez-faire economy done poorly.

Calling Rumsfeldia "laissez faire" is a myth. Rummy happily used regulation against people who "weren't" his corporate backers, and spent the kitchen sink on wars no one asked for.

It was blatant cronyism of the highest order.

Calling Rumsfeldia "laissez faire" is a myth. Rummy happily used regulation against people who "weren't" his corporate backers, and spent the kitchen sink on wars no one asked for.

It was blatant cronyism of the highest order.
Okay, true. If there were really laissez-faire economy in place, he wouldn't be putting so many rules and regulations favoring the big companies. Let alone using Liberty Battalions to enforce said rules as corporate goons.

Okay, true. If there were really laissez-faire economy in place, he wouldn't be putting so many rules and regulations favoring the big companies. Let alone using Liberty Battalions to enforce said rules as corporate goons.

I can imagine Libertarians, while remaining true to the ideals of laissez-faire, would utterly reject cronyism. OTL, they dislike tax dollars being given to political cronies.

I'm not so sure-with the utter disaster that was Rummy's economic policy, even libertarians will have to acknowledge the necessity of SOME form of economic regulation.

Again, they could make the case that his economic policies were essentially "Republican Sovietism" by creating state-owned enterprises in all but name.

But again, their focus would be not toward de-regulation, but against the coddling of big business.

Btw, been thinking about the suicide bombers bit I talked about in a previous post, and the more I thought about it, the less sense it would make for the CVs to use them. See, it's a cultural thing; the societies that 'suicide attackers' arose from promote the community and the clan over the individual, whereas the US is a rather individualistic society, in the sense that its culture and media promote the individual and the 'frontier spirit'. Whether it be Japanese 'kamikaze' fighter pilots, Tamil suicide bombers, or Arab mujaheddin, there was an element of their society that promotes sacrifice for the group, and ideas that seem appealing to a would-be martyr. Reincarnation, the promise of Paradise, the faith in a higher religious figure, etc...

The USA generally has none of those, even to radical Christians. In fact, there seems to be an element of selfishness in US religion, particularly the Evangelical Christian crowd; if you're doing well, then God has blessed you, but if you're poor, then it must be your fault. As a result, this doesn't really encourage self-sacrifice and asceticism. While you're bound to have people who believe in God to the degree of the Iranian youths of the Iran-Iraq War (who used to run in burial shrouds and slippers across minefields because the Ayatollah told them it was a fast path to Heaven) almost anywhere, there's no real readiness to use them as organic smart bombs except in cases of extreme desperation. Though they seem to be willing to go through 'unfaithful' underlings the way a Bond villain goes through minions who have 'failed him'. :p

The USA generally has none of those, even to radical Christians. In fact, there seems to be an element of selfishness in US religion, particularly the Evangelical Christian crowd; if you're doing well, then God has blessed you, but if you're poor, then it must be your fault. As a result, this doesn't really encourage self-sacrifice and asceticism. While you're bound to have people who believe in God to the degree of the Iranian youths of the Iran-Iraq War (who used to run in burial shrouds and slippers across minefields because the Ayatollah told them it was a fast path to Heaven) almost anywhere, there's no real readiness to use them as organic smart bombs except in cases of extreme desperation. Though they seem to be willing to go through 'unfaithful' underlings the way a Bond villain goes through minions who have 'failed him'. :p

Is that really the essence of Evangelical Christianity? Poverty is for those who have no faith? Does that mean people who were born poor were damned to hell?

Damn, that is some medieval shit right there! I feel horrible for someone who actually does believe such poisonous nonsense.

Is that really the essence of Evangelical Christianity? Poverty is for those who have no faith? Does that mean people who were born poor were damned to hell?

Damn, that is some medieval shit right there! I feel horrible for someone who actually does believe such poisonous nonsense.
I may have misquoted. It's not so much "the poor are damned to hell" as the idea that wealth and status are possibly signs of divine favor, something that dovetails nicely with the idea of prosperity and the American dream. The idea that the poor and jobless are "just lazy", something which has been repeatedly and brutally disproven but nonetheless continues to hold the belief of many, especially the rich elite, since it vindicates their lifestyle.
While I wouldn't say that American Christianity is like that, that pretty much covers it.

Yeah, I've heard of it, including the hilariously cutting John Oliver segment on tax exempt churches.

I may have misquoted. It's not so much "the poor are damned to hell" as the idea that wealth and status are possibly signs of divine favor, something that dovetails nicely with the idea of prosperity and the American dream. The idea that the poor and jobless are "just lazy", something which has been repeatedly and brutally disproven but nonetheless continues to hold the belief of many, especially the rich elite, since it vindicates their lifestyle.

While I wouldn't say that American Christianity is like that, that pretty much covers it.

Thus, it wouldn't be really surprising to see the Evangelicals recreate slavery in their "moral decency centers?" After all, it is the lazy godless bums that are just making up for their sin and squalor, not the hard working billionaire endowed with faith? You can justify the horrible things you are doing to these poor people because you've convinced your followers that they are lazy.

Man, it really depresses me how easy it is for people to see other human beings as less then human.

Just some questions about what’s been covered in this timeline recently:

1. Do the CV’s and their movement have any sort of sympathising element among Protestant Evangelicals abroad? And are they treated as some sort of security threat in the wake of all that is going on? I’m thinking in particular of places with large evangelical populations, like South Korea and Latin America. The links between America and fundamentalist Protestants in Northern Ireland obviously existed with Rumsfeld before, I imagine they will only grow with the rise of the CV and with Ian Paisley in hiding in the US. Also American backing of Malan’s South Africa would probably undermine any potential support in African communities.

2. Several influential evangelicals in this period don’t seem to have cropped up in the story as far as I can tell. Billy Graham seems to have taken a strong stand against the CV regime, but what’s Jerry Falwell up to? Or James Robison (some of the rhetoric from his OTL speeches wouldn’t sound out of place in the CV led America of TTL)?

1. Do the CV’s and their movement have any sort of sympathising element among Protestant Evangelicals abroad? And are they treated as some sort of security threat in the wake of all that is going on? I’m thinking in particular of places with large evangelical populations, like South Korea and Latin America. The links between America and fundamentalist Protestants in Northern Ireland obviously existed with Rumsfeld before, I imagine they will only grow with the rise of the CV and with Ian Paisley in hiding in the US. Also American backing of Malan’s South Africa would probably undermine any potential support in African communities.
If there was any support from Evangelicals outside the USA/CSA, it probably evaporated when Coe & Friends broke out the nukes.
2. Several influential evangelicals in this period don’t seem to have cropped up in the story as far as I can tell. Billy Graham seems to have taken a strong stand against the CV regime, but what’s Jerry Falwell up to? Or James Robison (some of the rhetoric from his OTL speeches wouldn’t sound out of place in the CV led America of TTL)?
If they haven't been mentioned, then odds are that they've sided with Coe.

Reverend Presley would be better known to you a Elvis Presley, rock and roll superstar who ITTL survived his 1970s drug abuse and turned to faith as a preacher and priest. He stands as a voice of moderation and cooperation in the face of CV radical fundamentalism.
That’s actually kind of a relief. Is it wrong that I hope he gets through this timeline unscathed?

Status
Not open for further replies.