I don't see any maps here either. How did you link them in the posts?

As for the TL, it is interesting...though a bit ASB. It seems more than a million Romanians have suddenly appeared in all sorts of expected and unexpected places.

Unless what we're reading is actually a heavy example of "history is written by the winners?" That would be pretty clever, even if it leaves the question of how the super-big Romania was actually created, then.

Zagan

Donor
About the maps:

Please help!

It seems that I don't know how to insert an image.

I can see the maps very well.

I do not understand what is wrong and I do not know how to "fix" it if it doeas not appear broken here.
I do not know what I did wrong...

Zagan - have you tried uploading the maps to another site and linking to them, instead of attaching them here? That's what I usually do with images.

1.XXIII

Zagan

Donor
XXIII. After the Great War

The Great War was officially over.
Romania has increased its territory by a few percent, adding Bosnia, Bukovina, Pokutia, Bessarabia, Turkish Thrace (still under British control) and some yet unknown parts of Galicia and Dalmatia (still under Italian control). Besides that, Romania had effective control of Hungary, Albania and Transnistria.

However, the overall situation was not so good as it seemed to be.
The Romanian armies were fighting in Ukraine and Turkey, hundreds of kilometers away from home.
It can be said that the mighty Romanian army was not in a very good shape any more.
The morale was low. In Turkey nobody really understood even the reason they were fighting, much less the final goal. In Russia, even if the reason was clear (the liberation of the Romanians trapped there), the conditions were horrendous and the war extremely brutal.
The casualties mounted and more and more people wanted the wars to stop and the army to get back home. Some pacifists even started to create agitation in Romania.
Romania had lost over one million soldiers in the Great War and more and more were lost every day. Even with the recruits from the new territories, the shortage of soldiers was obvious.

The economic situation was even worse. Having suffered occupation and enormous destruction during the war in which the front lines moves back and forth though the country, the Romanian economy was in disarray.
To make matters even worse, the country's financial reserves were almost exhausted and without hard currency the trade was difficult.
The inflation was high so the Romanian Leu had very little value and no foreign power agreed to be payed in Lei anymore.

By 1923 it became clear that the war effort was unsustenable.
There simply weren't enough money anymore.
The soldiers could not be paid. The workers at the factories producing for the army could not be paid. The army lacked almost everything: food, adequate clothing, oil, ammunition, modern weaponry especially aircraft and tanks etc.

In April 1923 the Romanian economy started to give signs of imminent collapse. The Romanian government decided to stop the wars and bring the army home.

The Army High Command replied that civilians have already catastrophically meddled in the military matters in 1916. The order to attempt to keep control of Southern Romania against all odds got the army to near collapse and lost hundreds of thousands of lives.
To put it in fewer words, the army disregarded the order to retreat and continued the military opperations in Russia. Only the army from Turkey retreated to the European side of the Turkish Straits.

The government cut all military spending and basicly left the army in Russia on its own. The army decided to live "off the land".
The government anounced that they are to be considered volunteers waging war on their own against communism and Romania should not be held responsable of their actions.
Germany and the German army were in the same situation, so it seemed to be ok.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
As for the TL, it is interesting...though a bit ASB. It seems more than a million Romanians have suddenly appeared in all sorts of expected and unexpected places.

Unless what we're reading is actually a heavy example of "history is written by the winners?" That would be pretty clever, even if it leaves the question of how the super-big Romania was actually created, then.

In a nutshell: In all the initial OTL Proto-Romanian area the Romanians were NOT assimilated and multiplied in numbers. They emigrated / radiated into the adjoing regions. No political power, no official recognition. Then, the National Revival.

Zagan

Donor
I will do something about the maps as soon as possible.
And even more maps will follow soon.
Please do not abandon the thread because of that fluke. Have a little patience with a newcomer, please.

1.XXIV

Zagan

Donor
XXIV. After the Great War (2)

In Western and Northern Europe everything was almost as in OTL (2 years later though).

Because Soviet Russia was weaker:
- Finland was bigger
- Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have avoided war on their territories.
- Poland conquered the whole Byelorussia and Volhynia.
- Romania has conquered the rest of Ukraine.
- Georgia and Armenia were independent.
All of them plus various Russian groups, elements from the German Army and expeditionary forces sent by some Entente Powers were fighting the Soviets.

Turkey has still won its War of Independence, conquering Smirna, much of Western Armenia, Kurdistan and getting Constantinopole back.
The population exchanges were greater both in scope and in numbers than OTL. All the muslims from Romania and Greece were sent to Turkey and all the Greeks from Turkey were sent to Greece. To make room for them, Romania received the Romanian population from Greece en masse and settled them throughout Romania.
The Autonomy of Thessaly was no longer necessary and was abolished.
Thus, Greece solved both its national problems at once and remained a small, ethnically compact, Greek State.

Romania and Poland agreed on their common border in Galicia.
Romania and Italy partitioned Dalmatia in a mutually advantageous way: Italy got all the important ports (Zara, Catarro, Spalato, Ragusa etc), leaving all the hinterland to Romania.
Later, with Italian support, Romania anexxed the little Albanian Protectorate (excepting Valona, which was Italian). The League of Nations issued a protest, but nobody really cared.

German Austria united with the German Realm after a clear plebiscite.
After the international recognition of the German Unification, in November 1923, a similar plebiscite was organized in Hungary. The Unification with Romania passed with 82% Yes.
The League of Nations protested again and called the plebiscite "rigged".
After a diplomatic uproar, a new plebiscite was called, this time with international observers present. Somehow it passed again, but this time with only 51,1% Yes votes.
On 10 May 1924, Hungary united with Romania. The Slovak and Croatian autonomies were mantained and a Hungarian autonomy was also created in Pannonia.

With Britain and France less and less friendly and accomodating, Romania started to look around for new possible aliances, Poland, Greece and Italy being the only real variants. Or maybe even Germany?!
After a while, two defensive alliances were signed: with Poland against Russia (but not Germany) and with Greece against Turkey (but not Italy).

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
United Romania in 1916

3. United Romania in 1916.png

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Romanian Theatre of the Great War

4. Great War.png

Legend:
Black line: Maximum Romanian advance in the invasion of Austria-Hungary
Red line: The Front thoughout most of the war
Blue line: Maximum German advance in the Romanian campaign

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Romania after the 1921 Paris Peace Treaty

5. Paris Peace 1921.png

Legend:
Dark Green: Romania before the war
Diagonal Cross: Annexed by Treaty (Bosnia and Moldavian regions)
Vertical Dark: Condominium by Treaty, to be partitioned (Galicia with Poland and Dalmatia with Italy)
Horizontal Light: Military occupation (Hungary and Transnistria)
Diagonal Dark: Protectorate (Albania) and Autonomous Province in Greece (Thessaly)
Light Green: Maximal Irredentist claims before the Great War.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor

Maybe I am stupid. I am clearly missing something here.
What can I do:
1. Keep trying other methods...
2. Maybe someone will be so nice to give me a point by point How-to...
3. Find someone near me to help me / show me in person.
4. Mail the damn maps to someone who can post them for me!

Zagan

Donor
Romania in 1922

6. Romania 1922.png

Notes:
1. Galicia was partitioned with Poland.
2. Dalmatia was partitioned with Italy. (Italy got the islands and ports)
3. The Irredentist claims (light green) changed a little.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Romania in 1924

7. Romania 1924.png

Notes:
1. After the Unification with Hungary, the annexation of the Albanian Protectorate and Turkish Thrace.
2. Romania did not have any claims against Greece (population transfer), Italy, Slovenia, Germany and Poland.
3. Transnistria was never annexated.
4. The black lines show the maximum Romanian advances into Russia and Turkey.

Last edited: